Strange reactions to success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I texted my boyfriend yesterday to tell him I was accepted. I didn't call him because he was at work, and I thought he wouldn't be able to answer. He didn't reply for like 15 minutes, so I sent him another asking if he got my text. Instead of saying congrats, he replied with "Yeah I got your text. Why didn't you call?" And that was the only thing he said for 3 hours

Members don't see this ad.

It's time to start some activity on this thread again! I'll chime in with my mom's reply when I told her I got in to UC Davis. She said OH NO THAT'S TERRIBLE!! and spent half an hour pleading with me to accept Tufts instead because in 2012 the Mayans will dump California into the ocean.

Family -- gotta love 'em! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh. I shouldn't try to be funny after midnight. Fail. :)

Ha ok I guess I was the fail... I can't catch a joke after midnight.. I was JUST sitting here thinking "Man I really need to get off this thing and go to bed..."

Weird reactions on both ends of this long road. I am a non-trad just starting to switch careers and taking post-bach requirements and when I've told my friends, most of the reactions have been, "huh. that's weird. that's going to be really hard." hmmm, kind of expecting more excitement that I'm pursuing my dream and will be doing what I really want. What is with people?!

2Catt -
I get the same reactions. I have a very good job as a microbiologist with the federal government. When I even mention that I want to leave it, people call me crazy.

I'm not sure if they have let their own fears keep them from their own dreams. Or if they are perfectly content performing tasks that requires little thought.

If I have to continue performing mindless tasks to earn a living I may stab myself in the eye with a flaming hot poker.

Weird reactions on both ends of this long road. I am a non-trad just starting to switch careers and taking post-bach requirements and when I've told my friends, most of the reactions have been, "huh. that's weird. that's going to be really hard." hmmm, kind of expecting more excitement that I'm pursuing my dream and will be doing what I really want. What is with people?!

Oh interesting. When I told all my computer engineer friends what I was doing, almost every one of them was massively envious -- some because I was pursuing my dream, but most simply because I was going to be able to get out of high tech. (Says a lot about that field :(, helping to confirm the decision for me.)

Oh interesting. When I told all my computer engineer friends what I was doing, almost every one of them was massively envious -- some because I was pursuing my dream, but most simply because I was going to be able to get out of high tech. (Says a lot about that field :(, helping to confirm the decision for me.)

my computer engineer bf says the complete opposite actually. he really loves the field he's in, and def thinks he's the wiser one for his career choice. he spent very little going to a state school for his degree and has a very well paying job that he enjoys :rolleyes:. even with several more years of training, and much more work during even undergrad and hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition, i'll forever be earning much less than he is. i hope i really really end up LOVING the profession so I can shove it back in his face :p.

I work for gov't consulting in finance and I am in my late 30's and albeit my many rejections, a few interviews (waitlisted and rejected and one acceptance) (Glasgow my acceptance and deferred to this year) people I work with are excited for me still and wonder why I just didn't go last year and why I deferred. ;) Long story. My mom was happy but I think kind of upset...if I am Scotland I think she feels she will never see me again. Or when she does she will not recognize me or something b/c so many years have passed from start to finish of vet program. :) Of course I will come home for X-mas!!
But if I have to keep doing what I am doing now (professionally) I might too stab my eye with a flaming hot poker!!

Tambotie -
The people outside of my job think I'm crazy for wanting to leave the govt, while the people I work with keep telling me NOT to stay here. How funny is that.

My mother also gets upset when I mention schools out of the country- Although at the time I was speaking of all the Australian schools that would put me on the other side of the planet from her. If the waitlists this year don't work out - she may warm to the idea of schools in the caribbean or Australia.

As for that red hot poker - I must contain myself - I have a bunson burner a few flaming loops and a big needle sitting on my lab bench-
This wait is driving me loony

Members don't see this ad :)
Swells2178 you do have a few weapons there! ;)

Yeah I have good job and salary too.

I feel that if I really like what I am doing and of sound and competent mental and physical state I feel like working into my uh 70's..... I mean look at the supreme court justices....many of them are working into their 70's. :)

I like to keep busy. I think the supportive ones are wishing they may have done something so brave, those not, may think it is frightening and scary to make such a jump or career change. Yes, it is, but I think it will be so worth it!!!! And you will never know unless you try and in the event you did not go for it you would wonder "what if" for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Swells2178 you do have a few weapons there! ;)

Yeah I have good job and salary too.

