Sackler 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might seem slightly random, but does anyone know how many non-Jewish students get into Sackler? I had an uncanny feeling that I might be in the minority applying (especially when my interviewer asked if I had connections to the school or Israel and I had to say no).

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about how long the letters take to get to the Midwest, but I live in Brooklyn, and interviewed early this month, and haven't received a decision yet... my guess is that the committee is probably sending letters out in batches, not necessarily all at once, if I don't hear anything by the end of the first week of April though, you bet I'll be calling the office,

GL, I'm so excited to hear back as well

Hey all so this is actually my first post on SDN, i have been a frequent onlooker for many months now and now that I am so on the edge of my seat I had to join. I interviewed in Feb and I am beyond excited for Sackler. So far, have the only acceptance letters received been to the east coast? I live in the midwest and I am eagerly waiting a letter...I hope its on its way!!! Hope to join you guys in tel aviv in the fall!!

From my experience and that of my class, the acceptances seem to come in waves as the become available. Do not give up hope if you see a ton of people posting on the forums about getting in. From what I understand they have been known to extend acceptances (although fewer) through the summer. This by no means is the official policy or anything, just what my class observed.

Members don't see this ad :)
NatrixCaelicola, the majority of the students are Jewish although each class does have its non-Jewish students. That by no means puts you at a disadvantage for acceptance however. I myself, Jewish, had no connection to Israel or the school prior to applying. I had never been to Israel either.

This will have no bearing on your application. I can't seem to remember how I answered that question but I think I said "not really" haha.

I would assume some time this week...I doesnt seem like anything has gone out since last week. Anyone hear anything else??

I'm getting so antsy! My deposit for SGU is due on April 9th, and it's 1000 dollars... Sackler's my number one choice, and I really hope to hear soon... I wonder if they'd be willing to speed up my review if I were to tell them about my situation

just called sackler 5 min ago and was told that the adcom just met..

Ahh did she give any indication of when they will send out letters??

Interviewed on Friday the 19th and just got an acceptance letter today :)

EDIT: And for people wondering about location and all, it was dated March 26 and I am on the west coast.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out I was accepted on Monday. I am really pretty excited about going to school here.

Anyone else going here?

wow... i really hope i get in with you guys. tel aviv would be a tight place to live for med school.

Do the current students reading this have a match list from this year?

Thanks!

Internal Medicine - Lenox hill (ny), St. Lukes, Long Island Jewish, maimonodes, allegheny (pitt), Staten Island, Beth Israel, Einstein Monte
Obgyn - Einstein, Sinai Baltimore, LIJ
Peds-Neuro - UPMC
Surg Prelim - Marmoth ? jersey, Denver, and DC, Northshore LIJ
Neurology - penn state, tulane
Urology - UCLA
Orthopedic Surgery - Einstein Monte
Ophthalmology - Case Western
Anesthesia - UConn
Family Medicine - Uconn
Pediatrics - LIJ, Uconn, Childrens Hospital LA, Mt. Sinai, Einstein Jacobi
Psychiatry - U Colorado, UTHSC San antonio, U hawaii, Mt Sinai, Beth Israel
Pathology - UMass, UWisconsin
Radiology - Long Island (forgot)
General Surgery - Buffalo, UMDNJ
Emergency Medicine - Beaumont michigan, Jefferson in Philly, Mt. Sinai, St Lukes, metropolitan NY, Las Vegas

hey all!

I just received an acceptance letter from Sackler (I live in the midwest, for those of you who wanted to know where letters are being sent).

Question for any current Sackler students... When did you arrive in Israel for your first year? Do classes start July/August?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

:)

If you got accepted can u please post your stats. Thanks!

Anyone from New York who interviewed in Early March or earlier still hasn't heard? Is the order of review random? I think not hearing at this point might be a bad sign :(

i had my interview early february and didn't get an acceptance till mid may. i dont think you should be worried. its only april

and generally 1st years arrive mid august for 2 week orientation and classes usually start 1st week of september. then after about 3-4 weeks you have sukkot and yom kippur break which has been close to 3 weeks long the last 2 years. first 2 months in israel is like one long party with a sprinkle of classes

I interviewed 3/2 Still waiting to hear from the NYC area. They told me the decision would come at the end of the month. Well it's here and no response. I called yesterday and they said that because of passover we should expect responses at the end of April. I think it was a general response because I gave the person my name to check my status and her answer was too quick to have looked anything up. We will see.

