SGU residency match 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2013 the Acgme match rate was 75% for DOs and 53% for USIMGs. Please don't go to a carribean school over a DO school.

Being a DO is a disadvantage, but it isn't as bad as SDN makes it seems. If you take the usmle and do about average (224) you'll be fine and you'll likely match at a solid university program, if that's what you want.
The numbers are much higher up north were I am from NYC. US IMG match at a higher rate

Members don't see this ad.

Listen the way things are now going to an offshore school is a bad idea. I was involved in the process this year. As much as it sucks, all MD's and DO's were ranked above all FMG's regardless of scores. As a DO, that bothers me. People should be ranked on qualifications but people should be concerned if they need to go o an offshore school.

laricb, may god have mercy on your soul. don't hate on us. DO's don't run the ACGME, if anything, blame USMDs

although it seems bad that DO's match at only 75% in ACGME residencies, don't forget there is the AOA match too
Listen I don't ate on anyone. I hope we all match someday. But if someone choices the offshore route over US for whatever reason and does well then he shouldn't be looked down upon as if he is screwing it for everyone OR he took an easier path to make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Listen I don't ate on anyone. I hope we all match someday. But if someone choices the offshore route over US for whatever reason and does well then he shouldn't be looked down upon as if he is screwing it for everyone OR he took an easier path to make it.

it's unfair, i know, but nothing we can do about it.

The numbers are much higher up north were I am from NYC. US IMG match at a higher rate

Sadly, that also means having to do residency there. There are the great programs, and the ones that teach residents scutwork D:

it's unfair, i know, but nothing we can do about it.

75% may seem bad, but most DOs do not take the usmle and those that do take the exam do not do very well on it. It's not like those 25% that failed to match were amazing applicants and they still failed to match Acgme family medicine. The people in my class that matched Acgme radiology, opthamology, anesthesia, etc. were not superstars or anything. They just did about average on the usmle for their speciality of choice. DOs, in general, just do not score well enough to be competitive.

Last edited:
Sadly, that also means having to do residency there. There are the great programs, and the ones that teach residents scutwork D:
Whatever, but that was one of the reasons I choose SGU. As long as my objective is met to be a doctor someday.

With offshore schools the rate limiting step has changed from acceptance to med school to the match.

Almost anyone with a valid MCAT score and a diploma can get into some Caribbean school, but getting into one of the better ones (SGU, Ross etc.) is similar in stats to a low tier osteopathic program. However, it is still generally easier to get into a better Carib school because most of the low tier osteo programs have lower stats due to regional bias and selectivity for their mission.

The middle to upper tier osteo programs are significantly more difficult to get into as they have 3.5-3.7 and 26-29 averages with mission and fit selectivity as well. They also match at 90+% and have a lot of opportunity match into almost any specialty (some limitations on program) with a solid showing in grades, rotations, and boards. This is clearly not the case for Carib school grads (other than the ~1% of anecdotal cases).

Regardless, I wish you the best and hope you are able to match :luck:

It is true that NYC is more USIMG friendly than DO friendly, but that is one of the few, if only, cities in the US that's like that. You can always move back to NYC after residency as a DO. You should really reconsider going to the Caribbean.

I have classmates that failed boards once, some even twice, and they all ended up matching something. If you go to the Caribbean and fail the usmle, you're done and you'll be stuck with a $200k debt.

With offshore schools the rate limiting step has changed from acceptance to med school to the match.

Almost anyone with a valid MCAT score and a diploma can get into some Caribbean school, but getting into one of the better ones (SGU, Ross etc.) is similar in stats to a low tier osteopathic program. However, it is still generally easier to get into a better Carib school because most of the low tier osteo programs have lower stats due to regional bias and selectivity for their mission.

The middle to upper tier osteo programs are significantly more difficult to get into as they have 3.5-3.7 and 26-29 averages with mission and fit selectivity as well. They also match at 90+% and have a lot of opportunity match into almost any specialty (some limitations on program) with a solid showing in grades, rotations, and boards. This is clearly not the case for Carib school grads (other than the ~1% of anecdotal cases).

Regardless, I wish you the best and hope you are able to match :luck:
I'm sure the USMD student's won't agree with your assessment. Good luck in your medical future.

if your dumb enough to go IMG

then go IMG and have no job in the end

end of discussion

you are a class A ***** if you believe half of SGUs stats

its is all tailored to look favorable and have you pay 70K in tuition

if your dumb enough to go IMG

then go IMG and have no job in the end

end of discussion

you are a class A ***** if you believe half of SGUs stats

its is all tailored to look favorable and have you pay 70K in tuition
No instead I should listen to you

Members don't see this ad :)
He's a pro-caribbean nut job. Instead of being proud he beat all the odds from coming from such a horrid place, he needs to delude himself into pretending it's candy-land from far away and that the caribbean students will thrive.