I feel that if I really like what I am doing and of sound and competent mental and physical state I feel like working into my uh 70's..... I mean look at the supreme court justices....many of them are working into their 70's. :)

I like to keep busy. I think the supportive ones are wishing they may have done something so brave, those not, may think it is frightening and scary to make such a jump or career change. Yes, it is, but I think it will be so worth it!!!! And you will never know unless you try and in the event you did not go for it you would wonder "what if" for the rest of your life.

That is exactly the reason I must try - and the need to evade boredom will keep me pursuing it until it becomes a reality.

The people closest to me were incredibly happy for me, but I did get some weird reactions from people at work.

Receptionist: "So...is vet school a two year degree program?
Me: (shocked that someone who works in a vet hospital is so ignorant): "Uhhh...vets are doctors. We have to go to college first, then vet school, then internships and residencies if we want to specialize..."
Receptionist: Silence.

Vet at Work: "You know those out of state schools were really eager to accept you because they just want more money, right?"

Youch. That one kind of stung! I didn't even bother to say how extremely competitive it was for me to get in as an OOS person to the schools that I did, or how I can get residency at the one I'm going to, anyway. I didn't realize this, but I think that people may think that I got rejected from my IS, but the truth is, I didn't apply to my IS (blasphemy, I know!). Although the people at work knew I that I only applied OOS....

Anyway, just thought I'd share some of the rude/ignorant comments I got.

The people closest to me were incredibly happy for me, but I did get some weird reactions from people at work.

Receptionist: "So...is vet school a two year degree program?
Me: (shocked that someone who works in a vet hospital is so ignorant): "Uhhh...vets are doctors. We have to go to college first, then vet school, then internships and residencies if we want to specialize..."
Receptionist: Silence.

I can't begin to count the number of people who think vet school is really short! Anyone who asks about the length is invariably shocked that it's four years. I remind them that it's medical school, only for lots of species, and they seem to go "hmmmm." Very odd!

Vet at Work: "You know those out of state schools were really eager to accept you because they just want more money, right?"

Youch. That one kind of stung! I didn't even bother to say how extremely competitive it was for me to get in as an OOS person to the schools that I did, or how I can get residency at the one I'm going to, anyway. I didn't realize this, but I think that people may think that I got rejected from my IS, but the truth is, I didn't apply to my IS (blasphemy, I know!). Although the people at work knew I that I only applied OOS....

Anyway, just thought I'd share some of the rude/ignorant comments I got.

Y'know, it's kind of funny, but when I got that one, it didn't even sting. Some schools may be accepting more of out-of-staters than they had before because of financial belt tightening at the state government level. I know that the competition to get in as an out-of-stater is still tougher than as an in-stater (unless a school has actually started to accept the same or higher percentages of its OOS applicants than of its IS applicants), so the OOS acceptance doesn't say anything bad about my qualifications -- and if the financial pinch meant I got in, GREAT!! :D

When I interviewed at Mississippi - a friend took me for a behind the scenes tour and we ran into one of her professors.
When I told him I was from NY -he said they love that Yankee tuition money as it is repayment for the war of Northern aggression.

Doesn't matter. If they take me I'll gladly put myself in debt!

When I interviewed at Mississippi - a friend took me for a behind the scenes tour and we ran into one of her professors.
When I told him I was from NY -he said they love that Yankee tuition money as it is repayment for the war of Northern aggression.

:rofl: That's like the best comment ever!!!

Me: so dad did you know I got into vet school at last?

dad: well .... I was thinking about that!... have you started to look out for a psychologist? (which I've never been to)

Me: ugh? (loading)

dad: you know, so you won't go crazy when you start falling classes!!!

