Ross University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it's a special masters do that.

Can't really do much with the master's other than working in a lab (Which I would rather claw my eyes out at this point) IslandStyle808, I did, but both times got weight listed :( I know I should've applied broader but it is what it is. As long as I do well wherever I go, I'll just be happy to be there.

Members don't see this ad.

I had pretty average stats. 3.7 with 3.5 sGPA. Average MCAT. However, 2 published papers (collaborative), 2 research projects, a clinical research project, recs from medschool professors and a masters. Heard back within the week of submitting with an invite, that's why I was a little skeptical. Well, that's good to hear. Maybe I'll get in.

Sorry but I have to say this. For those stats, I highly suggest trying again for another cycle for both US MD and DO.

Agreed, assuming you applied broadly/intelligently, and have no other major red flags. Waiting a year for a DO program is preferable for most applicants.

soooooooo, had an interview in Columbus, OH yesterday. Obviously we went over my resume/grades/score but i felt good about it afterwords. The whole thing was around an hour and a half. I have to say though, that I'm pretty nervous given that semester starts in september. Who all has heard back and who all is attending?! I'd like to get to know a few people before I start making plans (if i get in). Anyone looking for a roommate?

Members don't see this ad :)
soooooooo, had an interview in Columbus, OH yesterday. Obviously we went over my resume/grades/score but i felt good about it afterwords. The whole thing was around an hour and a half. I have to say though, that I'm pretty nervous given that semester starts in september. Who all has heard back and who all is attending?! I'd like to get to know a few people before I start making plans (if i get in). Anyone looking for a roommate?

Don't do it bruh.

Reactions: 1 user

My second warning, don't do it.

Why are you even doubting if you'll get in or not? heck, you got interview at US MD programs, that is a lot tougher than getting into a Caribbean program. To me, even getting on the wait list at a US MD program is a very good sign that you're getting close. I would not attend the Caribbean and apply again.. you don't want to face all those uncertainties. Do the hard work now so you don't have to do it later because it will get a lot tougher if you go down that path.

BTW....

Why does ur status say DO/PhD student... and why do you have DO in the username....?

hmm... something smells trollish...

Does anyone know about how long it takes to hear back after an interview? I had my interview 4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything :( Do they give you a call?

Does anyone know about how long it takes to hear back after an interview? I had my interview 4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything :( Do they give you a call?

Got my acceptance via phone call and then followed up with a subsequent e-mail approximately 1.5 weeks post-interview.

Why? I've heard nothing but great things from quite a few current and former ross students.

This will turn into a poop thread. I want to know why you want to go, give me your stats, ECs, and whatnot. PM me.

This will turn into a poop thread. I want to know why you want to go, give me your stats, ECs, and whatnot. PM me.
I really don't need anyone else's input on whether to go to ross or not. I've already made an informed decision. I asked about interview feedback timeline, not my application feedback.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't need anyone else's input on whether to go to ross or not. I've already made an informed decision. I asked about interview feedback timeline, not my application feedback.

I can see @Goro 's attributes to the personalities exhibited by many carib students appeals to this situation indeed.

But alright bro.

Hope you make it through. Just know that in 4 years things will be very different by the time you get out (if you do).

That IMG match rate is something serious.

Good luck man.

As a clinician, you'll see lots of self-destructive behaviors.

I can see @Goro 's attributes to the personalities exhibited by many carib students appeals to this situation indeed.

But alright bro.

Hope you make it through. Just know that in 4 years things will be very different by the time you get out (if you do).

That IMG match rate is something serious.

Good luck man.

As a clinician, you'll see lots of self-destructive behaviors.

Ur right. I keep forgetting that sometimes... you have to let nature run its course. All we can do is simply try our best to educate the less-informed.

It's all about preserving the patient's autonomy right?

Love you Goro. Wouldn't be where I am without you man!

I rest my case.
Denial is more than a river in Africa.
Please go back to pre-osteo where you belong.
Ur right. I keep forgetting that sometimes... you have to let nature run its course. All we can do is simply try our best to educate the less-informed.

It's all about preserving the patient's autonomy right?

