SGU residency match 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Question:

If say I couldn't get into a DO school, but got into a Caribbean school, could I get into a residency in the United States SOMEWHERE? Like just family med in North Dakota? Assuming I did not fail out and passed the USMLE? Or is the residency crunch as bad as everyone on SDN is making it out to be?

Did you see my anecdote earlier in the thread? That could be you. Or you could match FM somewhere on your first try. Nobody really knows and therein lies the gamble; only you can make the call on whether or not the risk is worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

So Question:

If say I couldn't get into a DO school, but got into a Caribbean school, could I get into a residency in the United States SOMEWHERE? Like just family med in North Dakota? Assuming I did not fail out and passed the USMLE? Or is the residency crunch as bad as everyone on SDN is making it out to be?

While we wait for DocEspana to verify, my guess is that is everywhere because there are lots of MD and especially DO schools in the midwest with midwestern students who wish to stay within that region.

people with low 3.0's and 23 mcats seem regularly get in to DO school...if one can't achieve this, they probably will struggle in medical school anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
So Question:

The match rate for caribbean kids is around 50%.

The crunch is coming, but it wasn't too bad this year. If you look at the numbers, however, it looks pretty bad.

PRE-scramble there were about 1000 Acgme residency spots open. 123 acgme family medicine spots open, 33 internal medicine spots, 30 pyschiatry, 16 neurology, 11 Ob/gyn, and 3 emergency medicine. Most of the other spots were internships. So most of the Acgme residency spots fill pre scramble.

8800 applicants failed to match in the Acgme match, 2400 of whom were carribean graduates.

Don't go to a carribean school. If you cannot get into a DO school, there is no way you're going to do well enough on the usmle to succeed.

So Question:

if you excel, you will find a residency somewhere. And it won't neccessarily be FM in north Dakota. That happens. But that's also anecdotal to a minority of cases (likely a
significant minority... but still definitely the minority) But its more likely to be a dinky place in a nicer state. But competition for good spots in every state are high. But there are no shortage of 200-250 bed hospitals with FM or IM programs in any state. Small miracles.

The issue is in the same amount of excellence will get you much farther at a DO school. And a low level of performance still gets you a residency at DO schools, it just gets you debt and regret overseas. I like to describe it as a gamble for that reason. The definition of what is enough success to "excel" will almost certainly rise in the coming years. But for the foreseeable future it will rise degrees of difficulty that are notable and worth discussion, but not to levels that will be prohibitive for a few more years now at the soonest.

If you succeed in the first two years, (and don't screw up the last two) you'll be a resident. End of story barring random tragic bad luck. Those do happen. But I like to treat anecdotes as worst (or best) case scenarios to avoid/imitate. I don't like to use them as actual prognostic markers.

The crunch is coming, but it wasn't too bad this year. If you look at the numbers, however, it looks pretty bad.

PRE-scramble there were about 1000 Acgme residency spots open. 123 acgme family medicine spots open, 33 internal medicine spots, 30 pyschiatry, 16 neurology, 11 Ob/gyn, and 3 emergency medicine. Most of the other spots were internships. So most of the Acgme residency spots fill pre scramble.

8800 applicants failed to match in the Acgme match, 2400 of whom were carribean graduates.

Don't go to a carribean school. If you cannot get into a DO school, there is no way you're going to do well enough on the usmle to succeed.

Just want to clarify that the first number is correct. People often doubt it because the schools cook the numbers in a way that makes it look like 98%. But if you take enrolled people each year and follow them for four years to graduation (including any drop-downs from earlier years, which you have assume equal out the drop-downs from the monitored year) you get only 50% of students ever getting a residency. And not that I *predict * bad things for prelims, but a decent chunk are prelims which are NOT as secure and strong of a career move as the much more competitive one year transitional year spots. Prelims can have nothing to show for it after a year.

I wanna see lcarib vs. DocEspana in a cagefight :naughty:

I feel like y'all are gonna rip me for this but if I don't get accepted this cycle into a US school, I've been considering taking a spot at SGU. Seems a waste of my 33 MCAT, but I'd really like to be a physician, and I'm tired of waiting. I guess I'm just willing to take my chances. I'm not arguing either way, so please don't blast me.
Buddy if you take the advice of these pimple faced not even out of college, then you are already finished. Do you're research don't listen to any of these wonabe MD kids.

