Questions about Scholl College

• Thread starter The Real Scholl
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah!!! I'm so glad you feel better and have stopped thinking of yourself as just a set of walking numbers, Epona82!! Tell us this story about yourself in your application... this is exactly what I have been talking about in previous posts. I hope Scholl College is at the top of your "apply to" list now!

Scholl HAS been my #1 pick from the very beginning. I'm originally from Chicago and I'm ready to go back home! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mandy,

I'm interested in applying next fall, but one question I have is whether or not Scholl accepts community college credits? Additionally, what are the chances of one getting into Scholl with an Associates Degree but without a Bachelors?

Hi Mandy,

I'm interested in applying next fall, but one question I have is whether or not Scholl accepts community college credits? Additionally, what are the chances of one getting into Scholl with an Associates Degree but without a Bachelors?

Hi there nicolesm,

I am so excited you are planning to apply next fall! Whoo-hooo! Tentatively, the application service should open on August 2, 2010 for the fall 2011 class. Now is a great time to start sending in your letters of recommendations to our office!

Scholl absolutely accepts community college credits from accredited two-year schools (this would include most all of your state junior colleges where you can earn an associate’s degree). What I would look for in an applicant in your situation is something like this: you took Bio 1 and Bio 2 at the CC and then took Micro, Anatomy or Genetics at the university level. I want to see not only that you have completed courses at the CC, but then you went on to take upper division courses at the university level… and challenged yourself!
Now, if you do not plan to earn the baccalaureate degree, it’s typically not a problem – so long as you have amassed 90 semester hours or more… with 30 credits at the university level (my recommended minimum!) when you are applying. Are you skipping your senior year or just a few credits shy of the degree?
I would estimate about 3% of my in-coming class has not earned the BA or BS for one reason or another… those 2-3 students usually find that, in the final degree audit, they’ve missed an elective or, due to a major change, they can’t get the final classes in time to graduate from their school. Scholl College offers a BS in Biomedical Science that our students who haven’t already earned a BS or BA in Biology may apply for at the end of the P1 year!
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Best,
Mandy
(oh! And for those of you following, my email address has changed to [email protected] - feel free to email me here if you have any other questions!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear nicolemsm,

If I were you, I would not choose Scholl. They are not respectful nor are they truly concerned about your future. Once they have you signed on the dotted line, they could care less how well you do academically. The administration does not listen to legitimate concerns that should require action. The professors are allowed to "choose" who will do well in their courses. If you have any other options, I would seriously consider them. DMU and AZPOD are both reputable schools.

Dear nicolemsm,

If I were you, I would not choose Scholl. They are not respectful nor are they truly concerned about your future. Once they have you signed on the dotted line, they could care less how well you do academically. The administration does not listen to legitimate concerns that should require action. The professors are allowed to "choose" who will do well in their courses. If you have any other options, I would seriously consider them. DMU and AZPOD are both reputable schools.

just quoting this just in case "tired of it" decides to edit his/her post in the future.

Dear nicolemsm,

Hi Tired of it,
I appreciate your saying this… maybe not in this specific forum, but none-the-less, I do appreciate your comment. You are not the first student to bring issues like this to my attention - and what I would really like is to have a knockdown, drag ‘em out discussion with you about “what’s wrong at Scholl.” I know I have my personal opinions about what we could and should do better, but I need input from students like you so that I can better serve current and in-coming students. I also hope you know that I will share your thoughts with the Associate Dean and the senior faculty - the folks who I perceive as having the power to make relevant changes to the next year's class. So, this is an open invitation… come by my office, call me or send me a PM if you don’t trust me to keep your identity private, tho I will.
There's a lot more to my answer than what I am willing to put into writing here… this isn’t the proper forum for it. I also think you know that what I'm going to say isn't going to be candy coated. I also hope you take my answers in the context of which they are given.

I hope you believe that I care about what’s concerning you; otherwise, what’s the point of posting here. You may not recognize the caliber of your entire class right now, but you will see firsthand what I am talking about when you are out in your first rotations away from the College. You came to Scholl because we offered you a challenge. We offered you an opportunity to be the best. If a year from now you still feel the same way, then we'll both go have a long talk with the Dean!

