Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2010/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hang in there dude. Last year people we accepted as late as July! With that said look into other programs too. Don't put all your eggs in one basket ya know?

This.

It may be very late in the med school interview season, but it's fairly early in the SMP acceptance season. If your app is in, there's nothing to do but wait for a letter from RFU and also plan a back-up option if this one doesn't happen.

Members don't see this ad.

This doesn't apply to admissions into CMS. I know of several M1a's (previous BMS students) who got straight B's and were accepted into CMS. And I spoke with Dr. Pullen, and last year that they accepted several students with one C. I think the end game comes down to having a 3.0+ GPA and a decent interview.

As for acceptance into the BMS program, there is no 24 MCAT requirement. I know some people with 22-23 that were accepted.

I would take "straight Bs" with a grain of salt. The average of CMS grades of the successful BMSers was approximately 3.6 last year.

I think getting stragiht Bs and getting accepted is going to be much more difficult this year because there are more than 100 BMSers this year and I would estimate that maybe 80 percent of us have at least straight Bs. It's hard to imagine them accepting about 70-80 BMSers because that's almost half the entire CMS class.

In terms of the MCAT don't worry about...I would say get at least 21 because that's what I applied with...I rewrote my MCATs and got 34 and resubmitted that score to RFUMS but I don't think they ever saw it because the score they admitted me into the BMS program was based on my latter MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Drake,

Do you have any suggestions or advice on where to live?

I would take "straight Bs" with a grain of salt. The average of CMS grades of the successful BMSers was approximately 3.6 last year.

I think getting stragiht Bs and getting accepted is going to be much more difficult this year because there are more than 100 BMSers this year and I would estimate that maybe 80 percent of us have at least straight Bs. It's hard to imagine them accepting about 70-80 BMSers because that's almost half the entire CMS class.

Well considering the BMS average for biochemistry is a 79% and the current BMS average for physiology is an 80% (according to Dr. Pullen), then it's highly unlikely that 80% of the BMS class have straight B's. There is a significant portion of BMSer's with at least one C in CMCB, Biochem, or Physio. These are concrete figures from the head advisor of the BMS program, not some whimsical guestimations.

Last edited:
Well considering the BMS average for biochemistry is a 79% and the current BMS average for physiology is an 80% (according to Dr. Pullen), then it's highly unlikely that 80% of the BMS class have straight B's. There is a significant portion of BMSer's with at least one C in CMCB, Biochem, or Physio. These are concrete figures from the head advisor of the BMS program, not some whimsical guestimations.

Really? I thought I numbers would be higher. I based my estimate on what we were getting in topics because tons of ppl were get 90s so I thought most of the class was getting straight Bs I guess I was wrong.

In response to the poster on about housing - I went with student housing and I love it. It is very clean and the staff is very friendly. The quality of student housing is definitely much better than Woodlands but it is pricer. They include everything except furniture and electricity.

We just finished biochem and have 2 more exams in physio. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that their criteria for first round is for those who had straight As in phsyio, MCB, and biochem. I will definitely post more info about the prgoram and my strategy to getting As after physiology - i know i had tons of questions last year.

It'll be interesting to see the grades vs acceptance comparison for this years BMSers once that starts happening. I wonder if we'll see an uphill battle for CMS spots.

To the poster that asked me privately which track courses PICK HCAM OR YOU WILL REGRET IT. I think its better served if I answered it in the forum.
The track courses in comparison to the CMS courses are not that important so pick HCAM because in my opinion it requires the least amount of work.
Most improtantly HCAM prepares you (if you take ethics and healthcare delivery in 2nd quarter) for the interview.

My lowest mark in the 3 HCAM courses so far is a 98.8. Tons of my classmates have similar marks. The HCAM course I took just required following directions/instructions and then posting answers to discussion questiosn 3 times a week. Some people do half-a@@ posts and still get the full marks. Choose HCAM or switch into it. Originally I was given the education track...I'm so thankful I switched out of that! Because from what I hear you have to design courses which is time consuming when you have CMS courses to worry about. I would also avoid nutirtion unless you really like putting in more work and doing biochem all over again.

Here are the HCAM courses I took. I highly recommend these ones.

First Quarter --> Dr. Mast (Stragetic planning and leadership)

Second Quarter --> Healthcare Delivery (Mast) / Ethics (Prof. Bridges)

Thrid Quarter --> informatics (Professor Hartman)

All 3 professors are definitely committed and very nice. If you follow
instructiosn and post your discussion in a timely fashion they will
give you full marks.