Me: ... (left the room and still trying to understand him....)
:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:confused::mad:

I'm loving the Davis comment! :thumbup:

My father's response to my first interview invite was nothing short of bizarre. In the event that the decline thread on here is accurate (I'm a waitlister), stay tuned for some serious drama in another three weeks or so... :laugh:

My dad also didn't give me the best response either, but thankfully my close friends and family have been great. I went to my aunt's last week for my cousin's birthday and no one even said congrats. Later I was joking about donating to the 'take me to London-fund' and my aunt went into this rant how they just paid for their dog to get knee surgery ($2800), plus my younger cousin is about to start college, I just wanted to be like, whatever thanks for congratulating me and screw off. That and I'll be in way more debt than they've ever been in, I was just like whatever. Then my younger cousin was like idk why everyone's acting like they won't see you for 4 years, you'll be back and I won't miss you THAT much. Sweet. I also got some comments about being denied to my IS (Cornell, COME ON I was never gonna get in let's be honest), and how it's not worth it to make so little with so much debt. Whatever. My mom just laughed pretty hard when I told her the 2012 joke hahaha

I'm so glad this thread was bumped! I felt so alone in my experience. My family was (and is) pretty supportive, but work was awful! A number of people in my lab either applied or knew someone who had applied, and I am the only one who was accepted. There was this general attitude that I didn't deserve my acceptance (because I lean towards small animal, because I majored in psychology instead of animal science, etc etc), that x or y should have been accepted instead. Some who I was formerly buddy-buddy didn't even want to talk to me. Even my PI, who has given me more professional support than anyone in my life, seemed 'off' about the whole thing, which I assumed because one the students he's most close to was outright rejected. It was so disappointing, it actually made me cry :( (yeah yeah, I'm sensitive, haha). Someone before had mentioned "professional jealousy" and that's the only way I can explain it. I didn't brag, I didn't yell or throw it in anyone's face. I actually didn't even tell anyone unless they asked! It totally sucked!

Things have since gotten a bit better. After my initial shock, I owned my acceptance and just went about my job with even more gusto than before. (One of the girls in our lab was accepted last year and basically just stopped trying; I think this may have been expected of me.) Seems like most everyone is over it now, and its safe to talk to me again, ha.

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had this experience! People are so lame sometimes.

I'm kind of on the other side of the fence of this subject. I've been waitlisted twice and am waiting to hear back from UTK. This girl in my class who I always talk to about pre-vet stuff got into my top school without even blinking and it's super hard for me to reign in the big nasty green jealousy monster. I've tried to be as nice and congratulatory as possible but I'm not sure if I'm coming off as genuine. It's tough. :(

it's super hard for me to reign in the big nasty green jealousy monster. I've tried to be as nice and congratulatory as possible but I'm not sure if I'm coming off as genuine. It's tough. :(

Don't be down on yourself: it's legitimate to feel jealous AND be happy for her at the same time.

My acceptance weirdness was me, not people around me. I'm not often an outwardly excited person. I told a friend of mine I got in, and she started bouncing and clapping. All at once she stopped, looked at me weird, and said "Wait. Aren't you excited?" I had to tell her "Me telling you I got in is me being excited." :)

Don't be down on yourself: it's legitimate to feel jealous AND be happy for her at the same time.

My acceptance weirdness was me, not people around me. I'm not often an outwardly excited person. I told a friend of mine I got in, and she started bouncing and clapping. All at once she stopped, looked at me weird, and said "Wait. Aren't you excited?" I had to tell her "Me telling you I got in is me being excited." :)

OMG Me too! I very rarely get outwardly excited about something. For Christmas when I was 11 years old my parents got me a horse, something I'd been wanting and working towards for a long time. My reaction was nothing short of lame. My parents expected me to jump up and down and squeal and freak out and I was just sort of like..."Oh, wow, thanks guys!" I was bursting with joy on the inside, I just don't really show it.

Same thing with vet school, mostly what I felt was relief. When I started calling grandparents and stuff to let them know I didn't know how to react to THEIR reactions because more than excitment I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.

Same thing with vet school, mostly what I felt was relief. When I started calling grandparents and stuff to let them know I didn't know how to react to THEIR reactions because more than excitment I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.

Ditto! My roommate commented on facebook that after my comments about trying not to stalk the mailperson, I didn't even give a good reaction because she couldn't hear me screaming. When I'm excited about something, I get chatty, not the super hyper jumpy screamy stuff people want to see lol.

