Ross University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmania

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
About 2 weeks ago, I submitted my applications and not all of the transcripts arrived at Ross. However, today at 3-ish pm I received an email saying that all of my official document has arrived. About 5 minutes later, I received another email INVITING me for a formal interview! :confused: I mean I am overly excited, but skeptical at the same time. First thing that went through my head was that its a scam email. But I looked it up and sure enough Joseph Rooney was on their website.

Just wondering if anyone had experience that? And if you went with the interview and got in.... would you give me pointers about the questions and your HONEST experience at Ross Univ.?

I have a high GPA, LOW MCAT.:( Has 2 years of research, and shadowed 3 doctors, and had high recommendations from the health committee at my university.

Members don't see this ad.

Ross, owned by DeVry, is a very for-profit institution. They bring in a lot of students, and the fail rate is high. It's a very expensive gamble. Of the Carib med schools, SGU and Ross are the best. However, it might be preferable to retake the MCAT or go the DO route.

Expanding further on this and to put it a slightly different way...

(1) You got the interview based purely by what was on paper, and the fact is that such a decision can get boiled down to a few parameters in a few minutes. Tacky the way you were notified? Maybe a little. (Ross is not in the business of being coy, after all.)

(2) Unless you have something seriously, deeply wrong with you that can't be hidden during the interview, you will also likely get a spot.

Now, I agree with the fact that Ross is as much a business as it is a "university". But, without going off on too much of a tangent and rant here, the U.S.-style M.D. is essentially a graduate technical degree that, if you have adequate intelligence and motivation, you can master no matter where you learn it. There's really nothing special or highfalutin about it, despite what Harvard or Johns Hopkins or Stanford would want you to believe. You get in, you learn the material, you take the tests, you become a doctor. This sequence must occur no matter which program you go if you want to practice here.

In that regard, Ross will likely give you a chance to go that path. The rest will be up to you. Like many who've walked in your footsteps before, I'm at least one anecdote and living example that it can be done, and they will deliver. And, my experience was essentially the same as yours, even to the point you are at now and even way back in 2001.

If a formula works, no need to change.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

(1) You got the interview based purely by what was on paper, and the fact is that such a decision can get boiled down to a few parameters in a few minutes. Tacky the way you were notified? Maybe a little. (Ross is not in the business of being coy, after all.)

(2) Unless you have something seriously, deeply wrong with you that can't be hidden during the interview, you will also likely get a spot.

Now, I agree with the fact that Ross is as much a business as it is a "university". But, without going off on too much of a tangent and rant here, the U.S.-style M.D. is essentially a graduate technical degree that, if you have adequate intelligence and motivation, you can master no matter where you learn it. There's really nothing special or highfalutin about it, despite what Harvard or Johns Hopkins or Stanford would want you to believe. You get in, you learn the material, you take the tests, you become a doctor. This sequence must occur no matter which program you go if you want to practice here.

In that regard, Ross will likely give you a chance to go that path. The rest will be up to you. Like many who've walked in your footsteps before, I'm at least one anecdote and living example that it can be done, and they will deliver. And, my experience was essentially the same as yours, even to the point you are at now and even way back in 2001.

-Skip

Thanks for your encouragement that I rarely see on this forum! What was your experience like at ROSS?

I don't understand how Ross is considered one of the big four schools if their admission requirements are so low (low 2.0s GPA and Mcat in the low 20s getting acceptances). Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Anyways, where does the interview happen? Is it through phone, Skype, or do they have certain offices? I live in Canada and I can't find out if I would have to travel somewhere or if it would be through phone.

mine is face to face at a nursing building in Houston. I heard of some people having their interview in miami and new jersey

I don't understand how Ross is considered one of the big four schools if their admission requirements are so low (low 2.0s GPA and Mcat in the low 20s getting acceptances). Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Anyways, where does the interview happen? Is it through phone, Skype, or do they have certain offices? I live in Canada and I can't find out if I would have to travel somewhere or if it would be through phone.
I don't believe that you are correct with low gpa and mcat the best you would do is MERP.

-Skip

2001 is a very different time from today.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1475200

OP, PLEASE read that article and consider very carefully what you are doing. A decade or two ago, sure the carrib was a decent option, but 4 years from now, the prospect of landing a residency is slim.

