Sports Medicine 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Febreeze

Reaction score
How is everyone feeling about applying this year? How many places are people applying to? Anyone know how interview season will be?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not sure how competitive it is. But I would apply depending upon the geography.

40...applied to more than originally planned due to interviews likely being all virtual.

Is everyone submitting the Code of Ethics Document from AMSSM directly to each program? I did not see a way to add it to ERAS

Members don't see this ad :)
This the code of ethics document mandatory? Or does a program ask for it specifically? thanks

Hi everyone, I am an international applicant, hoping to get a sense of the which sports medicine programs are the most sought after? Do people apply mostly based on the location, school, coverage?

40...applied to more than originally planned due to interviews likely being all virtual.

Is everyone submitting the Code of Ethics Document from AMSSM directly to each program? I did not see a way to add it to ERAS
I think just sending it?
This the code of ethics document mandatory? Or does a program ask for it specifically? thanks
Not sure but I think it's mandatory?

Does anyone know when interview invites will start being sent out? Has anyone received any invites/rejections?

Hi, anyone have thoughts on the length of the personal statement?

1 page but I imagine anything up to 1.5 pages would be okay. It’s not like they are getting thousands of applications like residency. Interview invites typically don’t happen until later from what I’ve read.

I'll just say that sitting in rank list meetings or when determining who to invite to interview, those that have a concise (<1 page) PS get positive buzz. Those that have a longer than 1 page get a negative buzz. Partially in jest because reviewing 100s of applications is exhausting. But there is some truth to it.

Also, if your interest in sports medicine comes from an injury sustained in HS or college, that's OK. Just recognize that it is not unique, and there will be 100s of stories about the ACL or stress fracture etc. Keep that part of the application very succinct, focus more on what you have done to prep to be a fantastic physician, and what passions you have now in the field. Someone that has a clear interest and direction they want their career to go is positive.

Reactions: 4 users
I'll just say that sitting in rank list meetings or when determining who to invite to interview, those that have a concise (<1 page) PS get positive buzz. Those that have a longer than 1 page get a negative buzz. Partially in jest because reviewing 100s of applications is exhausting. But there is some truth to it.

Also, if your interest in sports medicine comes from an injury sustained in HS or college, that's OK. Just recognize that it is not unique, and there will be 100s of stories about the ACL or stress fracture etc. Keep that part of the application very succinct, focus more on what you have done to prep to be a fantastic physician, and what passions you have now in the field. Someone that has a clear interest and direction they want their career to go is positive.
I agree with the second paragraph, and may even advise against using that opening. However, regarding length, while 1 page is the sweet spot, I would say content matters most. If you have 1.5 pages of pertinent information that is easy and enjoyable to read, then go for it. If you have 1 page (or less) of nonsense, it will definitely hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite on 8/3/21 from Halifax Health. First one, good luck y'all!! 💪

The million dollar question asked every year. Sending COE to all programs? Personalized email?

Best of luck everyone! We are are getting close :)

The million dollar question asked every year. Sending COE to all programs? Personalized email?

Best of luck everyone! We are are getting close :)
Hi, please expand? COE to all programs through a personalized email?

I guess you mean sending all of your programs individually a COE? Is there a choice?

Are we interested in the usual interview date/release spread sheet? Might help with scheduling. Copy and pasted from last year's spread sheet. Some programs will need to be added.

Do you all think we’ll start hearing about interview offers more this week?

Do you all think we’ll start hearing about interview offers more this week?
It’s possible? It’s seems like there’s been a few programs who have sent out invites earlier than before. I thought interviews didn’t come in until September, but the sheet has a few on there already.

Are we interested in the usual interview date/release spread sheet? Might help with scheduling. Copy and pasted from last year's spread sheet. Some programs will need to be added.

Thank you for starting this. I updated University of Illinois - Chicago. I will keep updating as I hear from programs, but the general consensus from what I've gathered from last year's fellows and other colleagues also applying this year to SM fellowship, is most programs send invitations late August/early September.

Question, on ERAS, if it says "osteopathic recognition", what does that mean? Do they only accept DO? Is it a DO based program?

So no place to upload your CV on ERAS, it just constructs one from your biographical entries? Is this the CV requirement that programs are referring to?

