Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2010/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed and faxed them statements letting them no I am no longer interested in the program. I still got an acceptance postmarked 7/13! I even told someone over the phone I wasn't interested.

Oh well, I letting them no I'm not interested, again.
Hope it goes to someone.

I'm going to a DO school in my state. First time applying. I'm 24,married, wife with baby on the way...gotta move on with my life.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm going to RFU. What are some options for student housing besides Woodlands? The reviews I saw for that apartment are pretty dismal.

Thanks.

Well there is actual student housing... but I hear that all current seats are filled... you'd have to get on a housing waitlist which is pretty damn long at this point... I wouldn't read to much into the reviews online... Woodlands is widely regarded as the most convenient housing option due to the proximity of the school... that's where most students live... if you do decide to live at Woodlands or find another favorable option... please let me know if you are looking for a roomate... you can read my previous post for my stats

Hey guys,

I'm going to RFU. What are some options for student housing besides Woodlands? The reviews I saw for that apartment are pretty dismal.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I received an acceptance into the BMS program just today.....

Hey Canadian Maple. I know another Canadian going to the BMS program from UWO. Screw the Canadian government for making Cdn medical schools so difficult to get in...

Anyways, I would recommend that you take this opportunity as this may be the only chance though to get into meds with your stats. Hang in there, work hard, and do well.... the walls are only there to see how much you want it in life..

Can any current BMSer tell me if the new dean deal is going to affect the chances for BMSers going to CMS?

Hey guys,

Thanks.

Well I'm living in a place called Madison West Apartments. It's about a ten minute drive from campus. The rent is really nice as it includes all utilities except electric (gas is used) and you get free internet so i thought it was a pretty good deal. They have studios and one bedrooms depending on what you are interested in.

Can any current BMSer tell me if the new dean deal is going to affect the chances for BMSers going to CMS?

From what I've heard from a current CMS student the new dean deal isn't gonna affect us. The BMS director and admissions committee is still the same and once they decide we're admitted to CMS, it gets sent to the dean for his/her signature. Students also think that this may be a temporary dean for this year.

Don't worry about the speculation and concentrate on doing great! :D

From what I've heard from a current CMS student the new dean deal isn't gonna affect us. The BMS director and admissions committee is still the same and once they decide we're admitted to CMS, it gets sent to the dean for his/her signature. Students also think that this may be a temporary dean for this year.

Don't worry about the speculation and concentrate on doing great! :D

For sure :)

Gonna study my @ss off this time. I have 3 friends that are going to be m1's this year at this school and 2 friends in the BMS so I got a lot of support :thumbup:

And I'm really excited to meet you guys this year as well.

Anyone else still waiting? I am under review now.About a week ago I called and was told my application "went through a screen". I called a few days later and was told it was going to be sent to the committee again? Good sign? I hope.

I was so nervous over the phone that I didn't ask specifically what she meant by "screen" or "review" etc. If anyone knows, please help. Is passing this "screen" almost an assurance of acceptance into the BMS program?

If anyone has any news about admissions please let me know.

Last edited:
Anyone else still waiting? I am under review now.About a week ago I called and was told my application "went through a screen". I called a few days later and was told it was going to be sent to the committee again? Good sign? I hope.

I was so nervous over the phone that I didn't ask specifically what she meant by "screen" or "review" etc. If anyone knows, please help. Is passing this "screen" almost an assurance of acceptance into the BMS program?

If anyone has any news about admissions please let me know.

I hope so. It is getting pretty late though, but never give up hope. Good luck :thumbup:

It's a great feeling getting accepted. One I hope all/most of us future BMSers feel again once we get into CMS.

Yeah. I was told I'd hear something before August. We'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
im amazed...i applied as late as possible aka my app wasnt complete until 06/30 and I wasnt very hopeful but thank god! Im wondering how many people are using this program as a gap year fill in? I havent applied to med school before and after meeting with admissions at several schools, Im told i have a pretty good chance of getting in next fall...but then again who knows?! Im just wondering if this HUGE loan is worth it or should i continue to work? Work = Pediatric Clinic/Clinical Research. Ugh, im on the fence...Also, in terms of off campus living, anyone looking for a roommate? PM me

uofcundergrad, what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? you can pm me if you like, I applied last year, and have been researching the admissions process for the past 3 years, so I can try to provide some input as to your chances, although it's really all a cr@pshoot...

also have you already sent in your AMCAS/AACOMAS, because if you haven't yet, it's getting late in the cycle...

also check your pms, I sent you one regarding off-campus housing/rooming

im amazed...i applied as late as possible aka my app wasnt complete until 06/30 and I wasnt very hopeful but thank god! Im wondering how many people are using this program as a gap year fill in? I havent applied to med school before and after meeting with admissions at several schools, Im told i have a pretty good chance of getting in next fall...but then again who knows?! Im just wondering if this HUGE loan is worth it or should i continue to work? Work = Pediatric Clinic/Clinical Research. Ugh, im on the fence...Also, in terms of off campus living, anyone looking for a roommate? PM me

Speaking of amcas, does anyone know if they hold onto your old LORs? Or do you need to have them sent again?