Love you Goro. Wouldn't be where I am without you man!
You should be studying (if you're actually even in medical school). Based on the quality of your posts on this message board, you are definitely not smart enough to succeed in medical school if you are wasting time posting your "advice" (i.e. uninformed nonsensical opinion) on SDN.

Reactions: 2 users
Please go back to pre-osteo where you belong.

You should be studying (if you're actually even in medical school). Based on the quality of your posts on this message board, you are definitely not smart enough to succeed in medical school if you are wasting time posting your "advice" (i.e. uninformed nonsensical opinion) on SDN.

ur right.

But ironically, a supposed IMG now resident does have time to insult people.....

You repeatedly say you want to provide an unbiased viewpoint on Caribbean schools and tell students to try in the US for a few cycles before considering the Caribbean as a viable option... I didn't know that included random snide remarks on top of it...
Well just so you now know, it absolutely includes random snide remarks towards people who repeatedly post false information and present uninformed opinion, based on zero actual experience, as fact.

That alone makes it impossible for people to ever take you seriously...... you're too sensitive to be objective.

Always thought you represent the other side of the IMG argument, but you're similar to Trump and want to be as abrasive as possible. Fortunately I can just ignore you.

Bye
Yea see that's the point. There is no "other side of the IMG argument." The whole point is that the nonsense coming from many posters, and those 2 in particular, is just that, nonsense. I'm not pro-Caribbean, I'm pro-reality. I have never told anyone they should or shouldn't go to the Caribbean. What I do is try to present the facts as best as I can so people can make their own decision. I also push back against people who just consistently spew the same afactual hogwash over and over.

If for that I've lost your ear, then I guess I'll just have to try and live with that. Hopefully I can manage...

And you calling others out for being abrasive is simply hilarious. Pot, meet kettle.
No dude you can be inconsistent between good and bad grades .....

With your intelligence you shouldn't bank on getting anything near 528.
You don't have to take my word for it..... everyone on this forum thinks you're an idiot.
I don't need to actually insult you.......you make yourself look like an idiot

Have a nice day =D
Not even a bad idea, at least they'd have survival and coping skills unlike the OP
Let's be fair everyone....... regardless of whether this OP goes DO or Caribbean MD.... he's so dense that he probably won't be a good doctor even if he gets through the whole process.

OP the fact that you struggle with such a basic decision speaks to how low your decision making capabilities are. I weep for all the patients you will hurt in the future due to your ineptitude.

Some people actually want to help patients and not care about stroking their own/parent's egos.
That was from page 1/9 of your posting history...

Reactions: 4 users
Hey folks!
Its been a while since my last post. I've been pretty busy studying for step 2 ck and cs. Well Im starting 4th year, electives are coming soon... ERAS token are coming out ... Application for residency will be due. A lot has happened during my MS3 year. I've learned a lot about myself (strengths, weaknesses, and which specialty I would like to go into). Additionally, I have met many different and unique colleagues. Lets just say Rossies are the same as any work force... there are some people whom are hard working, funny, infectious with laughter. Others, on the other hand, are lazy, pretend to be incompetent, will not help others when the workload is high, and will throw you under the bus at first notice.

People say that after the first two years of medical school... things would get easier. However, I seem to think otherwise. You have a shelf exam nearly every 6 weeks and STEP 2 to worry about. Additionally, difficult personalities at the hospital can weigh you down sometimes because it.... Lets face it... competitive environment.

You must learn to shine during your own turn and let others have chance at answering the question or looking good in front of Attendings. At other times, residents are on their high horse and displace their anger on students. Attendings at time are more focused on the work instead of teaching.

I hope everything goes well in the next few months. If there is anything I can help you guys with... just post a reply! If there's any advice that you can offer to me... please post as well.

Hey folks!
Its been a while since my last post. I've been pretty busy studying for step 2 ck and cs. Well Im starting 4th year, electives are coming soon... ERAS token are coming out ... Application for residency will be due. A lot has happened during my MS3 year. I've learned a lot about myself (strengths, weaknesses, and which specialty I would like to go into). Additionally, I have met many different and unique colleagues. Lets just say Rossies are the same as any work force... there are some people whom are hard working, funny, infectious with laughter. Others, on the other hand, are lazy, pretend to be incompetent, will not help others when the workload is high, and will throw you under the bus at first notice.

