Questions about Scholl College

• Thread starter The Real Scholl
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

The Real Scholl

Hi everyone,

My name is Mandy and I work for Scholl College in the office of admissions. I wanted to post here to see if I can help answer questions as you begin the application process.

What I intend to do is provide real and honest answers for students going through the application process – or investigating the career choice! What I won’t do is speak about any of the other colleges or programs; nor will I help you rank the colleges. This is the research you will have to do on your own.

Let me know how I can help!

Cheers,
Mandy
Student Recruitment
Scholl College
www.RFUpodiatry.com

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools are different, but how heavily is the MCAT weighted in admission decisions? I have good grades, but standardized tests and I don't have a good record. I don't want that to make or break my dream.

We really do look at many facets - not just your MCAT score(s). A higher than average GPA can often off-set a lower than average MCAT (or a bad section of the MCAT). And, more importantly, your letter from the DPM whom you have shadowed! Demonstrate to the Admissions Commitee that you have prepared for a career in podiatry -- that will often close the gap for a lower than average score.

Members don't see this ad :)
We really do look at many facets - not just your MCAT score(s). A higher than average GPA can often off-set a lower than average MCAT (or a bad section of the MCAT). And, more importantly, your letter from the DPM whom you have shadowed! Demonstrate to the Admissions Commitee that you have prepared for a career in podiatry -- that will often close the gap for a lower than average score.

What were the entrance stats (MCAT & GPA) for the most recent class. Someone said a 27 MCAT score, but I find it hard to believe.

Thanks

The newest class (Class of 2013) isn't seated yet... we start on Aug 17. So, these #s come from the Class of 2012:
Average MCAT 25, no individual score lower than 5, writing = O
Average overall GPA (undergrad) 3.30
Average Sci (undergrad) 3.10

Give me a few weeks and I'll have #s for 2013 ready.

I heard from a student at scholl that 88% of the class of 2011 passed part 1 of the boards. Is that true?

Thank you for the info. Scholl is my #1 choice right now.

I heard from a student at scholl that 88% of the class of 2011 passed part 1 of the boards. Is that true?

Yo I heard that too. It's lower than I expected...didn't it used to be 95% consistently???

I haven't heard it officially (i.e. at a meeting!), but yes, I believe it's close to that number. I know it was higher than the national average... Historically, we have a 92% passing rate for NPMB I at Scholl College! I think it's our innovative and intense curriculum that prepares students so well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the info. Scholl is my #1 choice right now.

I'm glad Scholl is your #1 choice! I hope as you are applying over the next several months we continue to prove we have an outstanding program!

If you are interested in reading about current students, check out our blog at: http://rfupodiatry.com/blogs.html

I just talked to the folks at CLEAR and I think they are going to be contributing to the blogs about the current research! Yeah, CLEAR!!!
MM

Hello Mandy,

I have a question regarding letters of reference. When I ask a podiatrist that I have been shadowing to write me a reference letter, is there an official evaluation form that he needs to fill out through Scholl? Or does the Dr. just send it in as a normal letter to the office of admissions?

Thank you

Hello Mandy,

I have a question regarding letters of reference. When I ask a podiatrist that I have been shadowing to write me a reference letter, is there an official evaluation form that he needs to fill out through Scholl? Or does the Dr. just send it in as a normal letter to the office of admissions?

Thank you

also to add on to his question could we add the letter to our pre-med committee letters?

Re: LOR

Morning everyone! I think I plan to be on first thing in the AM (while drinking coffee! yes, I am a starbucks addict) and I'll try to check it before I leave in the afternoon. If you ever want to PM, feel free.

Our preference, in this order, is:
1. Committee Letter submitted via Interfolio or VE with your DPM recommendation included. This completes the application the quickest.
2. Committee Letter hard copy mailed with your DPM letter included. Application complete at that point.
3. Three faculty letters submitted by Interfolio or VE and your DPM hard copy mailed.
4. Three faculty letters and your DPM letter all mailed seperately.

If you are submitted your letters seperately, we'll consider your application complete when the faculty letters are in your file; the DPM letter may arrive after your invitation to interview, BUT WE PREFER IT BEFORE!

