Strange reactions to success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone's talking about reactions from everyone else.... I don't know if this is 'normal' or not... but lately I'm noticing I'm not as excited about the thought of vet school as I thought I should be. I know that when the time comes, I will be glad for being accepted and am looking forward to the career.... but.... well.... the joyous, giddy, "OH MY GOD" reaction-- never really had that. Kind-of concerns me (but not all that much).

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone's talking about reactions from everyone else.... I don't know if this is 'normal' or not... but lately I'm noticing I'm not as excited about the thought of vet school as I thought I should be. I know that when the time comes, I will be glad for being accepted and am looking forward to the career.... but.... well.... the joyous, giddy, "OH MY GOD" reaction-- never really had that. Kind-of concerns me (but not all that much).

The giddy OMG!!! reaction wears off around week 3 of classes anyway, so you're not really missing out on much.

Members don't see this ad :)
The strangest or meanest response to success I got was from a vet that was fired from where I used to work shortly after I went to vet school. When I let another vet know that her letter of recommendation helped me get into all the schools I applied to, and also obtain some scholarship money, this other vet said, "Gee, I wish I was a minority so I could have gotten money for school." As someone who had done years of research, did very well on my GRE, and graduated with very decent marks, I felt so angry that she (after admitting that she applied to school 3 years in a row) would question my ability to get into a veterinary program. I didn't say anything in response and the experience pretty much ruined my day.

The strangest or meanest response to success I got was from a vet that was fired from where I used to work shortly after I went to vet school. When I let another vet know that her letter of recommendation helped me get into all the schools I applied to, and also obtain some scholarship money, this other vet said, "Gee, I wish I was a minority so I could have gotten money for school." As someone who had done years of research, did very well on my GRE, and graduated with very decent marks, I felt so angry that she (after admitting that she applied to school 3 years in a row) would question my ability to get into a veterinary program. I didn't say anything in response and the experience pretty much ruined my day.
I think it's (unfortunately) fairly common for minorities to get that kind of response to being accepted to a professional program. I'm Latina and have had several people assume that my ethnicity helped me get in- which really ticks me off. I worked hard throughout my academic career just like everyone else! I deserve it just as much as anyone! Geez. Mostly I think it's bitterness/jealousy and should be politely ignored.
Still irritating though

I thought I would be apathetic about the whole thing.....but then when it actually came down to the wire, 3 days or so before they started notifications, and then when I actually found out, I was shocked how it affected me physically (excitement, nerves, sick, pounding heart etc.). You might be suprised once it gets really really REALLY close.

Or you might not! ANd that's fine to. Some of my really big goals in life I reached and then it was just like "OK", and not much else. When I finished Tevis (a 100 mile horse race I had been dreaming about for 10 years), I was so focused that I wasn't really excited, and then once I did finish, I was so sick and tired it was anticlamatic. Even now, it's hard for me to get excited about that accomplishment - so much work went into it, and when I talk to people about it (people come up to me a lot and say "I heard you finished TEVIS!!!") it's hard for me to know how to respond. The excitement is more personal - like when I see a full moon and the weather turns warm - there's a surge of adrenaline - but not so much contemplating the event of actually REACHING MY GOAL.

Vet school could have turned out the same way, but I'm happy that I was able to be all giddy and silly about it. :) I don't do that very often. the stakes were also higher though (already told work I was quitting, already moving, no plan B etc.) which may have contributed. With other goals, including Tevis it's kind of an "eh - try again nexct year" - especially because I live in the area. In fact when I DID finish Tevis it was on my second try - so not nearly as much anticipation wrapped up in it, which may be similar to getting accpeted in after 2 rounds of application (but I dont' know - guessing here).

I thought I would be apathetic about the whole thing.....but then when it actually came down to the wire, 3 days or so before they started notifications, and then when I actually found out, I was shocked how it affected me physically (excitement, nerves, sick, pounding heart etc.). You might be suprised once it gets really really REALLY close.

Or you might not! ANd that's fine to. Some of my really big goals in life I reached and then it was just like "OK", and not much else. When I finished Tevis (a 100 mile horse race I had been dreaming about for 10 years), I was so focused that I wasn't really excited, and then once I did finish, I was so sick and tired it was anticlamatic. Even now, it's hard for me to get excited about that accomplishment - so much work went into it, and when I talk to people about it (people come up to me a lot and say "I heard you finished TEVIS!!!") it's hard for me to know how to respond. The excitement is more personal - like when I see a full moon and the weather turns warm - there's a surge of adrenaline - but not so much contemplating the event of actually REACHING MY GOAL.