People say that after the first two years of medical school... things would get easier. However, I seem to think otherwise. You have a shelf exam nearly every 6 weeks and STEP 2 to worry about. Additionally, difficult personalities at the hospital can weigh you down sometimes because it.... Lets face it... competitive environment.

You must learn to shine during your own turn and let others have chance at answering the question or looking good in front of Attendings. At other times, residents are on their high horse and displace their anger on students. Attendings at time are more focused on the work instead of teaching.

I hope everything goes well in the next few months. If there is anything I can help you guys with... just post a reply! If there's any advice that you can offer to me... please post as well.

Where are you doing your rotations? Is it hard to get one in Florida?

Where are you doing your rotations? Is it hard to get one in Florida?
Completed my rotations in NY. It is not hard to get a track in Florida specifically at the Center for Haitian Studies. However, Cleveland clinic requires you to have Step 1 minimum of 220.

If there's any advice that you can offer to me... please post as well.

Hey hmania! Glad to see you are progressing.

My advice is to apply early, broadly (in terms of programs), and wide (geographically) for your Match prospects. Pick a field you really want... and then throw in some "sure bets" as far as Family Practice, Peds, prelims, IM, etc. just to absolutely make sure you match somewhere in something. Plenty of residents switch programs or subsequently do something else (2nd residency, fellowship, sub-specialty, etc.) after they start a program. The point is, do everything you can to ensure that you match into a program somewhere and don't have to (what we used to call) scramble (that they now call SOAP).

Good luck! Make sure everything is ready to go by the deadline and submit your applications ASAP, even if they are slightly incomplete (missing letters, etc.).

-Skip

Hey hmania! Glad to see you are progressing.

My advice is to apply early, broadly (in terms of programs), and wide (geographically) for your Match prospects. Pick a field you really want... and then throw in some "sure bets" as far as Family Practice, Peds, prelims, IM, etc. just to absolutely make sure you match somewhere in something. Plenty of residents switch programs or subsequently do something else (2nd residency, fellowship, sub-specialty, etc.) after they start a program. The point is, do everything you can to ensure that you match into a program somewhere and don't have to (what we used to call) scramble (that they now call SOAP).

Good luck! Make sure everything is ready to go by the deadline and submit your applications ASAP, even if they are slightly incomplete (missing letters, etc.).

-Skip
Well I guess it calls as an Update! I started the interview season!... Lets just say going all in with a grand total of $4700 ish ... 190 FM and 10 IM. My wallet hurts so much right now. However the response was fantastic. Here's a timeline of how things went:

-1 week before Sept 15th (when programs get my app): sent out emails to programs that I rotated or have great interest in that included some words and my aamc id. Got response back from 2 places with promised interviews.
- Sept 16th: got 3 interviews
-Sept 17th- Oct 1st: total count of 10 interview invites
-Since Oct 2nd: 6 more interviews

Now you are probably thinking... this student got major major high scores. I would say... nah. It was purely divine intervention, preparation, and opportunity. What I did to make sure I got "for sure" interviews was : AAFP conference in Kansas and sold myself, strategic audition, Letters of recommendations, and emailing random programs that I wanted to know more about before submitting (this happened in June, July, August).

So I scheduled the ones I have had my eyes on sandwiched in the middle. The ones I wasn't too sure about in the beginning for practice and to shake those nerves out as I practice my response.

So here are some things that I have noted along my interviews that are notable:
1. FM are the best: they often pay for hotel stay, and dinner the night before. Other specialties only do dinner
2. To prep for dinner: please read this Table manners for physicians: 30 tips for better dining etiquette this will be so helpful for those not familiar with the proper way to have dinner. I have seen students as well as residents go on the "date" and engulf the food like it is their last meal on earth.
3. When asked "why this place? or what connection do you have?"... You can sense people lying. Really.... As a candidate, sure you want to have family here... but is it worth it to lie and compromise your ethics?
--- short story: on my first interview in this "rural" area. Residents asked this over dinner. One applicant said... "yeah, I have family who lives here".. Resident probed a little more "where does your family reside?"... Applicant stated "this area, I've visited this area many times before"... Resident said "wow this is a small place and everyone knows each other"... Applicant said "yes it is ... my relative is an electrician".... Resident said "Oh cool, has your relative taken you to this _____"... Applicant said "yeah".... Resident said "what did you enjoy the most there?".... Applicant by now was sweating visible bullets and the smell of bull**** came right out.