Does Scholl have problems? Certainly, we have growing pains. But to say that the faculty doesn’t care isn't correct. I've been sitting in meetings with these very people listening to them voice their frustrations for the last two years...They, just as much as you, want you to succeed - not only as a student, but as a practicing DPM. I know you feel powerless right now, but, if you trust me, you will know that you are getting the best education available to you. Is it tough? Of course. It wouldn't mean anything to you if it wasn't. And, unless you've been moonlighting as a DMU or AZPod student for the last two years, I don't really think you can honestly say one school is better than another - from your point of view.

Hang in there... I know you are looking at the light at end of the tunnel as being so far away you can't see the end. While whatever is upsetting to you right now seems epic, I swear 10 years from now you will look back at your time at Scholl and remember only the best parts of it. The last few weeks - ok, months - have been tough. But, you will start to see the advantages and opportunities offered to you as a Scholl student in the next 6-9 months as you are transitioning into the clincial phase of education!

For everyone else, have a great weekend and remember, our offices are closed on Monday for the holiday! Happy and Safe Memorial Day fun to you all!
Best
Mandy

Wow just noticed the Scholl bashers have infiltrated the scholl thread instead of creating a new one. Guys really? I think a lot of people are tired of it. I understand it's fun to put down a school anonymously but until you guys provide some actual evidence of scholl being a terrible
school no one is going to take any of you or what you say seriously. Your just stating opinions and repeating hearesay. Thanks.

Happy Summer! Happy Graduation! It's a great time of year, no?

For those of you interested, I just posted a blog at http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=304 about Residency Outlook for the class of 2010 and future graduates of the profession. If you enjoy a good economics+history discussion, I think you'll enjoy this post. It's good information... even if it is summer and you don't want to use your noodle for the next three months!

If you are wrapping up your application for fall 2010 - you'd better hurry! The last day to submit your application will be June 30. For fall 2011'ers, you can get the new application on August 2nd. We will have a few new tweaks in the 2011 application and I'll share them with you as soon as I have all of the facts... around mid to late July.

Enjoy your summer break! I'm around all summer, so don't hesitate to email if you have a question.

Mandy

Happy Summer Vacation! For those of you in the really hot parts of the country, I hope your AC is working! For the rest of us, were summer has just arrived, I hope your summer is fill with popsicles and long, warm days.

Looking for something to do while you are awaiting the Aug 2nd application portal launch date? Now is a great time to set up shadowing time with a DPM. I've just posted a blog about "how to shadow" at http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=337. Feel free to read - and if you have any comments, post them or contact me directly!

Cheers,
Mandy

Hey MusicManMike - great that you are shadowing a SCPM alum! What's been your favorite experience shadowing so far?

Hi all and especially The Real Scholl,

Here is a brief story. I'm going into my senior year at a private university in SoCal. Ive always been premed because, simply, medicine fascinates me on daily basis:). However, at the beginning of this year I started to realize that one day I want to have a wife and kids (and I dont want my wife to run off on me one day cuz Im never home) so I considered other medical professions like DPT. After much though, however, I could not be entirely satisfied with the DPT and I went back to pre-med. Im now studying for the MCAT and thats when I descovered podiatry!!!!!!!!!!! This is like the ultimate combination of a great career in medicine and time that could be spent on normal life + I can do surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)) Anyway Im wicked excited:) Btw, Im an international student so I wasn't aware of the existence of DPMs.
Now Im seriously considering podiatry and here are some of my stats:

-MAJOR: biomedical science (and I'm 25)
-GPA: 3.81c, 3.8sci
-Enrolled in the University Honors program
-2.5 years of cancer research (the effect of electric fields on osteosarcoma and brain tumor cells)
- Community Involvement Project vice president
- Student body senator '09-'10
- Freshmen mentor '08-'10
- about 100 volunteer hours at an emergency room
- went on a mission trip to TX (disaster relief team)
- part of pre-med club and international club
- O-Chem TA for 1 year
- Can get awesomr LOR from professors at my school
- worked as a guest relations manager and corporate clients manager back home before I came to the US.

Now, here is the downside.. I took the assessment MCAT 3 weeks ago with KAPLAN and got 16 :scared::scared: My VR is really bad - apparently I cant read fast enough.

So, my question is what would I need to get on the MCAT to be considered competitive for Scholl with my stats? Obviously, I will try to get as high of a score as I could but I just want to be realistic.

