Questions about Scholl College

• Thread starter The Real Scholl
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone! My name is Jason and, as Mandy pointed out, I'll be covering for her for the next few weeks. I'm excited to answer any questions you might have about the great program we have here at Scholl.

In addition to answering your questions on this thread, I'm on the road recruiting as well. When I go out on the road, I'll be updating you on the location, so that if you're in the area you can stop by to say hi or ask any questions. Another reason for this is to let you know that if I don't get back to you right away it's because I'm gone.

If you've followed the thread for long you know that there are several events and updates about our alumni, students, and program. So stay tuned for the latest on Scholl as I post that exciting news as well.

I'm sure spring break is coming up shortly for many of you. So, have a nice, relaxing spring break whether it be at home or in the warmer climates.

It's nice to be part of the Real Scholl family.

Jason

Members don't see this ad.

The Real Scholl,

I think it is great that you are serving as a resource of information for students applying to Scholl - it speaks a lot about the admissions committee there!

My question is regarding scholarships for competitive applicants; how many big scholarships does your institution offer, and what factors are considered when allocating these awards?

I am very interested in the Scholl DPM program, and in the field of podiatry. I seek your wisdom in how to articulate to an admissions committee that I am dedicated to the field of podiatry in ways other than simply shadowing DPMs. I am a senior in college, have a 3.985 overall GPA (~3.95) science from NC State University with two B.S. degrees in science (Biology and Botany), no MCAT yet but practice tests are looking good - but those are just numbers! Podiatry school is the only program type I am applying for, and I want to be strongly considered for scholarship money since professional school is a very expensive process! What steps can I take to show this rather than just say this to an admissions committee?

Also, what resources (whether through social clubs or professional mentorship, etc.) does Scholl have for students primarily interested in rearfoot and ankle reconstructive surgery, or simply surgery for that matter?

Thank you, and I look forward to applying to the DPM program at Scholl for Fall 2012 matriculation!

Hey everyone. As promised, there is some exciting news from the Scholl Alumni last Friday. At their annual fundraising event to help benefit scholarships the Alumni raised $60,000! In addition to this, they gained two pieces of surgical equipment to help Scholl students in their surgical skills lab. Good work Scholl Alumni.

In addition to this great contribution, the students from Scholl college were able to volunteer at the Midwest Podiatry Conference last week. This gave them the opportunity to meet and network with podiatrists from all over the midwest region. This event was held in Chicago and gave the students exposure to future colleagues, updates on the profession, and the latest in medical technology.

Have a great weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of internet access I see that you are not allowed to play internet games. Is that fully restricted or is that something that if you play a normal computer game you should be ok? Is it similar to any other university internet system?

In terms of internet access I see that you are not allowed to play internet games. Is that fully restricted or is that something that if you play a normal computer game you should be ok? Is it similar to any other university internet system?

You should get a girlfriend and worry about school not computer games.

The Real Scholl,

My question is regarding scholarships for competitive applicants; how many big scholarships does your institution offer, and what factors are considered when allocating these awards?

I am very interested in the Scholl DPM program, and in the field of podiatry. I seek your wisdom in how to articulate to an admissions committee that I am dedicated to the field of podiatry in ways other than simply shadowing DPMs. I am a senior in college, have a 3.985 overall GPA (~3.95) science from NC State University with two B.S. degrees in science (Biology and Botany), no MCAT yet but practice tests are looking good - but those are just numbers! Podiatry school is the only program type I am applying for, and I want to be strongly considered for scholarship money since professional school is a very expensive process! What steps can I take to show this rather than just say this to an admissions committee?

Also, what resources (whether through social clubs or professional mentorship, etc.) does Scholl have for students primarily interested in rearfoot and ankle reconstructive surgery, or simply surgery for that matter?

Thank you, and I look forward to applying to the DPM program at Scholl for Fall 2012 matriculation!

Dr. Right,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I was waiting on an answer to your second question and still am... but I won't keep you waiting any longer on the first one.

Scholl has around $500,000 dollars in scholarship money every year. We have 3, 4, 5 thousand dollar merit scholarships as well as half tuition scholarships. As you are applying for the program the scholarship application process is not separate. Once your application gets accepted by the admissions committee, it will then go before the scholarship committee. So, there is no extra step that you take when first applying to the school. They are not rolling. This means that you will reapply for the scholarships every year.

In regard to the criteria, the scholarship committee takes a holistic approach when looking at your application. This means that your entire application is reviewed again. Your GPA has to be above a 3.0 and your experiences have to be exceptional. The higher the grades/MCAT and the better the quality that the experiences are will determine the actual amount. By demonstrating (through your application and interview) that you are invested in the profession and have the experiences and grades as a foundation to be successful, you will set yourself in the field of applicants to get a scholarship.

If you'd like me to clarify, let me know. I'll get back to you about the reconstructive surgery part of your question (I wanted some of our DPM's to answer that). Thanks for your patience with me in my first post.

By the way... I'll be at NC State recruiting for our entire school (Rosalind Franklin University) on March 28th for the NC Health Expo. Stop by the booth and say hi if you'd like.

