Sackler 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

I called their office this morning to find out about any decisions and they said that they will be meeting later this week and also next week, so who knows?
also just called and they said that they are meeting this week but they have no idea what applications will be discussed when...2 months and counting....

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. Just got the acceptance letter today!!

Hope to see ya'll in Tel AVIV!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called their office this morning to find out about any decisions and they said that they will be meeting later this week and also next week, so who knows?
SML, when did you interview??

Miles, I interviewed in Chicago on 3/19.

Hey guys, can you please reassure me that the stuff on -->http://technionteams.blogspot.com/ isn't the case for Sackler as well. Please I am a little nervous after reading this.
NY2,
I am in no way an expert on programs in Israel or have personal experience at either but I have spent a great deal of time talking to current students and alumni at both Technion and Sackler and there is a lot to say just from what I have heard. I had not seen the website that you posted, but it does not shy far from what I have heard from alumni of Technions program. Without going any more into that, I can only say that you should speak to Sackler alumni and current students. Bc aside from little problems that could happen at any medical school, Sackler students are beyond happy. Seemingly happier than many U.S. med students. They do very well during their 4 years, they do very well on their boards and they match very well. A friend of mine (Sackler alumn) who just finished his IM residency at Miami told me that his program director told him that she considers Sackler's students to come out clinically superior to the lower 1/4th of U.S. medical schools (i.e. top 75%). So all you can do is listen to what people who are there or were there have said, and from what I have heard, people at Sackler would never come close to saying anything like what is on that blog...
...and the fact that Sackler's program has been around for 30ish years says something too...
also, read the pdfs of the deleted threads on the bottom of the page, they r a little more enlightening than the rest of the page...nice plug for sackler in there :)

Last edited:
NY2,
I am in no way an expert on programs in Israel or have personal experience at either but I have spent a great deal of time talking to current students and alumni at both Technion and Sackler and there is a lot to say just from what I have heard. I had not seen the website that you posted, but it does not shy far from what I have heard from alumni of Technions program. Without going any more into that, I can only say that you should speak to Sackler alumni and current students. Bc aside from little problems that could happen at any medical school, Sackler students are beyond happy. Seemingly happier than many U.S. med students. They do very well during their 4 years, they do very well on their boards and they match very well. A friend of mine (Sackler alumn) who just finished his IM residency at Miami told me that his program director told him that she considers Sackler's students to come out clinically superior to the lower 1/4th of U.S. medical schools (i.e. top 75%). So all you can do is listen to what people who are there or were there have said, and from what I have heard, people at Sackler would never come close to saying anything like what is on that blog...
...and the fact that Sackler's program has been around for 30ish years says something too...
also, read the pdfs of the deleted threads on the bottom of the page, they r a little more enlightening than the rest of the page...nice plug for sackler in there :)

Miles,

Thanks a lot, where do I sign? Best of luck, fingers crossed, Miles.

The Teams stuff does not apply at all to sackler. There are always hurdles with foreign schools but sackler is a large program with years of experience. We matched somewhere lke 70-75 people this year in the match. Check out the match list thread if you need convincing.

In regards to that Technion blog post,

I was recently shown that link as well. As a Sackler student with no knowledge of Technion's program, or any friends that attend there, I cannot speak to the validity of what is said.

I can say that my classmates and I do not feel that way at all here at Sackler. The students overall are very happy here and the moral is rather high. I always seem less stressed and miserable than my friends in the states. If you are considering Technion then I recommend talking to students with a more intimate knowledge of the program and then deciding for yourself whether that blog is accurate or not. What I can tell you is the sentiment expressed in the blog is not the feeling we have here.

So...I when I called yesterday (around 230pm) I was told that my application was still under review, and that there was no way to know when they will get to it...
Then, I emailed Marcia last night and received a response this morning saying that the committee mailed out a letter yesterday...(prob wont get to me until tomorrow)

I am just quite nervous bc from past threads it seems that she has not hesitated to say good news over the phone, but for bad news will say anything...BUT then again its very possible that the committee had not given her a response until after I spoke to her...I hope so. AH!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Froggy!

And Miles, it's great that your letter was finally sent, you've been waiting for way too long... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...

don't worry about Marcia not telling you the status of the letter... it seems that she sometimes "bends the rules" and tells people if they got in, but that by no means is the general protocol...

I'd say verrry rarely if ever have people transferred to american schools

American schools usually don't take transfer students, and if they do it's almost always from within the country and most likely due to some extenuating circumstance...