I know waiting a year sucks, but trust me, its way better than graduating with 200k of debt and no way to repay it.

OP, PLEASE read that article and consider very carefully what you are doing. A decade or two ago, sure the carrib was a decent option, but 4 years from now, the prospect of landing a residency is slim.

I know waiting a year sucks, but trust me, its way better than graduating with 200k of debt and no way to repay it.

Please don't tell others "trust me" as if you've somehow been through the Carib and have 1st hand experience. Where you got that information from is from the pre-med forum where someone posted this article. I can't tell you the number of times i've seen that article being posted by a pre-med.

Key: this person has not asked for your help to decide whether or not they want to go to the Carib. They've already made their decision, this is the part where you answer their question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The same essential argument, with various different iterations, has be made since the now larger, better established Caribbean schools were opened in the late 1970's.

We discussed this previously on this forum not that long ago, and the numbers simply are not meted out by this JAMA article. You may have more trouble if you need a J-1 or H-1b visa to come do a residency, but if you are already a U.S. citizen this will likely be less problematic for you.

Not saying that it won't get tighter, but I heavily considered similar concerns and arguments when I started in 2001. The only thing that will shut this "alternative pathway" down is if and when Congress decides to defund these schools from the FFEL program.

-Skip

Wow, it has been a couple of days since I checked this forum. I should check it more often. I am having my interview this Thursday and Medstart is right that I am pretty much sold on going to Ross if they accept me. Which I hope so. If I get an offer from a U.S. school than you bet I am going to stay in America.

At this point in my game I really do have options still, but I am determined to get into medical school this coming year if possible. I am actually nervous for this interview. I have always had a hard time opening up to strangers, but I feel if the "openess" is forged than the interviewer will see it right away. Any tips?

What was your experience like at ROSS?

It was not a Sunday stroll through the park. It was high-stress, continuous studying, and trying to figure out what parts of the material were important to focus on. You will make some new lifelong friends, but don't get distracted.

The food is terrible. The island is essentially a third-world country. There is crime. Live as close to campus as possible. Bring stuff you like... but not too much. Don't buy a microscope. Figure out a way to get through the 16 months on the Dominica campus without any set-backs. Go home after each semester.

You will appreciate far more what you have here in the U.S. after your time there.

Good luck!

-Skip

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

-Skip

Hello Skip. I'm also considering the Caribbean option and I wanted to know how coming over with this background may have limited your options in the U.S., if it has. And if you don't mind me asking,what is your specialty?

Hello Skip. I'm also considering the Caribbean option and I wanted to know how coming over with this background may have limited your options in the U.S., if it has. And if you don't mind me asking,what is your specialty?

"Limited" my options recognizing that I would have to be very competitive in order to get a good residency, which I did in anesthesiology and am now board-certified, in private practice, and enjoying the good life in a good specialty... with no daily questions questions asked about my competency or ability to perform whatever case they put in front of me from simple appendectomies to liver transplants (not that I do the latter anymore since finishing residency).

-Skip

"Limited" my options recognizing that I would have to be very competitive in order to get a good residency, which I did in anesthesiology and am now board-certified, in private practice, and enjoying the good life in a good specialty... with no daily questions questions asked about my competency or ability to perform whatever case they put in front of me from simple appendectomies to liver transplants (not that I do the latter anymore since finishing residency).

-Skip

Well that is certainly refreshing to hear. As someone without many connections in the domestic medical world, I was a bit troubled to read of so much negativity surrounding Caribbean medical schools. If I were to pursue this route, I know I'll have to deal with the constant inquires about my competency, etc but so long as I can go about my career unimpeded, I couldn't give a damn.

I suppose my next and final question will be about your methodology for picking a school. Obviously, they are not created equal and I've had a difficult time in doing objective research on them. As much as I've been in contact with two of the alleged top four, UMHS in St. Kitts has been of particular interest. They are a new school and allegedly have a 98% residency placement for graduates but I have no real way of verifying this through independent sources. Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

Stick with a school that has a long track record of getting their graduates into top residency spots.*

-Skip

(*By the Caribbean standards.)

Stick with a school that has a long track record of getting their graduates into top residency spots.*

-Skip

(*By the Caribbean standards.)

