Sackler 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!! Ahh I feel like I'm like the only one who hasn't heard yet!! It's killing me!!! Havnt got the mail yet today though.....

Members don't see this ad.

i didnt send in any extra letters of rec, i just sent an optomistic letter of intent a few days after getting waitlisted. then 2 weeks later i got an acceptance letter...

Were you placed on the waitlist as well bballer?

from what I read on these forums, and from the advice I have received, it seems like a handful of students are granted admission from the waitlist every year, but of course it all depends on how many originally accepted applicants decline their seat...

I'm gonna call the office in the next couple of days, and ask what I can do to get in, but for now, it seems like the best bet would be to write a letter of intent or interest depending on your commitment to going to Sackler if accepted, and send in any updates...

I'm gonna get cracking on my letter now, and I have an additional letter of rec to send, but then I'm just gonna sit back and hope for some long awaited luck to come my way...

I wouldn't mind hearing some advice from past students who got in from the waitlist though

I am new to this board and have done some research through the prior posts in this forum and around the web, however, I have yet to get a good sense of the what the typical criteria (GPA/MCAT) is for students who have been accepted at Sackler...

I just sent in my application today...I have a 3.65 and a 29R with strong EC's...Would this be competitive?

Also, I was wondering if sending in an application now at the beginning of April is considered "late"...

Additionally, I have been accepted to a number of US DO schools and have been put on the waitlist at one US MD school. Do you all feel that the education at Sackler would be superior to a US DO school? I feel that in all likelihood it is head and shoulders above, but I would like to get opinions from those who are more knowlegable than I.

Thank you very much in advance...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am new to this board and have done some research through the prior posts in this forum and around the web, however, I have yet to get a good sense of the what the typical criteria (GPA/MCAT) is for students who have been accepted at Sackler...

I just sent in my application today...I have a 3.65 and a 29R with strong EC's...Would this be competitive?

Also, I was wondering if sending in an application now at the beginning of April is considered "late"...

Additionally, I have been accepted to a number of US DO schools and have been put on the waitlist at one US MD school. Do you all feel that the education at Sackler would be superior to a US DO school? I feel that in all likelihood it is head and shoulders above, but I would like to get opinions from those who are more knowlegable than I.

Thank you very much in advance...

Definitly have a solid chance, might as well apply

I personally would not attend a DO school over most MD schools, especially sackler

Hang in there Miles... I'm sure you'll hear something soon...

jbru, definitely apply... Sackler apparently holds seats open for qualified applicants till June

Sackler does not release their average stats... I also had a 29, and my gpa was significantly lower than yours, and I got waitlisted...

they also take into account your commitment to studying in Israel, and other aspects of your application, so you definitely have a good chance of getting if your ECs are strong as you say...

Wiscobadger, can I pick your mind a bit? Do you remember what you included in your letter of intent, and how long it was? I really want to go to Sackler, and will do everything in my power to get in

Thank you for all who replied to my previous post...

I have submitted my application and am just finalizing having all the other materials (transcripts, LOR's, etc.) sent...

Therein lies my next question. After a completed application, how long did people wait usually before they heard about an interview or rejection?

Jbru-

I got an interview a few days after all parts of my final application was sent in (including LORs,application fees etc)...they seem to be pretty quick about things from what I can tell.

good luck!! :)

no. there were i think 2 you could apply for, that were like 5000$ or less but not everyone was eligible for them. like one was for kids from chicago...but i dont remember seeing the applications for them this year

Does anyone know if there are scholarships through Sackler?

Last edited:
my letter of intent was like 2-3 sentences and i dont remember exactly what i wrote (i started in 2007)...i wrote something along the lines of "would like to stay on the waitlist since sackler is my 1st choice..looking forward to hearing from you" sorry i cant remember the specifics, just know it was short and i didnt send anything with it

Hang in there Miles... I'm sure you'll hear something soon...

jbru, definitely apply... Sackler apparently holds seats open for qualified applicants till June

Sackler does not release their average stats... I also had a 29, and my gpa was significantly lower than yours, and I got waitlisted...

they also take into account your commitment to studying in Israel, and other aspects of your application, so you definitely have a good chance of getting if your ECs are strong as you say...

