Questions about Scholl College

• Thread starter The Real Scholl
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With all the ominous stories about there being more podiatry students graduating then there are residency spots available, I am looking for a school that won’t leave me in the dust after graduation to rot in debt with no job. I know that anyone can successful at any of the schools if they apply themselves and are great students, but I am curious to hear about residency placements for all of the schools.

How many 3 yr surgical residencies were placed last year from Scholl? Is Scholl known for placing more surgical residencies than other programs?

I also want to know if it is realistic to think that I would have a good chance of placing in a 3 yr surgical residency after going to Scholl and being a good student with good social skills?

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

All residencies now are surgical residencies, hence the designation PM&S (podiatric medicine and surgery) 36months.

I don't attend Scholl, but I would like to chime in.

Yes, You can be successful at any school -- the question is -- 1,2, 3, 4 years from now, will there be a shortage that affects good students, possibly how its looking now... If the APMA, CPME, or schools tell you there won't be, they are lying. Schools are notorious for skewing the numbers, or fluffy talk that everyone will match, there will be no shortage. There is a HUGE responsibility on you to make sure you match, no matter what anyone tells you; but right now there is no guarantee that there will be enough spots in the coming years.

Last year, I think 7 or 8 students at Temple did not match, some because of serious academic problems.

I can't speak regarding other schools, but the numbers as of now they (APMA & CPME) are projecting are 70+ graduates this year will go unmatched. That includes 30 something from the class of 2011, and 40+ something from last year. Thats about 14% of the the graduating podiatrists, almost the size of one entire graduating class depending on what school we are speaking about.

Next year, it is projected to get worse. Guaranteeing that there will be A spot (but not necessarily that you will be placed) is something I would discuss thoroughly with the admissions committee.

With all the ominous stories about there being more podiatry students graduating then there are residency spots available, I am looking for a school that won’t leave me in the dust after graduation to rot in debt with no job. I know that anyone can successful at any of the schools if they apply themselves and are great students, but I am curious to hear about residency placements for all of the schools.

How many 3 yr surgical residencies were placed last year from Scholl? Is Scholl known for placing more surgical residencies than other programs?

I also want to know if it is realistic to think that I would have a good chance of placing in a 3 yr surgical residency after going to Scholl and being a good student with good social skills?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Nole Chief Chad,

Great question... and to some degree I have to also agree with some of malleolusman's comments, too. There will be students who will not get residencies next year... either due to poor academics, inability to pass boards or lack of social skills in the interview. Let's face it, like any job market, when you are one of many acceptable candidates, the employer (i.e. residency director) is going to look for soft skills like fit, personality and social skills (all other things being equal). I posted quite a bit about residency and residency placement; if you can't find it in a search, let me know.

So, if you just want to play the numbers game (and assume that your personality sparkles above all others!), then last year Scholl placed just over 80% of our graduating class into PM&S 36 programs. All residencies are surgical, so, even the remaining 20% were placed into surgical PM&S 24 programs. We had one student opt out and withdraw from the match process despite being qualified and eligible.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't allieviate your fears - however, if you look at class sized nationally after the graduating class of 2011, you'll actually see that we're a smaller group as a whole - despite the addition of a new school - and therefore the classes of 2012 and higher won't have as large of an issue to deal with (once the residual of 2011 is resolved).

It also saddens me to say that SCPM will be shrinking its class size in 2012 should residency forcasting continue to be an issue... that means fewer seats for qualified students. I hope it doesn't come to that, but we're prepared to be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Let me know if you still have any questions. And, good luck researching the profession!

Best
TRS

Members don't see this ad :)
Mandy,

Thanks so much for spending time to answer our questions. I just wanted to ask you about one thing concerning research. I've been doing research for 2 years with a Neuroscience Professor in my undergrad and have received credit during each semester. My question is will those credits I've received be counted toward my BCPM GPA or will they just go toward my overall GPA? Thanks again!

Hi Mandy,

Can you direct me to right direction?

I am preparing for Podiatry school for fall 2011. My cgpa is on the edge of most school cut offs. I am planing to take Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology and Genetics courses in winter quarter. I hold bachelor degree from local university.Taking those classes at my university as a non matriculated student is super expensive. Its like ~$500/ unit credit. Since I am not seeking second bachelor degree I m not eligible for loans or any temporary financial assistance. Is it ok to take those classes at community college? Do pod school care if I took upper division classes at community college than university?

Thanks!

Mandy,

Thanks so much for spending time to answer our questions. I just wanted to ask you about one thing concerning research. I've been doing research for 2 years with a Neuroscience Professor in my undergrad and have received credit during each semester. My question is will those credits I've received be counted toward my BCPM GPA or will they just go toward my overall GPA? Thanks again!

Hi baseball1986,

Great question... and, unfortunately, I can't tell you with what you've provided me. BUT.. if you go to the AACPMAS website and click on the FAQ/Course Subjects you can use the look up table to find the answer.

If, on your transcripts, your research project has a course pre-fix (the course prefix being BIO 123 or CHEM 123) that matches one of the courses under any of the headings BCPM or other science, then you may list it as a BCPM. If the prefix isn't one of those listed, then, no, you may not.

Hope that helps!

Hi Mandy,

Can you direct me to right direction?

I am preparing for Podiatry school for fall 2011. My cgpa is on the edge of most school cut offs. I am planing to take Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology and Genetics courses in winter quarter. I hold bachelor degree from local university.Taking those classes at my university as a non matriculated student is super expensive. Its like ~$500/ unit credit. Since I am not seeking second bachelor degree I m not eligible for loans or any temporary financial assistance. Is it ok to take those classes at community college? Do pod school care if I took upper division classes at community college than university?

Thanks!

Hi Spiral 33,

I have mixed feelings about telling students to attend their local CC... and you can see the various reasons in my post to SN3 below. Yes, we will take them... so long as the CC is regionally accredited (most are). If we suspect that your reason is more to boost your GPA, then we might call you out on it in an interview setting... so you might think to address this in your personal statment up front.

Let me know if you have any questions after you read this.. or if you want to give me a little more detail about your sitation, I might be able to give you a better answer.

Good luck in the application process.
TRS

Hi SN3,

Thanks for a great question!

There are a few questions I think you should be asking yourself before you decide to attend a CC to finish your remaining pre-requisites. First, is your overall GPA competitive? How about your sGPA? If you are struggling in the university level sciences, it may look as if you are “boosting” your GPA by attending CC to take what some universities call a “weed out” class. (I’ve skirted this issue before in this thread… and I know that physics is physics and I am probably one of the biggest CC proponents, but I want to give you information to make you competitive for Scholl College!).

Another question you need to ask yourself is: how many schools have I transferred to/from in my undergraduate career? One new trend we are noticing in applicants is multiple transfers… and in some cases, it appears as tho every time things got a little rough or challenging they transferred; taking CC classes may appear as tho they are looking for a easier route, again. These are not the kinds of questions you want to spend precious interview time answering about your academic background.

So, take some time to evaluate your situation before opting for the CC physics classes. If none of the aforementioned topics apply to you, it likely won’t hurt your application at Scholl College!

Also, you’ll need to contact the other pod colleges you are applying to next fall; each of us has different policies and opinions about CC work!

Good luck!
Mandy

To the real scholl,

I was recently dismissed from a US DO school for academic reasons, would I be considered for the DPM program at this school?

To the real scholl,

I was recently dismissed from a US DO school for academic reasons, would I be considered for the DPM program at this school?

Well, I'll be honest. It really depends on what your story is... if the academic dismissal was due to some valid reason (medical, illness, death of a family member or other unforseeable incident), then it's possible that we would entertain your application. It also helps if, after the dismissal, that you addressed whatever the issue was... (sought medical attention, recovered from illness, sought counseling to rebound from the unforseeable incident, etc) and can show (not just say, but show) us how you've changed/learned/grown as a person.

If there was no other reason for your academic dismissal - other than you just had a bad semester/year - then my best suggestion is to take post-bac type of science course work to show the AC that you've taken steps to increase your scientific knowlege and background before attempting professional school again.

Does that help? Let me know if you have any other questions!
TRS

Hi Real Scholl

I was reading through the forum and I came accross this post:

"Now, I will say this: If there is a reason you need to be in Chicago for your studies, you are most welcome to write an additional letter for your application that is detailed and specific to your reasons for wanting/needing to be at Scholl (family, spouse, whatever). You may address this letter to the Admissions Commitee and email it to our office or submit it in hard copy. THIS IS NOT REQUIRED, however. I simply offer it to you or anyone who has a specific need they wish to communicate!"

This was left by you about a year ago. I was just wondering if we (applicants) are still allowed to submit such a letter?

Thanks

Hi Real Scholl

I was reading through the forum and I came accross this post:

"Now, I will say this: If there is a reason you need to be in Chicago for your studies, you are most welcome to write an additional letter for your application that is detailed and specific to your reasons for wanting/needing to be at Scholl (family, spouse, whatever). You may address this letter to the Admissions Commitee and email it to our office or submit it in hard copy. THIS IS NOT REQUIRED, however. I simply offer it to you or anyone who has a specific need they wish to communicate!"

This was left by you about a year ago. I was just wondering if we (applicants) are still allowed to submit such a letter?

Thanks

Ab-so-lutely!

If submitting such a letter, address it to the Admissions Committee and send your communication to:

Rosalind Franklin University
Attn Scholl College Admissions
3333 Green Bay Rd
North Chicago, IL 60064

I'd encourage you to get this letter to us as close to the time of your original application so that our review includes the information presented in your additional application materials. Be specific as possible (giving as much detail as you are comfortable providing) as to why your circumstances require you to be in Chicago to attend professional school.

Please keep in mind, tho... any information provided in this letter can and will be used in your interview, so make sure you are comfortable discussing the material with faculty interviewers (so, for example, if this information is sensitive to you or others, you may not want to share it with us... and just go through the regular process of admissions and see what happens).

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Hi Mandy

I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me.

I was just wondering how Scholl admissions views applicants? My numbers are ok..they are slightly lower than those of the accepted students. I have tons of extracurricular, shadowing and great LORs. Above all, I know i can make a great podiatric physician, despite my struggles and performance in undergrad.

How would someone in my scenario fair in receiving an invite to interview?

