Sackler 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interviewed in mid march and still waiting for a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Geeze, I guess they r running behind. Have you called? Do they say when the committee is meeting?

Members don't see this ad :)
...not over here. However, I am trying to get information on the google group. Hope everyone is managing who hasn't yet received word. They (people who usually do not have to be patient) say "patience is a virtue," whatever that's worth.

BTW, congratulations to any and all recent graduates from college, masters programs, etc.

thank you! any info would be awesome!

Does anyone have an accurate number of how many people will be in this years class? I have heard from past years 40-60, 60-80...Does a current Sackler have an idea of how big this class will be? thankss

Nobody is going to have an exact target number for this years class. While it has fluctuated in the past the current first year class is 60 students. It will be pretty close to this again, if I had to guess I would say between 55 and 65. They built the first years a new classroom this year and its designed to hold about 65 people max.. this is by no means a guarantee though, just what seems obvious to me.

I have recently been accepted into Sackler for the class of 2014 and am very excited about the program. There is one thing though that makes me concerned, which I hope somebody(s) can shed some light on...

Looking at the match lists for the past few years, I could see that students match into very good residency programs. However, very few actually match into the more demanding, popular residency programs such as derm, ENT, anesthesiology, etc . Have any recent Sackler graduates matched into some of the especially competitive residency U.S. programs or is that simply unheard of coming off as an FMG?? I would love to hear a response from some students that have been at the institution such as 4th year students or alumni. Thanks. S

For some of you who had questions about stats. I had a 3.83 cum gpa 3.86 science gpa with a 27S on the MCATS (I know, I blew it pretty bad) and I got in for Class of 2014. My verbal score was exceptionally low, something I picked up during the interview that Sackler does not pay much attention to. VR SUCKS!!!

For those of you who have gotten in, how do you join the Google Group?? I am lateee.

In the google group it seems that there are 38 members, some of whom are current sackler students. I would guess that 30-35 of the members are future enrollees. I hope that helps some of you who were asking.

Side note, I was wondering what undergrad schools you are all applying from. University of Miami (FL) over here. Go CANES!

Thanks for the update NY2!!! Still sounds like good news for those of us waiting...

hey all, i just joined sdn, and was recently accepted to sackler. im another canadian (weeping over the habs demise), and was wondering if classes run from sun - thurs or mon - fri? some other stats: i applied pretty late to sackler (think mid april) and interviewed may 3, but heard back quite quickly (acceptance was dated may 5). haven't joined google group yet, but about to. i'd appreciate it if any current sacklerees would let me know about class schedule, thanks

Bejerk.. congrats on your acceptance, read back through the forum as a lot of these questions are already answered. Also, join the google group, we have some good threads going in there. For your convenience:

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]The typical class schedule differs from block to block. Classes generally start at 9 and usually end between 1 – 4. Classes take place Sunday – Thursday and there is no class on Friday and Saturday. I can’t tell you specifics about your schedule for next year as I have not seen it but it’s probably safe to assume that there will be fewer classes during Block 1 and the work load will increase in Block 2, 3 and 4. Definintely enjoy the first block as much as you can and party hard. It’s not as easy to do (although we all did it) when there are more classes. .

Anyone know when the next committee meeting is being held?

Have any wait listers heard anything yet? My patience is definitely wearing thin

Members don't see this ad :)
Sagtig, I still have not heard. If anyone who has been accepted either from the wait list, or has heard of ANYONE getting off of it yet, perhaps from the google group, please tell us!!!
To be honest though, knowing the way Marcia seems to work, I highly doubt they will pull people from the waitlist until everyone has been interviewed and I heard of someone that has an interview still next week.
BUT, last I heard, the google group was still under 40 people which means there are at least 15-20 spots to be filled AND as the month of June progresses I am sure some accepted people will get off other waitlists and withdraw. This is a very good thing!

If anyone has any info please let us know!!!!

All I can add is that I called the office yesterday, and asked about my own application (interviewed early May). I was told "it is impossible to say when the decision will be made pertaining to your application - it is still under review" but I didn't ask when the next adcom meeting was going to be held. This application process is really getting to me!

This process is so frustrating... I just got off the phone with Sackler... and they told me that there has been no wait list movement yet, and that people can be taken off the waitlist anytime this Summer, up until classes start- which is September 5th!

Sackler is my first choice, but I cannot afford to wait that long because I have enrolled in a Special Master's Program which begins in mid August :(

I just hope they start taking people off soon

I couldn't agree with you more. I get it though, its in their interest to hold on to as many people as possible, for as long as possible, so that if anyone pulls out the last second, they can still get their $26,000 a year. But it sure is close to the most frustrating thing in the world to not get one bit of info on at least when movement MAY occur.
I do think, and I am of course being optimistic, that movement WILL occur some time in June. I know that they are still interviewing people even this week, so I am sure that they wait to look at EVERYONE and then decide on the wait list.
From what I have gathered, the wait list at Sackler is a relatively new thing (within the past years), and bc of the increased difficulty in getting into US med schools, Sackler is getting more people so they need to hold on to as many as possible, as opposed to accepting most people, so that they are guaranteed a full class.