Still havnt received anything...interviewed mid feb. Does anyone know when the next adcom meets???? I am so anxious to hear already...Have any rejections gone out yet from what anyone knows? should I be worried that my decision hasnt come yet??

Last edited:
ugh... so sketchy situation...

I just called the office this morning to ask about my status... I gave them my name... then Marcia came on the line and asked for the day of my interview... after some time she gets back and tells me that my letter was mailed on the 31st but "unfortunately, she can't tell me what it says" so, that probably means rejection/waitlist right? From what I gathered, they usually tell students by phone if they are accepted

boo :oops:

no, not really. a girl in my class had the same convo with marcia.

the time of getting an interview vs. getting a letter doesn't have much to do with getting in/rejected. theres people in some classes who got accepted in like june. its also passover right now, and 2 weeks ago was match, so i would be surprised if the school did much of anything right now.

So is there any correlation between when you interview and when they send out a letter?
So far based on this message board it looks like no one has been rejected or wait-listed.

Hopefully this isn't an omen for those of us who have not heard.

I called this afternoon and spoke to a man (marcia didnt answer), and all he said was that the admissions committee is going to meet AFTER passover. This is my guess: they split up the apps into batches (based on some sort of priority) and go through each batch on each meeting. It seems as though last weeks acceptances were the initial LARGE batch and the next will be after passover.

Sagtig, let us know what happens......I really did not think any more letters were going to go out this week bc of Passover but I guess they did....It seems they are very back and forth about what they do when you call so I would not worry....

So... I'll be the first to admit that I was waitlisted...

just got the letter today, as Marcia had told me, it was postmarked March 31st...

the letter asks you to "let them know in writing if you wish to keep your name on the active wait list."

Don't really know what to make of this, I guess I'll remain optimistic and hope for the best. Any current Sacklerites have some input on the chance of admission from wait list?

Good luck to all those still waiting for a decision from Sackler... the wait is definitely a grueling process, hang in there!

I called this afternoon and spoke to a man (marcia didnt answer), and all he said was that the admissions committee is going to meet AFTER passover. This is my guess: they split up the apps into batches (based on some sort of priority) and go through each batch on each meeting. It seems as though last weeks acceptances were the initial LARGE batch and the next will be after passover.

Sagtig, let us know what happens......I really did not think any more letters were going to go out this week bc of Passover but I guess they did....It seems they are very back and forth about what they do when you call so I would not worry....

Interesting Miles. I'm wondering what these "priorities" are.
Does anyone know the make-up of the admissions board?
I guess no word on wait-list/rejections yet..

idk but I remember my interviewer said that two people review his comments...

Im curious if other letters were sent out the 31st, I live in the midwest so a letter wouldnt reach me until tomorrow or monday.

Froggy, do u live on the east coast? And when did u interview?

idk but I remember my interviewer said that two people review his comments...

Im curious if other letters were sent out the 31st, I live in the midwest so a letter wouldnt reach me until tomorrow or monday.

Froggy, do u live on the east coast? And when did u interview?

I do live on the east coast and I interviewed in mid February.
Still haven't heard anything..

Have you heard anything yet?

i was waitlisted and 2 weeks later i went off the waitlist. youre not going to get many stats about sackler from anyone, none of us will know b/c we're not given them..ever

Last edited:
I live in the Midwest and also interviewed mid feb and also havnt
heard anything. I think at this point, it's a good thing bc when I called Friday they just said that they have more apps to review after Passover. I just think for whatever reason, they didn't get to ours yet...so my best guess is that they meet this coming wed, thur, or fri....ahhh I hate waiting!!!

