Residency interview invites 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do programs usually send a rejection or do you just not hear anything if you don't get offered an interview? Still waiting to hear back from lots of programs

Members don't see this ad.

How many did everyone apply to and how many interviews have you gotten so far? I applied to 12 and got 2 interviews. Starting to get anxious!!!
I applied to 12 programs. So far 3 interviews, 3 rejections, and still waiting to hear from 6. Of the 6 I'm waiting on, I got emails from 2 saying they were reviewing my application (but no timeline on when they would get back to me) and haven't heard anything from the other 4 at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody applied to Methodist Dallas Medical Center? Their deadline was a while ago and still haven't heard anything

I applied to 12 programs. So far 3 interviews, 3 rejections, and still waiting to hear from 6. Of the 6 I'm waiting on, I got emails from 2 saying they were reviewing my application (but no timeline on when they would get back to me) and haven't heard anything from the other 4 at all..

Yeah I now have 3 invites, but from the looks of the google doc, I cant say that I expect many more :( Did not expect it to go this badly, but hopefully I kill it at the 3 interviews I do have...Good luck!

Applied to 10. 1 interview, 3 rejections, and 6 nothings. I'll give it my all at my interview but let's be honest the odds are kind of low. For others with low odds like me when are you going to apply for jobs? Should I be applying now or wait until post scramble?

Applied to 10. 1 interview, 3 rejections, and 6 nothings. I'll give it my all at my interview but let's be honest the odds are kind of low. For others with low odds like me when are you going to apply for jobs? Should I be applying now or wait until post scramble?
I have started today :/

Has anyone heard from Thomas Jefferson? Per google doc it doesn't look like it but didn't know if anyone was sitting around anxiously wait like I am! Also waiting for University of Rochester!

I have started today :/
Stay positive! The 2nd match shouldn't be looked as a bad thing; I imagine there are many great programs that have gotten overlooked and will have spots available!

Stay positive! The 2nd match shouldn't be looked as a bad thing; I imagine there are many great programs that have gotten overlooked and will have spots available!
Do you know how the 2nd round is going to work? Do we have to pay again for each application?

Do you know how the 2nd round is going to work? Do we have to pay again for each application?.
I unfortunately don't know the details about cost, but my understanding is that the process is set up like this one. I've also heard that instead of traveling to sites there is likely more telephone/video interviews due to a time crunch. This will be the first year they are implementing the 2nd match, but from my understanding it should be a lot better than have to do the "scramble".

Also i imagine that there will be a list of places that are unmatched? I think for the scramble people had to search and figure out who had spots available which made it a very chaotic process.

This is all coming from a lecture a while back so I could be completely wrong, but if I hear any other details I'll be sure to message you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 14, mix of competitive academic medical centers and smaller community hospitals.
Funny that I've gotten interviews to 4 top competitive academic medical centers, but nothing from the smaller sites. The interview selection process is so confusing!

Anyone know when is last day of interview invites? End of jan, beginning of march? sigh

Start now. It doesn't hurt to have a plan B. If you end up matching, just be professional and give whatever chain hired you a heads up and an apology. By heads up, give at least a 2 week notice.

I would recommend that for anyone regardless of what he/she thinks the odds are. I know someone from last year who applied to 10, interviewed at all 10 sites, and didn't match with any site until scramble. I also know someone who had 1 invite, nailed it, and got the position. He didn't have stellar grades but his personality matched what his residency was looking for.

Do you know how the 2nd round is going to work? Do we have to pay again for each application?.

From my understanding, you will still have to pay the $40 fee to each new program you apply to. If you decide to reapply to a program that you originally applied to and didn't get an invite during the first round, you will not have to pay for that specific program again. People that are applying to residencies for the first time during phase II will have to pay the $150 match fee in addition.

I applied to 14, mix of competitive academic medical centers and smaller community hospitals.
Funny that I've gotten interviews to 4 top competitive academic medical centers, but nothing from the smaller sites. The interview selection process is so confusing!

Anyone know when is last day of interview invites? End of jan, beginning of march? sigh
One of my roommates was told by a program that the last possible day they would notify her would be February 20. For interview dates, the latest I've been given an option for is February 29.

Has anyone heard from Thomas Jefferson? Per google doc it doesn't look like it but didn't know if anyone was sitting around anxiously wait like I am! Also waiting for University of Rochester!

I have not heard back yet from Thomas Jefferson.

Rejection email from Baptist in San Antonio this morning. They only interviewed 4 applicants for their 1 position, all of whom already had ties to the San Antonio area.

Rejection email from Baptist in San Antonio this morning. They only interviewed 4 applicants for their 1 position, all of whom already had ties to the San Antonio area.

Wow thats the best ratio I've seen for interviewees to spots available.

For PGY2 Ambulatory care, has anyone heard from VA San Diego, Kaiser Colorado, or University of Texas - Austin?

Has anyone heard back from UCLA, uci, or usc?

Thanks guys

Has anyone heard back from UCLA, uci, or usc?

Thanks guys

I'm still waiting on UCI. Didn't apply to the other two.

You were the one that asked about the LA/OC area correct? What places have you heard from already?

I'm still waiting on UCI. Didn't apply to the other two.

You were the one that asked about the LA/OC area correct? What places have you heard from already?

Haha yes, that was me :)
Thanks for the info about UCI!

I received invites from Cedars, Western, CHOC, and Providence. Just got rejection from Hoag lol, did not expect that.
What about you? Did u apply to any other LA/OC sites?

Haha yes, that was me :)
Thanks for the info about UCI!

I received invites from Cedars, Western, CHOC, and Providence. Just got rejection from Hoag lol, did not expect that.
What about you? Did u apply to any other LA/OC sites?

I've received interviews from City of Hope and VA Greater LA so far. Havent heard from UCI or Glendale Adventist yet.

I've received interviews from City of Hope and VA Greater LA so far. Havent heard from UCI or Glendale Adventist yet.

Thanks! I also have not heard back from Glendale.

Has anyone heard from Mission/MAHEC or the Asheville VA?

VA San Diego PGY1 Ambulatory Care Track sent out invites

From my understanding, you will still have to pay the $40 fee to each new program you apply to. If you decide to reapply to a program that you originally applied to and didn't get an invite during the first round, you will not have to pay for that specific program again. People that are applying to residencies for the first time during phase II will have to pay the $150 match fee in addition..
I called PhORCAS yesterday, and this is what they told me*
  • Round 2 is the same as round 1: $100 for the first 4 programs and $35 for each additional program you apply to**
  • You have to pay for each program you apply to, even if you applied to them during round 1
*All that being said, when I first got on the phone with a person and asked about round 2, the lady told me there was only round 1 and the scramble... then she remembered there was a round 2.
**The person I spoke to said additional programs in round 2 were $35 each, but I think it's probably $40 each, because that's what it was during round 1. I believe it was $35 in the past, and even when I attended the session on PhORCAS at MidYear, some of their power points still said $35, even through it is $40.

What was the point of having two matches and then the scramble? It just looks like another way to get more money from the people who are least able to afford it

Reactions: 1 users
Wait, it's a 2 part match now? That's ridiculous.

What was the point of having two matches and then the scramble? It just looks like another way to get more money from the people who are least able to afford it
If I remember correctly, their reasoning was that some crazy number of people didn't match last year (like 60%?).

If I remember correctly, their reasoning was that some crazy number of people didn't match last year (like 60%?)..

The bigger issue was the large number of unfilled residency positions, from my understanding. I think the point was to standardize the process of filling the unfilled spots from the first round of matching.

Anyone hear from Houston Methodist after the phone interviews?

Also waiting to hear from Dartmouth-hitchcock in NH. They said they would be reviewing apps 11-15 and would let us know no later than the 15tg. Anyone hear from them?

Heard back last week for an interview. They offered four days, which makes me think three interviews per day if they are interviewing 11-15 people?

I am waiting for U of R too!

Applied to 8, got 5 interviews, haven't heard any from the other 3

I didn't create this but it may be a helpful way of putting this information together.

I just wanted to say thank you to HelloPanda for posting and updating this sheet for us. This is very helpful.

Reactions: 3 users
I just wanted to say thank you to HelloPanda for posting and updating this sheet for us. This is very helpful.

Thank you for the credit but all I did was post it on here. I believe user k41y17 was the original creator and also the individual keeping the sheet updated. :) Thank you k41y17!

I applied to Lenox Hill, NY Harbor VA and Bronx VA. Got interviews @ Lenox Hill and NY Harbor. Haven't heard from Bronx.
when did you receive invitation for NY Harbor VA?

Received invite for USC's ambulatory care residency today. Anyone hear back from UCSD's ambulatory care program?

Last edited:
Received invite for USC's ambulatory care residency today. Anyone hear back from UCSD's ambulatory care program?

Was it by email or phone?
I'm still waiting for USC's acute care .
Thanks!

Hey has anyone received an onsite interview from VA southern nevada after the phone interview?
Anyone receive interview from Phoenix VA - ambulatory care focus?

Last edited:
Anyone receive invitation/rejection from Atlanta VA or VA North Texas??