Sports Medicine 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pretty quiet I must say. Have people received correspondence that programs have even received your application? Just crickets here.
Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 seemed to respond to my email with supplemental material?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I have some invites, but I applied pretty broadly. I also submitted the first day apps were open
That's awesome congrats!!

Also applied very broadly around 30 and super happy with 3 invites :)

Reactions: 1 users
pretty quiet I must say. Have people received correspondence that programs have even received your application? Just crickets here.
Did you submit all the supplemental stuff? You have to send that AMSSM agreement and first page of pubs at least to every program individually, and some places want other stuff sent too like Diploma, licenses, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 interviews so far, applied to 31 programs. It does seem like places are offering interviews earlier this year. Based on the spread sheets, is it safe to assume that interviews are offered only on one day and if I didn't hear then, I likely won't?

As far as the code of ethics, I didn't submit any supplemental information unless requested by programs either by email or on their website. A co-resident of mine that matched this year didn't and got plenty of interviews last year.

4 interviews so far, applied to 31 programs. It does seem like places are offering interviews earlier this year. Based on the spread sheets, is it safe to assume that interviews are offered only on one day and if I didn't hear then, I likely won't?

As far as the code of ethics, I didn't submit any supplemental information unless requested by programs either by email or on their website. A co-resident of mine that matched this year didn't and got plenty of interviews last year.
Congrats on the interviews so far! I think a couple places have given interviews on multiple days, I’m not sure if it’s after someone declines or they just have different release times.

Congrats on the interviews! I would not assume they only offer interviews on a single day. Half my interviews have been on a second round of release. I think the spreadsheet is nice, but is probably a very small sample size of the total applicant pool and wouldn't worry about it too much. Sounds like you're doing well :)

Any idea how many interview people planning to attend? I'm finding it hard to get to know programs well and decide based on online information without the interview. Hope everyone is doing well!

Any idea how many interview people planning to attend? I'm finding it hard to get to know programs well and decide based on online information without the interview. Hope everyone is doing well!
I’m going to do as many as I can get/do. Really hard to know just on websites alone, without talking to anyone. It’s hard to know unless you’re already trying to be in a certain area for other reasons

Reactions: 1 user
What does everyone think is the most important thing to consider when it comes to rank lists? I guess it's a personal decision, but wondering how should we consider different factors like coverage, ultrasound, procedures, etc? Like what is actually important during fellowship.

What does everyone think is the most important thing to consider when it comes to rank lists? I guess it's a personal decision, but wondering how should we consider different factors like coverage, ultrasound, procedures, etc? Like what is actually important during fellowship.
IMO it depends on what you want to do in practice. If you don't know then I would go to the most well rounded place.

Coming from PM&R I knew I wanted to be heavy proceduralist in practice with spine and US procedures so I tailored my rank list and fellowship year to make that happen and missed out on some primary care stuff that I knew I would never be as good at compared to FM anyway (I still can handle majority for my teams but it is not my favorite).

If you want to do university or high level sports + student health/FM practice then a program with heavier primary care focus, higher level/stress situations (i.e. professional, D1, etc.) and training room with some moderate amount of US would be best so you can see how those situations and the multiple competing factors come into play with a pro athlete getting back to play. If you don't want to work in a D1/pro environment then you are likely going to be better off and have more hands on experience going to a program that covers more smaller college, semi-pro/minor league teams and IMO probably come out a better physician for it (at least early career).

Unless you come into fellowship very strong with US you will likely not become extremely proficient after only a year of fellowship, but you should have the basic to intermediate skills to add new procedures in your first few years in practice.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I think this is probably at least 1/3 of the way done, how's it going for everyone applying so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I think this is probably at least 1/3 of the way done, how's it going for everyone applying so far?
Hey hey! Hope your cycle is going well.

I'm about halfway done with interviews at this point. Super exciting!

About 1/3 to1/2 the programs I applied to sent interviews which I was very excited about. I found that programs where I thought I was a good fit tended to be the ones that sent invites to me which was wonderful. I assume at this point I won't get anymore interviews which is just fine.

Fun process overall, though it would have been fun to meet everyone during interviews in person.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey hey! Hope your cycle is going well.

I'm about halfway done with interviews at this point. Super exciting!

About 1/3 to1/2 the programs I applied to sent interviews which I was very excited about. I found that programs where I thought I was a good fit tended to be the ones that sent invites to me which was wonderful. I assume at this point I won't get anymore interviews which is just fine.

Fun process overall, though it would have been fun to meet everyone during interviews in person.
Congrats! I'm like halfway also! If I end up matching, I look forward to meeting everyone at conferences in the future

1/2 of the programs I applied to offered invites. About 1/2 way done with interviews. Virtual interviewing is a bit awkward but so far seems to be going ok!

Anyone know of any peds applicants? Highly considering sports (full scope not the peds specific ones) but my program is like *um we’ve never had anyone apply so no idea how to help*.

Appreciate any insight into how I can make myself competitive next year. Thanks!!
Get sports coverage, do a sports elective rotation, try to present at AMSSM, get research/publication if possible. Letters from sports docs who know you.

Does anyone know if the McAllen, Tx interview is online or in person?

