So I just failed Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha calm down guys, I was just reading this thread and thought a lot of the posts were pretty unnecessarily caustic for no apparent reason other than the fact that someone decided to live their life in a way that you don't see fit. Let people be happy, just because they don't live their lives the way you do doesn't mean it's wrong

Members don't see this ad.

Calm down guys, everyone has a different perspective on life shaped by their own upbringing and beliefs, let others be. Don't resort to online hatred of others's points of views just because you have a screen to hide behind, millions of people have had arranged marriages and been perfectly happy. Ark brought up a ton of great points that you guys are seemingly ignoring just because its not the "American way." Let people play to their strengths, and calm down.

Life is like a game of poker--you have to make the best of the cards you're dealt with, and it's clear Ark is doing that really well. Just don't get pissed because he knows his hand and can play to its advantage in his own life.
Yeahhh.... not buying it

Reactions: 2 users
Haha not gonna waste my time proving something to you, enjoy your saturday fellas. Just thought I would let you try to broaden your outlook on different cultures and personalities, instead of allowing yourself to be the archetype for the perfect person. C'mon, you're going to be doctors someday, relax and let people live their lives

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha not gonna waste my time proving something to you, enjoy your saturday fellas. Just thought I would let you try to broaden your outlook on different cultures and personalities, instead of allowing yourself to be the archetype for the perfect person. C'mon, you're going to be doctors someday, relax and let people live their lives

Fool us once, Ark, shame on - shame on, uh, you.

Fool us - uh we can't get fooled again.

Reactions: 4 users
Believe whatever helps you sleep at night man, take it easy

You're showing remarkable restraint against your sworn mortal enemy. I respect that.

Reactions: 7 users
I've never had an enemy. I wonder what it feels like?

I feel like I a read this same thread every couple of weeks. Different titles, but basically the same thread.

Maybe next time ark starts on his tirades, the mods can copy/paste all the subsequent responses from a past thread and save us all the trouble....

Reactions: 5 users
Look, I can't read your mind, I can only read what you wrote. If you want to say that I interpreted it incorrectly, that's fine. And I appreciate the clarification of your stance, because I honestly was not getting most of it from your first post.

Nowhere did I say that I prefer independence for independence's sake. I have been in a relationship for 4 years. I know I can rely on my SO if I need to, just as know that I can rely on my family. But there is a difference between knowing that I can rely on someone and being obligated to.

The way that your earlier post was written strictly referred to women (and in a generalizing way) with a lot of what you talk about, whereas clearly you meant for your thoughts to apply to men and women. I don't disagree that the kind of hardening you talk about can be the root of someone's choice to do things more on their own. But it doesn't have to be. You may not have intended for that implication to be in your earlier post, but it was there, and there isn't much accounting for author's intent.

We have a fundamental difference in the way we view relationships if you think that anyone, man or woman, should be "in charge" in the relationship at all. But again, I appreciate the clarification of your stance.

It seems you may have misunderstood some parts of my response as well. I understood what you meant when you said strong, and I certainly did not think you meant women needed more cruel/strict/etc. men in their lives. It goes back to the fact that the post was unbalanced, placing too much importance, I think, on the specific role of a certain type of male in a woman's life. But maybe I am biased--I was raised by a single mother, and I found her strength to be more important in my life than that of any of the positive male figures that I had. Rest assured, you don't have to tell me to read.

As for the rest, I read it (with no foot-tapping involved!) and I can respect your views. I would only say that personally, though I may be exchanging one type of subservience for another as you say, I am deeply protective of my right to make that choice. I don't put much, if any, stock in traditional gender roles. Were women empowered? I think so. If only because we are maybe moving towards a time where, for example, the default won't be for a woman to be questioned about who will take care of her family as she pursues her career, while it is assumed that in a man's case, that is what his wife is for.

As for my snarkiness, I will not apologize for that...i enjoy a healthy dose of sarcasm :)

You're not the only one that got that impression from his post. In fact I found his longer explanation even more disturbing, maybe because of the level of justification or confidence in his perspective, which quite frankly made me uneasy. I'm really curious who the "strong women" he loathes are.

