Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2010/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what date the Orientation is?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail but I'm not sure where they list Orientation dates or class schedules. Does anyone know when we find that out or does anyone already know? I especially wanted to know the exam schedules for August. If any former BMSers could tell me how often exams are given (specifically in the first month of classes) I would really appreciate it. Is it likely that an exam would be given on the last Monday of the month of August?

Orientation is from Tuesday August 10 to Friday August 13. You can download the schedules for the schoolyear here: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/DNN...ents/StudentSchedules/tabid/2310/Default.aspx
If you look at the M1 2010-11 draft, it should give you a good idea of the schoolyear. For BMS, you will only take CMCB and Biochemistry the first quarter, Physiology starts in the second quarter and Neuroscience in the Spring quarter (unless they change the curriculum for the BMS program). You will also take Topics in Physiology in the winter and spring quarter, but that class is BMS only so it's not shown on the M1 schedule, and also there are your track (certificate) classes.
Looks like there will be an exam every 2 weeks and they still haven't gotten rid of the exams after break thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone knows how the grading system works. Is it numerical or does only the top 10-15% get As.

Re: Fire 490

So just to make sure you added RFUMS to your list of schools but when it asks if a transcript is required from the school you selected "No"

Thanks!

Hey,

Sorry for responding late .... but thats exactly what I did and then they give you some options as why you selected No... select "Current (spring, summer, fall) or upcoming (spring, summer) coursework, no previous enrollment at this school."

I was wondering if anyone knows how the grading system works. Is it numerical or does only the top 10-15% get As.

I assume it will work the same as it did this past. I was a traditional M1 at CMS this pastr year but the BMS students were graded the same way we were. For most courses a 90% is an A no matter how many students do that well. Biochem uses a t-score which essentially sets the mean to 82% and those that are a standard deviation and a half above it get an A or something like that. For most other courses if the median is below an 82% they adjust the grades by adding the difference to everyones score. The mean or median (courses will use one or the other) are all based on M1s only and the BMS scores are not taken into account. You would think that would always help the BMS students because that have half the courses (and hence more time to study) and it did in most courses except neuro which the M1s did a little better in since we had anatomy previously. So I guess you don't have to worry about others doing bad or many people people getting A's because it wont prevent you from getting one.

i just got in yesterday and am looking for a (male, nice, clean, chill) roommate. pm if interested in living on campus. thanks!

Orientation is from Tuesday August 10 to Friday August 13. You can download the schedules for the schoolyear here: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/DNN...ents/StudentSchedules/tabid/2310/Default.aspx
If you look at the M1 2010-11 draft, it should give you a good idea of the schoolyear. For BMS, you will only take CMCB and Biochemistry the first quarter, Physiology starts in the second quarter and Neuroscience in the Spring quarter (unless they change the curriculum for the BMS program). You will also take Topics in Physiology in the winter and spring quarter, but that class is BMS only so it's not shown on the M1 schedule, and also there are your track (certificate) classes.
Looks like there will be an exam every 2 weeks and they still haven't gotten rid of the exams after break thing.

Tuesday's (9/29/09) Exam was comprised of Biochemistry Exam 2 (4 hrs), CMCB Exam 2 (4 hrs) and Physiology Exam 1 (5 hrs). Does that mean that all three subjects were combined into one exam? The designated exam time was only 2 hours.

Tuesday's (9/29/09) Exam was comprised of Biochemistry Exam 2 (4 hrs), CMCB Exam 2 (4 hrs) and Physiology Exam 1 (5 hrs). Does that mean that all three subjects were combined into one exam? The designated exam time was only 2 hours.

Yeah, all three subjects were on this exam (I was a BMS student last yr). There were 12 CMCB, 12 Biochem, and 18 Physio questions on this 2 hr exam. For me, there was always plenty of time to complete each exam. Although I was nervous for this exam because it was our first combined exam and I didn't know if I was spending too much time studying one subject over another, I remember this exam was actually one of the easiest for me. Maybe the material was simply easier to understand, or maybe the professors purposely asked easier questions because they knew it was our first combined exam... most likely the former.