Hey all,

I'm a first year at Sackler, just wanted to offer my help out to anyone out there who has been accepted and carries an Israeli passport/citizenship and doesnt know how the situation with the army will work out. Sackler doesn't really go into much details as far as what you have to do and what the protocol is and I got into some trouble with the army bc of it, so if you have any questions feel free to email, I know the ins and outs of the system (unfortunetly....). email is: [email protected]

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear

A few things from a current first year based on what you all have been posting about...

1. I think your all over-analyzing the admissions process/committee too much. From talking with my classmates and other Sackler students I don't think there are any describable patterns that can be picked up on. Some people are rejected early in the process, some people are wait-listed and can be accepted anytime from now until a few days before class (although more uncommon). Some people might apply late, interview late and get a spot. Basically what I am saying is, don't freak out when you hear other students posting their statuses and from conversations had with the office.

2. This year orientation started August 20 or 21st. The school organized a group flight that left JFK on the 19th of August. You can choose to get your own airfare if you would like however. Most of this time is helping you get set up in Israel... banks, cell phones and most importantly apartments. They take you on apartment tours and it was really well done and organized. Everyone found an apartment no problem, some people got here earlier in the summer and were already set up as well. Classes start first week of September. I am sure the dates will be similar this year.

3. For those of you accepted.. we have setup a googlegroup for you where we will be sending out orientation information and email list serve. The information on how to join the group should be mailed out with the acceptance package that you receive after sending in your deposit.

Feel free to ask any questions on here for the time being.

great thanks for ur input...
This year since the holidays are SO early (Rosh Hashana is Sept 9th I believe), do you know if they will still be starting class before then??

Does anyone know if there are scholarships through the school that we can apply for? What all is in the acceptance packet (I just sent in my deposit)?

Thanks!

havnt got the acceptance yet, dont think they send it out till end of april

great thanks for ur input...
This year since the holidays are SO early (Rosh Hashana is Sept 9th I believe), do you know if they will still be starting class before then??

Miles,

As of now they are planning on starting classes before the holidays and the first year class will have orientation for 2 weeks before classes start.

Does anyone know if they will be sending out acceptances in the next few weeks? Or will we find out at the end of April if we haven't heard anything yet?

They said they will b meeting after Passover. So I assume they will meet the end of this week so there definately could b letters received by next week.

They said they will b meeting after Passover. So I assume they will meet the end of this week so there definately could b letters received by next week.

Does any first year at Sackler know the difficulty of getting off of the waitlist? Do people usually find out summertime or earlier? Thanks.

Were you placed on the waitlist as well bballer?

from what I read on these forums, and from the advice I have received, it seems like a handful of students are granted admission from the waitlist every year, but of course it all depends on how many originally accepted applicants decline their seat...

I'm gonna call the office in the next couple of days, and ask what I can do to get in, but for now, it seems like the best bet would be to write a letter of intent or interest depending on your commitment to going to Sackler if accepted, and send in any updates...

I'm gonna get cracking on my letter now, and I have an additional letter of rec to send, but then I'm just gonna sit back and hope for some long awaited luck to come my way...

I wouldn't mind hearing some advice from past students who got in from the waitlist though

Does any first year at Sackler know the difficulty of getting off of the waitlist? Do people usually find out summertime or earlier? Thanks.

accepted!!!!! Interviewed 2/18, letter was dated 3/31.

Were you placed on the waitlist as well bballer?

from what I read on these forums, and from the advice I have received, it seems like a handful of students are granted admission from the waitlist every year, but of course it all depends on how many originally accepted applicants decline their seat...

I'm gonna call the office in the next couple of days, and ask what I can do to get in, but for now, it seems like the best bet would be to write a letter of intent or interest depending on your commitment to going to Sackler if accepted, and send in any updates...

I'm gonna get cracking on my letter now, and I have an additional letter of rec to send, but then I'm just gonna sit back and hope for some long awaited luck to come my way...

I wouldn't mind hearing some advice from past students who got in from the waitlist though

Yes, I was also waitlisted sagtig.

Accepted! Letter was postmarked March 31. I want to wish everyone luck who has not yet gotten into a school. I hope that all of you get in somewhere. :)