Ross University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A general question. How does the clinical rotations work at Ross? I know students come back to the U.S. to do their clinical rotations at affiliated hospitals, but do we get to choose or do we have to apply for specific hospitals and how does the selection/distribution process work. Also, would students be studying for their step 1 after they've returned to the U.S. and take it in the U.S.? Thanks for any reply :)

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first post at SDN.
Have my Ross Interview tomorrow. Any suggestions or questions i should prepare for?

-Pac-man

This is my first post at SDN.
Have my Ross Interview tomorrow. Any suggestions or questions i should prepare for?

-Pac-man

Hey Pac-man, how did your interview go? My interview is in two weeks, can you give me some insight on some of the questions asked or any suggestions?

-Ars-

Members don't see this ad :)
Wat's up people! its certainly been a long time. As per Skip Intro's request to update (and time for me to relax from studying) this is my experience of 1st semester.

1) Got to have a study schedule down (if you don't, find one). Many "firsties" get hyped up the first semester and lose steam by the end of the 2nd week. Why is that? Its not because they couldn't learn, but its because they don't have time to go back to review due to time management.

2) Don't count on a 62 as a the minimal passing score.... This May 2014 class had a 64 average. Trust me... the school officials who work here don't even know how that is calculated. So best bet... get at least a 70.

3)Many people, including me, had a hard time adjusting to the island because its hard to be away from my family. So manage that. It was hard to concentrate on studying, but by this semester I was glad I made it through.

4)Anatomy Lab: could either be fun or horrible for you. Bring 2 Hunter Green Scrubs and you should be fine.

5)Don't be a rebel. Many first semesters in the September class that decided that its alright to bring food and cell phones into lab. Don't be a loser. Leave it outside. And there were at least 5 instances.

6)You will learn to love FRESHLY Made Juice.

7) Sometimes you study so much that you don't realize that you are on an island. There isn't much else to do but study, workout, eat at Tomatoes, drink at tulips or champs, go to the beach (that kinda gets boring), snorkle, Intramurals. Its a good thing that there is no mall besides "RUSM CRAIGSLIST".

8)Make friends with upper semesters because they know the ropes (or buy them if you can't) lol.

9) Bring summer like clothes... its hot here duh... but bring a jacket because study spaces are freezing.

10)There are some people here who are really pricks about their "particular" study space. So don't be like them... learn to share.

11) Even though we are on this island for the same reason to get an MD. There will always be those people who pick up and understand a lot faster than you. There is one of two pathways: you could be humble and help the strugglers or you can be the ego-maniac that people despise. Choose wisely. The Ego-maniac is AKA gunner.

12) You are here to study, but make sure you make the time to call your family and friends at home. They are your core and part of your forever survival kit.

If you have any questions, comment here or PM.

Reactions: 1 user
Glad to know that you are doing well, hmania. Third semester for me is when it started getting more fun. You start pathology and finally feel like you are learning medicine. If you can keep focused, it'll be over before you know it and you'll be starting clinicals.

Thanks for the update. And, before you know it, you'll be back in the U.S.

-Skip

I am a 'firsties' here at RossU and hmania pretty much summarized my whole experience so far.
Nothing here is too terrible. Everyone really do try to help each other out. So far, I'm glad I am attending RossU.

Hey Everyone,
I have an interview with Ross in 3 days and I was wondering if anyone was or is in a similar boat as I'm. My MCAT score is 16 but other than that I have an overall GPA of 3.64 and a science GPA of 3.65, great LOR, great EC, research, and shadowing experiences.

Any information will help. Thanks!

Hey Everyone,
I have an interview with Ross in 3 days and I was wondering if anyone was or is in a similar boat as I'm. My MCAT score is 16 but other than that I have an overall GPA of 3.64 and a science GPA of 3.65, great LOR, great EC, research, and shadowing experiences.

Any information will help. Thanks!

None of us knows what the admission's committee thinks. But, you got an interview. Pretty much provided you don't screw that up, things look good.

But...

Your MCAT score is low. Very low. Why? Do you have trouble with standardized tests? If that's the case, you're going to have a very long and painful 7+ years ahead of you... if you're lucky to make it that far.

Something to think about. Along with the massive debt you're going to pile-up along the way, if you fail. Getting an acceptance is just the absolute very beginning of the journey. It's not the destination.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
None of us knows what the admission's committee thinks. But, you got an interview. Pretty much provided you don't screw that up, things look good.

