SGU residency match 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I forgot I am talking to a top tier DO student I am on my knees right about now.

I'm sure you'll be pleased to know I'm not even applying to an osteopathic school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you but our government allows it. I wish they would close down all carib schools except the top 4

That would be a start but even those also are associated with a very negative stigma.

Too bad we can't be a world that doesn't run on tha dough :D

How has this thread not been locked down yet? I mean it is hilarious and ridiculous, but come on.

How has this thread not been locked down yet? I mean it is hilarious and ridiculous, but come on.

Thats whats I'm saying. However, we haven't had an interesting thread in awhile so....commence!

That would be a start but even those also are associated with a very negative stigma.
Like I said earlier SGU is a well respected school up hear in NYC where I will attend my residency.

Just curious what was your major and if you don't mind your mcat and gpa score.

Nope. Got a BSc in Psych a while ago and am doing a second degree presently. Also, my current stats suck (3.2 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA no MCAT).

Why don't you go watch your star wars DVD You geek...
gif-star-wars-gangnam-style-han-solo.gif

Yep. I hear they're quite special and are getting a special medical education.

A medical special education if you will.

Haha

Nope. Got a BSc in Psych a while ago and am doing a second degree presently. Also, my current stats suck (3.2 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA no MCAT).
Well before you criticize someone why don't you first graduate get into a medical school then come back when your grown up and then we can talk some more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well before you criticize someone why don't you first graduate get into a medical school then come back when your grown up and then we can talk some more.

By medical school, do you mean the real kind...like the top tier Carib kind?

Let he who has not partaken in predatory capitalism cast the first stone I suppose.

I know some awesome docs who are Carib graduates. I even have a cousin who just finished up at Ross, and matched this week.

That being said, even my cousin tells me that going to Carib isn't the best idea. He cautioned me against going to Carib because of all the uncertainty in the future. Match will become more and more difficult and IMGs are going to be squeezed out. It is not impossible to match, but each year it will be tougher and tougher.

At this point in time it is wiser to go DO instead of top tier Caribbean.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

You should probably go the DO route first then as a last resort the big 3

I've already applied to US schools this cycle with no luck and will reapply next cycle. If I still do not get accepted in the US, I will start fall of 2014 at a big 3. Do you guys think it is still okay to attend one of the big 3 starting fall of 2014? I'm really starting to worry about matching in 2018

/Thread

Last edited:
I stopped reading at "top tier Caribbean".

It's like a sad oxymoron.

Why is there an SGU residency match 2013 thread in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum?

you're toasting in a roll bread, that's why

also, I would have to say that SGU =/= UMHS St. Kitts and TCOM =/= WCUCOM so while the whole tiering game doesn't necessarily work, there are some legitimate reasons to differentiate.

Had to quote then copy paste link to see pic. Thanks for the virus, now posting from microwave.

Had to quote then copy paste link to see pic. Thanks for the virus, now posting from microwave.

is this to me?? I just checked it and reposted it and it looks fine to me:shrug:

by the way, does anybody else's sdn skin look weird? mine is not showing any of the normal borders.

Because even a low tier USMD Program will require you to have at least a 3.7-3.8 with a 31-33 MCAT. Why would a higher tier DO School retain specialty positions over them. I agree you will match at a higher rate but I don't believe the specialty positions will come as easy as you state unless you have the required numbers to achieve them. the same hold true from the school I attend SGU.

After looking at the MSAR, USNEWS and some school websites, the bottom tier MD schools averages are 3.55-3.7 and 28-31. You don't need at least a 31 and a 3.7. And generally they will receive precedence over osteo grads all things being equal in ACGME matching, but the AOA has a good number of specialty slots that are only for osteo students. When you factor this in it gives solid osteo students a good opportunity to match into almost any specialty with some limitations to program choice (as I originally stated).

After looking at the MSAR, USNEWS and some school websites, the bottom tier MD schools averages are 3.55-3.7 and 28-31. You don't need at least a 31 and a 3.7. And generally they will receive precedence over osteo grads all things being equal in ACGME matching, but the AOA has a good number of specialty slots that are only for osteo students. When you factor this in it gives solid osteo students a good opportunity to match into almost any specialty with some limitations to program choice (as I originally stated).
The only people getting into a USMD Program with those numbers are the minority...

