Strange reactions to success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which two were more competitive than CSU for OOS? Cornell and ?

I am avoiding Anatomy, stupid thoracic limb.

VMRCVM and Georgia actually.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I apologize for being so anal retentive. I'm sorry. :( However, this is one of my secret pet peeves - the medical symbol is a Rod of Asclepius, not a caduceus. They look really similar, but there's a difference...

Yup. /anal retentive. :oops:

Sorry, you can win on the technically correct aspect, but when in vet school, call it what your vet school does:

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/emd/grassist.html

At least, that is my opinion.

Because while caninerepro is awesome enough to TA the vet school anatomy lab he apparently isn't good enough to be accepted into that class. THATS how competitive CSU is.

I'm pretty sure TSUJC had that EXACT same experience at Texas A&M.

Edit: Oh wait, TSUJC already said that. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Threads like these make me sad, because I wish everyone's parents/families had been as excited as mine were when I got my letter from KSU. I've told my family about SDN and whenever I comment on someone getting in to them, they are always happy to hear it! So you all have support from a random family in Kansas. :)

Also, sumstorm, I *love* the fact that you took in a cake in the shape of a caduceus! That is so cute! Did you have a pan shaped like one or are you just awesome? (I'm betting on awesome.)

That is a kind of cool ...a family cheering in Kansas.

I love my parents...they didn't/don't have it easy. Neither made it through HS, and dad is a near mathematical/engineering genius (just didn't have the opportunities...his mom died when he was a child.) Both were teenagers when they had me. My father has worked for the same company since he was 16. They think if they are tougher on me than the rest of the world, the rest of the world will seem easy to deal with...and in some ways, it worked. Just after 30 years, they need to realize that I have figured out those lessons. My mother taught me so much about animals, and my father pushed hard science. I learned to repair microscopes from him when I was a young child...because he wanted me to have a microscope and a pharm company was throwing some out. They taught me that I could figure out anything if I decided I wanted to understand it.

I learned cake decorating to supplement my income while in NJ. So the cake was a simple carve out of madeira cake and decorated, with NCSU CVM in red and white letters running the length of it. It was a hit....I bring cake or cupcakes in every month or so to work.... last month was a 'box' of candies, christmas was marching penguins, etc. Everyone seems to be cheered up by a good creative cake. I wanted to make a wolfpack of cupcakes, but didn't have time. I think I will do that for a going away party!

I am glad I applied to Va Tech as an instate resident then! :laugh:

As for the OP, the only reaction I got that jarred was when I didn't get in the first year I applied, and my sister said "well, maybe it is for the best, because you are sort of old". Nice, that one.

After reading all these posts, it's so sad to me that so many people aren't supported in thier life long dream of becoming a vet. I had a surly tech tell me "she didn't see me ending up a vet" :( and it stung because I respected her and I was very young. My closest friends and family, whether they understand the complexity of the application process or not, have been ecstatic for me and pulling for me for a very long time. I think everyone will question themselves from time to time, but don't ever let some cruddy person come along and tell you what's in your heart. There is no piece of paper or crabby receptionist that can tell you that you weren't meant to be a vet- it's something greater than all of this.
:love: I am going through the sentimental phase of my acceptance, obviously.

Hey guys, I did not intend to put anyone else down, god forbid no. :oops: I was just under the mistaken impression that Cornell and CSU had the highest relative stats for their incomming first year classes. I also unfortunatley travel in a rather rareified crowd here even for Fort Collins, we are all the grad students doing our MS for the more or less sole purpose of getting into a top 3 professional school, either med, vet or dental. I guess that right there should answer my question. Of course such driven, laser focused people are going to be bitter when someone else gets into a school and they do not. It just sucks to realize how petty some of my "friends" really are. Many are not, and those are who I want to keep around me anyhow.

