Social Justice in Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a classmate that still calls negative actions or things “gay” or “******ed.” He’s still here lol. I feel like it’s a maturity thing. Then again, he also feels that everything that’s happening w cancel culture etc is “snowflake culture.” While I tend to agree that cancel culture is getting out of hand, I do not condone the use of “gay” or “******ed” out of their proper usage. Like I said, probably a maturity thing I hope - I don’t think he’s actually biased towards those individuals... I hope.

Sounds like he needs to grow up.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I think he’s implying in the current climate, baseless accusations of racism racists get you dismissed from medical school, but baseless accusations of mental illness would not.

I know what he's saying. I just disagree that one is worse than the others, regardless of consequences.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know what he's saying. I just disagree that one is worse than the others, regardless of consequences.

I’m not sure that getting your career destroyed because you are called racist by the wrong person and the wrong person sees it is on the same level as someone calling you insane.

Reactions: 5 users
I’m not sure that getting your career destroyed because you are called racist by the wrong person and the wrong person sees it is on the same level as someone calling you insane.

I'm not sure how many more times I can repeat this: it isn't about what happens to the person. That isn't my debate; that's yours.

Person A: you're a racist
Person A2: you're insane

Both person A and person A2 are wrong, regardless of what happens to person B in either scenario.

You don't have to agree with me, but let's not twist the point of my argument in order to disagree. And with that, I'm moving on from the "being a racist is worse than being insane" argument.

Reactions: 4 users

Agree that calling someone racist or insane is equally bad when consequences are not taken into account. However I'm surprised you don't agree with @VA Hopeful Dr that saying something "in the current climate" is worse than if it was said in a more appropriate climate. You were vocal about supporting the decision to fire a Vermont principal after she said

"I firmly believe that Black Lives Matter, but I DO NOT agree with the coercive measures taken to get to this point across; some of which are falsified in an attempt to prove a point,” Riley wrote, according to the school’s website. “While I want to get behind BLM, I do not think people should be made to feel they have to choose black race over human race. While I understand the urgency to feel compelled to advocate for black lives, what about our fellow law enforcement?” she added. What about all others who advocate for and demand equity for all? Just because I don’t walk around with a BLM sign should not mean I am a racist.”

Because what she posted was, in fact, tone deaf and offensive. I have no doubt why she lost her job.

The school district gets to decide what is and isn't compatible with what their students are learning.

You don't go into this particular situation that has been bubbling to the surface for years (race relations and law enforcement) and finally exploded and speak up for law enforcement while the fire is still raging.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure how many more times I can repeat this: it isn't about what happens to the person. That isn't my debate; that's yours.

Both person A and person A2 are wrong, regardless of what happens to person B in either scenario.

You don't have to agree with me, but let's not twist the point of my argument in order to disagree. And with that, I'm moving on from the "being a racist is worse than being insane" argument.

I mean that’s fine but you’re literally just restricting the argument to one tiny facet of it like it occurs in a vacuum when it doesn’t. But I guess if you walk away from a disagreement then you always get to be “right.”

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Agree that calling someone racist or insane is equally bad when consequences are not taken into account. However I'm surprised you don't agree with @VA Hopeful Dr that saying something "in the current climate" is worse than if it was said in a more appropriate climate

I never said I don't agree with that. That just wasn't the argument I was making. If I was going to talk about consequences of being accused of racism versus being accused of being insane in medicine, I could write a book. But that was never my argument.

I have a classmate that still calls negative actions or things “gay” or “******ed.” He’s still here lol. I feel like it’s a maturity thing. Then again, he also feels that everything that’s happening w cancel culture etc is “snowflake culture.” While I tend to agree that cancel culture is getting out of hand, I do not condone the use of “gay” or “******ed” out of their proper usage. Like I said, probably a maturity thing I hope - I don’t think he’s actually biased towards those individuals... I hope.
They are gonna not be a med student or resident if that happens in front of the wrong person, tell them to tighten it up

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
They are gonna not be a med student or resident if that happens in front of the wrong person, tell them to tighten it up
I’ll let natural selection take its course. I’ve insinuated it before = calling me a ❄

Yeah they are going to be the guy emailing their colleagues an apology after getting fired one day.
He’s actually quiet in the classroom/professional setting and is very polite when called upon. Outside of that though... complains about classmates who asks too many questions and calls people “gunners” who offer an answer to a question before a long and awkward pause.