Also, if you are in a situation where the three faculty letters are impossible to get (you know if you fall into this category.. as in, you've been out of school for a decade or so) call or email our office. We are usually able to help you find other folks who can provide us with the references we seek.

Thanks for all the great questions!
MM

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Mandy,

Thank you

Nope! No form.. a letter on letterhead with your name included in the reference or body of the letter and signed is what we are looking for... oh, and something about how you are well suited for the profession and that you are a great candidate!

Hi Mandy,

I was wondering how hard is it for an Canadian to get a visa (most likely H1B) for residency after completing the 4 years.

Also, have you had any Canadians enrolling in your school?

Scholl has a ton of Canadian students! Okay, not a literal ton, but many and from different provinces...

That said, our Canadian students do have a different set of hurdles when looking at residency, but nothing that can't be overcome with a little planning. First, you HAVE to find a hospital system that is willing to issue the work visas (which almost eliminates the VA system, but not entirely) and you have to be flexible in your geographic desires for those three years. After that, you can feel free to relocate back to your Canadian province or work in a US border town and live in Canada. Lots of options. If you want, PM me and I will put you in contact with two or three of our students so you can chat directly with them.

As an aside, I had a chance to meet many Scholl Alum who are practicing in Canada while at the APMA meeting last week... They loved that they had a chance to see old friends and faculty during the meeting. What a great bunch of docs!

Re: LOR

Our preference, in this order, is:
1. Committee Letter submitted via Interfolio or VE with your DPM recommendation included. This completes the application the quickest.
2. Committee Letter hard copy mailed with your DPM letter included. Application complete at that point.
3. Three faculty letters submitted by Interfolio or VE and your DPM hard copy mailed.
4. Three faculty letters and your DPM letter all mailed seperately.

Okay all,
So here is a very common question I get... probably my #1 most FAQ: If I am submitting individual letters, can my advisor write a letter of rec and can I use that instead of ONE faculty letter?

A. YES, Oui, ja si... We LOVE to see letters from pre-health/med advisors! They most often have seen your growth, potential and determination for a career in medicine develop over time... that is very valuable information, people. Don't discount it! Your pre-health/med advisor attends HOURS of training to learn how to write letters for med/pod/ost applications... take advantage of that!

Just don't forget that you'll need two more faculty letters, preferably from your SCI faculty, to complete your app. If you are submitting your committee letter, it's probably authored by your advisor any way!

Hope that clears some things up!

Mandy
www.RFUpodiatry.com see what others are saying!

Hello!

I have a question, I was a pre-med student and I decided to go into Podiatry school.

I have DAT AA 17 and TS 18 and my GPA is 3.56 overall and 3.5 science. I wanted to ask if I am a good candidate for your school.

Also, can I send a LOR with 3 faculty members along with a physician..I will find a Podiatrist and will ask him for the recommendation as well.

I would really appreciate if you can reply..
Thanks!

Hi Mandy
My Gpa is ~3.1
sGPA ~2.9-3.0

MCAT: V-5, P-7, B-8 Writing: R

Volunteering for ~1.5 years
Shadowed an MD and DPM and still doing all three.

What are my chances at your school and if you can give me some feedback if you know about the others.
Thanks.

i was wondering how long it would take for people to start asking "what are my chances" directly. I guess it took 18 posts.

Hi Mandy
My Gpa is ~3.1
sGPA ~2.9-3.0

What are my chances at your school and if you can give me some feedback if you know about the others.
Thanks.

Your chances are low kind sir, mediocre GPA combined with a low MCAT (awful verbal and overall 5 points below Scholl's average). Apply early, that may give you a chance.

Re DAT takers --

Scholl College DOES NOT accept the DAT anymore! So, if you are planning to apply you'll need to investigate taking the MCAT and get seated for a fall or winter exam.

If we don't see a pending MCAT date on your application, we're likely not going to review it until we know when you are taking the exam. Scholl requires you take the exam before May 2010 to be considered for the Class of 2014; that said, I recommend a fall or winter exam to be safe.

MM

Hi Mandy
My Gpa is ~3.1
sGPA ~2.9-3.0

Thanks.

Great question!

So, we're going to be looking at your personal statement really close - since there is a bit of a discrepancy in your VR and your writing score (see, I told you all VR is important!) ...we're going to try and figure out the answer to that question.