Also, if you check out the M1 schedule 10-11 draft, it looks like all of your CMCB exams will be combined w/ Biochem. This is different from last yr.

Yeah, all three subjects were on this exam (I was a BMS student last yr). There were 12 CMCB, 12 Biochem, and 18 Physio questions on this 2 hr exam. For me, there was always plenty of time to complete each exam. Although I was nervous for this exam because it was our first combined exam and I didn't know if I was spending too much time studying one subject over another, I remember this exam was actually one of the easiest for me. Maybe the material was simply easier to understand, or maybe the professors purposely asked easier questions because they knew it was our first combined exam... most likely the former.

Also, if you check out the M1 schedule 10-11 draft, it looks like all of your CMCB exams will be combined w/ Biochem. This is different from last yr.

hey the champion, were you admitted to CMS? mind sharing your stats b4 starting the program and gpa in the program if you were successful

Questions:

1. Is everyone bringing a car?

2. Are you guys choosing "Plan A" or "Plan B" student health insurance, $177 and $155 respectively.

3. Anyone have any idea which cell phone service (Verizon or ATT) functions well at RFU and Chicago?

Last edited:
Questions:

2. Are you guys choosing "Plan A" or "Plan B" student health insurance, $177 and $155 respectively.

3. Anyone have any idea which cell phone service (Verizon or ATT) functions well at RFU and Chicago?

Hey - I've been at Northwestern for the last 4 years and also visited RFU campus. I can tell you with complete certainty that ATT sucks in both areas! Dropped calls and low signals. Go with Verizon - all my friends get way better reception than I do.

As far as a car is concerned, DEFINITELY bring one! I have my car in FL and I'm planning to drive it up before school starts. RFU is kinda in a weird location, between two towns. You need to drive at least 2-3 miles before getting into a town for shopping and groceries. And with no bus system and the metra line almost 1 1/2 miles away, its a good idea to either get a car or befriend someone with one early ; )

I'm not sure about the student insurance. Did you get an email about it, because I haven't. I know that some people were missing forms (like concentration choice) from the beginning. Let me know.

See you in 2 months!

all cell phones suck in the school. I have verizon and its good in the surrounding area..but i get no service in school unless I walk to a window. I thought AT&T was better in school but I'm not sure

Members don't see this ad :)
all cell phones suck in the school. I have verizon and its good in the surrounding area..but i get no service in school unless I walk to a window. I thought AT&T was better in school but I'm not sure
I have Sprint and got great service everywhere in the school except in the anatomy lab and anatomy locker room.

I heard people with one C and the rest Bs didn't get in this time around...Can somebody confirm this? Last year people with one C and a B average did get in.

thank you to everyone who has answered my questions!

To the previous BMSers:

Do you need a car? I read somewhere that there is a shuttle that brings you to where there are stores or something like that.

Are grocery stores within walking distance?

Thanks!

Anyone taking out 100% student loan or am i the only unfortunate soul? Sigh.....

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you. It is going to hurt.

To the previous BMSers:

Do you need a car? I read somewhere that there is a shuttle that brings you to where there are stores or something like that.

Are grocery stores within walking distance?

Thanks!

You definitely don't want to walk to the Jewel Osco (local grocery store) which is 2 miles away. I'm gonna bring my car - i suggest you do the same if u have one.

Questions:

Verizon is awful in the main auditorium and some areas of the library. I think the best bet is T-Mobile or Sprint.

I heard people with one C and the rest Bs didn't get in this time around...Can somebody confirm this? Last year people with one C and a B average did get in.

I was a BMS student this past year and I don't know about this, but since the curriculum changed this past year, a lot of students performed really well. The professors said this was the "smartest M1 class ever", which I think was aided by the new curriculum (not to say that this year's M1 class wasn't smart). Exams were almost every other week so there was less to memorize for each exam. Anyway, the point is that since everyone did so well, it might have been less likely to survive with one C like the previous years (i.e. the bar has been raised). Even then, it's not like everyone with 1 C and the rest B's got into the program.. those students might have had very good interviews, relationships with the professors (who could vouch for the students), etc. The advice I can give is don't worry too much about who got in or didn't get in with what grades.. many professors on the admissions board have told me that there is no quota for how many students get into CMS from the BMS program. Try your best to get at least 1 A in the four core classes (Physio, MCB, Biochem, Neuro), and no C's. And get to know the professors as best as you can. That's the great thing about RFUMS -- I've never been to a school where the professors are so willing to help; they'll help you out a lot.

