PGY-1 interview invites (2019-2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YTAZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

My PhORCAS application is complete. So, I was wondering when will the residency programs start sending their interview invites.

Members don't see this ad.

After the deadline they start processing the applications, and after that, you'll get an invite.

You won't start getting invites until January, when the programs have their deadlines. Midyear hasn't even happened yet, so most programs still want to talk to the potential applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping so this doesn't get lost and someone creates a new one. Best of luck to every residency hopeful out there!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so excited and nervous to find out what the next year has in store for us! Definitely going to be checking this thread for the next few weeks. I finished my applications as well (I can't believe you finished yours in November, kudos lol). In total it took me 3 weeks to complete Phorcas. My first submissions were December 19th and my last submission was yesterday.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm so excited and nervous to find out what the next year has in store for us! Definitely going to be checking this thread for the next few weeks. I finished my applications as well (I can't believe you finished yours in November, kudos lol). In total it took me 3 weeks to complete Phorcas. My first submissions were December 19th and my last submission was yesterday.

Best of luck!! :)

I just got a phone interview invite from Houston Methodist. Is this something they do with all applicants, or have other people received on-site interview invites from them?

I just got a phone interview invite from Houston Methodist. Is this something they do with all applicants, or have other people received on-site interview invites from them?

I just did too! I think it’s easier for them to choose between applicants that are at the same level, since they can’t interview all potential applicants. I take it as a perfect opportunity for us to get an onsite interview. I’m not sure if everyone goes through this or if it it’s only for equally competitive applicants. Congrats :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats! When was the deadline for the program? Just wondering to gage if I will hear soon from mine

Last edited:
Wow that's early, congrats! How far out is your interview scheduled for?

I just did too! I think it’s easier for them to choose between applicants that are at the same level, since they can’t interview all potential applicants. I take it as a perfect opportunity for us to get an onsite interview. I’m not sure if everyone goes through this or if it it’s only for equally competitive applicants. Congrats :)

Congratulations guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my program deadlines isn't until the 4th but the RPD emailed me today to ask me a question about something on my application. So if anyone was wondering, they do (at least some programs) look at applications on a rolling basis before the deadline.

One of my program deadlines isn't until the 4th but the RPD emailed me today to ask me a question about something on my application. So if anyone was wondering, they do (at least some programs) look at applications on a rolling basis before the deadline.

I agree. Multiple RPDs recognized my name after I introduced myself during the Midyear residency showcase.

I agree. Multiple RPDs recognized my name after I introduced myself during the Midyear residency showcase.
Same here! I even had RPDs recognize me by name during midyear after remembering an email I sent them months prior. They do pay attention to names lol

We've been evaluating applications as they come in. We have a later deadline than most so have a fair number to go through before we actually close it up. We'll send out invites ~3 days after our deadline. For all those applicants who want a change of scenery you've still got time to apply and come visit us :D

Invitation from Meritus Medical Center (1/6)

Good luck everyone!

I have only heard back from one program and it was just to say they have received my application.

I was seriously contemplating emailing some of the programs that I applied to in early December, asking about the status of my application, but I did not want to seem too desperate.

RPDs, what are your thoughts on this?

It’s still really early, I would be patient. I know it sucks but try and take it easy for another week or two. From reading postings last year and the year prior most people begin to receive interview invites around mid January...about a week or two from now. There is a fine line between being a go getter and being overbearing. They are just as overwhelmed as we feel. I get it lol I feel the way that you do too but relax. We've made it this far. :)

Last edited:
I have only heard back from one program and it was just to say they have received my application.

I was seriously contemplating emailing some of the programs that I applied to in early December, asking about the status of my application, but I did not want to seem too desperate.

I'm not an RPD - just a P4 waiting on responses from PGY-1 programs.

But if you take a look at the dates from last year, you'll see its still pretty early in the cycle to be receiving interviews.
I wouldn't sweat it yet.

Phone Interview Invite - Harris Health System 1/7/19

Yeah, thats true. Just nerve wracking, I've had friends who have already heard from 2-3. I also got most of my applications in mid-late Dec and even a few this week so I guess I can wait. I need some SUP while I'm waiting though

It is still so early, many programs do not necessarily review on a rolling basis, and we have tons of applications to review. Just be patient, you should hear from most places by the end of January.

Don't. Our primary responsibilities don't go on hold while we review applicants. I would give programs until early Feb to alert you of your status.

1/7 - Michigan Medicine HSPA On-site interview offer

1/5 - Hopkins HSPA rejection

1/7 - Michigan Medicine HSPA On-site interview offer

1/5 - Hopkins HSPA rejection

Congratulations on the invite!

A friend heard back from MedStar Washington for Interview Invite 1/8/19

Friend just got an invite from VCU Community (1/9). Another friend got an invite from the Salisbury VA yesterday (1/8)

Interview offer from University of Rochester today. :soexcited: Probably one of my top choices.

Brief feeling of relief for about 30 minutes, and then I realized preparation begins now! :hilarious:

Interview offer from University of Rochester today. :soexcited: Probably one of my top choices.

Brief feeling of relief for about 30 minutes, and then I realized preparation begins now! :hilarious:

See, you got one! And you were stressing out lol :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Another rejection 1/10 Florida hospital east Orlando ☹️

Interviews recieved so far:
Hopkins HSPA
HUP HSPA
NYP HSPA

Has anyone heard back from University of Illinois Chicago or University of Chicago? And was the invite by email or by phone?

Has anyone heard back from University of Illinois Chicago or University of Chicago? And was the invite by email or by phone?

Not yet from UIC, I'm waiting on them too :)

Interview offer from Eastern Maine Medical Center !!!