Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
During the cruise, where there were far more adults than us college students (over 400 from my school alone), I would be asked the typical year, major, plans for life from said adults. After I mention vet school in the works eventually many would mention how I would be making so much money. Hahahahahahaha no. Sorry sir who thinks that you pay a lot for your dog and your vet makes bank. Another mentioned that I should look into the Smithsonian and the national zoo to work after vet school. That's even harder than getting into just vet school.
Also got several very drunk adults saying I made the miss their animals by our conversations about all of this.

End rant/story/rave/whatever this is

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
During the cruise, where there were far more adults than us college students (over 400 from my school alone), I would be asked the typical year, major, plans for life from said adults. After I mention vet school in the works eventually many would mention how I would be making so much money. Hahahahahahaha no. Sorry sir who thinks that you pay a lot for your dog and your vet makes bank. Another mentioned that I should look into the Smithsonian and the national zoo to work after vet school. That's even harder than getting into just vet school.
Also got several very drunk adults saying I made the miss their animals by our conversations about all of this.

End rant/story/rave/whatever this is

To be fair, I'm sure vet students/veterinarians also have misconceptions about other schooling paths and careers. Largely it's just amusing to hear what some people think about the vet school process and profession.

I had to explain to a coworker last week that it would be impossible for me to get the tuition reimbursement benefits of my current workplace because I would be unable to work anything approaching 40 hours in a traditional 9-5 job while in school. Vet school, definitely not a part time educational program.
(Lots of people at my workplace will go on and get various master's that relate to public health but they do it one or two classes at a time so they are still working a solid 40.)

Reactions: 1 user
There's a French beauty and the beast film (from 2014) that I've wanted to watch forever, but I've only ever found it on Amazon (for nearly $30) and I didn't want to spend the money and then be disappointed if I didn't like it. But now there's suddenly a bigger demand for it (what with the hype of the Disney movie), and I'm seeing it literally everywhere. So I finally got to watch it and I loved it. :love: It wasn't perfect, but it was a pretty faithful adaption to the fairy tale and I actually enjoyed this story more than the Disney versions. So, if anyone's interested, I recommend. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe they don't know how to have fun.
Remind me about this "fun stuff" when I play in another WW game and get accused, poked, prodded, attacked and slaughtered for having fun! Hahaha!

Fighting with Baseball Bats.gif

Reactions: 2 users
I've never dared venture but...

Some pre-med posted on a thread over here and in his/her signature were GPA/MCAT scores/how many interviews they'd received. I was like whoaaa.
?
GPA: 5.0 // MCAT 529 (100.9th %ile) // 0 Apps Submitted // 0 Secondaries // 20 II's // 20 Acceptances // 0 Rejections

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it WAS only a 4.0......
I was told women won't make eye contact with a 4.0 beta. :(

Think of it like an OK cupid profile

"6'5" with an athletic build"

Reactions: 8 users
I was told women won't make eye contact with a 4.0 beta. :(

Think of it like an OK cupid profile

"6'5" with an athletic build"
Why wouldn't women be holding eye contact? We all know that the only way to maintain dominance is to never break eye contact. Only alphas go to med school!

Why wouldn't women be holding eye contact? We all know that the only way to maintain dominance is to never break eye contact. Only alphas go to med school!
The female can only handle so much alpha. MDs are alpha AF. Like, Tom Selleck wrestling a bear or something.

The female can only handle so much alpha. And an MD is like Tom Selleck wrestling a bear.
OK, I can only play this character for like 5 minutes before I start to feel gross haha :barf:

I wonder how proto does it :confused:

Reactions: 4 users
I think it's been becoming increasingly clear to me that Proto feels no shame
****, think he's bad? You should see the "cuck slayer" troll in the SPF :confused:

Actual quote from my housemate: "I don't know if I'm going to be here this weekend but if I am we shall have multiple delicious breakfasts."

Oh lord I'm gonna miss living with him.

This is a bit of a weird question, but I figured that it would be better to post it here rather than start an entirely new thread.

I've been working at a job with the ophthalmology department at the teaching hospital for a little while now, and it is going well. Tomorrow I have an interview for another potential job (running stats and doing some manuscript stuff for a couple of oncology research projects). I know many people on SDN have worked one job while in vet school, but has anyone here worked two? If so, did you think it was too much to handle?

I really need the money. The amount we're allotted for living expenses isn't much; I know of multiple classmates struggling to pay all of their bills on it. During the fall semester, for me at least, it's fine, but trying to stretch it out to last over spring AND summer is... tough. If I didn't have to shell out almost a grand back to the school for my rabies series, it would have helped tremendously.

Both jobs are at the teaching hospital and are extremely flexible and basically allow me to work 5-15 hrs/week whenever I want. I am doing much better academically this semester than last, with the exception of anatomy which I now have a tutor for, so I don't think that that is a major issue at this point. It'll also be nice in that I will be making more connections with clinicians and whatnot.

If you think you can handle it, it sounds like a great opportunity. I wouldn't try to stretch your aid out over summer and instead try to find full time work either by upping hours at your current opportunities or finding new work. That sold help. Also you might want to speak to someone in financial aid about budgeting. Not that your not doing a wonderful job, I'm sure you are but I know there's someone at ISU who helps students with what they've been alloted and make it work. They might help you find cheaper housing, or maybe a way to stretch grocery money. Or maybe take off cable, dunno. I'm always here if you want to run numbers. Best of luck.

If you think you can handle it, it sounds like a great opportunity. I wouldn't try to stretch your aid out over summer and instead try to find full time work either by upping hours at your current opportunities or finding new work. That should help. Also you might want to speak to someone in financial aid about budgeting. Not that your not doing a wonderful job, I'm sure you are but I know there's someone at ISU who helps students with what they've been alloted and make it work. They might help you find cheaper housing, or maybe a way to stretch grocery money. Or maybe take off cable, dunno. I'm always here if you want to run numbers. Best of luck.
stupid mobile

This is a bit of a weird question, but I figured that it would be better to post it here rather than start an entirely new thread.

I've been working at a job with the ophthalmology department at the teaching hospital for a little while now, and it is going well. Tomorrow I have an interview for another potential job (running stats and doing some manuscript stuff for a couple of oncology research projects). I know many people on SDN have worked one job while in vet school, but has anyone here worked two? If so, did you think it was too much to handle?

I really need the money. The amount we're allotted for living expenses isn't much; I know of multiple classmates struggling to pay all of their bills on it. During the fall semester, for me at least, it's fine, but trying to stretch it out to last over spring AND summer is... tough. If I didn't have to shell out almost a grand back to the school for my rabies series, it would have helped tremendously.

Both jobs are at the teaching hospital and are extremely flexible and basically allow me to work 5-15 hrs/week whenever I want. I am doing much better academically this semester than last, with the exception of anatomy which I now have a tutor for, so I don't think that that is a major issue at this point. It'll also be nice in that I will be making more connections with clinicians and whatnot.
I had two jobs during my second year. One was weekday evenings about once a week and the other was weekends (two 11 hour shifts every 3-4 weeks). It definitely made some of my life a bit more hectic, but they were both flexible enough that I could make sure I wasn't working the nights before tests and do other things to make sure I was having enough time for me as well as the studying. It was a nice year in terms of being able to afford things (also happened to be the year I got a crap ton of scholarships, so that helped as well) but I decided I wasn't going to continue that for third year and went back down to 1 job. Now I'm kind of regretting that since it's the end of 4th year, I haven't worked at all this year, maxed out my student loans, dipped into my meager savings, and am still running low on funds. I'll make it work, but having monies is a big stress reducer.

Also I agree with Coopah above about working during your summer. Find a full time gig that pays and save that, both for the upcoming year and set aside some extra for fourth year. Especially if you plan on doing a lot of externships with no housing included (I spent so much guys, it makes me sad looking back). It doesn't even have to be vet med related, though obviously go for it if you get the chance. Still take time in the summer to be a human and relax, but earning money will make you thank yourself later. Promise.

I fought with financial aid for more money and won. The amount they insisted a person could live off for a year was absurd.

This hospital waiting room smells terrible. Buts it's not something that I can figure out what's causing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Some conversations should probably be kept private on Facebook, especially when they involve defrauding the government. I was reading one such exchange tonight. It's possible these people are just plain ignorant. You'd have to be to openly discuss not declaring your tips on your taxes. Further amusing tidbit, at least one of these persons likes to rage against people who abuse government handouts and don't work/don't pay taxes.

Many of you have recently presented with various health issues, so I'm prescribing more kittens.

@cdoconn, @NStarz, @PippyPony's flu-stricken husband, @Balesofhay, @wallydo and @killerleaf; as well as @SkiOtter and @vetmedhead (because they love cats) are due a few extra purrs and cute little meows. If I omitted anyone else who has been ailing - very sorry - you get kittens (or puppies), too.

Hope everyone feels better this weekend! :)

Hmmm ... I'm also tempted to send a huge kindle of kittens to @WhtsThFrequency because WTF loves cats! ;)

bunchkittens.png

Reactions: 15 users
Many of you have recently presented with various health issues, so I'm prescribing more kittens.

@cdoconn, @NStarz, @PippyPony's flu-stricken husband, @Balesofhay, @wallydo and @killerleaf; as well as @SkiOtter and @vetmedhead (because they love cats) are due a few extra purrs and cute little meows. If I omitted anyone else who has been ailing - very sorry - you get kittens (or puppies), too.

Hmmm ... I'm also tempted to send a huge kindle of kittens to @WhtsThFrequency because WTF loves cats! ;)

View attachment 217185
@Doctor-S you're the sweetest person ever! Your students are lucky to have you!! :biglove:

Reactions: 3 users
Supposed to be eating healthy, but was craving Five Guys so I got it. Getting the cheeseburger on lettuce instead of a bun counts as healthy, right?

Reactions: 12 users

View attachment 217185
Awww it's made me productive though. I've done a lot of apartment hunting while dealing with my crazy and finally maturing kitten. It's also gotten me out of many social obligations

View attachment 217185

Hehehe. Actually I do really love cats. I just know they are inherently dicks :D

This is mah kitteh

14731185_10104845533568743_8466528176501488777_n.jpg

Bish please, she says. How could anyone be sad with something as amazing as moi in the world.

Reactions: 19 users
Hehehe. Actually I do really love cats. I just know they are inherently dicks :D

This is mah kitteh

14731185_10104845533568743_8466528176501488777_n.jpg

Bish please, she says. How could anyone be sad with something as amazing as moi in the world.
Your cat is fluffy-licious beautiful!

I just inherited a partially complete turkey vulture skeleton to put together. Should be challenging yet fun. I think my biggest hurdle is working with superglue...I usually find myself adhered to my work surface at some point. It's going to be big once finished...I'm terrified of transporting it during my move!
Add multiple broken skulls, another full skeleton, and 4 more skulls +/- an entire skeleton I need to put down in the beetles :whoa:If interesting species would stop dying in the wildlife clinic...

@Devastating, do you happen to mount your skeletons or put your skulls in display cases? I'm looking for a good source of cases