I am just happy to have been accepted anywhere, it did not have to be (nor was it) my in-state school, which I knew was a long shot beforehand. The experience made me realize that much as I love the state of Colorado, the environment here at CSU as far as professional school goes does not fit with my wishes. I have already spent too many years existing in a cutthroat world where I constantly had to watch my back -- that was why I decided to go back to school and get my DVM, anywhere they were foolish enough to take me. :cool:

Was just wondering if anyone else had experience similar surprising responses. It shocked the heck out of me, I just cannot understand why someone would be so catty. Hmm.

Kai

It's not an acceptance, but a similar strange reaction to success...

I was on a plane to LA for my Western interview with a few of my friends, and this local started chatting us up about places to visit etc. when we were in Cali. We told her what we were going for and she got all excited, wishing us luck. When the plane landed and we started to pull our stuff out of the overhead, she saw all of our suitbags.

"Oohh, you're going to wear suits to the interview!? You're DEFINITELY going to get accepted!"

Rrrrrriiiiggghhhttt, because no one else applying to a professional program would ever THINK of wearing a suit to a formal interview. Silly me.

I had mostly good reactions: My Aunt, who had heart bypass surgery a few years ago was so excited that she had to hang up the phone on me and sit down! I didn't think that one through too much! My vet shrilled in excitement. But my mom is who surprised me. She was initially excited, for the first day. And, I must say that she is very proud of me. She tells everybody she runs into that I have gotten accepted into vet school. However, she is too worried about money. Just this weekend, she said I would be living in my car. It made me upset that she just couldn't revel in the moment with me. Instead, she is focusing on finances, which I can pretty much take care of. But to say that I will be living in my car!!! Come on!:(

Here's to all the bubble-bursting nay-sayers!:thumbdown:+pissed+

I'm also lucky enough to be surrounded by people who understand how difficult it is to achieve this goal and what an accomplishment it is. Many of my friends are pre-vet as well, and we're all so happy for each other when we get good news. The only people who have given me a hard time are the pre-med kids who work with me in my lab! I find it so frustrating when I have to explain to everybody that vet school is HARDER to get into than medical school! (P.S. how many times have you heard that throughout your life from people after you tell them you want to go to vet school!?)

My family is also rooting for you SDN people, like SmallAndLA said. My mom actually found SDN on her own and figured out who I was! :laugh: Now she's as addicted to it as I am, refers to you guys by your usernames, and knows a wealth of information about the whole application process (hi mom!). She wants to start a Parents' Forum, hahaha.

My family is also rooting for you SDN people, like SmallAndLA said. My mom actually found SDN on her own and figured out who I was! :laugh: Now she's as addicted to it as I am, refers to you guys by your usernames, and knows a wealth of information about the whole application process (hi mom!). She wants to start a Parents' Forum, hahaha.

that is so cute! :)
my mom is really supportive of me too, she would totally join a parent's forum, hahaha.

Your mom sounds like my husband!

My husband had been secretly reading this forum as well. He didn't want to tell me because I had to force myself to take a break; I was on the verge of a emotional breakdown because of everything I was reading!

He ended up confessing after he had read some exciting news about my first choice school. He couldn't contain himself. It was quite cute! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
It is so awesome that parents know about SDN!!

When I told my mom about my acceptance she screamed for 2 minutes!! I had to hold the phone away from my ear!! You would have thought that she was the one that got accepted to vet school. She just learned to text so I think finding SDN would be impossible for her!

It is so awesome that parents know about SDN!!

When I told my mom about my acceptance she screamed for 2 minutes!! I had to hold the phone away from my ear!! You would have thought that she was the one that got accepted to vet school. She just learned to text so I think finding SDN would be impossible for her!

HAHA my mom doesn't even know how to text...let alone set up her voicemail! :rolleyes:

makes me feel better that i'm not the only one disappointed by not getting into my IS...

