Ross University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is good to know. Thanks skip.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,,
I want to apply in Ross for may 2014. So what would be best time for application and MCAT score??

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview day with Ross Univ did not go as planned last Thursday. It was cancelled last minute because of some details and had to book a last minute flight and hotel to fly to Chicago by Monday. Luckily, I was sponsored to go because the last minute flight was nearly $1200. I got there and interviewed with Leslie. I thought the interview went well, but one question got me. I couldn't answer it and told her that I would get back to her. Left the interview and felt uneasy because of my low MCAT score and that one question that I couldn't answer. It was eating at me this entire week and the thought of having to deal with it for an entire 3-4 weeks was hard to deal with.

So like any other pre-med, I googled to see if anyone has made it into Ross with a 20 on the MCAT. Yeah, I know pretty pathetic and supporting of the stigma "that you would drop out within a month or you wouldn't pass step 1 or 2". Interviewer did ask me about it, but I remained focused and told her that even though my MCAT was not up to par, I applied to Ross because of the quality education that bases it selection of qualified students whom are well rounded and hard working as evident in my Cumulative GPA and Science GPA all of which is 3.7.

5 days later at 2:15am- I got an email stating that I was accepted into ROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and as a bonus my AACOMAS application was just verified! I hope with much luck and prayers that I get an interview with a DO school, but if it doesn't work out than ROSS here I come!!

SKIP Intro- I really need advice from where to live, travel, tuition costs, and food! That would be awesome if you could help!:love:

Congrats! I have a quick question...i have the opposite case..i have a VERY LOW gpa...cGPA 2.3..my biology major gpa is a 3.2...i know ppl might say you wont be able to handle this and that...i was a biomedical engineering major..and switched to bio..had 3.8 gpa my last two semesters before graduating..my MCAT is a 27..also have the usual shadowing and volunteering...do you think they would even consider me for MERP??

Congrats! I have a quick question...i have the opposite case..i have a VERY LOW gpa...cGPA 2.3..my biology major gpa is a 3.2...i know ppl might say you wont be able to handle this and that...i was a biomedical engineering major..and switched to bio..had 3.8 gpa my last two semesters before graduating..my MCAT is a 27..also have the usual shadowing and volunteering...do you think they would even consider me for MERP??
You're mcat is high enough to get direct admission with ROSS

Even despite the low cGPA?

As long as u do fantastic in ur interview than I think u would get directly in. I have many engineering friends whose gpa are low due to those hard courses. Just need to explain urself. Have u applied yet? Try for Jan or May class. Sept (i heard) has more competition in terms of gpa and mcat.

Hello Skip,

My question is this; How difficult was it for your fellow class member to match into psychiatry residencies?

I am contemplating SGU post baccalaureate with sedgway into SGU med school - primarily to not lose time in the process ( I am 52 - talk about a non-trad!!). My undergrad grades are excellent and I have 18 years of MH experience. Want Psychiatry and am trying to find the most expeditious path.....

No one has been able to really give me specific numbers on Psychiatry matches from the Carib. I am willing to accept anecdotal material.

As long as u do fantastic in ur interview than I think u would get directly in. I have many engineering friends whose gpa are low due to those hard courses. Just need to explain urself. Have u applied yet? Try for Jan or May class. Sept (i heard) has more competition in terms of gpa and mcat.

I have applied for January, just waiting for my letters of Rec to be sent in..its really late, so I'm worried about that. Ross just sent me an email, saying if I apply before Nov. 30, they will waive my application fee..not sure what that really means..maybe they dont have enough ppl applying for Jan? Thank you for your advice though!

Did you read this article? "So with the “all in” policy there were more slots offered in the match: in psychiatry, 1,360 positions were offered (compared with 1,118 in 2012). And of the 1,360 slots, 1,330 were filled. Positions not filled by U.S. graduates were filled by international medical graduates (including U.S. and non-U.S. citizens), Canadian students, graduates of osteopathic schools, and students who graduated from medical school in previous years." More Graduates Choose Psychiatry in 2013 Match

Did you read this article? "So with the “all in” policy there were more slots offered in the match: in psychiatry, 1,360 positions were offered (compared with 1,118 in 2012). And of the 1,360 slots, 1,330 were filled. Positions not filled by U.S. graduates were filled by international medical graduates (including U.S. and non-U.S. citizens), Canadian students, graduates of osteopathic schools, and students who graduated from medical school in previous years." More Graduates Choose Psychiatry in 2013 Match

I guess I need to be more specific. If I went to the Caribbean, specifically with the intent of pursuing psychiatry, are you readily able to match into a residency? My understanding is that whether US or Carib, that many Psychiatry matches occur when someone does not get the specialty they wanted, or was hoping for. If this is your primary focus, and your specific goal, is the Caribbean a good option? Or do you get "run over" in the match by residents who didn't get their first choice specialty? Someone had said to me that you may get accepted in the Carib, but never get your specialty - you will end up in Family Practice or Psychiatry. In my world, that is actually a good thing! Either way...the numbers you quoted look good....I feel encouraged.