I have no problem with a guy preferring a girl who stays at home, and I definitely don't have a problem with a woman wanting to stay at home, but I have a problem when someone who talks (writes?) like Ark wanting a woman to be a sexual partner/maid, because you know the type of perspective he's coming from. The type where if his wife were to want to do something (get a degree, get a job, take classes) say in 10-15 years when things slow down for him, and suddenly he had to do some of the "womanly work" he'd flip out. I mean he's the doctor right? He's the only one working hard, right?

When you marry someone, sure an aspect of it is a contract with roles sometimes designated or expected based on the situation, but its also a partnership. You have each other's back. You support each other through hardships, you get advice from each other. One doesn't need to be "in control", there's usually a balance (at least in a healthy situation). Its compromise.

I feel sorry for anyone who wishes for something less than that from a spouse.

I had this same reaction, which was then confirmed by his longer post. I have nothing against women who chose to be stay at home moms, personally, I think doing so is devaluing women's work and sexist in itself. However, I hate this idea of someone convincing their spouse to do such a thing, and the idea that one person has to be the subservient in a relationship. Not everyone works like that and it's not because of hardening or brokenness or lack of strong men in our lives (whatever that means, I'm assuming traditional, my dad is my favorite person in the world but I have a feeling you wouldn't say he counted because he's not traditional or conservative). Many women want equal partnerships in their relationships and marriages, I think in a lot of ways that's the norm...

I felt exactly the same way.

Last edited:
I feel like I a read this same thread every couple of weeks. Different titles, but basically the same thread.

Maybe next time ark starts on his tirades, the mods can copy/paste all the subsequent responses from a past thread and save us all the trouble....

You know how everyone has a favorite movie that they will watch all the way through, no matter how many times they've seen it? It's kinda like that, except this movie sucks.

Reactions: 5 users
Sigh, why do you think it will be unhappy? I don't intend to mistreat anyone, quite the opposite actually. The only thing I'm saying is that I have a much better chance of securing the kind of woman I want through this method than the American one.

Hang in there Ark. Actually, I think you're probably right about this. An arranged marriage bypasses all of the superficial social ritual and 'game' of the US dating scene and substitutes a more rational analysis. And once a woman has been chosen for you, odds are good she will at least take the time to get to know you as a person and give you a chance to show that you're a decent guy. Just know that you will need to be open and honest with her, which can be a very uncomfortable thing for an Aspie.

I do disagree with you on one point. The "fairy tale" actually does exist. It's rare, but it is real. Don't expect it certainly, but do aim for it. Making that effort can sometimes make it happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It makes me a bit sad to get so much hate :(

Anyways, I'm surprised that people think I have a problem with female authority figures. Pretty much all the teachers and mentors I have had in my life have been women, and I respect and love all of them.

The difference is that in terms of marriage/dating, I am looking first and foremost for a sex partner and a housekeeper, not a professional woman. There's nothing wrong with a woman having a professional life, but it does not attract me in the slightest. That's really it. I don't see anything misogynistic about that statement.

You don't see anything misogynistic in that statement?! Really? Really?!

This may be hard for you to understand Ark, but women are people too. Fully-faceted, complete, complicated people, with hopes and dreams, thoughts, ideas, goals and ambitions. Our lives are no less important, no less meaningful than men's.

You want a sex partner and housekeeper? Rent them! A wife should be a life partner.

Reactions: 6 users
women are people too. Fully-faceted, complete, complicated people, with hopes and dreams, thoughts, ideas, goals and ambitions. Our lives are no less important, no less meaningful than men's.

Now that's just crazy talk :rofl:

To play devil's advocate, Ark is just saying he wants a woman that fits his criteria. This is not mutually exclusive of women as a whole being congruent with DokterMom's description.

Edit: I think I mean mutually inclusive....you get what I'm saying.

Are we under the impression that doctor can't afford a maid to tidy up a few times a week?

Find a woman you enjoy spending time with...her cleaning ability is an unnecessary restriction to the pool of candidates. Stick to things like value systems, religion, and financial principles for narrowing the field. They narrow it plenty

Reactions: 8 users
And once a woman has been chosen for you, odds are good she will at least take the time to get to know you as a person and give you a chance to show that you're a decent guy.
Except he's not a decent guy. He's a hateful, black-souled boring power-hungry gamer. He's trite and empty inside. He would rather see others fail and he'd rather escape than face reality head-on. I feel bad for the future girl...I hope the dream of America will be exciting enough. Eh, she can always have a fling on the side if she's that attractive, right? I know an Indian girl that does that and she isn't even all that.