Ab-so-lutely!

If submitting such a letter, address it to the Admissions Committee and send your communication to:

Rosalind Franklin University
Attn Scholl College Admissions
3333 Green Bay Rd
North Chicago, IL 60064

I'd encourage you to get this letter to us as close to the time of your original application so that our review includes the information presented in your additional application materials. Be specific as possible (giving as much detail as you are comfortable providing) as to why your circumstances require you to be in Chicago to attend professional school.

Please keep in mind, tho... any information provided in this letter can and will be used in your interview, so make sure you are comfortable discussing the material with faculty interviewers (so, for example, if this information is sensitive to you or others, you may not want to share it with us... and just go through the regular process of admissions and see what happens).

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Hi Mandy

Thanks so much for the quick response. Just wondering though, what I feel is important (as to why I would like to be in Chicago), may not seem important to the admissions committee. For example, if I say that I would like to be here for such and such family reasons, the admissions committee might think its silly. So how would such a letter be looked at if it was submitted? Would it be frowned upon at all? Would it affect my chances of admission in any sort of way?

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Mandy

Thanks so much for the quick response. Just wondering though, what I feel is important (as to why I would like to be in Chicago), may not seem important to the admissions committee. For example, if I say that I would like to be here for such and such family reasons, the admissions committee might think its silly. So how would such a letter be looked at if it was submitted? Would it be frowned upon at all? Would it affect my chances of admission in any sort of way?

Thanks again

Hey again PodMedBound,

"Family" reasons are never silly. Perhaps a family reason is that your spouse needs to be able to find work.. that's a good reason, you have bills to pay! Perhaps your parents are your full time day care for a child.. that's a good reason, too, you need to be able to attend class. Maybe it's cost of living, afforable housing, your undying love of the Chicago Bears (well, maybe not the last one!), but you see my point. Family reasons are just as important as any other reason.

Final thought - if you think the reason is silly (and present it as such) we're going to think it's silly. Paint it in the right light and we'll see the veracity of your reasoning.

Hope that helps.
TRS

Hi Mandy

I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me.

I was just wondering how Scholl admissions views applicants? My numbers are ok..they are slightly lower than those of the accepted students. I have tons of extracurricular, shadowing and great LORs. Above all, I know i can make a great podiatric physician, despite my struggles and performance in undergrad.

How would someone in my scenario fair in receiving an invite to interview?

Hi oceanicF815,

Most of the time, the numbers I post here on this thread are to give you an idea of what the average candidate applies and is accepted with at Scholl College. In some cases, I try to point out what makes a candidate more competitive than another... and, the bottom line is most of the numbers I reference are just that - averages - put into a context that gives you parameters for judging whether or not you have a competitive edge to your application. Average, at least the last time I took stats, were made up of a range of numbers (or, in this case, people!). Some folks have higher GPAs while others have higher MCAT scores. Some have just average scores all the way around, but on paper or in their interview, sparkle with amazing potential.

What I never tell you guys is that we read every application; every personal statement; every letter (and if you have been following, you know I stop reading after about the 6th letter!) and every document you submit to our office... for all 500-600 applicants.

Even if you aren't at the top of your class and your MCAT is "just okay" you'll still have that one chance to shine in your application. Don't waste that chance... find a way to shine so that we can see your amazing potential.

Good luck!
TRS

Note -- just to you all know, RFUMS Office of Admissions will be closed on December 23, 24, 30 and 31 for the holidays; and I'm on vacation for some of that... never fear, tho, I'll be back in 2011 to answer your questions! Mandy

Hi Everyone,

We're also proud to announce that P2 student Nadia Sadeghi will be featured in the APMA's profiles of Today's Podiatrist. Keep watch on my admissions blog for a link to her profile! She's awesome, you'll want to read her story.

It's posted! You can read the press release and article by visiting my blog http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?author=6 or go directly to TodaysPodiatrist.com and see all of the DPMs and future DPMs profiled.

Maybe one day this will be you!
Happy Holidays All
Mandy

Hi mandy,

Just curious but what is a "orthopedic podiatrist"?

is that an orthopedic surgeon who does foot and ankle?

a podiatrist who does foot and ankle surgeries?

Hi mandy,

Just curious but what is a "orthopedic podiatrist"?

is that an orthopedic surgeon who does foot and ankle?

a podiatrist who does foot and ankle surgeries?

I wondered that, too, hematosis. So, I did a little digging into the references of the article. Yes, they are in fact referencing podiatry as the medical specialty in this article. Salaryexpert.com defined Orthopedic Podiatrist as "Diagnose and treat diseases and deformities of the human foot." So.... in other words, a podiatrist. I can't make a judgement as to whether or not they mean a PM&S 24 or 36 trained DPM, however.

I also went to the ABPOPPM's
(American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine) website and did a little bit of reading. They have some good stuff on their website in terms of reading materials, too.

I'm curious if the editorial decision to attach the descriptor "orthopedic" to the specialty "podiatrist" was more for general public consumption - as opposed to those already training in the field!?

TRS

Ahhh, New Year, New Dean and a New Blogger!

That's right! Dr Parsley has joined the RFUpodiatry.com blogosphere! Dr Parsley will be contributing about once a month - sharing with you her vision for the future of the college, the future of the profession and her mission for the college at its helm.