If I went to the Caribbean, specifically with the intent of pursuing psychiatry, are you readily able to match into a residency?

If you like Psychiatry, yes. Probably. Psychiatry today is what Anesthesiology was ten years ago. No one was choosing this field, so it was relatively wide open. And, subsequently, there were not enough qualified individuals who were trained to fill the jobs. The result? Salaries skyrocketed over the past few years.

I think it's going to saturate, much as anesthesia has, over the next couple to five years. Just be prepared to handle that. But, doing what you love is most important, and if that's the field for you so be it! I would still be an Anesthesiologist no matter what, but the pay doesn't hurt either.

-Skip

P.S. I absolutely hate this new forum software.

Reactions: 1 user
If you like Psychiatry, yes. Probably. Psychiatry today is what Anesthesiology was ten years ago. No one was choosing this field, so it was relatively wide open. And, subsequently, there were not enough qualified individuals who were trained to fill the jobs. The result? Salaries skyrocketed over the past few years.

I think it's going to saturate, much as anesthesia has, over the next couple to five years. Just be prepared to handle that. But, doing what you love is most important, and if that's the field for you so be it! I would still be an Anesthesiologist no matter what, but the pay doesn't hurt either.

-Skip

P.S. I absolutely hate this new forum software.

Thank you Skip Intro. I love and adore psychiatry, and have been mentored by some of the best.....It is really my goal and my dream specialty...

Members don't see this ad :)
how long does it take to hear back from admissions about getting/not getting an interview after submitting secondary?

About 2-3 weeks after secondary submission.

About 2-3 weeks after secondary submission.
thank you! what are the chances you get a rejection post-interview? do most people with interviews get accepted/merped? I know people do get rejected from ross post-interview, but are those rejections saved for those with horrible interviews?

from reading forums.... I mostly see acceptance/merp.... Ppl with stats similar to mine made it to merp. Which sucks, but u gotta do whatever it takes. I believe it is all in the interview and how genuinely passionate u are about this opportunity. on the other hand, if u eff the interview than I dont see a reason for acceptance.

I disagree with one of the 101 things, i like the smell of hospitals:)

The list is a somewhat humorous example of typical medical school frustrations that will melt away once you finish training. It's funny, but I would have said "pediatricians" instead of OB/Gyn. In both med school rotations and my subsequent residency, they were the most stressed-out and miserable group of physicians I met.

-Skip

Start reading this thread at this point in the discussion:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13848849#post13848849

I broke the numbers down.

Fact is, there WILL be fewer spots for "alternate pathway" graduates, but there are still more spots being added. The people who are going to have the toughest time are the ones who will require some sort of visa to train in residency here. If you are already a U.S. citizen, this is one hurdle you won't have to worry about jumping over.

Your best bet is to get into a U.S. medical school. But, remember that osteopathy students are still considered to be independent applicants by the NRMP.

Again, no one knows exactly what is going to happen after 2015 - not even the people making the rules and calling the shots - at this point. Is it becoming more of a gamble to go to the Caribbean? Maybe. Probably.

But, the fact is that Caribbean graduates who have successfully navigated their way through the system jumping through all of the hoops will likely still find somewhere to train in the U.S. As I've said numerous times (almost to the point of being a broken record), though, expect to do that training in some form of primary care.

If your heart is set on being a neurosurgeon, do whatever you can to get into a U.S. medical school (and still don't be surprised if it doesn't happen for you... that's probably the most competitive specialty).

-Skip

thank you for this. so here's what we can settle on: residency spot numbers are actually INCREASING every year, not remaining stagnant as many articles like to claim. A 1:1 graduate:residency spot ratio will be damn near impossible to reach. even so, matching in 2018 as a caribb grad will be more difficult than it is, say, this year because of the increase in US MD enrollment numbers. As long as I study my a** off on the island, i will be fine.

A 1:1 graduate:residency spot ratio will be damn near impossible to reach.

It will never be reached. The only way you could do this would be to completely do away with the match, take away choice and preference, and then simply assign residency spots to graduates.