-- Now, it was uncomfortable for applicant as well as Me. I had to deal with the heat radiating off of them and being caught in that web... but I got to say... the spot light showed more than just lies... it showed a person who bended under pressure... a person whose ethical compass was mis-align.
--- why can't you be honest and answer... "I want to be that connection to your program?"
--- I have talked to residents at that hospital about my answer... they said ... connection doesn't matter. Programs want you for you!

4. By a planner to keep the interview dates, dinner time and place, hotel place, flight time, and rental car details in. You can also write what you personally thought about the programs in after the interview.
5. Programs do read Personal statements and applications. I am one of those who took 4 months of editing and proofreading ... and it should count. Additionally, the places that I really wanted to go to... had personalized personal statements catered to their program. The program director told me that he loved this most... because this showed that I am detail oriented and willing to take time for them.
6. Southwest airlines is a blessing... because if you need to change flights or cancel... you still have credit
7. At most... 2 interviews per week is good enough. You don't want to burn out.
8. Many people said that 10 interviews... means that you will match. If more than that, you can start to be nit picky and cancel for other applicants to get a chance.
9. I love receiving handwritten notes ... and so I hope that I am doing the right thing by sending it off!
10. Be You... everyone else is taken.
11. Even though I have a lot comparatively to other candidates, but be humble. I treat every interview like it is an opportunity to learn rather than a given right. Many of my peers start chilling because they are "for sure" going to match... while this is statistically correct.. you never know. I have known those with 8 who did not Match last year. Until the ink is dry on a contract then I can rejoice.
12. The fact that I am from Ross University was never negative thing to my application. Actually, it serves as an advantage... you can explain global (international) medicine and the clinical experience that US students do not live through for 2 years.
13. Best part about this process... you are more in tune with yourself. A lot of self- reflection is involved.

Any comments or advice for this tumultuous time would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Great post, hmania! Sounds like things are going to work out for you. You're probably going to get more interviews than you know what to do with. The program that I matched into (in 2005) didn't even invite me for an interview until December. So, there's that!

"Why didn't I Match?"

I posted this not directed towards you (who I think is going to do fine), but to others. It has a link in it to an article about why people don't match.

Sounds like you've avoided those pitfalls and are well on your way. Just remember, when it comes time to submit your rank-order list - be honest and go for the gusto. And, just also remember that an Internal Medicine residency will provide you with a lot more opportunities to do a Fellowship down the line. That may not be important now. It might be in your future.

-Skip

Thank you for posting the link. Do you know what it means when students have been "discussed by promotions committee?"
Is this a behind-the-scenes occurrence?

(That was from the article, 1/2 the students who did.not match had been discussed by promotions committees)

Thank you for posting the link. Do you know what it means when students have been "discussed by promotions committee?"
Is this a behind-the-scenes occurrence?

(That was from the article, 1/2 the students who did.not match had been discussed by promotions committees)

The "promotions committee" is a common thing in U.S. medical schools. They determine whether you advance from from MS1 to MS2 to to MS3 to MS4.

The article linked suggests that students who didn't match, in part to the other "issues" that they had and/or other mistakes they made (listed in the article), had been "reviewed" and/or concerns had been expressed about advancing them through their medical education by that school's promotions committee. This would come out in a Dean's letter or a transcript or the like.

-Skip

Life is a cruel teacher. She gives you the test first and the lesson later.

To be honest, this match season has given me a lot of self-reflection time. The flight or car ride before and after the interview.... those were the moments. What I have learned....
1. Devil in the details... as an applicant, I was told to always be professional in correspondence and dress code. However, this season I have received interview invites whom were grammatically incorrect and words that were misspelled. I've met some applicants who decided on risque clothing. I've met faculty members who dressed as slobs at the first dinner with stains on their clothing.

