Questions about Scholl College

• Thread starter The Real Scholl
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Real Scholl,

I was curious as to what exactly you look for in a personal statement? Also, what sort of length would you recommend? 4500 words seems a little excessive, and I'd hate to write the entire statement only to have the admissions person give only the first page or two a glance.

Thanks in advance for your reply!
-bobdolerson

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I had a few questions regarding the admissions process, I was wondering if there is a strict GPA cut off and if I can apply with physics in progress.

My BA gpa was about a 2.6 but took a few classes after my BA and still be around 2.9-3.0 gpa. And my MCAT score is 25.

Thank you,

Danny

Hi Danny,

Great question! For the most part, no, we don't have any specific GPA cut offs to speak of at Scholl. We really do evaluate the whole application and try to understand the context of the GPA x MCAT x Experience. Now, that said... yes, from time to time the reason we deny applicants is due to low GPA (or in some cases low MCAT score) but only after we have looked at the application in its entirety.

I hope that helps!

Good luck!
Mandy

The Real Scholl,

I was curious as to what exactly you look for in a personal statement? Also, what sort of length would you recommend? 4500 words seems a little excessive, and I'd hate to write the entire statement only to have the admissions person give only the first page or two a glance.

Thanks in advance for your reply!
-bobdolerson

Hi bobdolerson,

Well, first, the essay for the colleges of podiatric medicine is actually only 4500 characters - not words! So, that ought to shorten up your essay by quite a bit!

Previously, I've talked about what goes into a great personal statement... and all of those points remain valid. You might take a look at previous entries made about this topic.

Generally, tho, I would tell you to focus on your motivation for a career in podiatric medicine; tell us about that moment when you knew you wanted to become a physician and specifically a podiatric physician. Explain any personal hardships (caring for siblings or parents) but do it without whining. Explain any long breaks in your education if you have any; talk about your personal commitment to volunteering or community service; or talk about your reseach background. All of these are excellent places to start talking about yourself!

Above all, have a few friends read it and grammer and spell check thoroughly. Make certain you haven't made mistakes with the use of they're, their and there, etc.

Good luck!
Mandy

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi TheRealScholl,

As I'm thinking to apply to a pod school I had a few questions.

I read the other day that salary/job opportunity after graduation for podiatrists are exaggerated. That the reality is not as promising and it is hard to find a good paying job (like 100k a year) and the students loans are as bad as MD's. The article said (it was not in any official publication though) that podiatrists are "opportunists" and finding a job is rather difficult since there are MD's that can actually take up some of podiatrist's work.

So, after I discovered for myself podiatry, what seemed to be the holy grail of medicine (meaning lifestyle, etc), I started having second thoughts. I haven's shadowed any pods yet and I AM planning on doing it, however, I just wanted to ask your unbiased as it can be opinion on is it worth becoming a podiatrist. Im not talking about the love for the job and patient interactions. Im talking about 4 years of med school, 3 years of residency, 200k in debt after graduation and the real, not inflated job salaries/opportunities.

Thank you.

TheRealScholl,

I had an additional question in regards to applying. My MCAT scores have yet to be released (I should get them around the 28th, and I'm relatively sure I scored high enough to be competitive).

In applying to your school, would you recommend I submit my application now, and send in MCAT scores when I receive them? Or at this point, is it close enough to them being released that I should just wait, and submit when all materials have arrived?

Thank you for your previous response, and in advance for this one.

Btw, this thread is a remarkable idea, I'm surprised other schools haven't done something similar; while pre-podiatry students, and even active students may have ideas and experience as to application, advice does seem a bit more concrete coming from your position.

Thanks again,
-bobdolerson

Hi ryivnx,

It’s a very interesting question… and I hope I can provide an equally thought provoking answer. Let’s start with a saying a colleague of mine says all the time: Never hire a fat lawyer.

Now, what do I mean by that? Simply, I mean that in every profession you will find individuals who are lazy; incompetent; dull; opportunistic; and even corrupt. The people who enter into a profession and believe that they are “owed” a top residency or “owed” a top paying position in the dream city of their choice are often disappointed (or angry, or frustrated) when no one steps forward to deliver on that expectation.

But, I also believe that in all professions there are individuals who understand opportunities are earned and not given; that with great risks come great rewards; and that knowledge and training often beat out showmanship for breaks into rewarding careers.

I won’t argue the point: It’s 4 years of undergraduate + 4 years of medical school + 3 years of residency training (which, thankfully, these are paid positions!).. and boat load of debt that you are willingly accumulating. This is the great risk/great reward thing I was talking about…yes, I see positions posted all over the country for entry level DPMs (right out of residency training) which are offered anywhere between 75K and 90K (really dependant on where in the country they are located.) I also know that some DPMs struggle to find positions when finished with residency because they have not taken the time to build a professional network of colleagues who might offer assistance (referral) for full time opportunities.

I personally know DPMs in the Chicagoland area and other metropolitan areas that have practices that are generating seven figure incomes. Do they work harder than average? Yes, they certainly do! Are you going to make seven figures in your first job after residency? Nope! I know that for certain. Will you be able to service your debt, get married, have a family and maybe a pretty good golf game a year or two into practice… if you work hard at it, certainly.