I have spent the last 10 years doing the same thing!! When I finally got the call, I started crying and told the admissions lady that I loved her and that she changed my life (sounds kind-of crazy now)!!
that's awesome! i bet you made her day! when my interviewer at told me i'd gotten in at the end of the day at Tufts, i started crying with my mouth full of cookie... haha.

Now she's as addicted to it as I am, refers to you guys by your usernames, and knows a wealth of information about the whole application process (hi mom!). She wants to start a Parents' Forum, hahaha.
awww

oh, gosh, my mom bought an iphone after I got mine, and now she calls me up and says 'how do you X?' 'why isn't there a manual?' 'Why won't it Y?' Really, mom, I only use my phone to talk, listen to tunes hubby loads, surf the web, check email, get directions, and take casual pics. I don't know how to download apps or use the istore or get podcasts or any of that stuff.

When I got accepted I called my parents and told them that I wanted to take them out to dinner because I had some news to share with them. Before we went to dinner, I got a call from my Aunt saying that she was so sorry to hear the news. I was really confused at that point. I later learned that my Mother assumed that the news I wanted to share was that I was getting a divorce and that she called our entire family and told them that. To this day, I still can't figure out how she jumped to that conclusion since I was and still am happily married. I was so mad at her. We never did go to dinner and when I told them the real news they were not excited for me at all. I guess I'm not surprised. I moved out before I graduated high school and have paved my own way for myself ever since. I envy all of those who have very close, loving, supportive families. I can only imagine how nice it would be.

My husband was extremely excited for me though and has supported me the entire way. His family is also really great. I'm lucky to have them!

When I got accepted I called my parents and told them that I wanted to take them out to dinner because I had some news to share with them. Before we went to dinner, I got a call from my Aunt saying that she was so sorry to hear the news. I was really confused at that point. I later learned that my Mother assumed that the news I wanted to share was that I was getting a divorce and that she called our entire family and told them that. To this day, I still can't figure out how she jumped to that conclusion since I was and still am happily married. I was so mad at her. We never did go to dinner and when I told them the real news they were not excited for me at all. I guess I'm not surprised. I moved out before I graduated high school and have paved my own way for myself ever since. I envy all of those who have very close, loving, supportive families. I can only imagine how nice it would be.

My husband was extremely excited for me though and has supported me the entire way. His family is also really great. I'm lucky to have them!

Gee, sounds like my family life. I am fortunate to have such a wonderful husband! I am sure my parents try thier best....they just don't know what path to take. At least, I can try to believe that now...but it took a decade to get there.

I <3 McVet from Grey's Anatomy. Hummna hummna hummna.... :D

Or what about the other episode where Izzy decides she's going to resuscitate a deer in the back of some guy's truck, and her interns make fun of her by making some veterinary comment? I can't remember what it was, but no wonder the public doesn't like us! The TV show writers hate us.

It's funny everyone is mentioning this stuff. I work at a 10 vet animal hospital and there's so many people that funny stuff happens a lot. A girl I work with really wants to write a comedy that takes place in a vet clinic. We jokingly talk about topics for different episodes and I really think it would be hilarious. I hope she really makes it someday, and then the vet career will get some respect! lol

I guess I'm fortunate enough to have family, friends, and co-workers that are very supportive of my career change (realize that many of them weren't so supportive of my previous career, but that's not why I switched). I have a large extended family with people all across the US and world cheering for me (although my family in England really wanted me to apply to RVC...I told them I would apply next cycle if I didn't get in this round).

I found out today that my grandmother was talking to her friends and they didn't understand why I didn't apply to Cornell (even though I am a native New Yorker...and that's where most of my family is located including my grandmother). Apparently my grandmother defended my decision NOT to apply to Cornell stating "Oh she wouldn't want to go there, it's cold in Ithaca!" Forget the fact that I'd need to re-establish residency to have a decent shot and perhaps complete a few more prereqs - it's COLD in Ithaca! :p I thought it was pretty funny since my grandmother is the type that doesn't know ANYTHING about the process, the time/money required, etc. Oh well...I'm thankful for all of the support I receive...including from you SDNers!