2. Consider dinner etiquette. I have spoken about this earlier, but felt it was important to repeat this again.

3. It is truly horrible to complete rotations and go on interviews simultaneously. Some attendings are understanding of the hardships that students (especially IMG) endured to receive an honorable invite to interview. The hardships consist of : picking a date, scheduling it and sometimes not getting the preferred date, hotel, getting cheap flights, cars. Other attendings go for an eye for an eye... and expect you to come in the next day and work like you never came off of a 1AM flight.

4. Paying attention to what the residents said. I love programs that provide dinner the night before the interviews. Family medicine interviews tend to do this more than psych or IM. These moments that are meant to be casual provides golden gems and insight into the programs. I got to ask so many questions and hopefully get valuable answers. For the most part, residents are honest and provide answers that aren't found online.

5. The interviewees or aka your competition. Isn't it a known fact to be courteous and friendly to strangers?!... it isn't. I've seen some nasty exchanges and awkward moments between applicants. It's just weird and uncomfortable for others around. Popcorn and chill moment for me.
- For instance, was in a car with resident going to dinner with 3 other candidates. We were all talking about how interviews are going and having a great discussion about the outdoors. However, Interviewee A decided to corner and pester Interviewee B about where she has interviewed at.... very specific in question and the number of interviews she had. That was tough to sit through as an outsider.

-If you have similar experiences, please share your "Interview Bloopers".

cheers fellow IMG'ers!

Consider dinner etiquette. I have spoken about this earlier, but felt it was important to repeat this again.

^ This.

The dinner is the interview.

-Skip

-If you have similar experiences, please share your "Interview Bloopers".

Some of the things people said.
1. Guy asked pc at dinner: how many psych residents per year? Seriously. Look at the web site. Extra bad because he seemed absolutely unaware that the program is only on its 2nd yr.
2. Same guy, next day. Explained at lunch why he chose psych in terms of its similarities to another specialty.
3. Same guy, in lounge: talked about how a teacher once tried to label him as having adhd. Thankfully his "well educated parents" informed the teacher that he was bored in that class... (btw, this tool was an AMG and i keep thinking about the fact that he will be ranked higher than me. Ugh!)
4. Different person, at dinner. Asked resident how call schedule is with it being a new program. He was an IMG. He seemed like a nice guy and I hope he doesn't take that risk again.
5. Some of the answers people gave at lunch when asked "why psych?" were very difficult to follow and didn't really answer the question.
6. Most people were not 15 minutes early. (As a fellow Rossie, I know OP understands that less than 15 minutes early is officially late)

No one ordered alcoholic drinks at the dinner. I was quite relieved to order water!

Some of the things people said.
1. Guy asked pc at dinner: how many psych residents per year? Seriously. Look at the web site. Extra bad because he seemed absolutely unaware that the program is only on its 2nd yr.
2. Same guy, next day. Explained at lunch why he chose psych in terms of its similarities to another specialty.
3. Same guy, in lounge: talked about how a teacher once tried to label him as having adhd. Thankfully his "well educated parents" informed the teacher that he was bored in that class... (btw, this tool was an AMG and i keep thinking about the fact that he will be ranked higher than me. Ugh!)
4. Different person, at dinner. Asked resident how call schedule is with it being a new program. He was an IMG. He seemed like a nice guy and I hope he doesn't take that risk again.
5. Some of the answers people gave at lunch when asked "why psych?" were very difficult to follow and didn't really answer the question.
6. Most people were not 15 minutes early. (As a fellow Rossie, I know OP understands that less than 15 minutes early is officially late)

No one ordered alcoholic drinks at the dinner. I was quite relieved to order water!
Hahahah... what a variety of people out there. I find it amazing to meet the highly-qualified applicants there on interview day.
-Most recent blooper.
1. When an interviewee mentioned the wrong program name when asking a question.
2. I saw a girl who is tall pull off a mini pencil skirt (half thigh length).

Its nice to learn from your experiences @valid username

2. I saw a girl who is tall pull off a mini pencil skirt (half thigh length).

This tests my patience. It makes me want to pull her aside and lecture her everytime I see it. I am a woman, and I view this nonsense as a big backward step that I never agreed to. All women present get judged when even one of us does this. I can't think of an equivalent stupid thing that males do to business dress.

Women do not get treated as equals. Behavior like this is used as justification for assuming that women are incompetent until proven otherwise. Dress professionally!!!

