Sports Medicine 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZekeH

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like there isn't an official sports med thread for this year yet. Might as well start it off. How many programs are you applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thinking 15-20, was going to apply to more places IF Interviews were virtual. I'm thinking less applications, since it seems more places are in person.

I'm planning on 10-15, feels hard to narrow the list any more! Where have you heard that is planning on being in person? Everywhere I've been looking is either announced as virtual only or hasn't yet updated their website to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on 10-15, feels hard to narrow the list any more! Where have you heard that is planning on being in person? Everywhere I've been looking is either announced as virtual only or hasn't yet updated their website to say.

I thought I saw it on some individual websites, maybe it is just the ones I am applying too.

IMG PM&R applicant here, applied to 35 programs (20 PM&R and 15 FM that take PM&R). Hoping to land a spot in a NY-based PM&R sports med program so I don't have to relocate :giggle: Do we have a spreadsheet like this one?

Thats the pain med 2023-2024 spreadsheet that my friend showed me today and it is so informative!

Last edited:
Welcome, there is no spreadsheet yet. Last year there was a sheet with Interview invite dates and interview dates.

IMG PM&R applicant here, applied to 35 programs (20 PM&R and 15 FM that take PM&R). Hoping to land a spot in a NY-based PM&R sports med program so I don't have to relocate :giggle: Do we have a spreadsheet like this one?

Thats the pain med 2023-2024 spreadsheet that my friend showed me today and it is so informative!
Just made one, new to this whole forum thing, but hoping to help share info. I am EM, hoping to land where ever has hockey coverage! Applied to 18 programs

FM, applied to 32 programs. Probably overkill but hard to gauge how good of an applicant I am (I think decent but I’m not from a super well known program or anything). I figure I can always cancel as needed if it gets to be too many interviews. I do think there will still be a lot of virtual interviews

Did everyone email the AMSSM COE form to every program or just those that specified to do so...and did anyone get any confirmation apps were received or complete from programs after submitting applications or COE?

Did everyone email the AMSSM COE form to every program or just those that specified to do so...and did anyone get any confirmation apps were received or complete from programs after submitting applications or COE?
No confirmation from programs, but I did email almost every program. Some programs requested that the COE be sent as a fourth letter of recommendation but ERAS bounced mine back saying "this isn't a letter of recommendation."

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed my COE form to all the programs I applied to on the 19th, literally half of them responded saying confirmation of seeing it.

Also received an ERAS message from 1 program saying we received your app and will be reviewing later in August.

I did on the 13th, a little ahead of time and got replies for every program. I would assume at this point they just have a ton to reply to.

I just sent it to programs that specified it on their website. Would it be safe to send it to all the programs?

I applied to >50 programs. PM&R based but was willing to go anywhere for a program I liked just so just applied to any I was interested in. Ended up just sending my COE to every program from day one just to make it easy.

Still waiting for an invite, hoping September is good to me
As someone who went through the process last year (good luck to everyone!) I got most of my invites I think between August and September and a couple in October. Interviews then were from the last half of August, most of them in September and some in October. Hope that helps with my n=1. For reference, PM&R was my primary and ultimately got into a PM&R sports fellowship.

Still waiting for an invite, hoping September is good to me
From talking with two current fellows, both PM&R trained, they got nearly all of their invites in September and a few trickled in in October as well. One had 7 invites and the other had 12.

I think September is gonna be the big month for most people.

Got my first contact yesterday which was a rejection 🥺 Hoping the IV trickle will increase post labor day!

Got my first contact yesterday which was a rejection 🥺 Hoping the IV trickle will increase post labor day!
I'm sure we'll hear more over the next 2-3 weeks. Looking at last years spreadsheet seems like a lot happened from the second week of September on forward. Particularly with the PM&R based programs. Most look like they sent invites out later on compared to FM based

Those with interview invites, how many do you have right now? I know there are still a lot of programs that havent sent them out yet, but just curious how many invites most people have right now.

Just made one, new to this whole forum thing, but hoping to help share info. I am EM, hoping to land where ever has hockey coverage! Applied to 18 programs
Vanderbilt has one EM spot, covers Nashville Predators ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Those with interview invites, how many do you have right now? I know there are still a lot of programs that havent sent them out yet, but just curious how many invites most people have right now.

2 interviews from 8 submissions. Also still waiting to hear back from the hospital where I did my away :(

Sitting on 3 currently having applied to 55 places. Still waiting on more than half the programs I applied to to send invites so hoping this week will bring more

Vanderbilt has one EM spot, covers Nashville Predators ;)
Applied there! Fingers crossed! Colorado, DC, Detroit, CHOP all cover NHL as well, Dell med has AHL, handful of solid D1 and a few ECHL team coverage out there too, I think Maine med does the Mariners and Michigan Health west does Grand Rapids Griffins. 18/20 places I applied have solid hockey so I can’t complain. Feeling excited!

