Social Justice in Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Learning thinly veiled critical race theory in medical school is political.

I came to medical school to be taught medicine, not to be told what lens to view racial interactions through.
Arguably, you have a choice whether or not use the believe or use whatever is taught outside of the true medical curriculum. You just have to go through the motions. Don’t like how your school teaches? Stand your ground and have a conversation w the administration. Unless you don’t care enough to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Arguably, you have a choice whether or not use the believe or use whatever is taught outside of the true medical curriculum. You just have to go through the motions. Don’t like how your school teaches? Stand your ground and have a conversation w the administration. Unless you don’t care enough to do so.

This is an awful way to view this. Medical school is about medicine and there was no indication that we would be involved in mandatory political classes.

Yeah, I’ll bring it up with my school so I can get ****ed for not toeing the line. Sure.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how long did it take you to come up with this one Shakespeare?

Seriously? You deleted your original "how long did you take to come up with this?" to just add the Shakespeare part? Took me less than a 1 second and is my instinctive reaction to unnecessary and unwarranted showmanship.

I really find it funny that you post this
Should we all pretend the jury is still out because Ron Swanson doesn’t want his poor little political beliefs challenged?

and then when your beliefs are challenged you resort to having to brag about something completely unrelated.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Then why are you labeling something racism when it hasn’t been proven? You know better
give an alternative explanation and I will hear you out. The bottom line is: black infants die at a higher rate under the care of white physicians as compared to black physicians. This isn’t something you think is in part due to the implicit bias of the provider? If not please let me know what could explain the gap.

Reactions: 1 user

You also seem to be totally missing the point, which is that this shouldn’t even be an issue in the first place. Medical schools should not be political machines.

“If you don’t like it, get yourself kicked out and prove it!”

• Haha
Seriously? You deleted your original "how long did you take to come up with this?" to just add the Shakespeare part? Took me less than a 1 second and is my instinctive reaction to unnecessary and unwarranted showmanship.

I really find it funny that you post this

and then when your beliefs are challenged you resort to having to brag about something completely unrelated.
He mentioned stats. I mentioned that I have the ability to read simple statistics by telling him not to patronize my skills because none of you know me and my math background. Let’s focus on the arguments that I’m making please. Clearly I’m getting under your skin.
Edit: yes I deleted the OG post to add Shakespeare. Thought it added the flare I was looking for lol

You also seem to be totally missing the point, which is that this shouldn’t even be an issue in the first place. Medical schools should not be political machines.
“Shouldn’t be” - however it is what it is no? My main point is if you have a THAT much of a problem with it, address it. Otherwise what’s the point?

Give me another plausible explanation. We

give an alternative explanation and I will hear you out. The bottom line is: black infants die at a higher rate under the care of white physicians as compared to black physicians. This isn’t something you think is in part due to the implicit bias of the provider? If not please let me know what could explain the gap.
It would be just as likely (given your low standards of evidence) that the patients are racist. Since that is obviously stupid and not proven by the study either, it would be most appropriate to stop asking people to prove the negative and instead actually prove your hypothesis

Reactions: 3 users
My point: if no one is going to address the things they have problems with then nothing will change. Therefore, in all honesty, this conversation is moot, no?

You shouldn’t be kicked out for expressing your view point. However how else are you going to change it?
We’re in a thread that just got done discussing a principal fired over expressing their viewpoint. One side of this argument isn’t at all interested in a safe exchange of concepts

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be just as likely (given your low standards of evidence) that the patients are racist. Since that is obviously stupid and not proven by the study either, it would be most appropriate to stop asking people to prove the negative and instead actually prove your hypothesis
The patients are racist so their babies die at a higher rate under the care of white physicians. Yes, clear oversight on my part.

Also, if you get kicked out for expressing your view point, based on the majority of leaders in medicine, could it be in fact that you are the one in the wrong? Food for thought.

Also, if you get kicked out for expressing your view point, based on the majority of leaders in medicine, could it be in fact that you are the one in the wrong? Food for thought.

Ah, good ole tyranny of the majority.

I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?

Reactions: 7 users
@sb247 Touche, although when you look at the data corrected for SES alone, the % is higher

but check out these

Edit: I don't know how the conversation devolved into such ridiculous statements and hyperbole. I think we can all agree that students shouldn't be punished for political opinions so I'll bow out there.

The patients are racist so their babies die at a higher rate under the care of white physicians. Yes, clear oversight on my part.
See how silly it sounds to spout off crazy inflammatory summaries or research that aren’t supported by evidence? That’s why we shouldn’t be doing that

Ah, good ole tyranny of the majority.