What can i say....:shrug:

During the interview trail and rotation during this season..... talking about interviews is taboo to some. Its tough to be open and share experiences, when others think that you are bragging or giving away too much information for others to have the heads up. Hence i go on sdn. My significant other is also applying this match, but another specialty as he too shares this feeling.

Its a tense time for all and for some who don't have an extravagent amount of interviews... and it might seem like self-esteem issue. I get it... so people become quiet and vague in answers.

Im not in anyway to give advice, as I have not signed a contract. However, if someone has read the struggles that i have been through and can relate.... please feel free to ask questions.

Interview season is tough. No argument. But, 4th year of medical school is still the easiest you're gonna have it... for the rest of your life. Enjoy it while you can. And focus on yourself. It's easy to get distracted by what others are doing. But, the people you're parading in front of aren't as dumb as you think. We see through it.

For example...

At the hospital I am at there is a particularly attractive Intern who started this past July. She doesn't try to be attractive. She just happens to be tall, thin, and blonde with a nice face. I actually feel a little bad for her because invariably some people are going to judge her acumen (or lack thereof) based on superficial qualities. And, with everything that's been going on in the media lately, they'd better be careful.

Point is, life isn't fair. Some are cosmically blessed with physical attributes that the majority of the population find desirable. Many of them are taught to play that up during their lives. Just don't let that become a detractor on or reflection of your self-esteem. Be confident, yet humble. Know what your talking about, and admit when you don't. And let people get to know you for you. Then it doesn't matter about pencil skirts or chiseled chests or blonde hair or whatever. We want people who are (1) honest, (2) not afraid of work, and (3) have sound judgment. We'll teach you the rest. Everything else is noise.

-Skip

Words of wisdom. Thanks @skipintro

Hey guys! I’m a recent Ross medical school grad who’s on the residency interview trail. The school is no joke dumb stupid difficult, but it’s definitely doable! I’ve had good friends who failed out, and some who are now residents all over the country. PM me if y’all have any questions!

So on the grand scheme of things.... now its just a waiting game for second looks and Match Day.

For the start of this Holiday Season, I would like to take a chance to explain to the younger semesters and those looking into Ross on the timeline of graduation and making the match year of the year you graduate.

I remember specifically, on the first day of "class" on the island Sept 2014, every student in the room heard that "We will NOT be eligible to Match 2018" because of our time constraints. Everyone was like "WTF" how come the math doesn't add up. There's 16 months on the island + another 22 months in US clinicals, so how come we can't make it? So what the school reps will tell you is that "it all depends on what you choose and your timeline". No one knows what that entails until you live through the years with Ross.

Some things that can modify your timeline (lengthen or shorten):
-obviously... if you take leave of absence (includes the paperwork for approval and the time for you to get approved back into school)
-obviously... if you choose the accelerated track (4 semesters: 16 months) or (5 semesters: 20 months)
-Did you have to retake Comp exam?
-Did you get all the paperwork in for ECFMG to register step 1?
-How many months your take to study for step 1?
-How long is the wait time between you completing step 1 until the time you start IMF (this happens Jan, March, May, July, Sept, Nov)
-Did you have to retake step 1 after finding out you failed during IMF?
-How long was the wait time between IMF and when your track core rotations start?
-Did you fail any of your shelves? (if so, you have to wait until the end of your track year to retake it)
-Did you fill out all the ECFMG paperwork on time before the holidays if you are at the tail end to make it for match?
-Did you submit MSPE stuff and ps?
-Did you fail comp exam for step 2 ck?
-Where you able to find a slot for step 2 cs (limited spots avail)?
-How long did you take to study step 2 ck?
-Did you fail step 2 ck?
-Where you able to book your necessary elective and sub-i? (must have 3 months IM acgme)
-Did you pass step 2 cs/ck?
-Can you fit all the required electives/sub-i into the year before end of April deadline?
-Did you get all the LOR?