Hey Everyone. So I'm still looking for a male.. possibly female roommate to share a 2BDRM Apt at the Woodlands.

I'm a male (non-smoker), from Los Angeles, and I just graduated USC. I'm clean/organized, I like to cook, and easy going.

PM me if you're interested and tell me your name so we can message over facebook.

I have been admitted into BMS but I still feel like the money and effort I am putting for this is not necessary. I have a cGPA of 3.6 and MCAT 29, I know my weak point is MCAT but it seems impossible for me to improve my verbal. I applied last year (very late tho) and didn't get a single interview :S and that is why I thought maybe BMS would help me get in somewhere. I am turning down BU MAM since I have to wait another extra year. I would really appreciate any advice...

withdrawing today...got into med school off of a wait list!!!!!!! :eek: :D

I hope one of you waiting gets my spot! Good luck with everything!

withdrawing today...got into med school off of a wait list!!!!!!! :eek: :D

I hope one of you waiting gets my spot! Good luck with everything!

Congrats!!!!
I hope you just opened up a seat for me. I'm waiting.

I have been admitted into BMS but I still feel like the money and effort I am putting for this is not necessary. I have a cGPA of 3.6 and MCAT 29, I know my weak point is MCAT but it seems impossible for me to improve my verbal. I applied last year (very late tho) and didn't get a single interview :S and that is why I thought maybe BMS would help me get in somewhere. I am turning down BU MAM since I have to wait another extra year. I would really appreciate any advice...

Coincidentally, I was in the same dilemma last summer...same stats and also one unsuccessful app cycle. I too didn't know if taking out another loan and going through a rigorous SMP was necessary. After careful consideration and speaking to a CMS admissions rep (to find out why I didn't get in the first time), Dr. Pullen (to learn more about BMS), and a couple past BMS members, I decided going through the program was the best choice to give me a greater probability of getting accepted this time around. Throughout the BMS yr, there were times I wondered if I really needed the program, especially after getting accepted elsewhere. Ultimately, I do not regret choosing BMS b/c I accomplished my goal in getting into med school. I now have about 1/2 my M1 yr complete and I'm looking forward to a much less stressful M1a yr at CMS.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Does anyone know what hours the admissions office is open? Is it before 5pm?

I've called admissions quite a bit and they are open before 5pm.

Also, I've just been accepted to the the BMS program! I basically have two weeks to move down to Chicago...yikes! I applied right at the deadline though so I guess that's why I heard back so late.

Currently looking into housing options. Does a female student need a roomate? I'll most likely live at Woodlands if the student housing doesn't work out.

Has anyone signed a contract for a one bed room dorm at RFUMS yet? If so can you tell us what the average renting rate per month is? Thanks!

viewer

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on how I can furnish my place since I don't have a car, any past students faced this dilemma? How did you deal with it? I'm pretty stressed out about this actually, even if I had a car, I can't lug all this stuff around, I'm a pretty small girl... so do I just hire movers, anyone have any suggestions for movers then?

on the same note, how are you guys getting all your stuff to Chicago, are you just going to buy it all there, or are you going to ship it in boxes (since we're only allowed two 50lb suitcases on the plane... again if anyone has any good suggestions for shipping companies, please let me know, thanks :)

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on how I can furnish my place....

Hey follow this link for "life in chicagoland"

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/DNN/Portals/18/documents/dosa/LifeInChicagoland.pdf

It has tons of info about nearby furniture stores. Also you can try the housing forums at RFUMS and register for an account...many people post to give away their furniture for free.

It would be a good idea to find someone with a car as the grocery stars are not within walking distance.

Hey guys has anyone gotten any information about financial stuff? I've been accepted since March and I haven't received any info for tuition payment.

I'm Canadian and permanent resident, probably the only one going there...my stats are 4.0 GPA, 35M, I went to the University of Western Ontario...stupid Canadian medical schools and their interviews....

Hope everyone does well next year..

To Jkim --> Are you from the Chicago area? Do you know of any Korean hair salons or asian hair salons....

Hey guys has anyone gotten any information about financial stuff? I've been accepted since March and I haven't received any info for tuition payment.

I'm Canadian and permanent resident, probably the only one going there...my stats are 4.0 GPA, 35M, I went to the University of Western Ontario...stupid Canadian medical schools and their interviews....

Hope everyone does well next year..

To Jkim --> Are you from the Chicago area? Do you know of any Korean hair salons or asian hair salons....

Hi drake, In terms of financial aid you should have received an email with all the forms and requirements in order to get financial aid. In terms of billing I haven't received anything I just received confirmation on my loans going through. I'm also Canadian but I've been a permanent resident in the states for a while. If you are a permanent resident you should have no trouble getting aid.

Look forward to seeing everyone at rfu,

Sham

Hey I'm also Canadian and still debating on whether to attend BMS at RFU. I need to make a decision this week.