Outside of what I said, he’s a pretty personal guy. I actually doubt his tendencies will transfer to a professional setting. I’m sure there are students and residents who are completely different outside of school/professional environments like at the hospital. While I don’t like the words that come out of his mouth sometimes, I actually think he can be a good physician.

He’s actually quiet in the classroom/professional setting and is very polite when called upon. Outside of that though... complains about classmates who asks too many questions and calls people “gunners” who offer an answer to a question before a long and awkward pause.

Outside of what I said, he’s a pretty personal guy. I actually doubt his tendencies will transfer to a professional setting. I’m sure there are students and residents who are completely different outside of school/professional environments like at the hospital. While I don’t like the words that come out of his mouth sometimes, I actually think he can be a good physician.

I know a few people like that. It’s a habit from childhood more than anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it took me a day and a half on an exquisite Labor Day weekend, and a couple beers to digest every post on this thread. I'll opine in the am. Thanks to all for a passionate and civil discussion! Thanks also to the Mods for allowing things to continue. I never believed words or opinions should be scary.

• Love
escalation.gif

Genuinely enjoyed reading the first 7 pages or so of this thread...then I got to the final page, and well...

It took me all of 3 or 4 straight hours of reading this to catch up. Thoroughly enjoyed arguments from all sides. Really glad this didn't get blown up.

To answer OPs original post: I think learning this stuff is useful - so long as it is learned in an apolitical manner. I personally, do not feel like it has been presented to me - or my friends at different schools in an apolitical manner, which is what I find discouraging.

My opinions on the rest of everything discussed is simple. I do not think an opinion can be racist - unless it is egregiously obvious. I think cancel culture is toxic, and has gotten extremely out of hand. I do not think someone extremely left should be kicked out of school for their views just as I don't think someone who is extremely far right should be kicked out for their views. However, I find it disheartening that far-righted students seem to be the ones with the inability to publicly voice their opinions without receiving backlash whether from peers, administration, or public. And that, I think, is a significant issue. I also do not believe doctors are REQUIRED to be political. Doctors should have the same right to clock in, clock out, and go home to the peace and comfort of their family if they so choose.

Though not related, but briefly discussed, was race. I want to touch on that subject, hopefully it won't be too inflammatory to get the post shut-down. Honestly, @Matthew9Thirtyfive, delete my post if you think it is, because I don't want to ruin a good thing.
People want to throw the statistics that African-Americans commit x amount of violent crimes and murder, while others want to question why that occurs (because I think we can all agree that that group of people aren't inherently more dangerous than others), or that they get incarcerated more and others question why, or even that African Americans are killed at a higher ratio than white americans by police officers and others question why. All of which are factual statistics that are followed by great questions. Some of the answers involve deep rooted american history. What I struggle with personally, and would love to have a conversation about is, how do we fix these things in a timely manner if they are so deeply rooted? We as a country are having racial protests - which is great to illicit change. But what is the solution? And how long will it take for that solution to be effective? Is there a solution to be made that is appropriate? I only think this is relevant to the 11 pages of discussion because of all the talk in this thread about race / current social and political environment.

Also, along the way, I picked up some comments that I would like to comment on - though by the time I got all the way to page 11, I am sure some of these people aren't even on the thread anymore LOL

Seriously? Optional lectures = sleeping in. The only students who will participate will be those who already believe it is important to learn. How can you facilitate constructive conversation with only one viewpoint? Do you really think OP will attend this optional lecture and have the opportunity to enlighten us?
The problem, like you stated previously, and kind of touched on, is that very few schools allow the option to have a voice in these lectures. There is usually only one side presented with little room for actual dialogue. The students whose viewpoints are different aren't being represented or heard. There shouldn't be a requirement for attendance unless truly apolitical.

I haven't read every single post, so I could be wrong, but believe the poster said that racists shouldn't be doctors. That's different from saying people with right-leaning views shouldn't be doctors.