So, if you work diligently and stay on top of all the paperwork for Ross and ECFMG... you will make it. Trust me, especially if you are at the tail end to make it into match... you definitely need to make the months of Feb-Aug count. Many students fail to go into their year for match because of things that they had control over (step 2cs/ck paperwork) and etc. It costs more to stay out of the match because you have no more loans to rely on. However, enter the match if you completed all the necessities at par at the minimum. After Submitting in September, you wait for interviews and coast through your electives. GL ROSSIES:claps::highfive::soexcited::banana:

Amazed at how far you've come, hmania. Approaching the finish line now (or, at least the starting line for the next part of your journey). Good luck and keep us posted!

-Skip

Today is the opening of the Match Ranking List!!!!!!!!! Finally, I get to make and submit my decision of where I would like to spend the next 3 years of my life!

Recap: I had overall 20 interview invites and only attended 12 due to financial restraints (Yep, Ross screwed many of us over because financial aid is according to weeks and not by semester)

I know which one is my #1 and which ones will be the bottom. I am solely basing this on how much I felt "at home" during my interview. Trust me, there are some programs on my list that I hope I do not have to resort to because of how miserable the residents look. Now the problem is the programs in between 1 -12. Those are tough to gauge. Hope I place the correct bet and get in somewhere. Now the waiting game of 9 more weeks.:highfive: Good luck to everyone going through this tumultuous time.

Today is the opening of the Match Ranking List!!!!!!!!! Finally, I get to make and submit my decision of where I would like to spend the next 3 years of my life!

Recap: I had overall 20 interview invites and only attended 12 due to financial restraints (Yep, Ross screwed many of us over because financial aid is according to weeks and not by semester)

I know which one is my #1 and which ones will be the bottom. I am solely basing this on how much I felt "at home" during my interview. Trust me, there are some programs on my list that I hope I do not have to resort to because of how miserable the residents look. Now the problem is the programs in between 1 -12. Those are tough to gauge. Hope I place the correct bet and get in somewhere. Now the waiting game of 9 more weeks.:highfive: Good luck to everyone going through this tumultuous time.
Its amazing to see how you started this thread almost 5 years ago while applying to Ross, and now you're submitting your residency rank list. Best of luck!

Congrats on applying for residency. Best of luck! Could you tell me about your Ross experience? I’m interviewing for the this month!

Congrats on applying for residency. Best of luck! Could you tell me about your Ross experience? I’m interviewing for the this month!

Hey Areuben2, I guess you are shopping around for caribbean schools and have not chosen one. During my residency interviews, one place said that they want to stand out and be unique and will tell me the reasons why I should NOT go to their program. I felt that approach was fantastic. I will attempt to do the same:

Why not to go to ROSS....
1. High attrition rates... it is the truth when the representatives on the first day of class say "look to your left and look to your right, someone by the end of the 2nd year will not be continuing this journey with you".

2. Lower residency match in comparison to American schools. This is obviously the truth. Even though we have high match rates, you have to keep in mind how many people have NOT matched the first time and how many students graduate a year and did not attempt to match.

3. Residency matching into Fantastic specialties that are not primary care are quite rare. It is done, but very few.

4. You are taught to be self-sufficient. No hand holding or spoon-fed approach are seen. This is not an entirely bad thing. But you must always keep up with the policies, paperwork, homework, studies, and timeline. Ross will tell you by email, but by then it is already too late.

5. Exams written by professors at Ross are 75% significant to the REAL WORLD. The other 25% are questions that are debatable and opinion heavy that are base on what they believe is important (nutrition, ethics, stats). Those questions are the ones that are thrown out the door.

6. The subjects that is UNDER- taught is STATISTICS. Lets just say.... majority of ROSSIES step 1 and step 2 scores suffer here.

7. You cannot step into New Jersey and Pennsylvania to do electives. They are SGU heavy hospitals.

8.Professors at ROSS in Dominica are PHD and rarely MD or DO. So they know physiology, but the clinic aspect is lacking.

9.70% of Hospitals that are track program or elective sites are normally in poor deprived conditions. Meaning they have little resources and anxillary staff are horrible

10. OSPD TEAM- the ones Ross has hired to make sure students are on track to match. Their goal: keep ROSS match rate high! So they ask for our step scores and CV and which specialty you would like to go into. However, lets just say you are not the cookie cutter applicant, then they will suggest you a parallel plan. They are just trying to be real with you and bring you back to Earth with your choices. There are some Ross students who dream a bit too high for what they have. But the thing that makes everyone angry is that they always suggest to apply to FM and Psych as your parallel. This is done even though you hate these specialties. BTW, these specialties are getting more competitive and screening progress by the programs can smell the fakers. The choice/decision is up to you. It is your time and money. OSPD team could not even explain to me how the application ERAS works or what it would look like. So its up to you to listen.