This is also, may I point out, an opportunity to hear it straight from the corner office.. have a question? I'd tell you to ask it directly to her via this blog. Have an opinion - point it out in the comments. Have a great idea.. share it with her!

You can find her January installment by visiting: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?author=10

Enjoy!
Mandy

Hi Nole Chief Chad,

Great question... and to some degree I have to also agree with some of malleolusman's comments, too. There will be students who will not get residencies next year... either due to poor academics, inability to pass boards or lack of social skills in the interview. Let's face it, like any job market, when you are one of many acceptable candidates, the employer (i.e. residency director) is going to look for soft skills like fit, personality and social skills (all other things being equal). I posted quite a bit about residency and residency placement; if you can't find it in a search, let me know.

So, if you just want to play the numbers game (and assume that your personality sparkles above all others!), then last year Scholl placed just over 80% of our graduating class into PM&S 36 programs. All residencies are surgical, so, even the remaining 20% were placed into surgical PM&S 24 programs. We had one student opt out and withdraw from the match process despite being qualified and eligible.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't allieviate your fears - however, if you look at class sized nationally after the graduating class of 2011, you'll actually see that we're a smaller group as a whole - despite the addition of a new school - and therefore the classes of 2012 and higher won't have as large of an issue to deal with (once the residual of 2011 is resolved).

It also saddens me to say that SCPM will be shrinking its class size in 2012 should residency forcasting continue to be an issue... that means fewer seats for qualified students. I hope it doesn't come to that, but we're prepared to be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Let me know if you still have any questions. And, good luck researching the profession!

Best
TRS

Mandy,

Are you saying that we had 80% in PM+S36 and 20% in PM+S24 for the most recent class? So outside of the one student who chose to opt out, our residency placement was basically 100%

Mandy,

Are you saying that we had 80% in PM+S36 and 20% in PM+S24 for the most recent class? So outside of the one student who chose to opt out, our residency placement was basically 100%

Of those eligible, yes, we had nearly 100% placement into programs. Please keep in mind, however, there were a few graduates who (for a variety of reasons) did not meet the AACPM-COTH definition of eligible. I do not know the exact number of students, off the top of my head.

Mandy

Hi Real Scholl,

In terms of the letters of recommendations I sent 6 but the podiatrist I am currently shadowing has not finished his. Will this postpone a possible interview?

Hi,

Can you please tell me is there any scope for 25 years or older student to plan career in med.I want to have do medicine however need to start from begining.i had to work couple of years due to financial situation.
would there be any chance to start the journey.I have finished my school.Also have entry for university.

Hi Real Scholl,

In terms of the letters of recommendations I sent 6 but the podiatrist I am currently shadowing has not finished his. Will this postpone a possible interview?

Hi jdog410,

Likely, no. If you have met all of our other requirement and there are no "red flags" you'll likely be okay. The one "required" piece of the application that we are willing to waive in terms of the interview is the letter from a DPM. If waived for the interview, you would be required to submit it either before the decision or before matriculation... the AC will vary this requirement based on information gathered at an interview and we would communicate this to you in the post interview follow up. For example, an admissions decision may be held if, during the interview, the panel feels you don't know enough about the profession yet and further shadowing is recommended.

My other recommendation here - be ready to talk about the following in an interview: what you have been doing in shadowing, whom you have been shadowing, for how long and for how much longer you plan to shadow before asking for a letter of recomendation.

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Hi,

Can you please tell me is there any scope for 25 years or older student to plan career in med.I want to have do medicine however need to start from begining.i had to work couple of years due to financial situation.
would there be any chance to start the journey.I have finished my school.Also have entry for university.

Hi wishtobe1,

You are most certainly welcome to apply to Scholl College as a non-traditional student (that's the politically correct term for the "older" folks who apply!).

I see many opportunities for older students... they tend (and perhaps I am generalizing a little bit here, but the point remains) to be a little more mature, they tend to ground the rest of the class in terms of study groups and taking bumps and rough patches in stride. Older students may not be leadership (of every club) on our campus, as they often have other responsibilities at home, but they still foster an unspoken class leadership that faculty recognize.

In terms of practicing when you get out... well, my first thought is this: 4 years from now, you'll still be 4 years older... we'll just be calling you Dr Wishtobe1 instead. I have not witnessed any type of "discrimination" when applying for clerkships or residency (for one, because it's illegal) as residency directors also recognize that older students tend to me a little bit more mature once in residency, etc.

If this is your dream - go for it. You'll find a the diversity at Scholl is great in terms of race, nationality, age and background.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
TRS

Breaking news at Scholl College this afternoon! Our own Dr G, Chair of the Medicine Dept, was named one of the Northern IL/Northern IN ADA's Volunteer's of 2010! Way to go Dr G. Read the whole thing here: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=725

Also, Monday is a holiday for RFUMS... so, the office of admissions is going to enjoy a long weekend. We'll be back on Tuesday!

TRS

Hi Mandy, I had a few questions regarding admission decisions. Although GPA MCAT, LOR's, Volunteer work are weighed heavily does the Scholl also look for other things like..