Yes, your overall MCAT is lower than average and your GPA is right in the middle of the pack.. this is a case, where, if invited to interview, you'd better be on your game and know why you a pursuing a career in podiatry and, specifically, why you want to come to Scholl. Awesome answers these two questions will impress the interview panel and give you a chance.

MM

Hi guys,

So, we're really excited about our new website www.RFUpodiatry.com where we can host student blogs, post current students answers to FAQs and show off our campus through the photo gallery... tell me, what do you think about our new site?

Q1 Do we provide information you think is useful?
Q2 Is it layed out in a way that makes it easy to find information?
Q3 Do you think the blogs are useful and fun to read?
Q4 Does it give you an idea of what its going to be like as student living in N Chicago attending RFUMS?

Any feedback (and constructive criticism!) is welcome!

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

I'm getting 2 letters of rec from science professors as well as a podiatrist I've shadowed. I know its not necessary, but I'm also getting a letter of rec from my PI, because I worked in her lab for 2 years in college. She wants to know what the requirements/guidelines for the letter are. Can you give me a short outline on how it should be structured? Thank you!

Mandy,

Could you please elaborate on how Scholl College handles Advanced Placement (AP) credits.

Thank you!

Hi Mandy,

I'm getting 2 letters of rec from science professors as well as a podiatrist I've shadowed. I know its not necessary, but I'm also getting a letter of rec from my PI, because I worked in her lab for 2 years in college. She wants to know what the requirements/guidelines for the letter are. Can you give me a short outline on how it should be structured? Thank you!

Sure!

Generally speaking, the letter should include for how long and in what capacity she knows you. Then, she should elaborate on how much interaction she had with you for the duration she's known you (did you work with her every day, once a week, primarily with her grad assistant, etc.).

Then she should describe what qualities you possess that will make you a good podiatric physician... a great letter includes an example of you demonstrating this quality...

If possible, this letter should be on her University letterhead or her Labs letterhead and signed, delivered to us in a sealed envelope directed.

Hope that helps!
MM

Mandy,

Could you please elaborate on how Scholl College handles Advanced Placement (AP) credits.

Thank you!

So.. generally speaking, English AP credit is acceptable for the pre-req. Likely you don't have enough AP credit to meet the 6 hours required, so make sure you are taking an additional course. I'm probably going to scrutinize your Comm, Speech and Lit grades a little bit harder just to make sure you know how to write/communicate, etc. Again, your VR score is helpful in this matter, too.

For AP credits in Bio, Chem and Phys... The Admissions Committee is going to look to see what you have done, above and beyond, those AP credits to advance your training in that area. Sure, you may have been able to skip Chem I, but we want to see that you added to your schedule an equally rigorous science class in it's place!

Hi guys,

So, we're really excited about our new website www.RFUpodiatry.com where we can host student blogs, post current students answers to FAQs and show off our campus through the photo gallery... tell me, what do you think about our new site?

Q1 Do we provide information you think is useful?
Q2 Is it layed out in a way that makes it easy to find information?
Q3 Do you think the blogs are useful and fun to read?
Q4 Does it give you an idea of what its going to be like as student living in N Chicago attending RFUMS?

Any feedback (and constructive criticism!) is welcome!

Mandy

1. Yes, there is a lot of useful information on the site. There is good information in the catalog that you have a link for as well!

2. Yes, it was very easy to navigate. I'm not computer savvy and had no problems at all.

3. I didn't read the blogs--see above as to why ;)

4. Yes, it does give an idea of what to expect--as well as it can. I imagine it's hard to really understand the scope of material and how difficult courses might be until it's experienced. Also, I did enjoy the youtube video. :)

Anyway, I thought I would reply since you asked for opinions. I've been reading the site for awhile and thought this would be a good to make my first post!

Hi! I just got my MCAT scores back, and got a VR:6 BS:8 PS:7 and Writing: O. I have a 3.24 cGPA and a sGPA of 3.0. My first year of undergrad was not good, but I have had a much better soph. and jr. year. I would like to know if I would be a competitive student while applying to your school. Please let me know, and please be as truthful as possible! Thanks!!!

