Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So one of my more embarrassing phobias: ladybugs. And guess what is flying around my room right now? I think I might hurl, lol.

Seriously though, when we moved into our house in Michigan ~15 years ago, there was a plague-like infestation of ladybugs a few weeks into living there. Like, you would wake up and they'd be all over the ceiling, on you, etc. The clicking of their wings used to wake me up at night, eventually I just slept at my uncle's. It only happened that one year, but it was terrible. I think my dad cleaned out several pounds worth of them from our air vents that summer. Ugh it was so gross.

Anyone else care to share some fears/phobias that they know are actually kind of funny while being terrifying? My little sister is terrified of butterflies (one landed on her at the National Zoo when she was like 4), I have a friend who can't be around bananas, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember when I was in elementary school, from time to time some people would come and do extreme tricks like that to advertise their yo-yos. (it worked and I definitely convinced my parents to let me get a glow in the dark one, lmao)

And thanks for the recs so far! I looked around last night and saved some possible zoo and equine/large places, will keep looking after this week. There were a few externships/internships I saw (like the Marine Mammal Center) that are more geared for post-graduation/post-NVTE techs.

I think Dallas Zoo might take tech externs also? Worth checking into! As far as I know they don't have housing, but you could always ask about the possibility of renting a room from a keeper or other staff member for those 3 weeks.

I meant to post this here before it aired but there is a show called "The Zoo" about the Bronx Zoo and my old advisor was on it. She collected/grew/transferred Bison embryos into 6 of their research herd and last I heard 3 were pregnant. (We have already had some born at the zoo and had calves born at the research herd in CO too... but this was on TV!)

Members don't see this ad :)
So one of my more embarrassing phobias: ladybugs. And guess what is flying around my room right now? I think I might hurl, lol.

Seriously though, when we moved into our house in Michigan ~15 years ago, there was a plague-like infestation of ladybugs a few weeks into living there. Like, you would wake up and they'd be all over the ceiling, on you, etc. The clicking of their wings used to wake me up at night, eventually I just slept at my uncle's. It only happened that one year, but it was terrible. I think my dad cleaned out several pounds worth of them from our air vents that summer. Ugh it was so gross.

Anyone else care to share some fears/phobias that they know are actually kind of funny while being terrifying? My little sister is terrified of butterflies (one landed on her at the National Zoo when she was like 4), I have a friend who can't be around bananas, etc.
I don't think I'd call it a phobia, but I get really uncomfortable around people in animal costumes where you can't see their face (like mascots). I think it's the unmoving expressions that creep me out.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a horrible person so this discussion is making me want to post pictures of people's phobias. Restraining myself though.

I really don't like dolls, that's really the only thing that approaches a phobia for me. Was a lot worse when I was younger, now they just make me mildly uncomfortable.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't like mannequins or realistic porcelain dolls. They just freak me out.

I have a couple stories where they have moved. One was from a climbing company and was just grey and plastic granite looking. We had a camera on it overnight. Camera glitches and it moved all of 2 inches, but still, it moved.

In middle school, I slept over at a friend's house. She said very few people were willing to sleep over, especially in her room and she'd even had several people go home in the middle of the night. Her room was lined on nearly every wall with porcelain dolls. They were set up so most of them stared at you no matter where you were in the room. I woke up twice with dolls off the wall and near my head. I don't sleep through any movement so I know my friend didn't do it. (Besides, she would have had to get out of her squeaky bed, walk across a creeky floor, step over me to reach the dolls in question, and set them inches from my face and the back of my head without waking me up... multiple times. And I can't swear, but I am pretty sure one went from a neutral face to a smile by the next day.

She later told me that they were all given to her by her grandmother, a witch of some sort of high standing. Sarah had been told they would protect her. (She had been given them after Sarah's mom started dating an abusive guy.) She never had to worry about him coming in her room again, but she said she regularly had to collect the dolls from other parts of the house.

I still don't know what to believe, but they creep me out forever now.

I'm a horrible person so this discussion is making me want to post pictures of people's phobias. Restraining myself though.

I really don't like dolls, that's really the only thing that approaches a phobia for me. Was a lot worse when I was younger, now they just make me mildly uncomfortable.
I've yet to meet someone who actually likes dolls (beyond the Mattel variety).