Wiscobadger, can I pick your mind a bit? Do you remember what you included in your letter of intent, and how long it was? I really want to go to Sackler, and will do everything in my power to get in

anyone heard anything recently? I am going to possibly call tomorrow and ask if the adcom has met yet since passover...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I was recently accepted to Sackler, very excited. I'm Canadian and was wondering if there are any Canadian students currently studying at Sackler who could tell me about their experience and also any info about the possibility of matching for a residency in Canada and/or practicing in Canada later on down the line. Is that possible coming from Sackler?

I'm still waiting on acceptances/rejections from a couple of Canadian schools, but Sackler is very tempting, spent 6 months in Tel Aviv this year and am dying to get back.

Trying to figure out what the prospects of matching in Canada or practicing in Canada are. I want to know if leaving Canada for at least 8 years is a decision that i am making if i decide on sackler.

Thanks for any insight.

Hi all. First time poster. I still have another year before applying to medical school, but sackler is one of my top choices. My question is, does anyone ever go through sackler and than stay in Israel?

Or rather, does anyone graduate sackler, return to their residencies in America and than leave once they complete their residency.

I know most doctors end up living where they complete their residency/fellowship; but I plan on living in Israel as soon as possible but I want to go to American medical school.

well I just called and Marcia said that the adcom meets next on April 25th.

Which is a Sunday and seems odd to me but who knows...

So I guess end of March/Beginning of April is now end of April... :confused:

Hey MFishman,

Just wondering when you heard back from Sackler. Do you mind posting your stats?

From what I've heard most Sackler residents take positions in the NY area. I believe that the next largest contingency is in LA followed by other cities and metro areas throughout the US.

Hi all,
I was recently accepted to Sackler, very excited. I'm Canadian and was wondering if there are any Canadian students currently studying at Sackler who could tell me about their experience and also any info about the possibility of matching for a residency in Canada and/or practicing in Canada later on down the line. Is that possible coming from Sackler?

I'm still waiting on acceptances/rejections from a couple of Canadian schools, but Sackler is very tempting, spent 6 months in Tel Aviv this year and am dying to get back.

Trying to figure out what the prospects of matching in Canada or practicing in Canada are. I want to know if leaving Canada for at least 8 years is a decision that i am making if i decide on sackler.

Thanks for any insight.

Thanks for all the help I have received on this forum, it has been very helpful...

However, I was wondering if someone could please explain how fourth year rotations work in the United States in terms of where students rotate and how these rotations are organized...

Thanks in advance

you have to set up your own away clerkships and you have to do 16 weeks total. you have starting mid july till end of january to do that and step 2 cs and ck

Thanks for all the help I have received on this forum, it has been very helpful...

However, I was wondering if someone could please explain how fourth year rotations work in the United States in terms of where students rotate and how these rotations are organized...

Thanks in advance

Was offered an interview this afternoon, very excited...

Any words of advice regarding the interview?

Jbru- congrats on getting the interview! told ya they work fast!

My interview was really straightforward...

"why do you want to be in medicine?" "what is your best/worst quality?" "what have you done since graduation?"...that kinda thing.

A big part of the interview seemed to be about assessing how I would adapt to living in Israel, so they asked things like have you ever been to Israel, do you have family there, have you ever lived away from home, and would you be able to handle living in a different country...etc.

That's about it...Good luck :)

Jbru- congrats on getting the interview! told ya they work fast!

My interview was really straightforward...

"why do you want to be in medicine?" "what is your best/worst quality?" "what have you done since graduation?"...that kinda thing.