1) What type of college university you went too, for example a school that's well known vs. a school that's unheard of?

2) Advanced/Type of courses you took compared to other students and what school they took them at?

3) Type of major, for example Bio major vs. English major and Gpa of each. Also if you minored as compared to someone who did not?

4) Age? Since Medical school is very long in duration and what about Minority groups? Since the avg age of medical students is 26, would a 21-22 year old applicant be given priority

5) Preference for in-state than out-of state applicants?

6) Work experience, you worked during your undergrad/HS years, doesn't necessarily have to be health related as compared to someone with little to no work experience?

Thank You, I'd appreciate your feedback. Also if you can, how you view my admissions chances at this moment? I still have 1 more semester B4 I apply

Rutgers University Class of 2012
Cum GPA: 3.182
Science GPA: 3.081
Science & Math GPA(combined): 3.031
Non-Science/Math GPA: 3.444

Last edited:
Hi mandy it's andy0311 again. I had also some general questions.

1) how many applicants apply each year?

2) how many are interviewed?

3) What's the acceptance rate for the most recent class?

4) Are their any GPA & MCAT cutoffs?

5) What's residency placement and board passing rate?

Last edited:
Of those eligible, yes, we had nearly 100% placement into programs. Please keep in mind, however, there were a few graduates who (for a variety of reasons) did not meet the AACPM-COTH definition of eligible. I do not know the exact number of students, off the top of my head.

Mandy

I'm sorry I'm playing the "numbers game" but earlier you said only one student chose to opt out. Now you are saying that several graduates did not meet the criteria for "eligible." So was it one or ten students that did not get residency? Is eligibility due to board pass rate and Scholl students not passing these boards?

Hi Mandy, I had a few questions regarding admission decisions. Although GPA MCAT, LOR's, Volunteer work are weighed heavily does the Scholl also look for other things like..

Thank You, I'd appreciate your feedback. Also if you can, how you view my admissions chances at this moment? I still have 1 more semester B4 I apply

Rutgers University Class of 2012
Cum GPA: 3.182
Science GPA: 3.081
Science & Math GPA(combined): 3.031
Non-Science/Math GPA: 3.444

Hi andy0311,

Ok... finger stretch... let's see if I can do this all in one post!

As a private, graduate school, we make no preference for type (public vs private), size or location of your undergraduate institution – save one: that it is Regionally Accredited. We also make no stipulation that you pursue any specific major… I’ve always said to those pursuing Biology Majors... “if things don’t go well and you did not go to any sort of professional, medical school after your education is complete, would you want to be a Biologist when you grow up?” If the answer to this is no, then maybe Biology isn’t what you should major in! So long as you have met the pre-requisites, have shadowed a DPM and prepared for a career in medicine as an undergraduate student, you are minimally prepared to apply.

Additionally, we don’t make any concessions for older/younger students. If a 21 yo applicant has the same qualifications as a 41 yo applicant, we will evaluate them on an even playing field. Honestly, I don’t even look at birth dates on the application… it makes no difference to me at all.

Above, I mentioned being minimally prepared to apply: these are the students who have just taken the pre-requisite courses and present with a competitive MCAT regardless (and shadowed a DPM). Most of the time, I encourage students to take, in addition to the 12 Hours of Biology required, upper division coursework in Genetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry and/or Anatomy & Physiology. If you are going to study these subjects for the first two years of pod med school, being familiar with the topics will benefit you in the long run… also, these courses can give you a better idea of whether or not you enjoy studying this material. There are so many health occupations where you can “help people” that you really must enjoy studying the sciences in order to do well at Scholl – let’s face it, we don’t offer any art classes to buffer the time you will spend studying the sciences.

Work vs healthcare experience…well, that’s a student by student specific situation. I tell everyone who applies you’ll need at least some of the following:

Work
Shadowing/Clinical Volunteer Experience
Leadership (work, student organizations or church work nicely)
Community Service (non-clinical)
Research Experience

Now, do you have to do everything on this list at 40+ hours a week? Heck no! Should you sample some of each in your initial years of education to find what you enjoy the most – certainly! If it turns out that you needed to work 40+ hours a week in order to pay for college, we’ll see that on your application and in your personal statement. But, that does not negate the need for you to also have some shadowing/clinical experience, leadership exposure and community service… we just won’t expect to see as much in these areas. Also, as a bit of advice – leave off anything prior to your freshman year of college from your application. I’m just not all that interested in what you did in high school now that you are applying for pod med school!

In a typical season, Scholl College will receive approximately 500-600 applications. If we just use round numbers, then: we’ll interview approximately 175 (accepting approximately 150) applicants for our 100 seats. We know we aren’t everyone’s first choice, so I know that approximately 1/3 of those we accept will not matriculate with us in the fall. When and if our numbers exceed these averages, we start a wait list in the late spring and continue to admit on a space-available basis.

I often tell applicants that we look at the whole student in the application… if your GPA is below average (3.30) but your MCAT is above (25+) then you’ll likely be reviewed for admissions at Scholl College. It works in reverse… if your MCAT is south of 25, but your GPA is 3.30+ then you’ll likely get a review as well. Then, it’s up to you to prove that you have the dedication, motivation and aspiration for a career in podiatric medicine in the interview.

