Residency Interview Invites 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it varies a lot. I'm going to 8. I have friends going to 9, 7, 2, 1 etc.

I'd love to hear statistics from everyone else as well!

I'm going to 6, got 8 offers, applied to 14 (still have 1 to hear from but assuming a no at this point / would have to turn down anyway). Most programs I'm looking at are only 1-3 spots, hence applying to sooooo many.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Kaiser Oregon or VA Portland yet?

This may be a very dumb question, and I apologize in advance... but does the federal hiring freeze affect residency positions at the VA?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a very dumb question, and I apologize in advance... but does the federal hiring freeze affect residency positions at the VA?
I'm on rotation at a VA right now and they are actively interviewing residents. So as far as I know, it does not.

I think it varies a lot. I'm going to 8. I have friends going to 9, 7, 2, 1 etc.

I'd love to hear statistics from everyone else as well!

Applied to 13, got 10 interview offers, going to 8. Similar to pharmnerd13, I applied broadly and got a good mix of both large academic medical centers and smaller programs.

Has anyone heard from the following PGY1 programs?
Memphis VA
North TX VA
Kaiser Permanente Mid Atlantic (I've seen multiple people mention they have received an interview from this place so I'm assuming a rejection from them)

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Has anyone heard from Kaiser Oregon or VA Portland yet?

Received a Kaiser NW phone interview invite (1/17), and VA Portland emailed saying they would email by Friday (1/27) if invited for a phone interview but haven't heard anything so far...

Has anybody heard back from Valley Health- Viriginia after a phone interview ?

Grady sent out invites last night

Reactions: 1 user

It does not, however it will affect getting a VA job down the road, if the hiring freeze is still in effect. The way our chief of pharmacy explained it to me, we can still hire, but we must submit additional paperwork stating that there is a "critical need" for the filling of an existing vacancy, so the hiring process will take even longer than it normally does, which is super long already.

It does not, however it will affect getting a VA job down the road, if the hiring freeze is still in effect. The way our chief of pharmacy explained it to me, we can still hire, but we must submit additional paperwork stating that there is a "critical need" for the filling of an existing vacancy, so the hiring process will take even longer than it normally does, which is super long already.

From what I have gathered, the Federal government is coming up with a plan to decrease the size of the Federal workforce by spring, and the hiring freeze is supposed to be lifted then.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from the following PGY1 programs?
Memphis VA
North TX VA
Kaiser Permanente Mid Atlantic (I've seen multiple people mention they have received an interview from this place so I'm assuming a rejection from them)

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

For Kaiser Permanente Mid-Atlantic, their interview dates are 1/24 and 1/31. I believe she called candidates 1/12.

Sorry :(

Applied to 12 programs. invited to 10 on-site interviews, 1 phone interview, and was rejected by 1 program.

Interviewing at 9 institutions and maybe 10 if phone interview turns into full-fledged interview.

Has anyone heard from: Dekalb Medical (Atlanta, GA), Emory St Joseph, Northside Hospital (Atlanta, GA) and Baptist Medical Center south (Alabama)?

I am also waiting to hear back from ESJH and Northside although someone posted a few pages back that they had already received an invite from Northside on 1/16. When did you submit your applications?

Would it be inappropriate to contact programs to verify a rejection if we have not received any communication at this point and others have already been invited to interview? I'm assuming the lack of notification indicates a rejection but would rather know for sure.

Can anyone advise on my upcoming Loma Linda interview at the end of this month? The interview itinerary says there is an "oral clinical evaluation." I'm freaking out about that a little.

Has anyone received an interview invitation from Memorial Hermann SW, UTMB or Harris Health?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from pgy1 VA Maryland or U of Maryland?

Would it be inappropriate to contact programs to verify a rejection if we have not received any communication at this point and others have already been invited to interview? I'm assuming the lack of notification indicates a rejection but would rather know for sure.
Try emailing the residents first asking for a time frame tonwhen you will hear back.

Try emailing the residents first asking for a time frame tonwhen you will hear back.

Done! Thanks for the advice. Luckily I had actually met/toured with a resident from the program so hopefully my email won't come off impersonal/pushy.

anyone heard back from pittsburgh VA yet, whether it be an offer or a rejection?? it's all silence on my end.

Does anyone know anything about Jackson Hospital and clinic residency in Alabama?

Has anyone heard from IU for an onsite that got a phone interview? I'm not sure what date they said we would hear by...
I have the same question. I had a phone interview, but have not heard back. What information has anyone received from them if they applied there?

I am also waiting to hear back from ESJH and Northside although someone posted a few pages back that they had already received an invite from Northside on 1/16. When did you submit your applications?
I submitted all of my applications on 12/29/16. I have not heard from any of those 3 :(

Last edited:
For those that have interviews at UF Shands Gainsville and UF Jacksonville, when do you have your interviews scheduled?

I have the same question. I had a phone interview, but have not heard back. What information has anyone received from them if they applied there?

I also had phone interview with IUH and never heard back afterwards. But when I asked at the end of the Skype call when they were gonna notify us for onsite interviews, they said by the end of the following week. Which has passed... I just wish they would let me know whatever the status of my application is.

So I've been following this thread for awhile and the more I read everyone's post, the more nervous/doubtful I become.
I've applied to 12 programs, 2 interviews, and 3 rejections. That leaves me with 7 programs that I'm still waiting on. Should I just give up?
Here are the places I'm waiting on:
1. Portland VA
2. Phoenix VA-Ambulatory
3. Banner Health-Baywood
4. Multicare Health
5. Kaiser Fontana
6. Kaiser Santa Clara
7. Kaiser NW (which seems like it's a rejection since I heard they already sent out invitations)

So I've been following this thread for awhile and the more I read everyone's post, the more nervous/doubtful I become.
I've applied to 12 programs, 2 interviews, and 3 rejections. That leaves me with 7 programs that I'm still waiting on. Should I just give up?
Here are the places I'm waiting on:
1. Portland VA
2. Phoenix VA-Ambulatory
3. Banner Health-Baywood
4. Multicare Health
5. Kaiser Fontana
6. Kaiser Santa Clara
7. Kaiser NW (which seems like it's a rejection since I heard they already sent out invitations)

I haven't heard from VA Portland and VA Phoenix still and I had a phone interview with Kaiser NW but I haven't heard back about an onsite. Don't lose hope, the fact that you haven't heard back is better than a rejection! I guess we just have to be patient ..

I applied to 10 programs, 6 interviews, 2 rejections, and 2 I haven't heard from. Has anyone heard from Yuma Regional Medical Center or Mayo Clinic Scottsdale?

I've heard from Henry Ford Detroit, Beaumont Royal Oak and am still waiting to hear on VA AA and UofM. I've heard a few people who got interviews at UofM otherwise crickets....
PGY-1 or 2? And were they invites or rejections if you don't mind me asking?