Social Justice in Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elaborate
I'd be interested to see the data in terms of testing AA, time to treatment, time to admission, time to vent with CV-19. I'm willing to bet it's inequitable. I asked all the woke IM residents about this when they were doing a "White Coats for Black Lives" photo-op outside of my hospital. So much cringe. I had to be token Black guy of telling them all to stfu.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interesting comparing this thread to the one below. That social justice activism loses its fire a bit with some wisdom and time in practice

ASTRO has gone full woke
This is what is disturbing. Agree with the "Narrative", govt policy, Wokeness, ...whatever, and you are good. Disagree, then you are an evil "Whatever".4 Legs good, 2 legs bad. This is how authorative govt's gain power. Think Cuba, Venezuela, Communist China. Our first ammendment is so unique to our country. The progressive cancel culture doesnt realize how important dissenting voices are. How do you think Putin gets elected every year in a landslide? Ideas outside of the party line are not tolerated. Uyghurs in China being forced into re education camps is a good example of where this can all lead. All voices need to be heard., including offensive ones. By letting people speak, we all get to see how ridiculous they are. Years ago, I recall the ACLU represented the KKK in court to receive a permit to demonstrate. The result was an event with about 25 people Goose Stepping around wearing fitted sheets looking completely ridiculous. It totally diminished them. Prohibiting it only makes them more mysterious. This is the power of the 1st ammendment. Progressive cancel culture has either forgotten or never learned this.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
This is what is disturbing. Agree with the "Narrative", govt policy, Wokeness, ...whatever, and you are good. Disagree, then you are an evil "Whatever".4 Legs good, 2 legs bad. This is how authorative govt's gain power. Think Cuba, Venezuela, Communist China. Our first ammendment is so unique to our country. The progressive cancel culture doesnt realize how important dissenting voices are. How do you think Putin gets elected every year in a landslide? Ideas outside of the party line are not tolerated. Uyghurs in China being forced into re education camps is a good example of where this can all lead. All voices need to be heard., including offensive ones. By letting people speak, we all get to see how ridiculous they are. Years ago, I recall the ACLU represented the KKK in court to receive a permit to demonstrate. The result was an event with about 25 people Goose Stepping around wearing fitted sheets looking completely ridiculous. It totally diminished them. Prohibiting it only makes them more mysterious. This is the power of the 1st ammendment. Progressive camcel culture has either forgotten or never learned this.
I find it hilarious you think cancel culture is a liberal phenomena. Nowadays conservatives adhere to it just as much. I mean, is there even a difference between cancel culture and identity politics?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"All voices need to be heard., including offensive ones."

What do you make of

One isle is saying it doesn't matter what position she holds; that even as a public school principal, she's allowed to have political views and voice them. The other isle @Mass Effect said that she's tone-deaf, didn't read the room, thus was rightly fired.

What do you make of

One isle is saying it doesn't matter what position she holds; that even as a public school principal, she's allowed to have political views and voice them. The other isle @Mass Effect said that she's tone-deaf, didn't read the room, thus was rightly fired.
I think this is akin to us making political statements in patient encounters. To be a primary school teacher or principal and expect that your job and social media are separated shows just how disconnected from reality you are. I know your point is more to a double standard though. Unfortunately with identity politics equality = liberalism. Should we cater to identity politics in being politically correct?

Last edited:
What do you make of

Yup, standing by that. I'm not a huge fan of people asking questions they already know the answer to (exactly what in that poster's post left you wondering how he'd respond?), but find it particularly troubling when you tag users (me) to resurrect old arguments.

Yup, standing by that. I'm not a huge fan of people asking questions they already know the answer to (exactly what in that poster's post left you wondering how he'd respond?), but find it particularly troubling when you tag users (me) to resurrect old arguments.

I'm resurrecting it because it's interesting (to me, at least) where two seasoned attendings draw the line. He may shift his ""All voices need to be heard" position when it's govt employees in contact with minors.

I find it hilarious you think cancel culture is a liberal phenomena. Nowadays conservatives adhere to it just as much. I mean, is there even a difference between cancel culture and identity politics?
Glad I could give you a chuckle.Thats really a great question and I think there is a difference. Cancel culture seeks to punish you if your words,( disturbing), or actions offend them. In my former job I could be fired for using the wrong pronoun. Identity politics seek to pit one group against another. Cancel culture appears to give a pass to those who might wander in words or deeds, but adhere to the narrative. I give you Bill Clinton, the VA Gov in blackface, and also the Prime Minister of Canada in Blackface. The danger of cancel culture is the the goal post keeps moving with regard to what might make you a racist, sexist, homophobe,....pick the label. How many more steps before you are in a re education camp? Since you only mentioned my attempt to label cancel coulture as progressive, I hope you share my thoughts in the rest of my post.

Reactions: 6 users
What do you make of

Or more importantly, it wasn’t actually an inappropriate post(from the portion I saw quoted. Was there more?) unless one is a child throwing a tantrum

Or more importantly, it wasn’t actually an inappropriate post(from the portion I saw quoted. Was there more?) unless one is a child throwing a tantrum

Don't think so. That was what she posted on facebook

I hope you share my thoughts in the rest of my post.
I think the Supreme Court should be deciding what constitutes speech protected by the 1st amendment and what doesn't. I think there are many cases working their way up to that. They've already made a few decisions about social media and government employees. I think that principal in case above will lose a court battle based on these, if he decides to fight it in court. Perhaps he should've focused more on educating himself and teachers on the law. I believe that the media caters to identity politics and misconstrues what is cancel culture, as per the case above. Feel free to educate yourself.

Without getting too much into what was actually said, I would say it's inappropriate in the fact that it is very unnecessary. I think the line that got them fired was the one suggesting that BLM movement are advocating for choosing black race over human race. I believe they would've kept their job if not for that line. I mean, that's a high school principal race baiting.

Without getting too much into what was actually said, I would say it's inappropriate in the fact that it is very unnecessary. I think the line that got them fired was the one suggesting that BLM movement are advocating for choosing black race over human race. I believe they would've kept their job if not for that line. I mean, that's a high school principal race baiting.
Except, they aren’t “race baiting” when they speak about an organization that has been so absurd lately. A group pushing “silence is violence” won’t let you mind your own business and claiming “all lives matter” is somehow racist means they accept nothing else than complete acquiescence to their list of demands that has gone far far past “hey, some of these cops are WAY into criminal territory with their behavior and it needs to stop”. I’m 100% with BLM on that one but it has morphed into something else

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, that's a high school principal race baiting.

Ok and? You have people like Ta Nehisi Coates and Ibram Kendi that have careers centered around race baiting, the latter of which is a college professor.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Except, they aren’t “race baiting” when they speak about an organization that has been so absurd lately. A group pushing “silence is violence” won’t let you mind your own business and claiming “all lives matter” is somehow racist means they accept nothing else than complete acquiescence to their list of demands that has gone far far past “hey, some of these cops are WAY into criminal territory with their behavior and it needs to stop”. I’m 100% with BLM on that one but it has morphed into something else

Ok I think the whole issue here is we're making BLM into an organization. That is a conservative, politically motivated construct. I mean who is they? I think you're missing the bigger picture here. I think you would find that vast vast majority of black people do not want to abolish police, and we are well aware that some people are lawfully shot by the police. I mean, if I wear a BLM mask or hold a sign that says BLM, am I part of this made up organization? BLM is a pun.....

Last edited:
Ok I think the whole issue here is we're making BLM into an organization. That is a conservative, politically motivated construct. I mean who is they? I think you're missing the bigger picture here. I think you would find that vast vast majority of black people do not want to abolish police, and we are well aware that some people are lawfully shot by the police. I mean, if I wear a BLM mask or hold a sign that says BLM, am I part of this made up organization? BLM is a pun.....

They’re definitely an organization.

Reactions: 8 users
:smack:

Right, but right now in America people fighting for justice see people conflating and bundling our grievances into that organization as a big problem. That's the point I'm making. It's why that teacher got fired. Perhaps he/she didn't know better. But as high school teacher, they should. I mean the saddest part about all this is the person got fired and is probably like wtf did I do wrong? In my opinion they could've just had someone tell them what I said in my post and hammered that into them rather than firing them.

Last edited:
I don’t remember if I’ve made this argument in this thread but I’m going to rehash it if I have.

The issue with the phrase “Black lives matter” is that it can refer to three things (as I see it).

1) The self-evident truth that black lives matter as much as anyone else’s. Almost no one disagrees with this except true, core, racists.