Reactions: 1 users
Hang in there Ark. Actually, I think you're probably right about this. An arranged marriage bypasses all of the superficial social ritual and 'game' of the US dating scene and substitutes a more rational analysis. And once a woman has been chosen for you, odds are good she will at least take the time to get to know you as a person and give you a chance to show that you're a decent guy. Just know that you will need to be open and honest with her, which can be a very uncomfortable thing for an Aspie.

I do disagree with you on one point. The "fairy tale" actually does exist. It's rare, but it is real. Don't expect it certainly, but do aim for it. Making that effort can sometimes make it happen.

You don't see anything misogynistic in that statement?! Really? Really?!

This may be hard for you to understand Ark, but women are people too. Fully-faceted, complete, complicated people, with hopes and dreams, thoughts, ideas, goals and ambitions. Our lives are no less important, no less meaningful than men's.

You want a sex partner and housekeeper? Rent them! A wife should be a life partner.
I liked the 180 degree change in demeanor between your 2 posts one after the other.

Last edited:
Are we under the impression that doctor can't afford a maid to tidy up a few times a week?

Find a woman you enjoy spending time with...her cleaning ability is an unnecessary restriction to the pool of candidates. Stick to things like value systems, religion, and financial principles for narrowing the field. They narrow it plenty

A very intelligent post. :claps:

@Arkangeloid - The person doing the cleaning is not particularly relevant. And please consider also that a woman who marries a man for money is not generally one who wants to do her own cleaning work. A maid is what the money's for. And shoes.

I liked the 180 degree change in demeanor between your 2 posts one after the other.

Looks that way, doesn't it? But the first post was written before I read the comments that triggered the second. And I do still believe that his chances for marriage are significantly improved by having that marriage arranged on his behalf.

Or Online. Can't you just picture:

"Stable financial provider in moderately high-status occupation seeks sex partner and housekeeper. Me: Slightly overweight neurotic Aspie. You: Tight-@ssed, small-waisted hottie. Have your parents call mine to arrange marriage."

Reactions: 13 users
"Stable financial provider in moderately high-status occupation seeks sex partner and housekeeper. Me: Slightly overweight neurotic Aspie. You: Tight-@ssed, small-waisted hottie. Have your parents call mine to arrange marriage."
A match made in heaven. :lol::lol::lol:

Except he's not a decent guy. He's a hateful, black-souled boring power-hungry gamer. He's trite and empty inside. He would rather see others fail and he'd rather escape than face reality head-on. I feel bad for the future girl...I hope the dream of America will be exciting enough. Eh, she can always have a fling on the side if she's that attractive, right? I know an Indian girl that does that and she isn't even all that.

Tell us...how you really feel?

I'd be concerned that if Ark's wife ever cheated on him, he'd think he has the right to chop her head off and put it on a stake, Game of Thrones style...

Reactions: 6 users

I'd be concerned that if Ark's wife ever cheated on him, he'd think he has the right to chop her head off and put it on a stake, Game of Thrones style...
Or more Philip Markoff, BU med student style.

Some truth to this.

Some truth to what Arkangeloid is saying as well.

Last edited:
Why can't someone be fulfilled as a housewife/househusband?

It would bore the poop out of me but everyone's different.

They can. Lots of people can.

But being fulfilled as a housewife married to a misogynist gaming addict?

She could enjoy being an enabler, have an X-box fetish, be from a poor village in India, low self-esteem, etc...

The possibilities are endless, IM. Endless!! :)

Mail order bride maybe? Only kind of joking

He could just go online for dating. Most of the stigma is gone.

Not something I'd ever do but tons of desperate, awkward people find a good match on those sites.

ark follow your dreams you will find the perfect housewife who will clean you up and fulfill you sexually.
She has to be your soulmate too, otherwise it is not too socially polite.

Love will not betray, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free, more like the man you were meant to be, @Arkangeloid

ark follow your dreams you will find the perfect housewife who will clean you up and fulfill you sexually.
She has to be your soulmate too, otherwise it is not too socially polite.

Love will not betray, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free, more like the man you were meant to be, @Arkangeloid
[insert "can't tell if serious" .jpg here]

I consider it a mild achievement to have a >1 ratio and 4K posts (**and not be a frequent lounge poster, as their likes are crazy). Not interested in starting from scratch

Can't be too hard. Just join the Ark Hate Train and you'll generate crazy amounts of "likes."