I have one co-worker who is awesome! She applied twice and didn't get in (real shame, she would be a great farm vet...such an amazing woman.) She baby sat my dogs/house while we looked for housing this weekend.

It's funny everyone is mentioning this stuff. I work at a 10 vet animal hospital and there's so many people that funny stuff happens a lot. A girl I work with really wants to write a comedy that takes place in a vet clinic. We jokingly talk about topics for different episodes and I really think it would be hilarious. I hope she really makes it someday, and then the vet career will get some respect! lol

Haha when I worked at a large, busy vet hospital in NYC we joked about making The Real World: Vet. We'd open the door of the autoclave, drape a blue surgical pack wrapper over it, and make our own confessional! :laugh:

you know, most people wouldn't believe me when i say that a WHOLE LOT of drama happens at a vet hospital! the place i work at is quite small (only 4 doctors, several techs) but there is SO much gossip/talking behind each other's backs that goes on, it's quite unbelievable. you could probably do The Real World for each practice out there!

you know, most people wouldn't believe me when i say that a WHOLE LOT of drama happens at a vet hospital!

Oh I believe you!! All of the clinics that I have worked at had large amounts of DRAMA!! Gossip was an extracurricular activity for many of the techs and doctors!

I abhor drama, gossip, disrespect, etc. I guess if you all are witnessing this as well...it must be a bigger problem than I thought?

Do you think it is because statistically there are so many more women in veterinary medicine (sorry to generalize here) or is it just a problem no matter what career path you are in?

I abhor drama, gossip, disrespect, etc. I guess if you all are witnessing this as well...it must be a bigger problem than I thought?

Do you think it is because statistically there are so many more women in veterinary medicine (sorry to generalize here) or is it just a problem no matter what career path you are in?

I don't think it has anything to do with gender; I have seen it be just as nasty in the upper areas of zoo curation (which is mostly male) and in hospital politics (about half/half.)

I think it has a lot to do with management. I think a lot of people go into animal fields because they enjoy working with animals, vs people, data, things, etc. I believe that not enough vets take the business classes/training/etc that would provide them with the skills to resolve/prevent these issues. Many seem to ignore it, or worse yet, participate.

Of course, that is just based on my observations at a variety of vet clinics. Having said that, some are absolutly amazing places where everyone is either very professional or the entire place seems like one big supportive family.

I agree with sum-most of the gossip i hear at my clinic is about how so-and-so did this but should have done this . . . our vet hasn't taken time to standardize procedures so people do do things differently and everyone thinks their way is best . . . we're also way understaffed so it's impossible to do things perfectly all the time . . .

most of the gossip i hear at my clinic is about how so-and-so did this but should have done this

That just amazes me; why do people have to talk about someone behind their back? If someone has a problem with the way I am doing something, I want them to tell ME!!

I agree with sum-most of the gossip i hear at my clinic is about how so-and-so did this but should have done this . . . our vet hasn't taken time to standardize procedures so people do do things differently and everyone thinks their way is best . . . we're also way understaffed so it's impossible to do things perfectly all the time . . .
that's exactly how it is at the clinic i work at. the two dr-owners haven't standarized procedures, and we have 2 other doctors who are just associates and so everyone, doctors and techs and assistants, all talk about each other and who should've done it this way and who did something wrong, blah blah. i hate gossip too :thumbdown:

That just amazes me; why do people have to talk about someone behind their back? If someone has a problem with the way I am doing something, I want them to tell ME!!

Part of the problem is lack of authority/chain of command. So, if another tech has a problem with how you do something, they may not have the authority to deal with it. Some vets make this much worse by altering how they handle various clients ( Mr B can't get HWP if he hasn't had an annual test, but Ms C doesn't have to ever have any thing done for any meds she wants including HWP.) Also, not having a clinic 'philosophy' on things like house training, socialization, surgeries, dentals, etc.