Vet school could have turned out the same way, but I'm happy that I was able to be all giddy and silly about it. :) I don't do that very often. the stakes were also higher though (already told work I was quitting, already moving, no plan B etc.) which may have contributed. With other goals, including Tevis it's kind of an "eh - try again nexct year" - especially because I live in the area. In fact when I DID finish Tevis it was on my second try - so not nearly as much anticipation wrapped up in it, which may be similar to getting accpeted in after 2 rounds of application (but I dont' know - guessing here).

This is my third go round at trying to get in. It's felt like I've been bashing my head against a wall for the past few years.... now that I'm not, I guess I'm feeling a bit lost....

Another part of the whole 'not feeling excited' has to do with the fact that I'm keeping it a secret from my employer and co-workers (my boss just might be the kind of person to fire me on the spot... not because I'm a bad worker... but because he's just screwy like that). My SO and I talk about vet school but if I talk too much about it, he gets to feeling like I'm not focusing on everyday life and mentally removing myself from living here with him.... yet if I talk too little about it, I'm keeping things from him. I want to be excited about it... I really do... it's just difficult.

I think it's (unfortunately) fairly common for minorities to get that kind of response to being accepted to a professional program. I'm Latina and have had several people assume that my ethnicity helped me get in- which really ticks me off. I worked hard throughout my academic career just like everyone else!

Oddly enough, considering I'm a middle-aged white guy in central U.S. .... I think I sorta understand that. I can't count how many times I've had people say to me "Oh, you won't have any trouble getting in because you're a guy and they need guys."

I always think back to how hard I worked for straight A's, and finding the time to shadow/volunteer/etc (while working full time and being the only income in our family, helping to raise two kids, etc)....

Anyway, I figure at the least it's given me a tiny, tiny taste of what it might be like to be a minority 100% of the time.

Some of my really big goals in life I reached and then it was just like "OK", and not much else.

I find that I enjoy the moment for about ... one day. After that I sorta look at things, feel slightly lost, and say "Um... now what?" I think it comes from being someone who likes to be busy with multiple projects on the burner. If I don't have some big goal in the works, I feel like all slothy. And no, that's not word.

If I'm called off the waitlist, I expect it's going to be kind of anticlimactic when it happens.

I was so on edge when the initial decisions came out, and I suspect if I'd gotten in outright, there would've been that standard screaming phone call response. Instead, I've spent the past month and a half knowing it'll probably happen, everybody and their mother knows, and the "OMG" factor really isn't there anymore. Being waitlisted kinda stole my thunder. ;) I'll be happy, for sure... but it will definitely be a quieter sort of happy than most people are probably expecting.

And the next person who makes a remark about how "easy" I made the process look (tanking my first attempt at college and potentially getting accepted on the first try)? I am going to sit on them. The past few years have been insane. I earned this, darn it! :laugh:

Oddly enough, considering I'm a middle-aged white guy in central U.S. .... I think I sorta understand that. I can't count how many times I've had people say to me "Oh, you won't have any trouble getting in because you're a guy and they need guys."

I always think back to how hard I worked for straight A's, and finding the time to shadow/volunteer/etc (while working full time and being the only income in our family, helping to raise two kids, etc)....

Anyway, I figure at the least it's given me a tiny, tiny taste of what it might be like to be a minority 100% of the time.
Definitely! Perhaps I should have been more specific and mentioned that it does happen to people of all races and ages, etc. at one time or another. It's just annoying to have all your hard work devalued!
Plus, in my case, there's the fact that I'm an Ecuadorian girl adopted and raised by a Caucasian family. So it's even more annoying to hear put-downs like that when I really am literally on basically the same opportunity level/socioeconomic status as most of my white classmates. Oh well! Here's to hard work- regardless of anything else! :laugh:

Ha, yeah, being a guy, I've heard that, too. If anything, one of my unfair advantages was being a part-time professional tutor for standardized tests at one of the big companies for 5 years before taking the GRE and getting a big discount on a course and materials.

How about this message I got from a tech I used to work with:

"glad to hear all your hard work paid off. you're going to hate
IL(since i'm from there...i should know!) also....some of the worst vets i've ever worked w/ have come from there! do lots and lots of extra work and research....please!!! congrats!!!"

Members don't see this ad :)

IL(since i'm from there...i should know!) also....some of the worst vets i've ever worked w/ have come from there! do lots and lots of extra work and research....please!!! congrats!!!"