That is all that I have. Cheers and choose wisely.
-mania'

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Areuben2, I guess you are shopping around for caribbean schools and have not chosen one. During my residency interviews, one place said that they want to stand out and be unique and will tell me the reasons why I should NOT go to their program. I felt that approach was fantastic. I will attempt to do the same:

Why not to go to ROSS....
1. High attrition rates... it is the truth when the representatives on the first day of class say "look to your left and look to your right, someone by the end of the 2nd year will not be continuing this journey with you".

2. Lower residency match in comparison to American schools. This is obviously the truth. Even though we have high match rates, you have to keep in mind how many people have NOT matched the first time and how many students graduate a year and did not attempt to match.

3. Residency matching into Fantastic specialties that are not primary care are quite rare. It is done, but very few.

4. You are taught to be self-sufficient. No hand holding or spoon-fed approach are seen. This is not an entirely bad thing. But you must always keep up with the policies, paperwork, homework, studies, and timeline. Ross will tell you by email, but by then it is already too late.

5. Exams written by professors at Ross are 75% significant to the REAL WORLD. The other 25% are questions that are debatable and opinion heavy that are base on what they believe is important (nutrition, ethics, stats). Those questions are the ones that are thrown out the door.

6. The subjects that is UNDER- taught is STATISTICS. Lets just say.... majority of ROSSIES step 1 and step 2 scores suffer here.

7. You cannot step into New Jersey and Pennsylvania to do electives. They are SGU heavy hospitals.

8.Professors at ROSS in Dominica are PHD and rarely MD or DO. So they know physiology, but the clinic aspect is lacking.

9.70% of Hospitals that are track program or elective sites are normally in poor deprived conditions. Meaning they have little resources and anxillary staff are horrible

10. OSPD TEAM- the ones Ross has hired to make sure students are on track to match. Their goal: keep ROSS match rate high! So they ask for our step scores and CV and which specialty you would like to go into. However, lets just say you are not the cookie cutter applicant, then they will suggest you a parallel plan. They are just trying to be real with you and bring you back to Earth with your choices. There are some Ross students who dream a bit too high for what they have. But the thing that makes everyone angry is that they always suggest to apply to FM and Psych as your parallel. This is done even though you hate these specialties. BTW, these specialties are getting more competitive and screening progress by the programs can smell the fakers. The choice/decision is up to you. It is your time and money. OSPD team could not even explain to me how the application ERAS works or what it would look like. So its up to you to listen.

That is all that I have. Cheers and choose wisely.
-mania'
If you knew these things before you started, would you have still chosen Ross? Do you recommend going to Ross at this point in time (2018 and beyond). I appied there and interviewed recently for the May class, now waiting on a response. I guess what really turns me off about the school is the uncertainty of whether classes are going to be in Dominica or Tennessee in May, and obviously the attrition and match rates. I also applied to SGU.

I guess what really turns me off about the school is the uncertainty of whether classes are going to be in Dominica or Tennessee in May, and obviously the attrition and match rates. I also applied to SGU.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Ross will not be back in Dominica before January 2019. There is still uncertainty about if they will actually return, but if they do it will not be before then. The thing you should be most concerned about is the uncertainty of their ability to retain federal loans and accredidation. Attrition and match rates are basically the same for all of the accredited Carib schools, as long as you pick an accredited program you will be fine. Just dont risk your future on Ross. You will regret it.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Ross will not be back in Dominica before January 2019. There is still uncertainty about if they will actually return, but if they do it will not be before then. The thing you should be most concerned about is the uncertainty of their ability to retain federal loans and accredidation. Attrition and match rates are basically the same for all of the accredited Carib schools, as long as you pick an accredited program you will be fine. Just dont risk your future on Ross. You will regret it.
I've seen you say this before. Why won't they be able to maintain eligibility for federal loans and accreditation?