Anyone know of any peds applicants? Highly considering sports (full scope not the peds specific ones) but my program is like *um we’ve never had anyone apply so no idea how to help*.

Appreciate any insight into how I can make myself competitive next year. Thanks!!
Join AMSSM. Get a mentor through them.

How's everyone feeling about their interviews? Something I forgot about and don't miss from residency interviewing is overthinking my interviews after they're done 😅 especially at my top programs. I'm always paranoid I didn't answer really the questions lol. Maybe it's just the virtual format that feels super awkward and not just me

How's everyone feeling about their interviews? Something I forgot about and don't miss from residency interviewing is overthinking my interviews after they're done 😅 especially at my top programs. I'm always paranoid I didn't answer really the questions lol. Maybe it's just the virtual format that feels super awkward and not just me
I feel in the middle, it's hard cause some places come off as if they like you a lot but you don't know if that's what they do with everyone. Also hard to know where you stand when you don't know how many people are interviewing and where those people interviewing want to go. I've seen a few people in multiple interviews and it would be nice to know where they want to go too lolol.

It's the end (or almost the end) of interviews for the cycle! It's about time to start finalizing rank lists. Starting to freak out especially with a lot of people finding out about fellowship today and last month!

Curious what this threads thoughts are on the top program(s) in the country? It seemed like a lot of the programs on my interview trail compared themselves to UCSD and UCLA, especially on the west coast. I’m sure there’s something out there on this topic but for some reason I can’t find anything between sdn and Reddit for PCSM

Curious what this threads thoughts are on the top program(s) in the country? It seemed like a lot of the programs on my interview trail compared themselves to UCSD and UCLA, especially on the west coast. I’m sure there’s something out there on this topic but for some reason I can’t find anything between sdn and Reddit for PCSM
I'm not sure if there is anything objective, but I feel like the top programs are the ones that can give both Pro and D1 coverage opportunities and good procedural training as well

Top program depends on what you want to get out of fellowship! Looking for D1 coverage? Hands on coverage? (these are different things) Ultrasound? Procedural training? Alumni network? Networking where you want to end up? Research? There are a few that can get you all of these, and some that are probably pretty poor in all these areas. Your job is to find one that fits you!

Any suggestions for someone wanting procedural (as high volume and broad as I can get) and ultrasound training? Don’t care about pro coverage and I despise research. Wanting to go into private practice so want a fellowship that will train me for that. Also I’m peds so kind of a wrinkle.

Thanks!
I'd focus on programs that don't have D1/pro coverage and aren't research heavy institutions. I noticed those programs seemed to have the heaviest procedural training

Probably a really bad question but what process did you use to determine how heavy a program is on procedures? Lots of places I’ve looked at online don’t give raw numbers and a good amount don’t go into very much depth at their procedure experience. Perhaps I’ve just looked at the wrong programs so far…
Just from interviewing. I applied and interviewed pretty broadly across the country. When you ask during the interview day, the places that seemed super heavy were able to give you a number or how they answered it.

Matched.
Pretty sure it was a competitive cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Matched as well and too excited! Hope everyone matched into great fits

Matched my #3 close to home - would have been happy anywhere in the top 5 but yea this speciality is def cut throat at the big names! Can’t really expect much else when it’s usually 1 or 2 spots a year

Last edited by a moderator:
Late to reply but also matched as well! Congrats to everyone!

Matched at my #1 (which was my #1 last year too). Applied last cycle and went unmatched. For those that didn't match this year, please feel free to DM me and I can offer some advice on what I did differently the second time around. I know right now it probably feels crappy, but this is the time you have to push to line up as much as you can to boost your application if you want to reapply for next year.

Matched at my #1 (which was my #1 last year too). Applied last cycle and went unmatched. For those that didn't match this year, please feel free to DM me and I can offer some advice on what I did differently the second time around. I know right now it probably feels crappy, but this is the time you have to push to line up as much as you can to boost your application if you want to reapply for next year.
Amazing! Mamba mentality

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats man! Would you mind sharing here for all to see? Might help people who have a weak app (like me 😭).

Besides the general things everyone on these forums says... Side-line exposure/volunteering for events. Sports med doc letter of rec is an absolute MUST HAVE (I didn't have one the first time around)

I stayed for a chief year, which I'm sure helped. I also did as many sports medicine 'related' things I could set up myself. Attended MSK ultrasound training conferences, attend outpatient orthopedics conferences, completed the AMSSM online US curriculum, got certified in athletic taping.

One of the other big things was simply re-organizing my application. First time around, I just kept the same application that uploaded from my residency app, then added everything I did during residency, which I think made looking at my application too difficult. Second time around, I condensed a bunch of the older stuff and then created "experiences".... like Sports Medicine Ultrasound and listed everything, Sports Medicine Rotations and listed everything, etc. etc. etc. I think it helped to make my application a little more clear, especially for the person reviewing it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Care
Anyone have any tips for how to get sports coverage? With Covid it seems to be basically impossible…
It's a tough thing and I may not be the best to answer because I'm part of a huge university system, but I really can't see it being difficult to just get some games in with local high schools. If I was in a situation like that I'd just get in touch with the trainers or docs for some of the local high schools and ask if there are any games you can volunteer at. The other thing would be race medicine events. Those are always easy to sign up for