Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2010/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HEY all RFU BMS future students

I just found out about my acceptance last friday and have been preoccupied w/ preparation of my grandma's funeral this past weekend.

I was wondering if anyone is still needing a roommate. I'm a california girl who likes to be clean, organized and ultimately wants to take care of business when i get there (but also willing to have fun to avoid burn out).

please let me know asap if we can be roomates. I would like to live near campus bc i will not have a car.

Do you know how good the public transportation is around campus?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone. So the search for a roommate still continues. I currently have I think the last 2Bdrm/2Ba at the Woodlands. Its on the 3rd floor, so it has high ceilings and a fireplace.
I'm a male, and just graduated from USC. I'm from LA, and I'm a pretty clean/organized roommate. Message me if you're interested.
dude i messaged you a week ago... anyways im flying up there on friday to check out the apartments

U of C, a group has already been started, search it!

Not that it's a big deal, but "U of C" is how they abbreviate University of Chicago Pritzker. We are CMS = Chicago Medical School.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that it's a big deal, but "U of C" is how they abbreviate University of Chicago Pritzker. We are CMS = Chicago Medical School.
i think he or she is referring to my member name not the actual group :)

I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I was seriously studying for it but unfortunately had to take a medical leave during my last year of udergrad. I'm taking it in October. That might make it impossible for me to apply to DO programs.

The medical technology program contains graduate level courses and I'll be on full scholarship.

I'm also looking into the MD options in Israel.

MozartFan - I'm gonna apply to an Israel program as well. Have you heard of Sackler in Tel Aviv?

i think he or she is referring to my member name not the actual group :)

absolutely right u of c, lol......if i didn't know RFUMS housed CMS then i probably shouldn't be applying in the first place haha....just giving you **** DrBo lol

Hi,

I just found out about my acceptance into the BMS program too. I'm also a female californian girl and am looking for housing. I don't plan to bring my car in either, so may be we could try to find a place near campus and share.
Let's work this out together. Or if anybody on this forum still needs a roommate, you have 2 potential roommates available here.

Thanks.

HEY all RFU BMS future students

I just found out about my acceptance last friday and have been preoccupied w/ preparation of my grandma's funeral this past weekend.

I was wondering if anyone is still needing a roommate. I'm a california girl who likes to be clean, organized and ultimately wants to take care of business when i get there (but also willing to have fun to avoid burn out).

please let me know asap if we can be roomates. I would like to live near campus bc i will not have a car.

thanks!

thanks!

There's not a lot of bus routes around the area at all, because the city of North Chicago lies in the outskirts of Chicago, but apparently there's a free shuttle between the campus and a Metra train Station, the metra can then take you to other CTA stations downtown. CTA is the main train & bus system to get around Chicago.

just went up to woodlands yesterday... and all their 2 bedroom vacancies are 990.. some sort of special. They have 2 2 bedrooms left. They also have the more expensive options for their deluxe 2 bedrooms.

Hey guys did anyone else find out what track they are in today? I found out I was put in the "Healthcare Education track"....the track that i didn't want..LOL

How is everyone getting from the airport to school?

Hey guys did anyone else find out what track they are in today? I found out I was put in the "Healthcare Education track"....the track that i didn't want..LOL

Yea~ I got email about the track today and it turns out that I also got "Healthcare Education" why did you not want this track? Is it hard?

Yea~ I got email about the track today and it turns out that I also got "Healthcare Education" why did you not want this track? Is it hard?

I wanted Healthcare Admin/ Management - because I had alot of stuff from last year and I kind of know what to expect.

To Rach about how to get from the airport.

There are instructions on how to take publc transport from O'Hare to RFUMS in the Life in Chicagoland file....the other option is to get a flat rate taxi cab (about 50 bucks after tips) ----make sure you ask the price before stepping in because some taxi cabs don't follow the flat rate rule..

Members don't see this ad :)

My first choice was the Nutrition track, and my second choice was healthcare management. I also was put in the education track. I wish I could laugh about this. Paying $38k to take 4 classes I have absolutely no interest in.

My first choice was the Nutrition track, and my second choice was healthcare management. I also was put in the education track. I wish I could laugh about this. Paying $38k to take 4 classes I have absolutely no interest in.

