Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2010/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I noticed that people are getting acceptance letters via mail. Did you also receive an email acceptance or just regular mail?

Perhaps this late in the cycle they will be offering email acceptances if they haven't already.:)

Members don't see this ad.

RFU.... what a place.... how is North Chicago? im interested in the location.

I noticed that people are getting acceptance letters via mail. Did you also receive an email acceptance or just regular mail?

Perhaps this late in the cycle they will be offering email acceptances if they haven't already.:)

I got mine through snail mail

Members don't see this ad :)
acceptances/rejections come via regular snail mail

waitlist comes via e-mail

acceptance off waitilist comes via e-mail

Does anybody know anything about the Biomedical Sciences Admissions Committee. Is at least the program director (Dr. Pullen) on it? What about Melissa?

All this waiting and the hot Florida weather is driving me crazy. Meanwhile, work,work, work.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can find out what books to buy? Especially for Biochem and CMCB since they are the fall term classes.

Also, for past BMSers... I noticed from the M1 2010-11 draft schedule that the first exam is a combined Biochem and CMCB. But last year (from the BMS 2009 schedule) the first exam for each of these classes was not combined.

How did you find last year's first exams for these classes to be? Were they tougher than you expected? Do you think the fact that it will be combined this year will make it harder than last year's? Is it even certain that this first exam will be combined? Thanks!

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from the school or not?

Hey to accepted BMSers

Have any of you guys/girls gotten info on tuition payment?

Does anyone know where I can find out what books to buy? Especially for Biochem and CMCB since they are the fall term classes.

Also, for past BMSers... I noticed from the M1 2010-11 draft schedule that the first exam is a combined Biochem and CMCB. But last year (from the BMS 2009 schedule) the first exam for each of these classes was not combined.

How did you find last year's first exams for these classes to be? Were they tougher than you expected? Do you think the fact that it will be combined this year will make it harder than last year's? Is it even certain that this first exam will be combined? Thanks!

I wouldn't buy any books right now. You definitely do not need to buy anything for CMCB..they have a text book but I didn't look at it once. And you can borrow it from the library reserve desk if you really want to see it. The notes are sufficient. I personally didn't buy anything for Biochem. Some people bought Lippincott's (http://www.amazon.com/Lippincotts-Illustrated-Reviews-Biochemistry-American/dp/160831412X) and found that helpful but its available to borrow at the library too. I would wait until you start the course, borrow from the lib, and see if you like it/will use it. The notes have everything you need to know though.

I wouldn't worry so much about the combined exams. They aren't that bad. If anything, I feel like they are easier on you when they are combined versus when they are just one subject exams. Just keep up with your studies and you'll know the material. You'll get lots of study tips during orientation. Just enjoy the rest of your summer so you're refreshed and ready to study a lot in the Fall!

Does anyone know when applications are reviewed? Maybe there's a specific time each month? Or, maybe we should just except anything now that it's this late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone apply for the scholarship?

If you did, have you heard anything yet?

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear the results for the scholarship application?

Did anyone apply for the scholarship?

If you did, have you heard anything yet?

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear the results for the scholarship application?

I called asking about that and was told we'll hear back once the class is finalized, and that can be up to orientation

Mistaken message. Meant to type this for another program. Sorry!

Last edited:
Has anyone else heard the same thing? I was told the other day that there were like 15 or so spots left yet by Dr. Pullen... but he said he was not too sure. Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from the program?!

I called today and was told "we are just a little under 2/3 full". However, some people will give up their seats because they get accepted to MD or DO programs, or other programs.

I received an email the end of May that stated they were "almost half full". It took about six weeks to get from "almost half" to "a little under 2/3".

Just wanted to let you guys know that I am still considering it but am not sure I will attend. I was just offered a lucrative lab job with full scholarship for a Cytotechnology program. Long story.

Goodluck!

Has anyone else heard the same thing? I was told the other day that there were like 15 or so spots left yet by Dr. Pullen... but he said he was not too sure. Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from the program?!

Mistaken message. Meant to type this for another program. Sorry!

all cell phones suck in the school. I have verizon and its good in the surrounding area..but i get no service in school unless I walk to a window. I thought AT&T was better in school but I'm not sure

I had Tmobile this year and I never had a problem!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I called today and informed them I am no longer interested in the program
I'm....