Well that's a compliment sandwich if I've ever seen one.

Speechless.

Well that's a compliment sandwich if I've ever seen one.

I know, right? I was celebrating with family and got this message on FB, and it was a bit of a downer.

I'm trying to take it with a grain of salt because this same woman mocked a girl we worked with when she got into Davis, saying, "Wow, Davis really will take any old spineless idiot." (or something to that effect, because she thought the girl had no personality)

ugh. I sort of want to punch her in the face.

a jealous, insecure, and unhappy woman who uses the opportunity to lash out at ppl.

Hey squib, couldn't find a chicken, so I guess a turkey will do.
hatersGonnaHate.jpg

You are correct. It's too bad she used to be a good friend, who helped me through a rough time, otherwise I would write her off completely.

Congrats to your acceptance! The best way to counter is showing her how happy and successful you are! You are going to be a VET! How awesome is that!!!! :thumbup::highfive:

I was so on edge when the initial decisions came out, and I suspect if I'd gotten in outright, there would've been that standard screaming phone call response. Instead, I've spent the past month and a half knowing it'll probably happen, everybody and their mother knows, and the "OMG" factor really isn't there anymore. Being waitlisted kinda stole my thunder. ;) I'll be happy, for sure... but it will definitely be a quieter sort of happy than most people are probably expecting.

This^^^ I was waitlisted at KSU, did the devastated WAITLIST?!?!?!??! mope around all day, then got over it.

Then I got my academic evaluation from Mizzou, did some scouting around, and realized that I had a pretty dang good chance of getting in. I tried to just go along with the plan B, but every time I tried to sign up for next semester classes or work, the people would say things like "Oh, why bother? you won't be here anyway." And I knew that acceptances come in big brown packets...

so when my big brown packet came, all the OMG! kinda whooshed outta me. I actually just cried when I opened it. Less of a happy cry and more of a "Oh **** life as I know it is over," but I let everyone think they were happy tears.

I know this has been mentioned 2470572957 times, but I HATE those who say "I knew ya would!" Grr. Act a little excited for me. Leap around a bit.

I know this has been mentioned 2470572957 times, but I HATE those who say "I knew ya would!" Grr. Act a little excited for me. Leap around a bit.

Yeah... I hate that reaction. Especially from individuals that don't even know what all vet school consists of... "it's a two-year program, right?"

I'm so glad I've never encountered these people who think vet school is a 2 year thing. I'm not sure how I'd react to that, except to stare blankly at them for awhile, in hopes that they weren't serious.

At one of my interviews we had a long discussion about the misconceptions about vet school. My interviewer apparently actually experienced the whole

"your cousin is going to vet school in the fall"
"oh where?"
"it's an online program"

thing. When I started hearing about interviews I told one of my coworkers at the shelter and his response was "Oh cool. But you won't a doctor like Dr. X or Dr. Y right?" And I had to explain to him that yes, it was veterinary school. I would be a doctor just like the vets we work with.

If only our future clients knew how much went into this career!

"Oh cool. But you won't a doctor like Dr. X or Dr. Y right?"

Yowtch! :eek: Some of these responses people are hearing are mind-boggling.

HUGE congratulations to EVERYONE here who has been accepted! WE know what went into it!

Last night, I received a summer internship position at an animal agriculture program and will spend the summer in Michigan. I told my mom who went off on me. "Now we won't get the discount at the animal hospital! (Because I won't be going home to work.) You may not see Biscuit again! (My almost 16 year old cocker spaniel who she knows I love more than anything.) I bought us tickets to go horse back riding and now you can't go!? (What? Didn't know about this and I am allergic to horses:confused:) Where will you put your stuff over the summer? (Storage unit like last year?) You won't be able to go to Germany! (Yes, I will. I already told the interviewer that I needed 2 weeks off to visit family abroad.)"
No congrats, good job, or anything like that. So now I feel incredibly guilt and selfish for not going home. Argh.

a jealous, insecure, and unhappy woman who uses the opportunity to lash out at ppl.

YES. Better to have to work/otherwise deal with people like that than BE one of them. They have to hang out with themselves 24/7.

When I started hearing about interviews I told one of my coworkers at the shelter and his response was "Oh cool. But you won't a doctor like Dr. X or Dr. Y right?" And I had to explain to him that yes, it was veterinary school. I would be a doctor just like the vets we work with. QUOTE]

Most of the techs I work with have been amazing and truly excited for me... but there are two who are just sticks-in-the-mud.

