Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That cat looks very unhappy. He needs a mouse on a string to chase about so that victory beer tastes even sweeter.
He was probably rooting for the Detroit Lions and saw them blow it. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe tie the potato chip to a string for the chase... :snaphappy:
@Lupin21 let's not give my cat any extra crazy ideas!

Actually, I thought the cat in the photo might be YOUR cat ... you know ... chips, beer, TV ... kinda sounds like something you'd encourage! :hardy:

@Lupin21 let's not give my cat any extra crazy ideas!

Actually, I thought the cat in the photo might be YOUR cat ... you know ... chips, beer, TV ... kinda sounds like something you'd encourage! :hardy:
I abhor fat pets, so the only way mine would have that is if they had had a workout first. haha

Reactions: 5 users
Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question. I am looking to take one more upper division biology. However, the school I am currently attending is only offering 1 in the summer. It is Human Embryology. What do you guys think of this course for vet school? Is it a bad choice for a upper division? Will it be a waste of my time and money? Thanks!!

Ophthalmology notes have become less interesting than watching my hermit crabs eat vegetables...

image.jpg

Pepper likes tomatos, in case you wanted to know.

Reactions: 7 users
Ophthalmology notes have become less interesting than watching my hermit crabs eat vegetables...

View attachment 216626

Pepper likes tomatos, in case you wanted to know.
Very cute photo of a lovely hermit crab!

I think I'll invite Pepper over for a party because I always keep several cartons of fresh cherry tomatoes in my home. Love tomatoes - yummy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question. I am looking to take one more upper division biology. However, the school I am currently attending is only offering 1 in the summer. It is Human Embryology. What do you guys think of this course for vet school? Is it a bad choice for a upper division? Will it be a waste of my time and money? Thanks!!
Embryology tends to be pretty similar across mammalian species (and really across all species), so I don't think it would be a waste of time necessarily. Sounds interesting to me! I would be more worried about spending the money if you don't need to.

Very cute photo of a lovely hermit crab!

I think I'll invite Pepper over for a party because I always keep several cartons of fresh cherry tomatoes in my home. Love tomatoes - yummy!

She accepts on the condition her two buddies can come also ;)

Well...maybe not number three. She actually is a hermit. I've only seen her out once I think in the past 6 weeks easily.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I usually get out of work early on Fridays, early enough that I can catch the earlier bus. I might stop that practice though and just keep to my normal bus. The people are way more chill.

An older woman was openly complaining about me "not standing in line" at the bus stop today. Not complaining to me, but about me. There were two other people waiting at the stop at that time. I really wanted to say something but then I thought, if your life is so boring and unfulfilled that playing bus line Nazi satisfies some deep seated psychological need for control, no comment from me is going to change your sad reality .... so silent pity it is!

I find it kind of amusing. I've ridden the city buses and the campus buses for years and no one has ever been that openly concerned about "lines" before.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish that Saturdays weren't my lazy weekend days. Any time I have to do any kind of in person banking (which can only get done on Saturdays due to my work schedule), it throws my weekend off and my usually productive Sundays get far less productive.... which sucks because then Monday rolls around and the normal chores aren't done. Mondays don't need any more reasons to suck.

I just inherited a partially complete turkey vulture skeleton to put together. Should be challenging yet fun. I think my biggest hurdle is working with superglue...I usually find myself adhered to my work surface at some point. It's going to be big once finished...I'm terrified of transporting it during my move!

If you need help transporting, I'm always willing to transport in my suburban! Plenty of room for him to not get damaged while held securely.

Also, snow is terrible.

Also, does anyone else ever go over to the pre-med section and wonder at how insane it all is over there?

If you need help transporting, I'm always willing to transport in my suburban! Plenty of room for him to not get damaged while held securely.

Also, snow is terrible.

Also, does anyone else ever go over to the pre-med section and wonder at how insane it all is over there?
I like going to pre-allo to feel good about myself, lol

I like going to pre-allo to feel good about myself, lol

I don't understand how some pre-meds can look down on pre-vets with how similar our applications really are

Reactions: 3 users
I don't understand how some pre-meds can look down on pre-vets with how similar our applications really are
@batsenecal here is a true story:

One of my high school acquaintances graduated at the top of his class from a well-respected state university. He was a likable guy, with many friends, and outside interests (e.g., hiking and snow skiing). He earned highest honors in biology and Phi Beta Kappa when he graduated with his B.S. degree. Thereafter, he applied to veterinary medicine school three times and was not accepted three times. He was crushed and baffled. He loved medical science.

While re-applying to vet med school (i.e., his first application cycle through the third cycle), he worked in a research lab to support himself, on a meager salary. After his 3rd try, he finally relinquished his dream to become a veterinarian. Thereafter, he applied for admission to human medical school. Now, he is an MD, with a busy orthopedic surgery practice (and 2 dogs and 2 cats in his home).

Bottom Line: it is really challenging to become a veterinarian!

veterinarian smiley.gif

@batsenecal here is a true story:

One of my high school acquaintances graduated at the top of his class from a well-respected state university. He was a likable guy, with many friends, and outside interests (e.g., hiking and snow skiing). He earned highest honors in biology and Phi Beta Kappa when he graduated with his B.S. degree. Thereafter, he applied to veterinary medicine school three times and was not accepted three times. He was crushed and baffled. He loved medical science.

While re-applying to vet med school (i.e., his first application cycle through the third cycle), he worked in a research lab to support himself, on a meager salary. After his 3rd try, he finally relinquished his dream to become a veterinarian. Thereafter, he applied for admission to human medical school. Now, he is an MD, with a busy orthopedic surgery practice (and 2 dogs and 2 cats in his home).

Bottom Line: it is really challenging to become a veterinarian!

View attachment 216758

Physicians are just veterinarians that can only treat one species ;)

Reactions: 9 users
Based on the number of long viral cautionary stories I've read lately, people seem to be really afraid (or paranoid) of being kidnapped and trafficked.
What's amusing to me though is that the gist of the stories are the same - "I was suspicious of strangers in public and nothing happened but you should still be afraid so here's my warning."

I've never dared venture but...

Some pre-med posted on a thread over here and in his/her signature were GPA/MCAT scores/how many interviews they'd received. I was like whoaaa.

I've never dared venture but...

Some pre-med posted on a thread over here and in his/her signature were GPA/MCAT scores/how many interviews they'd received. I was like whoaaa.

I think that's fairly common over there- I don't think it's to brag, I think it's to provide context. People here share their stats all the time.

I think that's fairly common over there- I don't think it's to brag, I think it's to provide context. People here share their stats all the time.

I'm sure it is common over there. It just surprised me.

The difference here being that stats are shared in a specified thread or where advice is being sought. Not where everyone will be constantly reading it whenever you post...

The difference here being that stats are shared in a specified thread or where advice is being sought. Not where everyone will be constantly reading it whenever you post...

This is basically what I was thinking...it was just interesting to me.

Sure, I'm not saying anyone should do it, I'm just saying that's probably why they do. Considering how numbers-heavy med school admissions are and how admissions are just about the sole focus of that forum, I can see how it would be helpful. I don't find it weird.

But yeah this forum is a lot more positive and helpful than that one (though there are some great members there too).

Sure, I'm not saying anyone should do it, I'm just saying that's probably why they do. Considering how numbers-heavy med school admissions are and how admissions are just about the sole focus of that forum, I can see how it would be helpful. I don't find it weird.

But yeah this forum is a lot more positive and helpful than that one (though there are some great members there too).

Prevet is the bestest:biglove:

Note: I just went over there for the first time...where's all the fun threads lol

I saw the other day that someone posted that there were 830,000 applicants to med schools last year. No wonder it's so academics heavy. 110 times the number of vet med applicants.

I saw the other day that someone posted that there were 830,000 applicants to med schools last year. No wonder it's so academics heavy. 110 times the number of vet med applicants.

They also have a lot more schools though don't they?

They also have a lot more schools though don't they?
Understatement of the century but they also have the whole tier thing...so the rankings of the schools actually matter and the schools at the top are probably getting way more applicants than any vet school is.

Understatement of the century but they also have the whole tier thing...so the rankings of the schools actually matter and the schools at the top are probably getting way more applicants than any vet school is.

Like the twilight zone or something

As of May 2015 there are 179 total medical schools in the United States. This includes 143 allopathic (MD) and 36 osteopathic (DO) medical schools.

Looked it up.

As of May 2015 there are 179 total medical schools in the United States. This includes 143 allopathic (MD) and 36 osteopathic (DO) medical schools.

Looked it up.

Interesting. I feel like I've gotten quite an education on med school this evening

They have 110 times the applicants, but I 6 times as many schools. That's a lot of disappointed pre-meds.....

holy hell. $$$$$:eek:
Based off last year I think it was actually like $20 a school for their version of VMCAS. I know when I applied to 9 vet schools, my SO applied to 19 med schools and my base application fee was significantly more expensive than his.

Based off last year I think it was actually like $20 a school for their version of VMCAS. I know when I applied to 9 vet schools, my SO applied to 19 med schools and my base application fee was significantly more expensive than his.

Oh wow. Well then no wonder they apply to so many...

I was doing the math 20 X 100 and cringing...

That 830,000 number is med school applications.
The total number of applicants was a little over 53,000 based on AAMC's 2016-2017 stats.
In addition, it looks like 21,000 applicants matriculated.