As to whether or not there will be growth of the field in the next 10-, 15- or 25-years, if you read the study by Center for Health Workforce Studies at the School of Public Health, University at Albany (http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/News/N...iatricMedicinetoSurgeOvertheNextSixYears.aspx) then there are actually several plausible scenarios for this answer. I personally believe that the profession is ever evolving (as it needs to) and that practice of podiatric medicine likely won’t look like in 20 years what it looks like today. The future of the profession is actually in YOUR hands… whether or not you choose podiatric medicine or MD/DO as a profession. The generation of practitioners being trained now will be the leadership of these professions in the next 15-20 year and will greatly shape and influence the direction all of these professions grow.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you want to continue the discussion.

TheRealScholl,

I had an additional question in regards to applying. My MCAT scores have yet to be released (I should get them around the 28th, and I'm relatively sure I scored high enough to be competitive).

In applying to your school, would you recommend I submit my application now, and send in MCAT scores when I receive them? Or at this point, is it close enough to them being released that I should just wait, and submit when all materials have arrived?

Thank you for your previous response, and in advance for this one.

Btw, this thread is a remarkable idea, I'm surprised other schools haven't done something similar; while pre-podiatry students, and even active students may have ideas and experience as to application, advice does seem a bit more concrete coming from your position.

Thanks again,
-bobdolerson

Hi bobdolerson,

I would encourage you to go ahead with the e-submission of your application. The way I see it, it's going to take a week or so to process your application via the application service (verification process), so e-submit and hopefully we'll get your scores right after we have your application in our office.

Also, it's not too soon to send in your letters - -we hold them in our office so that we can match them to your application as soon as it arrives! Then you're complete and we can get down to the business of reviewing your credentials!

I'm really glad that you've enjoyed the thread! I certainly enjoy the ability to "join" your conversation and offer advice and thoughts as you all debate the pros/cons of applying and the profession! Keep the questions coming!

(And, sorry about the delay in replies this week.. we've been hosting a multi-day event on our campus this week for Pre-Health Advisors from Indiana University, Arizona State, Knox College, U Wisconsin, BYU and Michigan State... we've been talking about podiatry to these hard working advisors in hopes they will be able to bring this information back to their campuses and share the podiatry love with current and future students! Have an advisor who might benefit from this type of information??? -- send me their contact info in a PM or email. I'll make certain they get an invitation next time!)

Hello,

I have noticed that on the admissions checklist it states that the letter from a DPM must indicate the completion of twenty hours of shadowing. Do these hours have to be with an individual podiatrist? I have over twenty hours, but they are distributed between several doctors in a practice. Should I complete twenty hours with one of the podiatrist?

PeaJay

Hello,

I have noticed that on the admissions checklist it states that the letter from a DPM must indicate the completion of twenty hours of shadowing. Do these hours have to be with an individual podiatrist? I have over twenty hours, but they are distributed between several doctors in a practice. Should I complete twenty hours with one of the podiatrist?

PeaJay

Hi PeaJay,

I would actually encourage you to see a variety of DPMs in that 20 hours of shadowing. This way, you'll potentially see a variety of clinic, hospital and surgery practice.

One or several letters showing you've spent up to (a total of) 20 hours shadowing will be fine to meet our requirement.

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Thank you The Real Scholl for such an insightful post. I just took my MCAT and thats why I havent been here for a few days.

I absolutely agree with you on the fact that one has to work hard in order to achieve something in his or her life. This is something that I am good at and enjoy doing. I was just wondering whether the opportunity was still there. Like I said, I think that podiatric medicine is pretty much the holy grail for me due to its flexibility, lifestyle and time that I could spend with my potential family. This is why I decided to go into this field, however, just as you pointed out there are many individuals out there who must be very upset since they spread these questionable rumors. Being an international student, who will have to take out private loans that have like 10% APR, I was concerned that the income would not be sufficient enough to pay it all off. But I would, once again, agree with you on a point that if enough effort is put in, the outcome would be very rewarding:)

Another question that I had is how do you think podiatry will be affected after the new ObamaCare, new taxing system and all that fun stuff will fully take place on January 1 this year? What do podiatrists say about all of this?

Thank you so very much for your responses! As one of the dudes here posted, all med schools should have people like you on forums like these - it makes things so much easier to understand:)

Hi The Real Scholl,
i remember reading somewhere that scholl is 73% male. is this representative of the applicant pool?

and what are the ethnic demographics of scholl?

thanks

Thank you The Real Scholl for such an insightful post. I just took my MCAT and thats why I havent been here for a few days.

Another question that I had is how do you think podiatry will be affected after the new ObamaCare, new taxing system and all that fun stuff will fully take place on January 1 this year? What do podiatrists say about all of this?

Thank you so very much for your responses! As one of the dudes here posted, all med schools should have people like you on forums like these - it makes things so much easier to understand:)