I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?
If it’s to escape whatever’s is trying to kill you on the bridge, sure. It depends on whatever gives me the best chance of survival.

By the way, I’m not saying white doctors are klansmen. I am saying there is a demonstrated disparity in the quality of healthcare based on patients’ race and this disparity is reduced when a black physician is caring for the child. This is a classic attribution analysis that you wouldn’t bat an eye at if it were attributing the effects of a certain drug or whatever to higher mortality but because someone claims that physicians are not perfect and have implicit bias. Everyone throws ad hominem attacks at me.

If it’s to escape whatever’s is trying to kill you on the bridge, sure. It depends on whatever gives me the best chance of survival.

Now it’s clear you’re being willfully ignorant to the point I’m making.

Popular =/= True

See how silly it sounds to spout off crazy inflammatory summaries or research that aren’t supported by evidence? That’s why we shouldn’t be doing that
I will simplify my summary of the research. Black children die more often when cared for by white physicians. The next (very small) logical step that even the authors make is: this is probably due to implicit bias.
0B677183-4D21-4679-9BFF-A9E75E174FB7.png

Now it’s clear you’re being willfully ignorant to the point I’m making.

Popular =/= True
That bridge analogy was not the best, you have to admit. The societal norm is based on the majority no? I don’t necessarily agree with it, and agree to your point, but somethings are based on the majority of what people believe. For instance is walking around nude in public inherently wrong? No, but it’s against the law because the majority deemed it so.

That bridge analogy was not the best, you have to admit. The societal norm is based on the majority no? I don’t necessarily agree with it, and agree to your point, but somethings are based on the majority of what people believe. For instance is walking around nude in public inherently wrong? No, but it’s against the law because the majority deemed it so.

The issue is, we weren’t initially talking about whether it’s what’s most popular, we’re talking about whether it’s right.

Really trying to resist invoking Godwin’s law to make my point here.

Reactions: 4 users
I actually think I’m getting off topic here so I’m just going to say if you have a problem with something, take action. Do something about it. I agree with most of your points @Steve_Zissou but there are studies out there on racial biases in medicine and having another lense to view things in my opinion is not completely forcing someone to view the world just through that lens. If you will, I see the lens as something I can take out and see something from a different perspective without changing who I am or what I believe.

I will simplify my summary of the research. Black children die more often when cared for by white physicians. The next (very small) logical step that even the authors make is: this is probably due to implicit bias.View attachment 317804

If you're going to be arguing such sensationally charged topics with literature you should use better resources. See above on implicit bias gold standard test, accrediting bodies recommendations. It's well established in the literature and it actually isn't a point of contention in the super majority of academic settings.

If you're going to be arguing such sensationally charged topics with literature you should use better resources. See above on implicit bias gold standard test, accrediting bodies recommendations. It's well established in the literature and it actually isn't a point of contention in the super majority of academic settings.
What’s your point? This study actually didn’t look into implicit bias. Please read the study I linked. It’s about higher black infant mortality under the care of white physicians. Implicit bias is just the predominant explanation that the authors use to explain this disparity. Don’t take my word for it though. Read the paper. If it’s bad science, take it up with PNAS. They’re not a rinky-dink journal.

edit: linked the study here again

What’s your point? This study actually didn’t look into implicit bias. Please read the study I linked. It’s about higher black infant mortality under the care of white physicians. Implicit bias is just the predominant explanation that the authors use to explain this disparity. Don’t take my word for it though. Read the paper. If it’s bad science, take it up with PNAS. They’re not a rinky-dink journal.

But does that study control for anything?

what do you suggest? Teaching some classes on race in medical school isn’t going to change implicit bias.

We’re in a thread that just got done discussing a principal fired over expressing their viewpoint. One side of this argument isn’t at all interested in a safe exchange of concepts
What a joke. I'm merely commenting on what happened to someone outside of my profession, citing them not being protected by Supreme Court law, and my opinion. Nowhere did I mention anything about medical students. Medical students have a lot of dumb opinions, all of which they keep to themselves when I come in contact with them because it largely doesn't matter to what we're doing. And vice versa. I think they should be free to express them in a school setting, whether I agree with them or not.

Actually, what you did was spout off a supposition that's devoid of logic. And I agree, we shouldn't be doing that.

This is an awful way to view this. Medical school is about medicine and there was no indication that we would be involved in mandatory political classes.

Yeah, I’ll bring it up with my school so I can get ****ed for not toeing the line. Sure.

If you don't see how sociopolitical issues are involved in patient interactions, then you should be the example for political classes in med school.

• Hmm
What a joke. I'm merely commenting on what happened to someone outside of my profession, citing them not being protected by Supreme Court law, and my opinion. Nowhere did I mention anything about medical students. Medical students have a lot of dumb opinions, all of which they keep to themselves when I come in contact with them because it largely doesn't matter to what we're doing. And vice versa. I think they should be free to express them in a school setting, whether I agree with them or not.
My comment was about the larger national conversation, not necessarily you (you had even said you would likely want to pump the brakes on firing earlier)

Actually, what you did was spout off a supposition that's devoid of logic. And I agree, we shouldn't be doing that.
Given that some of the justification for urm policies is a claim that patients are more likely to trust a racially concordant doctor, it’s not exactly blaming unicorns. But it is still a 100% not proven (hyperbolic) theory which should demand evidence to be taken seriously just like “well the white docs must be racist”

If you don't see how sociopolitical issues are involved in patient interactions, then you should be the example for political classes in med school.

Interesting. Although I never said sociopolitical issues play no role in patient interactions, that's you putting words in my mouth. My point was that it is not the onus of the school to push a particular school of thought regarding sociopolitical issues on me, regardless their views. I assume you would be just as happy if schools were, as a majority, teaching that the ACA is a failure and therefore a completely free, unregulated economy is the best solution to the lack of healthcare accessibility? Note, I'm not arguing for or against this point, I'm trying to point out to you why it is problematic that schools are taking/allowing a political stance. The winds of politics change often, and it's in everyone's best interest to keep medical schools out of whatever the current political trend is.

Interesting. Although I never said sociopolitical issues play no role in patient interactions, that's you putting words in my mouth

You implied politics has nothing to do with medicine, so what else could that mean besides that you don't think sociopolitical issues play a role in patient interactions?

I assume you would be just as happy if schools were, as a majority, teaching that the ACA is a failure and therefore a completely free, unregulated economy is the best solution to the lack of healthcare accessibility?

I'm in favor of evidence-based lectures and if the evidence shows that, then sure thing.

Note, I'm not arguing for or against this point, I'm trying to point out to you why it is problematic that schools are taking/allowing a political stance. The winds of politics change often, and it's in everyone's best interest to keep medical schools out of whatever the current political trend is.

Politics change; evidence doesn't.

You implied politics has nothing to do with medicine, so what else could that mean besides that you don't think sociopolitical issues play a role in patient interactions?

I'm in favor of evidence-based lectures and if the evidence shows that, then sure thing.

Politics change; evidence doesn't.

I didn't imply anything of the sort. I explicitly stated that medical schools should only be teaching us medicine, not a political worldview. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm perfectly fine with student-led clubs doing it, but that it their prerogative.

Funny thing about evidence is that the interpretation, and conclusions derived from, evidence often changes.

I'm not really sure what your goal is here.

But does that study control for anything?
Great question. Yes, fellowship training and pediatrician status decrease the absolute magnitude of the effect but the relative mortality rate (between white and black physicians) remains disparate regardless of subspecialty training. If you have problems with the science, that’s okay but I do ask that you keep an open mind to the possibility that these differences are caused by racial bias. The nature of science is that we can’t definitely say that this is a direct causal relationship, but this study does a good job in ruling out alternative explanations. Also, we make casual relationships based on weaker data in medicine. I reject the idea that we only scrutinize one type of conclusion with this amount of vigor.

Given that some of the justification for urm policies is a claim that patients are more likely to trust a racially concordant doctor, it’s not exactly blaming unicorns. But it is still a 100% not proven (hyperbolic) theory which should demand evidence to be taken seriously just like “well the white docs must be racist”
White doctors don’t have to fit our definitions (however different they may be) of racist for there to be clear and demonstrable differences in the way their black patients do compared to black doctors. It’s called “implicit” because it’s not at the front of their mind. I don’t think white doctors are racist as a rule, but the institutions in which they were trained, the society they grew up in, and the neighborhoods they work in have treated black people with disdain for centuries. To think that all of that somehow disappears when they put on a white coat is absurd. To the poster above that asks for my suggestion: I don’t have all of the answers but complaining about social justice in medical school curriculums is not going to save any lives. There needs to be more research on how we can reduce these disparities but in order for that to happen doctors must at the very minimum be educated on the existence of these disparities. No one is going to cure diabetes without understanding the mechanisms first. That’s why medical schools teach this stuff.