One did the flippant "Well, I could have done if it I wanted to, but I DIDN'T want to. So I went to tech school." And she went on and on about her excellent grades and the hours she put into it and blah blah blah. I asked why she didn't apply, and she looked me straight in the eye and said "Because I have responsi-BIL-ities." Emphasis on the Bil. Ooo--kay.

The other didn't know that you had to do undergrad classes before you did vet school. She knew I've been at undergrad for the past three years, so when I mentioned that "Yeah, now it's only four more years of school!" She said "What have you been DOING all this time? I thought you were in school?"

Eek. And sometimes, I just listen to peoples' response and think...

"yup, you're...

JEALOUS."

omg. All of you, your post are just so amazing, (and the responses you wrote about completely ridiculous), that if I were to quote and comment on each one it would be way too long of a post.

All I can say is, Thank god I am going to be surrounded by intelligent people for the next four years!

When I started hearing about interviews I told one of my coworkers at the shelter and his response was "Oh cool. But you won't a doctor like Dr. X or Dr. Y right?" And I had to explain to him that yes, it was veterinary school. I would be a doctor just like the vets we work with. QUOTE]

Most of the techs I work with have been amazing and truly excited for me... but there are two who are just sticks-in-the-mud.

One did the flippant "Well, I could have done if it I wanted to, but I DIDN'T want to. So I went to tech school." And she went on and on about her excellent grades and the hours she put into it and blah blah blah. I asked why she didn't apply, and she looked me straight in the eye and said "Because I have responsi-BIL-ities." Emphasis on the Bil. Ooo--kay.

The other didn't know that you had to do undergrad classes before you did vet school. She knew I've been at undergrad for the past three years, so when I mentioned that "Yeah, now it's only four more years of school!" She said "What have you been DOING all this time? I thought you were in school?"

Eek. And sometimes, I just listen to peoples' response and think...

"yup, you're...

JEALOUS."

I will admit, I AM jealous, it doesn't help when ppl rub it in either. Like this girl I know. She saw me the other day and mentioned that I looked familiar(haha she knew exactly who I was.) Then she said, "Didn't you apply to vet school?" and I said, "Yep." She replied, "But you didn't get in, did you." and I said, "I don't know, I'm on the waitlist and won't know anything until at least April 15th." Then she said, "Oh well I got my acceptance already, so you should know whether or not you are in." I just looked at her blankly trying to understand how someone could be so insensitive, and wondering if I heard her wrong. I pretended not to be hurt and went on with another conversation with someone else. Later on I asked my husband if that is what she had really said and he thought so and also thought it was weird that I didn't have more of a reaction to her comment.
Aaaanyway I would have been more happy for her if she hadn't been such a b**ch.

Oh just learned of one of my own 'strange reactions' this past weekend. Evidently my grandparents are so very very surprised that I'm in vet school! The people who've known me for 23 years never knew I liked animals! In fact, they thought I disliked them. ¿Que?

Hahaha, so true..

I really couldn't understand when people bitched about vet school while I was an undergrad. "You're in, you're doing it, be happy!"

Now I totally get it...

The main vet I work with basically thinks Davis vets have their heads up their a***es when they graduate and are completely incompetent. The first thing she said when I told her I got in was "you best keep your feet on the ground, don't let them make you think you're God's gift to this earth". Apparently she has had really bad experiences working with recent Davis grads and actually fired a few about 10 years ago in succession. She basically made it seem like she thought I'd be more competent if I went somewhere else.... :confused: Guess I can say goodbye to her hiring me when I graduate....Totally annoying to have someone take a dump on your accomplishment/excitement right out of the gate.I just keep telling myself to keep calm and composed and not stoop to that level. What's even more confusing is she knew Davis was my first choice and wrote me a recommendation AND she regularly refers clients to Davis as well. It's like the only reason she supports me going to Davis is because it's IS for me and the cheapest option. The other vet has been very happy for me though, so that's been nice.

Also, it amazes me how little some techs know about the vets they work with. I can't count how many times I've heard, "so how long is vet school again?" shouldn't you have some idea of what your bosses have done to get to where they're at? It almost makes it seem like some have no idea why the "DR." is in front of their name...

Hey, at least we know how hard we worked. Even when I made things look easier than they were, people have know idea how much stress and sheer terror went into my grades, and mine weren't even amazing.

I hear vet school is terrifying, but it takes that much work to get there so this must mean we have the capabilities right?

And to that vet who doesn't like Davis grads, screw them! They should have confidence that you will come out being the vet you want to be!