In terms of financial aid, I'm purely Canadian with no PR status in the U.S. Are there any financial aid options in the U.S. for international students? I guess not...

I'm planning on going down to some Canadian banks here but I don't know how it'll fare... BMS is quite a lot of money for a 1-year program. I wonder how it will be assessed for loan purposes... i.e. a masters program for 40 grand? Also, granted I do the program and hopefully get accepted to CMS, I will then have to worry about med school tuition. I don't have a very strong co-signer which will make it difficult with the banks...

For people taking out loans, U.S. or Canadian, what kind of suggestions do you have?

Thanks!

Still waiting. Told me to call back tomorrow.
Meanwhile I have back up employment plans.

If anyone is accepted and certain they will not attend , please vacate your spot so people still waiting might get in.:)

Decided to accept. Pretty excited about it! Can't wait to meet all of you/get back to student life!

Hey! Did you go to a Cdn university? If so which one?

No I went to school near my home in florida. I've lived down here for most of my life so going to school up north didn't cross my mind. Anyway about loans, I am not sure if there is anything for international students, however, depending on what profession you go into, taking out loans isn't that big of a deal. What I've heard from other med students is to take as much as you need to be comfortable because in the longrun you'll be able to pay it off with little stress and you won't have to sacrifice opportunities and studies because of the green stuff that makes our lives so much more difficult.

Looking forward to seeing all of you in a few of weeks,

Sham

Well, I'm rejected. Took it quite well.
Meanwhile I'm headed for a scholarship supported graduate level 12 month medical technology program at Thomas Jefferson University.

Trying to figuring things out. Looking into SGU (Caribbean) immediately after the med tech program.

Hey! If anyone golf's or plays hockey, make sure to bring the necessary equipment when you move!!!

Hey! If anyone golf's or plays hockey, make sure to bring the necessary equipment when you move!!!

Sounds good I'm bringing my clubs maybe we get some people to play in that golf tourny at the school they are advertising.

just do it... i'm the opposite with a 3.1 gpa and 34 mcat and this is my first time applying. I'm counting on at least a DO acceptance but I'm doing RFU anyways just in case and maybe a way to get a shot at MD. Honestly though, at this point i dont really care too much... i just want to do something productive ive been out of school for a year and it's weird.

if ur pulling out 350k in loans for med school, what's another 50k...

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on how I can furnish my place since I don't have a car, any past students faced this dilemma? How did you deal with it? I'm pretty stressed out about this actually, even if I had a car, I can't lug all this stuff around, I'm a pretty small girl... so do I just hire movers, anyone have any suggestions for movers then?

on the same note, how are you guys getting all your stuff to Chicago, are you just going to buy it all there, or are you going to ship it in boxes (since we're only allowed two 50lb suitcases on the plane... again if anyone has any good suggestions for shipping companies, please let me know, thanks :)
ikea

Well, I'm rejected. Took it quite well.
Meanwhile I'm headed for a scholarship supported graduate level 12 month medical technology program at Thomas Jefferson University.

Trying to figuring things out. Looking into SGU (Caribbean) immediately after the med tech program.
Why would do you wanna do the med tech program if you're looking to go to SGU immediately? What not just apply to SGU right now? Why don't you apply to DO schools? I was going to do that before I applied here.

BTW what are your stats if you don't mind me asking.

I am applying to the RFU BMS for next year and I have a question for those who were accepted for this year: When is the best time to send your application?

I know that applications open in October for Fall 2011 and I have all the materials ready since I sent all my materials to Amcas. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to send applications as early as possible or wait until januaryish like everyone else. To they give more consideration to early applicants?

Hey Everyone. So the search for a roommate still continues. I currently have I think the last 2Bdrm/2Ba at the Woodlands. Its on the 3rd floor, so it has high ceilings and a fireplace.
I'm a male, and just graduated from USC. I'm from LA, and I'm a pretty clean/organized roommate. Message me if you're interested.

For those of you moving to north chicago looking for furniture... I am selling my extremely comfortable reclining sofa and 2 bar stools. The sofa was purchased last September, its in great condition, and is honestly the most comfortable sofa i have ever sat on (not saying that just because im trying to sell it). The sofa was bought for 600$ brand new. The bar stools are just what you would expect. They were 25$ each brand new.

I am moving away from the woodlands and my new place already has furniture so i dont need this stuff anymore. I am willing to give these away for a steal, like 300$ for everything. You can come check it out when you get here if you want. PM me if you are interested. It would be great if you were moving to the woodlands because we could just carry the sofa to your place.

Why would do you wanna do the med tech program if you're looking to go to SGU immediately? What not just apply to SGU right now? Why don't you apply to DO schools? I was going to do that before I applied here.

BTW what are your stats if you don't mind me asking.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I was seriously studying for it but unfortunately had to take a medical leave during my last year of udergrad. I'm taking it in October. That might make it impossible for me to apply to DO programs.

The medical technology program contains graduate level courses and I'll be on full scholarship.

I'm also looking into the MD options in Israel.

U of C, a group has already been started, search it!