My interview day with Ross Univ did not go as planned last Thursday. It was cancelled last minute because of some details and had to book a last minute flight and hotel to fly to Chicago by Monday. Luckily, I was sponsored to go because the last minute flight was nearly $1200. I got there and interviewed with Leslie. I thought the interview went well, but one question got me. I couldn't answer it and told her that I would get back to her. Left the interview and felt uneasy because of my low MCAT score and that one question that I couldn't answer. It was eating at me this entire week and the thought of having to deal with it for an entire 3-4 weeks was hard to deal with.

So like any other pre-med, I googled to see if anyone has made it into Ross with a 20 on the MCAT. Yeah, I know pretty pathetic and supporting of the stigma "that you would drop out within a month or you wouldn't pass step 1 or 2". Interviewer did ask me about it, but I remained focused and told her that even though my MCAT was not up to par, I applied to Ross because of the quality education that bases it selection of qualified students whom are well rounded and hard working as evident in my Cumulative GPA and Science GPA all of which is 3.7.

5 days later at 2:15am- I got an email stating that I was accepted into ROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and as a bonus my AACOMAS application was just verified! I hope with much luck and prayers that I get an interview with a DO school, but if it doesn't work out than ROSS here I come!!

SKIP Intro- I really need advice from where to live, travel, tuition costs, and food! That would be awesome if you could help!:love:

SKIP Intro- I really need advice from where to live, travel, tuition costs, and food! That would be awesome if you could help!:love:

Congratulations and good luck however it works out for you.

If you do wind up at Ross, there are a ton of people who can help you with where you're going to live. But, my overall advice is go a week early before class starts and get a choice spot on Lizard Trail or somewhere close. Also, it will let you have a chance to settle in and relax for a couple of days.

I'm freaking out about matching into ANY residency let alone a top one. If I graduate from a caribbean school I'll be labeled an IMG. Even with competitive board scores, will it still be difficult to match being an IMG?

No More IMGs for Residency Training Programs After 2015, Says Journal of American Medical Associationhttp://www.medicalopedia.org/3946/no-more-imgs-for-residency-training-programs-after-2015-says-journal-of-american-medical-association/

Please, for the love of God, stop quoting that f****** editorial (and that's all it is). They have no clue what is going to happen, and it's just a bald-faced lie at this point to claim otherwise.

-Skip

I'm clueless and anxious with good reason, there's so much conflicting information out there. No one has a clue what will happen and that's what makes it so terrifying. Supposedly they will create more residency positions, but how do I know if or when that will happen? I'm still optimistic though and will probably apply to caribbean schools. Do you know what percentage of students are non-traditionals?

I'm clueless and anxious with good reason

Yeah, welcome to medical education. Nobody knows what's really going on, ever. That's pretty much the case everywhere.

No one has a clue what will happen and that's what makes it so terrifying.

This is true of medicine in general, and not just right now. There is always some nebulous terror looming beyond tomorrow's horizon. If you're referring specifically to the US reform, take heart in knowing that, while medical knowledge changes rapidly, the system is slow to keep up. IMG's aren't going to be knocked out of the running overnight.

Do you know what percentage of students are non-traditionals?

Can't speak for Ross, but at SGU I'd say roughly 15% of students are non-traditionals. And that's a lot, considering our current term has about 700 students in it.

Congratulations and good luck however it works out for you.

If you do wind up at Ross, there are a ton of people who can help you with where you're going to live. But, my overall advice is go a week early before class starts and get a choice spot on Lizard Trail or somewhere close. Also, it will let you have a chance to settle in and relax for a couple of days.

Please, for the love of God, stop quoting that f****** editorial (and that's all it is). They have no clue what is going to happen, and it's just a bald-faced lie at this point to claim otherwise.

-Skip
I know the world comes to an end for IMG's in 2015 and beyond SGU is already taking down the painting on the walls and having a garage sale for all there medical equipment.

I'm clueless and anxious with good reason, there's so much conflicting information out there. No one has a clue what will happen and that's what makes it so terrifying. Supposedly they will create more residency positions, but how do I know if or when that will happen? I'm still optimistic though and will probably apply to caribbean schools. Do you know what percentage of students are non-traditionals?

Start reading this thread at this point in the discussion:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13848849#post13848849

I broke the numbers down.