The main vet I work with basically thinks Davis vets have their heads up their a***es when they graduate and are completely incompetent. The first thing she said when I told her I got in was "you best keep your feet on the ground, don't let them make you think you're God's gift to this earth". Apparently she has had really bad experiences working with recent Davis grads and actually fired a few about 10 years ago in succession. She basically made it seem like she thought I'd be more competent if I went somewhere else.... :confused: Guess I can say goodbye to her hiring me when I graduate....Totally annoying to have someone take a dump on your accomplishment/excitement right out of the gate.I just keep telling myself to keep calm and composed and not stoop to that level. What's even more confusing is she knew Davis was my first choice and wrote me a recommendation AND she regularly refers clients to Davis as well. It's like the only reason she supports me going to Davis is because it's IS for me and the cheapest option. The other vet has been very happy for me though, so that's been nice.

Also, it amazes me how little some techs know about the vets they work with. I can't count how many times I've heard, "so how long is vet school again?" shouldn't you have some idea of what your bosses have done to get to where they're at? It almost makes it seem like some have no idea why the "DR." is in front of their name...

I dont think that the vet was being mean about the situation. I think she has had bad experiences with the grads and it probably turned her off about them. It is kind of wrong that she is putting everyone in the same category just because of the experiences she has had. Also she told you that at the wrong time because at that point it was a happy moment for you and she ruined it. The best way to take care of the whole situation is to show her otherwise.

My husband's aunt and uncle (also his bosses) were disappointed that I got accepted to OOS schools first because those interviews were first. In fact, before those interviews, they thought it was "funny?" to constantly tell me to blow them off. It was "hope you screw up" instead of "good luck!" All because it's good for their business if my husband stays in the area.

I never even got a real congratulations for getting accepted to the IS!

The main vet I work with basically thinks Davis vets have their heads up their a***es when they graduate and are completely incompetent. The first thing she said when I told her I got in was "you best keep your feet on the ground, don't let them make you think you're God's gift to this earth". Apparently she has had really bad experiences working with recent Davis grads and actually fired a few about 10 years ago in succession. She basically made it seem like she thought I'd be more competent if I went somewhere else....

Interesting. Don't take this as raining on your parade; I think Davis is great and would have loved to get in there. But a vet I worked for PT who wrote me a great LOR basically said the same thing, but more as consoling me when I did NOT get in to Davis. She's a Davis grad from the 80's, and when I got into KSU, she basically said "oh, that's great, Kansas will make you such a better vet, the midwest schools are all so solid and down to earth... Davis grads think they're all that, they come out looking for zebras everytime they hear hoofbeats rather than horses..." So it's weird that some vets seem to have that impression. But on the other hand, I have heard general impressions like that from old vets about all new grads - they come out looking for the most bizarre unlikely explanations for everything, rather than just focusing on the obvious possibilities right in front of them. Like a coughing dog must be megaespohagus rather than, say, kennel cough.

So I think the take home is when we grad, we ALL do need to keep our feet on the ground, and remember to start with the simple explanations first, rather than rushing to show off all our fancy book learnin'. Congrats on Davis. I like KSU and am just glad to be getting through ANY vet school, but still wish I could have gotten into Davis - it was my IS then, and they've got fantastic shelter med program.

Definitely crappy timing on your vets part. I have also heard from a few vets I've worked with that they'd hire an out of state vet over davis. Personally while a portion has to do with the school its also a lot of how you ultimately utilize the information. I think you'll do great at Davis. If anything use those critiques to make sure you become the kind of vet you want to be so you can shove it in everyone else's face when you're successful. Personally I turned down Davis for KSU but that had to do with my field interests and desires to get out of California.

I've been pretty fortunate in the support category. The most annoying part has been the question of my SO, actually!
"Well he's going with you."
"No, he isn't."
"WHAT??!"
And then I attempt to explain the fact that he'd need to, you know, find a job paying at least what he's making now in a big city and get a work permit and then find a job for when I have to come home over summers and...it's not worth it. But people pushing it is like wait, are YOU in this relationship or am I? :confused:

I did LOL at a lot of these, though. This is one of the reasons I love SDN - because people can commiserate and are knowledgable about what going to vet school means!