A big part of the interview seemed to be about assessing how I would adapt to living in Israel, so they asked things like have you ever been to Israel, do you have family there, have you ever lived away from home, and would you be able to handle living in a different country...etc.

That's about it...Good luck :)

Thanks so much, I will be going in to interview this upcoming Monday. Are there a group of students or is it just you and your interviewer one-on-one? All of the interviews are conducted by alumni physicians as well right?

Couple of points...

I have been trying to call Sackler for a couple of days now to inquire about my waitlist satus, but I either don't get through... or just get voicemail... I left a message but of course have not heard back...

for my peace of mind, I was wondering can anyone who got an acceptance and decided not to take their seat let me know (pm or on the thread) then again... why would anyone who decides not to go to Sackler still post on this forum right?

On a different, more sane note, should I add Sackler to my list of schools on the Fafsa form? I haven't been accepted, but I want to send in my Fafsa asap in order to have a stab at a good financial aid package... should an applicant add a school to which they weren't yet accepted? Why else would we get an option of adding 10 schools to our application?

jbru, congrats on the interview...
it's just a one on one interview with a Sackler alum

make sure to read previous posts on this thread... def lots of interview feedback here, I myself have provided some impressions

Don't stress over the interview, every interviewer is different, and will therefore ask different things (my only question was why medicine? seriously, no other questions, it was all a pretty much a conversation from there) but the general consensus is, this will be the least stressful interview of your life...

Good luck to all of us who still don't have a decision

Sagtig, I have found that the only way I get in touch with a person is if I call in the early afternoon (11ish)...They also do seem to respond to email, but talking to a person is always better
When I spoke to them on Monday, they said the admissions committee will be meeting next on April 25th. I would assume that all waitlisted apps are discussed at those meetings along with new apps or ones not decided on yet.
And yes, you should add ANY school to which you have the potential of getting accepted to the FAFSA form, b/c if the deadline passes and your school is not on it, you can be in trouble if you get accepted late in the summer.

Jbru, the interview is as chill as can be, dont stress....hey and while you are in the office, if you could place all the apps of SDN people on the top of the pile it would be much appreciated ;) dont worry about not knowing our real names, just guess!

hey guys, did anyone interview in Los Angeles?

Jbru, the interview is as chill as can be, dont stress....hey and while you are in the office, if you could place all the apps of SDN people on the top of the pile it would be much appreciated ;) dont worry about not knowing our real names, just guess![/QUOTE]

Ha, I will see what I can do about moving these apps to the top of the pile...

All of the interviews are conducted by alumni physicians right?

Also, I wanted to gather other people in this forum's opinions regarding IMG status as a potential Sackler student (assuming all goes well at the interview). I understand that US residency programs do have a bias towards IMG students, however, while Sackler is considered an IMG program do its' students enjoy a lower "stigma" than other IMG students (Caribbean, Europe, etc.)? It is my impression that they do because the quality of the education is top-notch. For example, while I am not committed to pursuing any particular field, I was told that if I was to become an IMG I would have virtually no chance of matching to a surgical subspecialty residency program (Ortho, ENT, Optho, etc.). Is this true for the most part? I have seen in years past that a handful of students have been successful but my concern is that looking towards the future can we (current and perhaps future Sackler students) anticipate that this may change? Or, perhaps the the fact that only a handful of students are matching into these fields is reflective of the fact that not many students are interested in these fields (which I find less likely)?

I welcome any and all opinions...Thanks

It appears that the school is still stuck in the middle of feb as far as acceptances are concerned. At this rate the march people will know sometime in May.The deadline of May 15 may nave no value for most of us who are still in limbo.

Got accepted on friday, interview 3/2. I dont think there is much rhyme or reason to the system. Hang in there.

I received a rejection letter today.

Stats: GPA 3.7 MCAT 30Q

I had emailed Marcia quiet a couple of questions asking how Canadian Sackler students deal with VISA issues once they've matched in the US. So just to be on the safe side, don't anybody else do this!

