Strange reactions to success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For me, it was MY reaction that I found the oddest.

First, after checking the mail obsessively, I got a small envelope from MN (where I REALLY wanted to go). I ran inside, barely said hi to my mom, ran into my room and shut the door, and opened the letter -- heart pounding, hands shaking, the works (after all, you know what they say about small envelopes...) The letter read "We know you are eagerly waiting to hear about [our decision.] While you wait, here's some information about our DVM/Mph program..." Argh! I got so worked up for nothing. But I did send an E-mail to MN telling them I'd LOVE to hear more about the program.

So a week or so later, I get a message on my cell from my mom "Katie! You got a big envelope from MN. I'll give you $25 if you let me open it now... I just can't wait until you get home!" I knew it was just the information about the dual degree program, so I would have let her open it (and made money!), but I was already on my way home when I got the message so I figured I'd just wait.

When I got in the door, my mom was freaking out "Open it, open it! It's a big envelope -- you SO got accepted!!!" I calmly replied to her that no, it was too early to hear about acceptances or rejections -- that was coming in another week -- this was just the extra information I'd requested.

I opened the envelope and read "Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that..." at which point I dropped the letter on the table, told my mom "huh, I guess I was wrong" (she started SCREAMING!), turned around and walked back to my bedroom to change clothes. Seriously, I could not have been MORE underwhelmed at the news (I had been so certain the letter would only be about the dual degree!!)

Of course, about 5 minutes later, it FINALLY hit me that I'D GOTTEN INTO VET SCHOOL, and THEN I started jumping up and down and doing a happy dance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the people in my life who know me well are really excited for me and very supportive, but......

There are other people who make me crazy like my bosses who seem to think that Ohio is the only vet school in the world. It is my IS and I wanted to go there but I didn't get in. I did however get into Kansas (which I am very happy with), so the thing I am most sick of is "Why would you want to move to Kansas?.....It's in the middle of no where....there are tornadoes.":shrug:

Ha! I get that reaction a lot too! I didn't get into my IS (CSU) either, but I'm soooooooo happy that I got into Kansas! I can't wait to go there for school. So I get really frustrated when people act like it would be much smarter for me to turn it down and hold out for CSU. I seriously doubt I would ever get in here. Or maybe not for like ten years.:rolleyes:

That's okay though, Julie, because we both accomplished something great, whether everyone else realizes it or not! I look forward to being your classmate next year!

I came home for the weekend and my grandma surprised me with a Illinois sweatshirt :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I got another odd reaction today.

Our associate vet went on a long litany about how NCSU CVM grads have never performed a single surgery and are incompetent compared to all other vet grads fresh out of school...and on...and on....and on.

I really felt like saying 'well, sucks to be me if that is the case, because it is the only school I am admitted to, and I WILL be attending.' It really frustrated me that I am so excited about attending NCSU and she spent 2 HOURS telling me how horrible of a school it is and how horrible recent grads are and how unqualified everyone from there is, that new grads can't even suture or run anesthesia. I realize she is having issues with her career path right now, and I guess she is following the adage of 'misery loves company.'

Argh!

I nearly said 'if you don't have anything nice to say....'

Last edited:
Sumstorm, some docs out here say the exact same thing about Davis grads. It's probably more a comment about new grads in general - probably because new grads don't have as much experience to base their judgment on.

At my clinic, they were mildly happy for me when I got into Illinois but actually threw me a party when I got into Davis.

Oh, and there is indeed much drama at vet school, but the good news is that you get to choose whether or not you participate.

Sumstorm, some docs out here say the exact same thing about Davis grads. It's probably more a comment about new grads in general - probably because new grads don't have as much experience to base their judgment on.

Oh, and there is indeed much drama at vet school, but the good news is that you get to choose whether or not you participate.

Oh, no, she was specifically saying that new grads from NCSU CVM are terrible compared to all new grads from all other schools. She was incredibly clear. She told me she thought I would be better off going to Ross. As I said, she is going through her own drama, and after a good night's sleep, I feel less irritated about it (14 hours shifts at a clinic with a lot of drama tend to irritate me.) Actually, I don't feel much about it at all other than that she was incredibly insensitive and that I feel sorry for her struggle with her own career decisions and her lack of empathy (not just related to this.)