My uncle has a friend (A cardiologist) who's daughter is at Saba or ross or one of the big schools. The cardiologist actually was a foreign medical graduate, so he pushed his daughter to go to Caribbean over DO. She did not get into a US MD school.

I guess point is if they are good enough for the children of doctors to go to, Than the Caribbean must be doing something right. Just like the DO vs MD thing is blown out of proportion on SDN, the Caribbean doom and gloom is too.

I guess point is if they are good enough for the children of doctors to go to, Than the Caribbean must be doing something right. Just like the DO vs MD thing is blown out of proportion on SDN, the Caribbean doom and gloom is too.

I'm sure the hundreds of unemployed and heavily indebted physicians who came from these schools don't share the sentiment.

You *could* go. You *could* do well. You *could* even do any specialty you wanted. But it's also very likely you *could* not do well enough, not match and still have 200k+ in loans hanging over your head. True you could winde up not matching at an allo or osteo school but the odds of that happening are considerably smaller. Ignore that at your own peril.

I'm sure the hundreds of unemployed and heavily indebted physicians who came from these schools don't share the sentiment.

You *could* go. You *could* do well. You *could* even do any specialty you wanted. But it's also very likely you *could* not do well enough, not match and still have 200k+ in loans hanging over your head. True you could winde up not matching at an allo or osteo school but the odds of that happening are considerably smaller. Ignore that at your own peril.

If going to the Caribbean is such a fatal mistake for all of these recent undergraduates to make, then why are they still going?

My uncle has a friend (A cardiologist) who's daughter is at Saba or ross or one of the big schools. The cardiologist actually was a foreign medical graduate, so he pushed his daughter to go to Caribbean over DO. She did not get into a US MD school.

First of all, good for the caribs who get matched. I am genuinely happy for them and I'm sure they make great doctors.
However, the thing is, number talks. a 50% match rate is quite low, especially having to invest $200000 or more, while at the mean time, more than 90% of DO students match. This should seem like a no brainer to choose DO for anybody

Because even a low tier USMD Program will require you to have at least a 3.7-3.8 with a 31-33 MCAT. Why would a higher tier DO School retain specialty positions over them. I agree you will match at a higher rate but I don't believe the specialty positions will come as easy as you state unless you have the required numbers to achieve them. the same hold true from the school I attend SGU.

He's a pro-caribbean nut job. Instead of being proud he beat all the odds from coming from such a horrid place, he needs to delude himself into pretending it's candy-land from far away and that the caribbean students will thrive.
Bud I was trying to have an adult exchange, stop acting like your still in high school.

Because even a low tier USMD Program will require you to have at least a 3.7-3.8 with a 31-33 MCAT. Why would a higher tier DO School retain specialty positions over them. I agree you will match at a higher rate but I don't believe the specialty positions will come as easy as you state unless you have the required numbers to achieve them. the same hold true from the school I attend SGU.

hey laricb,

I recommend this thread, go hang out there instead of here. you will meet many like minded people, unlike on sdn.

http://www.usmleforum.com/files/forum/2013/4/723852.php

have fun

If going to the Caribbean is such a fatal mistake for all of these recent undergraduates to make, then why are they still going?

There are many, many answers to that question.

The answers could range from ignorance to an inflated ego to a burning desire to try a high risk, possibly high yield and potentially damning route to end up at your desired career.

You'll note I didn't say that the potential rewards aren't there. Just highlighting the very real consequences which only a fool would ignore.

I had more respect for your opinion but in the end you're just like all the other Jealous, feel threatened DO Students by TOP TIER Carib students...

why should we feel threatened any more than carib students do?

I had more respect for your opinion but in the end you're just like all the other Jealous, feel threatened DO Students by TOP TIER Carib students...

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit bro. Say what you're really feeling.