Not for SGU they matched at 92% this yr...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, well, well Mr. laricb. Still trying to pull your bottom feeder ValueMD antics here on SDN? Time for your formal outing:

Here on SDN in October you posted this:

Yet, in September you posted that you were applying to DO schools here:

Now, yesterday you state this:

So what have you my grammar-challenged, Caribbean-bound friend? Syntax got your tongue, Captain? I suppose you will claim that your daddy's been using your account again. All aboard the failboat, HMS True Blue, with a strong tailwind towards the Grenadines and her corrupted shores! Our bounty today will be a match gas position in NYC, mates! Argghhh!

Signed,

american-smile.jpg
St. George's University

Skip Module Navigation Links

Personal Information Student Financial Aid

Search Search
RETURN TO MENU | SITE MAP | HELP | EXIT

View Addresses and Phones

Please submit changes to the Office of the Registrar at [email protected] or fax information to 631-665-2047.
Addresses and Phones
Mailing Phones
Current: Mar 12, 2012 - (No end date) Primary: 473-5360461

Staten Island, New York 10307
RICHMOND
USA Permanent:

Skip to top of page
Release: 8.4

Meathead this is all I will show you my personnel registration at saint george I erased my name just in case you try and stork me.

St. George's University

Skip Module Navigation Links

Personal InformationStudentFinancial Aid

Search Search
RETURN TO MENU | SITE MAP | HELP | EXIT

View Addresses and Phones

Please submit changes to the Office of the Registrar at [email protected] or fax information to 631-665-2047.
Addresses and Phones
MailingPhones
Current:Mar 12, 2012 - (No end date)Primary: 473-5360461

Staten Island, New York 10307
RICHMOND
USA Permanent:

Skip to top of page
Release: 8.4

Meathead this is all I will show you my personnel registration at saint george I erased my name just in case you try and stork me.

So are u not a resident anesthesiologist at NYU?

Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S2

How bout adding in the number who started medical school and were either held back a year, kicked out, or dropped out. I guarantee you that the 92% is misleading and not entirely honest.
Listen if you want to try and mislead go right ahead this school has been around for 30 yrs and will be for another 30...

So are u not a resident anesthesiologist at NYU?

Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S2
I have told you and this will be my last time. My father is the anesthesiologist, should I have him come on one night and tutor you...

I have told you and this will be my last time. My father is the anesthesiologist, should I have him come on one night and tutor you...

Oh thanks for that clarification. I would be glad to get some free tutoring. Really appreciate the help there.

It's really inspiring of your father to have pursued medicine at such a late age, considering he just graduated 2 years ago. I have many non trad friends and they would really appreciate any advice on how to overcome age bias.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Listen if you want to try and mislead go right ahead this school has been around for 30 yrs and will be for another 30...

Bahh I don't have the time nor desire to argue with a pre-med who is incapable of listening to current med students who have been through much of the process. Added to ignore.

Oh thanks for that clarification. I would be glad to get some free tutoring. Really appreciate the help there.

It's really inspiring of your father to have pursued medicine at such a late age, considering he just graduated 2 years ago. I have many non trad friends and they would really appreciate any advice on how to overcome age bias.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
Just think he made it at 50 and you won't at I guess 24 a little jealous of him

Bahh I don't have the time nor desire to argue with a pre-med who is incapable of listening to current med students who have been through much of the process. Added to ignore.
I need to change my profile I am now a med student, at least we agree on something Ill ignore you going forward

My cousin is an attending at NYU Langone anesthesia department. I will call him this week and ask if there are any older (i.e. 50-something y/o) residents training at their programme. I suspect you are fibbing all of us.

My cousin is an attending at NYU Langone anesthesia department. I will call him this week and ask if there are any older (i.e. 50-something y/o) residents training at their programme. I suspect you are fibbing all of us.
Thanks that will shut the joker up his first name is nick

my girlfriends aunt is the cardiac anesthesiologist at Bellevue, in case he misspoke and meant NYU Bellevue. Thankfully she talks to her many times a week since she is writing her a LoR right now for her med school app. I figure she would probably know the residents there

my girlfriends aunt is the cardiac anesthesiologist at Bellevue, in case he misspoke and meant NYU Bellevue. Thankfully she talks to her many times a week since she is writing her a LoR right now for her med school app. I figure she would probably know the residents there
He is a PG4 What is her first name Ill have him find her

This data is pretty damning if you ask me.

