Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2010/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clhc18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, New thread!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

cool, anyone know the true percentages of # of students that get in?

I asked the admissions office when the acceptances will be sent out.

They told me the first round of acceptances have been mailed out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that they were going to be notifying via email as well.....

gatewasani, I have heard rumors of 70% of BMS students being accepted into CMS, given you perform well in the program

i'm at a crossroads and am really trying to weigh my options. Program sounds promising but it's real risky given the fact of how expensive it is. It may be my only shot at MD tho...

Question for y'all
are any of you guys planning on doing applications before the program starts. If we get interviews at other schools...do you think that we'll be able to attend them without uprooting our entire schedules, will professors be accommodating at all for any material missed, while we're at an interview?

I was under the impression that they were going to be notifying via email as well.....

gatewasani, I have heard rumors of 70% of BMS students being accepted into CMS, given you perform well in the program

Yeah I thought they would notify by e-mail as successful applicants from last year said they got acceptance e-mails.

i'm at a crossroads and am really trying to weigh my options. Program sounds promising but it's real risky given the fact of how expensive it is. It may be my only shot at MD tho...

Question for y'all
are any of you guys planning on doing applications before the program starts. If we get interviews at other schools...do you think that we'll be able to attend them without uprooting our entire schedules, will professors be accommodating at all for any material missed, while we're at an interview?
I plan to have my apps done before starting.

I would miss a day of classes to interview. If it was a test, I would first try to arrange an alt interview date. Beyond that, who knows.

I'm in the same boat. I plan on applying before the program and making arrangements around testing to attend interviews. I'm sure they expect students to be applying to M.D. programs while in the BMS program, so I assume they are lenient with regards to missing a class or 2.

I'm in the same boat with all of you. I'm sending in my application either by the end of this week or next week. If I get in, I plan to have my AMCAS all done before the program starts. I'd rather do secondaries over the summer than during classes. Good luck everyone!

HOw many schools do you guys plan on applying to? I'm thinking around 20
also, are you guys applying to MD schools only or DO too

Did anyone receive any acceptance e-mails?

Last edited:
Haven't gotten any emails yet. I hope they will be sending one. I'm only applying to MD programs. Probably around 20, depending on my verbal score.... after my retake lol! (god i hate that section)

Haven't gotten any emails yet. I hope they will be sending one. I'm only applying to MD programs. Probably around 20, depending on my verbal score.... after my retake lol! (god i hate that section)

verbal's hard but I HATE Physical SCIENCES!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my acceptance letter today!! whoo hoo!! Will definitely be attending. Good luck to everyone!!

Just received my acceptance letter today!! whoo hoo!! Will definitely be attending. Good luck to everyone!!

congrats! I was wondering if you could post ur stats?

wait nvm..i noticed you sent me a PM from a long time ago...thnx for the encouragement..

Btw..did you ever receive any acceptance e-mails or just the letter?

Last edited:
I never received an email, just standard mail. How long ago did you apply the program?

gatewasani, I have a 3.94 and a brutal (bs 9, ps 9, v4, Q)...can you tell i didn't practice any verbal haha.... anyways im retaking it april 17th, this time with much more practice. I really dislike standardized testing:)

I don't know your stats.....:confused:

i had it in a previous post....3.94, MCAT 21L, I'm graduating with a double major in bio and med sci in July 2010.

To clhc18 I appllied in January. They said they finished reviewing my stuff and while back ago. Probably mail takes longer to arrive because my preferred mailing address is in Canada.

But I'm relieved that they didn't send any acceptance e-mails to successful applicatns b/c last yr they sent e-mails.

Well hopefully you will be hearing from them this month. As I said before, I waited 5 months because i had my app in the week it became available. I'm sure you will get in. Someone from last years cycle had a <3.3 gpa and a similar mcat and was admitted (read the first page of the rosalind bms 09-10 forum).

I think i've said this before but If I were either of you, there is no way I would spend $50k on this program...chc...your verbal score shouldn't be too hard to get up with solid practice. Also, how do you know that CSM won't reject you due to the low mcat?

I'm retaking the mcat, and from previous forum posts people have been accepted to cms with low mcats, given they do well in the program. Even if i don't get into cms, I still come out with the m.s. degree....which i was going to grad school anyways if i couldn't get in. It will help my app no matter what, so to me its worth it.

I'm retaking the mcat, and from previous forum posts people have been accepted to cms with low mcats, given they do well in the program. Even if i don't get into cms, I still come out with the m.s. degree....which i was going to grad school anyways if i couldn't get in. It will help my app no matter what, so to me its worth it.

true, is the masters worth anything tho?
What type of jobs can you get with it if you ultimately fail to get in to med school? I can't really think of anything except, perhaps, community college teacher

research at the university hospital level and possible publications, transition point to PhD, biomedical field/pharmaceutical companies, etc.

None of those are ideal if your pursuit is medical school but it would probably open a few doors to opportunities that will help out your application if you have to do a glide year (publications/biomedical work). But for the record, I'd rather get a good MCAT score and apply in with your GPA like gatewasani said.

This is true I would to, but hell, I may never score a 10 on the verbal so i'm just doing what i can to take some of that focus away from the mcat. I want to use the program as a steping stone to med school, not as a means to finding a job when i'm done with the program. I want to do whatever it takes to get in....if its next year awesome, if its 3 yrs from now then im going to stick it out till i eventually get there haha. I pondered doing an EMT training and doing that for a bit, but i opted for this. it is what it is

So if you get one C in this program you don't have a chance of getting into CMS next year

So if you get one C in this program you don't have a chance of getting into CMS next year

Well I don't think there's any steadfast rule but a C in a class probably greatly reduces your chances. E-mail Dr. Pullen and ask
cleardot.gif
[email protected]
Obviously no one heading into the program is planning on getting C's but it obviously happens, I think overall GPA matters the most but a C, even if it is just one will probably hurt you a good deal which would subsequently lower your GPA in the program.