For all of you in the Ann Arbor area, I'll be at the Medical School Information Fair tomorrow March 15 from 3-6 pm. It's set up for students interested in MD or DO but I know there are a lot of you making decisions and getting information on various programs right now. Stop by the Rosalind Franklin University booth for more info or just to say hi.

Thanks Jason, I appreciate your thoughtful answers. As for the NC State Health Expo, I look forward to meeting and talking with you.

I think a girlfriend/boyfriend would absorb a much greater amount of one's time than computer games! Though I might be mistaken judging by the addictions of some to WoW and/or Call of Duty, etc...

How about this... find a girlfriend/boyfriend who is in your class and make them a "study buddy"! :thumbup:

The Real Scholl,

Also, what resources (whether through social clubs or professional mentorship, etc.) does Scholl have for students primarily interested in rearfoot and ankle reconstructive surgery, or simply surgery for that matter?QUOTE]

Dr. Right.

There are several different resources and clubs on campus that will help you pursue your interest in rearfoot and ankle reconstructive surgery. The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS) is a group on campus that supplements the surgery courses with additional information and hands-on experiences in order to prepare its members for future surgical endeavors.

Also, there are several workshops held by Scholl College throughout the year to further surgical knowledge and skill base.

Another option for you will be seminars lead by Chicago area or Scholl Alumni DPM's that will come to the school to discuss surgical cases with the students. These seminars and meetings are used to encourage our students to learn more about surgery and to heighten their awareness of current surgical issues.

Jason

Dr. Right.

There are several different resources and clubs on campus that will help you pursue your interest in rearfoot and ankle reconstructive surgery. The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS) is a group on campus that supplements the surgery courses with additional information and hands-on experiences in order to prepare its members for future surgical endeavors.

Also, there are several workshops held by Scholl College throughout the year to further surgical knowledge and skill base.

Another option for you will be seminars lead by Chicago area or Scholl Alumni DPM's that will come to the school to discuss surgical cases with the students. These seminars and meetings are used to encourage our students to learn more about surgery and to heighten their awareness of current surgical issues.

Jason

Jason, it sounds like Scholl College has many resources for producing quality foot surgeons - more than I had realized from reading through the College website.

Appreciate it,
Josh

Interested in learning more about Podiatric Medicine and Rosalind Franklin University? Join us on Tuesday, April 5th, from 3-6 pm for the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine Open House. Meet faculty, staff, and current students and learn what it means to be a Podiatric Physician and how Rosalind Franklin University can help you enter the profession. End the night with a tour of campus and the Foot and Ankle Clinic led by faculty members. Register at rosalindfranklin.edu/WhyPodiatry or call 847-578-8483.

At their annual fundraising event to help benefit scholarships the Alumni raised $60,000! In addition to this, they gained two pieces of surgical equipment to help Scholl students in their surgical skills lab.
Hey everyone!

Scholl just came out with an official press release in regards to the amount raised by the Alumni a few weeks ago. Please see the attached document to get a more in-depth look at the event held on March 4th.

Thanks.
Jason

Attachments

• 11_release_scpm_alumni_benefit_032111.docx
    192 KB · Views: 47
For all of you living in North Carolina, I will be recruiting at the NC Health Career Expo Tour next week. This event will bring me to several schools over the course of 4 days:

-NC State: Monday, March 28 from Noon - 4 PM Talley Student Center
-UNC Chapel Hill: Tuesday, March 29 from 10 AM - 3 PM Student Union
-Duke: Tuesday, March 29 from 6 - 8:00 PM Bryan Center
-ECU: Wed. March 30 from 10 AM - 2 PM Mendenhall Student Center
-UNC Wilmington: Wed. March 30 from 6-7:30 PM Computer Information Systems building
-Wake Forest: Thursday, March 31 from 11 - 3:00 Bridger Field House
-UNC Charlotte: Thursday, March 31 from 6-7:15 PM Cone University Center

Hope to see you there!

Jason

jdog410,

Sorry that it has taken awhile to get back to you on this question:

You should be able to access internet games through your browser as you would anywhere, there are some exceptions, if you are unable to access a certain game you will have to talk to the helpdesk directly. From the response I got back it seems that problems can occur for several different reasons, in which the helpdesk will step in and figure it out. Hope this answered it.

Jason

Thanks The Real Scholl for all the important info regarding Scholl. I am a perspective pod student who is really interested in attending Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine. I just wanted to know more about the new panel interview system which Scholl just adopted. I get really nervous during the interview. How long is the interview? Is it open profile or closed profile. What kind of questions does the committee asks?? How can one best prepare for the interview?? How much emphasizes does the committee put on the interview of a candidate? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance!

I'm really interested in podiatry school, but have just recently learned about it about a year and a half ago. I've always known I wanted to go into medicine (without knowing which field), so med school has been my goal for several years. As I learn more and more about pod school, it seems equally, if not more appealing.

My question is, how do you look at applicants that apply for both pod and med schools? I know many people think if a premed is applying for pod they're doing it as a back up. I think for me, it would be more of a way to keep my options open.

thanks!

I wanted to know what the attrition rate at scholl (give me the class size in accordance with the attrition rate because i am assuming its 100-105).

i wanted to know if you are really reducing the class size, what the new class size?

I was going to retake the mcat to get a higher score since my gpa is lower, but if I want to be applyng early what is the latest mcat you recommend should i take.