Otherwise it'd be common place for folk to attend carribbean and other IMG schools and then just transfer to american, and that just doesn't happen

Accepted to the Sackler MD class of 2014...Very excited...will have some tough decisions to make...

If anybody has any questions about my stats or what the interview process was like or anything, I would be glad to answer...Please just pm me...

wait list :(...the wait continues

does anyone know if anyone has gotten off of it yet this year?
from past years, when does it start moving?
How are you notified? (snail/email)

thanks!!

wait list :(...the wait continues

does anyone know if anyone has gotten off of it yet this year?
from past years, when does it start moving?
How are you notified? (snail/email)

thanks!!

Sorry to hear that Miles, well at least we still have a shot...
Must be something they have against our undergrad institution :cool:

I called them, and Marcia sounded like she just wanted to get me off the phone... basically said to be patient, and to write a letter letting them know that you want to remain on the waitlist, which I had already done by the time I called...

obviously, I haven't heard back yet, and don't know of anyone who has, but I figure it's a little early for waitlist movement, since the application deadline is May 15th, I'm guessing they are going to start accepting people off the waitlist some time after that... probably sometime in June/July...

keep me posted if you learn anything new, and good luck! I hope that the both of us can still get in... hey, you never know!

Miles - sorry to hear about you being wait-listed. Good luck.

Question about the boards -

Obviously every sackler student takes usmle step one and step 2. are there any other exams for IMG students that sackler student's take?

no there arent.

and if youre calling marcia in the next two weeks i wouldnt be surprised if she tried to get you off the phone. graduation is may 17th. and she comes to israel next week-ish

Miles - sorry to hear about you being wait-listed. Good luck.

Question about the boards -

Obviously every sackler student takes usmle step one and step 2. are there any other exams for IMG students that sackler student's take?

i know there are no official numbers released, but does anyone have an idea of how many people are on the waitlist each year (estimate)?
any idea how many are taken off of the waitlist each year?
I guess the best way to know would be someone who is at Sackler now, how many of the class were accepted off of the waitlist?
Just trying to get a feel for this...
thanks....

i doubt there are stats on that. i dont think anyone even knows how many people apply every year

i know there are no official numbers released, but does anyone have an idea of how many people are on the waitlist each year (estimate)?
any idea how many are taken off of the waitlist each year?
I guess the best way to know would be someone who is at Sackler now, how many of the class were accepted off of the waitlist?
Just trying to get a feel for this...
thanks....

Yea, I agree with Wisco. The classes are hover around 60 or so students and I'm sure it varies year to year who comes off the WL. I know of a a couple kids in my class that said they were on the WL at one point. Your not going to get a more informative answer then that.. sorry, but don't give up hope if this is where you want to be. No worries about writing the office or calling to let them know your still interested, don't get obnoxious about it though.

We have a meeting scheduled with Marcia W on Tuesday so I would imagine she leaves for Israel/Graduation quite soon and will be out of touch for a while.

Good luck.

Sent in my Sackler deposit this afternoon...good times...

Can any current Sackler Students give us an idea as to how the daily class schedule looks like, such as when do classes start to when do they end and any breaks in between.

Those of you who applied in the States and have gotten in - how long after your interview did you find out, and was it via email or snail mail? Thanks.

I heard about a week and a half after my interview via snail mail...

However, I don't think this is the norm for other accepted students. I think my good fortune (in terms of quick turn around) was more a function of the timing of my interview and when the next admissions committee meeting was...

Best of luck...

However, I don't think this is the norm for other accepted students. I think my good fortune (in terms of quick turn around) was more a function of the timing of my interview and when the next admissions committee meeting was...

Best of luck...

Thanks jbru...on that note, does anyone know when the last adcom meeting was, or when the next one is? Thanks again.

Can any current Sackler Students give us an idea as to how the daily class schedule looks like, such as when do classes start to when do they end and any breaks in between.

Last edited:
Any waitlist movement yet anyone?

Haven't heard anything since getting wait listed... It's been about a month and a half now. I haven't really expected to hear anything yet, seeing as how they are still receiving applications, and probably want to go through all their acceptances before picking people off the waitlist. I believe today is Sackler's application deadline, so hopefully there will be some waitlist movement in a couple of weeks. I'm going to call the office sometime mid June if I don't hear anything until then. I was accepted to several Special Master's Programs, and I would be arranging my plans plans there if I weren't still hoping for an acceptance from Sackler.

Congratulations on your acceptances to Sackler.

Last edited:

Best of luck...

Same for my acceptance.

Hello everybody! Congratulations on your acceptances to Sackler. For those of you who are still waiting I really hope you get in.