I was really hoping that professional programs lacked the drama. In all honesty, my undergrad didn't have that much drama. The clinic I work out now has exceded its limits (we have lost an excellent staff member because of it, and 2 others are looking for other jobs.) The trainer position I held had alot of drama as well. Just don't understand the need for it.

Everyone I talk to is also completely concerned with the "tornado problem" in Kansas...which seems a tad ironic considering the HURRICANE that just went through Houston last year...:confused: Hello? Is that not like a tornado on 'roids?

(I will be happily "risking it")

Anyhow, Congratulations to everyone- here's my support even if you didn't get it at home.

Everyone I talk to is also completely concerned with the "tornado problem" in Kansas...which seems a tad ironic considering the HURRICANE that just went through Houston last year...:confused: Hello? Is that not like a tornado on 'roids?

(I will be happily "risking it")

Anyhow, Congratulations to everyone- here's my support even if you didn't get it at home.

Haha, I've always been way more terrified of tornadoes than hurricanes. I guess tornadoes are just way more foreign to me, and the only hurricanes i've experienced have been pretty weak (mid-atlantic).

I think it's like the whole murder situation. You're far more likely to be killed by someone you know, but everyone's most creeped out about the serial killers. The former affects a far greater number, the latter's just unnatural and creepy.

Sumstorm, One of my best friends is a recent NC grad. She is a very good vet, and she had tons on sx experience during school... and she taugh me how to suture so, yes, they do teach that.. hah.. your vet was probably speaking from one bad experience. Every vet school is going to have at least one incompetent person come through their ciriculum..

and dont worry about her lack of support, I think a lot of people here have worked for horribly grumpy vets.. I know I have.. just feel sorry for them and move on :)

When I told my boyfriend I got accepted off the waitlist his response was "oh, that's cool." I don't think he thoroughly grasps the amount of work and sacrifice that was necessary for me to get where I am because he's never gotten a bad grade in his life and has always had his choice of colleges, jobs, etc. My parents, on the other hand, were screaming right along with me when I got the news.

Hi!!!
I am a 4th yr med student that ran across this thread "accidentally" and started reading it because I LOVE animals and at one time wanted to be a Vet, and when I read yals two descriptions of how people reacted to your acceptances into Vet school, I wanted to cry and just give yal a HUG!!

I am so sorry that yal didn't have family more supportive because THIS IS HUGE that you got into VET school!!! I dont think I would have gotten in!! SERIOUSLY!!
It is SO hard and draining to take care of little "people" who can't tell you what is wrong, much less deal with people who dont want to pay anything to help their loved ones (pets)...Goodness! GOD BLESS BOTH OF YOU!!

I am screaming at the top of my lungs right now for both of you!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is AWESOME!!! Yal both certainly seem to be the professional kind of people that are apparently needed in this gossipy type of practice (Im going off of what Ive read here, because I had no clue! Not too different in Doctors' offices either!)
But honestly, Dont listen to any crap from someone telling you grads from a school arent good enough, yadda yadda. It is so trashy to behave that way! It is so sad when others can not be happy for other peoples' success! And I can not believe that she would say those things...So sad...She really must be such a miserable person and that is just sad....
BUT dont let that stop yal from achieving and doing and becoming the absolute best yal can!! Keep reaching and striving for the stars! You'll get there! The only reason people are miserable and bitter is because they dont take responsibility AND CONTROL FOR THEIR OWN LIVES! DONT LET THAT AFFECT YOU ONE BIT! You're gonna be GREAT! Youre gonna be trained fantastic and YOU make the most out of YOUR education...trust me! I learned that in med school!
Dont listen to ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU THAT YOU CANT ACHIEVE SOMETHING OR THAT YOU WONT BE GREAT! Because you are what you think about and what you do! You can do anything you want!! Persistence and Positivity pretty much make the difference between those that get what they want and those that dont.