Fact is, there WILL be fewer spots for "alternate pathway" graduates, but there are still more spots being added. The people who are going to have the toughest time are the ones who will require some sort of visa to train in residency here. If you are already a U.S. citizen, this is one hurdle you won't have to worry about jumping over.

Your best bet is to get into a U.S. medical school. But, remember that osteopathy students are still considered to be independent applicants by the NRMP.

Again, no one knows exactly what is going to happen after 2015 - not even the people making the rules and calling the shots - at this point. Is it becoming more of a gamble to go to the Caribbean? Maybe. Probably.

But, the fact is that Caribbean graduates who have successfully navigated their way through the system jumping through all of the hoops will likely still find somewhere to train in the U.S. As I've said numerous times (almost to the point of being a broken record), though, expect to do that training in some form of primary care.

If your heart is set on being a neurosurgeon, do whatever you can to get into a U.S. medical school (and still don't be surprised if it doesn't happen for you... that's probably the most competitive specialty).

-Skip

Thanks so much for that info Skip and Ben! It's really nice of you to share that information. I don't know if the interest in primary care has gone up, but providing primary care to patients is the only thing I have a passion for and interested in pursuing, so I'm not worried about trying to get into some competitive specialty.

Thanks so much for that info Skip and Ben! It's really nice of you to share that information. I don't know if the interest in primary care has gone up, but providing primary care to patients is the only thing I have a passion for and interested in pursuing, so I'm not worried about trying to get into some competitive specialty.

Kudos for primary care!!!!!!!!!

To any Ross Alumni,
I was wondering. Is there any vacation time/break time during the first 4 semesters of Medical school at Ross? Particularly, holidays... Christmas... Thanksgiving etc...? Or are you stuck there on the island for 16 months until the clinical semesters?:scared:

Please don't tell others "trust me" as if you've somehow been through the Carib and have 1st hand experience. Where you got that information from is from the pre-med forum where someone posted this article. I can't tell you the number of times i've seen that article being posted by a pre-med.

Key: this person has not asked for your help to decide whether or not they want to go to the Carib. They've already made their decision, this is the part where you answer their question.

I actually researched heavily into Carrib and don't use SDN as a main source. And just because you've seen the article doesn't want to make it any less true. If you wish to disregard, that's your prerogative, but OP should have all of the facts.

The same essential argument, with various different iterations, has be made since the now larger, better established Caribbean schools were opened in the late 1970's.

We discussed this previously on this forum not that long ago, and the numbers simply are not meted out by this JAMA article. You may have more trouble if you need a J-1 or H-1b visa to come do a residency, but if you are already a U.S. citizen this will likely be less problematic for you.

Not saying that it won't get tighter, but I heavily considered similar concerns and arguments when I started in 2001. The only thing that will shut this "alternative pathway" down is if and when Congress decides to defund these schools from the FFEL program.

-Skip

Yeah but the number of US schools were stagnant compared to now

https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/12-237 EnrollmSurvey2013.pdf

There's been an unprecedented inc. in schools. And there are many other safer alternative pathways, but meh. It was a simple warning and I don't want to debate.

Wow, it has been a couple of days since I checked this forum. I should check it more often. I am having my interview this Thursday and Medstart is right that I am pretty much sold on going to Ross if they accept me. Which I hope so. If I get an offer from a U.S. school than you bet I am going to stay in America.

At this point in my game I really do have options still, but I am determined to get into medical school this coming year if possible. I am actually nervous for this interview. I have always had a hard time opening up to strangers, but I feel if the "openess" is forged than the interviewer will see it right away. Any tips?

Search for common questions like "Why medicine?" or "Why this school?" and be prepared to answer for any inadequacies (such as your MCAT) and how it isn't predictive of your success. Most interviews I went on were pretty relaxed and if you have an interview it means they think you can handle the academics, but just want to get to know you. So just see it as a relaxed conversation.

But if you're dead set on Carrib, SGU would be a better option for you. They seem to have a better match rate plus they seem to have some people do well within the match. My cousin seems to enjoy it over there and they're accepting for the entering class in January.

And, if you dig further into the numbers, you'll realize that it's not even close to the number of spots that are out there. There's no way that U.S. schools can add enough spots to close that gap. There's just not enough potential candidates in the U.S. who are qualified, or interested (for that matter).