Hi! I just got my MCAT scores back, and got a VR:6 BS:8 PS:7 and Writing: O. I have a 3.24 cGPA and a sGPA of 3.0. My first year of undergrad was not good, but I have had a much better soph. and jr. year. I would like to know if I would be a competitive student while applying to your school. Please let me know, and please be as truthful as possible! Thanks!!!

Another great question!

This is a really good time to talk about "GPA Trending." We use this method when we see a really bad start in your frosh and soph years, but then pull your act together in your jr and sr years. You can look at your own trend by examining your cGPA and sGPA semester (or quarter) by semester to see if your GPA is going up each semester after your "bad" semester. Are you consistently increasing? If so, good. We'll take note of that, too.

I know how hard it is to recover an overall GPA once you have a bad start. If you are doing the work to pull yourself out of that hole, we're going to notice. But, do not take this as a license to blow off your first year! It takes WAY more work to recover a GPA than it does to maintain it.

Got it?

MM

I actually had the following question posted in a new thread, but after reading your reply about GPA trends I thought I would ask it here, hopefully that's ok. Anyway, here it is.......

I took the MCAT and got a 7-7-7 :( My science GPA is a 3.17 and my cumulative GPA is 2.98. My junior and senior year GPA's were 3.49 and 3.63 respectively. My first two years were pretty horrid, obviuosly. I worked during my first two years an average of 55 hours per week. My last two years I worked 35 hours/week. So, although I took harder classes my last two years, my GPA was quite a bit higher due to more time to study and developing better study habits. Anyway, considering my GPA, do you all feel that I need to retake the MCAT? I have a horrible feeling that I'll need to, but it would be nice to hear others thoughts on the matter!

I'm sure the responses could depend on which schools I'm considering--My top choice is Scholl, followed by DMU.

Thanks!

With scores like Pod4Real, how high of a MCAT score would be needed to be considered competitive?

Hi The Real Scholl,

I hate to do another "what are my chances" post but im really curious about my status. I am graduating from UCI this summer with a B.A. in Social Ecology, and I plan to apply to POD schools in September for the 2010 matriculation. I have done two years of extensive biomedical research and shadowed two different PODS for around 30 hours (and couting). One of the Poditatrists already offered me a letter of rec and she is a graduate from Scholl (I dont know if that means anything but just FYI). I have not taken the MCAT yet (planning to take in Jan) and I was wondering about the score on the MCAT that could make me a competitive applicant? I am also planning to take anatomy, biochem, physics and two chem labs next year at a community college. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi again! This may sound like a dumb question, but in regards to the "personal statement," where and when can we find on what topic we should write about. I understand it should include why I want to be a podiatrist, and some info about myself, but should there be anything more specific?

I actually had the following question posted in a new thread, but after reading your reply about GPA trends I thought I would ask it here, hopefully that's ok. Anyway, here it is.......

I worked during my first two years an average of 55 hours per week. My last two years I worked 35 hours/week. So, although I took harder classes my last two years, my GPA was quite a bit higher due to more time to study and developing better study habits. Anyway, considering my GPA, do you all feel that I need to retake the MCAT? I have a horrible feeling that I'll need to, but it would be nice to hear others thoughts on the matter!

I'm sure the responses could depend on which schools I'm considering--My top choice is Scholl, followed by DMU.

Thanks!

Yeah! I'm glad SCPM is one of your top choices! We have many opportunities to offer to students and I think you'll find we have the best package all around: Highest Board Passing Rates, 90% PM&S 36 Residency Placement Rates and a zero percent financial aid default rate!

Okay, on to your question... so, let's talk about having to work, or being involved in community service, research, internships and other meaningful extra-curricular (yes, collegiate sports included). You simply _have to put these things on your application_ otherwise how will we know that you worked 30-50 hours per week while trying to take a full time course load?? Or, that you volunteered 30 hours a week at a homeless shelter? You have to communicate this to our Admissions Committee and the vehicle you use is the application and personal statement (more on the PS a little later).

When we know the context of your GPA, it often allows us to see that you as a whole person (not just a set of numbers). Many of you have these very intense situations that complicate your undergraduate experience (caring for ailing parents or grandparents, taking care of siblings, etc.) that you need to be able to share with us so we understand you better. When you don't disclose this information, you are basically asking the AC to evaluate you in a complete vacuum. Don't do that to yourself. Don't whine, tho!!