You know as well as I do that things can change real fast, one second you are going to a Master's Program, the next you are moving to Israel....We just gotta stick it out. Hope to hear good news from all those wait listed SOON!!!!! Hang in there man

Last edited:
Hey Miles, I just wanted to update you on the waitlist...two days ago accepted students received an email about a financial aid meeting in the new york area. In that email there were 75 students who were messaged. I don't know if all of those students were accepted or what (maybe waitlisters got it too), but the numbers may be higher than expected off of the google group. I still think you should keep your head up high though. Best of luck.

I couldn't agree with you more. I get it though, its in their interest to hold on to as many people as possible, for as long as possible, so that if anyone pulls out the last second, they can still get their $26,000 a year. But it sure is close to the most frustrating thing in the world to not get one bit of info on at least when movement MAY occur.
I do think, and I am of course being optimistic, that movement WILL occur some time in June. I know that they are still interviewing people even this week, so I am sure that they wait to look at EVERYONE and then decide on the wait list.
From what I have gathered, the wait list at Sackler is a relatively new thing (within the past years), and bc of the increased difficulty in getting into US med schools, Sackler is getting more people so they need to hold on to as many as possible, as opposed to accepting most people, so that they are guaranteed a full class.

You know as well as I do that things can change real fast, one second you are going to a Master's Program, the next you are moving to Israel....We just gotta stick it out. Hope to hear good news from all those wait listed SOON!!!!! Hang in there man

Thanks for the update! Well 75 accepted doesn't surprise me, bc I'm sure the number that have sent in their deposit is less. You don't get your google group password until you send your deposit right? So i'd think that is a better reflection of how many spots they need. And there are far less than 75 people in the google group, is that correct?
And When is this meeting? Cause maybe they would try to have some wait list movement before then. I called yesterday and they said no movement has occured yet and it's early in the game bc they just stopped interviewing.

Hey md5678, there's no reason to be so negative! Have you ever had to wait for a response from your top choice school for almost a year? Well, for some of us, hope is all that we have left, miles knows that the process is kind of a crapshoot. At this point, it's up to chance and patience, and the google group numbers are at least some kind of indicator. I don't know if you've ever been wait listed to a school you really wanted to go to, but I can tell you it is not fun, and if there is still something out there that helps us pass the time, than why would you try to take that away. Right now, all Miles and fellow wait listers have to rely on is faith... so try to be a little more understanding... especially if you want to be a good doctor someday... how are you gonna appeal to your patients who might not have much of a chance of survival?

i would hardly base your information or hopes of getting in on a google group. you have no idea how many people were accepted that didnt sign up for the group and you have no idea how many people who were accepted signed up for the group then decided not to go to sackler. i would try and find hope from somewhere else and not use these stupid methods to gauge whether or not you will be able to get into medical school. come on now.

i would hardly base your information or hopes of getting in on a google group. you have no idea how many people were accepted that didnt sign up for the group and you have no idea how many people who were accepted signed up for the group then decided not to go to sackler. i would try and find hope from somewhere else and not use these stupid methods to gauge whether or not you will be able to get into medical school. come on now.

you joined SDN just to impart those words of wisdom? Come on now.

Hey md5678, there's no reason to be so negative! Have you ever had to wait for a response from your top choice school for almost a year? Well, for some of us, hope is all that we have left, miles knows that the process is kind of a crapshoot. At this point, it's up to chance and patience, and the google group numbers are at least some kind of indicator. I don't know if you've ever been wait listed to a school you really wanted to go to, but I can tell you it is not fun, and if there is still something out there that helps us pass the time, than why would you try to take that away. Right now, all Miles and fellow wait listers have to rely on is faith... so try to be a little more understanding... especially if you want to be a good doctor someday... how are you gonna appeal to your patients who might not have much of a chance of survival?

amen.

i guess i'll appeal to my patients who dont have a good chance of survival by telling them to check out how many people are in the 'survival' google group and see if there is room for more to join the group

My 2 cents... the Google group is probably a fairly accurate indicator. I'm sure there are some people who haven't joined but in this day and age where social networking is how we communicate I would find it odd to not join a group where people are sharing informationthat pertains to the next 4 years of their life. Ps no need to be a jerk.

i guess i'll appeal to my patients who dont have a good chance of survival by telling them to check out how many people are in the 'survival' google group and see if there is room for more to join the group

Good luck in the future, sounds like you may need it.

"I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug..."