I would avoid cultural diversity (third quarter) and practice managemetn (first quarter)
as I heard those courses required much more work.

To the poster that asked me privately which track courses PICK HCAM OR YOU WILL REGRET IT. I think its better served if I answered it in the forum.
The track courses in comparison to the CMS courses are not that important so pick HCAM because in my opinion it requires the least amount of work.
Most improtantly HCAM prepares you (if you take ethics and healthcare delivery in 2nd quarter) for the interview.

My lowest mark in the 3 HCAM courses so far is a 98.8. Tons of my classmates have similar marks. The HCAM course I took just required following directions/instructions and then posting answers to discussion questiosn 3 times a week. Some people do half-a@@ posts and still get the full marks. Choose HCAM or switch into it. Originally I was given the education track...I'm so thankful I switched out of that! Because from what I hear you have to design courses which is time consuming when you have CMS courses to worry about. I would also avoid nutirtion unless you really like putting in more work and doing biochem all over again.

First Quarter --> Dr. Mast (Stragetic planning and leadership)

Second Quarter --> Healthcare Delivery (Mast) / Ethics (Prof. Bridges)

Thrid Quarter --> informatics (Professor Hartman)

All 3 professors are definitely committed and very nice. If you follow
instructiosn and post your discussion in a timely fashion they will
give you full marks.

I would avoid cultural diversity (third quarter) and practice managemetn (first quarter)
as I heard those courses required much more work.

Thanks Drake19- very helpful insight

Thanks for the info drake! I'm definitely saving this list.

Do they have caps on the number of people in each track, or hypothetically could everyone do the same one? I remember we had to rank them on the app, but I wonder how strict they are about keeping it even.

Either way, after your post I'm so glad I chose the HCAM track! :cool:

Hey Drake,

Thanks a lot of the advice dude! Much appreciated! Donnie you going to Chicago for sure?

Donnie you going to Chicago for sure?

It's not a certainty yet. I'm on the waitlist at one school that I'll attend if i get off that.

But if that doesn't happen, most likely. If i get into Cincinnati SMP as well I'll have to compare the two, but RFU has some huge advantages (namely location, since I'm in IL, and the fact that you don't retake the classes if you link back into RFU med).

You?

Yeah man. I am going for sure. So is xxducexx. I've been accepted into Cincinnati but I'm choosing RFU because they have quite an excellant match rate for their medical students into residency and strong linkage to Chicago Medical School granted that you do well in the program.

Also like you said, you don't have to retake classes M1 year that you've taken in the BMS year. I imagine that's a huge advantage because you have a lighter load to focus on classes and do extra curricular stuff to pad your resume for residency. If you do decide to go let's be in touch!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today to check the status of my application.........Melissa told me my application has been reviewed but admissions committee has not reached a decision yet. She told me to wait to receive a decision in mail in the next two weeks

Also like you said, you don't have to retake classes M1 year that you've taken in the BMS year. I imagine that's a huge advantage because you have a lighter load to focus on classes and do extra curricular stuff to pad your resume for residency. If you do decide to go let's be in touch!

Yeah for sure.

I think I'm gonna take a trip in May and visit all the schools if I happen to get into more than one SMP (applied to three). My opinions of med schools changed drastically at two of the schools on interview day, just by going there and seeing it. Maybe this could help make decisions easier.

I'm kind of concerned with housing at RFU though. I hesitate to sign a lease early and get shafted on the deposit if I happen to get into med school this year. I'm thinking about the RFU apartments though, I've heard they are big and really nice. The only negative I've heard so far is that they are a bit pricey, but I can deal with that.

You guys think about housing yet?

I called today to check the status of my application.........Melissa told me my application has been reviewed but admissions committee has not reached a decision yet. She told me to wait to receive a decision in mail in the next two weeks

Hang in there bud. We're pulling for ya!

Question for Drake:

You said, "The quality of student housing is definitely much better than Woodlands but it is pricer. They include everything except furniture and electricity."

How much more expensive is student housing than Woodlands? Location wise which is more convenient and closer to campus?

Donnie: I'm going to do more research into living situations before making a final decisions. I'll let you know what I find out

Hang in there bud. We're pulling for ya!

Question for Drake:

You said, "The quality of student housing is definitely much better than Woodlands but it is pricer. They include everything except furniture and electricity."

How much more expensive is student housing than Woodlands? Location wise which is more convenient and closer to campus?