Quote 1: The problem is that right-winged doctors / student doctors are being labelled racists (or losing their career) by leftist for their viewpoints that aren't racist, but simply differing. They truly say something racists, then 100% okay.
Quote 2: You're correct that person A and A2 are in the wrong. Difference is person B being labelled a racist (whether true or not) in this current climate can be a death sentence for ones career, while being labelled insane (while not actually being insane) doesn't warrant much response from anyone while actually being insane may lead to others trying to get you actual help.

A like wasn't enough for me to say how much I like this sentiment.

Plus, we all dislike the "asks too many questions" people. You still see that at conferences on occasion and those people still suck.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
A like wasn't enough for me to say how much I like this sentiment.

Plus, we all dislike the "asks too many questions" people. You still see that at conferences on occasion and those people still suck.
Lol. We have people like that who will keep everyone in a lab or small group activity for longer because the preceptor will say feel free to email me with questions, and then they will ask them there anyway.

You're correct that person A and A2 are in the wrong. Difference is person B being labelled a racist (whether true or not) in this current climate can be a death sentence for ones career, while being labelled insane (while not actually being insane) doesn't warrant much response from anyone while actually being insane may lead to others trying to get you actual help.

I think this is what bothers me most about the current climate. We offer people help and give second chances in almost all circumstances. Listened to an interview with a physician who was so addicted to opioids that he was taking 100 Vicodin A DAY and still practicing. He got it under control with some help and he was allowed to his license. We don’t offer the same redemption to people who said something hateful on twitter? Cmon. People can change. Why don’t we offer help to these people?

edit: here is that interview for anyone interested. About halfway through the podcast episode

There are a lot of topics that would fulfill all 3 of these points (MD vs DO, carib grads, Nurses ) but they either gets closed or moved. Inconsistency is what I dont understand and the fact they reopened the thread which is weird makes one think how much the fact an admim is actively participating influenced the decision.

As SDN’s Resputin by virtue of the many times I escaped death here, SDN’s most prolific poster, and a long timer (though not an “OG” here by any means), I will strongly suggest you simply get used to the inconsistency. There is no consistency. Never has been, never will be. Reset your expectations and you find yourself less irritated. As the kids say (or used to) that is my “Protip“ from me to you. Good luck.

• Love

Keep the politics out of the work place is the best advice as well. I’ve had to non renew a couple locums contracts because staff didn’t appreciate the political commentary from a couple of docs. I’m in a red state. One of those views was politically right and the other was politically left. People just don’t want to hear it in medicine. Not in the icu. Not during a pandemic. Show up, suit up, and see some damn patients. I don’t really care if you personally think Bernie wouldn’t go far enough or that Trump is God’s man for this time as long as you practice the general standard of care but if you are always getting the non-physician staff all riled up with political talk I can’t have you working in my ICU in 2020. It’s a practical consideration.

Reactions: 12 users
There are a lot of topics that would fulfill all 3 of these points (MD vs DO, carib grads, Nurses ) but they either gets closed or moved. Inconsistency is what I dont understand and the fact they reopened the thread which is weird makes one think how much the fact an admim is actively participating influenced the decision.

This is me talking as a member, not an admin.

Actually, when mods and admins are actively involved in threads, we usually recuse ourselves from moderating said thread (especially if it requires moderation on someone we are actively engaging). I warned a user early on for making a racist post (and deleted it), but once I got really involved in the conversation, I let other mods or admins handle that stuff because it wouldn’t be fair for me to moderate people I was debating with.

And for full transparency, the reason we reopened it is that we got tons of PMs saying that the civility in here was refreshing and that they would love to keep the conversation going as long as it remained civil. My initial vote was to just leave it closed. So my “influence” on getting it reopened was nothing.

I’m not sure what inconsistency you’re talking about. The only user who has said anything racist in this thread is on a post hold for it. You might disagree with the others, but that doesn’t make them racist or saying anything objectively offensive. It isn’t offensive to have a conversation about race in medicine, and it’s okay to disagree on how it should be addressed.

There are 8 billion MD vs DO or MD vs NP or whatever threads out there, and they get moved or closed because they are always the same. There is never any new information, and it ends up just being a bash fest on one profession or the other. 99% of the threads about race in medicine also get closed or moved because they all turn into a dumpster fire by the end of page one.