I discussed this in length sometime back:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13859757#post13859757

Furthermore, there have been more GME spots - not less - each year consistently since the 1980's. Why would this change based on the forecasted massive doctor shortage looming over the next 10 to 30 years?

There's been an unprecedented inc. in schools. And there are many other safer alternative pathways, but meh. It was a simple warning and I don't want to debate.

There's no debate. The fact that there are more U.S. schools still won't close the gap. People who write these articles have an agenda.

So, if your desire is to warn people, my advice is to provide a better, more in-depth analysis of what exactly you're warning them about.

-Skip

I actually researched heavily into Carrib and don't use SDN as a main source. And just because you've seen the article doesn't want to make it any less true. If you wish to disregard, that's your prerogative, but OP should have all of the facts.

Search for common questions like "Why medicine?" or "Why this school?" and be prepared to answer for any inadequacies (such as your MCAT) and how it isn't predictive of your success. Most interviews I went on were pretty relaxed and if you have an interview it means they think you can handle the academics, but just want to get to know you. So just see it as a relaxed conversation.

But if you're dead set on Carrib, SGU would be a better option for you. They seem to have a better match rate plus they seem to have some people do well within the match. My cousin seems to enjoy it over there and they're accepting for the entering class in January.

Thanks, I already got into Ross =) I have thought of SGU, but I know some alumni from Ross.

On a different note, I just wanted to put this out there
http://www.rossu.edu/news/RUSM-Responds-to-Bloomberg-Article.cfm

Do you have an answer for the previous post?:laugh:

To any Ross Alumni,
I was wondering. Is there any vacation time/break time during the first 4 semesters of Medical school at Ross? Particularly, holidays... Christmas... Thanksgiving etc...? Or are you stuck there on the island for 16 months until the clinical semesters?:scared:

Still need answer :love:

From the article posted above:

"Program completion: Student attrition is an important issue. A review of recent cohorts that have matured to graduation shows that Ross's attrition rate is about 26%"

This is incredibly scary.

Thanks, I already got into Ross =) I have thought of SGU, but I know some alumni from Ross.

On a different note, I just wanted to put this out there
http://www.rossu.edu/news/RUSM-Responds-to-Bloomberg-Article.cfm

Do you have an answer for the previous post?:laugh:

There is a big difference between simply getting a spot and getting a desirable spot. There are GME spots out there, but for most IMGs, its going to be either FM or IM in undesirable locations. Some places (for instance NY) do prefer IMGs over DOs but overall you'll have options of where and what to train for here in the US.

I do have other articles here:

Forbes take on the issue:
http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/01/medical-students-residencies/

AAMC's release about the match:
https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/276900/120316.html

AAMC's data on number of USIMGs that participated and matched:
https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/2000/87974/000316.html

Of the 2,169 U.S. citizen graduates of foreign medical schools (U.S. IMGs) who participated in the Match this year, 1,114 students or 51.4 percent, matched. This is an increase from 47.4 percent last year. U.S. IMGs are U.S. citizens who attend medical schools outside the United States and Canada.

As Skip said, in a way USIMGs are getting the upper hand since Most places no longer want to go through the difficulties of sponsoring FMGs when USIMGs are much easier to take in.

For me personally, ~51% chance of matching is a scary figure and each year of not matching makes it progressively harder to ever match.

Anyways good luck at Ross. If you believe you're better than your classmates and can be at the top of the class then go for it. I was simply trying to be helpful, but its your personal choice. If FM/IM is your dream and you don't care where you'll end up, then you should be fine.

Last edited:
I do have other articles here:

Forbes take on the issue:
http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/01/medical-students-residencies/

AAMC's release about the match:
https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/276900/120316.html

AAMC's data on number of USIMGs that participated and matched:
https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/2000/87974/000316.html

Remember what I said:

People who write these articles have an agenda.

-Skip

To any Ross Alumni,

still waiting. :love:

You get a 2 weeks break between semesters. As far as I remember you do get stat holidays off.