*24 y/o with a dental hygenist wife and zero kids
*accepted to a D.O. program in my state so my wife can keep her job
*waiting to hear from BU MAMS and Rosalind Franklin BMS (decided to just go D.O.)
*Accepted into a Cytotechnology M.S. program with full scholarship and lucrative career opportunities

-----
Good luck to anyone still wanting in!

For your sake, I obtained the following nugget of information:
People have been accepted up through orientation before. There is a sort of condensed orientation thingy for ppl that missed the real thing.

Congrats on the DO school admission! And thanks for all the information. Good luck to you

Good luck where ever you go!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I called today and informed them I am no longer interested in the program
I'm....

*24 y/o with a dental hygenist wife and zero kids
*accepted to a D.O. program in my state so my wife can keep her job
*waiting to hear from BU MAMS and Rosalind Franklin BMS (decided to just go D.O.)
*Accepted into a Cytotechnology M.S. program with full scholarship and lucrative career opportunities

-----
Good luck to anyone still wanting in!

For your sake, I obtained the following nugget of information:
People have been accepted up through orientation before. There is a sort of condensed orientation thingy for ppl that missed the real thing.

I will most likely be attending... I'm waitlisted at a medical school, but at this stage in the game, things aren't looking to promising...

To those inquiring about whether or not RF has sent out any tuition plans... I have so far received my financial aid package... loans are covering everything... so much money!

I was wondering if anyone knows the essay prompts for the secondaries... I would like to finish my application before starting school so that it doesn't get in the way of studying... I hate writing essays! ugh

Good luck to those who are waitlisted/ waiting to hear

the essay prompts are the same as last year.

look at the chicago medical school application thread for 09-10

They are very slow. I left a message over 48 hours ago that I am no longer interested in the program. I also sent an email. No response. Maybe they just don't respond to everything....

In the past I've emailed them and it would take days to get a response.
Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
I just received confirmation that they received my resignation from the review process. I'm headed to PCOM (Philadelphia, PA) soon. Well,I already live in Philadelphia:D

Chicago Medical School at RFUMS is getting a new Dean. This could lead to changes in the way BMS students have been admitted to CMS. Just a thought.

Good luck! One seat definately opened up.

Last edited:
Guys I just got into Rosalind Franklin BMS ... I also got into Boston MAMS to which I sent my 200 deposit already.

I have a small problem though. I really want to go to RFU but I listed that I was going to take a summer class at UCLA. I only took two quarters of general biology, so I said I'd take the third quarter at UCLA. The class starts on 8/2/10 and ends 9/10/10 and I wrote that on my application, but the RFU program starts on 8/16!!

The class is ecology&biodiversity... I took a ecology and biodiversity lab and took all other kinds of upper division bio courses because I was a biochem major. What should I do? Can I call them and ask them to waive it? Everytime I call them no one picks up.

Guys I just got into Rosalind Franklin BMS ... I also got into Boston MAMS to which I sent my 200 deposit already.

I have a small problem though. I really want to go to RFU but I listed that I was going to take a summer class at UCLA. I only took two quarters of general biology, so I said I'd take the third quarter at UCLA. The class starts on 8/2/10 and ends 9/10/10 and I wrote that on my application, but the RFU program starts on 8/16!!

The class is ecology&biodiversity... I took a ecology and biodiversity lab and took all other kinds of upper division bio courses because I was a biochem major. What should I do? Can I call them and ask them to waive it? Everytime I call them no one picks up.

Do Boston MAMS! Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Do Boston MAMS! Seems like a no-brainer to me.
But I want to try to get into CMS for next year. My stats are 3.07 BCPM and 34R MCAT. For BU MAMS, I'd have to apply next year to have my MAMS coursework have any consideration.

Guys I sent my AMCAS in already, but just got an acceptance today. I didn't list RFU in my AMCAS coursework. What should I do?