I don't like mannequins or realistic porcelain dolls. They just freak me out.

I have a couple stories where they have moved. One was from a climbing company and was just grey and plastic granite looking. We had a camera on it overnight. Camera glitches and it moved all of 2 inches, but still, it moved.

In middle school, I slept over at a friend's house. She said very few people were willing to sleep over, especially in her room and she'd even had several people go home in the middle of the night. Her room was lined on nearly every wall with porcelain dolls. They were set up so most of them stared at you no matter where you were in the room. I woke up twice with dolls off the wall and near my head. I don't sleep through any movement so I know my friend didn't do it. (Besides, she would have had to get out of her squeaky bed, walk across a creeky floor, step over me to reach the dolls in question, and set them inches from my face and the back of my head without waking me up... multiple times. And I can't swear, but I am pretty sure one went from a neutral face to a smile by the next day.

She later told me that they were all given to her by her grandmother, a witch of some sort of high standing. Sarah had been told they would protect her. (She had been given them after Sarah's mom started dating an abusive guy.) She never had to worry about him coming in her room again, but she said she regularly had to collect the dolls from other parts of the house.

I still don't know what to believe, but they creep me out forever now.
nope.gif

Reactions: 7 users

Have you ever see any repeats of an old TV show named "The Twilight Zone?"

On one episode, there was a hideous, homicidal doll named "Talking Tina."

Shudder!

Reactions: 4 users
I've yet to meet someone who actually likes dolls (beyond the Mattel variety).

My grandmother used to handmake porcelain dolls as a hobby. Like pour the porcelain into molds, paint the facial features, etc. They weren't that creepy, although the climate controlled storage shed she and grandpa made them in (affectionately called the 'doll house') did have random doll parts like arms and heads laying on shelves and I guess if I was four years old that might have been creepy. They look fairly realistic and she hand sewed them all custom outfits as well. All of us grandchildren have one, and she's got about 6-8 still at her house. Mine is in storage, but I plan to take it when I finish residency. It's more of a special keepsake because she made it than anything though. I was never into even toy dolls as a kid. (Animals all the way).

After the doll phase grandma moved into quilting and grandpa started woodworking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have you ever see any repeats of an old TV show named "The Twilight Zone?"

On one episode, there was a hideous, homicidal doll named "Talking Tina."

Shudder!
Omg. So me being a Disney freak (mostly just the parks, but anyways...), this reminded me of how there's actually a reference to this doll (or maybe the actual prop, not sure) in the Paris and Anaheim parks' Tower of Terror rides. There's also the talking ventriloquist dummy at the end of the ride in Orlando, which is legit terrifying if you happen to be in the ridecar that passes by it. I can't even make eye contact with it :rofl:

I meant to post this here before it aired but there is a show called "The Zoo" about the Bronx Zoo and my old advisor was on it. She collected/grew/transferred Bison embryos into 6 of their research herd and last I heard 3 were pregnant. (We have already had some born at the zoo and had calves born at the research herd in CO too... but this was on TV!)
My friends record this show for me. I'll get to watch it Wednesday! :D

I can't make myself touch, taste, or smell mayonnaise or mustard. My family considers it a phobia. I can't even touch the bottles.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't make myself touch, taste, or smell mayonnaise or mustard. My family considers it a phobia. I can't even touch the bottles.
I'm the exact same way about ketchup and most condiments. I used to abhor mustard and mayo too, but now I can handle them in certain situations (like where they aren't prominently featured in the dish).

I get claustrophobic, but not in a small spaces way. I'm actually ok with small spaces. I'm more claustrophobic if people crowd around me and I don't have a way out. It doesn't even have to be a lot of people, 2-3 people too close to me and I need to get away. Heck, one person getting too close when talking can be enough, especially if I'm stuck in a corner and can't back up to put some space between us.

I get claustrophobic, but not in a small spaces way. I'm actually ok with small spaces. I'm more claustrophobic if people crowd around me and I don't have a way out. It doesn't even have to be a lot of people, 2-3 people too close to me and I need to get away. Heck, one person getting too close when talking can be enough, especially if I'm stuck in a corner and can't back up to put some space between us.
I also have this...it's the main reason why I pretty much never go out to bars, concerts, etc. I also am not a fan of small spaces. Getting an MRI was a really bad experience

I'm like this with pickles & mustard. I won't touch either and the smell repulses me.