Sorry for the Long note!! But seriously, yals attitudes are so commendable!! AND I truly believe you both will be favored and blessed because of it!! Pay no attention to the negative nay-sayers...You never needed them to achieve your destiny anyway!! God bless yal and CONGRATULATIONS ON VET SCHOOL!!! WOOHOO!! SO AWESOME!!! SUCH A HUGE HONOR SHOWING HOW HARD YOU BOTH WORKED!! CONGRATS!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So my observations. I am at Colorado State, which as much as those from the other schools (A&M, OSU .. no offense), redefines competitive, and I am in a grad program that is more or less a pre-med/vet continuation of the pain of the undergrad wannabes. I kind of wondered why those few who were accepted here at CSU kind of kept it quiet -- I would have been jumping for joy and yelling at the top of every tower had I been so fortunate. Then I myself received my first acceptance letter. Then my second... While some have been very supportive and congratualatory, the vast majority of my friends at best meet my success with pained silence. I have actually more or less lost a couple of good friends -- at least they barely speak to me anymore, since I recieved my first phone call. I do not go around bragging, infact i too now keep my mouth shut and my head down in class. Anyone else experience this level of, what could best be called professional jealousy?
:(
Kai

I've sort of seen that here at my undergrad. When we were all filling out our applications, it was all anyone could talk about. "Where are you applying? What's your top choice? What will you do if you don't get in?" But when interview offers started coming back, people shut their mouths. It was very odd for me, because Ohio State sent their interview offers out in November, much earlier than any other school I heard about, and I had received my offer of admission before most of my friends even started their interviews. No one talks about whether they got in or not, as far as I can tell. I mean, I'm not deeply submerged in the major the way others are, so maybe they do, but even the friends I have who applied, they haven't said whether they got in or where. My old roommate lives across the hall from me, and I still don't know what school she got accepted to.

I'm really sad to hear about some of the reactions you guys have gotten. I got a few "I knew you'd get in," but I didn't take them as minimizing my accomplishments so much as those people just having more confidence in me than I did. My parents freaked out. I go to Penn State, where we are not big fans of the Buckeyes (so I will probably get murdered at the Ohio State vs. Penn State game this year...), but my oldest brother and sister-in-law went to Ohio State for undergrad. I told my whole family that the only time they'll ever hear me say the "O-H-I-O" opening ("O-H") is if I got into Ohio State. After I got off the phone with the admissions office, I opened my bedroom door and yelled out to my brother, "KEITH!!!!! O-H!!" My dad was home, and he just lost his mind freaking out. Then I called my mom (who was at work). When she answered the phone, I just said, "O-H." And she legit started SCREAMING. My dad actually recorded her reaction, and it honest to god sounds like someone DIED. "OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. ARE YOU SERIOUS? I DON'T BELIEVE IT. OH MY GOD OH MY GOD."

But I have gotten some people asking me how long of a program it is and then be completely shocked when I say four years.

ETA: hahaha, I did not realize this was a revived thread!

Last edited:
Revived or not, I'm gonna poke it more.

At A&M people didn't really keep silent about their acceptances (at all lol). I can understand not wanting to hear it (I certainly didn't after being rejected. I was happy for them as much as I could be but I didn't want to hear of random people's success that I didn't even know) but I don't think people were treated with disdain when talking about it. But then again, the talk only lasted for a week or so, so maybe something kicked in in that time that made them quiet down (or it just became old hat at that point).

I'm getting really annoyed with everyone's comments about my decision to move to Missouri. If I hear one more joke along the lines of, "SO you're moving to Misery, eh?", I'm ex-communicating my friends and family. I'm proud of my accomplishments AND decision, so that's all that really matters.

I LOVE Missouri. Every square inch of it. Well, except for the Motel 8 in Poteau, Missouri. Bad experience there, one that included moldy waffles and drunk people. And someone with multiple personalities... wait, that was in the Subway. Hm.

Anyway, I love the rest of it. Don't feel bad - just mail them lots of beautiful pictures from the Ozarks!