But...

Your MCAT score is low. Very low. Why? Do you have trouble with standardized tests? If that's the case, you're going to have a very long and painful 7+ years ahead of you... if you're lucky to make it that far.

Something to think about. Along with the massive debt you're going to pile-up along the way, if you fail. Getting an acceptance is just the absolute very beginning of the journey. It's not the destination.

-Skip
To be completely honest I did not sufficiently prepared for this exam like I should have, and on top of not preparing like I was suppose to, I got in a car accident two weeks before the exam and I did not want to reschedule the exam since it was close to the September deadline that medical schools want your results by.

Thank you for your input, I will definitely take that into consideration.

To be completely honest I did not sufficiently prepared for this exam like I should have... (sic)

If that's the case, and you're not just making excuses, there is no reason in the world you shouldn't re-take the MCAT after you're adequately prepared, sit out a year (and build your application), and re-apply to U.S. medical schools.

This is a critical lifelong decision. Don't make it lightly. A year seems like a long time. It isn't. In any case, you'll be no worse off this time next year.

Good luck!

-Skip

@Skip Intro Hey! I have been sort of lurking on some of your posts this past year or so. You have been very helpful and insightful. I thank you for all the information you have provided. I have decided to attend Ross in this upcoming January 2015 semester. Do you have any pointers/tips? I sort of have an idea of which residency I would like to enter. Do you suggest I join relevant clubs associated with that residency? Also, how prepared did you feel sitting for your boards?

Thanks Skip!

I started at Ross in 2001. From what I understand, a lot has changed since then. My best advice is:

1) Live as close as possible to campus.
2) Don't worry about studying hard, but instead study wisely.
3) Go home on breaks. It's worth it.
4) Try to find a little time to have some fun. I did SCUBA down there. It was fantastic.

Try to reach out to hmania. She comes here from time to time. She'll have been there for two full semesters already by the time you get there. The people who've been around the block are a tremendous resource. Don't be afraid to ask for their help and advice (and to buy stuff from when they are leaving the island). They're already ahead of you in the program. So, they've got "no dog in the fight", so to speak, with regards to some of the unfortunate cutthroat stuff that goes on down there.

Good luck, have fun, and before you know it you'll be in clinicals!

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
I started at Ross in 2001. From what I understand, a lot has changed since then. My best advice is:

1) Live as close as possible to campus.
2) Don't worry about studying hard, but instead study wisely.
3) Go home on breaks. It's worth it.
4) Try to find a little time to have some fun. I did SCUBA down there. It was fantastic.

Try to reach out to hmania. She comes here from time to time. She'll have been there for two full semesters already by the time you get there. The people who've been around the block are a tremendous resource. Don't be afraid to ask for their help and advice (and to buy stuff from when they are leaving the island). They're already ahead of you in the program. So, they've got "no dog in the fight", so to speak, with regards to some of the unfortunate cutthroat stuff that goes on down there.

Good luck, have fun, and before you know it you'll be in clinicals!

-Skip

Hey @Skip Intro and @futuredoc2389 ,
There are a lot of resources on this island. Ross started this "student ambassadors" program, in which they pair upper semesters with incoming "firsties" before you get to the island. They also have a facebook page for every incoming class, so you can get to know other beforehand. Here are some other pointers.

1. JOIN the RUSM CRAIGSLIST. You can look at what things are common here and so you don't have to pack in your luggage.
2. As a matter of living close to campus, most apartments are within a 10 minute walk. It's just the path you get there, that matters. Some takes you up and down hills, but is much more spacious and cheaper. So take you into muddy paths, but quieter spaces. Some are right next to bars, but are closer to the main road. So its your deal. I found that many people find the RUH as a starter (in ~$400usd). I started at PBH or portsmouth beach hotel with a room at $681..... let me tell you... the first month was like (ooohh i have a nice beach front view) and the last 3 months (did not even look at the beach, nor did I like that my room felt like a small compacted cage).

I would recommend MAC and JUDY's APT... its 3 minute walk and affordable. (not that Im living there right now, so there is no personal gain). Personally, I moved to LIzards trail. Its right behind the school gym (2 min walk) and close to IGA (the largest supermarket in by campus). Mac and Judy is 3 mins from lizards trail, so about 5 min away from iga.

3. There are lots of clubs to join. Depends on what you like and what your preference is. There are always meetings and clinics that you can attend with the clubs.

