Do sports med docs also practice general family medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

executivewaffle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only sports doc I've met worked at a university for the athletes so I don't think he had a general practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Most sports docs actually practice their primary specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do think it depends what you define "sports-only" as. I found multiple non-operative ortho clinic only positions when looking for my job out of fellowship. If you want the team coverage/collegiate+ only position, then yes, those are rare.

As an aside, I wish there was a rebranding away from "sports." For every athlete I see, I see dozens of overuse/aging orthopedic issues. Yet the top FM/sports programs will tell you how much better they are than PM&R/EM/peds because they're better equipped to care for the whole athlete, leading to ongoing bias in the field. I'd argue those other fields are actually more prepared in many ways for the current non-operative orthopedics role.

Reactions: 1 users
I do think it depends what you define "sports-only" as. I found multiple non-operative ortho clinic only positions when looking for my job out of fellowship. If you want the team coverage/collegiate+ only position, then yes, those are rare.

As an aside, I wish there was a rebranding away from "sports." For every athlete I see, I see dozens of overuse/aging orthopedic issues. Yet the top FM/sports programs will tell you how much better they are than PM&R/EM/peds because they're better equipped to care for the whole athlete, leading to ongoing bias in the field. I'd argue those other fields are actually more prepared in many ways for the current non-operative orthopedics role.
Peds is more prepared? They barely see any overuse/aging athletes. I do agree IM/PMR/EM could be more prepared, especially PMR.
Yes ortho only jobs are available, but usually in less desirable areas.
I am interested in continuing my primary specialty personally so hybrid or creation positions are good for me. I do think ill see more of the overuse/aging athletes lol

Peds is more prepared? They barely see any overuse/aging athletes. I do agree IM/PMR/EM could be more prepared, especially PMR.
Yes ortho only jobs are available, but usually in less desirable areas.
I am interested in continuing my primary specialty personally so hybrid or creation positions are good for me. I do think ill see more of the overuse/aging athletes lol
I'll give you peds.

I guess my point is how so many FM based fellowships and attendings hang onto this outdated view that sports docs "care for the whole athlete" when in reality many positions are just office based non-operative orthopedics. You may have a hybrid position, in which case the primary specialty does matter, but for the "sports" part of that hybrid I'd still argue that FM is no better (and arguably worse) than those other specialties.

We also may have a difference in opinion of less desirable areas. I had two offers in the major metropolitan area where I was looking, though I ultimately took a position in a smaller community that better fit my family. I know from my co-fellow that she had multiple offers as well.