Well, I hope you feel good about the MCAT. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
So… healthcare reform. Personally, with 32 million newly insured potential patients coming in the system in 2014, my response to this question is that podiatry will be fine. The APMA has been advising its membership of potential impact over the course of implementation, but the message that rings true from its leadership is that podiatry neither suffered losses, nor achieved any large wins within the ACA and HCERA legislation. A lot of this has yet to play out at the state level, tho… which is where much of the money will be spent on Medicare services. A positive outlook suggests that with increased state funding comes the expansion of podiatric services. Much of this is yet to be seen, as most of the law does not take effect until Jan 1, 2014.
At a practice level, the APMA advises that most private practices will not be effected by the mandate of providing medical insurance for its employees (where employers with 50+ employees must provide coverage options) and large health systems will typically have employer provided insurance.
I guess maybe the way to alleviate some of your concerns is to mention that Scholl’s curriculum will cover these topics during various courses within our curriculum! All students at RFUMS participate in a course called Interprofessional Healthcare Teams where modern-day issues in healthcare in America are addressed in both lecture and small group discussion: this means podiatry students are talking about these issues with clinical mentors alongside student-colleagues who are pursuing studies in medicine, PA, PT, MRP, etc. Podiatry students will also take a course in the third-year which incorporates Practice Management Concepts. This course is a more technical course in patient recruitment, small business management and ethics.
My final disclaimer is that I am in no way an expert in the legal aspect of impact of this legislation on clinical practice… and contrary to popular belief I don’t have a crystal ball. I have faith, however, that there are a lot of people at the AACPM and APMA who have devoted their lives to representing podiatric physicians at various levels “on the hill.” Students at Scholl have the opportunity to get involved in the political spectrum of medicine via work with Podiatry Political Action Campaigns and the Illinois Podiatric Medical Student Association when they visit the capitol to campaign for positive legislative outcomes!

Hi The Real Scholl,
i remember reading somewhere that scholl is 73% male. is this representative of the applicant pool?

and what are the ethnic demographics of scholl?

thanks

Hi samo789,

About 5 years ago, Scholl actually had an entering class enrollment that was 51% women! That was a first in our history and it was AWESOME!

That said, a season or two later, we did get very top heavy with male matriculants (that year it was about 3.5:1) and it was reflective of the applicant pool for that year. Not sure where all the women went, but we sure missed them.

This year, the incoming class of 2014 broke down like this:

Men: 57% and Women: 43%
Student hailed from 27 states, one foreign country.
Overall Grade Point Average: 3.23
Science Grade Point Average: 3.08
Competitive MCAT: 25
12.22% of the class is made of up under-represented minorities (Black/African American, Hispanic and Native American) and approximately 20% are Asian. About 10% of the class declines to answer the question.

Some have argued that as the profession places emphasis the surgical nature of the profession, female candidates shy away from the profession. I waiver... I can understand the point, but think that women surgeons are so very cool (and that there are plenty of you out there!). I still believe that this profession lends itself to those who desire lifestyle and career options... and these days, that's both men and women!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much Mandy,
Now I know this may seem like a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer.

After submitting our AACPMAS app, do our letters of recommendation from faculty and a DPM have to be sent to scholl right away? meaning, is it possible to get an interview invite without having these documents in? I only ask because I'm worried it will take a really long time for my letters to get in.

Thanks

Thank you so much Mandy,
Now I know this may seem like a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer.

After submitting our AACPMAS app, do our letters of recommendation from faculty and a DPM have to be sent to scholl right away? meaning, is it possible to get an interview invite without having these documents in? I only ask because I'm worried it will take a really long time for my letters to get in.

Thanks

Hi samo789,

Yep! Have your letters sent directly to our office:

Scholl College Office of Admissions
3333 Green Bay Rd
North Chicago, IL 60064

And, while we realize it may take time for you recommenders to send your letters to us, we feel it is an extremely important aspect of your application. Therefore, we will not evaluate files that are not complete! So don't wait to get your requests for recommendation to your faculty and advisors!!

I've found that providing an stamped envelope with our address already printed on it helps speed the process.

Good luck!
Mandy

To the Real Scholl,

Thanks for all the responses, i've read them all and found your answers to be very helpful. I see last year you made 2 trips to MI, including MSU, UM. Any chance Scholl will be back at either of these schools this year?

it's heeeerrreeeee. Okay, that may have been a little melo-dramatic, but our fall travel schedule is available by visiting my recent blog post: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=471.

I'd love to meet you personally at the events in: UT, CA, ID, and AZ!

See you on the road!
Mandy

hello , im glad i see someone from a pod school adm. is here , ok i have a question, lets say i get accepted to a pod school outside of california and after my first or second year i decide to transfer to a pod school in ca is it possible? how is the process ,if it is possible?

Thank you so much Mandy, you've been so helpful

i hate to keep asking stupid questions but i read here (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=688441) that you can use previous LORs to apply to pod school.

i went through the pre health committee last year when i was pre-med and got my committee LOR. however, i switched to pre pod over the summer; would i have to get new letters from faculty or go through committee again this time as a prepod student?

hello , im glad i see someone from a pod school adm. is here , ok i have a question, lets say i get accepted to a pod school outside of california and after my first or second year i decide to transfer to a pod school in ca is it possible? how is the process ,if it is possible?

Hi 1DPM,
Now, I can't answer for the policies of the colleges in CA, but, if you allow me to flip the Q to the other viewpoint, I think you might see my point I want to make:

At Scholl College, we do accept transfer students, but why would you do that to yourself?? We will accept "transfer credit" but in no way does the curriculum at one school match the curriculum at scholl college and you will be asked to take portions of our first year curriculum... and basically add a full year of study to your 4 year program. You start over in terms of GPA and class rank and potentially risk not being eligible for our second year scholarships. This isn't undergrad where Eng 101 is the same at all colleges and transfers as English every single time; you are chosing your professional school because you (should) believe that they are going to offer you the best training, resources, opportunities, etc.

At Scholl, it's 2.5 years that we ask you to be in Chicago... if there is a reason that you can not stay in the Chicagoland area for 2.5 years before obtaining your clerkship rotations in CA and other west coast states, then my best advice: start and finish your program at a CA program!