Great question. Yes, fellowship training and pediatrician status decrease the absolute magnitude of the effect but the relative mortality rate (between white and black physicians) remains disparate regardless of subspecialty training. If you have problems with the science, that’s okay but I do ask that you keep an open mind to the possibility that these differences are caused by racial bias. The nature of science is that we can’t definitely say that this is a direct causal relationship, but this study does a good job in ruling out alternative explanations. Also, we make casual relationships based on weaker data in medicine. I reject the idea that we only scrutinize one type of conclusion with this amount of vigor.
You can’t look at SES without race and vice versa because it correlates with education, access to care and ultimately clinical outcomes. There’s also genetics in terms of susceptibility to disease. I don’t think you can draw many conclusions from that data other than AA infant mortality is an issue, more research needs to be done there.

The underpinnings of SES, healthcare education is embedded with racism, and common sense as well as history/evidence points to it.

In terms of healthcare, the evidence overwhelming points to system racism in medicine. That’s why medical schools teach these things. That’s why the accreditation of hospitals, residencies teach these things. It’s why there’s government funding for it. No matter how many people scream on the internet about it, it will unlikely change less we continue the path of politicizing science. That’s the reality.

There hasn’t been a more significant event in history of modern medicine being more politicized than the current pandemic. It’s hilarious that social justice becomes an issue to some medical students. ****s.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
You can’t look at SES without race and vice versa because it correlates with education, access to care and ultimately clinic outcomes. There’s also genetics in terms of susceptibility to disease. I don’t think you can draw many conclusions from that data other than AA infant mortality is an issue, more research needs to be done there.

The underpinnings of SES, healthcare education is embedded with racism, and common sense as well as history/evidence points to it.

In terms of healthcare, the evidence overwhelming points to system racism in medicine. That’s why medical schools teach these things. That’s why the accreditation of hospitals, residencies teach these things. It’s why there’s government funding for it. No matter how many people scream on the internet about it, it will unlikely change less we continue the path of politicizing science. That’s the reality.
I agree it’s a systemic problem, but there must also be some reason why black physicians get better results? The study mentioned shows that black physicians are able to achieve lower mortality. What’s causing that? That should be motivation that something can be done. Even from a practical standpoint don’t you guys want to provide better services for your patients? How will you know you’re even doing a good job if we don’t track these metrics and do our best to beat down these disparities? If your practice/ institution doesn’t care about that and you just punch in and punch out, someone down the street will almost certainly be doing a better job to provide more equitable care. Doesn’t that set off your competitive edge to want to be the best damn doctor you can be? One suggestion: maybe ask your black colleagues what they do and think about when treating their patients? But in order for that to happen you need to have black colleagues somewhere. It’s not all medical schools fault but the percentage of black physicians has not increased in decades and this is something we should do some soul searching as a society and see if we are ok with 5% of physicians being black when 13% of our population is black. This is not about blaming people. It’s about providing a better product for our patients. I’m sure that’s why you and everyone else on the thread chose medicine.

ITT: Medical students crying about “I only want to learn medicine”. Same idiots who wouldn’t defend the guy who literally wrote the book on internal medicine.

• Dislike
ITT: Medical students crying about “I only want to learn medicine”. Same idiots who wouldn’t defend the guy who literally wrote the book on internal medicine.

Dude, maybe you should step away from the keyboard for a sec and try to chill out. You're jumping to attacks that are totally unnecessary, you're calling people "****s." I mean, unless shutting down the conversation by making it about personal attacks is your goal.

Dude, maybe you should step away from the keyboard for a sec and try to chill out. You're jumping to attacks that are totally unnecessary, you're calling people "****s." I mean, unless shutting down the conversation by making it about personal attacks is your goal.
:(

It’s not all medical schools fault but the percentage of black physicians has not increased in decades and this is something we should do some soul searching as a society and see if we are ok with 5% of physicians being black when 13% of our population is black. This is not about blaming people. It’s about providing a better product for our patients. I’m sure that’s why you and everyone else on the thread chose medicine.

The issue with this is that not everyone agrees about how to get there. Do you force equality of outcome or strive to provide equality of opportunity? Some people don't even agree that diversity as measured by the color of your skin should be the goal, but rather diversity of experience or opinion. Do we start telling schools to accept X% Hispanic, Y% African-American, Z% Asian?

I'm of the opinion that equality of opportunity should be the goal and that begins at the grassroots level, not top-down via government mandates.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.