I can. Hahaha! :laugh:

j/k ;)

You should be glad you weren't put into the nutrition track --- along with women's health it is the one that requires the most work

You should be glad you weren't put into the nutrition track --- along with women's health it is the one that requires the most work

I don't mind the work. And we have the option of getting a master's in nutrition while we are getting our MD. The master's option goes completely out the window if I'm in the education track.

I don't mind the work. And we have the option of getting a master's in nutrition while we are getting our MD. The master's option goes completely out the window if I'm in the education track.

I'm sure you can get a masters in any of the certificate track program if you continue onto meds at CMS...not sure about Women's health and nutrition but they have a masters for healthcare admin/manage and health profession education

I'm sure you can get a masters in any of the certificate track program if you continue onto meds at CMS...not sure about Women's health and nutrition but they have a masters for healthcare admin/manage and health profession education

edit

Last edited:
I'm aware of that, but I just have no interest in attaining a masters' in health profession education.

I'm pretty sure they will transfer your BMS track classes to the HCAM elective credits if you want to get the HCAM masters when you're in CMS

How is everyone getting from the airport to school?

hey rach! i had the same question.

when you arrive in Chicago, look for the go airport express kiosk at either airport. (http://www.airportexpress.com/)
the cost from O'hare is $45. Hope that helps!

Also, does anyone know about the HCAM courses? Are they all easy? Are some easier than others? Which require the least amount of work (for fall- law, strategic planning, accounting, or practice management?)

See you all next week!

Is anyone already on campus? Let's meet up. We should also plan a bigger BMS event later on in the week.

Hey guys on the AMCAS, when you put down Rosalind Franklin as a school, what program did you guys put down? Graduate or Postbac undergrad?

I just put graduate and reason for no transcript is b/c currently enrolled

Hey!

I applied to RFU BMS and BU MAMS for Fall 2010. I was accepted to both but declined to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM). I took the opportunity and ran with it.

Did RFU BMS end up having 100 people?
I remember Whitney and Melissa sending me data showed the program was underfilled in the last few years.

Good luck everyone!

Dunno where you got your info from, but the past couple of years, the bms program has had 100+ students. This year, I am part of a class of 124!

Hey!

I applied to RFU BMS and BU MAMS for Fall 2010. I was accepted to both but declined to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM). I took the opportunity and ran with it.

Did RFU BMS end up having 100 people?
I remember Whitney and Melissa sending me data showed the program was underfilled in the last few years.

Good luck everyone!

Their website states they have 100 seats.

I looked again at the data I was sent. What it meant was that less than 100 people completed the program.

Hi everyone.
Any one started application for fall 2011?
Any one is attending Open house tomorrow ??

Hi everyone.
Any one started application for fall 2011?
Any one is attending Open house tomorrow ??

Hey - I was not able to attend the open house. How was it? What information did you find out?

Does anyone know the success rate of getting into a medical school upon completion of the program compared to other SMPs?

Hey - I was not able to attend the open house. How was it? What information did you find out?

@pinkya10. It was very informative. There were only two candidate for BMS...but we got chance to talk to Dr Pullen for more than 45 min. Everything posted on sdn is true....

I wanted to go to the open house also, but I couldn't make it. Want to elaborate on what exactly is true?? There seems to be a lot of info about this program on SDN and some of it is conflicting.

Thanks

I wanted to go to the open house also, but I couldn't make it. Want to elaborate on what exactly is true?? There seems to be a lot of info about this program on SDN and some of it is conflicting.

Thanks

Hi MD Please. It's about getting into CMS. Dr pullen said that if u maintain A's ,is easy to get into medical school.Erin from CMS admission confirmed same thing. But same time they told me admission is not guaranteed.I talk about my situation most of the time.let me know if u have any specific question

Hi MD Please. It's about getting into CMS. Dr pullen said that if u maintain A's ,is easy to get into medical school.Erin from CMS admission confirmed same thing. But same time they told me admission is not guaranteed.I talk about my situation most of the time.let me know if u have any specific question

Thanks for the reply. Did they give a percentage by chance??? Also, did they say if any students went to other med schools, or if they pretty much all stayed at CMS? I've heard the program only really helps with admission to CMS, not that that's a bad thing, but it would be nice to have some options.

Thanks for the reply. Did they give a percentage by chance??? Also, did they say if any students went to other med schools, or if they pretty much all stayed at CMS? I've heard the program only really helps with admission to CMS, not that that's a bad thing, but it would be nice to have some options.