I remember when I was little my family and I went on a road trip. We passed through a gas station in Missouri and I kid you not the lady working there had a beard. I mean it was stringy and not very impressive-but still.

And I am not putting down Missouri at all, or the vet school. Just saying that some of the people there are interesting.

I mean, really, she could have used some Rogaine or something and made it worthwhile. :hungover:

Has anyone else gone through sort of a let-down phase a while after their acceptance? I was really pumped for about 2 weeks, then I went through a couple days of "well, now what, I still have to finish this semester, blah". I'm back to being pretty freakin' excited, but I spent some time just sort of sitting around navel-gazing. Hmmm. Maybe I'm a strange person.

I'm getting really annoyed with everyone's comments about my decision to move to Missouri. If I hear one more joke along the lines of, "SO you're moving to Misery, eh?", I'm ex-communicating my friends and family. I'm proud of my accomplishments AND decision, so that's all that really matters.

I live in Missouri and am sooo happy to be back after spending my undergraduate years in Colorado (brown, no grass and no trees!). It's beyond beautiful here. You'll love it, I promise! Just send everyone beautiful pics of the scenery and make them all jealous ;). The only down side is the extreme humidity in the summer but you get used to it!

I will say that CSU is extremely weird about vet school acceptances/doing well on the GRE, etc. I did my undergraduate work there and it was definitely not okay to talk about those things. At all. Most of my classes consisted of half undergrad Biomed majors and half Plan B Biomed Masters people...the ones that made the mistake of telling people in their class about being accepted to vet/med/whatever school found themselves with a very small pool of friends for several weeks after...at least until someone else made the same mistake. :shrug: I guess that's just the way it goes when you can't take two steps without bumping into a pre-vet/pre-med.

I'm so glad my support system has been so great after reading some of these! I got A LOT of 'I knew you would!!!!!!' type of responses which were a little weird because I had no idea but I appreciate that they had that type of confidence in me.

Has anyone else gone through sort of a let-down phase a while after their acceptance? I was really pumped for about 2 weeks, then I went through a couple days of "well, now what, I still have to finish this semester, blah". I'm back to being pretty freakin' excited, but I spent some time just sort of sitting around navel-gazing. Hmmm. Maybe I'm a strange person.

I think a lot of folks either crash or panic after the high wears off. And panicing can be 'too much to do' or 'do I really want to do this? at that price tag?'

I remember 2 other CSI episodes that has vets in it....But they are protrayed somehow like losers of the society.....
(If I remember correctly) One episode was the one that Grissom went to a small town to investigate a murder, and used the help of a local vet. The vet did reveal how hard it is to get into vet school ("it's harder to get into than med school) but complained about his job.
The other episode was about a murder in a dog show. The vet that serves show dogs definitely did not like his job...other than the money that it makes him.
Funny how when vets appear on CSI, it leaves a somewhat negative impression....The vet in Grey's Anatomy was nice tho.

There's yet another CSI episode where one of the characters is a total failure of a vet who runs away from his practice in Washington State to come help his dad run a bar or something, and ends up murdering a guy.

So, basically, I think the CSI writers have it in for vets or something. Four characters is kind of a pattern.

I was pretty fortunate - getting into vet school was one of the few things I've done that my parents were impressed by. They were both stellar students and athletes when they were younger, so Dean's List and varsity sports teams weren't really enough to impress them. I had the distinct impression when we were touring schools that my dad would have liked to be a DVM rather than an MD if he could rewind and start over.

That's not to say I haven't gotten the "oh, is that a 2 year associate's degree?" thing from people before, though. I firmly inform them that no, it is not.

PS: Welcome back from the dead, ancient thread. Just noticed. I was wondering how it had gotten so big so fast. :p

...if one more person starts singing the Oklahoma song, I'm going to scream.

As for the crash vs panic, after the high wears off... Well, I'm still not entirely convinced someone didn't make a mistake when they sent out my letter :laugh:

As for the crash vs panic, after the high wears off... Well, I'm still not entirely convinced someone didn't make a mistake when they sent out my letter :laugh:

I'm with you one that one. I'm still nervous to pick up the phone with a 405 area code in fears that it's the "uh, so about that letter" phone call from the school.