Donnie: I'm going to do more research into living situations before making a final decisions. I'll let you know what I find out

I'm not sure how much more expensive, student housing is about 9-10 grand a year. In terms of location, I think Woodlands might be closer by like a couple seconds. They are both the same distance from campus essentially.

I'm not sure how much more expensive, student housing is about 9-10 grand a year. In terms of location, I think Woodlands might be closer by like a couple seconds. They are both the same distance from campus essentially.

re the housing. id rather pay that little difference for on campus housing than have to sign a 12 month lease and get stuck with it after the semesters over....just my thoughts

heres a question....how in the world are u going to get furniture set up in any apt?? any suggestions drake19?

I received same e mail, wait till end of month,....:xf:

re the housing. id rather pay that little difference for on campus housing than have to sign a 12 month lease and get stuck with it after the semesters over....just my thoughts

heres a question....how in the world are u going to get furniture set up in any apt?? any suggestions drake19?

Good question. North Chicago is in the middle of nowhere. You pretty much need a car or have to know someone with a car. No essential stores (furniture, food, groceries) is within walking distance.

I bought foldable tables (those picnic tables) from an office supplies store which was pretty good, like 7 feet long and very sturdy. I also brought the bare minimum I needed to survive (chairs, laser printer, clothes, etc.)

In the summer i'm going to store it in someone's apartment (someone who has a 12 month lease)

Hey guys, I might be a part of the incoming BMS class this fall if I eventually get off this shiz waitlist they put me on!

Hey guys, I might be a part of the incoming BMS class this fall if I eventually get off this shiz waitlist they put me on!

hey were u referring to the BMS waitlist? i didnt know that this program wait listed students?

Yes, I received an email from RFU BMS admissions saying that I was placed on the waitlist and to wait for any seats that may be available before the first day of class, Aug 15.

I think that most SMP's have waitlists just to make up for people who decline their admission last minute.

I think that most SMP's have waitlists just to make up for people who decline their admission last minute.

Makes sense. I'm sure they have a ton of turnover with SMPs as many people admitted are probably holding waitlist spots at med schools, which turn into acceptances all summer long.

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received the call today from melissa knox (i had left her a v.m on friday inquiring about the status of my application)
she told me they mailed my acceptance package on friday and i should be getting it soon. Sooooooo happy :)

good luck to all still in the waiting game

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received the call today from melissa knox (i had left her a v.m on friday inquiring about the status of my application)
she told me they mailed my acceptance package on friday and i should be getting it soon. Sooooooo happy :)

good luck to all still in the waiting game

Congratulations...I am still waiting:xf:. Can u please post yr stats??? thank you in advance....

Congratulations...I am still waiting:xf:. Can u please post yr stats??? thank you in advance....

26 mcat, 3.94 gpa
and the usual pre-med extracurriculars
some research (no publications)

Congrats to everyone who was already accepted into RFU! Good luck to the people who are still waiting. :xf:

I was accepted into the BU MAMS and they only give 2 weeks for students to submit their deposit. I now have to make a decision whether I will give up my name on the waitlist at RFU to attend BU.

This decision is going to make my head hurt.

Congrats to everyone who was already accepted into RFU! Good luck to the people who are still waiting. :xf:

I was accepted into the BU MAMS and they only give 2 weeks for students to submit their deposit. I now have to make a decision whether I will give up my name on the waitlist at RFU to attend BU.

This decision is going to make my head hurt.

Hey RokkidA .........why dont you send ur deposit to BU, accept their offer and wait for RFU. Once RFU give u the green light, withdraw your acceptance from BU - just my two cents

Thanks for the advice. Your right, I should just secure a seat at BU, while I wait to get off the waiting list at RFU.

I should have been more clear though, since I am torn as to which school I should go to. I have read many threads on BU vs RFU and realize that there are both large pros and cons to both schools. I just need to research more about the program in the next few days.

Thanks for the advice. Your right, I should just secure a seat at BU, while I wait to get off the waiting list at RFU.

I should have been more clear though, since I am torn as to which school I should go to. I have read many threads on BU vs RFU and realize that there are both large pros and cons to both schools. I just need to research more about the program in the next few days.

you're welcome - btw I am in the same boat as you (RFU vs. University of Toledo) - I made a thread asking smpers about their opinions in terms of whr would they go and why.
I like both schools a lot (still waiting decision from UT though) but really can't make up my mind
:bang:

Received my acceptance package in mail today 

Accepted! Big Envelope came today! WOOHOO! Anyone here applied for the scholarship?

Accepted! Big Envelope came today! WOOHOO! Anyone here applied for the scholarship?