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Thank you so much Mandy, you've been so helpful

i hate to keep asking stupid questions but i read here (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=688441) that you can use previous LORs to apply to pod school.

i went through the pre health committee last year when i was pre-med and got my committee LOR. however, i switched to pre pod over the summer; would i have to get new letters from faculty or go through committee again this time as a prepod student?

Hi samo789,

So, let's look beyond the "use old letters" questions (you want to have the most recent information about you as possible in your letters) but, let's assume that your letters from your spring of your JR year are basically stating the same information about you from the fall of your SR year...

You are PRE-MED when you are applying to Scholl College and if your letters state that you have been preparing to become a physician in your undergraduate career, then fantastic! Where you will demonstrate that your preparation is for podiatric medicine is in your shadowing and career exploration/knowledge.

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Hey Mandy! I have a question. I asked my professors for the recommendation letters and they were asking if they have to send those letters to you or i will have to send them and they also wanted to ask you if they have to send those online or if you have the forms for the recommendation letters.. Please let me know.. Thanks

Hey Mandy! I have a question. I asked my professors for the recommendation letters and they were asking if they have to send those letters to you or i will have to send them and they also wanted to ask you if they have to send those online or if you have the forms for the recommendation letters.. Please let me know.. Thanks

Hi Ashch,

Quick and easy way to get your letters to us is to provide your letter writers with an envelope that has our address printed on it and a stamp! Then, they can just drop it in the mail when ready:

Scholl College
Office of Admissions
3333 Green Bay Rd
North Chicago, IL 60064

No forms or on-line submissions required, but schools with access to VE or Interfolio are welcome to submit letters electronically!

Last but not least: you are welcome to "collect" your sealed letters (with signature accross the seal) and send them all into us at once, but that is so not required!

Hope that helps!
Mandy

The Real Scholl,

We had an interesting discussion on another thread about questions on the actual application for Podiatry and/or Allopthic Medicine at Rosalind Franklin.

Do you ask prospective applicants whether they are applying to other Podiatry or Health related professional schools on the application?

If you do, what is the reasoning and are prospective student allowed to not answer these questions to protect themselves from possible exclusion due to them applying elsewhere.

I helped with the application process at Temple, and never encountered this particular question or issue, but it does concern me, as students seem to think if they are truthful about their intentions, it may exclude them.

Any input on this?

The Real Scholl,

We had an interesting discussion on another thread about questions on the actual application for Podiatry and/or Allopthic Medicine at Rosalind Franklin.

Do you ask prospective applicants whether they are applying to other Podiatry or Health related professional schools on the application?

If you do, what is the reasoning and are prospective student allowed to not answer these questions to protect themselves from possible exclusion due to them applying elsewhere.

I helped with the application process at Temple, and never encountered this particular question or issue, but it does concern me, as students seem to think if they are truthful about their intentions, it may exclude them.

Any input on this?

Hi Kidsfeet,

"We" do collect data as to where else applicants have submitted applications - but perhaps not for the nepharious reasons you might assume.

Also, when I say, "we" I mean the AACPM asks for this information on our common application. It's more used for tracking the percentage of applicants who also are applying to DO/MD and DPT and a few others, actually. From year to year, "we" can see the change the number of students who have another (primary or secondary) interest in another health occupation. Personally, I'm always interested in the split between those who apply to MD (and not DO) and those who apply to DO (and not MD).

As to what the Chicago Medical School at RFUMS does with that information (do they even collect that information on the AAMCAS application??) I can't say.

I will say that *if* (it isn't a mandatory field) a student chooses to answer the question on the AACPMAS application, it could very well come up in an interview setting, but certainly, we would never use that information to make a final decision about their podiatry application.

So, for applicants - answer truthfully! We just collect the data for comparision purposes!

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Hi Kidsfeet,

"We" do collect data as to where else applicants have submitted applications - but perhaps not for the nepharious reasons you might assume.

Also, when I say, "we" I mean the AACPM asks for this information on our common application. It's more used for tracking the percentage of applicants who also are applying to DO/MD and DPT and a few others, actually. From year to year, "we" can see the change the number of students who have another (primary or secondary) interest in another health occupation. Personally, I'm always interested in the split between those who apply to MD (and not DO) and those who apply to DO (and not MD).

As to what the Chicago Medical School at RFUMS does with that information (do they even collect that information on the AAMCAS application??) I can't say.

I will say that *if* (it isn't a mandatory field) a student chooses to answer the question on the AACPMAS application, it could very well come up in an interview setting, but certainly, we would never use that information to make a final decision about their podiatry application.

So, for applicants - answer truthfully! We just collect the data for comparision purposes!

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Thanks for the reply Mandy,

I'm hoping all the prospective students read this to calm their fear of what answering this question may do to their chances. I appreciate the honesty.

I am looking for advice. I am looking into apply for your Podiatry school at Scholl but with a GPA of 2.8 and MCAT of 27 should I apply and what would my chance of getting an interview, would it even be possible if I apply early. OR should I complete a Special Master Program and then apply. I would rather get straight advice then apply knowing I don't have a chance. Any suggestions would be great.

To The Real Scholl,

what does the administrative department think of time off from science/academia?

I graduated in december of 2008 with a degree in molec, cell, and dev bio with a minor in business.

I have 2.5 years of undergrad research experience. rather extensive, and got a hhmi grant or two, and a paper published.

my gpa was 3.1 cumulative. I am not sure exactly how to calculate my science gpa, but my "major" gpa which is all of the Biology classes I took (I have taken quite a bit) is 3.4.

since graduation, i have had to work in the family business which is a computer one due to financial issues going on with my family. i have been doing web application programming. While doing this, I have been taking continuing education courses at night in Computer science and have picked up HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, mySQL, and C++.