I've been pretty fortunate in the support category. The most annoying part has been the question of my SO, actually!
"No, he isn't."
"WHAT??!"
And then I attempt to explain the fact that he'd need to, you know, find a job paying at least what he's making now in a big city and get a work permit and then find a job for when I have to come home over summers and...it's not worth it. But people pushing it is like wait, are YOU in this relationship or am I? :confused:

Oh, how funny! I get the opposite! In a tone of utter disbelief: "What, is he going to go WITH you??" Um... we've been together 21 years and know that four years apart would be a big strain on us as a couple, we can't afford to pay two mortgages for the duration, um... um... ??? I suppose most of the people asking this are a generation older than I am (and I'm a generation older than some incoming V'15ers), so the concept of a man moving to follow the woman just Does Not Compute.

Then there are the people who don't understand why I would move in the first place. It's only a two-hour drive when there's no traffic and closer to four when there is! :rolleyes:

"No, he isn't."
"WHAT??!"

I did LOL at a lot of these, though. This is one of the reasons I love SDN - because people can commiserate and are knowledgable about what going to vet school means!

I've been getting the opposite. :)

My girlfriend was accepted to Dublin (we're both from the US). Whenever I tell anyone the 'good news' it's followed by an awkward pause and something along the lines of, 'So, are you going to go with?'

Everyone I talk to about it seems to think it's crazy...I've even had people ask why I don't just break up with her or let her move by herself.

* Why would you move to Ireland?!
* They don't have jobs there!
* Their economy sucks!
* Do they even *have* computers in Ireland!?!?!
* Why couldn't she get into a US school?
* If she couldn't get accepted anywhere else, what makes you think she'll even finish the program?
* You can't stay in the country on her student visa - what will happen when they deport you!
* You already make more than she'll make as a vet, why doesn't she just get a different job.
* What about *your* career?

etc...etc....

I'm not saying they aren't valid concerns or whatever; but it really does sour the whole excitement of getting in. I don't think a single person (her family included) has just said something nice, without some kind of backhanded remark. Even the nicer things people have said, were still pretty crappy...

* Congratulations! After four years I guess they pretty much have to take you!
* That's great...but why not go to $OTHER_SCHOOL? Did you apply to $OTHER_SCHOOL? I know someone who went to $OTHER_SCHOOL and it's way better than going to Dublin.

etc...etc...

Oh well.

Ugh! Robdude, thats horrible!!!

Congrats to your gf for getting in! I'm applying to Dublin for the 2012 cycle, and I have a few friends that go there now and they absolutely love it! I know that if I get in Dublin, most people will wonder why I didn't just go to a Canadian school. Well, they won't get to listen to sexy Irish accents all day- thats for sure!

How terrible, Robdude. Especially when you and your SO have talked it over between yourselves and come to a decision! It's like really, people, I'm glad you want to contribute but this is kind of a two person sort of deal we have going here. Don't get me wrong, I WISH he could come but I know it makes no sense. I'll still get to see him over breaks and such, though, so it isn't like four straight years of no SO. Good luck to all of you who have SOs coming with you!

I'm jealous of you all who get to take your SOs.
Everyone asks "What will you guys DO?"
Well we figure if we really want to get married then he'll try not to feel neglected and I'll try not to be a B**** and to make time for calling and we will both try to be good about visiting.
I mean I hope that someday he will move to Mizzou also but he wants to stay at his job for now getting great experience and then he will choose his grad school. I wouldn't want him to go to a subpar grad school just to be by me. That won't do our future any good and I wouldn't have wanted him to pressure me to go somewhere I didn't want to, to stay by him.
I don't know what they expect me to say, "Well we figure we'll just break up after 3 years of being completely happy. We prefer that over long distance. I'll just find someone else to marry"
:) Love SDN haha!

"Well we figure we'll just break up after 3 years of being completely happy. We prefer that over long distance. I'll just find someone else to marry"

We're going to be friends, I can tell. :laugh:

I'm stashing up these retorts so I have them for ammo later.

I'm jealous of you all who get to take your SOs.
Everyone asks "What will you guys DO?"
Well we figure if we really want to get married then he'll try not to feel neglected and I'll try not to be a B**** and to make time for calling and we will both try to be good about visiting.
I mean I hope that someday he will move to Mizzou also but he wants to stay at his job for now getting great experience and then he will choose his grad school. I wouldn't want him to go to a subpar grad school just to be by me. That won't do our future any good and I wouldn't have wanted him to pressure me to go somewhere I didn't want to, to stay by him.
I don't know what they expect me to say, "Well we figure we'll just break up after 3 years of being completely happy. We prefer that over long distance. I'll just find someone else to marry"
:) Love SDN haha!

It's the new approach to marriage...

"...for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part; or until our career paths present any form of inconvenience."

:)