Agreed. I can't even have pickles on my plate...pickle juice seeps into other foods and leaves behind that disgusting pickle taste.

In a somewhat related idea.... are pickles a fruit or vegetable. I say they have to be a fruit since they are just a cucumber that had been through a pickling process.

Agreed. I can't even have pickles on my plate...pickle juice seeps into other foods and leaves behind that disgusting pickle taste.

In a somewhat related idea.... are pickles a fruit or vegetable. I say they have to be a fruit since they are just a cucumber that had been through a pickling process.
When I order at a restaurant and I think they might put a pickle on my plate, I specify "and no pickle anywhere near my plate" I know once they forgot, but the waitress must have taken it off before bringing my plate out because the french fries in that corner had a distinct nasty pickle taste.

When I was younger I was pretty much emetophobic...REALLY hated (human) vomit. Absolutely couldn't stand the sound/look/smell, and if any kid puked in class, I'd avoid them for a week in fear that they'd do it again (there was at least one occasion where I was sitting next to a classmate and jumped up right as they hurled all over the desks). When sick myself, I also try my hardest to "hold it back" and avoid throwing up as long as possible (I mean...it's one of the worst feelings!) But I noticed I've gotten better with it as I grew older...still repulsive to -see- it, but I no longer have that "oh no someone's going to puke, I gotta get out of here!" paranoia.

As a kid I was also really afraid of the idea of tornadoes and house fires (traumatized by the fire alarm going off, and back then I lived in central TX where there were a lot more tornado warnings than there ever will be down here). Now I don't even think about those things...my only real phobias are the intangible kinds of stuff/events. I guess human hospitals make me uneasy sometimes? (i think the general theme here is humans=nasty)

I'm with Trilt and Lupin, I even drink pickle juice lmao (since I was a kid! despite my mom's protests as a dental professional :p)

When I order at a restaurant and I think they might put a pickle on my plate, I specify "and no pickle anywhere near my plate" I know once they forgot, but the waitress must have taken it off before bringing my plate out because the french fries in that corner had a distinct nasty pickle taste.

I do the same thing! No pickles, anywhere. And I've also disappointingly tasted that pickle taste after they forgot and put it on, then just removed it... so gross.

When I was younger I was pretty much emetophobic...REALLY hated (human) vomit. Absolutely couldn't stand the sound/look/smell, and if any kid puked in class, I'd avoid them for a week in fear that they'd do it again (there was at least one occasion where I was sitting next to a classmate and jumped up right as they hurled all over the desks). When sick myself, I also try my hardest to "hold it back" and avoid throwing up as long as possible (I mean...it's one of the worst feelings!) But I noticed I've gotten better with it as I grew older...still repulsive to -see- it, but I no longer have that "oh no someone's going to puke, I gotta get out of here!" paranoia.

As a kid I was also really afraid of the idea of tornadoes and house fires (traumatized by the fire alarm going off, and back then I lived in central TX where there were a lot more tornado warnings than there ever will be down here). Now I don't even think about those things...my only real phobias are the intangible kinds of stuff/events. I guess human hospitals make me uneasy sometimes? (i think the general theme here is humans=nasty)

I'm with Trilt and Lupin, I even drink pickle juice lmao (since I was a kid! despite my mom's protests as a dental professional :p)
You wouldn't have liked me as a kid, I puked if I felt sick, if I was startled, if I laughed too hard, if I was too sad, if I was angry or upset... I pretty much just puked at the drop of a hat. I don't mind puking at all and also, as a weird aside, I can puke on command, which is not a skill that is even remotely useful or healthy.

You wouldn't have liked me as a kid, I puked if I felt sick, if I was startled, if I laughed too hard, if I was too sad, if I was angry or upset... I pretty much just puked at the drop of a hat. I don't mind puking at all and also, as a weird aside, I can puke on command, which is not a skill that is even remotely useful or healthy.
meathead, no!

Why are you no longer Lizard Kween

That's a top five defense mechanism though

Reactions: 3 users
Basically how my younger bro was at the time (when he was like a toddler-young kid)...how many times did my sister and I have to be trapped in the car with him puking :sour:

meathead, no!

That's a top five defense mechanism though
My childhood looked a lot like this:
NztrG1.gif

Also once I did puke on a lady's car on purpose while we were driving past her, but she definitely deserved it so I don't feel bad about it.

Last edited:

We recently had a lecture about anti-emetics, which discussed emesis a lot, and I was nauseous for most of the lecture and was close to puking at the end. I have a very sensitive tummy, but I will fight it back with all I can. Other people say they feel better after puking, not me, I puke and I am done for the day.

My childhood looked a lot like this:

Also once I did puke on a lady's car on purpose while we were driving past her, but she definitely deserved it so I don't feel bad about it.
Why?! Why?! Why with that image? And it's right at the top of the page. Make it go away! Put it under a spoiler button please!

Why?! Why?! Why with that image? And it's right at the top of the page. Make it go away! Put it under a spoiler button please!
lmao y'all weren't kidding when you were talking about being scared of puking

Much like a cat, I do that stuff in about a minute and then go on with my day

lmao y'all weren't kidding when you were talking about being scared of puking

Much like a cat, I do that stuff in about a minute and then go on with my day

Most normal people don't just puke and go about the rest of the day like it's no big deal, you're just a weird one.... ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Most normal people don't just puke and go about the rest of the day like it's no big deal, you're just a weird one.... ;)
Getting used to it was necessary! If I laid down for the rest of the day every time I puked I would probably still be out of commission since I did it so much :p

Yeah puking is one of the worst things...do not like, do not like at all. And most of the time when I puke in recent years it's not from something that is relieved by the puking itself. So I still feel like crap afterwards.

Yeah puking is one of the worst things...do not like, do not like at all. And most of the time when I puke in recent years it's not from something that is relieved by the puking itself. So I still feel like crap afterwards.
I had the worst stomach bug over winter break, I feel you. I never get GI issues beyond my lactose intolerance, so the fact that I hadn't vomited since I was a kid made me feel more miserable. It was also about two days after my immensely painful shoulder surgery, and I can now confirm that heaving requires the involuntary shrugging of your shoulders. To top it off, anytime I had to run to the bathroom, it was a double whammy situation made far more difficult by the fact that I had to puke into a stupid tiny bathroom waste basket that I held with one arm.

Also, anytime I came back from the bathroom, my dog had stolen my spot on my bed. It is kinda funny looking back, but yeah I felt no better after puking. I felt worse

I absolutely, positively hate to throw up, and hate to be nauseated. for those of ya'll that also hate this state, word to the wise: do not have CHEMO! pretty sure I was going to die on Monday. "o, side effects include nausea" like that needed to be in CAPITAL LETTERS and underlined. twice. in red. not just lightly skipped over. O, the meds to help combat it? uh, no, not really. they just put me to sleep. wake up, just as bad. yuck, yuck yuck.

Perfect timing on this conversation. Haven't puked in years, woke up last night with the most horrible stomach upset ever. A coworker brought me zofran and I still feel nauseous and hurting. I now understand why colicking horses throw themselves on the ground in agony. Ugh.

Reactions: 8 users
I absolutely, positively hate to throw up, and hate to be nauseated. for those of ya'll that also hate this state, word to the wise: do not have CHEMO! pretty sure I was going to die on Monday. "o, side effects include nausea" like that needed to be in CAPITAL LETTERS and underlined. twice. in red. not just lightly skipped over. O, the meds to help combat it? uh, no, not really. they just put me to sleep. wake up, just as bad. yuck, yuck yuck.
I didn't know you were undergoing chemo. I hope you feel better ... and please know that I'm sending you my kindest wishes. :cat:

Last time I threw up was in October of 2015. I was in an exam room at an urgent care center. I, unbeknownst at the time, had my first kidney stone. It was very awkward as the doctor, the nurse, and the medical resident were all watching me.

I ordered a shiatsu massage pillow on a whim this past weekend. It showed up today. I'm hoping this thing is really useful when I inevitably sprang or pull something.

I also love that there is a major Amazon distribution center in central Ohio so I don't have to wait very long for my impulse purchases.

It's snowing outside. This is not a drill. It is snowing. I have to drive in this wonderful, fluffy white stuff.