So, a simple example at the clinic I work at are fecal floats. Fecal floats are done at the central sink in the lab area directly behind the exam rooms. The basic procedure is fecal sample broken up in fecasol for 10 minutes (at least I think that is how everyone does them at our clinic.) However, there are issues over where the fecasol and the actual samples are placed. Some techs put them in the sink, which slopes, some put them on the counter next to it, and others put them on the back area of the sink (which is flat.) Seems like a stupid little thing to me, and I could care less how any other tech does it. But it drives one of the other techs nuts that I put it on the back of the sink (there isn't anything else there, so no good reason not to) because I don't like how messy the slides covers get with the sloping sink. This really apparently bothers her, because she will complain about it incessantly, but won't actually talk about it with me. Even if she did, since i have to handle the slides nad don't like mess spreading onto the microscopes, I am not likely to change what I do. I don't care if she makes a mess on the microscope (though I do end up cleaning it up a lot.)

Also, just a general lack of defined roles can be a problem. Our associate vet even feels powerless to tell techs what to do. I needed help taking some rads of a dog with a busted leg. The associate vet asked another tech to help me. She was checking her email (on the clock) and she said 'just a minute', several minutes later I asked the associate vet what she wanted me to do, and she actually helped me take rads, all the time complaining that she is doing tech work (wasting her time, and getting over paid for it) when a tech is available but that she has no authority to reprimand the tech. I actually don't know who Iam suppose to answer to and who I am not. In less than a year we have had 1 receptionist quit, 1 tech refuses to work in the back, and I avoid it if at all possible, all due to one techs issues, but she is the most 'experienced' tech and close friends with the owner. The office manager says she doesn't even like the title....becuase of all the issues that she has no power to fix. I think part of that is fear on the techs part that someone may 'look better' than she does to her friend the dr owner.

Oh well, hopefully if I own a practice I will learn from these experiences.

Maybe all the drama is left over from when the docs were in school. There doesn't seem to any shortage of drama here :(

It really is a pity, because we are all adults and in a professional school, but some of my classmates really don't act like it. I guess the best you can do it try to stay out of it yourself, and be the professional that your classmates (or co-workers) cannot.

I have worked at a clinic that was all drama (a Banfield no less) and another that was run extremely professionally, and the difference came down from the head doctor. If the manager or doctor wants things to be professional, they have to step up and set the tone. I plan on doing the same when I practice.

Maybe all the drama is left over from when the docs were in school. There doesn't seem to any shortage of drama here :(

It really is a pity, because we are all adults and in a professional school, but some of my classmates really don't act like it. I guess the best you can do it try to stay out of it yourself, and be the professional that your classmates (or co-workers) cannot.

I have worked at a clinic that was all drama (a Banfield no less) and another that was run extremely professionally, and the difference came down from the head doctor. If the manager or doctor wants things to be professional, they have to step up and set the tone. I plan on doing the same when I practice.

I think you nailed it! though I was really hoping to hear that vet school wasn't full of unnecessary drama. :thumbdown:

employees who are friends with the dr-owner are definitely reason for some of the drama sometimes.

at the practice i work at, the hospital manager is very close with the 2 dr-owners, was with them at a previous practice, but she is useless. does not have a business/management degree whatsoever, never orders anything on time, we are always low on something, drives all the techs crazy, takes multiple days off at a time. but the thing is, the dr-owners won't do anything because she's such a close friend. they're pforessional in other aspects, but they will not reprimand or tell their friend what they're doing wrong, which i don't think is professional or responsible of them as the practice owners.

and of course, the techs being who they are, will talk about this incessantly.

definitely a source of some of the gossip where i work :thumbdown:

and of course, the techs being who they are, will talk about this incessantly.

definitely a source of some of the gossip where i work :thumbdown:

Apparently we have a local vet that likes to sleep (and eventually marry, then cheat, then divorce) techs which seems to be major gossip foder for the other vets in the area (especially over surgery). It amazes me that there seems to be a vet community of drama in this area (which I had not seen before, but maybe that was due to being around vets who didn't participate in it, or were far enough from other vets to not have techs switching practices.) One of the cool things about doing unpaid observations was that I could observe lots of different practices.

in my experience, some reasons why we are prone to interpersonal drama:
-we don't have our own little cubicles and projects going on. everyone is in close quarters and working together constantly
-for much of the time, what techs do is repetitive and not intellectually engaging, so we get bored, which leads to talk
-everyone feels invested in the animals so they get upset when they think something isn't being done well
-front staff, back staff, and vets are all focused on their own tasks and haven't "walked a mile" in each other's shoes

in my experience, some reasons why we are prone to interpersonal drama:
-we don't have our own little cubicles and projects going on. everyone is in close quarters and working together constantly
-for much of the time, what techs do is repetitive and not intellectually engaging, so we get bored, which leads to talk
-everyone feels invested in the animals so they get upset when they think something isn't being done well
-front staff, back staff, and vets are all focused on their own tasks and haven't "walked a mile" in each other's shoes

LOL. I would say 75% of the gossip at our clinic occurs over the surgical table. the rest of us are too dang busy and trying to stay out of the tyrant tech's way.

I read an interesting book on 'jerks & a-holes' in the works place....which showed management techniques that were successful at preventing the continued employment of such and those that promote the continued employment of such. It was pretty fascinating, especially when it cited studies that backed the 'pollution' of the working environment in turn over, profit generation, etc.

I remember the moment I got my acceptance like it was 5 minutes ago.
I was in a hot tub with one of my female friends, dishing. My phone rings - its my roommate "Some package came for you from Minneso-" I cut him off with a shrill "OPEN IT OPEN IT!!"

So he reads it "Dear student, we are pleased to-"

I start jumping up and down in the hot tub screaming and crying and laughing and so hysterical with joy that my girlfriend starts crying too, without even knowing what it is we are crying about yet til I start blubbering on about it for the next hour. I stepped out of that hot tub a new person.

I'll never forget it.

I got Minnesota 1st, then a week later A&M, then a few weeks after that waitlist at NCSU & CSU, then 3 days before school started CSU called me up and asked if I could fill a spot. The only acceptance that really jolted me though was the first one.

What's strange to me is that I was trying hard to get into (The!) Ohio State, but they were my only rejection. Typical. The one I wanted most was the only one to reject me.
Its weird that I got A&M but not Ohio, and some get Ohio but not A&M!

My mother's reaction was "Well aren't you lucky to go to A&M, rated the greatest veterinary school in the world?" I was like no mom only Texans think that. She does think that though...seriously who spreads these things around??
Over the years I've been trying to make her a bit more objective by talking down my school. Its quite an odd dynamic :laugh:

My sister's reaction ( she's a PETA-supporting tree-hugging save-the-whales hippie ) was "I always trusted veterinarians over doctors. They're the only true doctors in my opinion. I would let you treat me."

I had to talk her down too...no sis thats uh quite illegal...plus, just no way. plus, you're family! lol

My Dad was like: "An Aggie huh?" and proceeded with an onslaught of Aggie jokes, which have never stopped. FYI, Aggies are supposedly dumb or something. Don't ask me man, I just work here.

Oh wow! I am happy for this thread.

Everybody is happy that I got in. They have been really supportive, except my grandma. She wanted me to be what she calls "a real doctor" which, for her, is everything related to Human Medicine, Dentistry, etc. There is this family tradition of two generations of dentists (grandpa, father and uncle), so I broke it. Hahahaha :laugh: !