[sic] swashbuckle and hogwash! sgu is teir one11!!! [sic]

Well, well, well Mr. laricb. Still trying to pull your bottom feeder ValueMD antics here on SDN? Time for your formal outing:

Here on SDN in October you posted this:

I graduated from SGU 2 yrs ago and I am a resident aesthesiologist at NYU. So dont discourage people from fulfilling there dreams

Yet, in September you posted that you were applying to DO schools here:

Submitted: 08/22 Transcripts Received: 08/24 Verified: 9/28 Released: -/- - laricb

Now, yesterday you state this:

Like I said earlier SGU is a well respected school up hear in NYC where I will attend my residency.

So what have you my grammar-challenged, Caribbean-bound friend? Syntax got your tongue, Captain? I suppose you will claim that your daddy's been using your account again. All aboard the failboat, HMS True Blue, with a strong tailwind towards the Grenadines and her corrupted shores! Our bounty today will be a match gas position in NYC, mates! Argghhh!

Signed,

american-smile.jpg

Well, well, well Mr. laricb. Still trying to pull your bottom feeder ValueMD antics here on SDN? Time for your formal outing:

Here on SDN in October you posted this:

Yet, in September you posted that you were applying to DO schools here:

Now, yesterday you state this:

So what have you my grammar-challenged, Caribbean-bound friend? Syntax got your tongue, Captain? I suppose you will claim that your daddy's been using your account again. All aboard the failboat, HMS True Blue, with a strong tailwind towards the Grenadines and her corrupted shores! Our bounty today will be a match gas position in NYC, mates! Argghhh!

Signed,

american-smile.jpg

Nice detective work!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

SGU is not a respected school in NYC. They just signed a nice fat check so that they can push their students into the hospitals around there. I know med students/faculty at a few schools around the area and they say the SGU students are horrible for the most part. There are definitely some good students..but it is slim pickins.

I feel like y'all are gonna rip me for this but if I don't get accepted this cycle into a US school, I've been considering taking a spot at SGU. Seems a waste of my 33 MCAT, but I'd really like to be a physician, and I'm tired of waiting. I guess I'm just willing to take my chances. I'm not arguing either way, so please don't blast me.

The only people getting into a USMD Program with those numbers are the minority...

bullspit

I feel like y'all are gonna rip me for this but if I don't get accepted this cycle into a US school, I've been considering taking a spot at SGU. Seems a waste of my 33 MCAT, but I'd really like to be a physician, and I'm tired of waiting. I guess I'm just willing to take my chances. I'm not arguing either way, so please don't blast me.

USMD or just US school? If you're not getting into DO schools with a 33, something is wrong. U dun goofed, perhaps.

Did you try an SMP yet?

as1212559,
I had one interview to a DO school this cycle. I applied pretty late, and my GPA kind of sucks. Haven't heard back yet.

JeetKuneDo,
I'm in a master's program, not an SMP specifically, at Wayne State. Unfortunately, it's not a one-year program and I started it in January, meaning I'll miss the next cycle completely before I finish it.

Good luck, seriously. $200,000+ is way too big of a financial risk for me to be potentially shut out.

for anything Caribbean-related...refer to the great DocEspana

I thought I smelled troll. :laugh:

I love it when people get caught in lies on here. This stuff is all written in ink.

I empathize.

Something that I feel gets lost in a lot of conversations here is that getting into med school is supposed to be a stepping stone to an end goal and not the end goal in and of itself. If you know the risks, know what to expect and know where everything can lead you all I can say is you're decision is ballsy but I hope it works out for you. :thumbup:

I saw that you applied late this cycle. Do yourself a favor and consider applying Day 1 before packing for SGU. How bad of a GPA are we talking? <3.0?

3.2c/2.9sci. Pretty meh bordering on blech. Hopefully it all works out at the USDO school I did interview at anyways, but I will definitely take your advice if not. Thanks again.