Also, a note for user 'laricb'. Please consider looking up the correct usage of the words there, their, and they're. It will help you communicate more effectively.

This data is pretty damning if you ask me.

Also, a note for user 'laricb'. Please consider looking up the correct usage of the words there, their, and they're. It will help you communicate more effectively.
Typing to fast, cannot wait to respond to all these messages. I am very popular

Well that's not really nice now is that? Personal shots like that.

I have nothing against Carib grads and in fact have many family members who have gone the Carib route. I NVR once said that Carib grads won't make it. Just that it is an uphill climb.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Would you stork me? I'd stork me. I'd stork me hard.

Well that's not really nice now is that? Personal shots like that.

I have nothing against Carib grads and in fact have many family members who have gone the Carib route. I NVR once said that Carib grads won't make it. Just that it is an uphill climb.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
Bud go back and read your message you said he was an old man for medicine...

He is a PG4 What is her first name Ill have him find her

I would imagine a polish woman anesthesiologist who handles the cardio cases should be enough descriptors to only point to one person, but I can get back to you with a name if you so wish. (I do not know my gfs aunt. Never met her haha. But my gf can always inquire randomly for me if other people can t seem to confirm your stuff.)

Also, still, how does one prove random 50ish year old resident is your father? May or may not be relevant if someone can confirm or rule out this stuff before I even see my gf next.

From SGU webpage ( http://www.sgu.edu/school-of-medicine/sgu-medical-sciences-program.html )

82% of the students who completed the Medical Program between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 graduated on time.

The normal time to complete the Medical Program is between 4 years and 4.5 years depending on the student's matriculation term. For more information click here

Most US Medical schools complete all training in about 3.5 years. This "normal time" could be up to a 1 year delay over the equivalent US training time.

This statistic also only factors in the students who were able to stay in school long enough to graduate. I've heard all source attrition by the start of 3rd year is about 50-60% at SGU. I've rotated with several SGU students and I was shocked at the low caliber students they promoted to year 3. Students were missing basic H&P and physical diagnostic skills as well as a dearth of appropriate 3rd year medical knowledge. I can't speak for the entire program only the SGU individuals I ran across in my clinical training.

My advise - Stay in the USA at all costs. If you attend MD/DO medical school in the states you will be able to train here.

Just my two cents.

I would imagine a polish woman anesthesiologist who handles the cardio cases should be enough descriptors to only point to one person, but I can get back to you with a name if you so wish. (I do not know my gfs aunt. Never met her haha. But my gf can always inquire randomly for me if other people can t seem to confirm your stuff.)

Also, still, how does one prove random 50ish year old resident is your father? May or may not be relevant if someone can confirm or rule out this stuff before I even see my gf next.
How much more do you need his name is nick won't give my last name PG4 and is 50 yrs old get her name and Ill have him look for her...

From SGU webpage ( http://www.sgu.edu/school-of-medicine/sgu-medical-sciences-program.html )

Most US Medical schools complete all training in about 3.5 years. This "normal time" could be up to a 1 year delay over the equivalent US training time.

This statistic also only factors in the students who were able to stay in school long enough to graduate. I've heard all source attrition by the start of 3rd year is about 50-60% at SGU. I've rotated with several SGU students and I was shocked at the low caliber students they promoted to year 3. Students were missing basic H&P and physical diagnostic skills as well as a dearth of appropriate 3rd year medical knowledge. I can't speak for the entire program only the SGU individuals I ran across in my clinical training.

My advise - Stay in the USA at all costs. If you attend MD/DO medical school in the states you will be able to train here.

Just my two cents.
only 50 or 60 % boy I am going to loss a lot of friends in 2 yrs.

How much more do you need his name is nick won't give my last name PG4 and is 50 yrs old get her name and Ill have him look for her...

Is your dad a storker? I mean, if I were DocE I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out her name.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Bud go back and read your message you said he was an old man for medicine...

Umm, no I did not...

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Don't wanna be mean, but lcarib is English your second language?

Sorry DocE :(

Anyway, yes, there are people from SGU who match. If you are able to get through the attrition(which is not as easy as saying you'll try hard...that's what everyone says), kick major butt on Step 1, do rotations where you actually do meaningful clinical learning, and realize you'll be ranked below USMD students(therefore having to apply broadly), you'll go somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.