No interviews yet. 4 rejections out of 35 progs applied. Feeling a bit discouraged. 220/240/219 steps 1,2 and 3 respectively, first time pass CS, Caribbean IMG. Can't think of any red/yellow flags on my app other then graduating from a Caribbean med school. Went to AMSSM, presented a poster, did a decent amount of case reports and QI, did sports sideline coverage volunteering, am a chief resident at my program. I know there's still time but I thought I would have at least 1-2 IV's by now :(

• Sad
No interviews yet. 4 rejections out of 35 progs applied. Feeling a bit discouraged. 220/240/219 steps 1,2 and 3 respectively, first time pass CS, Caribbean IMG. Can't think of any red/yellow flags on my app other then graduating from a Caribbean med school. Went to AMSSM, presented a poster, did a decent amount of case reports and QI, did sports sideline coverage volunteering, am a chief resident at my program. I know there's still time but I thought I would have at least 1-2 IV's by now :(
I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you really did all you could to be competitive and show an interest in sports. Hopefully something changes soon. Not sure if you've done this already, but might be worth sending some letters of interest to programs you're really interested in. Worst they can do is say thanks but no thanks. Again, so sorry, I hope you get some good news soon.

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you really did all you could to be competitive and show an interest in sports. Hopefully something changes soon. Not sure if you've done this already, but might be worth sending some letters of interest to programs you're really interested in. Worst they can do is say thanks but no thanks. Again, so sorry, I hope you get some good news soon.
Thanks brother, yeah I sent about 10 individualized LOIs out to programs that I genuinely would be stoked to match at. Best of luck to you this year as well!

• Care
Just got 1 yesterday and 1 today for PM&R based sports med programs after having 0 this whole time so far.
Thats awesome!! Congrats!

I also got an invite today for a PM&R based sports med program. Wasn't their first date of sending invites so some programs may have second waves or are filling open spots as they come.

• Love
Anyone know anything about the San Diego Sports Med program? It seems to be in conjunction with the UCSD Fellowship program but I can't really find any information on it.

Anyone know anything about the San Diego Sports Med program? It seems to be in conjunction with the UCSD Fellowship program but I can't really find any information on it.
AMSSM has both Chino and SD sports med listed as non NRMP and non board eligible but can sit for AOASM CAQ

Yea it looks like there is some faculty overlap between the SD Sports med and UCSD program, but UCSD has the ACGME accreditation which may be important depending on what type of job you're aiming for.

At this point probably safe to assume that all invites are out. How is everyone feeling? I fell one short of my goal number of interviews but overall very happy with the places I was fortunate to get invites to.

At this point probably safe to assume that all invites are out. How is everyone feeling? I fell one short of my goal number of interviews but overall very happy with the places I was fortunate to get invites to.

I only got 2 interviews and am disappointed about it but doing as much as I can to crush those interviews and make a great first impression regardless. (Only needed 2 to get accepted into PM&R residency so staying cautiously optimistic :p )

Happy for you that you almost hit your goal. At this point, we will all either get accepted into a fellowship or enter the job market and reach our full earning potential so its a win-win unlike residency. Best of luck to you all in your interviews!

Does anyone know when programs have to submit their rank list by?

Is anyone planning to send a letter of intent to their #1 program? I'm debating it even though I know it realistically will have little to no impact.

Is anyone planning to send a letter of intent to their #1 program? I'm debating it even though I know it realistically will have little to no impact.
It never hurts. I can tell you during our rank list meeting, amongst ourselves we ask if the applicant ever sent back a thank you letter. It’s a job interview people, please follow proper business etiquette. To us: no thank you letter = no interest.

Reactions: 1 users
It never hurts. I can tell you during our rank list meeting, amongst ourselves we ask if the applicant ever sent back a thank you letter. It’s a job interview people, please follow proper business etiquette. To us: no thank you letter = no interest.
Thanks for that, I appreciate the input. I've been sending thank you emails to everyone including the PC after my interviews because it was always instilled in me to do so. Glad that it does matter for some programs at least haha

Reactions: 2 users
Best wishes to everyone making their rank lists and also for making it to this point in the process! Wondering if anyone who have spoken to previous fellows, how far do people typically fall on rank list? I don't see any data on it online

Hi, I myself am not a doctor, but would like to ask some questions on someone's behalf.

When should letters of intent ideally be sent out? Does just about everyone do them?

appreciate any feedback thanks

Also to anyone willing to answer, I was curious about what length people did for their LOI's. I want to think a simple quick email would do, but thought I'd get more opinions since I get mixed info online.

Also to anyone willing to answer, I was curious about what length people did for their LOI's. I want to think a simple quick email would do, but thought I'd get more opinions since I get mixed info online.
PDs are really busy people. Keep it short, don't brown nose or you are more likely to annoy them than help out your app. Maybe 3-4 sentences if you are going to send it at all, I don't think this would dramatically influence things at most programs. Often rank lists get finalized very soon after interviews conclude (at mine it is the day after so it is fresh). All the faculty agree on it so anything after your post-interview thanks is a moot point.