Thanks!
What is the best airline to book to get to Dominica? RossU said to use the Austin travels agency.... has anyone tried to book their own flight? Also, how are the living situations at Ross? What is included with the room and what isn't? I was thinking to live on campus because of safety reasons. Food.... I see that Subway and Barf shacks are choices... is cooking an option?

-Any full answer is appreciated!

Thanks!
What is the best airline to book to get to Dominica? RossU said to use the Austin travels agency.... has anyone tried to book their own flight? Also, how are the living situations at Ross? What is included with the room and what isn't? I was thinking to live on campus because of safety reasons. Food.... I see that Subway and Barf shacks are choices... is cooking an option?

-Any full answer is appreciated!

(1) You do not have to book on Austin. This is the easiest way, though. American Eagle (American Airlines commuter service) flies in and out of Dominica. LIAT also flies in and out of Dominica. I booked my own travel. Remember (or realize, if you didn't already know) that the airport in Dominica is not lighted and does not have night time service. If you book yourself and depending on where you are traveling from, you may have to spend the night in Puerto Rico.

(2) The living situation in Dominica is essentially third-world. Live close to campus. Most rooms have a window air conditioner, which you will probably use a lot in the warmer months. It is very hot and humid there. The classrooms are all air conditioned. Bottled water will become your best friend, but a lot of students filled their empty bottles on campus at the filtered water fountains. The water out of the taps runs brown, especially after rain storms. You will not want to drink this. Period. Most of the showers have a heater built into the shower head, as they don't have hot water tanks. The best thing to do is also to get someone to do your laundry. Be careful, though, and ask where they wash your clothes because some of them will provide this service by washing your clothes in the local rivers (which are really streams, but Dominican pride makes them call them "rivers"). You will see people washing clothes in the rivers. Regularly.

(3) The food is terrible. And expensive. I lost about 18 pounds the first two semesters I was there, which I guess is okay if you need to lose weight. There are some decent places at "The Shacks", but you can buy some interesting items in the local grocery stores to cook if you want. I got sick more than a few times from the food.

It's not for the feint of heart. But, if you choose to go this route, it will make you tougher. A lot of people really enjoyed their time there. I saw it as a time to study and put it behind me. This motivated me to make sure that the required four semesters were the only amount of time I was going to spend there. But, other people got off of the plane, went through customs, and turned around and got right back on the plane to fly home. One girl made it one week. Really. If you have time (and the money), take a week and go down there to check it out before you make your decision. I know a lot of people can't do this (and I didn't before I went), but this will solidify your decision as the right one... or make you change your mind. Either way, I survived it. And, I'm a better person for it.

Good luck!

-Skip

(1) You do not have to book on Austin. This is the easiest way, though. American Eagle (American Airlines commuter service) flies in and out of Dominica. LIAT also flies in and out of Dominica. I booked my own travel. Remember (or realize, if you didn't already know) that the airport in Dominica is not lighted and does not have night time service. If you book yourself and depending on where you are traveling from, you may have to spend the night in Puerto Rico.

(2) The living situation in Dominica is essentially third-world. Live close to campus. Most rooms have a window air conditioner, which you will probably use a lot in the warmer months. It is very hot and humid there. The classrooms are all air conditioned. Bottled water will become your best friend, but a lot of students filled their empty bottles on campus at the filtered water fountains. The water out of the taps runs brown, especially after rain storms. You will not want to drink this. Period. Most of the showers have a heater built into the shower head, as they don't have hot water tanks. The best thing to do is also to get someone to do your laundry. Be careful, though, and ask where they wash your clothes because some of them will provide this service by washing your clothes in the local rivers (which are really streams, but Dominican pride makes them call them "rivers"). You will see people washing clothes in the rivers. Regularly.

(3) The food is terrible. And expensive. I lost about 18 pounds the first two semesters I was there, which I guess is okay if you need to lose weight. There are some decent places at "The Shacks", but you can buy some interesting items in the local grocery stores to cook if you want. I got sick more than a few times from the food.

It's not for the feint of heart. But, if you choose to go this route, it will make you tougher. A lot of people really enjoyed their time there. I saw it as a time to study and put it behind me. This motivated me to make sure that the required four semesters were the only amount of time I was going to spend there. But, other people got off of the plane, went through customs, and turned around and got right back on the plane to fly home. One girl made it one week. Really. If you have time (and the money), take a week and go down there to check it out before you make your decision. I know a lot of people can't do this (and I didn't before I went), but this will solidify your decision as the right one... or make you change your mind. Either way, I survived it. And, I'm a better person for it.