Just like the DO vs MD thing is blown out of proportion on SDN, the Caribbean doom and gloom is too.

i agree. there's no need for different camps to bash each other. overall MD>DO>Caribbean in terms of matriculant stats. however, there's a lot variance in the data, and not everyone at DO/Caribbean has low stats. it is still possible to make it at SGU, esp. for matching into the NYC hospitals its rotations are located at, but it's certainly riskier than going to an established DO school. if someone works hard at SGU and lands a competitive residency spot, i'd have nothing but respect for him/her.

why should we feel threatened any more than carib students do?
Because you guys (DO) think you should be in the same conversation with USMD students and carib MD Student shouldn't. But you know the real carib schools (SGU,ROSS) match just as well as the top tier DO schools....

troll.gif

Relax man. No one feels threatened. Students in DO school know their place. The hierachy is MD > DO > Carib. But yes you are right, in the end it"s what YOU make out of it. DOs will agree it's an uphill climb as a DO because of the bias. Unfortunately it's more for Carib students. We know bias exists as a DO jn some places. But there's also very heavy bias as a Carib student. It's just the truth. I'm sorry.

Relax man. No one feels threatened. Students in DO school know their place. The hierachy is MD > DO > Carib. But yes you are right, in the end it"s what YOU make out of it. DOs will agree it's an uphill climb as a DO because of the bias. Unfortunately it's more for Carib students. We know bias exists as a DO jn some places. But there's also very heavy bias as a Carib student. It's just the truth. I'm sorry.
You don't have to be sorry, apparently a few of you (DO) don't understand there place....

the real carib schools (SGU,ROSS)

i think SGU is one of its kind, with lower attrition (10% is what i hear), better rotation and similar GPA/MCAT to a DO school. but the other caribbean schools, esp. Ross...i read that its attrition rate is about 1/3!

i think SGU is one of its kind, with lower attrition (10% is what i hear), better rotation and similar GPA/MCAT to a DO school. but the other caribbean schools, esp. Ross...i read that its attrition rate is about 1/3!
Yes because they give many more students who shouldn't be in medical school a shot, I guess for the money. But in the end those kids get weeded out and you end up with a good graduating class.

You don't have to be sorry, apparently a few of you (DO) don't understand there place....

Well in the end we all eat, ****, pay taxes, and die lol. Some roads are tougher than others to become a doctor. Some have more hurdles and people can't overcome them. The realities are what they are. I'm sure many Carib students will be wary of a pending crunch and will work twice as hard. That's what I plan on doing. Like I said, in the end it solely depends on the person's ability to pass those hurdles ahead of them which were placed solely due to type of school they went to.

Yes because they give many more students who shouldn't be in medical school a shot, I guess for the money. But in the end those kids get weeded out and you end up with a good graduating class.

Yep. Just take some poor sap's money and leave them high and dry. Exactly what people have been accusing the Caribbean schools of.

Well in the end we all eat, ****, pay taxes, and die lol. Some roads are tougher than others to become a doctor. Some have more hurdles and people can't overcome them. The realities are what they are. I'm sure many Carib students will be wary of a pending crunch and will work twice as hard. That's what I plan on doing. Like I said, in the end it solely depends on the person's ability to pass those hurdles ahead of them which were placed solely due to type of school they went to.
Well said. That was all I was trying to say. Good luck with your Medical future,

Why is there an SGU residency match 2013 thread in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum?

Yep. Just take some poor saps money and leave them high and dry. Exactly what people have been accusing the Caribbean schools of.
And that is the problem they put all carib schools in the same hat. As for me I was accepted to ROSS, SGU AND SABA. But I went with the best reputation.

That's why people have a very large beef with most Carib schools. People get put in mountains of debt they can't repay. Our gov't doesn't have an unlimitied amount of money. If people take out gigantic loans doing things they have no business doing, it affects everyone. It hurts the integrity of the system.

Why is there an SGU residency match 2013 thread in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum?
I have no idea talk to the guy who started this tread. And don't try and tell me you never visit valuemd

That's why people have a very large beef with most Carib schools. People get put in mountains of debt they can't repay. Our gov't doesn't have an unlimitied amount of money. If people take out gigantic loans doing things they have no business doing, it affects everyone. It hurts the integrity of the system.
I agree with you but our government allows it. I wish they would close down all carib schools except the top 4

And that is the problem they put all carib schools in the same hat. As for me I was accepted to ROSS, SGU AND SABA. But I went with the best reputation.

That really doesn't say much.

Well said. That was all I was trying to say. Good luck with your Medical future,

Thank you, you as well. Yeah it sucks that DOs need a large step 1 USMLE score to match a decent ACGME program when MD students for the most part don't need to work as hard. But Caribs may need an even bigger score than DOs (outside of the few IMG friendly NYC places) to match that same program due to the bias.
It sucks but it's the way of the medical world.

how can someone survive with 400k debt and a premed degree? i think it's immoral to give people false hope and loot their high-interest loan money.

Status
Not open for further replies.