-Skip

I had my interview, and chances are i'll end up on the island September 2014! I just had a question though...i'll try to word it the best way i can. If I start first semester in September, will I be ready for the Match process four years down the road? That is, will I be ready to match up at the same time as my peers that are state-side? I'm confused by how the terms at Ross work.

On a related note, if I do first semester in September and start my second semester in January, will I get the summer semester entirely off? Does everyone match at the same time? I guess what I am asking is this: if I want to mimic the more "conventional" state-side academic calendar, is the September 2014 start the best way to go? Should I call and see if they can fit me into May 2014?

I had my interview, and chances are i'll end up on the island September 2014! I just had a question though...i'll try to word it the best way i can. If I start first semester in September, will I be ready for the Match process four years down the road? That is, will I be ready to match up at the same time as my peers that are state-side? I'm confused by how the terms at Ross work.

On a related note, if I do first semester in September and start my second semester in January, will I get the summer semester entirely off? Does everyone match at the same time? I guess what I am asking is this: if I want to mimic the more "conventional" state-side academic calendar, is the September 2014 start the best way to go? Should I call and see if they can fit me into May 2014?
I'm also curious about this. Additionally,I was offered to move up acceptance date to January 2014. I guess they don't have many january students?

On a related note, if I do first semester in September and start my second semester in January, will I get the summer semester entirely off?

No. There are three semesters per year. You will go straight through. 16 weeks a piece. Do not take any time off. This can potentially cause you significant problems with medical boards down the line. There are horror stories.

Does everyone match at the same time?

The NRMP ("Match") is once a year. Period. So, yes, everyone "matches" at the same time.

I guess what I am asking is this: if I want to mimic the more "conventional" state-side academic calendar, is the September 2014 start the best way to go? Should I call and see if they can fit me into May 2014?

You can theoretically finish in 3 1/2 years if you don't have any hiccups and go straight through. You can then graduate (which is totally separate from Matching) in the January graduation class and have your degree. If you get into a program outside the Match and finish your ECFMG certification (which is also required before you can get even a training license), theoretically you could start then. Personally, I would not recommend this. If you do well in the program, score well on the USMLEs, and get good recommendations, chances are you will get a better spot through the Match than if you signed with some community program that is (quite simply) desperate for warm bodies.

Incidentally and on a separate note, I've reconnected with a bunch of former classmates who were in my 2005 graduating class. I am amazed at the number of them who have appointments as assistant professors, clinical instructors, etc. at U.S. medical school/university-based GME programs. One of them is even in the surgery department at Washington University.

Go figga!

-Skip

ok, so if i do (knock on wood since i dont even have an acceptance yet) start May, i will only be speeding up my graduation date, assuming i don't have any hiccups. in your eyes skip, what is the best semester to start if i don't have any hiccups, are able to do clinical rotations back to back, etc.?

This is only from my single, one-time-on-the-island experience. Others would have to corroborate this since I left, because things may have changed drastically. Remember, I was there 12 years ago (which seems like a long time, but - trust me - it FLIES by). Nonetheless...

I think the summer/May semester is the best to start in. For the following reasons:

(1) This is usually the "weakest" (if there truly is such a thing) class. What I mean is that most people want to start in September, most after they've graduated college in May and many of whom that barely didn't get into U.S. medical school. Therefore, this is is usually the "strongest" class. Ross grades on the curve, and if you are strong student in the May class you are far less likely to fail exams, fail a course, and subsequently get held back and have to repeat.

(2) This also will allow you to sit for USMLE Step 1 much earlier and even start your clinical rotations earlier, which is a good thing. All of this means that, if you are going to run into scheduling conflicts during those rotations, you will still have enough time to finish the program with a lot of room (e.g., if you have to move around, have to wait to do a core or an elective, etc.).

(3) If Ross considers you to be on the borderline of getting in, you are more likely to get a spot if you tell them you want to start in the May class. This class usually has the most open spots. The people who don't start in September because the class is full more likely will get pushed back to the January starting class, not the following May class.

Again, just one person's opinion. This should be talked about with the school. For what it's worth, I started in the fall/September class and did fine (finished on time, etc.)

-Skip

This is only from my single, one-time-on-the-island experience. Others would have to corroborate this since I left, because things may have changed drastically. Remember, I was there 12 years ago (which seems like a long time, but - trust me - it FLIES by). Nonetheless...

I think the summer/May semester is the best to start in. For the following reasons:

(1) This is usually the "weakest" (if there truly is such a thing) class. What I mean is that most people want to start in September, most after they've graduated college in May and many of whom that barely didn't get into U.S. medical school. Therefore, this is is usually the "strongest" class. Ross grades on the curve, and if you are strong student in the May class you are far less likely to fail exams, fail a course, and subsequently get held back and have to repeat.