I can't think of anything else to post, so post here and I will try my best to reply. Turned on notifications recently!:soexcited:

I have an interview in Chicago in 2 weeks with Leslie Andersen. Has anyone interviewed with her before?

Hello all! Just wanted to chime in and thank you all for the information posted here; it gave me good talking points during my interview.

I'm starting to fret a little bit about hearing back post-interview, seeing as it's been two weeks. I'm an older applicant (30), and I'm applying for the September cohort; does it or can it generally take this long to hear back?

I appreciate all the info. Thank you all!

Hello all! Just wanted to chime in and thank you all for the information posted here; it gave me good talking points during my interview.

I'm starting to fret a little bit about hearing back post-interview, seeing as it's been two weeks. I'm an older applicant (30), and I'm applying for the September cohort; does it or can it generally take this long to hear back?

I appreciate all the info. Thank you all!
Hey, I hope your interview went really well. I'm not able to help you with your question since I have an interview in a week. I just got an email about it. I was wondering if you could help me with the interview process. How was it like? What did they ask? Was it a panel interview? How long did it take?

I would really appreciate if you could help me out here. Thanks and I hope you have received an acceptance letter by now.

Hey everyone, I've been quiet for some time now. So here's the spill about the interview. First of all congrats. Second, be genuine. Third, practice in front of a mirror or another person.

There are the typical questions asked by any school.
Tell me about yourself. What motivated you to be a part of this profession? Tell me about your favorite class in undergrad. What 4 words describe your character?

They can ask you a number of ways. Just comprehend, breathe, and answer. Ideally, it last about 15 to 30 minutes long. After that... Wait around a couple of days or up to 2 weeks or more to get an acceptance straight to Ross or to MERP.

Gl and peace out as I go back to studying. Nice to know my thread is still alive

It was not a Sunday stroll through the park. It was high-stress, continuous studying, and trying to figure out what parts of the material were important to focus on. You will make some new lifelong friends, but don't get distracted.

The food is terrible. The island is essentially a third-world country. There is crime. Live as close to campus as possible. Bring stuff you like... but not too much. Don't buy a microscope. Figure out a way to get through the 16 months on the Dominica campus without any set-backs. Go home after each semester.

You will appreciate far more what you have here in the U.S. after your time there.

Good luck!

-Skip
Your posts have been beyond amazing, helpful, motivating and encouraging to me. I am applying to RossU, and I am hoping to go there so badly. I've seen nearly all your posts on SDN wherever there's questions about residency/anything Carribbean schools....You are a hero. I read all of them.

@Skip Intro to piggyback on what was posted... Dominica has come a long way since I started about a year ago. There is a new bldg to study in, a couple of non-chinese restaurants, BATHROOM remodeling. Yep I only mentioned it because it gives you a sense that you are at least in a developed nation when on the toilet. I'm going on 4th semester and like Skip said, time can either be friend or foe (depending on your grade standings). Sometimes, I actually forget that I am on an island because I spend 80% of the time studying. There are a lot of friends I know who have repeated a semester and this is the deciding factor. Some choose to quit medicine and others choose to stay. The ones that choose to stay must change their study habits and adapt to the pace. If you don't, you will drown in the material.

Third semester material was not hard, it was all about repetition. It was about time management, about staying mentally fit/sane, and admitting that you won't know everything,but you are willing to learn the material from its core. There are community clinic days that are mandatory and ESP's (which is basically Step 2 training) which eat your time up, but so worth it. It makes you more comfortable with patient encounters and interview. Like Skip said, it makes you appreciate what you have back in the states in terms of available resources, hygiene management, and conveniences.

cheerio! Nice to see that my thread is alive!

interesting and very amazing thread indeed. I am looking into Ross for next year and I just submitted my documents this week. Anyone with interview experience from this year should please share with us what to expect. If possible please share some interview questions you remember.

For most people who attend Ross - If you know why you are there and make studying your priority, the majority of you will be fine. However there are those who go there who have trouble testing and for the most part these individuals don't end up making or do graduate but have several failing attempts on the USMLEs (which really makes getting a residency spot much harder). @Skip Intro is correct when he says to retake the MCAT not only to see if you can strengthen your application but just to see for yourself if you are capable or not.

Thread revived! How is everyone year so far?

Just to give people a heads up. The Comprehensive exam passing score has been raised from a 66% to a 68% this past semester.

They have also modified the grading. So be sure to read up on that.