2) The movement of BLM which includes large groups of people ranging in political belief. This includes random people who decide to protest peacefully. This includes random rioters. This includes Marxists, liberals, and plenty of people closer to center. Hell, I even know some people right of center who have participated in it.

3) The organization BLM. This organization is made up of chapters in different cities. There is an overarching goal, but different chapters have stated different intended goals, including the eradication of capitalism at the most extreme (not an official stance of the organization, but certain groups/leadership have made it known in the past). They also use a variety of coordinated tactics such as blocking highways, peaceful sit ins, moments of silence, etc.

Now the issue comes when someone says I don’t agree with BLM. It becomes a Bailey and Motte situation.
For those who don’t know, the phrase comes from the medieval Bailey-and-Motte style castles. The Bailey would be the area where people lived and farmed and traded, an attractive to live in-area. The motte was a hardy, defensible position to which they would retreat when invaders came knocking at their door.

How does this apply to BLM? Well the ideals espoused by the group fall into the Bailey category. When people argue for BLM the movement, and the group, they’re arguing for certain reparations, ideals, etc.

When someone disagrees with them or states that they disagree with BLM, those who support BLM the organization (and the movement) retreat to the motte of “YOU DONT THINK BLACK PEOPLES LIVES MATTER?!?!” Which is much more easily defensible than the actions of BLM the organization and calls for reparations, etc.

Reactions: 9 users
I don’t remember if I’ve made this argument in this thread but I’m going to rehash it if I have.

The issue with the phrase “Black lives matter” is that it can refer to three things (as I see it).

1) The self-evident truth that black lives matter as much as anyone else’s. Almost no one disagrees with this except true, core, racists.

2) The movement of BLM which includes large groups of people ranging in political belief. This includes random people who decide to protest peacefully. This includes random rioters. This includes Marxists, liberals, and plenty of people closer to center. Hell, I even know some people right of center who have participated in it.

3) The organization BLM. This organization is made up of chapters in different cities. There is an overarching goal, but different chapters have stated different intended goals, including the eradication of capitalism at the most extreme (not an official stance of the organization, but certain groups/leadership have made it known in the past). They also use a variety of coordinated tactics such as blocking highways, peaceful sit ins, moments of silence, etc.

Now the issue comes when someone says I don’t agree with BLM. It becomes a Bailey and Motte situation.
For those who don’t know, the phrase comes from the medieval Bailey-and-Motte style castles. The Bailey would be the area where people lived and farmed and traded, an attractive to live in-area. The motte was a hardy, defensible position to which they would retreat when invaders came knocking at their door.

How does this apply to BLM? Well the ideals espoused by the group fall into the Bailey category. When people argue for BLM the movement, and the group, they’re arguing for certain reparations, ideals, etc.

When someone disagrees with them or states that they disagree with BLM, those who support BLM the organization (and the movement) retreat to the motte of “YOU DONT THINK BLACK PEOPLES LIVES MATTER?!?!” Which is much more easily defensible than the actions of BLM the organization and calls for reparations, etc.
This is a terrible analogy. You literally identify the phrase as having 3 subsets, within them, heterogenous, but for some reason give them all one MO.

Right, but right now in America people fighting for justice see people conflating and bundling our grievances
When people argue for BLM the movement, and the group, they’re arguing for certain reparations, ideals, etc.

When someone disagrees with them or states that they disagree with BLM, those who support BLM the organization (and the movement)

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Not what I did at all, and you also seem to have totally missed my point.
I think we both feel like we've missed each other's point? What is yours? That terrorists are masquerading amongst us, using us to push their communist agenda? You're so woke. Thanks for educating this sheep.

This is a terrible analogy. You literally identify the phrase as having 3 subsets, within them, heterogenous, but for some reason give them all one MO.
You didn't understand their point at all.

Disagreement about point 2 or 3 is treated as though you're against 1 (black lives are equivalent to all other lives).

It's dishonest and serves as cover for inexcusable behaviors and beliefs on the streets and on screens today.

You didn't understand their point at all.

Disagreement about point 2 or 3 is treated as though you're against 1 (black lives are equivalent to all other lives).

It's dishonest and serves as cover for inexcusable behaviors and beliefs on the streets and on screens today.
I get what point he was trying to make, obviously. I think he's failing to see mine.