This one didn’t, which is why it’s still open. I don’t really see an inconsistency there.

I think this is what bothers me most about the current climate. We offer people help and give second chances in almost all circumstances. Listened to an interview with a physician who was so addicted to opioids that he was taking 100 Vicodin A DAY and still practicing. He got it under control with some help and he was allowed to his license. We don’t offer the same redemption to people who said something hateful on twitter? Cmon. People can change. Why don’t we offer help to these people?

edit: here is that interview for anyone interested. About halfway through the podcast episode

Uh we don’t offer the same chance to someone who didn’t even say anything hateful but got buried because of the cancel mob.

This is me talking as a member, not an admin.

I’m not sure what inconsistency you’re talking about. The only user who has said anything racist in this thread is on a post hold for it. You might disagree with the others, but that doesn’t make them racist or saying anything objectively offensive. It isn’t offensive to have a conversation about race in medicine, and it’s okay to disagree on how it should be addressed.
The projection here is crazy. I didn't call anyone racist or implied anyone who disagreed with me as rqcist. But seems like your conscience speaking up for you.

Haha. If I had a dollar for every time a mod/admin went all apologetics on their inconsistency.

Own it. It’s a fairly benign capricious dictatorship. Quit pretending otherwise. Lol.

The projection here is crazy. I didn't call anyone racist or implied anyone who disagreed with me as rqcist. But seems like your conscience speaking up for you.
I actually agreed with you that there was a different trigger speed for ending this discussion than md/midlevel stuff but you were straight up calling it a conversation on if “blacks were genrtically inferior” <—that’s an almost direct quote from your posts earlier, which certainly seems like you are calling some people racist. And who knows, maybe you were even right about someone because there were a lot of people talking. But it feels inaccurate to claim the accusation wasn’t leveled

Just coming in here to speed up the locking of this thread. And to OP, there's no grey area as to the value of understanding what's going on in the world. Understanding current issues, especially today, where everyone is super sensitive, anxious and tied into identity politics is useful in understanding your patient. If it's in the curriculum it should be objective, and laid out in facts.

Last edited:

I don't really want to change the topic of this thread (though I'd be happy to engage on a new thread), but that physician is VERY fortunate. Look up Physician Health Programs and how many doctors have lost their licenses and/or been forced to turn over hundreds of thousands of dollars in what amounts to, in my opinion, extortion by state PHPs. You can definitely lose your license for mental illness (and in some cases, just based on someone anonymous calling in concerned about your mental health), including addiction. Hell, even for depression. Look into it.

I actually agreed with you that there was a different trigger speed for ending this discussion than md/midlevel stuff but you were straight up calling it a conversation on if “blacks were genrtically inferior” <—that’s an almost direct quote from your posts earlier, which certainly seems like you are calling some people racist. And who knows, maybe you were even right about someone because there were a lot of people talking. But it feels inaccurate to claim the accusation wasn’t leveled
Saying I disagree with that statement is different than the accusation that I that because I disagree with people in just labeling them racist. Or did I say it was offensive to have a conversation about race in medicine. Those accusation are straight up not true and its just his attempts to deflect from their inconsistency

Saying I disagree with that statement is different than the accusation that I that because I disagree with people in just labeling them racist. Or did I say it was offensive to have a conversation about race in medicine. Those accusation are straight up not true and its just his attempts to deflect from their inconsistency
As calling someone genetically inferior due to race is the actual definition of racism, it sure felt like that was an accusation that someone was being racist. Maybe you use a different definition, so maybe we’ll just call it a misunderstanding

As calling someone genetically inferior due to race is the actual definition of racism, it sure felt like that was an accusation that someone was being racist. Maybe you use a different definition, so maybe we’ll just call it a misunderstanding
Yes i think that poster specifically statement was racist but not everyone on here who I disagree with. But yeah not the main point of my issue with this whole convo. It's the inconsistency that mods choose to enforce their powers

Yes i think that poster specifically statement was racist but not everyone on here who I disagree with. But yeah not the main point of my issue with this whole convo. It's the inconsistency that mods choose to enforce their powers
Fair enough, we’re cool and i agree that the md/midlevel stuff gets heavy handed

What do you mean? Link?

Can you anonymously refer someone to a PHP though? It wasn't clear in those articles.

Yeah sorry that was supposed to be a general you. We had multiple posters literally calling people racist for not agreeing with them.

Not sure what you think my conscience would be speaking up for though.

The (mostly) free market of ideas is a wonderful thing.

Glad this thread is still going.

I don’t know what you are taking about.

You are completely and totally free to talk about all of the ideas that are currently approved by the people’s glorious commissariat committee on appropriate thought.

• Haha
What I find ironic is that we have all these lectures about stuff we can't affect (again how does this affect how I will practice as a physician) yet I have yet to hear the words "physician suicide" or any lectures pertaining to it. Medical Education is so self-righteous, hypocritical, and pompous that we believe we can change SES determinants of health on a systemic level but can't even get our own profession to second place on professions most likely to kill themselves (and we are first by a long shot).

In a mandatory lecture on how SES affects mental health, I asked the question about why high SES doctors are most likely to kill themselves, and essentially called out the logical fallacy considering how bad mental health is in our profession. One of my classmates decided to post sh** on an anonymous message board about how I didn't care about poor people. I replied that I care about my classmates and their mental health as much as I care about people who are poor. The response received *crickets*.

The problem still stands, I'm not sure what a mandatory lecture will do to change anything. It's a systemic problem, and a lecture isn't going to change anything. But at least awareness of the problem would maybe have some potential of affecting the system. Same thing with opioid prescribing, or malpractice claims (and how to protect oneself), or sentinel events. At my school which actually isn't terrible with stupid mandatory lectures, we still have way more lectures on SES than we do about actual topics that pertain to our profession and role.

Can you anonymously refer someone to a PHP though? It wasn't clear in those articles.

The Medscape article specifically said it, but in case there's still doubt, check out some of the websites of state PHPs or Google for more PHP stories. People can file anonymously, including patients who may suspect their doctor is impaired. Google it and you'll get links like this:

I don’t know what you are taking about.

You are completely and totally free to talk about all of the ideas that are currently approved by the people’s glorious commissariat committee on appropriate thought.
Sounds like somebody needs some re-neducation

latest

• Care
The Medscape article specifically said it, but in case there's still doubt, check out some of the websites of state PHPs or Google for more PHP stories. People can file anonymously, including patients who may suspect their doctor is impaired. Google it and you'll get links like this:

My state's website does not have anything for reporting, and you need to request guidelines. It seems this is one of those ethical "If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about" kind of things. That being said, I don't doubt there are horror stories. I'll say this though, as someone who has been maliciously attacked on multiple occasions, the system has protected me. Each time it resulted in the other party being exposed. I could write a book. I probably will.

That being said on every occasion it was a source of intense stress. Yes it made me stronger, but I would never wish that on another student or physician. Best to just avoid the HA.

Last edited:
In a mandatory lecture on how SES affects mental health, I asked the question about why high SES doctors are most likely to kill themselves, and essentially called out the logical fallacy considering how bad mental health is in our profession. One of my classmates decided to post sh** on an anonymous message board about how I didn't care about poor people. I replied that I care about my classmates and their mental health as much as I care about people who are poor. The response received *crickets*.

lmao the guy straight up all lives mattered you

• Haha
My state's website does not have anything for reporting, and you need to request guidelines. It seems this is one of those ethical "If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about" kind of things. That being said, I don't doubt there are horror stories. I'll say this though, as someone who has been maliciously attacked on multiple occasions, the system has protected me. Each time it resulted in the other party being exposed. I could write a book. I probably will.

That being said on every occasion it was a source of intense stress. Yes it made me stronger, but I would never wish that on another student or physician. Best to just avoid the HA.

Your state is one of the non-sketchy ones. They aren't all like that. I agree for the most part, but anytime a system allows for anonymous reporting with such consequences, that system is asking for people to abuse it. Regardless the point of my post was in response to the belief that mental health issues aren't met with punitive consequences in medicine.

Interesting comparing this thread to the one below. That social justice activism loses its fire a bit with some wisdom and time in practice

ASTRO has gone full woke

2020 Medicine:
Pass Exams
Pass Boards
Pass Woke Exam

Then allowed to start residency

Status
Not open for further replies.