Hi, like the first post I received an email from Ross stating all my documents have been recieved and I will contacted accordingly regarding the next step in admission process. Within 5 minutes I received an email stating I have made it to the interview round. I cannot find my interviewer on their website. So I am a little nervous. Anyone else have interview tips for the Vet school interview?

Hi, like the first post I received an email from Ross stating all my documents have been recieved and I will contacted accordingly regarding the next step in admission process. Within 5 minutes I received an email stating I have made it to the interview round. I cannot find my interviewer on their website. So I am a little nervous. Anyone else have interview tips for the Vet school interview?
You'd probably be better served by stopping by the veterinary forums. This is the human med side of things.

hmania - glad to hear you have been thriving and thank you for posting regularly. It gives a good first person look into how things are.

hmania - glad to hear you have been thriving and thank you for posting regularly. It gives a good first person look into how things are.

Well I try my best. Right now is Step studying time and lets just say it is the toughest "hazing" from medical school that I have ever experienced. Wake up... question... review questions... then study... then questions.... you get my drift. You start to doubt yourself every which way because your sources might not be up to par or you might be studying ineffectively compared to your counterparts. You wonder how alumni's made it through or how people survived until their exam date. Mine is set for this April.

Im considering to start a blog about this Ross journey... should I?

Well I try my best. Right now is Step studying time and lets just say it is the toughest "hazing" from medical school that I have ever experienced. Wake up... question... review questions... then study... then questions.... you get my drift. You start to doubt yourself every which way because your sources might not be up to par or you might be studying ineffectively compared to your counterparts. You wonder how alumni's made it through or how people survived until their exam date. Mine is set for this April. Im considering to start a blog about this Ross journey... should I?

Writing blogs are a good way to evaluate how much output you're getting in, however if you seem stressed over the pacing it will eat into your time. I was talking to a friend of mine on Skype and they said that a lot of physiology is left to the students to rationalize on their own. They said that they covered Dannet-Yarrow diagrams a couple of days ago and it seemed like they expected you to already have familiarity with the topic e.g. completely zooming past the material. There are lots of blogs on Ross already if you need to draw some advice and inspiration from them. I suggest checking out http://bigcronk.blogspot.com/ or messaging @the argus if you're looking for feedback on how to optimize study patterns and some tips for doing well in classes.

Writing blogs are a good way to evaluate how much output you're getting in, however if you seem stressed over the pacing it will eat into your time. I was talking to a friend of mine on Skype and they said that a lot of physiology is left to the students to rationalize on their own. They said that they covered Dannet-Yarrow diagrams a couple of days ago and it seemed like they expected you to already have familiarity with the topic e.g. completely zooming past the material. There are lots of blogs on Ross already if you need to draw some advice and inspiration from them. I suggest checking out http://bigcronk.blogspot.com/ or messaging @the argus if you're looking for feedback on how to optimize study patterns and some tips for doing well in classes.

Funny thing, I do know of the girl in the blog. I'll probably start it after Step 1 studying :). Sardinia, it is true... the physiology is left for the students to catch on for themselves. While many say that the professors teach, but that is false. I have been through 4 semesters on the island and lets just say BRS physiology has been my soul mate for that topic. Maybe Ill start another thread in the meantime.

Funny thing, I do know of the girl in the blog. I'll probably start it after Step 1 studying :). Sardinia, it is true... the physiology is left for the students to catch on for themselves. While many say that the professors teach, but that is false. I have been through 4 semesters on the island and lets just say BRS physiology has been my soul mate for that topic. Maybe Ill start another thread in the meantime.

Sorry. I forgot you originally posted this in 2013. I have a lot of respect that you've made it through so far. I know a lot of my friends who are currently in the program and they have told me that they teach themselves everything in the program because the Mini is fair game for really any type of question to be thrown. I heard even MERP kids still fail in years 1 or 2. It's no joke. I really hope you crush the Step 1 examination. I know you can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone! I have been reading through all of these forums concerning Ross for some time now and truly appreciate all the time you guys have taken to answer so many concerns I had about attending this Medical School. I am interviewing this March for a spot in the September 2016 class and just had a couple of questions I could not find anywhere else. I would appreciate any help !
1- What is the difference between the 4th and 5th semester curriculum ( weekly schedule? what is meant by integrated study breaks?)?
2- What are the chances of doing single track hospital clinical rotations? More specifically, in south florida.
3-Do the single track rotations start at a specific time of the year or could I start soon after submitting my step 1 scores? For example if I finish in May, take some time to study and then have my scores submitted to Ross by let say September, would I be able to start at a single track hospital soon after(November, December, or January possibly)?
4-How does scheduling work for clinical rotations in terms of time in between them? Is there times were you have to wait a month or so to start another rotation?
5- Do you start the residency application process a year before graduation like in US schools and then, if you match, start after graduation. I read somewhere that since it is an international medical school you have to wait until you graduate to start the application process, therefore having a year in between graduating and starting residency.