Also, if any of you have questions about the certificate tracks or anything else about the program, feel free to ask. I'm more than welcome to help. I know I had questions last year too.

Finally, if you guys are hearing ridiculous rumors, email Dr. Pullen (our BMS dean) and he'll squash any rumors that are untrue.. there's no need to stress about false facts.

Question: I know someone has previously posted that MCAT does not matter. Will a MCAT score of 24M be too low when it comes to acceptances during the interview stage?

Question: I know someone has previously posted that MCAT does not matter. Will a MCAT score of 24M be too low when it comes to acceptances during the interview stage?

Like current and previous BMS students have posted before, your BMS GPA will be a huge factor, and also a good interview can't hurt either. Once your in the program, don't worry about your MCAT score b/c they obviously think your good enough for their BMS program.

EDIT: I'm not a BMS student yet (starting this Aug) but this is what I have heard from BMSers.

On AMCAS, are we suppose to fill anything out under the 'Course Work' section for RFU?

Until now I was assuming that we would leave it blank...

Course work is left blank, and as you have already figured out I'm sure, you don't need a transcript either.

It's almost July and we only have 16 members on the facebook group?

For those of you on fb, do join the group:

Rosalind Franklin University BMS 2011

Hey guys,

Congrats to the people that got in. Does anyone know how many students are accepted into BMS each year or how large the class is?

Thanks in advance

i just got placed on the waitlist and they said theyll place me in once vacancies are available. however, i called the other day and the secretary said they are a lil over half full. does this mean they are waiting for people who got accepted to confirm their acceptance? what are the chances ill be taken off the waitlist?

i just got placed on the waitlist and they said theyll place me in once vacancies are available. however, i called the other day and the secretary said they are a lil over half full. does this mean they are waiting for people who got accepted to confirm their acceptance? what are the chances ill be taken off the waitlist?

what are your stats, i got waitlisted as well

I just got my acceptance letter today! :D

I'm pretty psyched. Too bad the friend I was gonna room with figured out his living situation already...:mad:

Hey BMSers:

To anyone who received the secondary...is it (the following)? I just saw this from a forum post and I wanted to confirm.

1. At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an interprofessional
team.

Last edited:
speaking of the secondary......why won't it let you type in the pdf. I sent them an email asking if there is a way to be able to type in it. I don't know if they locked it or what. My hand writing is brutal so it would be nice to type

speaking of the secondary......why won't it let you type in the pdf. I sent them an email asking if there is a way to be able to type in it. I don't know if they locked it or what. My hand writing is brutal so it would be nice to type

I had the same problem. If you are using a mac, consider the application FormulatePro. You can get it here:

http://code.google.com/p/formulatepro/

I don't know a pc equivalent if you are using a pc. Hope this helps! :D

Could a current BMS student or anybody else familiar inform me about the Woodlands apartments vs on-campus student housing? I know Woodlands would be cheaper, but they are at similar walking distances right?

Woodlands ratings online aren't that great either

Feel free to pm if you want.

Anyone that appplied for student housing get any detailed information via e-mail about moving in, etc.

Anyone that appplied for student housing get any detailed information via e-mail about moving in, etc.

I got waitlisted...i'm so frustrated...

looking for a roomie that has a room ;) lol

I called today about it. They said they'll send an email about move-in sometime next week.

Hey BMSers:

To anyone who received the secondary...is it (the following)? I just saw this from a forum post and I wanted to confirm.

1. At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an interprofessional
team.

Is there a word, character or page limit to the secondary prompt?

So... I'm waiting to get off of this waitlist. If I'm lucky and get off it... would u guys suggest I try to find off campus housing?

Going through this thread, it seems that on campus housing will be filled up by then...