AUC Vs Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meme_123

Reaction score
Hello, I got a conditional acceptance into both schools. Which means I will be doing the MERP program first. I want to know everything about both school and how should I choose between them two?
Is it true that ross makes you repeat and pay for the entire semester if you fail one class or you can start semester two but still have to retake the failed class?
Is housing in ross very bad and they do not allow you to move out?
Is the internet connection in Barbados and st Marteen reliable or not?
How is life on the Islands, would you recommend it?
What about teaching style, I heard that ross has a weekly exam that you hardly have time to study for and they class size is huge?
are exams multichoice, short answer, or fill in the blanks?
Can you choose your roommates or maybe switch for dorm to another if you don’t like it?
Is it true that you have to reapply for housing every semester at ross?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I got a conditional acceptance into both schools. Which means I will be doing the MERP program first. I want to know everything about both school and how should I choose between them two?
You will not get any recommendations. I go to Ross and I don't recommend any Carib in general but if one has to go the only 2 that I would even entertain now is Ross or AUC. It is just personal preference, they are owned by the same parent company at the end of the day.
Is it true that ross makes you repeat and pay for the entire semester if you fail one class or you can start semester two but still have to retake the failed class?
Yes. There are only 2 "classes" per term, foundations of medicine and clinical skills. Foundations is the main thing with all the exams and systems based learning, clinical skill is as the name would suggest. You fail either of the two and you have to repeat that term in entirety, no matter if you passed either the first time around. You also get dismissed if you fail more than 1 semester and have to appeal to maybe be let back in.
Is housing in ross very bad and they do not allow you to move out?
It is fine, you can move out after semester 1. AirBnB housing in the same place on-campus housing is located is recommended since you can still utilize the shuttle to campus (20min w/o traffic, sometimes 45-1hr if in rush hour).
Is the internet connection in Barbados and st Marteen reliable or not?
Like 15-20mbps/sec, mostly stable. Might go out a couple times a semester for a little bit.
How is life on the Islands, would you recommend it?
Expensive, no I don't think anyone would recommend it. You aren't coming as a tourist but it is definitely livable.
What about teaching style, I heard that ross has a weekly exam that you hardly have time to study for and they class size is huge?
You have 3 exams and a cumulative final. There are no weekly exams at Ross.
are exams multichoice, short answer, or fill in the blanks?
MC. Final is now NBME questions that are also MC.
Can you choose your roommates or maybe switch for dorm to another if you don’t like it?
They weren't letting people do this d/t COVID but have allowed in the past. There is a house transfer window during the semester where you can move though.
Is it true that you have to reapply for housing every semester at ross?
No.

I don't recommend either. Even as the "tier 1" carib schools, they still have ~25-30% attrition and average grad will be over 400k in debt. Match rates are okay but mostly primary care, you have to be fine with that. If you haven't done years of reinvention for US schools do that first.

Reactions: 1 user