Last edited:
tick-tock, tick-tock...

still waiting, can anyone in the google group let those of us still waiting know how many people are in the group now? Thanks a million

Is it too optimistic to think that they will pull people off of the waitlist in june? I had assumed that at least someone would have heard but maybe not... :(

Hey all, I spoke with Marcia today and she said some decisions were sent via mail on Tuesday of this week so check your mail! I haven't received anything yet but hopefully by tomorrow will know for better or worse...best of luck to all of you!

hey guys,

i got in to sackler right at the beginning of admissions (though there was about a month wait between my interview and my admission) but i do have a lot of knowledge on how waiting lists work because i have tons of friends in admissions. i just wanted to reassure you that though there are plenty of people in the google group, it is essentially meaningless as many of them are themselves on waiting lists at other schools, and if they are accepted, will then be dropping out of sackler, thereby opening a spot for one of you (in fact, several have written into their bios that they are still unsure as to whether they will actually be attending sackler even though they have been admitted). this can happen any time between now and up to 3 weeks into the school year. i know several people who have been accepted to schools as late as the day before classes started.

best of luck.

ps, md5678 youre a jerk. that was totally uncalled for and very unhelpful. why are you out there cruising these forums if all you want to do is discourage people? go find something better to do with your time.

Can you please give us a full explanation of how wait lists work. in your experience with talking to your many friends in admissions is it more complicated than if someone drops out and a spot opens up the next person on the wait list gets in? I've been wondering my whole life about the intricacies of waiting lists and it seems like you could solve all of my questions. thanks in advance!

hey guys,

i got in to sackler right at the beginning of admissions (though there was about a month wait between my interview and my admission) but i do have a lot of knowledge on how waiting lists work because i have tons of friends in admissions. i just wanted to reassure you that though there are plenty of people in the google group, it is essentially meaningless as many of them are themselves on waiting lists at other schools, and if they are accepted, will then be dropping out of sackler, thereby opening a spot for one of you (in fact, several have written into their bios that they are still unsure as to whether they will actually be attending sackler even though they have been admitted). this can happen any time between now and up to 3 weeks into the school year. i know several people who have been accepted to schools as late as the day before classes started.

best of luck.

ps, md5678 youre a jerk. that was totally uncalled for and very unhelpful. why are you out there cruising these forums if all you want to do is discourage people? go find something better to do with your time.

actually it is more complicated than that. someone dropping out of an incoming class does not mean an automatic moving up of the first person on the list; that is purely discretionary.

my post was merely meant as a response to those people wondering about the google group and how the general acceptance process has been moving along for those who have already heard back.

Does anyone know when do they usually start the wait-list, from the previous years.

how does sackler consider multiple mcat administrations. do they take the highest, all, combine highest sections, etc?

Hey Guys, will be withdrawing today from Sackler. It was truly a great school but ultimately a better option came my way, good luck to those of you on the waitlist and hope someone here is able to grab my spot!!!

Thanks DrJ... good luck to you...waiting12- No I haven't heard anything... it sure seems that some people have been withdeawing... so I really don't understand why Sackler isn't accepting anyone from the waitlist... maybe they overaccepted

Does anyone know from previous years when does the waitlist usually moves, its almost august

maybe it's all the people running away from the Technion clogging up the system

So let me get this straight... it is the end of July & NO ONE has heard from Sackler since getting waitlisted? It's a little inconsiderate of them if you ask me... from reading posts from last year... I know that at least one or two people would have heard by this time, is Sackler not taking anyone from the waitlist this year? Seems suspicious since one or two people even posted that they withdrew their aplications... so wouldn't Sackler want to fill up those spots? I'm completely dejected & have resigned myself to a master's program... moving half way across the country in a week

Any updates? August is here, and orientation starts in couple of weeks, is there any hope?

Lol! Just called the office... a guy answered and said that as far as he has heard, there has been no waitlist movement, he said if there is any movement, it will probably be closer to the beginning of September... if anyone hears otherwise let me know... I just hope Sackler realizes that if they don't act on opened spots soon, they might lose people like me who are gonna move on to other options

Not sure why they would not act on open spots... I doubt there is anything available. The only thing i can think when they say closer to september is they are referring to that someone who gets to israel for orientation and then realizes for whatever reason they arent happy.

Lol! Just called the office... a guy answered and said that as far as he has heard, there has been no waitlist movement, he said if there is any movement, it will probably be closer to the beginning of September... if anyone hears otherwise let me know... I just hope Sackler realizes that if they don't act on opened spots soon, they might lose people like me who are gonna move on to other options

they don't keep open spots... all spots are filled at this point... but there is always a chance someone gets off a waitlist at a school that they want to be at more than sackler and then a spot would open up... i know of someone who got in on aug 7th of my year (and he's now starting an anesthesiology residency).. also, b/c of the jewish holidays, i don't believe the school year begins until mid-September, as opposed to the end of august normally.. i imagine you all have backup plans... in the larger scheme of things, taking a year or two off (to get a MPH, doing research and getting published) will not hurt you and only help you in the long run. good luck

Sackler has an interesting way of making their prospective students feel welcomed.

For those of you who haven't heard back, I always say that everything happens for a reason. There are many different paths one can take to become a physician, but if you stick with it good things will come.

Goodluck!

i was accepted today off the wl but i wont take it bc recently accepted to an MD school in the states. hope one of u gets it.