Sports Medicine 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
32 programs applied. 20 interview offers. Only doing about 12-14 of the interviews

Members don't see this ad.

I had 6 (technically 7 if you count a program that had an osteopathic track) at this time last year. Only got 3 more after that including the program I ended up at. I think I applied to like 35 places.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 6 (technically 7 if you count a program that had an osteopathic track) at this time last year. Only got 3 more after that including the program I ended up at. I think I applied to like 35 places.
Thats a bit depressing but thanks for the heads up. Hoping for a few more since only at 5 :/

Does anyone know whether interviews are usually given out earlier to more competitive applicants? Or given out as they review applications on a rolling basis?

What are the stats for that number of interviews? I can't seem to find one of those charting outcomes graphs they had for residency.
6 is a pretty good chance of matching. 9-12 gets you in that 97% chance of matching range

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any PM&R applicants here? If so, how are you all doing? Are we also aiming/hoping for 10+ interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether interviews are usually given out earlier to more competitive applicants? Or given out as they review applications on a rolling basis?
From what it seems, most interviews tend to go out on one day. Although there are a few exceptions. I would also guess internal applicants would hear back first

From what I have seen most programs will interview about 10-12 candidates Per spot in their class. So if a program with two spots usually 20 to 24 interviews that they will send out on 1 day then if people start rejecting or canceling interviews, then the people who are a little lower on the list ranked 25 through 40 Will start to get individual invites. Thats just have some programs do it from what I have heard

Any PM&R applicants here? If so, how are you all doing? Are we also aiming/hoping for 10+ interviews?
Hey, I'm PM&R as well. Currently at 9 interviews so far, 2 PM&R and the rest through FM. I applied pretty broadly (40+ programs). I did turn one FM program down to free up a spot for someone else since I had a conflict with another interview. I've heard that 10 is a good number to shoot for from a couple of my faculty mentors, but definitely if you get more than that all the better.

Last edited:
PMR, Nontrad applicant with kids so a lot of locations were kinda out of our wheelhouse. applied 19 (more non-PMR) 4 interviews currently with a few rejections. Got 2 of of my top 3 so far. I love sports medicine but would be 100% ok doing no fellowship and have an MSK/spine focused practice after getting RMSK US cert. I honestly just really enjoy being around athletes and sports coverage. I was shooting for at least 6-8 but most probably want more to ensure a match.

PM&R as well and with 6. I'm hoping for about 10, but not sure if I'll reach that mark.

Does anyone know what a good number is to match? I can see some numbers from 2018 (average was 5 ranked for people to match) but I assume this has changed significantly with virtual interviews

Does anyone know what a good number is to match? I can see some numbers from 2018 (average was 5 ranked for people to match) but I assume this has changed significantly with virtual interviews
10-12 is a good number. I know good residents who had 6 iv’s an still had to soap or not match last year.

As a USIMG, would you say I’d need more than 12? I have 11 and want to start declining a few but still pretty nervous about not matching…

As a USIMG, would you say I’d need more than 12? I have 11 and want to start declining a few but still pretty nervous about not matching…
I think it depends on your primary specialty, and programs that have offered to interviewed you since I assume you’re a strong applicant given you’ve reached 10+.

I think it depends on your primary specialty, and programs that have offered to interviewed you since I assume you’re a strong applicant given you’ve reached 10+.
You have more than me as a US MD ! I only have 8
My sense is that this specialty does not value as much "prestige" of where you went to med school or residency, or step scores, etc. Most is experience and interest so I think you will do great

You have more than me as a US MD ! I only have 8
My sense is that this specialty does not value as much "prestige" of where you went to med school or residency, or step scores, etc. Most is experience and interest so I think you will do great
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it! I’m sure you’ll over take me soon enough and match to your number 1 :)

man... i think i just applied super late(completed app last week). sucks when not only did i decide late but also health issues aka cancer throw a wrench of uncertainty in life. :(

GL to everyone!

man... i think i just applied super late(completed app last week). sucks when not only did i decide late but also health issues aka cancer throw a wrench of uncertainty in life. :(

GL to everyone!
So sorry to hear that you are dealing with some heavy stuff in life. All the best with this cycle, as well as with the health stuff going on.

Why are some programs still not giving out interviews yet ugh.

Anyone have access to the 2021-2022 spreadsheet? Its locked for me

Is going on >13-15 interviews too much?
I have 14 right now and still have a few I applied to that have not given out IVs, so hoping to get 1-2 more

Is going on >13-15 interviews too much?
I have 14 right now and still have a few I applied to that have not given out IVs, so hoping to get 1-2 more
Hard to say tbh. I’d go to as many as you can unless you feel “meh” about some programs. I’ll be doing more than 12 interviews since there are so few spots at the programs I applied too and have met some of my co-resident applicants whom are great and have impressive application packets to say the least.

Hard to say tbh. I’d go to as many as you can unless you feel “meh” about some programs. I’ll be doing more than 12 interviews since there are so few spots at the programs I applied too and have met some of my co-resident applicants whom are great and have impressive application packets to say the least.
Got it ! Good perspective

I'm still at 9. Looks like most places have sent out, so I am happy for what I have but would love to hear from more places.

I’ve withdrawn from some places- sending good vibes your way!
I'm still at 9. Looks like most places have sent out, so I am happy for what I have but would love to hear from more places.

I’ve withdrawn from some places- sending good vibes your way!
You are very kind! Thank you for the good vibes, and I wish you all the best in your journey as well!