I had really supportive responses. When I got into the first school I didn't see the email until late at night because I had been at work but I wanted to call my parents right away and tell them. I kind of got groggy responses because they had been asleep for a while. My mom ended up calling me back in the morning for a real congrats;-) My mom and best friend surprised me at the next dog show by getting a congrats cake and making a huge announcement at the dog show...I turned a bit red.

One response that surprised me was when I decided I should email the owners of a kennel I worked at in HS. I LOVED working there and will be back in that area so may get to help out on occasion. I got an email back saying that within the last two weeks they had decided they want to retire and move to Arizona. They then went on to say that they have always though I should take over the 43 acre boarding/grooming/training business with house and 43 acres and I could build my vet practice onto the kennel. Talk about putting the cart infront of the horse but I have to admit it was a flattering offer. If only the timing was better...have always thought it was an ideal place;-(

I called my brother to tell him the news and he said (and I quote):

"Oh yay, another one lost to Mizzou. I hate that school."

And he was pretty much done with the conversation. Now, if it had been Kansas, he would have been screaming with glee. I had to coax a "congrats" out of him this time, though.

Everyone else has been fantastic. My best friend announced to the entire winery she is visiting "MY BEST FRIEND GOT INTO VET SCHOOL!" She then called her mom to tell her the news, and her mom emailed me:

"_________ told us. I thought Henry (her dad) was going to cry. She said 'start saving old dishes, because we are going apartment shopping!' I will start saving my best cool whip and butter containers because I know both of you well enough to know your cleaning skills might require throwing away for safety and sanitation."

I LOVE these people. Everyone else has been fantastic!

I haven't applied to vet school yet, but I can't even count the number of people who have been thinking for the past two years or so that I'm already in, or already a vet, or will be soon. One guy friend that I haven't seen in about a year now sent me an email to say hi and to ask if I was a vet yet or if I soon would be. WTF I HAVEN'T EVEN APPLIED.
My mom did the same thing over a year ago when I mentioned "if I get into vet school", and she said, "Oh I thought you had already gotten accepted."
People. This s--- takes time. A lot of time, and a lot of effort. I wish they would at least be willing to acknowledge that! No one ever seems to recognize that.

Yeah, had the same thing, especially since I applied once and didn't get in, and did a Masters. People got really really confused apparently: "So HOW much longer do you have left??" :rolleyes:

I haven't applied to vet school yet, but I can't even count the number of people who have been thinking for the past two years or so that I'm already in, or already a vet, or will be soon.

Bizarre. I've had that exact experience with a wide variety of people. It doesn't bug me, but it does make me perplexed. When you tell people you're "trying to get into vet school" do they just ... not really listen? Do they hear that as "going to be a vet" (and then, a year later, all they can recall is "oh yeah, he said something about being a vet")?

There's one guy that I run into every couple months. Every single time for the last 2 years he's dropped "aren't you a vet yet?" into the conversation.

It's weird.

Ditto! My roommate commented on facebook that after my comments about trying not to stalk the mailperson, I didn't even give a good reaction because she couldn't hear me screaming. When I'm excited about something, I get chatty, not the super hyper jumpy screamy stuff people want to see lol.

Yup, me too. Everyone around me was clapping and bouncing and super excited, and I was half in shock, half bursting inside but not really showing it aside from the random bouts of grinning. When I told people at work when I went back two days later, I mentioned it completely as a side comment, not a huge excited announcement, and one of my coworkers was very confused by my reaction.

Yup, me too. Everyone around me was clapping and bouncing and super excited, and I was half in shock, half bursting inside but not really showing it aside from the random bouts of grinning. When I told people at work when I went back two days later, I mentioned it completely as a side comment, not a huge excited announcement, and one of my coworkers was very confused by my reaction.

not me! I lept around the clinic parking lot, calling every person I could possibly get a hold of in the 20 minutes that I had. I was screaming, jumping, laughing, and running in circles (LITERALLY!). I've never felt so happy in my life. (I've also never reacted to anything like that before, so I learned a new side of myself!)