My best advice to you regarding your MCAT and a possible retake... and this goes to ALL OF YOU... Our average 25 is made up of BOTH higher and lower scores... BUT, our scholarship offers are based both on merit and academics. MCATs higher than 25 can get you in the pool for 1/2 tuition scholarship consideration. It's not the only thing we look at, but it will get you in the pool of candidates considered...

Do what you will with that information.

MM

Thanks so much for the reply and information/thoughts. It's appreciated! :)

Hi again! This may sound like a dumb question, but in regards to the "personal statement," where and when can we find on what topic we should write about. I understand it should include why I want to be a podiatrist, and some info about myself, but should there be anything more specific?

More about personal statements, as promised.

I and all of my pod colleagues know that your PS is going to be a generic statement that will be submitted on your common application and submitted to all of us.. that said, please do not make the mistake of starting your PS with, "I've always wanted to attend Scholl College because..." because my colleagues at the other colleges you are applying to will laugh... and I laugh when I read one that starts.."Temple is my top choice..." Don't be that applicant!

So, what do you say when you can't be specific? Above, I started to elaborate on the things that make you a unique candidate... working, research, other extra-curriculars; taking care of ailing parents, siblings, etc. These specifics are part of WHO you are.. and above all else, when I invite you possibly become a member of our family as a student, I want to know that you are a decent, caring individual who is seeking a career in med, specifically pod med, for the right reasons.

Communicate this in your statement. Tell me about the exact moment you KNEW you had to be a physician and then how you discovered podiatry. Tell me how you developed yourself for that career (go beyond shadowing-- everyone has to do that)... but pick a moment (maybe it was your own personal experience with a DPM due to an injury, etc.) that has stuck with you... what has been your motivation!?

Now, I will say this: If there is a reason you need to be in Chicago for your studies, you are most welcome to write an additional letter for your application that is detailed and specific to your reasons for wanting/needing to be at Scholl (family, spouse, whatever). You may address this letter to the Admissions Commitee and email it to our office or submit it in hard copy. THIS IS NOT REQUIRED, however. I simply offer it to you or anyone who has a specific need they wish to communicate!

Helpful? Let me know if you need more...

M

Hi The Real Scholl,

I hate to do another "what are my chances" post but im really curious about my status....

...I have not taken the MCAT yet (planning to take in Jan) and I was wondering about the score on the MCAT that could make me a competitive applicant? I am also planning to take anatomy, biochem, physics and two chem labs next year at a community college. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

So, two things. I KNOW taking CC classes is less expensive and easier... and perfectly acceptable for admissions, but may I offer a little advice? If at all possible, plan to take a few of those remaining sci pre-reqs at the university level. Specifically, anatomy and biochem.

Now, before you jump on me and say, "but that's not what the other school's say", or that "CC classes are just as rigorous as university level classes" (I've heard it all, and I understand where you are coming from), but I want to offer advice that will make you competitive for Scholl (not just get you admitted to any ol' college)(again, do with this information what you want..)

Ok, now that I have that out of my system... MCAT. Really? You guys still don't trust me when I say that our average 25 is made up of both higher and lower scores?? How about this... the most common occurring MCAT score for the class of 2013 was 21 (and yes, our average is still about 25 this year... still working out the exact stats...). Last year, the most common occurring MCAT was 27. These things change from year to year depending on the applicant pool.

So, aim for a 25. If you do better, fab. If you do worse, it's not the end of the world. Our admissions committee is concerned with scores below 20/21.
M

Hello Mandy,

I know that many of the Podiatry schools allow prospective students to come in to visit the school, get a tour, and talk with an admissions faculty member before applying. Is this something that gives a student an edge over other applicants because they are showing interest and meeting people at the school? Also, does Scholl still offer tours/meetings before the next cycle begins?

Hello Mandy, I have a question with admissions that I am really concerned about this upcoming semester. I would appreciate some advice, especially since you are connected with scholl college which is my number 1 choice. I have about a 3.4 overall gpa, 3.0 science gpa going into my senior year. But heres the problem, I took the MCAT this past july and I recieved my scores a few days ago and I only got a 19. I was shocked with my score because I thought I would score higher.