If The Real Scholl or anyone else would like to comment or suggest it would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry guys its kinda a long post :(

Now, here is the downside.. I took the assessment MCAT 3 weeks ago with KAPLAN and got 16 :scared::scared: My VR is really bad - apparently I cant read fast enough.

So, my question is what would I need to get on the MCAT to be considered competitive for Scholl with my stats?

The average Kaplan diagnostic score is ~12. So don't worry; you did well for your first stab at it! :cool:

Your GPAs are VERY good, which will no doubt help in applying. As for the MCAT score, aim high! Mid-20s would be great :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ryivnx,
Thanks for the great question! Yeah!! I'm thrilled you've discovered podiatric medicine. You mentioned you discovered while prepping for the MCAT?? How so??
So, to get started, you've been pre-podiatry all along – you just didn't know it. Pre-medical preparation parallels pre-podiatry preparation in that the pre-requisites, volunteer and community service experiences and clinical shadowing are all the same! Cool, huh? The only difference for your podiatry application will be that most schools, like Scholl College, will require you spend time with a DPM as part of your clinical shadowing experiences. Do you have a DPM to shadow? If not, let me know and I'll help you find someone near where you live or go to school. We have TONS of alumni in the SoCal area.
Tackling the MCAT is going to be your next hurdle… and I am afraid to say that being International (non-English speaking that is - Sorry non-French speaking Canadians, you don't have much excuse!) likely means you will struggle on the VR section. This is where two other factors come into play: In your application, we'll also look at the writing score (the alpha score in the MCAT) as well as your personal statement. What we don't want to see is a lot of discrepancy between your test scores and your personal statement. And, please have someone help you edit your personal statement!
Aim for a score in the 22 to 25 O range to have a competitive composite for Scholl College. I also want to reiterate that you are more than what I call "walking numbers!" Yes, you have a great GPA and hopefully, you'll have an awesome MCAT… but as a potential podiatric physician you need to bring more to the table than that!
Scholl College is looking for students with passion, drive and real understanding of what is means to care for the very sick; elderly; rich; children; poor; athletes… We want students who are well rounded, who can communicate effectively with a diverse cross section of the population… we want students who have compassion and dedication. It is how you demonstrate these qualities through your community service projects, shadowing and volunteer projects that you prove yourself to Scholl College. Don't get caught up in the numbers – you're more than that!
Let me know if you have any other questions! And for the rest of you, TGIF! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ryivnx,
Thanks for the great question! Yeah!! I’m thrilled you’ve discovered podiatric medicine. You mentioned you discovered while prepping for the MCAT?? How so??
Do you have a DPM to shadow? If not, let me know and I’ll help you find someone near where you live or go to school. We have TONS of alumni in the SoCal area.

Thank you so much for the reassurance:) Yeah, Im thrilled about the program. Well, I discovered it when one of my friends who's taking the MCAT with me said he wanted to be a podiatrist and I asked: "What is that?" so, thats how I know of you guys:) Im still confused about the residency opportunities though. Can DPMs become internists or emergency medicine or its only limited to the functions of the ankle/foot? I was looking at your curriculum and saw that rotations are done in general medicine, general surgery etc and that is why Im asking. Since I never heard of DPMs I never shadowed one and I don't know anyone around. If you can help me with finding one that would be absolutely fantastic. I live in Riverside, CA.
MCAT is gonna be rough for me, I know it. VR is the toughest among all. I never took any standardized tests in the US so this is the first standardized test I'm ever taking. Back home all examinations are essay form or oral (where u pick a question from a question bank and elaborate on it for 30 minutes or so). I do good in studies - the lowest two grades I have are 3 B+, no W or anything like that. But I guess I needed to spend more time on improving my reading skills of dense material. I think I can do well on the writing sample (since I have to write so much for the Honors program). What do you mean by "have someone check your personal statement"? Do you mean content or grammar or both? Is there a guide to how to write a good personal statement? Oh, one other question is when is the deadline for your school if I want to matriculate for 2011 fall?

Again, thank you for your insightful responses and help.