And what is funny is that she toll that "real doctor" stupid comment to the vet that was writing my letter of recommendation!!! :eek: So embarrassing and definitely so not convenient! And to a vet!! What an insult, right? At least he knows she is like that and he just started laughing. :p

Lol...just envisioned scene one...setup like "The Office":

Scene: an unusually quiet night at the hospital. A client walks in, older woman (late 50's) carrying a dachshund

Client: (very calm, almost sedate) Doctor you gotta help me with this. I've been trying to get it off for hours...it's bleeding like all get out, but it's not coming off. He's gotta tick...I think the head is stuck. [camera pans to vet who pokes around at the alleged tick]

Vet: (just as sedate) Ma'am, this isn't a tick...it's a skin tag.

[camera pans to client - blank stare]

[camera pans to vet - blank stare]

[camera pans to receptionist - rolls her eyes and shakes head]

[camera pans to dog - growls....friggin p@**ed off]

Cue commercial....:D

Oh wow, I love the Office. :love:

It would be awesome if there was a comedy/drama tv show concerning vet med!

everyone at work was super excited that i got into the vet prep program. they're just telling all the clients that i got into vet school and how proud they are of me. its really exciting to see how excited they are. they bought me this really big (i mean, really big) greeting card saying something like "heres a really big card to congratulate you" then on the inside it said "if you wanted something small, you shouldn't have done such a big accomplishment".

the only thing that makes me a little sad is that i wish i could've told my grandma. she passed away last year. she sufferred from alzheimers for 15 years, but when i decided to be a vet (like 5 yrs ago), everytime i told her my plans she would get so excited and say that she hopes that i would succeed. she would've been so excited to hear that i got into the prep program. anyway, i just miss her, you know?

I do know, and I'm sorry. In my head, I get into vet school and grandma congratulates me by making my my favorite pie and giving me a big hug... :(

Oh well, I know that she would have, so that's what matters, right...?

It is funny that you guys mentioned your grandmothers. I was upset that I couldn't call me grandmother and tell her I got accepted, she passed away last year too. My grandmother was my biggest supporter, she never gave up hope that I would get accepted. Grandmothers are great, aren't they?

Ummm....are you trying to say that CSU is the apogee of competitiveness for vet schools or pre-vet programs? If so, that might be part of the problem.

Strong work using a GRE vocab word :) And I needed to use it in a sentence so it would stick for me, and you just took care of that quite nicely!!! Thanks :)

It is funny that you guys mentioned your grandmothers. I was upset that I couldn't call me grandmother and tell her I got accepted, she passed away last year too. My grandmother was my biggest supporter, she never gave up hope that I would get accepted. Grandmothers are great, aren’t they?

Yes they Are (lost mine 1.5yrs ago)...But I'm sure they're smiling at us right now :) ****Group HUG***

Strong work using a GRE vocab word :) And I needed to use it in a sentence so it would stick for me, and you just took care of that quite nicely!!! Thanks :)

LOL. it's one of hubby's favorite words, I guess it is used in astronomy quite a bit.

When I got accepted I called my parents and told them that I wanted to take them out to dinner because I had some news to share with them. Before we went to dinner, I got a call from my Aunt saying that she was so sorry to hear the news. I was really confused at that point. I later learned that my Mother assumed that the news I wanted to share was that I was getting a divorce and that she called our entire family and told them that.

I'm sorry for this in advance, but ....:laugh::laugh:

My mom did say..."that's nice....."
It just hit me today, 5 days later, that I am in fact in. That reactions surprised me the most of all.

It is funny that you guys mentioned your grandmothers. I was upset that I couldn't call me grandmother and tell her I got accepted, she passed away last year too. My grandmother was my biggest supporter, she never gave up hope that I would get accepted. Grandmothers are great, aren’t they?

I lost mine 2 years ago, 2 days before my 1st interview.

She died knowing I had an interview. The day I got the interview was her last coherent day. She died thinking I got in. I had to watch her go. I had to make the medical decisions to "help" her go. I wish she were here. We had a extremely special bond. So me reacting so slowly to getting in...I think it's because I can't share it with her.