I have recommendation letters from 2 podiatrists, an acedemic advisor, and 2 teachers which shoud be at scholl within 2-3 weeks. If I apply extremely early like the first few weeks in september, would I have a chance? If you get rejected, but retake the mcat in jan, can you re-apply in the same cycle if you have higher MCAT scores/gpa? Thank you.

Hello Mandy,

I know that many of the Podiatry schools allow prospective students to come in to visit the school, get a tour, and talk with an admissions faculty member before applying. Is this something that gives a student an edge over other applicants because they are showing interest and meeting people at the school? Also, does Scholl still offer tours/meetings before the next cycle begins?

Yes, Scholl College does have individual advising appointments that we run from May to September (so you'd better get in quick!) for candidates to the college. Once the portal opens and we start receiving applications, we discontinue individual appointments. An individual appointment consists of a general overview of the admissions process, a review of the curriculum and, if you bring an unofficial transcript, a pre-req review. Most often, there is also a student led tour of the academic facilities before you are finished.

Appointments are available most days, M-F at either 10AM or 2PM and you must call to make an appointment. 800-843-3059 x2 Unfortunately, I discourage dropping in as I can not promise that I or my staff are in the office.

Does making an appointment make you a more "impressive" candidate..? Not necessarily. I've developed great relationships with great candidates whom I have only "met" over phone calls and emails. If you are the type of candidate who needs to see a place before you can invision applying here, take advantage of our offer to visit. Or, go online and meet some of our students at www.RFUpodiatry.com or at our facebook admissions page. But, if you live far away, don't hesitate to pick up the phone and just call... I'm always willing to chat with a candidate about what it's like to move here, survive midwest winters and be a student at SCPM!

MM

Hello Mandy, I have a question with admissions that I am really concerned about this upcoming semester.

I have recommendation letters from 2 podiatrists, an acedemic advisor, and 2 teachers which shoud be at scholl within 2-3 weeks. If I apply extremely early like the first few weeks in september, would I have a chance? If you get rejected, but retake the mcat in jan, can you re-apply in the same cycle if you have higher MCAT scores/gpa? Thank you.

Great question! So, let's talk about retakes on the MCAT. I've mentioned to folks before that the AC (admissions committee) is concerned about scores below 20/21 and our average is 25. So, we already know a score in the high teens is lower than average score. If want to be competitive for SCPM, you will want to think about re-taking the exam in January. If the AC sees that you are committed to retaking that exam (make sure you list it on the application!), they might grant you an interview if you are applying early enough in the process. Bring your A Game to the interview in this case. You'd better have a darn good reason why you want to attend Scholl College.

If you decide to re-take it, even bringing your score up by a point or two will enhance your application and if possibly even get you a small scholarship.

Hope this helps!
Mandy

Hi everyone,

We're gearing up for the new application service to come on-line in early September. Does anyone have any questions about the way our common application will work next year? Let me know.

And, don't forget... you'll need to send your official transcripts (ALL of them, even the community college transcripts with that one class on it) to the application service this year. Your transcripts wil be verified and then submitted to our office where we will match your application to your LOR.

The address you'll use is:

AACPMAS
PO Box 9200
Watertown, MA 02471

"In the meantime, we strongly encourage you to begin the application process by having your transcripts sent to the service. This will facilitate the prompt processing of your completed 2010 AACPMAS application" to quote AACPMAS.

Also, if you have your letters, feel free to start sending them to our office:

Scholl College Admissions
3333 Green Bay Rd
North Chicago, IL 60064

We'll hold your materials until we've received your application. Once complete, we take about 48-72 hours to review and determine if you are eligible for an interview.

Scholl College will start the interview process on October 8, 2009 this year (pending we've recieved enough complete apps and have extended interview invitations - this is a new process for us, too, so please be patient). We expect to host interviews on Thursdays and the first Friday of each month.

Let me know if you have any questions!
MM

Hi Mandy,

My MCAT score will not be out until Oct 13th. Will the AC wait until then to review my file? Thank you!