(2) This also will allow you to sit for USMLE Step 1 much earlier and even start your clinical rotations earlier, which is a good thing. All of this means that, if you are going to run into scheduling conflicts during those rotations, you will still have enough time to finish the program with a lot of room (e.g., if you have to move around, have to wait to do a core or an elective, etc.).

(3) If Ross considers you to be on the borderline of getting in, you are more likely to get a spot if you tell them you want to start in the May class. This class usually has the most open spots. The people who don't start in September because the class is full more likely will get pushed back to the January starting class, not the following May class.

Again, just one person's opinion. This should be talked about with the school. For what it's worth, I started in the fall/September class and did fine (finished on time, etc.)

-Skip

Anecdotally, I think this holds true for SGU as well. It seems to me that students starting in the "off term" January class have a slightly easier time of it despite starting later. Of course, your mileage may vary, and your own personal schedule may complicate things. But it ultimately gives you an extra couple months to study for the Step exams, which can be invaluable if you allocate your time accordingly. I know of a few people who really squandered their time and it ended up hurting them, though. Plan accordingly, and as Skip is fond of saying, have a backup plan, and a backup-plan for your back-up plan.

Last edited:
I am currently a third semester at ross, I have not been on SDN for a long time. I was turned away because many people on this forum were just bashing people going to Caribbean school. For some reason have I come back to check how everything are going.

Regarding which Term to start, one thing to consider: Since May 2013 (Term I started) they offer two tracks after first semester. Choices Fast: pace (Accelerated) or Slow pace (regular). You get a choice of getting of the island in 4 semester or 5 semester. If you go the longer route, between each block you have study break and at the end of the study break you take the mini (exam). If you start in May Term it does not matter which track you choose both will graduate the same year, BUT if you choose to start in September term and you do end up choosing the slower route you will not graduate with your original class but will have to wait a year.

Skip Intro: the rock is getting better we have a Subway on campus and IGA supermarket has opened which is like Pathmark or Acme.

Do you make the decision to take the fast or slow route as you go during the semester or before you start? Which is most recommended ?

I am currently a third semester at ross, I have not been on SDN for a long time. I was turned away because many people on this forum were just bashing people going to Caribbean school. For some reason have I come back to check how everything are going.

Regarding which Term to start, one thing to consider: Since May 2013 (Term I started) they offer two tracks after first semester. Choices Fast: pace (Accelerated) or Slow pace (regular). You get a choice of getting of the island in 4 semester or 5 semester. If you go the longer route, between each block you have study break and at the end of the study break you take the mini (exam). If you start in May Term it does not matter which track you choose both will graduate the same year, BUT if you choose to start in September term and you do end up choosing the slower route you will not graduate with your original class but will have to wait a year.

Skip Intro: the rock is getting better we have a Subway on campus and IGA supermarket has opened which is like Pathmark or Acme.

Do you make the decision to take the fast or slow route as you go during the semester or before you start? Which is most recommended ?
I made the decision to take the Slower track. The decision has to be made before end of semester one. I choose slower pace because I wanted to be able to internalize the material instead of just cram it in. But only do choose this track if you are not going to procrastinate and are very organized. I know many people in this track will travel to Barbados or another island during the study break, not a good use of time.

Sweet. I'm glad things are changing for the better since I started there... over 12 years ago!

-Skip

I made the decision to take the Slower track. The decision has to be made before end of semester one. I choose slower pace because I wanted to be able to internalize the material instead of just cram it in. But only do choose this track if you are not going to procrastinate and are very organized. I know many people in this track will travel to Barbados or another island during the study break, not a good use of time.

Is there a tuition break for the fast track?

Also, if doing the fast track starting in May, would clinicals start a term earlier than if doing the regular track in May....or would there just be more time off for boards?

Anyone know where I can find a timeline of Fast-May vs Regular-May vs Regular September? I'm trying to wrap my head around this but it's all too new.

Is there a tuition break for the fast track?

Also, if doing the fast track starting in May, would clinicals start a term earlier than if doing the regular track in May....or would there just be more time off for boards?

Anyone know where I can find a timeline of Fast-May vs Regular-May vs Regular September? I'm trying to wrap my head around this but it's all too new.

Yes, it is $ 12,000 less compared to the regular track. The clinical start based on when you submit your STEP 1 score. I believe you are referring to track programs, where you can do all the cores rotations in one place, I believe they start in August. If you start in May you will be on time for those.

I have a ppt Ross gave us to help choose a proper track, Message me your email. It has a time line for Fast and regular track.