Have a great weekend:)

Hi again ryivnx,
I have a call out to a few SoCal alumni to see if there is someone in Riverside specifically that I can refer you to – give me the weekend to work on it and I’ll PM you a DPM contact. For the time-being tho, you can refer to this website to start looking at who might be in there are near you: http://www.aacpm.org/contactpod/search.asp?state=ca
For anyone writing a personal statement, a thorough edit can make or break an essay! In this specific instance, ryivnx has “honors professors” who I think would be ideal to edit a personal statement. Any advisor (major or pre-health), English professors or even a roommate (hopefully an English Major!) would work.
Editing a personal statement should be first for grammar and syntax. Make certain you haven’t spell checked your way into something you didn’t intend to say, or that you have correctly used there, they’re or their for example. Once your paper is grammatically correct, start editing for content. You have roughly 35000 characters to tell us something about yourself. Tell us something significant. Tell us something relevant… don’t tell us that you have always wanted to attend Scholl College, because it’s a general application and if you are applying to more than Scholl College, that’s a BIG OOPS. More on personal statements at:
More about personal statements, as promised.

I and all of my pod colleagues know that your PS is going to be a generic statement that will be submitted on your common application and submitted to all of us.. that said, please do not make the mistake of starting your PS with, "I've always wanted to attend Scholl College because..." because my colleagues at the other colleges you are applying to will laugh... and I laugh when I read one that starts.."Temple is my top choice..." Don't be that applicant!

So, what do you say when you can't be specific? Above, I started to elaborate on the things that make you a unique candidate... working, research, other extra-curriculars; taking care of ailing parents, siblings, etc. These specifics are part of WHO you are.. and above all else, when I invite you possibly become a member of our family as a student, I want to know that you are a decent, caring individual who is seeking a career in med, specifically pod med, for the right reasons.

Communicate this in your statement. Tell me about the exact moment you KNEW you had to be a physician and then how you discovered podiatry. Tell me how you developed yourself for that career (go beyond shadowing-- everyone has to do that)... but pick a moment (maybe it was your own personal experience with a DPM due to an injury, etc.) that has stuck with you... what has been your motivation!?

Now, I will say this: If there is a reason you need to be in Chicago for your studies, you are most welcome to write an additional letter for your application that is detailed and specific to your reasons for wanting/needing to be at Scholl (family, spouse, whatever). You may address this letter to the Admissions Commitee and email it to our office or submit it in hard copy. THIS IS NOT REQUIRED, however. I simply offer it to you or anyone who has a specific need they wish to communicate!

Helpful? Let me know if you need more...

M

Have a great weekend!

Just a few questions!
-I have always wanted to pursue something medically related. My mom was always interested in medicine, and being a nurse, I was exposed to the medical field early on. I have also worked in a gastroenterology office for 3 years (over 1000 hours documented) doing some patient care and pathology lab work where my grandmother is the manager. I considered Emergency Med, orthopedics, and even dentistry. I have a interest in a lot of specialties, and quite honestly I could probably be happy in any of these fields. I even considered getting a MPH or Doctorate in Public Health and working for the UN or WHO. However, my school does a weekly seminar series where we bring in leaders from biology, chemistry, physics, and the medical field. The one week, we brought a DPM in who lectured about restoring feeling in diabetic patients, and gave various surgical techniques for eliminating presser on the nerves, healing chronic wounds, etc. This was honestly the first time I had ever heard of podiatry. I went and talked to this doctor after his lecture about the profession, and was able to shadow his group a few times and he showed me all aspects of the profession. I was also able to sit in on a few surgeries, on of which was a complete reconstruction of the foot (really severe bunion!). I am really involved with sports, and run up to 90 miles a week to train for cross country races, so this field would fit perfectly (as foot problems are always a concern at such high mileage). I also like the idea of being a surgeon, primary care physician, sports medicine doctor, and the occasional trauma case all while having decent hours and salary. I live outside of the Philadelphia area, so Temple would be the closest school to me. However, if you could give me a few advantageous reasons to apply/attend to your school over Temple I would greatly appreciate it!
Additionally, my transcript and academic record is not free of blemishes. Here are both the good and bad stats I have
-over 1000 hours of clinical experience in a doctor’s office
-shadowed podiatrist
-cancer research fellowship at my school with the possibility of publishing next year, working with the ACS and a small startup company developing aptamers for cancer detection
-NCAA cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track athlete
-NCAA 2008 Academic All American
-Resident Assistant for two years
-Emergency room volunteering for 50 hours
However, I have 3 Ws on my transcript (Intro Chem, later received an A-, Physics, also received a A-, and Ochem 2.) In all fairness however, the labs and practice times were overlapping in Physics, so a W made more sense than arriving late to lab every day)
-ALSO…our dorm situation was a disaster this year, and I lost my place of residence for about 2 weeks, and missed a ton of calc, thus receiving a “z” which means “not enough info to evaluate student’s performance” I won’t go into detail about the entire situation because it was a huge ordeal for all of us not having housing, and what is done is done. We got refunded, but that didn’t take away from my “z” which went into my GPA at a 0.00, dropping me from a 3.47 to a 3.28! I’m retaking the class now, and the Z will go away, and I will get a real grade and the 0.00 will be dropped. Will this grade be averaged into my GPA when I apply? I didn’t get a “real” letter grade, but it went in and had the same value as a F, which was devastating to my GPA!
If all goes well, I should be applying with around a 3.5 GPA but a slightly lower (maybe 3.3) sci GPA. Temple accepts the GRE, but if I apply anywhere else, I need to take the MCAT. I will probably have a “gap” year between my sr. year and starting pod school if I’m not prepared for the MCAT in time. If this were the case, I would take that year to work and save money, and perhaps travel a bit and further my volunteer work/extracurricular activities. I may not have the perfect academic record, but I have a lot of extracurricular/outside factors which hopefully play a role. If I can manage a 3.8 or higher my last two semesters, I may be able to get my GPA back up to a 3.6. Between being a RA (25 hours a week) and practice/meets, I was doing 50 hours a week outside of school. I’m not RAing next year for that reason as my grades started to suffer a bit, and because of my appalling and outrageous experience with the school housing.
I appreciate your time and advice!
ZMK