Question, on ERAS, if it says "osteopathic recognition", what does that mean? Do they only accept DO? Is it a DO based program?
They all accept MD/DO. Osteopathic recognition means there will be mandatory osteopathic lectures and components to the fellowship program.

Last edited:
So no place to upload your CV on ERAS, it just constructs one from your biographical entries? Is this the CV requirement that programs are referring to?
I think they just mean the activities portion that you fill out in ERAS, nothing additional. That section in ERAS is basically your CV. I have gotten a couple of interviews and did not send an additional CV on top of the information I placed in ERAS.

Thank you everyone for addressing my questions. So there is a COE which is a downloadable PDF which is signed and emailed to programs. There was also talk of emailing screen shots of your publications and signing it? Can someone clarify this application component? Thanks!

Hey guys, current M4 here applying for IM. Sports med has always been on my radar. Just wondering if anyone here is applying to sports med as an IM resident or if people match into sports med from IM. Couldn't really find any data on it.

Hey guys, current M4 here applying for IM. Sports med has always been on my radar. Just wondering if anyone here is applying to sports med as an IM resident or if people match into sports med from IM. Couldn't really find any data on it.
It's rare. Most are through FM then PM&R.

Current IM applying sports med. Mentor of mine was also IM and did sports med fellowship. Definitely not the standard path, but still possible! At times, makes it a little more challenging - sometimes have to explain WHY you went IM, so can add more to an already difficult process. DM if you want more info.

Last edited:
If you are already leaning towards sports, why not FM? Programs may also ask why you didn’t go that route

If you are already leaning towards sports, why not FM? Programs may also ask why you didn’t go that route
Still a bit unsure if I ultimately want to go that route. I do enjoy IM and it just gives me more options down the line.

My co-fellow was IM. Incredibly smart. I'd go to him if I needed a PCSM or would recommend him to any university or pro team in a heart beat.

But much more rare than going FM or PM&R. As far as I know the doors are still open through IM similarly to FM (where as PM&R can be more limited).

What do you think is the number of interviews needed to have a "99%" chance of matching

What do you think is the number of interviews needed to have a "99%" chance of matching
I don't think anyone can really answer that for sure but there is always old data to look at:

Granted it is from 2018 and things have changed particularly with Covid19 and Zoom interviews, but it looks like beyond 4 interviews and you get diminishing returns. I think that's actually nice to see given how many interviews were needed for residency.

Overall I'm just trying to enjoy the process.

As interviews come up thoughts on post-interview thank you letters? I recall residency they were often discouraged.

As interviews come up thoughts on post-interview thank you letters? I recall residency they were often discouraged.
Sports interviews this time around are a lot more intimate than residency. If a place is interviewing you, you're on a short list. Letters are perfectly acceptable and I'd say important because each program has strengths and weaknesses. Outline which of those strengths you're interested in, thank them for their time and keep it short. It may not make a big difference in the long run, but unless you're weird about it, it definitely can't hurt.

I did not send thank you letters to everyone - I know my program did not put much weight in a generic thank you we would get from applicants. I waited until the end and then made sure to make very personalized thank you to my top 4-5 programs and let the program know that they were one of my top choices.

I did not send thank you letters to everyone - I know my program did not put much weight in a generic thank you we would get from applicants. I waited until the end and then made sure to make very personalized thank you to my top 4-5 programs and let the program know that they were one of my top choices.
I understand thanking programs- not sure I appreciate the motivation of suggesting a program is a top choice? My understanding is the match is based on how they rank you?

I understand thanking programs- not sure I appreciate the motivation of suggesting a program is a top choice? My understanding is the match is based on how they rank you?
Worked for me?

Power Rangers Reaction GIF

I'm not sure the benefit of telling a program "one of my top choices". If I was a program I would just read that as "We're not your #1". Same way programs may say they'd love to have you but doesn't mean you're ranked to match. I think "generic" thank you's are better unless you're telling the actual #1 they are #1.

How's everyone doing?

I think we are about to come up to some exciting times!

pretty quiet I must say. Have people received correspondence that programs have even received your application? Just crickets here.

pretty quiet I must say. Have people received correspondence that programs have even received your application? Just crickets here.
Yeah I have some invites, but I applied pretty broadly. I also submitted the first day apps were open