I originally wanted to be a research scientist but after getting the degree realized it was not for me (in all honestly I am a people person and even though I love science did not want to spend the rest of my life with mice/rats) and was a little confused as to what I wanted to due with my life when I finished undergrad after coming to this conclusion (have been "treading water" so to speak in the family business).

For the past 3 months I have been shadowing a podiatrist and have absolutely loved it. Loved the human interaction, loved the science, and loved the combination of technical and business. I am currently studying for the MCATs.

If I can get a good MCAT score (I am studying my butt off every day so lets say I get > 25), will I have a chance to get into the school even though I have taken 2 years off from science / academic research? I have been volunteering at a hospital too by the way. I really want to do podiatry after shadowing and honestly, did not even know about the profession until around half a year ago.

So essentially, what does the admission committee here (or anywhere I suppose) think of time away from hard science classes ? I am sure it is not preferred but is it a huge deterrent?

Last edited:
To The Real Scholl,

what does the administrative department think of time off from science/academia?

I graduated in december of 2008 with a degree in molec, cell, and dev bio with a minor in business.

I have 2.5 years of undergrad research experience. rather extensive, and got a hhmi grant or two, and a paper published.

my gpa was 3.1 cumulative. I am not sure exactly how to calculate my science gpa, but my "major" gpa which is all of the Biology classes I took (I have taken quite a bit) is 3.4.

since graduation, i have had to work in the family business which is a computer one due to financial issues going on with my family. i have been doing web application programming. While doing this, I have been taking continuing education courses at night in Computer science and have picked up HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, mySQL, and C++.

I originally wanted to be a research scientist but after getting the degree realized it was not for me (in all honestly I am a people person and even though I love science did not want to spend the rest of my life with mice/rats) and was a little confused as to what I wanted to due with my life when I finished undergrad after coming to this conclusion (have been "treading water" so to speak in the family business).

For the past 3 months I have been shadowing a podiatrist and have absolutely loved it. Loved the human interaction, loved the science, and loved the combination of technical and business. I am currently studying for the MCATs.

If I can get a good MCAT score (I am studying my butt off every day so lets say I get > 25), will I have a chance to get into the school even though I have taken 2 years off from science / academic research? I have been volunteering at a hospital too by the way. I really want to do podiatry after shadowing and honestly, did not even know about the profession until around half a year ago.

So essentially, what does the admission committee here (or anywhere I suppose) think of time away from hard science classes ? I am sure it is not preferred but is it a huge deterrent?

Hi emericana,
Thanks for the great question. I can understand your concern about being away from the sciences for a few years, but ultimately, I think you’re going to be ok. And, here’s why:
Typically, our major concern with “non-traditional” students is the amount of time away from the “classroom environment.” In other words, your brain is a muscle that needs exercise, too! You have an advantage in that you’ve been in the classroom recently. While I know computer programming isn’t Anatomy and Physiology it is still science and keeping that muscle in shape… while keeping your study skills and habits fresh.
Another advantage is that you are preparing for the MCAT now. Some non-trads took the MCAT so long, ago that they have forgotten just how much time and prep needed to go into the exam, and ultimately end up with a new, poor score. Treat the preparation for this exam just like you would any other clas you are taking and study over the course of several weeks or months to prepare.
Do well on the MCAT and don’t forget to outline what you’ve been doing for the last few years in your personal statement. I think it’s great that you’ve been shadowing, too! Keep that up and make sure you talk about that in your personal statement too.
Oh, and if you still like the idea of keeping a toe in the research water (pun intended!) Scholl has some great opportunities for those who want to be able to combine their love of patient care with their interest in research. Check out this blog entry by Dr Najafi about one of our current students: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=485
Good Luck!
The Real Scholl

I am looking for advice. I am looking into apply for your Podiatry school at Scholl but with a GPA of 2.8 and MCAT of 27 should I apply and what would my chance of getting an interview, would it even be possible if I apply early. OR should I complete a Special Master Program and then apply. I would rather get straight advice then apply knowing I don't have a chance. Any suggestions would be great.

Hi firstgeneration,

I would encourage you to apply, but only after you can answer these questions: What (else) have you done to develop yourself for a career in medicine and specifically podiatric medicine? As an applicant to Scholl, I look beyond the numbers when I see scores like a 2.8 and a 27 MCAT... I want to know what you motivation is; have you shadowed a DPM (and what did you learn about the profession and yourself during that experience?); what have you done in terms of leadership, work, research?

There are many, many reasons why you have a 2.8 (were you working 40+ hours a week?) and you may have had a good day on the MCAT... BUT - can you demonstrate for me that you have spent significant time preparing for a career in medicine.

Now, I don't expect an answer here, but if you were nodding your head along to these questions and thinking about how you could formulate answers - then I welcome you application. If you were a little more deer-in-the-headlights when reading those questions above, you may not be ready to apply!

Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any other questions!