Congratulations!!!!!
I wanted to apply for the scholarship but didnt think I qualify :(

Hey everyone,

I've applied and am still waiting. My stats are 3.3 gpa from the University of WI-Madison and 29O mcat, plus tons of volunteer work, hospital work, extra curriculars. Any opinions? Melissa told me it'd still be probably another week or two before I heard.

I've seen in this post "SMP." What does that mean?

Also-anyone who has been accepted (or just knows this)-What is the class schedule like? I've seen the actual classes you have to take online but I mean like days/times? Any ideas?

Thanks!!

I was accepted a couple days ago!!

I will definitely be attending unless I get a miraculous acceptance from GW. :xf::xf::xf:

BTW for those interested, RFU gives you two weeks to submit a $100 deposit.

Now onto the fun stuff. Is it too early to start a facebook group? :rolleyes: I think it would be nice especially since we could start a discussion page to match people up with roomates at the campus or woodlands housing.

I visited the campus yesterday and had a friend show me around. I also checked out the woodlands housing. For those of you that were worried about the location, woodlands is essentially ON CAMPUS. The housing is private but it is so close that at any other school it would be considered on campus. It was a 5 minute walk from door to door. The woodland apartments look pretty nice too. From what I was shown, the average rent for a two bedroom apartment was $600 per person when split 50/50. There are different options for floor plans so the price varies. The only downside that I found was that the apartments are not furnished (except for dishwasher, oven, microwave, stove).

So, is anyone else set on RFU BMS?? My friend (M2) told me that some of the most ardent students in his class were the BMSers (since they have something to prove) and that most of the TAs were former BMSers too. Needless to say, the BMS students are well respected at RFU.

OK I'll stop talking now..:laugh:

Go badgers!!! (I graduated last year)

SMP stands for Special Masters Program and is usually a one year masters program intended for low-GPA pre-med students who have graduated undergrad and want to prove to the adcoms that they can do well in medical school coursework. Some SMP programs offer linkage to their medical school. RFU BMS is an SMP program.

As far as class schedule goes (I think everyone on this thread will find this interesting), attached below is the BMS class schedule from 2010-2011. Enjoy.

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=643918

..sorry I linked it instead because the file attachment option wasn't working..

Hey everyone,

I've applied and am still waiting. My stats are 3.3 gpa from the University of WI-Madison and 29O mcat, plus tons of volunteer work, hospital work, extra curriculars. Any opinions? Melissa told me it'd still be probably another week or two before I heard.

I've seen in this post "SMP." What does that mean?

Also-anyone who has been accepted (or just knows this)-What is the class schedule like? I've seen the actual classes you have to take online but I mean like days/times? Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Any more details on the campus? People keep saying its in the middle of nowhere. How do you get to a grocery store if you dont have a car? Thanks ahead xgalaxy00!

SMP--gotcha, thanks!

I saw that schedule online. It doesn't look too bad. And the class topics don't look hard, I learned about a lot of them in undergrad classes @ Madison so hopefully that's a good base.

I have no idea about transportation. I planned living at home since I live in Wisconsin (only like 20 miles from the campus) so commuting would be way easier for me. Maybe they have busses? Definitely something to look into though.

The campus is small and located in a northern suburb of chicago. It is in the middle of nowhere in the sense that if you don't have a car, then there are not many places you can get to. If you have a car, it is not in the middle of nowhere. There is a grocery store 5 minutes drive from campus. Chicago and Milwaukee are about an hour away each. The train station is 5 minutes drive from campus and can also take you to chitown. And you have a lot of suburbs surrounding the area. If you needed to get to any given store (lets say, a sporting goods store for example) then it would most likely be within reasonable driving distance (under 15 minutes). Gurnee Mills (which is one of the biggest malls in IL) is a 15 minute drive.

If you don't have a car, it would be more difficult living on campus. I would make friends with someone that has a car. Also, I'm pretty sure parking is free on campus.

Any more details on the campus? People keep saying its in the middle of nowhere. How do you get to a grocery store if you dont have a car? Thanks ahead xgalaxy00!

Accepted also.

Leaning towards attending for now.

Share your stats? I'm still waiting.

Share your stats? I'm still waiting.

My stat sucks. I think it's the trend that got me in as well as other factors.

cgpa-3.0
sgpa-3.02
Post-bac (55 credits of hardcore science)- 4.0
Mcat-30S with retake coming soon
3 years of pre-clinical swine surgery
3 page worth publications
TA, volunteer, shadow etc