Hello everyone! I have been reading through all of these forums concerning Ross for some time now and truly appreciate all the time you guys have taken to answer so many concerns I had about attending this Medical School. I am interviewing this March for a spot in the September 2016 class and just had a couple of questions I could not find anywhere else. I would appreciate any help !
1- What is the difference between the 4th and 5th semester curriculum ( weekly schedule? what is meant by integrated study breaks?)?
2- What are the chances of doing single track hospital clinical rotations? More specifically, in south florida.
3-Do the single track rotations start at a specific time of the year or could I start soon after submitting my step 1 scores? For example if I finish in May, take some time to study and then have my scores submitted to Ross by let say September, would I be able to start at a single track hospital soon after(November, December, or January possibly)?
4-How does scheduling work for clinical rotations in terms of time in between them? Is there times were you have to wait a month or so to start another rotation?
5- Do you start the residency application process a year before graduation like in US schools and then, if you match, start after graduation. I read somewhere that since it is an international medical school you have to wait until you graduate to start the application process, therefore having a year in between graduating and starting residency.

Hope you get the answers you need before committing to a school.
1. So the difference between 4th / 5th semester is the amount of time you are willing to spend on an island to study. 5 semesters is more relaxed and you get more time to soak in the sun with a book, but once the last semester arrives... 75% of your grade comes from the last 5 weeks of your semester. 4 semesters was what I chose because you were always on your toes to study and its constant stress instead of little spurts here and there.
2. As of right now, there are a couple of track rotations in south florida (from what I hear). Sometimes, you need to commute within the vicinity of hospitals.
3. After finishing step 1 (september).. then imf. So in terms of IMF it happens every 2 months (jan, mar, may, jul, sep, nov)... so different tracks have different starting time.. so you might get into rotations by dec.
4. from what I hear, yes there are some down time which you can search for electives. Sometimes you get lucky with a schedule that is back to back.
5.I never heard of such thing as waiting. The waiting is probably due to lack of completion of the application for residency.

GL

Thank you so much for your answers hmania, I wish you the best in your career!

Thank you so much for your answers hmania, I wish you the best in your career!

I apologize for jumping in but the anxiety is sort of kicking in and a little feedback would be nice.
I applied on a VERY old, low MCAT score with subpar GPA's, but graduated with a Masters degree. (I am 27). I struggled a bit because I was freshly married and the first few years of marriage are tough, throwing in med school level courses at my program makes life more difficult than dealing with partying on a Saturday night
I haven't don't much but work and save for the family for 3 years and applied to Ross for this May and was granted an interview DESPITE that I was clearly not a great candidate even for Ross but was hoping that because of life circumstances I could crawl and nail to get a spot as I have heard that if you get the interview it is a "formality". I frown on this because false hope is a dangerous thing . My interviewer (Valerie Long) really grilled me but it was rightly deserved. She controlled much of the interview and because the interview spot was changed last second to a starbucks (there are so many i get there 30 min early only to learn she was at the one down the street). I felt I could have done better. She went as far as to say I may be a borderline denial. I am not sure if this is a scare tactic but clearly they saw my grades before the interview and granted me one.

I am on pins and needles as my app went to committee review the very next day.
This close to May (I applied 2 weeks ago), I am anticipating a quick turnaround but any advice from ANY prospective Ross student interview or Alum would help me greatly. Just hoping their goal was to scare the hell out of me, which sadly I did.

I have a wife and future to plan so i welcome the opinion of both optimists and realists.