Eh...If I cared that much about what people around me thought, then I would have just sucked it up and been a human doctor. I dont think anyone gets into this professor for the money or the glory.

And it is no surprise to me that people are horribly missinformed about the veterinary profession. Just look at the public exposure. When was the last time you saw a vet on prime time tv, while crappy human doctor shows seem to be an ever increasingly popular genre.

I think I really don't care about hoe people will react to my futur admission. I have worked so hard to achieve my drean that whathever people say wont affect me. I dont need anyone support as I know this is what I want to do...

My advice, don't rely on people support in life to do what you want to do. Just trust yourself

A+

I'm with you one that one. I'm still nervous to pick up the phone with a 405 area code in fears that it's the "uh, so about that letter" phone call from the school.
My worry is about the confirmation/deposit. I called and confirmed that they got it, and when I did, the lady said "We've received it." I said "Ok, great, thank you," and hung up, but now, the closer I get to the deadline, the more I convince myself that what she said might have actually been "We haven't received it." It's taking all my willpower not to indulge this totally irrational impulse and call again. :laugh:

I'm glad I only had this for like 24 hours after I got my acceptance.

To be fair, I was the first person who got one from UCD and so I felt like it obviously MUST have been a mistake since nobody else got accepted yet.

When I got the email I came to these forums first thing and expected to see at least a couple other acceptances and then was like "uh well I guess I should post this then.."

My worry is about the confirmation/deposit. I called and confirmed that they got it, and when I did, the lady said "We've received it." I said "Ok, great, thank you," and hung up, but now, the closer I get to the deadline, the more I convince myself that what she said might have actually been "We haven't received it." It's taking all my willpower not to indulge this totally irrational impulse and call again. :laugh:

Oh my god! ME TOO! I have called (literally) three times to confirm that they received my deposit and have checked four times (!!!!) to make sure the math pre-req I'm taking now is the correct one...and I'm STILL nervous its not, and I will have my acceptance withdrawn. :scared:

Can't wait till mid-may when my class is over and I'm for-realsies in. Period. Done.

There's yet another CSI episode where one of the characters is a total failure of a vet who runs away from his practice in Washington State to come help his dad run a bar or something, and ends up murdering a guy.

So, basically, I think the CSI writers have it in for vets or something. Four characters is kind of a pattern.

See, but it is only male vets that are the homicidal maniacal misfits. Oops. Bad for me.

Oh my god! ME TOO! I have called (literally) three times to confirm that they received my deposit and have checked four times (!!!!) to make sure the math pre-req I'm taking now is the correct one...and I'm STILL nervous its not, and I will have my acceptance withdrawn. :scared:

Can't wait till mid-may when my class is over and I'm for-realsies in. Period. Done.

Oh, god, don't say that, I'm jittery about microbio, too, even though I KNOW it's fine :p

I'm watching Law and Order: Criminal Intent right now and the episode is about a zoo vet and an MD who were in cahoots. They infected women with zoonotic diseases if they wouldn't do what they wanted them to do... This is the first episode of one of the Law and Order series that has a vet that I've seen though.

I'm watching Law and Order: Criminal Intent right now and the episode is about a zoo vet and an MD who were in cahoots. They infected women with zoonotic diseases if they wouldn't do what they wanted them to do... This is the first episode of one of the Law and Order series that has a vet that I've seen though.

I've noticed that, generally speaking, if you encounter anyone with a medical education in a crime drama who is not a member of the core cast, chances are they're going to be portrayed as amoral megalomaniacs who believe they're gods.

Well, considering Optimistic received aother student's acceptance last year.... and didn't get in.... I had a hard time not having that fear as well... and then there was the school that sent out acceptances to rejected candidates and vice-versa.

Well, considering Optimistic received aother student's acceptance last year.... and didn't get in.... I had a hard time not having that fear as well... and then there was the school that sent out acceptances to rejected candidates and vice-versa.