The Real Scholl

Hi emericana,
Thanks for the great question. I can understand your concern about being away from the sciences for a few years, but ultimately, I think you're going to be ok. And, here's why:
Typically, our major concern with "non-traditional" students is the amount of time away from the "classroom environment." In other words, your brain is a muscle that needs exercise, too! You have an advantage in that you've been in the classroom recently. While I know computer programming isn't Anatomy and Physiology it is still science and keeping that muscle in shape… while keeping your study skills and habits fresh.
Another advantage is that you are preparing for the MCAT now. Some non-trads took the MCAT so long, ago that they have forgotten just how much time and prep needed to go into the exam, and ultimately end up with a new, poor score. Treat the preparation for this exam just like you would any other clas you are taking and study over the course of several weeks or months to prepare.
Do well on the MCAT and don't forget to outline what you've been doing for the last few years in your personal statement. I think it's great that you've been shadowing, too! Keep that up and make sure you talk about that in your personal statement too.
Oh, and if you still like the idea of keeping a toe in the research water (pun intended!) Scholl has some great opportunities for those who want to be able to combine their love of patient care with their interest in research. Check out this blog entry by Dr Najafi about one of our current students: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=485
Good Luck!
The Real Scholl

Great. Thank you so much for your kind help. I am studying constantly every day for the MCAT and all of the science is coming back really smoothly.

When do you recommend that I apply? I am going to be taking the MCAT in January (which is the next time you can take the test) . Do you think I should apply before I take the test? Right when I take the test? I am super interested after shadowing at being a podiatrist and want to give my best chances at getting in.

Do you think getting a second job at a research lab will help or do you think at this point I should focus on shadowing and volunteering at a hospital and getting a good score on the MCAT (as I stated I have 2.5 years of extensive undergrad research however the last time I have been involved in anything basic science related was December 2008).

Sorry for asking such specific questions, I just want to make sure that I have the best shot possible of getting an interview!

The Real Scholl,
I recently graduated with a B.S. in Biology. I have a 3.25 cumulative GPA and a 3.1 science GPA. I had a rough start my freshman year, but earned As and Bs throughout the rest of my classes. I also took a lot of upper level classes my senior year such as Biochem, Genetics, Micro, etc. My MCAT is not that great, I got a 20Q (7-8-5). I know my Bio section is what hurts my application. I worked at the Coroner's Office during undergrad as an Autopsy Technician. I volunteer as a personal tutor, as a disaster relief member for the American Red Cross, and in the ER department of a hospital. I was an officer in the Pre-medical society, Member of the Biology club, and an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in the Anatomy Lab. I have also shadowed a Podiatrist. I have LORs from a Podistrist, a DO, 2 PhD's, and 2 M.S. professors. Do I stand a shot?

Great. Thank you so much for your kind help. I am studying constantly every day for the MCAT and all of the science is coming back really smoothly.

When do you recommend that I apply? I am going to be taking the MCAT in January (which is the next time you can take the test) . Do you think I should apply before I take the test? Right when I take the test? I am super interested after shadowing at being a podiatrist and want to give my best chances at getting in.

Do you think getting a second job at a research lab will help or do you think at this point I should focus on shadowing and volunteering at a hospital and getting a good score on the MCAT (as I stated I have 2.5 years of extensive undergrad research however the last time I have been involved in anything basic science related was December 2008).

Sorry for asking such specific questions, I just want to make sure that I have the best shot possible of getting an interview!

Hi emericana,

My best advice to apply between now and Jan 1... it will take a few weeks for the application service to verify your transcripts and potentially for your letters to arrive in our office. Scholl will interview otherwise qualified candidates who are missing the MCAT (however, we won't be able to render a decision until after your official scores are available in Feb).

As to 2nd job vs more shadowing... that's up to you! Do you have debt you need to pay off before starting a program of study (or just simply save some cash)? Then work. Do you need to beef up your clinical hours and podiatric medicine knowledge? Then shadow. There's no right or wrong answer here -- it depends on what you need.

Good luck with the application!
Mandy

The Real Scholl,
I recently graduated with a B.S. in Biology. I have a 3.25 cumulative GPA and a 3.1 science GPA. I had a rough start my freshman year, but earned As and Bs throughout the rest of my classes. I also took a lot of upper level classes my senior year such as Biochem, Genetics, Micro, etc. My MCAT is not that great, I got a 20Q (7-8-5). I know my Bio section is what hurts my application. I worked at the Coroner's Office during undergrad as an Autopsy Technician. I volunteer as a personal tutor, as a disaster relief member for the American Red Cross, and in the ER department of a hospital. I was an officer in the Pre-medical society, Member of the Biology club, and an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in the Anatomy Lab. I have also shadowed a Podiatrist. I have LORs from a Podistrist, a DO, 2 PhD's, and 2 M.S. professors. Do I stand a shot?

Hi darkandtwisty,

Can I assume you've been following some of the advice I've given to others? If so, then, Scholl would welcome your application so long as you are able to answer the following questions:

I have done XYZ to prepare for a career in medicine, specifically podiatric medicine. From completing XYZ, I have knowledge that allows me to say I desire to become a podiatric physician. From my research into Scholl, I can say that the reason I desire to be admitted to Scholl is ABC.

If you can answer those questions, I look forward to reading your application!

The Real Scholl

Thanks Mandy!
I have one more question. I'm still waiting for the Podiatrist that I shadowed to send my LOR to my advisor to submit to Scholl College. Hopefully he'll have it sent soon. My adivosr has my other letters and I believe she sent them already. Will Scholl wait until they receive the letter from the podiatrist and just put it on hold as incomplete, or just deny me because they believe I don't have one. Thank you!

I have a question on the LORs. I have not yet applied but I plan to do it next month. The podiatrist that I shadowed already send the letter of recommendation. Would you guys discard it because I have not applied yet or would it stay on file?