NPMB Part 1 passing rate last year was 79% passed on the first attempt (national average was 79% as well.) NPMB Part 2 passing rate was nearly 90% for first time takers. Both score sets approach 99% when you average in second time test takers!

Scholl’s residency placement rate for last year was nearly 99% (but, you may want to read my next post about this number!) with one student who was qualified and eligible opting out for personal reasons. I’m anxious to see what our match placement is for Spring 2011! I’ll post as soon as I know!

I hope this helps you to determine if you have a competitive application for Scholl College!

If I missed anything or didn't do a good job explaining, let me know!

Cheers,
TRS

I'm sorry I'm playing the "numbers game" but earlier you said only one student chose to opt out. Now you are saying that several graduates did not meet the criteria for "eligible." So was it one or ten students that did not get residency? Is eligibility due to board pass rate and Scholl students not passing these boards?

Hey Podman23,

...and I don't want to be seen as splitting hairs, but it's makes a BIG difference. Back in 2008 (forgive me if I am off by a year...) the Council of Teaching Hospitals (COTH) along with the AACPM made a significant change to the eligibility rules for the Residency Match. The first big change was students had to pass NPMBP 1 in order to sit for an interview; then the following year they rolled out passing NPMBP 2 as a requirement for retaining a residency spot if you had been offered/then did not pass the boards.

So, for Class of 2010 of those eligible for a residency, we placed everyone - save the one who opted out for personal reasons - into a residency program. We did have a few (and by a few, I really do mean like 3) who were not eligible for interviewing and/or residency placement... and if they have become eligible during this academic year, would have re-entered the match this winter, likely interviewing in TX last week and will be seeking a PGY1 placement this summer.

Does that help?

Hi Mandy

just wondering if someone doesn't fall into that gpa mcat range that you provided in your post, would that disqualify them from being reviewed/interviewed??

Thanks again for the of the help you provide us on this forum. It's truly appreciated :)

Hi andy0311,

Ok... finger stretch... let's see if I can do this all in one post!

As a private, graduate school, we make no preference for type (public vs private), size or location of your undergraduate institution – save one: that it is Regionally Accredited. We also make no stipulation that you pursue any specific major… I’ve always said to those pursuing Biology Majors... “if things don’t go well and you did not go to any sort of professional, medical school after your education is complete, would you want to be a Biologist when you grow up?” If the answer to this is no, then maybe Biology isn’t what you should major in! So long as you have met the pre-requisites, have shadowed a DPM and prepared for a career in medicine as an undergraduate student, you are minimally prepared to apply.

Additionally, we don’t make any concessions for older/younger students. If a 21 yo applicant has the same qualifications as a 41 yo applicant, we will evaluate them on an even playing field. Honestly, I don’t even look at birth dates on the application… it makes no difference to me at all.

Above, I mentioned being minimally prepared to apply: these are the students who have just taken the pre-requisite courses and present with a competitive MCAT regardless (and shadowed a DPM). Most of the time, I encourage students to take, in addition to the 12 Hours of Biology required, upper division coursework in Genetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry and/or Anatomy & Physiology. If you are going to study these subjects for the first two years of pod med school, being familiar with the topics will benefit you in the long run… also, these courses can give you a better idea of whether or not you enjoy studying this material. There are so many health occupations where you can “help people” that you really must enjoy studying the sciences in order to do well at Scholl – let’s face it, we don’t offer any art classes to buffer the time you will spend studying the sciences.

Work vs healthcare experience…well, that’s a student by student specific situation. I tell everyone who applies you’ll need at least some of the following:

Work
Shadowing/Clinical Volunteer Experience
Leadership (work, student organizations or church work nicely)
Community Service (non-clinical)
Research Experience

Now, do you have to do everything on this list at 40+ hours a week? Heck no! Should you sample some of each in your initial years of education to find what you enjoy the most – certainly! If it turns out that you needed to work 40+ hours a week in order to pay for college, we’ll see that on your application and in your personal statement. But, that does not negate the need for you to also have some shadowing/clinical experience, leadership exposure and community service… we just won’t expect to see as much in these areas. Also, as a bit of advice – leave off anything prior to your freshman year of college from your application. I’m just not all that interested in what you did in high school now that you are applying for pod med school!

In a typical season, Scholl College will receive approximately 500-600 applications. If we just use round numbers, then: we’ll interview approximately 175 (accepting approximately 150) applicants for our 100 seats. We know we aren’t everyone’s first choice, so I know that approximately 1/3 of those we accept will not matriculate with us in the fall. When and if our numbers exceed these averages, we start a wait list in the late spring and continue to admit on a space-available basis.

I often tell applicants that we look at the whole student in the application… if your GPA is below average (3.30) but your MCAT is above (25+) then you’ll likely be reviewed for admissions at Scholl College. It works in reverse… if your MCAT is south of 25, but your GPA is 3.30+ then you’ll likely get a review as well. Then, it’s up to you to prove that you have the dedication, motivation and aspiration for a career in podiatric medicine in the interview.

NPMB Part 1 passing rate last year was 79% passed on the first attempt (national average was 79% as well.) NPMB Part 2 passing rate was nearly 90% for first time takers. Both score sets approach 99% when you average in second time test takers!