Wow, you really know how to stir things up. That is knowledge definitely in the "we didn't need to know" category. Thanks for keeping it real.

Wow. That makes me wish I'd sent deposit money to both schools instead of one deposit and one decline. Great. Now I can be a total nervous freak show until the first day of class. Surely they won't pluck me out of my seat and send me home, right? :eek:

Wow that is kind of scary. What school made the major mistake of switching the letters?

LOL! let me also assure you, in both cases the mix ups were known within a few days. I don't remember which school switched letters (it wasn't one of the ones I was interested in) but NCSU is the one Optimistic got another student's letter from (at her address.)

:eek: I think I would have claimed to be that person. Totally sucks.

Back to the strange reactions...All Congratulations, but some "I knew you would get in" and "Is that a two year degree?". I guess I look young because some people think I am graduating high school and have eight years to go or that a veterinary degree is undergraduate.:confused:
The best is my mom who ordered a shirt for my dog that says "My mommy is a veterinary medicine student". Riley looks very cute in it :) Wish everyone was getting support from their families/friends.

I think the strangest one I got was my father saying "oh, well that's good." on the phone, and then going berserk with joy on my facebook page a few hours later. But then, he's never been good with the verbal communication skills. :laugh:

My first acceptance was the one I never thought I'd get, and I think everyone in my family cried... I cried, my dad cried (He hung up the phone because he was about to cry in his office, then called me back a few minutes later and screamed for like a solid minute. He also stalks these forums and knows who I am), my mom told everyone around her while I was on the phone, my dad called my grandma who apparently burst into tears and called my aunt (my cousin answered the phone with grandma while my aunt answered the phone from my dad, goes "mom, it's grandma, and she's crying"). I think my sisters said something along the lines of "you're a freak." :)

One of my roommates hugged me and said congratulations, the other didn't mention it until that night when I got home after my car had died and just goes "I guess you needed that to bring you back down." ...thanks? I wasn't too concerned about the car though, I GOT IN! Made the day a win regardless.

My best friends jumped and screamed for me, one called her mom because the people she was with weren't appropriately excited about the fact that I got in and she knew her mom would be.

Overall, everyone was great! Just the one roommate... typical.

Yeah, my mother was in Mexico on the beach on vacation the week I knew UCD was going to decide. She messaged me via FB every single night that week (since she couldn't call from Mexico) and I was like MOM SERIOUSLY I DON'T KNOW OKAY and then just as I was about to send the third I DON'T KNOW LEAVE ME ALONE message of the week I got the acceptance and was like ooooooh. :laugh:

My close friends and family were super supportive and excited - but they've been thru the last couple years with me, so they know what it feels like. My parents own a ranch with a ton of animals, so they see their encouragement as paying off, literally, one day. My husband was almost more excited than me. The three vets that wrote my letters nearly wet themselves with excitement - and one is throwing me a party :). My other co-workers have definitely gotten weird around me, now, tho. I feel like it might be a combo of jealousy and insecurity. And my parents-in-law are less than thrilled - but they were that way when my husband got into grad school too (it's clear they both wish they had higher degrees than their B.A.s). It's kind of sad. I'm still so happy, tho :) so screw what anyone else thinks.

I am having those - how am I going to pay for this, and what did I get myself into moments tho. :eek:

OH - there is an early CSI where the local coroner is also a vet, and he says to Grissom (one of the head CSIs) that he took the MCAT and could have gotten into med school if he'd wanted - very defensively. And Grissom replied something like "of course you could have, it's harder to get into vet school than any med school." I wanted to kiss my TV :love:

OH - there is an early CSI where the local coroner is also a vet, and he says to Grissom (one of the head CSIs) that he took the MCAT and could have gotten into med school if he'd wanted - very defensively. And Grissom replied something like "of course you could have, it's harder to get into vet school than any med school." I wanted to kiss my TV :love:

I loved that episode, for exactly that reason. :p

I'm glad there was at least one positive one, then :)

Oh, and you'll never believe it - I got so paranoid that I made up an excuse and called again. Yes they have my stuff, yes they'll cash the check next week, yes I should probably stop calling.