I empathize.

Something that I feel gets lost in a lot of conversations here is that getting into med school is supposed to be a stepping stone to an end goal and not the end goal in and of itself. If you know the risks, know what to expect and know where everything can lead you all I can say is you're decision is ballsy but I hope it works out for you. :thumbup:

Exactly. Thank you.

this makes me queasy to my stomach. Still I do feel much better knowing there is a drafted bI'll in Albany stating that all clinical hospital sites must provide for New York State trained students prior to accepting any students from offshore Universities for clerkship, regardless of any pre-existing financial agreements.

Also this comment below jives with what I've seen from various program directors I've had the pleasure of working with. essentially, they find it has been a mixed bag, with more bad than good coming out of it. Although they are very intrigued by the better ones, obviously.

SGU is not a respected school in NYC. They just signed a nice fat check so that they can push their students into the hospitals around there. I know med students/faculty at a few schools around the area and they say the SGU students are horrible for the most part. There are definitely some good students..but it is slim pickins.

I have had this debate on the forum for years now. At some point I get tired of repeating the same thingS year in and year out. Do your own research and look especially hard at the acceptance numbers and the residency match numbers. Both numbers, since I last checked, are usually available on the website of the school. Ask yourself, where the heck dida couple hundred students go? additionally, hoe do they claim the low attrition rate when clearly the non-graduation rate is many times higher than they suggest? There is a lot of fuzzy math at both SGU and Ross done primarily by using unusual definitions of terms. E.G. dropping out voluntarily because you can't hack it doesn't count as attrition, neither does repeating the same year over and over as you try to be one of the people *allowed* to take the usmle I. Only being formally dismissed counts against them. This fuzzy math applies to many of their stats.

but, I said, I have become tired of having this argument all the time. so let me sum up the Caribbean med schools in 1 nice neat tidy bow. Fact of the matter is that if you go to a Caribbean school you absolutely 100 percent will have less options available to you then if went to a DO school. There is not any area of the country, not even New York, where you will have a better chance than a DO. There are some hospitals that you will have greater exposure at and that is totally predetermined affiliations (affiliations being something every school in the world has with some hospitals) but still an equally matched DO would probably match over you at these places, though you would not be overtaken by anyone less qualified regardless of degree. If you go to the Caribbean school you 100 percent without a doubt have a higher chance of getting an MD. the fact of the matter is that the average stats for the top island schools is around the stats for the bottom of the DO schools.

if you a good candidate for a top island school, then you should be a good candidate for a DO school. But if you can't get into anywhere else, even DO, then these schools serve a purpose. They do get people into residencies. They're not fancy residencies, no one brags about the places and fields matched by these schools. They simply are proud to be a physician. Point blanc, *if you are good enough* they get you into medicine, and that is something that perhaps is not appreciated enough with so many ortho, surgery, rads, EM, etc residencies nabbed by usmd and do.

And really if all you want is to be an MD doctor and you absolutely cannot accept anything but the MD degree. Then they serve a purpose. The question becomes are you willing to gamble you are going to be good enough to make it off. Really these schools are a gamble. They offer you a *chance* to graduate and a somewhat limited set of options once you do, but it is appealing because they dont set much of a threshold for getting in the door. The comfort of knowing you are accepted is the lure into the gamble. are you willing to gamble on your medical education? If so, its a valid risk in some situations. If not, it should be avoided at all costs.

If you go there, PLEASE make sure you understand the risks, not just the potential rewards.

for anything Caribbean-related...refer to the great DocEspana

I love that you are basically the fourth person to have said this on this thread. You guys seem to have handled yourself well. I'm sorry I was busy with my anesthesiology books and miss this until today

Why isn't DocEspana a mod yet???!

I say mean things once in awhile. I try to play nice and be honest about the realities of things... But I also can sometimes tell members to go eat a shoe if they are thick headed, because I get invested in my opinions. Can't have biased, opinionated mods.

I say mean things once in awhile. I try to play nice and be honest about the realities of things... But I also can sometimes tell members to go eat a shoe if they are thick headed, because I get invested in my opinions. Can't have biased, opinionated mods.