I apologize for jumping in but the anxiety is sort of kicking in and a little feedback would be nice.
I applied on a VERY old, low MCAT score with subpar GPA's, but graduated with a Masters degree. (I am 27). I struggled a bit because I was freshly married and the first few years of marriage are tough, throwing in med school level courses at my program makes life more difficult than dealing with partying on a Saturday night
I haven't don't much but work and save for the family for 3 years and applied to Ross for this May and was granted an interview DESPITE that I was clearly not a great candidate even for Ross but was hoping that because of life circumstances I could crawl and nail to get a spot as I have heard that if you get the interview it is a "formality". I frown on this because false hope is a dangerous thing . My interviewer (Valerie Long) really grilled me but it was rightly deserved. She controlled much of the interview and because the interview spot was changed last second to a starbucks (there are so many i get there 30 min early only to learn she was at the one down the street). I felt I could have done better. She went as far as to say I may be a borderline denial. I am not sure if this is a scare tactic but clearly they saw my grades before the interview and granted me one.

I am on pins and needles as my app went to committee review the very next day.
This close to May (I applied 2 weeks ago), I am anticipating a quick turnaround but any advice from ANY prospective Ross student interview or Alum would help me greatly. Just hoping their goal was to scare the hell out of me, which sadly I did.

I have a wife and future to plan so i welcome the opinion of both optimists and realists.
If there is a place for the Caribbean it is for someone who has failed at least two or three reasonable attempts at a US/DO application with appropriate remediation for any deficiencies. Alternatively it is ok as a vanity degree for someone who has great wealth and does not plan to practice. I can confidently assert that you will be accepted, given the "successful" Ross applications I have seen over the years.

Reactions: 2 users
If there is a place for the Caribbean it is for someone who has failed at least two or three reasonable attempts at a US/DO application with appropriate remediation for any deficiencies. Alternatively it is ok as a vanity degree for someone who has great wealth and does not plan to practice. I can confidently assert that you will be accepted given the "successful" Ross applications I have seen over the years.

Based on your incredible credentials and understanding the tone I greatly appreciate the notion I can at least have the opportunity for myself. Truth is the click can go off in your mind and heart at any point and for some it is later. I am curious as to these schools for May semesters would be VERY lenient to get the money.

Truth is the click can go off in your mind and heart at any point and for some it is later. I am curious as to these schools for May semesters would be VERY lenient to get the money.
It may seem that the Caribbean is an expedited path. What you seem to shorten at the beginning is often paid for dearly in the process and at the end. Their business plan requires that a significant number fail before taking Step 1. Your tuition will not be refunded, nor will it be discharged in bankruptcy.
In contrast, US schools are sanctioned if we cannot keep more than 95% of matriculants , not just graduates on track for a successful match.

Hey guys its my first post on here.

I am an undergraduate at Rutgers University graduating in May 2016. My major is Cell Biology/Neuroscience minoring in Psychology and Economics. My cGPA is a 2.9 and my sGPA is a 2.65 I have a 23 on my MCAT. I am a certified EMT for 7 years now with over 1800 hours of volunteer work. I also have additional volunteer experience. I was hesitant to apply to ROSS due to low GPA and MCAT, but after talking to one of their admissions advisors I was advised to apply. I sent out my application last week and received an email this morning inviting me for an interview.

I know my GPA is low but that is due to personal reasons that I can explain during the interview. My father lost his job and suffered a heart attack and has had complications since, which impacted me as I am viewed as the head of the household. I also know my MCAT is low, but that is because I rushed into taking it before the new one came out. I am confident if I retake the new MCAT that my score will improve. However, I feel like my chances of getting in are slim, so I would like to get some feedback if anyone was in a similar position. What can I expect?

I am an undergraduate at Rutgers University graduating in ...

If they offered you an interview you'll almost certainly get accepted. You probably shouldn't take it because you're continuing to make excuses for your below-average academic performance instead of fixing it. Life stressors don't go away when you go off to the islands for med school, the coursework is exponentially greater, and the tests only become harder.

Did you really come here for advice or did you come here for assurance?

I am confident if I retake the new MCAT that my score will improve..

Then you should do that.

Reactions: 2 users

I am an undergraduate at Rutgers University graduating in May 2016. My major is Cell Biology/Neuroscience minoring in Psychology and Economics. My cGPA is a 2.9 and my sGPA is a 2.65 I have a 23 on my MCAT. I am a certified EMT for 7 years now with over 1800 hours of volunteer work. I also have additional volunteer experience. I was hesitant to apply to ROSS due to low GPA and MCAT, but after talking to one of their admissions advisors I was advised to apply. I sent out my application last week and received an email this morning inviting me for an interview.