Scholl’s residency placement rate for last year was nearly 99% (but, you may want to read my next post about this number!) with one student who was qualified and eligible opting out for personal reasons. I’m anxious to see what our match placement is for Spring 2011! I’ll post as soon as I know!

I hope this helps you to determine if you have a competitive application for Scholl College!

If I missed anything or didn't do a good job explaining, let me know!

Cheers,
TRS

Hi Mandy

just wondering if someone doesn't fall into that gpa mcat range that you provided in your post, would that disqualify them from being reviewed/interviewed??

Thanks again for the of the help you provide us on this forum. It's truly appreciated :)

Hi PCforlife2011,

I really dislike ranges... I KNOW you all love them, as it helps you to define your application against a broad range of factors, but from an admissions stand-point, it really pins me down. This year I say our range is X to Y, and then next year our range is actually X+1 to Y-1 and all of a sudden we've "tightened our admissions" or "it's harder to get in." Our admissions is just much more fluid than that... and I prefer it that way.

You are more than just a set of walking numbers: MCAT, GPA, BCPM, etc... and I don't want anyone, with any score, to walk away after reading this post and say, well, shucks, I don't seem to fall into a range of acceptable numbers, so I'm going to throw away all of my shadowing, volunteer and clinical experiences and not pursue a DPM.

If you want to focus on numbers, focus on the number of hours you've spent voluntering at the local soup kitchen; the number of hours you've spent shadowing at a free-clinic, add up all of the hours you've spent preparing for a career in medicine. You want me to tell you what numbers matter to me? Those numbers!

So, without even knowing what your scores are..better or worse than the averages I usually write about... if the numbers that matter to me in your application add up, you should probably apply!

Hope that helps!
TRS

Hi all,

I know from time to time the residency shortage question comes up on this thread and others. If you are looking for the latest information on residency genesis from the APMA's perspective, you can read more here: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=750&preview=true

Let me know if you have any questions -- or better yet, post to Dr Gastwirth's blog for more information!

TRS

Howdy everyone! I have some great news to share with you this week. Recently, the new College of Pharmacy at Rosalind Franklin University was granted Pre-Candidate Status from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), which is a step towards full accreditation for our newest family member, Pharmacy. You might be saying, but, Mandy, this is a forum about Scholl College and podiatry, not pharmacy…you've got the wrong P1 students!?!?

I think it’s important for prospective students to know how a university develops over time — especially one that is Interprofessional in nature – like Scholl College and Rosalind Franklin University. By adding a College of Pharmacy, and future pharmacists, to our Interprofessional Team, we’re completing a family of healthcare practitioners and physician extenders (i.e., the other people treating your patient!). Pharmacy students will be integrating into the existing Scholl curriculum for a few Basic Science classes and will be popping up in our Interprofessional Healthcare Teams class to round out the discussion about medications, drug interactions, drug compliance, drug seeking behavior, and much more.

For the full story, click here: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=769

Let me know if you have any questions - but for right now, I'm still doing the happy dance in my office!

The Real Scholl,

What is the testing schedule like at Scholl's? Are the tests spread out or do they try to group them all with a week or a few days? Just wondering if we would constantly be testing our if there was some small breaks in between testing. Thanks!

Hi RealScholl

I was just wondering (approximations work just fine), how many applicants receive interviews at Scholl and how many of those are actually accepted? I'm just trying to get an understanding about the applicant pool

Thanks alot

Hi RealScholl

I was just wondering (approximations work just fine), how many applicants receive interviews at Scholl and how many of those are actually accepted? I'm just trying to get an understanding about the applicant pool

Thanks alot

You might just see the answer to your question if you look up a few posts!

"In a typical season, Scholl College will receive approximately 500-600 applications. If we just use round numbers, then: we’ll interview approximately 175 (accepting approximately 150) applicants for our 100 seats. We know we aren’t everyone’s first choice, so I know that approximately 1/3 of those we accept will not matriculate with us in the fall. When and if our numbers exceed these averages, we start a wait list in the late spring and continue to admit on a space-available basis."

The Real Scholl,

What is the testing schedule like at Scholl's? Are the tests spread out or do they try to group them all with a week or a few days? Just wondering if we would constantly be testing our if there was some small breaks in between testing. Thanks!

Hey there adnguyen,

Great question! So, Scholl College has what we call a "modular curriculum"... so what that means is that classes run on their own time tables.... it takes us 18 weeks to teach you Biochem... so we take 18 weeks to teach Biochem, despite the fact that our quarters are roughly 12 weeks in length.

Okay, now that you know that about our curriculum, it will make sense when I tell you that you'll take mid-terms, quizzes and finals according to the class schedule -- not the calendar! So, no finals week where we cram 25 exams into 5 days and you are hamburger by Friday... exams are spread out over time! Take an exam, breathe, study and repeat!

What that translates into (and currently the bane of Pete's existence if you are following his blog at RFUpodiatry.com/wordpress) is that the testing schedule is still rigorous... several exams + several weeks is nothing to scoff at and can still be stressful when trying to manage your time. Take a look at Pete's blog... that will give you the BEST idea of what the exam schedule is really like at Scholl!