Good Luck to those still waiting

:)

Lev

Lev: Did you get an interview? If so, when/where did you interview? Sorry about the rejection. Have you considered Caribbean schools?

In general: When did people interview? Did you get an acceptance/rejection letter yet? Did anyone who interviewed get rejected?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all! I interviewed on 3/2 and got accepted this past friday, 4/16 (letter dated 4/14). Not exactly sure how they are going through the applications, but I imagine they are going in order of when people were interviewed! good luck to all!

has anyone who's been accepted and sent in a deposit receive any info back from sackler?

I sent mine in around 2 weeks ago...

I sent in my deposit and I emailed them a few days later to make sure they received. This is the email I received in response:

Deposit received. Thanks. We will forwarding FYI packet end April – beginning May.

Meanwhile, orientation begins 8/22, school – 9/5.

Just got into a Top 10 US school (can't turn it down). Sackler would have been great but I guess my spot will be going to one of ya'll. Good luck to the person who gets my spot!

still waiting to hear...this is driving me crazy.
Anyone have any recent info on when the adcom is meeting next?

Does anyone know if there is an orientation in the US, and if so when????

First year Sackler here, going to try and answer some more of your questions.

MFishman - > Our freshman class of about 60 students has around 9 Canadian students. Our curriculum coordinator that pretty much directly oversees everything that goes on 1st and 2nd years is a family physician from Canada and attended McMaster. I have heard they are in the process of working out the specific details for Canadians that want to return to Canada. As of now I am pretty sure almost all the Canadians do residency in the States. If you want to talk to a current Canadian student that is knowledgable on the topic, shoot me an email brad.goldbergATgmail.com (AT = @) and I will put you in touch.

GHN - > You pretty much have to return to the US for residency. You would not be eligible to go into an Israeli residency after completing the Sackler program. If you wanted to come back to Israel after residency I am sure it is possible but I do not know the details. I can look into if anyone has heard of an alumni that has done that.

jbru3423 - > As a graduate of Sackler you are an IMG, but not all IMG's are created equal. Because of the programs special relation to New York state we do very well with residency match. I would say we are held in higher regard than Caribbean schools. We consist of classes of 60 or so students and receive top notch training during the clinical years. We are not like some other IMG programs that are churning out a few hundred graduates a year. The class of 2010 recently had match night and they did very as well as previous years. In regards to your question if this will change.. probably not significantly. US Medical schools are increasing their capacities over the next years in order to meet the doctor demand, it is possible residencies for IMG's might become more difficult, I think the jury is still out on this one though. If you are looking for a super competitive residency you need to destroy the boards and do well in your clinical years. If you are dead set on a super competitive residency and have a US option of school the decision is difficult. If you put in the work it can be done here.

maureent - > The reason you haven't received the welcome packets is we are still putting them together for you. Were making sure they contain the most up-to-date and accurate/useful information before mailing. You should have them soon.

nymdguy - > There is no official orientation in the US. You will be asked to attend a financial aid meeting most likely. If you do not live in NY or cannot make it, no problem, you can just talk to Ira (financial aid guy) on the phone about what you need to do. There will probably be an optional meet and greet in NYC for new students to ask questions of current students and maybe some partying to follow. Your official orientation starts when you get to Israel, it was very well done this year. I did not go to any of the US events and was fine.

Important: If you have a Israeli passport in addition to a US passport and have any questions about the army/not being drafted email first year student Dan who can give you advice and help you out. [email protected] .

Good luck all.

As a soon to be graduating 4th year I just have a few things to add to the previous posters answers.

You do not have to return to the US for residency. My class has several students who are staying in Israel. You are required to take a test here and then you must do the israeli intern year (Staj).

As far as IMG status, it is true we match well, and NY knows us which is good if that is where you want to be. (good luck with sinai, cornell, columbia, nyu) - they rarely accept sacklers.