I know my GPA is low but that is due to personal reasons that I can explain during the interview. My father lost his job and suffered a heart attack and has had complications since, which impacted me as I am viewed as the head of the household. I also know my MCAT is low, but that is because I rushed into taking it before the new one came out. I am confident if I retake the new MCAT that my score will improve. However, I feel like my chances of getting in are slim, so I would like to get some feedback if anyone was in a similar position. What can I expect?

You need to take some time to retake any classes that you scored a C or less in. You also need to work to retake the MCAT after you are ready. Put that all together and you may have a chance at a DO school.

Don't go to the Caribbean. With your stats as they are, you are at a high risk of failing out after taking some huge loans. You need to do everything you can to try for a US school or look for another career.

You need to take some time to retake any classes that you scored a C or less in. You also need to work to retake the MCAT after you are ready. Put that all together and you may have a chance at a DO school.

Don't go to the Caribbean. With your stats as they are, you are at a high risk of failing out after taking some huge loans. You need to do everything you can to try for a US school or look for another career.

With your stats you may be eligible for post bacc programs offered at DO schools. Some offer direct admittance into their DO if you perform at a certain standard.

I was also thinking about heading to the Caribbean, Ross and SGU, but I've recently been accepted into LECOM post bacc program. If I finish the program and perform well then I can start DO progam in Fall 2017. It's more expensive than doing a post bacc at community college or state school but from what I've heard about the program the majority of students get accepted into the DO program.

It may seem that the Caribbean is an expedited path. What you seem to shorten at the beginning is often paid for dearly in the process and at the end. Their business plan requires that a significant number fail before taking Step 1. Your tuition will not be refunded, nor will it be discharged in bankruptcy.
In contrast, US schools are sanctioned if we cannot keep more than 95% of matriculants , not just graduates on track for a successful match.

This is a ridiculous statement... Ross, or any other school for that matter, would love to boast a 100% graduation and/or match rate. Do a significant number fail out? Yes, but that is a result of them having no business being there in the first place.

People need to get off their high horse about who's better. If a student scores well on Steps and is competent then by all means let's work together to take care of people.

Okay I'll go back to lurking...

Full disclosure: neither a Carib student or alum.

This is a ridiculous statement... Ross, or any other school for that matter, would love to boast a 100% graduation and/or match rate. Do a significant number fail out? Yes, but that is a result of them having no business being there in the first place.
This is apparent in their application. It is the predatory manner in which these schools accept them (along with their loan money) to which I object.

Hey all!

So, just a quick question. This may not be strange for a Carib. school, but I was waitlisted at a few US MD schools and also applied to Ross, SGU, and AUC. (never really completed the application until hearing back from US schools). This wasn't because they are "Carib" schools its just because of a lack of money. Anyways, enough of that. My questions is, I received the interview invite this past week, is it weird to do an interview this close to the start of class ?

Hey all!

So, just a quick question. This may not be strange for a Carib. school, but I was waitlisted at a few US MD schools and also applied to Ross, SGU, and AUC. (never really completed the application until hearing back from US schools). This wasn't because they are "Carib" schools its just because of a lack of money. Anyways, enough of that. My questions is, I received the interview invite this past week, is it weird to do an interview this close to the start of class ?

Which part of the trimester are you interviewing for?

Hey all!

Nope, not unusual. SGU will routinely interview and accept people up until the week classes begin if they're trying to fill out an incoming class. This is probably more common for the typically smaller January class, the August class usually fills up before then.

Which part of the trimester are you interviewing for?
Nope, not unusual. SGU will routinely interview and accept people up until the week classes begin if they're trying to fill out an incoming class. This is probably more common for the typically smaller January class, the August class usually fills up before then.

This is for the September start class. I had pretty average stats. 3.7 with 3.5 sGPA. Average MCAT. However, 2 published papers (collaborative), 2 research projects, a clinical research project, recs from medschool professors and a masters. Heard back within the week of submitting with an invite, that's why I was a little skeptical. Well, that's good to hear. Maybe I'll get in.

This is for the September start class. I had pretty average stats. 3.7 with 3.5 sGPA. Average MCAT. However, 2 published papers (collaborative), 2 research projects, a clinical research project, recs from medschool professors and a masters. Heard back within the week of submitting with an invite, that's why I was a little skeptical. Well, that's good to hear. Maybe I'll get in.

If it's a special masters do that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sorry but I have to say this. For those stats, I highly suggest trying again for another cycle for both US MD and DO.

Reactions: 3 users