Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the mantle from the A-man, and full speed ahead with the new and improved random un-MCAT thread version 2.0.

Members don't see this ad.

scentimint said:
Right, gotcha. I have 6 letters on file, and I'm pretty sure that all of them commented on my personal traits and qualities, but they might have also commented on scientific ability. I guess I'll talk to my pre-med office to find out what they suggest...I really don't want to ask for more letters unless I have to...that's why I requested so many to begin with!
You should call their admissions office and ask, scent. I know that for the straight MD program, we needed a PEER letter. It was pretty silly, IMO, but that's what they wanted. (I got one of my former students who is now in med school to write mine for me; turn about is fair play. :D) Anyway, it's better to be neurotic and do the correct thing instead of being polite and doing the wrong thing, so I'd double check if I were you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
You should call their admissions office and ask, scent. I know that for the straight MD program, we needed a PEER letter. It was pretty silly, IMO, but that's what they wanted. (I got one of my former students who is now in med school to write mine for me; turn about is fair play. :D) Anyway, it's better to be neurotic and do the correct thing instead of being polite and doing the wrong thing, so I'd double check if I were you. :)
Good call...I e-mailed but I think I will also call to double check. I have no problem being neurotic! :p

scentimint said:
Good call...I e-mailed but I think I will also call to double check. I have no problem being neurotic! :p
They're really nice; I promise they won't mind. All the admissions people at USF are super nice; it's not just REL. :)

QofQuimica said:
They're really nice; I promise they won't mind. All the admissions people at USF are super nice; it's not just REL. :)
good to know.

beary, what happened? did your pager explode? :eek:

Q: I called USF, but they had an extended message saying "Due to high call volume, please e-mail us instead...we usually respond to your e-mail within one business day..."

So I think I'll wait to see if they respond to my e-mail sometime today or tomorrow, and if not, then I'll call back.

Interesting news out there today...first the 7th N. Korea missle, the shuttle...now Ken Lay is dead.

Also, Joe Lieberman is going to run on the Independent ticket if he fails to win the primary...but Clinton isn't going to back him. Shumer will however....not that he pulls the same weight.

But, for this group...the most important news of the day comes from the scoop: Paris Hilton wants to be a mom..."soon." WTF?

TypeA said:
Interesting news out there today...first the 7th N. Korea missle, the shuttle...now Ken Lay is dead.

Also, Joe Lieberman is going to run on the Independent ticket if he fails to win the primary...but Clinton isn't going to back him. Shumer will however....not that he pulls the same weight.

But, for this group...the most important news of the day comes from the scoop: Paris Hilton wants to be a mom..."soon." WTF?
omg, paris hilton as mom?!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nikki2002 said:
i'm here and i'm ready
hey drill sargent...you call those pushups?? :p

how the f* do you spell sargeant? sargent?

oh, thanks dictionary.com...it's sergeant. it looks so weird though!

scentimint said:
omg, paris hilton as mom?!?!

S&M,

Do you want me to send you the list of the 5 people good to know at USF admissions office??? I have their emails and descriptions of who they are to USF medical school in terms of position and importance in adcom.

Let me know and I'll forward to you what I've been forwarding to others.

TypeA said:
Damn! Now THAT'S a post!

Its a pity SDN puts limits on the number of emoticons we could use, otherwise we could steal Severus's idea of creating a story using emoticons to full fill our 10k posts.

gujuDoc said:
S7M,

Do you want me to send you the list of the 5 people good to know at USF admissions office??? I have their emails and descriptions of who they are to USF medical school in terms of position and importance in adcom.

Let me know and I'll forward to you what I've been forwarding to others.
Sure, that sounds great! :)

scentimint said:
hey, mr. T! did you submit your application yet?

Heck no.........still working on the three essays :oops: not to mention I haven't filled out the 15 activities section at all.

Teerawit said:
Heck no.........still working on the three essays :oops: not to mention I haven't filled out the 15 activities section at all.
yea, the activities took a while for me...i couldn't decide how much to write about each one.

as for the research essay...i wrote the whole thing and was ready to submit when I realized they changed the text from what it had originally said...I had to reformat to include my advisors' names and affiliations and then I was over the character limit! got it all figured out eventually, though. :)

scentimint said:
yea, the activities took a while for me...i couldn't decide how much to write about each one.

as for the research essay...i wrote the whole thing and was ready to submit when I realized they changed the text from what it had originally said...I had to reformat to include my advisors' names and affiliations and then I was over the character limit! got it all figured out eventually, though. :)

I see. Thanks for the heads up!

Anastasis said:
Popping in to say hi on my "lunch break" - hope everyone is having a great day!

(Pemberley: Now that July is here maybe we'll start getting Texas school interviews! :clap: :clap:)

I do hope so! If Baylor and UTHSCSA only had really early decisions come through, I could drop (or keep, if things went badly) 5-10 other schools on my list! And some of them are just killing me with the secondary essays... why couldn't I get the "secondary is just an excuse for extortion" schools?