Thanks

Thanks Mandy!
I have one more question. I'm still waiting for the Podiatrist that I shadowed to send my LOR to my advisor to submit to Scholl College. Hopefully he'll have it sent soon. My adivosr has my other letters and I believe she sent them already. Will Scholl wait until they receive the letter from the podiatrist and just put it on hold as incomplete, or just deny me because they believe I don't have one. Thank you!

Hi darkandtwisty,

When our office has received at minimum three letters of faculty, advisor or professional recommendations we will consider your application complete; if you are "missing" your DPM letter we would not out right reject your application from consideration, but if granted an interview your answer to "where's your DPM letter?" better be "in the mail!"

Mandy

I have a question on the LORs. I have not yet applied but I plan to do it next month. The podiatrist that I shadowed already send the letter of recommendation. Would you guys discard it because I have not applied yet or would it stay on file?

Thanks

Hi podtoe28,

Our office holds materials in our office for one calendar year before disgarding them. If you apply next month, you should be just fine!

TheRealScholl

Hi The Real Scholl

I was wondering if i were to do a post bac (UC Berkley Extension, etc) and get say a 28-30 MCAT, would I be more compettive for the DPM program at Scholl??

My undergrad gpa was a 2.8/2.9
Also, I have a bad MCAT score on my record. I am working on making it compettive (28-30)

(PS. username is my buddy's, hence the MD. please dont take that into account)

Hi The Real Scholl

I was wondering if i were to do a post bac (UC Berkley Extension, etc) and get say a 28-30 MCAT, would I be more compettive for the DPM program at Scholl??

My undergrad gpa was a 2.8/2.9
Also, I have a bad MCAT score on my record. I am working on making it compettive (28-30)

(PS. username is my buddy's, hence the MD. please dont take that into account)

Hi MD2014786's buddy,

I do think post bac programs can be valuable if you need to sharpen your science skills and master material. Be careful in thinking that this GPA will be the only one we look at in your application; your undergraduate work will still be evaluated.

Raising your MCAT will help, too. Scholl does look at all exams that are newer than 3 years old, so you won't be able to erase a "bad" exam from your record -- but a higher score will surely look better.

Don't forget you are more than just numbers - make certain you are shadowing, volunteering and gaining leadership experience to round out your application.

Good luck!
Mandy

I have already submitted a primary and secondary application to the Rosalind Franklin MD program. Since having done so my interest has shifted, and continues to shift toward podiatry. Because of this I would like to apply to the DPM program and withdrawal my application from consideration for the MD program. My question is: will having already applied to the MD program and then changed my mind be frowned upon from an admissions stand point for the DPM program? I feel I have sound reasons for doing so and can thoroughly justify my decision. Thanks for the help.

I have already submitted a primary and secondary application to the Rosalind Franklin MD program. Since having done so my interest has shifted, and continues to shift toward podiatry. Because of this I would like to apply to the DPM program and withdrawal my application from consideration for the MD program. My question is: will having already applied to the MD program and then changed my mind be frowned upon from an admissions stand point for the DPM program? I feel I have sound reasons for doing so and can thoroughly justify my decision. Thanks for the help.

Hi Pod85,

No problem (and yeah that you found podiatric medicine!!). First, you'll have to submit an entire application to Scholl College - we don't use any of your CMS application or letters to complete our process. You may reuse some of your letters from your CMS application (as in they do not need to be re-written to say "podiatric medicine" instead of "allopathic medicine") but don't forget you'll need to be able to demonstrate an interest in podiatric medicine - -so make sure you have a letter from a DPM and have shadowed a DPM.

Next, you'll need to withdraw your application from the medical school - an email sent to [email protected] stating your intent to withdraw is just fine.

As far as one application effecting the other, don't worry. We do not hold multiple applications against our candidates (on either side of the admissions office)... and often candidates submit multiple applications. You might want to start formulating your answer to the question, tho, "what influenced your switch from allopathic to podiatric medicine..." as it might come up in the interview.

Good luck!
Mandy

Hi , I am a pre-med student who is considering switching to podiatry. Here are my stats:

Grad GPA: 3.70 (master's in medical science)
undergrad GPA: 3.25 (science 2.95) Biology
MCAT: 30Q (both times i took it)

My focus has been on medical school so my recommendation letters are written for medical school and my shadowing experiences are in hospitals. I have years of work experience in hospitals and have shadowed many people. I have tons of volunteering hours.

Can I apply to the school now and be considered for admission. If so, would i be considered for scholarship and up to how much is typically offered with similar stats.

Thank you for your help.

Hi,

Thanks for taking your time to answer these questions.

I am just wondering if some EC will hurt instead of help? For a while I was really interested in Dental School but have since decided to apply to POD school.

I have shadowed a number of dentists and also have volunteered in a Dental Clinic for the underprivileged. Will this hurt me if I put it on my application? I do not want the committee to think I am being wishy washy about how I came about to applying to Scholl. Thanks

Hi , I am a pre-med student who is considering switching to podiatry. Here are my stats:

Grad GPA: 3.70 (master's in medical science)
undergrad GPA: 3.25 (science 2.95) Biology
MCAT: 30Q (both times i took it)

My focus has been on medical school so my recommendation letters are written for medical school and my shadowing experiences are in hospitals. I have years of work experience in hospitals and have shadowed many people. I have tons of volunteering hours.

Can I apply to the school now and be considered for admission. If so, would i be considered for scholarship and up to how much is typically offered with similar stats.

Thank you for your help.