Good luck!

-Skip

1. I might travel to dominica in jan or feb to take a look at housing and everything.
2. I live in Texas : humid and hot are normal for me
3. Food is what I am worried about. Pepto bismo?

My main concerns are in regards to security, hurricanes, communicating with family back in US. As for 3rd world, I guess I can't really compare until I go there for myself. I have been to 3rd world countries... and I don't think anything can beat those places (no running water, and outhouses for the restroom)

But, other people got off of the plane, went through customs, and turned around and got right back on the plane to fly home. One girl made it one week.

Seriously? :rofl: You'd think they'd research it a little before going. What were they expecting?

Happens every term. Grenada isn't as bad as Dominica, and we still lost ~40 people in the first two weeks. This experience ain't for everybody.

Happens every term. Grenada isn't as bad as Dominica, and we still lost ~40 people in the first two weeks. This experience ain't for everybody.

I'm guessing its like the reality tv show "survivor".

Yes, Ross is for-profit, yes, it is definitely NOT for the faint of heart. BUT the quality of education is as good, if not better than the US. If for nothing else, Ross grads that survived "The Rock" have proven that they can handle the really tough stuff. Speaking from personal experience, I, as well as nearly every one of my close friends in my class passed ALL of the steps on their FIRST try, and ALL are very successful in their careers. They have all successfully completed residencies AS WELL AS fellowships.

To me, the ONLY reason I would try for a US school is the damn red-tape/bureaucracy we as FMGs encounter when getting licences/residencies in the US. However, this inconvenience is just that.....definitely do-able. Just be SURE you want to be a doctor. The current climate and forecast (IMHO) for medicine in general, US grad or FMG does not look favorable for docs. Mid-level providers are going to be in greater demand I think with ACA implementation since there are simply NOT enough docs, and there aren't enough schools or residencies to train enough docs to make up for the shortfall. Plus, it's cheaper for the gov't to pay NPs and PAs vs. MDs/DOs.

In my experience, those that never traveled outside of the US had a difficult time adjusting to life in Dominica. I saw several "brats" who couldn't tolerate the lack of conveniences they enjoyed in the US. No lie, Dominica IS a third world country, and we as US citizens must adjust. I can tell you though that since I have been there (2003 and 2010) there have been VAST improvements made to the campus and neighboring areas. Living there and going to med school IS possible. Just have to have the ability to adjust.

And to reference your prior post, I typically describe my experience on the Rock as going to Med school while playing "Survivor." Not ideal, but DEFINITELY builds character, exposes you to things you would NOT see in the states, and makes for a more tenacious residency candidate, IMHO : ) Hope that helps!!!

1. I might travel to dominica in jan or feb to take a look at housing and everything.
2. I live in Texas : humid and hot are normal for me
3. Food is what I am worried about. Pepto bismo?

My main concerns are in regards to security, hurricanes, communicating with family back in US. As for 3rd world, I guess I can't really compare until I go there for myself. I have been to 3rd world countries... and I don't think anything can beat those places (no running water, and outhouses for the restroom)
WELL SAID, Skip!!

anybody willing to reassure me?:love:

If you want to be a gastroenterologist, you will need to shine in an Internal Medicine program. You are looking at six years of training past completion of medical school.

This will require that you:

(1) Get through your medical school program without any hiccups.

(2) Get into a well-recognized Internal Medicine program, make connections, show interest in your GI months, and work on buddying-up to those Gastroenterologists who can write you a nice recommendation letter.

(3) Pass your Internal Medicine board-certification exam (written only) on the first attempt.

(4) Apply early (i.e., middle to end of second year of residency) to many GI programs.

(5) Be flexible and mobile and willing to move to where your program will be.

If you are planning on starting medical school soon, imagine what you will be doing ten years from now, because that's how long it's going to take. That is very hard for a lot of people to do, but it will be here sooner than you know it. And, always have a back-up plan. But, for right now your focus should not be on where you're going to be ten years from now but what you are doing right now to make sure you excel at all the hurdles you will have to jump between now and then.

Good luck!

-Skip