Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a gen z I had the opportunity to never join Facebook and I took advantage of it, it seems that again and again my decision has been validated

Members don't see this ad.

I actually straight up quit Facebook. Like logged out of it on my phone, though still logged on my computer. But I generally don't go on my computer for fun things. So haven't been on in 2 months or so. I'm way less stressed/angry now that SDN is my only social media. 😅
I've definitely deleted it several times but at some point reinstall it. Probably time for a deinstall again!

As a gen z I had the opportunity to never join Facebook and I took advantage of it, it seems that again and again my decision has been validated
I remember getting Facebook in middle school for Farmville. Don't make me feel old, please and thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How can I be mad at her cute face? But like seriously I block off my couch and she still finds a way to eat a sweatshirt I left on the couch. Guess I need to get an x pen now

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
So as a general rule I don't engage people on FB regarding vet stuff 99% of the time because its like speaking into a void, but I broke down and did because someone was saying how sad a trained professional that could do something wouldn't try to fix what I assume was cardiac tamponade without the o paying 3k in addition to the 1.5k they had already paid for work up. And treating this one case wouldn't shut the hospital down. Person seems to be lacking basic brain power as to why that's an offensive statement, lack of understanding of seriousness of the disease and its not an easy fix, and lack of general money function understanding of the world and the fact most vets have 0 ability to control tx without collection of funds. Common senses and the ability to critically think and emotionally engage in a proper manner is why the general public sucks. I tried but I don't get too heated over it my goal is always general education for people and they can take it or leave it and encourage kindness towards those caring for the patient. Also I would be rich if I had a dollar for everytime I had to turn people away or give suboptimal care-they didn't seem to understand that😅
Gosh why don't you just treat the [usually poor prognosis] tamponade for free? They definitely deserve it more than every other [probably better prognosis] patient who couldn't afford optimal care that week.

I somewhat recently had an insured 7yo GSD go to the vet school after I tapped her. Heart base mass, got a CT, got a lap pericardial window - hemangiosarcoma of course - came back two weeks later super weak with likely almost two liters of blood in her chest (because now the bleeding doesn't just get stuck around the heart). They tapped a decent amount off but didn't want to exsanguinate her and left some after she was breathing better so she could go enjoy the beach a last time or two.

yeeaaaaaah there's idiopathic as a cause... but man, if I were going to put my money to free procedures in a hypothetical hospital, pericardial effusion ain't it.

I learn a lot from vet groups on Facebook. It's definitely great passive CE, and I enjoy giving feedback, but I exclusively stick to non-layperson ones nowadays because of stuff like that.

Reactions: 5 users
Gosh why don't you just treat the [usually poor prognosis] tamponade for free? They definitely deserve it more than every other [probably better prognosis] patient who couldn't afford optimal care that week.

I somewhat recently had an insured 7yo GSD go to the vet school after I tapped her. Heart base mass, got a CT, got a lap pericardial window - hemangiosarcoma of course - came back two weeks later super weak with likely almost two liters of blood in her chest (because now the bleeding doesn't just get stuck around the heart). They tapped a decent amount off but didn't want to exsanguinate her and left some after she was breathing better so she could go enjoy the beach a last time or two.

yeeaaaaaah there's idiopathic as a cause... but man, if I were going to put my money to free procedures in a hypothetical hospital, pericardial effusion ain't it.

I learn a lot from vet groups on Facebook. It's definitely great passive CE, and I enjoy giving feedback, but I exclusively stick to non-layperson ones nowadays because of stuff like that.
I could treat and save at least 3 parvo pups for that number or 10ish rattlesnake bites. Take out a few eyeballs. Take a few pyos. Much better allocation of money than cardiac tamponade unfortunately

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Fixed my bike tires last night so biked Lilly to work today to finish her workup after a brief suspected vestibular episode yesterday. Pic will poof later sometime.
*poof*

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Farming opinions here, did anyone purchase a home/condo/etc for the 4 years of vet school and did you think it paid off? Or alternatively, was it a horrible mistake?

Farming opinions here, did anyone purchase a home/condo/etc for the 4 years of vet school and did you think it paid off? Or alternatively, was it a horrible mistake?
Really going to depend on where you live I think. Home ownership in general is a headache, but a different one than renting. I also know interest rates are still sky high, so the math is very different than prepandemic or even mid pandemic. There was also a big shakeup in how relators get paid very recently, it's unclear how home prices will be affected by this.

Reactions: 1 user
Really going to depend on where you live I think. Home ownership in general is a headache, but a different one than renting. I also know interest rates are still sky high, so the math is very different than prepandemic or even mid pandemic. There was also a big shakeup in how relators get paid very recently, it's unclear how home prices will be affected by this.
Yeah the interest rates piece is what's been turning me away from the idea. It'd be up in Minnesota. there's definitely pros and cons to both sides, with a large con being that home ownership comes with all the lovely responsibility that if something busts on the house I'm on the line to fix it. Hmm, definitely lots to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
My parents bought a house for me to live in during school as their contribution to my education. (Yes, I know that is lucky and I appreciate what they did.) It was a fairly neutral to slightly positive investment in the end. I had a roommate who’s rent covered about 2/3 the mortgage and her half of the bills. She was two years behind me in school, and when I graduated, they sold the house to my roommate’s parents for essentially what we bought it for (no realtors involved which helped with profits). We purposefully bought a three bedroom house just in case something happened and I needed to take another roommate to cover more costs, but neither my roommate or I wanted a third person so it was just the two of us. My parents didn’t make money in the end, but they got their down payment back and the monthly costs were still less than renting would have been because I had the roommate. When my roommates parents sold it after she graduated, I think they made a little profit since housing costs had risen (sold it for more than they bought it from us for at least), but they had to use a realtor to sell and stuff.

It’s nice to not have to worry about leases or pet requirements, but there are definitely a lot of downsides to homeownership too…if something broke, I had to find a handyman to fix it or my dad had to drive 2.5 hours to handle it. Our fridge went out, our water heater had to be replaced, the fence was iffy and needed repair, we had to lay some sod in an area the dogs were wearing down…if you do purchase a home make sure you have enough in savings for those unexpected home expenses. Also the home maintenance takes like mowing or snow removal either take up your time to do it yourself or your money to hire someone. But if we had had more significant expenses or if we hadn’t been able to easily sell it, it could have been a different story. I’d probably just rent with the current state of the real estate market, tbh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I was looking into this as well in Arizona. And I saw that it was cheaper for me to rent than it was for me to own the house. So we opted for me to just rent and save any extra money while I am there. The interest rates make a house that would otherwise be affordable be out of budget for the time being (partner is staying with kiddo during vet school years, so two households are covered by one income)

I wish I had purchased instead of rented, but the evaluation is 2016-2021 (I repeated first year). I ultimately paid around 40-45k in rent in Illinois for vet school. If I had been able to purchase and then sell the home for the same cost+ whatever, it would have been worth it. Several friends went through this.

Cosmetic fixes generally don't pay for themselves, but certain fixes do on homes. So overall, you'll always lose money renting (in general) cause you can never get any of the rent back at all; you could potentially (likely even) get a portion of the cost of care back for a home. What you spend on home repairs has to be equal to or less than what you would rent over that 4 years though.

However, as mentioned, interest rates at 6-7% is *rough* because the high interest rates are across the board. The heat pump I just paid off had a 10%(!) interest rate, which is double what it would have been when I bought my house. So some big repairs (HVAC) will also have that high interest rate.

At this point, the reserve is not going to lower until the fall or even next spring. So holding out won't matter.

It really depends on the current market where you’re looking to buy.

I had been renting my condo for a few years (moved in two years before vet school) and then was presented with the opportunity to purchase from the owners for a great price back in 2019 when I was a second year. The mortgage+COA fees were going to be $300-400 cheaper than the monthly rent. As a student, I didn’t really have money/job to secure a loan so I pitched it to my parents as a wise investment and they purchased it for me. The condo (which I still live in) has now doubled in value and I’ll likely be using the equity as a down payment for a house in the near future.

Reactions: 2 users
Was incredibly fortunate to have my parents buy us a modular in a trailer park after they luckily sold some commercial property. It came out much better for us given we had a dog and it was me and my husband so we didnt really want any roommates so rentals were higher for us. We hit the market just right. Made around 40k on the modular over a 3 year time period (thanks covid). My parents got it figured to me so when we sold I was able to use it as a down payment on my current house. It paid off for us, but ultimately I think especially with today's interest rates you'd be lucky to break even. In other times you might be closer to breaking even.

Vet school is temporary so overall renting is usually a better option especially if you can do roommates and slash that rent. Definitely run the numbers to see what would make sense for your area and situation

Went to a new gynecologist for some routine stuff the other day. I must have been his first patient that at least admitted to being a veterinarian in the close to 20+ years he's been practicing. He was FACINATED that i was a vet and how cool it was. Especially when we got on the subject of surgery and that we do csections on dogs, goats, etc. It was quite the experience. I felt like a mini celebrity and more important that him with an MD and specialty training 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Went to a new gynecologist for some routine stuff the other day. I must have been his first patient that at least admitted to being a veterinarian in the close to 20+ years he's been practicing. He was FACINATED that i was a vet and how cool it was. Especially when we got on the subject of surgery and that we do csections on dogs, goats, etc. It was quite the experience. I felt like a mini celebrity and more important that him with an MD and specialty training 😅
My GI doctor told me on my first visit "I know I shouldn't say this because you're my patient, but I've always felt more of a connection with animals" when I brought up where I work. I just thought the whole interaction was so sweet. She's honestly one of my better doctors, and I definitely don't hold it against her.

I've also talked to my dentist about it too, and the fact we have veterinary dentists. They're always so fascinated by it.

They're always so fascinated by it.
This is my experience too. Doctors, dentists, etc. ask what I do, I tell them I’m a veterinary pathologist, and then they ask what education is involved in that. Then they’re mind is blown (especially the MDs) when I explain that I had to do an internship and residency just like they did.

when I went to the optometrist the other day-- the dr, the receptionist, assistant basically everyone I interacted with was telling me different animal stories lol. I was in my work clothes because I always schedule medical things right after overnight shifts

one of them had a cat that survived having a uroabdomen twice. another one talked to me about their dog that had TPLO surgery.

I have told the ultrasonographers I've had for my pregnancies that I'm a vet who loves ultrasound. So then they're super gung ho to point out extra stuff. We found the foramen oval in my son's heart at his 34 week scan 😍