Dr Pullen did say around 70% and u r pretty much stuck with CMS. Not having other choices also worries me. Dr Pullen said" it's up to CMS to grant u admission"

this question is open to everyone - What if you get all A's in the program, what kind of situations would occur that they would not accept you into CMS?

One thing I don't quite understand. Posts here keep on saying that one would not be able really improve your chances to get into any other med school other than CMS without taking a gap year. But why? Shouldn't the Fall semester classes be done by the time you interview and wouldn't grades be out for those? Or does BMS do something to prevent you to do that?

If your a jackass in the interview then maybe they won't let you in. Dr. Pullen told me a few days ago that it's pretty hard to mess up the interview.

But about classes, the program is not that hard. Yes you do have to study all the time but that's how medicine will be like. Personally, I don't understand some of my classmates that are getting low Bs. I have no clue how that happens. We have all day to study the material compared to the M1s!!! Technically, there shouldn't be any reason not to get A's in the program.

So far we basically finished up 2 classes: MCB and biochem (official end day in March).

this question is open to everyone - What if you get all A's in the program, what kind of situations would occur that they would not accept you into CMS?

How willing is Dr. Pullen in regards to talking to potentials? I have a few questions to ask him about my personal situation, should I call/email him? Will he respond quickly?

I would take what the previous poster (RIM blackberry) said with a grain of salt.

Although I currently have straight As, this program is by no means a walk in the park. The courses are still pretty tough and you pretty much have to understand everything because they can test you on anything.

Classes are taught very quickly and there are combined exams every 2 weeks so very little breathing room is available.

hey guys i was accepted recently for the entering class in the fall. Wanted to know if anyone else has heard back yet??

Last edited:
hey guys i was accepted recently for the entering class in the fall. Wanted to know if anyone else has heard back yet??

Hey, I applied to RFU BMS recently (about 2 weeks ago). I didn't hear back from them so I called and left messgaes and emailed whether they had received my application. I heard back on thursday that they have everything except one of the LORs (which was mailed on tuesday so hopefully they will get it by monday). So now its the wait game for me :)
I really hope I get accepted here since its my top choice.

Congratulations on your acceptance. May I ask when did you apply and whether you received a complete email/phone call before they accepted you. And of course, please share your stats with us (we are all stat junkies, lol).

Ya I agree with you w regards to them not letting you know whats going on. I got an email a few days before i was accepted saying my app was complete. then a few days later i think maybe that following monday i got a packet in the mail with an admissions offer!. i dont think they send out email admissions offers though. ( might have to put up w the snail mail wait ). I would just wait my friend.

I applied maybe mid feb. got accepted late feb. My app was pretty competitive because i was under review at CMS for sometime however I got rejected ultimately. (3.89 sGPA) but mcat was what did it for me. few points below nat average .

hope that helps. how about you?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the details:)
I never applied to CMS so this is my first time applying to any RFU program. My main problem was also low mcat score (<30). G.P.A is 3.94.
Hopefully I get accepted soon too :).

Ya I agree with you w regards to them not letting you know whats going on. I got an email a few days before i was accepted saying my app was complete. then a few days later i think maybe that following monday i got a packet in the mail with an admissions offer!. i dont think they send out email admissions offers though. ( might have to put up w the snail mail wait ). I would just wait my friend.

I applied maybe mid feb. got accepted late feb. My app was pretty competitive because i was under review at CMS for sometime however I got rejected ultimately. (3.89 sGPA) but mcat was what did it for me. few points below nat average .

hope that helps. how about you?

now we have something in common at least . with that gpa, you should get accepted no problem.

are u from the chicago area? i plan on coming out all the way from california . its gonna be a mission

I really hope that I get accepted soon :)
Am coming from far far away lol NJ

now we have something in common at least . with that gpa, you should get accepted no problem.

are u from the chicago area? i plan on coming out all the way from california . its gonna be a mission

My application is complete as of 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard from RFU. I am an average applicant with mcat below 25 and GPA 3.67. But have strong clinical background. What are my chances? Help me friends....

i think they'll be letting in people in march so its coming up. its a waiting game now

i think they'll be letting in people in march so its coming up. its a waiting game now

They still haven't received my third LOR :(
I hope they get it soon and accept me asap:D