He could just go online for dating. Most of the stigma is gone.

Not something I'd ever do but tons of desperate, awkward people find a good match on those sites.

Eh, I've done my share of online dating and I don't think it's easier than real life. I mean, there are good points, but the ease isn't one.

I actually like the idea of beheading people, though not because I have an appetite for violence.

You see, last year we did Neurology. During the physio portion of the course, the professor taught us that when an individual was beheaded, you would see his muscles start to spasm, because by removing the upper motor neurons through beheading, you left only the lower motor neurons, which played a role in facilitating muscle movements.

That statement always stuck with me in the back of my mind, and I wondered...was that professor telling the truth, or was he lying to get us interested in Neurophysiology? I tried to find videos of beheadings and executions online, but had no luck.

Then, ISIS started beheading dudes, and I got excited, because I could finally be able to see if the Neuro prof had told me the truth or not. Except ISIS censored the immediate aftermath of the beheadings.

:(

Do we have any Neurologists here that can confirm or deny this?

Can't be too hard. Just join the Ark Hate Train and you'll generate crazy amounts of "likes."

And by hate, we mean "attempt to madly disabuse Ark of his storied delusions about how getting a feeeeemale to marry him long-term and in a happy way". Just because people are critical doesn't mean they're the enemy.

I actually like the idea of beheading people, though not because I have an appetite for violence.

You see, last year we did Neurology. During the physio portion of the course, the professor taught us that when an individual was beheaded, you would see his muscles start to spasm, because by removing the upper motor neurons through beheading, you left only the lower motor neurons, which played a role in facilitating muscle movements.

That statement always stuck with me in the back of my mind, and I wondered...was that professor telling the truth, or was he lying to get us interested in Neurophysiology? I tried to find videos of beheadings and executions online, but had no luck.

Then, ISIS started beheading dudes, and I got excited, because I could finally be able to see if the Neuro prof had told me the truth or not. Except ISIS censored the immediate aftermath of the beheadings.

That's f**ked up

Well excuse me for appreciating my medical education and showing some intellectual curiosity. Isn't that what you guys, especially @southernIM , kept bugging me to do?

There is a line between intellectual curiosity and saying something that isn't really socially acceptable. While it is not always clear exactly where it is, you have leapt over that line now.

Well excuse me for appreciating my medical education and showing some intellectual curiosity. Isn't that what you guys, especially @southernIM , kept bugging me to do?

Yes, you picked up on our subtle undertones encouraging you to watch gruesome, cold-blooded murders and enjoy it. You are one f*cked up person, Ark. I'm done trying to justify everything you say.

Wow, Arkangeloid really jumped the shark. All benefits of the doubt have been officially redacted. Aspie troll level is > 5000.

Reactions: 3 users
How does appreciating beheadings show intellectual curiosity?

How does appreciating beheadings show intellectual curiosity?

I wasn't appreciating them, I was empirically trying to find out whether it's true that the body starts to spasm after a beheading.

Why in God's name would your Neuroscience PhD professor or even your Neurology MD clinician lecturer LIE to you? He could give a **** less if you choose Neurology as your specialty or not.

Reactions: 3 users
Why in God's name would your Neuroscience PhD professor or even your Neurology MD clinician lecturer LIE to you? He could give a **** less if you choose Neurology as your specialty or not.

Oh. Well, when you put it that way, I feel like a ****.

I wasn't appreciating them, I was empirically trying to find out whether it's true that the body starts to spasm after a beheading.
200_s.gif

Oh. Well, when you put it that way, I feel like a ****.
I'm just surprised you think a professor would care to recruit a med student when everything occurs thru the match anyways, and a student is influenced by many different factors when it comes to specialty selection.

I'm just surprised you think a professor would care to recruit a med student when everything occurs thru the match anyways, and a student is influenced by many different factors when it comes to specialty selection.

I didn't think he was trying to recruit me, I just thought he was trolling the class to try to wake people up at 9 am.

I didn't think he was trying to recruit me, I just thought he was trolling the class to try to wake people up at 9 am.
I don't know what's worse, that you thought your professor would try to troll you and tell you the opposite of what's true re: medical information or that your class is sleepy at freakin' 9 AM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.