But I want to try to get into CMS for next year. My stats are 3.07 BCPM and 34R MCAT. For BU MAMS, I'd have to apply next year to have my MAMS coursework have any consideration.

email Dr. Gordon [email protected] ..and Dr Susan Tappert.. [email protected]

They're BMS directors. Pullen is really good at checking email and responding.. Tappert I wouldn't expect to hear anything before Monday..to be safe you can also email [email protected] .. she's Pullen's secretary and does everything for him and she's awesome. They'll tell you if its ok or who you need to contact at CMS

Hi Everyone,
I'm currently looking for a roommate to share a 2-bdrm apartment at the Woodlands. I am a 21 year old male, and went to USC for undergrad. I'm from Los Angeles, so I don't know anyone else in the area/in the program. I'm a clean, studious yet outgoing type of person. PM me if you're interested and we can talk over facebook or whatever...

Last edited:
23 yo female from NYC looking to share a 2 bedroom, preferably at Woodlands, but definitely open to other places, ... I'm very friendly, clean, respectful, studious, and tolerant, I also love to cook... ok, enough of the personal ad I guess,
please feel free to send me a pm if you would be interested in sharing an apartment

So now that I've been accepted and all, I should finish up AMCAS and list RFU in the process as well correct? I know that they're looking at the GPA in the program more than my cruddy undergrad and mcat right? Just want to make sure.

Hi Everyone,
I'm currently looking for a roommate to share a 2-bdrm apartment at the Woodlands. I am a 21 year old male, and went to USC for undergrad. I'm from Los Angeles, so I don't know anyone else in the area/in the program. I'm a clean, studious yet outgoing type of person. PM me if you're interested and we can talk over facebook or whatever...
you also posted this in the BU thread are you going to BU or RFU

So now that I've been accepted and all, I should finish up AMCAS and list RFU in the process as well correct? I know that they're looking at the GPA in the program more than my cruddy undergrad and mcat right? Just want to make sure.

That is correct. Apparently if you get straight As, MCAT and GPA don't matter according to some past BMSerss

Are you korean by the way?

That is correct. Apparently if you get straight As, MCAT and GPA don't matter according to some past BMSerss

Are you korean by the way?

Sweeet, time to finish that amcas this week.

and yes im korean...what gave it away? :p

When is everyone planning on checking into Woodlands or the school housing? I am coming from So Cal on August 8th.

Hey guys...I got into a Canadian med school so I will be giving up my spot at RFU...good luck to all of you guys..

Still haven't heard anything.

Should I assume rejection?

Guess most people have finally heard back by now. If you already have a place and need a roomate pm me.

Last edited:
So Gordon Pullen waived the class I said I would be taking.

One weird thing though, I got my acceptance in the mail on Friday and I got an e-mail today saying that I am past my confirmation deadline and that I need to confirm by the 23rd or my application will be withdrawn. I sent in my confirmation today, but wtf? It's only been a few days. The letter said 2 weeks.

So Gordon Pullen waived the class I said I would be taking.

One weird thing though, I got my acceptance in the mail on Friday and I got an e-mail today saying that I am past my confirmation deadline and that I need to confirm by the 23rd or my application will be withdrawn. I sent in my confirmation today, but wtf? It's only been a few days. The letter said 2 weeks.

Same here, I actually just got my acceptance in the mail today and received an email later today stating that I'm past my confirmation deadline and have until the 23rd to accept. I'm sure if we email them, they'll take into consideration the fact that we just recently received our offer.

Same here, I actually just got my acceptance in the mail today and received an email later today stating that I'm past my confirmation deadline and have until the 23rd to accept. I'm sure if we email them, they'll take into consideration the fact that we just recently received our offer.
Yeah, it's weird. The post-mark on the acceptance packet says 7/12 which means it took about a week to get here, but it still doesn't add up to the 2 weeks we supposedly have to make our decision. I hope my snail mail gets there in time. I just responded to the e-mail saying I just got the offer on Friday and I would be accepting the offer.

School starts in less than a month! :eek:

So I received an acceptance into the BMS program just today. I'm obviously quite happy and excited!

However, I have a lot of thinking to do between now and a bit before mid August when classes begin, which is not a lot of time! Although I'd love to jump at the offer, I am a bit hesitant, namely because of the gamble time-wise and cost-wise. It also doesn't help that I'm from Canada and hence will have international student status. Dr. Pullen has however told me that RFU doesn't discriminate against internationals, particularly Canadians, so that's a bit reassuring.

Overall, I'm in a real dilemma right now. I told my parents about the offer and they're really quite skeptical. Even the supposed 70% acceptance rate doesn't quite sway them. They think this is a money-making scam, go figure. The real question for them, and for myself as well, is what if you don't succeed in getting into CMS even if you do well or let's say averagely well? What has happened to the '30%' of people who don't make it into CMS? Do they get into other schools after a lag year or do they get completely screwed over? And although it seems a bit iffy to use this program as a stepping stone into CMS, it seems that this is the goal of almost every BMSer and therefore competition will be tough.

So I'm sitting here trying to logically think out this offer and potential route of action. My 3.1 GPA and 27P MCAT (which I'm re-writing next week) will get me nowhere (perhaps DO- I was waitlisted for an interview at a school last cycle) in the med arena both in the U.S. and Canada. I do have an acceptance to an Australian school for January which I'm also thinking over very carefully. I already have a masters, a research-based M.Sc. to be specific, and so this masters wouldn't help me if I wanted to do further grad studies (I also have a PhD offer for this fall). So for me it is a total do or die. With all these options and uncertainties, it's becoming almost impossible to make a decision as to my next step *sigh.

I have read through this whole thread and I get a good feeling about the program (finances apart) but I'm still unsure and convincing my parents will assuredly be an uphill battle. I'm just thinking through everything so I apologize for the lengthy post. At this point, I would appreciate any insight, advice and information from people. Many people have already shared some great insights and information so I do thank you for that :)

Last edited:
So I received an acceptance into the BMS program just today. I'm obviously quite happy and excited!

However, I have a lot of thinking to do between now and a bit before mid August when classes begin, which is not a lot of time! Although I'd love to jump at the offer, I am a bit hesitant, namely because of the gamble time-wise and cost-wise. It also doesn't help that I'm from Canada and hence will have international student status. Dr. Pullen has however told me that RFU doesn't discriminate against internationals, particularly Canadians, so that's a bit reassuring.

Overall, I'm in a real dilemma right now. I told my parents about the offer and they're really quite skeptical. Even the supposed 70% acceptance rate doesn't quite sway them. They think this is a money-making scam, go figure. The real question for them, and for myself as well, is what if you don't succeed in getting into CMS even if you do well or let's say averagely well? What has happened to the '30%' of people who don't make it into CMS? Do they get into other schools after a lag year or do they get completely screwed over? And although it seems a bit iffy to use this program as a stepping stone into CMS, it seems that this is the goal of almost every BMSer and therefore competition will be tough.

So I'm sitting here trying to logically think out this offer and potential route of action. My 3.1 GPA and 27P MCAT (which I'm re-writing next week) will get me nowhere (perhaps DO- I was waitlisted for an interview at a school last cycle) in the med arena both in the U.S. and Canada. I do have an acceptance to an Australian school for January which I'm also thinking over very carefully. I already have a masters, a research-based M.Sc. to be specific, and so this masters wouldn't help me if I wanted to do further grad studies (I also have a PhD offer for this fall). So for me it is a total do or die. With all these options and uncertainties, it's becoming almost impossible to make a decision as to my next step *sigh.

I have read through this whole thread and I get a good feeling about the program (finances apart) but I'm still unsure and convincing my parents will assuredly be an uphill battle. I'm just thinking through everything so I apologize for the lengthy post. At this point, I would appreciate any insight, advice and information from people. Many people have already shared some great insights and information so I do thank you for that :)

Is this like the caribbean? or a better option than that. I LOVE Australia but never considered the possibility of going to school there, it's always been the US for me. How is getting a residency after med school in australia?

Lol, I hope it's not a scam! As for me, I am applying for my first time this year, so I don't really have anything to do for the gap year unless I get a job (I turned down some job interviews to do this). Anyways, I am purely going by word of mouth that 70% get into CMS. However, I am also a bit skeptical myself. I don't have a M.S. and my stats are 3.0-3.1 with 34R MCAT. I was going to go to Boston MAMS until I got into here. The reasons why I chose this program are

1) The 70% figure for getting into CMS
2) The program confers a MS instead of an MA at BU. I don't know what this even means or even if an M.S. is better than an M.A. or vice versa.