Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My middle school brother got a cell phone today and now he's texting me and it feels so weird!
I feel for you. My two younger sisters are around that age too. One of them sends me those texts that say "text this to 6 people or something bad will happen" haha

Members don't see this ad.

Holy cow, email chains as text messages now, I am SO damn old!
I felt the same way. She's 17 years younger than me so she makes me feel old all the time

Members don't see this ad :)
A ball python - aka the dumb gentle lab of the snake world hah. I call him my big dumb noodle.
@WhtsThFrequency thanks for this information.

I looked up "ball python" because I think your snake has beautiful markings! Fascinating!

"Ball pythons are generally a bit shy, but they make for ideal captives, because they are of a small size, are generally friendly, are easy to care for, and come in a remarkable array of colors and patterns. Ball pythons are native to central and western Africa and thrive in these warm, tropical areas. They are known as the royal python in many parts of the world and are revered in some areas of Africa."

Reactions: 1 users
Obligatory baby Snakerton pic circa 2012/2013

320431_10101091204549193_1420884341_n.jpg

396896_10101091203770753_567342698_n.jpg

He is over 4 feet now.

13320938_10104370400339543_8017204854821812336_o.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about snakes at all although I've seen a few black mambas and a yellow-bellied pelagic sea snake in the wild ... in real-time ... just because.

It's encouraging to learn that some non-venomous and gentle snakes have been successfully used as "therapy snakes." It's always good to educate people about snakes because others (including me) do not know very much about snakes anyway.

These pictures make me want a pet snake (don't read anything dirty into that, you guys), but I'm not 100% sure I wouldn't be scared of them in real life.

Reactions: 7 users
These pictures make me want a pet snake (don't read anything dirty into that, you guys), but I'm not 100% sure I wouldn't be scared of them in real life.
I didn't think of anything dirty until you mentioned it to be honest

This is possible for both interpretations of "pet snake" :thinking:

So the hospital I went to puts their charts on the portal, and I never realized how weird it is to read about yourself in 3rd person!

My favorite quote, by far, from my 3:30am emergency room visit because I couldn't breathe: "also suspect that she may have some component of anxiety". :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
Add multiple broken skulls, another full skeleton, and 4 more skulls +/- an entire skeleton I need to put down in the beetles :whoa:If interesting species would stop dying in the wildlife clinic...

@Devastating, do you happen to mount your skeletons or put your skulls in display cases? I'm looking for a good source of cases

Since is my "collection" is so small at the moment, I don't have any special displays yet! Guinea fowl's skull is currently just sitting, but I do plan on putting it into a nice small display case of some sort. Haven't mounted any full skeletons either, only the few skulls/bones I have--would love to somehow put together a full mounted chicken skeleton eventually, afaik preassembled ones are pretty pricey from scientific suppliers.

At hobby lobby, I've seen the old-fashioned "dome"/cylindrical type glass display cases with wooden bottom. With some mounting and added decor inside, I've thought those may look nice as a display for a small skull like mine (or a very very small skeleton, like a rodent or chick). SkullsUnlimited website may sell cases? I haven't checked their selection.

Since is my "collection" is so small at the moment, I don't have any special displays yet! Guinea fowl's skull is currently just sitting, but I do plan on putting it into a nice small display case of some sort. Haven't mounted any full skeletons either, only the few skulls/bones I have--would love to somehow put together a full mounted chicken skeleton eventually, afaik preassembled ones are pretty pricey from scientific suppliers.

At hobby lobby, I've seen the old-fashioned "dome"/cylindrical type glass display cases with wooden bottom. With some mounting and added decor inside, I've thought those may look nice as a display for a small skull like mine (or a very very small skeleton, like a rodent or chick). SkullsUnlimited website may sell cases? I haven't checked their selection.
I haven't found empty cases on SkullsUnlimited...but I've found the very small plastic displays at Hobby Lobby. Looks like I may have to build my own for the full skeletons/larger skulls.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't found empty cases on SkullsUnlimited...but I've found the very small plastic displays at Hobby Lobby. Looks like I may have to build my own for the full skeletons/larger skulls.

I wonder if you could find a cheaper china cabinet type thing and modify it...?

If you're near to one, check out Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics for glass cloches/bell jars. I currently have five of different sizes/styles for my insects and taxidermy pieces, most I've gotten at Michael's over the last few years during sales.

I wonder if you could find a cheaper china cabinet type thing and modify it...?
That's an idea, too. The other obstacle is that everything has to be portable and sturdy-we bring these pieces to PR events all over town. Some of the custom full skeleton cases hit several hundred dollars....not so budget friendly for the clinic (I get reimbursed).

That's an idea, too. The other obstacle is that everything has to be portable and sturdy-we bring these pieces to PR events all over town. Some of the custom full skeleton cases hit several hundred dollars....not so budget friendly for the clinic (I get reimbursed).

What size cases are you looking for?

If you want a translucent acrylic top to put on a base, you might have to find someone who can fabricate that - online or maybe at a local plastics store - or find something that approximates an acrylic case like a fish tank or a storage bin. If you don't need a translucent cover but are looking more for a case to safely transport specimens of a certain size, a hard sewing machine case might work.

What size cases are you looking for?

If you want a translucent acrylic top to put on a base, you might have to find someone who can fabricate that - online or maybe at a local plastics store - or find something that approximates an acrylic case like a fish tank or a storage bin. If you don't need a translucent cover but are looking more for a case to safely transport specimens of a certain size, a hard sewing machine case might work.
I've got a lot of odd shaped/size skulls, as well as a turkey vulture, red tailed hawk, and eventually maybe a loon skeleton to encase. I may have to look at something just to protect it during transport like you suggested. It's going to take more time than I thought just to find cases

If you're near to one, check out Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics for glass cloches/bell jars. I currently have five of different sizes/styles for my insects and taxidermy pieces, most I've gotten at Michael's over the last few years during sales.
Bell jar! How did I not know that was the name for it...

and huh, I thought SkullsUnlimited of all places would carry display cases (I do remember reading their disclaimers that the basic acrylic cases that come with the teaching skeletons are for "shipping" only and not meant for display so they aren't responsible for any cracks, blah blah blah). Odd.

Thought a few of you on here might appreciate this quote, particularly with all the equine conversations lately.

Quote from the SA doctor I work with today:

Me (to Dr): "blah blah blah....because you hate horses."
Dr: "I don't hate horses, I just don't respect them as a species."

Reactions: 9 users
Thought a few of you on here might appreciate this quote, particularly with all the equine conversations lately.

Quote from the SA doctor I work with today:

Me (to Dr): "blah blah blah....because you hate horses."
Dr: "I don't hate horses, I just don't respect them as a species."
They're just fragile creatures...they need help to be that awesome :p

Bell jar! How did I not know that was the name for it...

and huh, I thought SkullsUnlimited of all places would carry display cases (I do remember reading their disclaimers that the basic acrylic cases that come with the teaching skeletons are for "shipping" only and not meant for display so they aren't responsible for any cracks, blah blah blah). Odd.
Yeah...the rock dove we have came encased, but unless I totally missed it, they don't sell cases solo. We also have an opossum skull from them that didn't come in a case which was disappointing.

Although I FOUND MY CASES! The Container Store carries super cheap AMAC plastic boxes that I'll be using for skulls that will fit the sizes available. I still have to figure out what to do with the full skeletons, but that's what summer vacation is for :p

Reactions: 2 users
I'm finally getting around to drafting an important e-mail. I'm caught between playing dumb or just coming out with how much research and planning I've already done before talking to this professor. It would really suck if he says "no" to my plans, but I don't think that will happen. Technically I did talk to him a year ago when I was waitlisted.

Basically, I want to do a dual degree, DVM/MS, but the MS is coming from a different college. The vet faculty I've talked to don't know of any student who has done that before so there is no solid framework for how the curricula will fit together. I've spent the last few weeks looking over the graduate handbook, asking the vet faculty about foreseeable limitations, and creating a document that gives a semester by semester plan for how I intend to finish both degrees in four years while meeting all of the requirements. I also have good leads on thesis projects and I might get 6-10 credits in exclusions and substitutions for graduate coursework already completed which would be wonderful since the MS minimum is only 30 credits. I'm hoping things will look good from the MS professor's perspective.

I finished a 10-mile trail run this weekend. It was challenging and pretty brutal.

mountainsmiley.gif

The first 4.2 miles were straight uphill ... and I mean super-steep uphill climbs that seemed to get steeper every quarter-mile. The downhill course was filled with steep declines that were so steep, I had to stop, and (slowly) walk sideways to avoid falling down/sliding down some of the steepest slopes. The overall elevation gain was about 1600-feet. After a while, I was huffing-and-puffing and thinking to myself, "when is this race gonna end 'cuz I'm already dying!"

Wildlife would pop out of nowhere. At one point, my group had to stop because some deer darted out of the trees and seemed to freeze on the path ahead of us. Another time, I had to stop to allow some rabbits to run out of the way. Of course, the wildlife is beautiful, but everyone still had to be cautious - after all, this is their home, and not ours.

When I finished the race, I felt overheated and slightly nauseated. I didn't want any water at the Finish Line because I was too exhausted to drink anything. My right foot was bleeding from two blisters (even though I wore a pair of shoes that had already been broken-in over the past 12 months).

Right now, I'm still sore and achy all over, but I finished the race -- and I didn't sprain anything ... and I didn't get bitten by any wildlife ... and I didn't fall over any cliffs!

Hooray - it was a good day! :)

Reactions: 11 users
A guy rolled his car behind me on the way home from work last night. Although it was on a highway, I live in a fairly rural area and was circling around to figure out what happened (it took me a moment to put 2 and 2 together since all I could really see were his lights darting off behind me). He was actually up and walking when I got to him. Had some glass in his arm and a knot on the side of his head from hitting the steering wheel but really pretty darn good, all things considered. Small town, so of course every emergency vehicle in the area showed up (three police, small fire truck, and an ambulance). Driver said a deer jumped out in front of him. We were going 65 mph in that area, so it looked like some Dukes of Hazzard craziness. Just a weird night.

Hey @Ashgirl , how do you take a temperature on a growlithe without it burning the clinic down? This is the second time this has happened and it's getting annoying.

Hey @Ashgirl , how do you take a temperature on a growlithe without it burning the clinic down? This is the second time this has happened and it's getting annoying.
That's an excellent question! At Pokemon Academy, we always have an assistant Chansey soothe them while their temp is being taken, and we have several water types at our disposal if one tries a flamethrower attack. Sometimes we take them into a room and let some Ghost types (such as Gengar) ease them to sleep with a Hypnosis treatment.

When all else fails, having a flame ******ant building helps :p.

Reactions: 8 users
That's an excellent question! At Pokemon Academy, we always have an assistant Chansey soothe them while their temp is being taken, and we have several water types at our disposal if one tries a flamethrower attack. Sometimes we take them into a room and let some Ghost types (such as Gengar) ease them to sleep with a Hypnosis treatment.

When all else fails, having a flame ******ant building helps :p.
Ooh! I'll have to talk to my boss into adding more assistant Chanseys, we had been trying to expand the clinic and didn't have enough Chanseys for each room.

Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure we use these next week- we have an intact male Arcanine coming in for an annual, so we'll make sure to have water types in the room, and we'll bring in our clinic Haunter- just in case! :hilarious: