Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just inherited a partially complete turkey vulture skeleton to put together. Should be challenging yet fun. I think my biggest hurdle is working with superglue...I usually find myself adhered to my work surface at some point. It's going to be big once finished...I'm terrified of transporting it during my move!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I just inherited a partially complete turkey vulture skeleton to put together. Should be challenging yet fun. I think my biggest hurdle is working with superglue...I usually find myself adhered to my work surface at some point. It's going to be big once finished...I'm terrified of transporting it during my move!
17103378_10155031061918006_568739306527240825_n.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If re-articulating skeletons is something you'd like to do again, maybe you should invest in a decent dremel, some small drill bits, and some wire. It might make moving specimens a little less stressful.

Reactions: 1 user
If re-articulating skeletons is something you'd like to do again, maybe you should invest in a decent dremel, some small drill bits, and some wire. It might make moving specimens a little less stressful.
I do have a bit of wire and I'm working with our anatomy lab boss on this, but basically I have to build it before we figure out where exactly we need wire. At least that's my understanding, as I'm being thrown into this after about 1/4 of it has been done. As least the vertebrae stayed articulated after the flesh eating beetles spent time with the carcass because that would have been awful to articulate.

How would you use the dremel? This specimen has some neoplastic-looking bone abnormalities but I'm not sure I want to risk destroying the humerus in order to clean that up.

Also, the fact that it's a bird is annoying. The bones are so light that it's hard to get them to stay in one place and their anatomy is screwy. Good learning opportunity, I suppose

How would you use the dremel? This specimen has some neoplastic-looking bone abnormalities but I'm not sure I want to risk destroying the humerus in order to clean that up.

It's basically a tiny motor with a spinning end. You can use tiny saw blades, sanding bits, engraving bits, and, most important, drill bits with it - really tiny ones that you can put small holes into a bone and wire it together. It's not a powerful motor so you don't get the same kick like you do with a bigger hand drill. It's definitely a small crafting type tool that you can use to do delicate detail work and since you hold it like a pencil you have greater manual control. It's also not horribly expensive. I've seen ones at Walmart for under $40 and like a whole dremel kit with 50+ bits at Lowe's and Home Depot for under $80.

It's also sometimes a veterinary tool apparently (like to file down overgrown molars in rabbits). I learned that last year at a conference.

It's basically a tiny motor with a spinning end. You can use tiny saw blades, sanding bits, engraving bits, and, most important, drill bits with it - really tiny ones that you can put small holes into a bone and wire it together. It's not a powerful motor so you don't get the same kick like you do with a bigger hand drill. It's definitely a small crafting type tool that you can use to do delicate detail work and since you hold it like a pencil you have greater manual control. It's also not horribly expensive. I've seen ones at Walmart for under $40 and like a whole dremel kit with 50+ bits at Lowe's and Home Depot for under $80.

It's also sometimes a veterinary tool apparently (like to file down overgrown molars in rabbits). I learned that last year at a conference.
Oh I see. I knew what it was but I didn't think about making holes for the wires...this is obviously my first time doing a skeleton! I'll ask our anatomy people if they might have one I can borrow.

It's often used with different attachments to file nails down too! Something you can offer in addition to the nail trim to smooth the edges.

Reactions: 1 users
It's often used with different attachments to file nails down too! Something you can offer in addition to the nail trim to smooth the edges.
We use a dremel to file down our piggie's hooves during hoof trims!

I love dremels for dogs nails! I do my own dogs nails and we use the dremel quite extensively at my job. Once clients see how smooth their dogs nails are after one time, they usually always want it done every time they come!

I love dremels for dogs nails! I do my own dogs nails and we use the dremel quite extensively at my job. Once clients see how smooth their dogs nails are after one time, they usually always want it done every time they come!
I kind of hate it. Takes longer, the dogs that don't like having their nails done in the first place tend to freak out with the dremel.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is nonsense, you can only get nails clipped when the dog is at an emergency clinic and dying when they bring it in.

"Please put all this blood back into his body! Also, can you trim his nails?"

Reactions: 12 users
I kind of hate it. Takes longer, the dogs that don't like having their nails done in the first place tend to freak out with the dremel.
This is very true. It definitely sucks when you get those dogs that don't like their nails done to begin with. And then we have a few clients who want their cats nails dremeled.... if only all the dogs liked it! In a perfect world :laugh:

We only use the dremel for the "modified pedicures" - aka the under anesthesia clip them super short and use lots of qwik-stop type trims. I did that with my dog during her dental last year and I'm thinking of doing it again because she frrrreeeeeaaks out for nail trims, and it lasted from October to now so that's not too bad. I wish she didn't hate it so much.

This is nonsense, you can only get nails clipped when the dog is at an emergency clinic and dying when they bring it in.

You forgot the "how dare you charge so much to save his life!" statement. I mean, the least we can do for all that $$$$ is trim those nails right?

Actually - in ICU, nail trimmers are virtually only used to clip clamps off of fluid lines for blocked cat bags. I went to pharmacy to get a new pair last week when ours were missing, and they gave me a different kind and I was like uh no I need the orange ones because we don't actually use them to trim nails like this pair is designed.

In my first job as a tech, we used them a lot and found many patients that you couldn't use the regular clippers on, would let you dremel, including quite a few min pins and pugs. But we often didn't figure this out until after they had peed and analysis glanded all over at least one tech. It seemed to be something about really thick nails with long quick and being treated like a royal princess whose little toes must never touch hard ground.

We also trimmed a lot of bird nails and beaks with them.

Finally saw Moana yesterday! Was super adorable as Disney always is :D

Reactions: 10 users

My friend told me a story of one time a vet was doing an ex lap and had the body open and all and the ditsy tech decided that THAT was the best time to clip toenails, and cut toenails are just flying around the body.

So it's totally possible to do both. :smack:

My friend told me a story of one time a vet was doing an ex lap and had the body open and all and the ditsy tech decided that THAT was the best time to clip toenails, and cut toenails are just flying around the body.

So it's totally possible to do both. :smack:
Haha well then. We did clip a lot of nails while animals were under, but usually it was either before we shaved/prepped them or while we were monitoring them during recovery. Can't say we ever tried to do it in the middle of a surgery because I'm pretty sure our vet knows how to light people on fire with her eyes and she would have killed us. :p

Oooh! I love skeletons and am trying to collect/clean bones, but articulating a full skeleton sounds hard. So far I've only cleaned some skulls and miscellaneous bones...one skull + wishbone from a guineafowl that died, some from an opossum, big antler I collected a few months ago...had found a perfect, clean rat skull but I lost it. My program director used to work for the birmingham zoo, I envy his collection of exotic skulls around our classroom.

Oooh! I love skeletons and am trying to collect/clean bones, but articulating a full skeleton sounds hard. So far I've only cleaned some skulls and miscellaneous bones...one skull + wishbone from a guineafowl that died, some from an opossum, big antler I collected a few months ago...had found a perfect, clean rat skull but I lost it. My program director used to work for the birmingham zoo, I envy his collection of exotic skulls around our classroom.
Honest question-do you have a salvaging permit for that? It's my understanding you have to have a permit to keep things you find, but I'm sure it's a state-by-state thing. I've been meaning to look into it more because I can easily see skeletons become a hobby of mine.

This skeleton is a bit easier since it was a deceased patient from the wildlife clinic, so we have the full skeleton. We also used flesh eating beetles to clean it, and they left many ligaments intact eliminating some work (I don't even have to put the spine together, thankfully).

Honest question-do you have a salvaging permit for that? It's my understanding you have to have a permit to keep things you find, but I'm sure it's a state-by-state thing. I've been meaning to look into it more because I can easily see skeletons become a hobby of mine.

This skeleton is a bit easier since it was a deceased patient from the wildlife clinic, so we have the full skeleton. We also used flesh eating beetles to clean it, and they left many ligaments intact eliminating some work (I don't even have to put the spine together, thankfully).

@Devastating I'm pretty sure it's federal for everything, and definitely is for birds (except pigeons, house sparrows, and European starlings). It's something you're unlikely to get in trouble for, but it can be serious if you do. If you're sub-permitted under anyone (like a wildlife rehabber with rehab/salvage/education/etc. permits) that person can lose all their permits if you're caught, even if whatever you have is unrelated to their work.

No judgment here- I'm just agreeing with pinkpuppy that it's a good idea to look into permits and legal issues.

@Devastating I'm pretty sure it's federal for everything, and definitely is for birds (except pigeons, house sparrows, and European starlings). It's something you're unlikely to get in trouble for, but it can be serious if you do. If you're sub-permitted under anyone (like a wildlife rehabber with rehab/salvage/education/etc. permits) that person can lose all their permits if you're caught, even if whatever you have is unrelated to their work.

No judgment here- I'm just agreeing with pinkpuppy that it's a good idea to look into permits and legal issues.
Oh yeah, I don't mean to advocate salvaging illegal specimens! I've read a lot information from various bone cleaning and "vulture culture" resources, including regulations regarding wildlife remains. I am familiar with the MBTA and don't collect/possess any parts from bird species other than the obviously non-native (various parrot and Eurasian Eagle Owl feathers from my internship last summer, my guinea's bones, chickens, etc.). AFAIK most of the federal regulations apply to trade, particularly the taking of fur/hide without a license and anything from protected species (do not plan on dealing with any of these things), and Texas is one of the states in which it is illegal to collect roadkill.

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah bird related laws in particular and wildlife laws in general get funky quickly. A related problem to that is many of those laws don't require the typical establishment of mens rea required by many criminal laws. Plus the fact that many of those laws follow strict liability means that it's very easy to get in trouble under them.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to advocate salvaging illegal specimens! I've read a lot information from various bone cleaning and "vulture culture" resources, including regulations regarding wildlife remains. I am familiar with the MBTA and don't collect/possess any parts from bird species other than the obviously non-native (various parrot and Eurasian Eagle Owl feathers from my internship last summer, my guinea's bones, chickens, etc.). AFAIK most of the federal regulations apply to trade, particularly the taking of fur/hide without a license and anything from protected species (do not plan on dealing with any of these things), and Texas is one of the states in which it is illegal to collect roadkill.

Oops, that is correct. I was wrong!

Yeah bird related laws in particular and wildlife laws in general get funky quickly. A related problem to that is many of those laws don't require the typical establishment of mens rea required by many criminal laws. Plus the fact that many of those laws follow strict liability means that it's very easy to get in trouble under them.

Yup. Bird law in this country is not governed by reason.

Bird disposal laws are fun. :rolleyes:

We're supposed to get 18-24" of snow tomorrow... my rotation took pity on me and said to stay home because I'm not from around here and don't know how to drive in it lol. My first snow day ever!

Reactions: 4 users
We're supposed to get 18-24" of snow tomorrow... my rotation took pity on me and said to stay home because I'm not from around here and don't know how to drive in it lol. My first snow day ever!
That's definitely not what I'd like for my first snow driving experience, so it's good they let you have the day off

Lol seriously. God forbid you take a skeleton/parts you find hiking, but you can keep up to four 'pet' Eastern box turtles with a fishing license :rolleyes:

So I got part of my first tattoo. I say part because my damn hypotension kicked in about halfway through and I nearly fainted. I'm going back in a few weeks to finish it.

That's definitely not what I'd like for my first snow driving experience, so it's good they let you have the day off
Yeah, it's very nice that they're doing that :) The department isn't shutting down, but they will be a bare bones staff... and I doubt many people will be racing in to get a CT first thing tomorrow morning so that means I get to go play in the snow!

Yeah, it's very nice that they're doing that :) The department isn't shutting down, but they will be a bare bones staff... and I doubt many people will be racing in to get a CT first thing tomorrow morning so that means I get to go play in the snow!
Yeah, you should probably practice snow driving on something a little easier. :laugh: Maybe ask the folks at your work what their tips are when you do come in for work.

Also make a snowman!

Reactions: 2 users
When I go on a walkabout in the morning, I often see these birds with their two baby birds (see photo below).

Does anyone know the proper "bird name" of this family of birds?

Which bird is the mother? Which bird is the father? Can you tell?

birds (March 2017).jpg

Last edited:
When I go on a walkabout in the morning, I often see these birds with their two baby birds (see photo below).

View attachment 216504

Interesting, and what a nice photo!

I'm not familiar with those birds, but google leads me to believe they're Egyptian geese (which aren't actually geese, but shelducks). They're not native to the US, but there are feral populations.

Those are a bit darker than most of what I'm seeing online, but there are different color variants. If they have a brown chest patch, that's almost certainly right.

Here's a photo that looks a bit like yours:

As for male vs. female, the male will be a little larger. Hard to tell!

Interesting, and what a nice photo!

I'm not familiar with those birds, but google leads me to believe they're Egyptian geese (which aren't actually geese, but shelducks). They're not native to the US, but there are feral populations.

Those are a bit darker than most of what I'm seeing online, but there are different color variants. If they have a brown chest patch, that's almost certainly right.

Here's a photo that looks a bit like yours:

As for male vs. female, the male will be a little larger. Hard to tell!
@TrashPanda thank you very much for identifying this bird. :)

View attachment 216504
omg those birdlets are so cute! I miss raising/releasing mallard ducklings so much

omg those birdlets are so cute! I miss raising/releasing mallard ducklings so much
@pinkpuppy9 those birdlets are growing quickly. Just a week ago, they were pretty small. I've been seeing a lot of mallard ducklings and goslings, too.

@jmo1012 these are great ideas. I never knew so many creative meals could be made by using crushed chips. Many of those recipes would work well at parties and be very unique - thank you! :cat:
just tell everyone when you bring these recipes to wherever that they are cat-inspired ;)

just tell everyone when you bring these recipes to wherever that they are cat-inspired ;)
@dyachei true and funny! :cat:

I'll add to that: inspired by cats and by people in veterinary medicine who-know-about-these-crazy-cat-inspired things!

potatochipcat.jpg