Hope that helps!
TRS

You might just see the answer to your question if you look up a few posts!

"In a typical season, Scholl College will receive approximately 500-600 applications. If we just use round numbers, then: we’ll interview approximately 175 (accepting approximately 150) applicants for our 100 seats. We know we aren’t everyone’s first choice, so I know that approximately 1/3 of those we accept will not matriculate with us in the fall. When and if our numbers exceed these averages, we start a wait list in the late spring and continue to admit on a space-available basis."

Hey hematosis,

Thanks for the post! And, yep, yep.. those are the numbers. Let me know if you have any other questions, koolboy!

The Real Scholl,

You will constantly be taking tests. Average is close to 2 per week your first year. I am a student here.

However, talk to other schools. I'm not sure if there is much of a difference across the board.

hello The real Scholl, I am new here. I have a few questions
I am putting my application together for the fall 2011 semster. Is it too late? and also i heard that during 4th year i can do my rotaions out of state ( anywhere in the country)? someone else told me i can also do my rotations anywhere in the country in my 3rd year. Which do is it?
I am studying to take the mcat exam in march but my GPA isnt that great. it's a 2.5. i had alot of personal issues in college. Do u think i should apply? thanks

hello The real Scholl, I am new here. I have a few questions
I am putting my application together for the fall 2011 semster. Is it too late? and also i heard that during 4th year i can do my rotaions out of state ( anywhere in the country)? someone else told me i can also do my rotations anywhere in the country in my 3rd year. Which do is it?
I am studying to take the mcat exam in march but my GPA isnt that great. it's a 2.5. i had alot of personal issues in college. Do u think i should apply? thanks

Hi bebee,

Yep, you are most welcome to apply now for fall 2011. Scholl accepts applications on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of April 1 (so, don't delay much longer!). We'll evaluate your GPA and your MCAT when they arrive in our office - and make sure you are using the personal statement to disclose any of the personal issues you faced in college which may have impacted your performance. You can read more about the personal statment, GPA evaluation and MCAT if you do a quick search of this thread for those topics.

As to external clerkships, Scholl students start their externships as early as January of the third year for a total of 18 months of clerkship away from Scholl College. Some of these externships are mandatory (er, med, surg, etc) and must be completed in the Chicagoland area where we have affilitation agreements for "standardized" training in these areas. Some students will be able to complete all of the required externships and then move on to externships which are considered "elective" in the 4th year. Your schedule will vary and you may be able to leave the Chicagoland area early in your P3 year only to find that you must return to Chicago in your P4 year to complete required rotations.

As to where you may do your electives; well that depends. Some students will seek out externships at hospitals which also offer a Residency PMS 24 or 36 -- allowing them to "audition" their skills to that program for the month they are there. Others will seek out clerkships that are high volume, trauma, diabetic foot, sports, etc. oriented to broaded their skill set. Some will set up visits to programs which do not have a "formal" program of training, but are willing to do the extra paperwork to make certain their experience meets our requirement (for example, the Office Based Podiatry rotation).

So, the answer to your question is yes, maybe and most likely... it just depends on where you want to go and when you want to be there... We'll probably be able to help you set a schedule that works well for you!

Hope that helps!
TRS

Hi TRS

Just wondering when Scholl's incoming classes are usually filled by?

Hi TRS

Just wondering when Scholl's incoming classes are usually filled by?

Hey koolboy,

Well, it has varied in the time I've been at Scholl. A few years ago we had to establish a waitlist in May/June, while in other years we have extended offers of acceptance well into late June.

I've always said that those who can apply before the April 1 priority date have the best chance for everything. Admissions consideration, scholarship consideration, housing, etc. For those who wait, I can't ever promise anything. Even if you follow a really conservative time frame for late March applicants: submission + verification time + letters of rec received in our office + review in our office + interview scheduling = 7-8 weeks... that means you aren't even potentially interviewing at Scholl (let alone the other places you might be considering attending!) until May. Then, add to that our time to for the AC to make a decision about your candidacy and for you to review all of your offers (could be as late as June now)... then time to find an apartment, apply for aid and start thinking about moving!

We process applications as quickly as possible after April 1 just so avoid adding to your scramble at the end. Again, best advice, apply early and take advantage of the fact that we offer rolling admissions!

Hope that helps!
TRS

Hey Everyone... Dr Parsley just made a huge announcement about CLEAR yesterday. If you are interested in keeping up with our very busy team of researchers, click here to read all about it: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=805

Hope everyone is planning to have a great weekend. If you are attending the Catch the Wave Conference in San Diego, CA this weekend, stop by my booth from 12-3 on Saturday!

Cheers,
TRS

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give you all a quick update… I’ll be taking a little bit of time off this spring in order to spend some time with a new addition to my family. In the mean time, I have asked one of my colleagues to help out with our Real Scholl thread while I am away.

Jason has been working closely with applicants from the Scholl College since he started with the University a few months ago… some of you may recognize his name from your interview day! He’s great to work with and knows an incredible amount about the Podiatry program and faculty. Feel free to ask him the same questions you’d ask me.

I’ll be back in about 12 weeks and will look forward to catching up with you all then. In the mean time, good luck to you all in the application process!
Best
Mandy