Yeah! I'm glad SCPM is one of your top choices! We have many opportunities to offer to students and I think you'll find we have the best package all around: Highest Board Passing Rates, 90% PM&S 36 Residency Placement Rates and a zero percent financial aid default rate!

Okay, on to your question... so, let's talk about having to work, or being involved in community service, research, internships and other meaningful extra-curricular (yes, collegiate sports included). You simply _have to put this things on your application_ otherwise how will we know that you worked 30-50 hours per week while trying to take a full time course load?? Or, that you volunteered 30 hours a week at a homeless shelter? You have to communicate this to our Admissions Committee and the vehicle you use is the application and personal statement (more on the PS a little later).

When we know the context of your GPA, it often allows us to see that you as a whole person (not just a set of numbers). Many of you have these very intense situations that complicate your undergraduate experience (caring for ailing parents or grandparents, taking care of siblings, etc.) that you need to be able to share with us so we understand you better. When you don't disclose this information, you are basically asking the AC to evaluate you in a complete vacuum. Don't do that to yourself. Don't whine, tho!!

My best advice to you regarding your MCAT and a possible retake... and this goes to ALL OF YOU... Our average 25 is made up of BOTH higher and lower scores... BUT, our scholarship offers are based both on merit and academics. MCATs higher than 25 can get you in the pool for 1/2 tuition scholarship consideration. It's not the only thing we look at, but it will get you in the pool of candidates considered...

Do what you will with that information.

MM

Thanks for the advice Mandy, it's appreciated! After discussing the matter with my husband I have decided against a retake. Our current budget does not allow for me to take any kind of prep course, so I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to improve my score significantly. I basically just used my old college text books to study for the MCAT, and since that is what I would use again, I just don't see the outcome being a substantial improvement.

Anyway, I know my score is on the low side, and it does worry me. But without being able to get additional study material I worry that I could score worse, which I would really hate.

All of that said though ;) I am still going to apply and hope for the best! I suppose if it doesn't happen this year then at least we'll have more time to save up enough that I can hopefully get some better material to aid me in the MCAT process!

Thanks again for all of your help and information, it's appreciated! :thumbup:

Hi Mandy,

My MCAT score will not be out until Oct 13th. Will the AC wait until then to review my file? Thank you!

Maybe. I know that answer isn't helpful, but here are the questions you should be asking yourself: Is your overall and sci GPA above average? Have you completed shadowing of a DPM and will provide this letter with your application? Are your letter of rec solid and from science faculty? If your answers to these questions aren't favorable, then, yes, we might wait until we see your scores. If the answers are favorable, then you might get reviewed a head of time.

Hope that helps.
MM

Hi,

I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out who to get LOR's from. The school I am going to is huge and many of my classes were taught by TAs or Professors who only taught part of the class. So far I really have only one letter. Do I really need all 3 letters to be considered?

Thank you so much!

Hi,

I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out who to get LOR's from. The school I am going to is huge and many of my classes were taught by TAs or Professors who only taught part of the class. So far I really have only one letter. Do I really need all 3 letters to be considered?

Thank you so much!

Yes. Your application is not considered complete until we have received, at minimum, three letters.

So, the problem now becomes, "whom shall you ask?" Let's start with some more of the obvious opportunities: your major advisor, your pre-health advisor, any TA who is in the process of obtaining his/her PhD (yes, these work quite well. Often, they know you from small section lectures, right??), any faculty who taught you in a lab setting, or an AED (Tri Beta or other pre-health careers) group or club advisor.

Other options include your supervisor for your on-campus part-time job, your coach for organized sports, the nurse whom you reported to during your volunteer job at the hospital, or a health professional mentor.

Try to refrain from using personal references like your pastor or your mom (we know she loves you) - even if she is a health professional. Also, just some general advice for the casual reader: I personally do not like to read letters that recommend you to other professions like law school. It's a personal preference... I feel that if I am going to invest the time to read your application, you ought to be able to invest the time to update your letters for the application and profession.

We want to see an academic evaluation of your skills, primarily. If you have exhausted all of your academic choices, revert to professional references next.

If you still don't see any options listed above (and this list is NOT exhausted by any means!) call our office for some specific guidance for your situation.

Hope that helps!
MM