Hi pdiddy916,

At Scholl College, being a podiatry applicant means you are pre-medicine!! You are most certainly welcome to use letters written by faculty for your AACPMAS application to Scholl College. Just please do not forget that you must shadow a DPM and obtain a letter of recommendation from him or her in order to be admitted! Is that something you are able to include now in your application?

Right now, the scholarship committee is able to review all acceptances and make appropriate scholarship offers. Basically, an UG GPA of a 3.0 or better will get you in the bucket to be considered for a scholarship, but its your volunteer and extra curriculars that help us decide what that dollar amount will eventually be for you, specifically.

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Hi,

Thanks for taking your time to answer these questions.

I am just wondering if some EC will hurt instead of help? For a while I was really interested in Dental School but have since decided to apply to POD school.

I have shadowed a number of dentists and also have volunteered in a Dental Clinic for the underprivileged. Will this hurt me if I put it on my application? I do not want the committee to think I am being wishy washy about how I came about to applying to Scholl. Thanks

Hi bonvivant07,

I could spend hours talking about the similarities between Pod and Dent as an health profession, in terms of education... and perhaps that ought to be where you start in your personal statement or in an interview situation. We know many students find podiatry "later" than med or dent... and your EC will never hurt you application. I want to admit students into podiatry who are caring individuals. I don't see how working in a underprivileged clinic would indicate that you aren't a caring person.

My only concern: Scholl doesn't accept the DAT, so make sure you are taking the MCAT in order to apply to our campus, okay!

Hi TheRealScholl

I am interested in podiatry school, I just had a few questions, which I hope you can answer.

1. I read on alot of forums that it is quite difficult for DPMs to find work after residency. Is there any truth to this? How does a grad go about finding work? Is it the same process as the MD students?

2. Also, online I've been reading some issues pertaining to salary. While I understand that salary should not and is not the deciding factor, it is somewhat of a factor nonetheless. I would like to be able to support my wife and kids, as well as be able to help my parents and of course, paying off student loans. What is the approximate salary for residents? And what is the salary for the post residency years? What factors determine how much you can make?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions,

Hi koolboy,

We started this discussion in a Q&A above.. and this was a good start to answering your questions:
Hi ryivnx,

I won’t argue the point: It’s 4 years of undergraduate + 4 years of medical school + 3 years of residency training (which, thankfully, these are paid positions!).. and boat load of debt that you are willingly accumulating. This is the great risk/great reward thing I was talking about…yes, I see positions posted all over the country for entry level DPMs (right out of residency training) which are offered anywhere between 75K and 90K (really dependant on where in the country they are located.) I also know that some DPMs struggle to find positions when finished with residency because they have not taken the time to build a professional network of colleagues who might offer assistance (referral) for full time opportunities.

I personally know DPMs in the Chicagoland area and other metropolitan areas that have practices that are generating seven figure incomes. Do they work harder than average? Yes, they certainly do! Are you going to make seven figures in your first job after residency? Nope! I know that for certain. Will you be able to service your debt, get married, have a family and maybe a pretty good golf game a year or two into practice… if you work hard at it, certainly.

As to whether or not there will be growth of the field in the next 10-, 15- or 25-years, if you read the study by Center for Health Workforce Studies at the School of Public Health, University at Albany (http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/News/N...iatricMedicinetoSurgeOvertheNextSixYears.aspx) then there are actually several plausible scenarios for this answer. I personally believe that the profession is ever evolving (as it needs to) and that practice of podiatric medicine likely won’t look like in 20 years what it looks like today. The future of the profession is actually in YOUR hands… whether or not you choose podiatric medicine or MD/DO as a profession. The generation of practitioners being trained now will be the leadership of these professions in the next 15-20 year and will greatly shape and influence the direction all of these professions grow.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you want to continue the discussion.

Unfortunately, residents make between $35-55K per year of residency (but, right now, thankfully, your loans are deferred for these years.). I'vev seen salaries bump up to $75-90K after residency, but again, this is largely up to you and how hard you are willing to work. I personally think that if you move away from big cities that currently have a DPM school in the area, you'll make more in the long run just do to simple supply and demand. I also think that becoming affilitated with a hospital or group is the way to go (as opposed to private practice), but that's just my opinion. There are many, many successful (and rich) DPMs out there who own their own practices.

As far as doing your own research, I'd start with the BLS.gov site and see how the profession is expected to grow over the next 15 years. I'd read up about the APMA's Vision 2015 (google it) and see how the profession will also change over the next 20 years. Then, you can make an educated guess about how you personally will fair in this profession!

Best of luck to you!

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all enjoyed the Thanksgiving break... and that you are looking forward to the rest of the Holiday Season!

A few things to keep you up-to-date: Are you following P1 Scholl Student Pete Bellezza's blog on RFUpodiatry.com? He's describing the ups and downs of his P1 adventure's in his own words (and pictures in some cases!) Check it out here: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/. Have questions for Pete? Feel free to comment on his blog!

We're also proud to announce that P2 student Nadia Sadeghi will be featured in the APMA's profiles of Today's Podiatrist. Keep watch on my admissions blog for a link to her profile! She's awesome, you'll want to read her story.

Also, just so you know, the University and Office of Admissions will be closed in observation of the Christmas and New Years Holidays on the following days:

December 23rd
December 24th
December 30th
December 31st

We'll all be back in the office on Monday, Jan 3rd!

Let me know if you have any questions about Scholl, our admissions process or interviewing at Scholl. I'm here to help!
Mandy AKA The Real Scholl