Right, but right now in America people fighting for justice see people conflating and bundling our grievances into that organization as a big problem. That's the point I'm making. It's why that teacher got fired. Perhaps he/she didn't know better. But as high school teacher, they should. I mean the saddest part about all this is the person got fired and is probably like wtf did I do wrong? In my opinion they could've just had someone tell them what I said in my post and hammered that into them rather than firing them.
The teacher wasn’t wrong, as zissou pointed out they stated concerns with the tactics of the organization and when they did (very reasonable concerns by the way) people who claim to be reasonable (like you seem to be doing in this thread) say “of course she got fired for being a race baiter or racist”, which they were not.

that is illogical and innappropriate

Reactions: 8 users
The teacher wasn’t wrong, as zissou pointed out they stated concerns with the tactics of the organization and when they did (very reasonable concerns by the way) people who claim to be reasonable (like you seem to be doing in this thread) say “of course she got fired for being a race baiter or racist”, which they were not.

that is illogical and innappropriate
Actually what I said is the teacher got fired for saying that they shouldn't have to choose black over other races. That is race baiting. Had they left that out, they would not have gotten fired. Judging by that post I doubt the teacher has insight into what Zissou said. And regardless of any of that I mentioned that the law does not protect the principal from expressing their beliefs on social media.

Actually what I said is the teacher got fired for saying that they shouldn't have to choose black over other races. That is race baiting. Had they left that out, they would not have gotten fired. Judging by that post I doubt the teacher has insight into what Zissou said. And regardless of any of that I mentioned that the law does not protect the principal from expressing their beliefs on social media.
But again, no one should be choosing any race over “the human race”. And stating that shouldn’t be viewed as controversial

Reactions: 3 users
But again, no one should be choosing any race over “the human race”. And stating that shouldn’t be viewed as controversial
I agree. But no one suggests that. That is why it is race baiting. And that's why they're unemployed.

I agree. But no one suggests that. That is why it is race baiting. And that's why they're unemployed.
I’m going to disagree that “no one suggests that” as it’s arguably a stance of the organization

Reactions: 1 users
I do not want my tax dollars to go toward any race specific initiatives, including indoctrination in medical school.

I’m going to disagree that “no one suggests that” as it’s arguably a stance of the organization
Then we can agree to disagree and leave it at that. I do think however, on a larger scale that what this principal did is different and worse than say blackface. In each of those black face instances, those people claim they did not intend harm, and I believe them, given their age, context and social settings. Here we have a principal, knowing that his students will see what he posts, knowing that it's going to hurt some of their students. And you don't have to agree as to whether or not they should be hurt by principal's statements. I think it's illogical to try and rationalize that.

The hilarious thing is it’s only conservatives and republicans who lament making things “political”. Y’all, it’s ok you can vote whatever way you want and even believe whatever you want. That doesn’t mean we all have to look you in the face and pretend objective facts are 50/50 issues just because one political party refuses to acknowledge any form of scientific reasoning. Example: Climate change is real and will lead to more human death, disease and suffering. This is a fact. Even the Pentagon says it’s a huge national security threat. Should we all pretend the jury is still out because Ron Swanson doesn’t want his poor little political beliefs challenged?

Reactions: 1 user
The hilarious thing is it’s only conservatives and republicans who lament making things “political”. Y’all, it’s ok you can vote whatever way you want and even believe whatever you want. That doesn’t mean we all have to look you in the face and pretend objective facts are 50/50 issues just because one political party refuses to acknowledge any form of scientific reasoning. Example: Climate change is real and will lead to more human death, disease and suffering. This is a fact. Even the Pentagon says it’s a huge national security threat. Should we all pretend the jury is still out because Ron Swanson doesn’t want his poor little political beliefs challenged?

I lament making things political in medical school. I voted for Obama, campaigned for Bernie, voted for Hillary, and plan to vote for Biden.

Reactions: 5 users
Then we can agree to disagree and leave it at that. I do think however, on a larger scale that what this principal did is different and worse than say blackface. In each of those black face instances, those people claim they did not intend harm, and I believe them, given their age, context and social settings. Here we have a principal, knowing that his students will see what he posts, knowing that it's going to hurt some of their students. And you don't have to agree as to whether or not they should be hurt by principal's statements. I think it's illogical to try and rationalize that.
What you are saying is “just do what we want because our side of the argument can’t be expected to reason through an issue logically”. That’s not an appropriate metric for a govt to determine employment by

I lament making things political in medical school. I voted for Obama, campaigned for Bernie, voted for Hillary, and plan to vote for Biden.
What is “political”. Talking about objective truths that have become political issues because Americans are uneducated? I don’t think we should get every medical student to make political contributions or knock on doors for anybody. I think we should still teach things that are evidence based interventions to improve people’s health regardless of what either political party thinks about it.