I have the age old question to ask about MCAT and GPA scores. I have searched but I can not seem to get the information I need anywhere on the internet.

I have a gpa of 3.5 and an mcat of 26 and so I have essentially run out of options for American MD programs. I am interested in BGU and Sackler but for all of my searching I cannot ascertain whether or not these schools are exactly as competitive as American schools or if people with lower stats like mine have a chance. I don't have a lot of money so I don't want to apply to schools that won't even look at me.

Thank you for your time, Good luck in medical school everyone. :)

3.5 cum gpa, 3.3 sci gpa, 31Q MCAT, got into Sackler and not one U.S. med school....

Hello everybody! Congratulations on your acceptances to Sackler. For those of you who are still waiting I really hope you get in.

I have the age old question to ask about MCAT and GPA scores. I have searched but I can not seem to get the information I need anywhere on the internet.

I have a gpa of 3.5 and an mcat of 26 and so I have essentially run out of options for American MD programs. I am interested in BGU and Sackler but for all of my searching I cannot ascertain whether or not these schools are exactly as competitive as American schools or if people with lower stats like mine have a chance. I don't have a lot of money so I don't want to apply to schools that won't even look at me.

Thank you for your time, Good luck in medical school everyone. :)

Wait-listed at 1 US MD school, tons of DO acceptances...

3.67, 3.55, 29R

Best of luck...

I called earlier to see what info I could gather about wait list movement they didn't really have anything to say about when movement could start. She just said, "it is impossible to know when the committee will meet and take people from the waitlist."

Does anyone have ANY more info about how the wait list works or when they could start taking people off of it. Perhaps any Sackler people who got accepted off of the waitlist know when in the summer that happened? Thanks!!!

I called earlier to see what info I could gather about wait list movement they didn't really have anything to say about when movement could start. She just said, "it is impossible to know when the committee will meet and take people from the waitlist."

Does anyone have ANY more info about how the wait list works or when they could start taking people off of it. Perhaps any Sackler people who got accepted off of the waitlist know when in the summer that happened? Thanks!!!

did she happen to mention when the committee is meeting in general disregarding the waitlist? I only just applied last week and im curious to the time frame for a late application. My stats are 3.3s 3.5cumm and 32 MCAT and did not get a single interview for the US MDs after applying to 18 schools.

no she didnt, she just says, its impossible to know when they will meet...Why she says this, I have no idea, but you should call and ask bc she may give you a more concrete answer. From what I have gathered of months of trying to figure out how this process works, there is NO rhyme or reason to it and things can either happen real fast or real slow...
If you call, let us know what she says...

can anyone who has been accepted tell me how many people are in the google group. I hear that the group is invite only after having sent the deposit so that should give an idea of how full the class is at this point and whether i have any hope.

Hey guys, this might answer some of your questions. There are currently 28 members in the google group and I think at least 4 of them are soon to be second year Sackler students who are moderators. I applied on 10/13/2009, I interviewed at a Sackler alums private medical office in California on 2/11/2010, and I was accepted via postal mail on 4/26/2010. My stats were 3.82 overall gpa, 3.75 science gpa, 29S mcat.

So would that mean that the class is only realy about half full??

Miles, it appears so, although there may be accepted applicants who have not yet joined the Google group. A word about the waitlist, I know a current first year at Sackler who was taken off of the waitlist in mid-June. I would expect there to be movement. As some accepted students who prefer US med schools get off of other waitlists, you'll see some movement. Good luck!

Hey all so this is actually my first post on SDN, i have been a frequent onlooker for many months now and now that I am so on the edge of my seat I had to join. I interviewed in Feb and I am beyond excited for Sackler. So far, have the only acceptance letters received been to the east coast? I live in the midwest and I am eagerly waiting a letter...I hope its on its way!!! Hope to join you guys in tel aviv in the fall!!

Hey guys, this might answer some of your questions. There are currently 28 members in the google group and I think at least 4 of them are soon to be second year Sackler students who are moderators. I applied on 10/13/2009, I interviewed at a Sackler alums private medical office in California on 2/11/2010, and I was accepted via postal mail on 4/26/2010. My stats were 3.82 overall gpa, 3.75 science gpa, 29S mcat.

Calovin- thanks for the info, that definitely sounds hopeful.
Miles- I'll keep you updated if i hear anything.

Thanks for the stats CAlovin! I'm waitlisted as well & those numbers make me very hopeful...I really hope to hear by sometime in June

I agree, those numbers are good news....hopefully we will hear soon!!

has anyone who interviewed toward the end of April heard anything back yet