Hey for those who received acceptance letters, how long do you have to make the deposit

hey guys..got my acceptance letter today....hope to see you guys in August.

Hey guys...I was wondering where everyone is living next year?

The application deadline is March 12, don't think my mail will get in time.

For those of you who have solid GPAs and weak MCATs, do NOT attend this program. The degree is pretty much worthless in the real world and it will cost you nearly $56k to attend plus living cost. Do yourself a favor and spend some time studying for the MCAT, improve your extracurriculars such as volunteering, shadowing, etc. More importantly, it's not a walk in the park program. If you F up, you're going to the Carribeans. I would seriously question your decision making ability if you chose to enroll in the program due to a weak MCAT score.

For those of you who have solid GPAs and weak MCATs, do NOT attend this program. The degree is pretty much worthless in the real world and it will cost you nearly $56k to attend plus living cost. Do yourself a favor and spend some time studying for the MCAT, improve your extracurriculars such as volunteering, shadowing, etc. More importantly, it's not a walk in the park program. If you F up, you're going to the Carribeans. I would seriously question your decision making ability if you chose to enroll in the program due to a weak MCAT score.

Attending this program gives a much better chance of getting into CMS specifically then if you took the year off and studied for your MCAT.

I haven't made my decision yet (I am leaning towards attending)

Btw...are there any past exams available for the BMS courses?

I'm attending regardless and retaking the mcat. smp's are for any kind of deficiency, gpa mcat or even just because you have a gap year. yea it expensive, but i feel it more worth while than taking an entire year off to do More volunteering and More shadowing; that is a little redundant and doesn't make anyone look any more appealing to admissions.

sami, I'm living in gurnee. it about 10miles from campus and there is a little bit more going on around their than in North chicago, and congrats!!

Just got my acceptance letter also...I am between this and BU MAMS.

I don't like what I have heard about the limitations of only going to CMS....does anyone know what the acceptance rates are for med schools in general not just CMS! The BU program does not have as strong of a link with its medical school as RF; however it has a high percent admissions into med schools around the country.

anyone having a similar issue with deciding?

Also, where are you guys planning on living if you are going to the program?

Last thing: are we allowed to send a deposit to multiple schools and then back out of one later or are you bound to the school?

thanks and good luck to everyone!

I read in one of these forums that A LOT of CA residents come to this program with high GPAs who can't get into CA medical schools and end up taking a lot of the spots at CMS over students who come in with lower GPAs....is this true?

I read in one of these forums that A LOT of CA residents come to this program with high GPAs who can't get into CA medical schools and end up taking a lot of the spots at CMS over students who come in with lower GPAs....is this true?

It probably depends on the students that apply that year. I just look through the facebook group members of 2009 and 2010 BMS students and although there are some California students, the majority seem to be from the Chicago area.

Ok thanks, someone should start up a new facebook group for 2010-11 class...

Just got my acceptance letter also...I am between this and BU MAMS.

I don't like what I have heard about the limitations of only going to CMS....does anyone know what the acceptance rates are for med schools in general not just CMS! The BU program does not have as strong of a link with its medical school as RF; however it has a high percent admissions into med schools around the country.

anyone having a similar issue with deciding?

Also, where are you guys planning on living if you are going to the program?

Last thing: are we allowed to send a deposit to multiple schools and then back out of one later or are you bound to the school?

thanks and good luck to everyone!

I know that BU is more nationally recognized as one of the better SMPs. But I didn't apply to BU because it takes 2 years w/ thesis.

I was wondering if former/current BMSers can give their 2 cents on which certificate track programs to study?

for the application does anyone know if for references and transcripts we can have both mailed directly to the school at the same address given for our application through the university? As I have medical letters in a reference letter file online that I can forward to whatever address I give, similarly with ordering official transcripts and having them sent to any address. Thanks

How long does it take to hear back after being complete? I was just marked complete about a week ago.

for the application does anyone know if for references and transcripts we can have both mailed directly to the school at the same address given for our application through the university? As I have medical letters in a reference letter file online that I can forward to whatever address I give, similarly with ordering official transcripts and having them sent to any address. Thanks
I sent all my material to 3333 Green Bay Rd.

How long does it take to hear back after being complete? I was just marked complete about a week ago.

I mailed them my stuff in early January. I got my acceptance letter mid-March

In last year's posts, I think they give some time to the first rounders to decide before they send out the next round.

Are you suppose to apply to Rosalind through amcas again or are you just granted an interview with the medical school without having to do the whole amcas process again.

That is a good question and I have no idea. I'm assuming you would have to apply through amcas so they can suck a few extra dollars out of you

I answered this in the older forum but i might as well reiterate. You apply through AMCAS and automatically receive a secondary. You must complete it by the normal deadline and then chose an interview date in Jan/Feb/March. You will be reviewed for acceptance towards the end of the year after most of your BMS grades have come through.

I visited RF the other day and I really liked what I saw! Nice campus and nice people. I am for sure going this fall and wondering if anyone is for sure going is looking for a roommate. I am thinking about living on campus and not sure how they assign you a roommate, but let me know if you are interested.