Do not decline interviews. I am an IMG and I didn't match in the first cycle despite of over 10 interviews. I did 22 interviews in the next cycle and I matched at my no 9 program. It's not easy to get a spot as an IMG. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow that is insane! How far do people usually drop in their rank list? I am a US MD but definitely non-traditional
Do not decline interviews. I am an IMG and I didn't match in the first cycle despite of over 10 interviews. I did 22 interviews in the next cycle and I matched at my no 9 program. It's not easy to get a spot as an IMG. Good luck.

Wow that is insane! How far do people usually drop in their rank list? I am a US MD but definitely non-traditional
Ok that’s a good reality check thanks! Looks like I’m ending the cycle with 15 but there’s 1 I’m not going to be ranking since it just doesn’t seem to be a good fit for me. I’ll keep any more that I do get though!

Really hard to predict. People from my institution have matched at “big name” places and also gone unmatched. Typically, the chief residents here haven’t dropped past their #5

Has anyone heard from Boston Children's ? Just wondering. No activity on spreadsheet

Any USIMGs from the previous year willing to share their experience/how many interviews and ranks it took them to match? I was looking at 2018 charting outcomes and it seems super different to what I’ve heard from several people!

What's the consensus on sending our #1 program a letter of intent? I feel it's early, yet some programs are done interviewing and maybe it's worth it? I don't this would change their rank list anyways, so might even come off as desperate.

What's the consensus on sending our #1 program a letter of intent? I feel it's early, yet some programs are done interviewing and maybe it's worth it? I don't this would change their rank list anyways, so might even come off as desperate.
Not sure what you mean by LOI. It is reasonable to send a thank you note and you should send an email and show that you want to be a part of the program. But I would do it only once. Im not sure if interviews are still virtual. If that's the case and they want the interested applicants to come and visit in-person one day then make sure you show your face there. I know in-person visit should not intentionally affect the ranking process of the program. But the truth is during the rank order list meetings it does affect the ranking of the applicants (unintentionally) and faculty discusses who sent a nice email after the interview and this applicant was here for an in- person visit and now we have a better understanding of his personality and we are glad that we met him or this person is working just one hour away from us, if he was that interested in us then he should have drove an hour to meet us when given the opportunity etc. I was surprised myself during the fellowship that how little things affected the ranking process so much.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by LOI. It is reasonable to send a thank you note and you should send an email and show that you want to be a part of the program. But I would do it only once. Im not sure if interviews are still virtual. If that's the case and they want the interested applicants to come and visit in-person one day then make sure you show your face there. I know in-person visit should not intentionally affect the ranking process of the program. But the truth is during the rank order list meetings it does affect the ranking of the applicants (unintentionally) and faculty discusses who sent a nice email after the interview and this applicant was here for an in- person visit and now we have a better understanding of his personality and we are glad that we met him or this person is working just one hour away from us, if he was that interested in us then he should have drove an hour to meet us when given the opportunity etc. I was surprised myself during the fellowship that how little things affected the ranking process so much.
For residency we would email our #1 ranked program letting them know we tanking them #1. Not sure it matters and I don’t feel it makes a difference in fellowship, but I may be wrong. All my interviews are virtual.

I do send thoughtful thank you notes to everyone.

2nd looks are not being allowed at most programs (and all the ones I’ve interviewed at least officially). It’s also stupid imo to even consider second looks part of the process. Many people cannot afford it and/or don’t have enough vacation/professional days to swing it.

Does anyone else hate the interviews when they start or only ask "Do you have any questions for me"?
This happened for 7 interviews in a row and really turned me off at a "Big Name" program

Does anyone else hate the interviews when they start or only ask "Do you have any questions for me"?
This happened for 7 interviews in a row and really turned me off at a "Big Name" program
As the interviewer, I love that question. I want to see if they even read up on our program. If they ask a question that was well stated even on our website, then I know they didn’t even bother to research us. Obviously we have an intro presentation about the fellowship, ie who we are, what we do, who the faculty are, what you cover, etc, but I want to know if there was something from our presentation that wasn’t mentioned, or need clarifying. I have 1-2 structured questions, then ask if they have any questions. Generally I like to keep the interview open forum so the applicant has a good understanding on what we can provide. Sometimes I’ll ask about something from the applicants file too. I take the effort of reading their file, LoR’s and personal statement. I expect the applicant to at least read about our program and know a little something about the faculty too.

As the interviewer, I love that question. I want to see if they even read up on our program. If they ask a question that was well stated even on our website, then I know they didn’t even bother to research us. Obviously we have an intro presentation about the fellowship, ie who we are, what we do, who the faculty are, what you cover, etc, but I want to know if there was something from our presentation that wasn’t mentioned, or need clarifying. I have 1-2 structured questions, then ask if they have any questions. Generally I like to keep the interview open forum so the applicant has a good understanding on what we can provide. Sometimes I’ll ask about something from the applicants file too. I take the effort of reading their file, LoR’s and personal statement. I expect the applicant to at least read about our program and know a little something about the faculty too.
I don’t mind the question as an applicant. It just opens the floor for me to ask or talk about anything. However, I hate the assumption that simply because I don’t ask questions about the program I am perceived uninterested. For most of my interviews I don’t particularly have any questions about the program as I’ve already read their website, information packet, and/or presentation which answer everything I care for. I tell the interviewer if that’s the case and proceed to try to get to know them, the people in the program, better. I’d rather know I can have a normal conversation with them than ask “how many procedures do fellows do?”

Yes, I understand it will be asked at some point. And I have questions ready, I do my research!
But not asking anything about the applicant is pretty off putting. To me I perceive it as lack of interest in getting to know me, or didn't read my application