Pretty much the whole staff at my work was crying, and we all ran around that day with goofy smiles and squealing every time we passed eacother in the halls. I'm pretty sure the clients were a little confused! ;) My coworkers have been PAST supportive for me. They have done too much for me in the last year. From covering a million of my shifts when I went on a VIDA trip/interview/other volunteer opportunities, to making videos and sending them to me while I was on interviews, to wearing the color of the school I was at the ENTIRE time I was gone, (KSU's purple was pretty funny - the scrubs got a little creative!) they've been amazing. *sigh* gonna miss my clinic!

not me! I lept around the clinic parking lot, calling every person I could possibly get a hold of in the 20 minutes that I had. I was screaming, jumping, laughing, and running in circles (LITERALLY!). I've never felt so happy in my life. (I've also never reacted to anything like that before, so I learned a new side of myself!)

Pretty much the whole staff at my work was crying, and we all ran around that day with goofy smiles and squealing every time we passed eacother in the halls. I'm pretty sure the clients were a little confused! ;) My coworkers have been PAST supportive for me. They have done too much for me in the last year. From covering a million of my shifts when I went on a VIDA trip/interview/other volunteer opportunities, to making videos and sending them to me while I was on interviews, to wearing the color of the school I was at the ENTIRE time I was gone, (KSU's purple was pretty funny - the scrubs got a little creative!) they've been amazing. *sigh* gonna miss my clinic!

Wow! That's so awesome! A dream clinic for work for!

I hugged the person who gave me my mail the day I received my letter. She was like :confused:! I ran back to my room and called my Mom, who was expecting a call because I called her 2 minutes before crying because I saw that other people on facebook got their letters and was sure that I was about to get my rejection letter. Then I called my boyfriend, who was just like 'told ya so', and the veterinarian I work with who pretty much said the same thing and that I will be 'a great veterinarian'. Then I called my Dad who said, 'I didn't expect anything less. Don't let your grades slip now.'...:(

Then I called my Dad who said, 'I didn't expect anything less. Don't let your grades slip now.'...:(

hey, at least your dad believes in you!

as much as my parents are uber proud of me, I get this feeling that they seriously doubt I'll make it through. Every time I talk to my dad, he's like "if it ever just gets too much, just stop and come hooooome. we'll take care of you" and this is usually after i tell him that i'm doing really well.

he's retiring next month, and my mom's always been a housewife. i have a feeling his vision is for the 3 of us to sit around at home all day everyday playing patty cake.

he's retiring next month, and my mom's always been a housewife. i have a feeling his vision is for the 3 of us to sit around at home all day everyday playing patty cake.
:laugh:
I wish my parents were as welcoming as yours. I think my parents are expecting me to pack up my room and leave next summer (at 21). Oh well, I want to get away from my crazy mother anyways.

People. This s--- takes time. A lot of time, and a lot of effort.

And I wish people understood that getting into vet school isn't like checking off boxes on a list. I hate answering the question "So, what do you have to do to get into vet school?" People, there is no List Of Things To Do To Get Into Vet School. It's not like you just do a, b, and c and POOF! You're in! :rolleyes:

:laugh:
I wish my parents were as welcoming as yours. I think my parents are expecting me to pack up my room and leave next summer (at 21). Oh well, I want to get away from my crazy mother anyways.

I walked out the door to leave for freshman orientation when I was 18 years old and I never did move back hone, not even for a summer. My mom was less than pleased, but it was probably easier that way.

I walked out the door to leave for freshman orientation when I was 18 years old and I never did move back hone, not even for a summer. My mom was less than pleased, but it was probably easier that way.
I think it is a blessing in disguise. I am excited to be independent next year. (I don't consider living in the dorms indepdent!) I'm moving into my first apartment this summer and I can't wait. I probably won't be at home this summer because of an internship, and definitely won't be returning home next summer, so I guess I already flew the coop.
The only thing I miss about home is my dogs!

yeah, i got mixed reactions from people in my church and my hometown...i think because half of them thought i was already in vet school from the number of times i've been applying, and all the years i've said "this will be my year!"! and since i don't live with my parents anymore.

my work was super supportive, though. people like hugged me and stuff lol. my mom and dad were like "we knew you'd get in eventually!" lol.

I woke up at 5 am to an email from Edinburgh saying I got accepted to their GEP program, and immediately ran into my mom's bathroom squealing that I got into vet school. She hugged me and said your grandfather would be so proud, we have Scottish ancestry!

