Strange reactions to success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As someone who has done four (LONG) years of long-distance while in school...I will tell you that it CAN be done. A lot of people tried to convince us to break up (parents and good friends included...:mad:) just because we only see each other 5 months out of the year during school breaks. I mean, seriously??? That seems like a lot of time actually! Sure it's tough...there will be lots of tears, fights over silly things, and many many sad goodbyes, but I am so proud of my fiancee and me for making it over this gigantic hurdle.

In fact, it's nice because when I'm in school, I can focus on school and not feel guilty about studying while he's in the next room feeling neglected. Instead, I spend one hour everyday at the same time talking to him before bed. That's the best time to talk because you have no distractions. My SO and I know more about each other than most couples because we actually take the time to TALK everyday. If anything, long-distance made our relationship stronger and I think we have a better chance of staying together our entire lives.

With that said, I am ecstatic that the long-distance will be over in a month. :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

"Oh yeah my cousin is doing vet school at the community college." ...oh really?

Haha, I had a similar experience. Right after i submitted my application, I was talking to an acquaintance and mentioned I just applied to vet school and he replied with "Oh my girl friend is doing the vet school thing at the community college too".

Luckily all of the reactions to my acceptance has been terrific. However, being from NYC, everyone can't understand why I would possibly want to move down to Mississippi.

Almost every time I tell someone I've been accepted to Mississippi, I always get "Are/Would you actually going to go to Mississippi?

As someone who has done four (LONG) years of long-distance while in school...I will tell you that it CAN be done. A lot of people tried to convince us to break up (parents and good friends included...:mad:) just because we only see each other 5 months out of the year during school breaks. I mean, seriously??? That seems like a lot of time actually! Sure it's tough...there will be lots of tears, fights over silly things, and many many sad goodbyes, but I am so proud of my fiancee and me for making it over this gigantic hurdle.

In fact, it's nice because when I'm in school, I can focus on school and not feel guilty about studying while he's in the next room feeling neglected. Instead, I spend one hour everyday at the same time talking to him before bed. That's the best time to talk because you have no distractions. My SO and I know more about each other than most couples because we actually take the time to TALK everyday. If anything, long-distance made our relationship stronger and I think we have a better chance of staying together our entire lives.

That's really encouraging, thank you for that :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with you all on the whole SO issue. It's funny how the people that are closest to me don't ask how we're going to make it work... while people that I'm not close with keep hounding me-- and recently his co-workers/friends/family have begun asking him about how it's going to work... (Either they hound me about how we're going to make it work or hound me on when we're getting engaged/married... as if I don't have enough on my plate, let's just throw a wedding in the mix!)

My answer to their questions: "I don't know, ask me in four years"

So the SO will be 2 hours away (can't move with me-- he's got kids with split custody between him and his ex and a fairly good job, a house and responsibilities up here...). To me, 2 hours isn't the end of the world. Will it suck? Yes. Will it be difficult? Yes. Do I want him to live with me while in vet school? No. Does he understand the time committment of vet school and are we both willing to be as flexible as we possibly can? Yes.

Call me insensitive or whatever you want, but I know that my time needs to be focused on school for the next four years and I am the worst when it comes to putting of my responsibilities/obligations just to relax with my SO. I guess the reason I have no fear about how our relationship will work is because we both can see past the next four years of torture and are working towards a common long-term goal.

All I want is for people to say "Congratulations, we're excited for you" instead of trying to step in and worry about the things that they don't have any business in worrying about....

The reaction I recieved wasn't strange just WAY unexpected.

As I was dropping my children at their caregiver's house I decided to spread my good news. Well, my childrens' caregiver is a little old lady, and is a stereotypical one at that. She is soft spoken and proper in all of her movements. When I told her the news, there a a short pause and then.....imagine the young girls at the Elvis concerts! She was squeeling and jumping with arms flailing this way and that. Then she ended it with a, "Praise the lord!" I was stunned, humored, and flattered all at the same time.:)

See that is essentially my plan! I had a long distance relationship with my previous boyfriend and we broke up for something completely different. It's nice to know that someone else has made it work and that it really does help you focus. I was starting to worry I was just telling myself that :laugh:

While not a reaction to getting an acceptance, while i was applying everyone kept telling me who good of a candidate i was, and how would surely get an offer somewhere. being form NH i don't have an IS school, when i got 4 wait lists and 1 rejection back from my 5 schools everyone was shocked, and all they could do was apologize. seriously its not fair to get anyones hope up that they will be in the class until they actually have an acceptance letter in hand.

rubygirl - that really sucks! Everyone thinks they are being encouraging but really it just gets your hopes up and then when you do get in (if not this year then next year) it almost minimizes your success. No one "knew" you'd get in, you worked your ass off!

At least it comes from a place of love unlike some of these other horror stories

As someone who has done four (LONG) years of long-distance while in school...I will tell you that it CAN be done.

:thumbup:

Amen. My dad loved to tell me that you can stand on your head for a month - if you know it's just a month. Point being, you can do just about anything if you set yourself to it and know how long you have to do it. If you set yourself on your relationship surviving for four years apart, it can be done.

Hey....just commenting on the long distance relationship thing. I did it with my boyfriend for a year and it was pretty rough but def not impossible. I think though it is important to discuss certain things and be on the same page...instead of just going into it and hoping for the best. Not to mention as someone who is not very jealous it is amazing what months apart can turn you into. I started getting jealous of tons of people even though I knew it was ridiculous...like people that he works with because they got to spend so much time with him...you just have to remember that it is temporary and to know when you are being ridiculous and to just let things go! We will be apart again for a year or so for my first year of vet school which I think will give me the time to figure things out school wise before he heads over.

Digging this thread up to post my dentist's reaction to me getting into vet school. Yes, my dentist. She's super nice and has been as supportive as possible given she only sees me once a year. :laugh:

My mom had a cleaning the other day, and told my dentist I'd gotten in. To which Dr A enthusiastically replied, "Oh that's wonderful! Here, I'll give her some extra toothbrushes and toothpaste and floss to take to PEI with her!"

My mom had a cleaning the other day, and told my dentist I'd gotten in. To which Dr A enthusiastically replied, "Oh that's wonderful! Here, I'll give her some extra toothbrushes and toothpaste and floss to take to PEI with her!"

Or how about a night-guard for all of the teeth grinding you will be doing!

I got a funny response at work, (I'm a server at a restaurant). A table asked me why I am moving to Illinois. I told them I got into vet school. Their response: "Oh! Now there are a couple different types...will you be a tech or an assistant?"

I was at work and was speaking with a client about how I will be leaving in the fall to go to UF for vet school.

She replied by saying Oh, they must be so happy to have you. You know with the vet shortage, nobody wants to be veterinarians and go to vet school, they must be very happy you want to go.

Or how about a night-guard for all of the teeth grinding you will be doing!

I got a funny response at work, (I'm a server at a restaurant). A table asked me why I am moving to Illinois. I told them I got into vet school. Their response: "Oh! Now there are a couple different types...will you be a tech or an assistant?"

Haha thats a good one- I had a similar sort of ... 'confusion' if you will.... I was working at a wildlife hospital and a woman came in to drop of a bird. People always ask me if I'm a vet/vet tech etc. Anyways the woman said she was enrolled in veterinary school in Northern Ontario, but it was too easy and boring so she dropped out, but she would still love to work with animals.....

There is NO veterinary school in Northern Ontario- I think she also mentioned it was a 2 year program, and was insistent that yes, it was veterinary school. I decided to stop arguing the point, because if she was that convinced that she was once a vet student at a non-existent school, then perhaps it was just more humane to let her think what she wanted... :S