Yes, it is $ 12,000 less compared to the regular track. The clinical start based on when you submit your STEP 1 score. I believe you are referring to track programs, where you can do all the cores rotations in one place, I believe they start in August. If you start in May you will be on time for those.

I have a ppt Ross gave us to help choose a proper track, Message me your email. It has a time line for Fast and regular track.

Thank you for the info...it's quite helpful. I'll message you.

Is there an apartment or studio that you would recommend that is safe,responsible manager,good internet and generator, pricing is mid range, close to annex and school.

Hmani
Is there an apartment or studio that you would recommend that is safe,responsible manager,good internet and generator, pricing is mid range, close to annex and school.
Which semester are you starting? Message me your email I have a file which has student reviews regarding apts. I suggest staying near campus then Annex, lot more stores and resturants near campus.

Just received my May 2014 welcome packet! Apartment researching now.... I was told to live on lizards trail... Any recommendations? Somewhere around $500 to $650 with generator and security bars, well lit, great owners. Should I take my chances with a roommate?

Just live as close to campus as possible. Study in the classrooms. They are air conditioned and the campus has a back-up power generator for the infallible power outages.

-Skip

Hi all,

How long is the average response time after an interview? It has been a week and two days and I'm getting nervous. Is it okay to call admissions and ask your application status?

Nik

I commented on my profile earlier. ....I interviewed last fall 2013 to join the may 2014 class on a Monday. I heard back from them on a Friday/ Saturday of that same week. Keep in mind that his is a busy time for the admin because everyone is trying to make it in the May class. Give it until Wednesday and call Ross. Its absolutely fine to ask about the status, just don't be rude. Good luck nikkibug.

Did you hear anything yet, Nikki?

It's okay to call them.

-Skip

Did you hear anything yet, Nikki?

It's okay to call them.

-Skip

Skip,

I called Ross on Thursday. My interview was on March 13th and I'm applying for the May semester. I was told by Tom Hueller I would know within a week, but when I talked to Ross, they said it always takes an average of atleast three to six weeks to hear a response.

Nik.

Good luck, Nik. I'm sure you'll hear something positive soon. The May semester is a pretty good one to start because it will give you more flexibility when it comes to the time to start your clinicals.

-Skip

Just received my May 2014 welcome packet! Apartment researching now.... I was told to live on lizards trail... Any recommendations? Somewhere around $500 to $650 with generator and security bars, well lit, great owners. Should I take my chances with a roommate?

Hi, I'm starting in September and I know I have quite a bit of time left but I wanted to be kept in the apartment researching loop. I have yet to receive my welcome packet, but are there recommendations for apts in the packet? Also, in terms of living conditions, for those that are currently on the island, how is it? Do they have problems with running water, power outages etc.?

Thank you for any reply :)

-J

Hi, I'm starting in September and I know I have quite a bit of time left but I wanted to be kept in the apartment researching loop. I have yet to receive my welcome packet, but are there recommendations for apts in the packet? Also, in terms of living conditions, for those that are currently on the island, how is it? Do they have problems with running water, power outages etc.?

Thank you for any reply :)

-J
Hey j,
I'm starting in a 4 weeks. The apartment database is pretty cool so far. Some have pictures and others you can view on YouTube (if they aren't too shaky). As for the welcome packet... Make sure you have your vaccination records. You will need hep a, hep b, DTP,HIV test, women's check up ( if you are female), tb skin , chest xray ( no matter pos or neg). I would try to get a head start on hepatitis shots. Plus you need to fill out fafsa forms

Hey j,
I'm starting in a 4 weeks. The apartment database is pretty cool so far. Some have pictures and others you can view on YouTube (if they aren't too shaky). As for the welcome packet... Make sure you have your vaccination records. You will need hep a, hep b, DTP,HIV test, women's check up ( if you are female), tb skin , chest xray ( no matter pos or neg). I would try to get a head start on hepatitis shots. Plus you need to fill out fafsa forms

Thanks for the reply hmania! I've already filled out fafsa forms.. but need to get my vaccination records together!

I'm freaking out about matching into ANY residency let alone a top one. If I graduate from a caribbean school I'll be labeled an IMG. Even with competitive board scores, will it still be difficult to match being an IMG?

No More IMGs for Residency Training Programs After 2015, Says Journal of American Medical Associationhttp://www.medicalopedia.org/3946/n...says-journal-of-american-medical-association/

Do you seriously think there will be no positions for residents from Caribbean schools? I heard it was just harder...not necessarily impossible. but there are doors closed for derm and some surgeries...for example....anyone considering going to Ross vs. a US med school that they've been accepted to?