As far as super competitive residency goes, I completely disagree with the poster before me. If you got into an american school, and are certain of wanting a competitive field, you would be nuts to come to sackler. Regardless of how awesome my class did with the match you have to consider things that are not just board scores. It is my opinion that if you are dead set on a competitive field from the get go that you should reapply to US schools if need be. We had 4 people go for orthopedics and 1 get it, and they were all extremely competitive. It is no secret that the one who matched has a huge connection where he matched.

So just saying "if you put in the work" it can be done... its not enough. Everything has to fall right, the stars must align. Plenty of programs see IMG, Sackler, doesnt matter, and they wont think twice.

Personally I am very happy with my match and happy I came to Sackler. I just dont like all the sackler hype, because it just isn't accurate. Coming to sackler has to be a well thought out decision in life.

Thank you guys for your posts, very helpful...I wanted to ask more specifically what the general opinion was on people getting good general surgery spots after Sackler (not prelim). I understand that the IMG status will make anything more difficult, but is gen surgery have the level of competitiveness that very very good boards can put a Sackler in contention for? Would spots at top hospitals be possible? Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

Upon re-reading my post I am not happy with my wording and I think I may have been misleading in regards to competitive residencies. Maji makes good points and has much more experience in this area than me.

Thank you guys for your posts, very helpful...I wanted to ask more specifically what the general opinion was on people getting good general surgery spots after Sackler (not prelim). I understand that the IMG status will make anything more difficult, but is gen surgery have the level of competitiveness that very very good boards can put a Sackler in contention for? Would spots at top hospitals be possible? Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

General surgery categorical is VERY competitive to get as an IMG, even from Sackler. Usually not that many apply (3 this past year) from Sackler, and only one matched into categorical gen. surg. The one that matched was able to score extremely high (scores that some of you probably wouldn't think were possible) and he didn't even get any of the top places he interviewed it. That being said, the year before, someone matched into Gen. Surg at UofChicago, which is incredible. Unfortunately, she has since transferred into another specialty, so that connection is gone. Is it possible to get gen. surgery from Sackler-- of course it is. But is it a slam-duck guarantee as it would be from a US MD school-- no, it's not

Hey guys, I just got the acceptance letter on Saturday 4/24. I interviews on 3/30. I am really excited!! I understand some people were asking what we applied with, here it is: 31Q and 3.5cum GPA. Anyone else going to Sackler?!?!?

-Max
University of Miami (FL) c/o '10

P.S. Best of luck to everyone during this GRUELING (understatement of the year) process!!

Also, just curious where did everyone go to undergrad? Feel free to PM me also is you wanna just share some info because Sackler is 1 of my top 2 choices, and I applied to 12 US MD schools.

I know it's probably too early for that, but has anyone who was waitlisted heard back yet? I'm still waiting, and I have a feeling I'll be doing it for quite a while...

froggy, miles, any good news yet?

Sagtig,
still nothing :(. Really wierd. But when I spoke to the office 2 weeks ago they said that the adcom is meeting April 25 (yesterday). I don't really get it bc it seems others have heard last week but I'm holding out that By the end of the week I have good news in my mail. If I don't hear anything by Thursday I will call again...

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone knows what the likelihood oh matching for residencies in neurology or psychiatry. I am under the impression that psychiatry is not particularly competitive and should be doable coming from sackler. What about neurology? Is it terribly competitive? Does anyone know some stats of sackler grads matching in this field?
Thanks.
Mike

I called their office this morning to find out about any decisions and they said that they will be meeting later this week and also next week, so who knows?

Mfishman, I'm interested in Neurology myself...

as far as I know, it's a semi competitive residency, so definitely not as competitive as the ROADs, but harder to get into than OBGYN, IM, etc...

as far as I've seen from Sackler's past match lists, 1 or 2 students match every year, so it's doable...

Once I think I even saw a Neuroradiology match from Sackler, pretty impressive stuff