My friend at AUC just told me some people didn't match this year. He's telling me its getting harder and harder and harder.

Not gonna lie, to hear him say some people didn't match made my heart sink. We are a community of strong academic workers with high aspirations and it sucks to put countless numbers of hours into something with no return on the investment.

I feel really bad about these people who's probably not in the best shape emotionally after the bad news.

this makes me queasy to my stomach. Still I do feel much better knowing there is a drafted bI'll in Albany stating that all clinical hospital sites must provide for New York State trained students prior to accepting any students from offshore Universities for clerkship, regardless of any pre-existing financial agreements.

Also this comment below jives with what I've seen from various program directors I've had the pleasure of working with. essentially, they find it has been a mixed bag, with more bad than good coming out of it. Although they are very intrigued by the better ones, obviously.

I have had this debate on the forum for years now. At some point I get tired of repeating the same thingS year in and year out. Do your own research and look especially hard at the acceptance numbers and the residency match numbers. Both numbers, since I last checked, are usually available on the website of the school. Ask yourself, where the heck dida couple hundred students go? additionally, hoe do they claim the low attrition rate when clearly the non-graduation rate is many times higher than they suggest? There is a lot of fuzzy math at both SGU and Ross done primarily by using unusual definitions of terms. E.G. dropping out voluntarily because you can't hack it doesn't count as attrition, neither does repeating the same year over and over as you try to be one of the people *allowed* to take the usmle I. Only being formally dismissed counts against them. This fuzzy math applies to many of their stats.

but, I said, I have become tired of having this argument all the time. so let me sum up the Caribbean med schools in 1 nice neat tidy bow. Fact of the matter is that if you go to a Caribbean school you absolutely 100 percent will have less options available to you then if went to a DO school. There is not any area of the country, not even New York, where you will have a better chance than a DO. There are some hospitals that you will have greater exposure at and that is totally predetermined affiliations (affiliations being something every school in the world has with some hospitals) but still an equally matched DO would probably match over you at these places, though you would not be overtaken by anyone less qualified regardless of degree. If you go to the Caribbean school you 100 percent without a doubt have a higher chance of getting an MD. the fact of the matter is that the average stats for the top island schools is around the stats for the bottom of the DO schools.

if you a good candidate for a top island school, then you should be a good candidate for a DO school. But if you can't get into anywhere else, even DO, then these schools serve a purpose. They do get people into residencies. They're not fancy residencies, no one brags about the places and fields matched by these schools. They simply are proud to be a physician. Point blanc, *if you are good enough* they get you into medicine, and that is something that perhaps is not appreciated enough with so many ortho, surgery, rads, EM, etc residencies nabbed by usmd and do.

And really if all you want is to be an MD doctor and you absolutely cannot accept anything but the MD degree. Then they serve a purpose. The question becomes are you willing to gamble you are going to be good enough to make it off. Really these schools are a gamble. They offer you a *chance* to graduate and a somewhat limited set of options once you do, but it is appealing because they dont set much of a threshold for getting in the door. The comfort of knowing you are accepted is the lure into the gamble. are you willing to gamble on your medical education? If so, its a valid risk in some situations. If not, it should be avoided at all costs.

If you go there, PLEASE make sure you understand the risks, not just the potential rewards.

So Question:

If say I couldn't get into a DO school, but got into a Caribbean school, could I get into a residency in the United States SOMEWHERE? Like just family med in North Dakota? Assuming I did not fail out and passed the USMLE? Or is the residency crunch as bad as everyone on SDN is making it out to be?

So Question:

If say I couldn't get into a DO school, but got into a Caribbean school, could I get into a residency in the United States SOMEWHERE? Like just family med in North Dakota? Assuming I did not fail out and passed the USMLE? Or is the residency crunch as bad as everyone on SDN is making it out to be?

Can't say about the future, but I know a few carib ppl who matched FM in Wisconsin and north Dakota. Both of these ppl went to Windsor and I believe can't practice in many States, but are at least able to practice. I have no clue how well they did on step, but they did pass on their first tries.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.