But then later that day, both my mother and father said "well you still have to hear from Penn... right?" (both look at me with concern in their eyes).
Gee, thanks guys, my excitement was short lived that day. But that was a few months ago. Since then I have heard from Penn, and much to their dismay, I got waitlisted (they really wanted me to live at home for an additional 4 years, no thank you).

Almost everyone has been pretty supportive and excited for me, except for my MIL. When I told her I was accepted to Edinburgh, her comment was, "you're still going to wait to hear from Tech (VMRCVM-IS) right?" Then after telling her that I was accepting Edinburgh's offer her comment was "It doesn't seem like you tried very hard to find a school in the States. The UK is not the same as the US." And since that comment she will literally not speak to anyone about it. I have tried to talk about when I plan to move, what the hubby is planning to do, yada yada yada, but she immediately changes the conversation. My BIL even tried to talk to her about it (baby of the family, can usually get through to her) and she flat out told him she did not want to talk about. The irony of the whole situation is that she doesn't even like me!! Oh well, it couldn't hurt to have the entire Atlantic Ocean between us for a few years.

After I got my interview notice for Davis, the universal response from family was "of course....we knew you would". I really felt like this minimizes the hard work that led up to this moment so wasn't exactly happy with the response, rather than being the confidence booster they probably intended it to be.....so I schooled them on the correct response ("Congratulations....") :). so when the acceptance letter came, they all said, dutifully, "congratulations!". And then....continued on with "I don't know what you were worried about..."

REALLY!!!!!! I've been basically a compulsive, obsessive, stressed out preson for the last 6 months and you just "knew" I was getting in. Really. Wish I had that crystal ball because applying to ONE school (UCD) on my first app cycle wasn't exactly putting all my eggs in one basket or anything....

One sister said "you are a force of nature, of course you got in". The other said "whatever you want you usually get". Ummmm.....hard work? sacrifice? congrats? I bet that was a lot of work? Going to give me credit for something?

LOL.

The SO refused to even talk about what we were going to do if I didn't get in. "of course you are going to get in". Ummmm.....I would like screaming, clapping, and geniunine excitement please.

Of course this is the same family that compares my furtuer vet debt as living with cancer.

My grandmother has been telling everyone that I'm IN vet school since I started my application no matter how many times I try to explain there's an application process - so now I'm REALLY glad I don't have to go back and try to explain how I DIDN'T get in and yes, the application process is like a YEAR.

The most bitter-sweet reaction I got to the whole 'moving to Columbus for vet school' came from my SO's 11 year old daughter.... I mentioned that I wouldn't be around much this fall because of school (since I'm currently living 2 hours away from OSU, I'm moving back to C-bus alone....)-- she looked at me and said "well... look on the bright side-- Maybe you'll fail out of school and have to move back here with us"

I love that she wants me to stay.... but... well.... failure is not an option....

My family was excited for me. I have doubted myself so many times along the way, if there's one thing this whole thing has taught me, it's how to obsess over 1-2 points on a quiz.

Some of them said "I knew you'd get in" but I was dancing the Happy Dance (and still am, though less frequently).

I've been talking about becoming a vet for 20 years at least... although my dad didn't realize that the master's I've been working on doesn't transfer to the vet program at all. But at least I've learned to take blood from fish and a bird in grad school, after that taking blood from a mammal with a vein you can see/feel is super easy. At least he asked instead of just being shocked when I'm not done in a year or 2 years (haha). I'll have to lay out the flow chart next time I visit, which might be in a year. "Oh, so another 4 years of school" (granted there have already been 4 years of undergrad, and 3+ years of a master's that probably helped me to get in but has otherwise been far more arduous than I envisioned). I do realize that I will be 30 and seriously in debt when I graduate, but at least I'll be doing what I've always wanted to do, what I have worked so hard for so long.

I think I over prepared my family!
Every time they said I would get in,I explained how incredibly tough it is and that I don't have a 4.0 but we'll see.

I was lucky enough that I got the "OH MY GOD CONGRATS!!!"before the "I knew you would get in".

My poor grandmother was like "well you had me so sure there was no way you would get in!"

Hardly anyone knows about my acceptance. Of those that do, everyone has been positive, especially since they seem more convinced I should go than I have felt.

My favorite response via text was, "Congrats, now go pack your bags." :rolleyes: