Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am filling out an application for a mentor, and the question "What are your personal interests/hobbies?" is asked. I realized that I don't really have anything to put there that is worthy. Somehow I don't think Netflix and The Sims is going to make me seem like an intellectual.
Your interests are your interests man...mine would be internet, tv/movies, books, and video games :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am filling out an application for a mentor, and the question "What are your personal interests/hobbies?" is asked. I realized that I don't really have anything to put there that is worthy. Somehow I don't think Netflix and The Sims is going to make me seem like an intellectual.
I hate when clinicians ask the first day of a rotation what our favorite non-vet med related hobby is...like I've had time, energy or motivation for one this year. Unless drinking counts. Or watching movies online with my internet friends? Snapchat? Snapchat is definitely a hobby, uhhh. I feed my dogs! Wait, is that vet med related? I just read harry potter for the 100th time or so...Oh crap its my turn. "Hiking" Oh wait, I haven't gone hiking for a year. oh well they dont need to know that.

Reactions: 4 users
I hate when clinicians ask the first day of a rotation what our favorite non-vet med related hobby is...like I've had time, energy or motivation for one this year. Unless drinking counts. Or watching movies online with my internet friends? Snapchat? Snapchat is definitely a hobby, uhhh. I feed my dogs! Wait, is that vet med related? I just read harry potter for the 100th time or so...Oh crap its my turn. "Hiking" Oh wait, I haven't gone hiking for a year. oh well they dont need to know that.
Are hobbies and addictions the same thing? :thinking:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm sure you can fashion something that sounds more pretentious, like, "patron of the home cinema."

I find that I run into the problem that most of my hobbies blend with things that are vet med/work related. Yes, I've made a hobby out of articulating skeletons, but that is part of my e-board position. Yes, I love wildlife rehab, but now it's part of my professional goals.
I'm sure you can fashion something that sounds more pretentious, like, "patron of the home cinema."
I briefly considered 'facial artistry and the collecting (read: hoarding) of facial artistry supplies' in lieu of 'I like to put a new face on my real face.'

OMG, this is funny!

Remind me to ask my students and residents this same type of question, just to watch their reactions!

Was listening to the resident and clinician discuss a case today and couldn't figure out anything they were saying and I just figured I was sleepy and out of it...few minutes later I realize they were speaking French. That took me far too long. One more day guys...

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG, this is funny!

Remind me to ask my students and residents this same type of question, just to watch their reactions!
@Coopah ... now I see WHAT you meant about hobbies!!!

I hadn't read this thread yet - you're on a roll today - very funny!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
:slap:scolding (without the slap)/reminder to take care of yourself outside of school and your soon to be internship life :) I'm an ECC resident, and all 4 of us ECC crazies (my older sisters and me) have hobbies outside of our ridiculous schedules. Baking, hiking, long walks, riding motorcycles, reading for pleasure, crafting, yoga, running, etc - just some of the things we enjoy :)

One of the hardest/silliest I was asked as a student was what my favorite cereal was. Because really, who wastes time on cereal when you're just hungry 5 minutes later??

:slap:scolding (without the slap)/reminder to take care of yourself outside of school and your soon to be internship life :) I'm an ECC resident, and all 4 of us ECC crazies (my older sisters and me) have hobbies outside of our ridiculous schedules. Baking, hiking, long walks, riding motorcycles, reading for pleasure, crafting, yoga, running, etc - just some of the things we enjoy :)

One of the hardest/silliest I was asked as a student was what my favorite cereal was. Because really, who wastes time on cereal when you're just hungry 5 minutes later??
I always like the question - what would your realistic superpower be? My roommate really wants to be able to accurately assess volume so she chooses the perfect tupperware every time.

I always like the question - what would your realistic superpower be? My roommate really wants to be able to accurately assess volume so she chooses the perfect tupperware every time.
Mine is to actually be able to open any package the way the box says it should be opened and have it work. Specifically those terrible perforated tabs on macaroni and cheese boxes.

I just decided I'd like mine to be the power to have all the socks match up to their pairs in every load of laundry.

Reactions: 3 users

One of the doctors/mentors I'm working with is already hounding me to find a hobby. Taking care of myself is definitely something I fail at.

One of the doctors/mentors I'm working with is already hounding me to find a hobby. Taking care of myself is definitely something I fail at.
It didn't have to be hiking, or knitting or painting. Whatever you like to do on your own time can be your hobby

You guys. Muy dog's farts are SO disgusting. Like. Real bad. (And before anyone asks I can't switch her food due to health issues and she's on a bunch of meds, the struggle is real)

Like, they permeate the room and cling inside your nostrils.

Frosted Mini Wheats are actually pretty filling... :oops:

You guys. Muy dog's farts are SO disgusting. Like. Real bad. (And before anyone asks I can't switch her food due to health issues and she's on a bunch of meds, the struggle is real)

Like, they permeate the room and cling inside your nostrils.

Don't blame the dog

Officially making this next week my "Pinterest Recipe Cooking Extravaganza" aka "Make food ahead of time so that I don't eat only fast food for the next 2 weeks straight because I'm lazy". Incidentally everything is vegetarian/vegan because I am still too lazy to cook meat.

The planned menu is:

Curried coconut lentil soup as per @Trilt
Carrot apple ginger soup
Tomato lentil pasta

So that was a first for me ... just did breast reconstruction surgery on a lactating/nursing bitch who got impaled on a fence and ripped a few mammary glands almost entire off along with the rest of her abdomen.

My next gig: Plastic surgery for canines.

I can charge more for that shiz, right?

Reactions: 15 users
Officially making this next week my "Pinterest Recipe Cooking Extravaganza" aka "Make food ahead of time so that I don't eat only fast food for the next 2 weeks straight because I'm lazy". Incidentally everything is vegetarian/vegan because I am still too lazy to cook meat.

The planned menu is:

Curried coconut lentil soup as per @Trilt
Carrot apple ginger soup
Tomato lentil pasta
You did ask me for the recipe! Sorry I was pretty out of it last night.

It's sooooooo freaking good. I might make some today.

Hooked up the old VCR...to watch Lion King 2 because I only have it on VHS.
Hey, if you let me watch it with you, I'll bring popcorn and pizza. I haven't seen Lion King No. 1 and did not even know there was a sequel to Lion King No. 1.

If you really cared, you'd do it for free. ;)

DVMD, please. You know I'm only in it for the cash and hoes.

I *did* have to laugh as I'm sitting there nitpicking around with the tissue to attach around the nipple to make a normal-appearing, functional mammary and reconstructing everything down below it and into the inguinal canal. Not exactly what I usually do on ER - usually my laceration repairs are "quick sew it all back together so you can get to the rooms that are waiting to be seen." I spent an entire hour putting this one together. Was fun. Kinda neat to do something different.

DVMD, please. You know I'm only in it for the cash and hoes.

I *did* have to laugh as I'm sitting there nitpicking around with the tissue to attach around the nipple to make a normal-appearing, functional mammary and reconstructing everything down below it and into the inguinal canal. Not exactly what I usually do on ER - usually my laceration repairs are "quick sew it all back together so you can get to the rooms that are waiting to be seen." I spent an entire hour putting this one together. Was fun. Kinda neat to do something different.

You're really just in it for the pus.sies, aren't you???

Hey, if you let me watch it with you, I'll bring popcorn and pizza. I haven't seen Lion King No. 1 and did not even know there was a sequel to Lion King No. 1.

i don't know whether to feel happy or sad for you. Happy because lion king is an excellent movie and you still get to watch it fresh. sad because it's been out for so long and you've been missing out.

I made some questionable life choices last night and my platonic-housemate-of-2-years is suddenly not platonic.

coquette...I feel like it's been a little not platonic for a long time based on how you both treat each other (from other posts of yours). I hope it works out because you obviously both care for each other a lot. :)

Reactions: 8 users