What is “political”. Talking about objective truths that have become political issues because Americans are uneducated? I don’t think we should get ever medical student to make political contributions or knock on doors for anybody. I think we should still teach things that are evidence based interventions to improve people’s health regardless of what either political party thinks about it.

The lack of scientific underpinnings Is not a unilateral political phenomena

What you are saying is “just do what we want because our side of the argument can’t be expected to reason through an issue logically”. That’s not an appropriate metric for a govt to determine employment by
You're offering opinions, as am I. I mean at some point further communication is a waste of my time.

You're offering opinions, as am I. I mean at some point further communication is a waste of my time.
When one of us is cool with ending careers over their opinion, it does merit discussion. Appreciate the civil exchange

There is a lot more in it than that (black infant mortality was higher even with racially concordant doctors), you should be better st statistics than this
Ok. And it was much lower with racially concordant physician patient relationships than with racially discordant ones. A lot of racism is systemic, can’t be fully explained by individuals. And don’t patronize me. I’ve worked in computational biochemistry research that’s ~1000x more complicated than simple descriptive statistics.

When one of us is cool with ending careers over their opinion, it does merit discussion. Appreciate the civil exchange
Same. If it were my decision I'd give it more thought and most likely more compassion. This is the kind of discussion that should've been had with all the parties involved.

Ok. And it was much lower with racially concordant physician patient relationships than with racially discordant ones. A lot of racism is systemic, can’t be fully explained by individuals. And don’t patronize me. I’ve worked in computational biochemistry research that’s ~1000x more complicated than simple descriptive statistics.
Then why are you labeling something racism when it hasn’t been proven? You know better

There is a lot more in it than that (black infant mortality was higher even with racially concordant doctors), you should be better st statistics than this
Ugh hate to get dragged back into this again. But what does that matter? Hey I'm not into the evil whitey thing ok, but does it really matter? Perhaps you can use that as an argument as to why physicians shouldn't be matched up by race. I'm a proponent for that not mattering as far as patient care. I think that's the point though right?

I mean this is basic stuff. Literature is consistent in stating that lack of provider knowledge contributing factor.

Last edited:
Ugh hate to get dragged back into this again. But what does that matter? Hey I'm not into the evil whitey thing ok, but does it really matter? Perhaps you can use that as an argument as to why physicians shouldn't be matched up by race. I'm a proponent for that not mattering as far as patient care. I think that's the point though right?
It matters because the other poster was dishonestly saying the reason was shown to be racism. It wasn’t, and I was just pointing out that differing outcomes doesn’t always mean racism

It matters because the other poster was dishonestly saying the reason was shown to be racism. It wasn’t, and I was just pointing out that differing outcomes doesn’t always mean racism
But what would you call it then? Look at the link I put in edited post, delay of diagnosis/inconsistency with care by providers attributed to the deaths in hispanics/blacks. I don't think the poster suggested it was malicious, but it's definitely an issue.

I’ve worked in computational biochemistry research that’s ~1000x more complicated than simple descriptive statistics.

Want a cookie?

• Dislike
What is “political”. Talking about objective truths that have become political issues because Americans are uneducated? I don’t think we should get every medical student to make political contributions or knock on doors for anybody. I think we should still teach things that are evidence based interventions to improve people’s health regardless of what either political party thinks about it.

Learning thinly veiled critical race theory in medical school is political.

I came to medical school to be taught medicine, not to be told what lens to view racial interactions through.

I mean this is basic stuff. Literature is consistent in stating that lack of provider knowledge contributing factor.
I’ve read it. Vital Signs: Pregnancy-Related Deaths, United States ...

But what i’m seeing there clearly stated is percentage of preventable deaths did not change by race. there are a lot of factors but “the system is racist” doesn’t fly without proof

Learning thinly veiled critical race theory in medical school is political.

I came to medical school to be taught medicine, not to be told what lens to view racial interactions through.
It is frustrating that as a more left leaning guy I have to repeatedly explain this. It's like making me want a loud speaker saying we are on the same team and apparently a lot of players on this team lost sight of the whole point...

Status
Not open for further replies.