Hi zmkelchn,
I’m so glad you’ve found podiatric medicine to be such a good fit for you! Seeing as that you are so close to the Temple campus, you should look into attending one of their “internship weeks” where you can learn more about the podiatric medical curriculum, get your hands dirty in the anatomy labs and spend some time in the clinics with current students. Since Scholl doesn’t offer an Internship, I think it’s a great idea to attend one of the other programs around the country (NYCPM does one and so does the CSPM at SMU) to get really immersed in the educational process. If you or anyone else decides to attend an “Internship Week” at a COP, please make certain you write about it in your personal statement! Scholl College wants to know that you’ve taken the time to attend one of these programs (and we don’t hold it against you!).
Okay – so why apply to Scholl (or, why consider attending Scholl?)? I won’t bore you with a reiteration of our high board scores, outstanding PM&S 36 residency placement rates or ultra-low financial aid default rates… so how about a list of the intangibles?
Location… no, it’s not downtown Chicago like it used to be, but that’s why location makes it into my list. To me, being a suburban school means that Monday to Friday you can really focus on being a student. Then, being only 30 miles from Chicago, on the weekends you can head downtown, take in a baseball game, see the Chicago River dyed green on St Patrick’s Day. A lot of my 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students choose to live downtown and commute to campus via the Metra Rail and use the vanpool option to get from the train station and campus each day. Scholl enjoys both the bright city sidewalks as well as the groomed trails and bike paths of the North Shore.
Access to research is another reason to consider Scholl College. The “big” research program is the DPM/PhD program, but did you know that 20% of Scholl students participate in non-PhD research, get published and present at conferences like the APMA, ADA or other research consortiums? Students as early as the P1 year can begin a NIH funded research program and join either a clinical study, a human performance lab study or work in one of the wet-bench labs doing stem cell research or regenerative medicine studies. Follow Dr Najafi’s blog for more about the human performance lab’s research: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?author=7. Not interested in research? That’s okay, too. Students who choose not to participate in research still benefit from the cutting edge research and technology that is generated at Scholl College.
Scholl also has an outstanding interprofessional curriculum that is modeled from the allopathic curriculum. Scholl College students spend two years in basic and clinical science studies before transitioning into clinical rotations that include medicine, ER, surgery, orthopedics, dermatology, radiology, pediatrics and biomechanics. The basic and clinical science years are spent learning side by side with students pursuing MD, PA, and PT degrees – just to name a few. Learning in a true 360 degree team mimics the real world environment in which you’ll practice medicine. Once you make the transition into the 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations, students will visit multiple hospitals and clinics in and around the Chicagoland area to receive hands-on training. Onsite clerkships allow our students the opportunity to visit potential residency programs, meet with residency directors and learn about the differences between trauma oriented facilities or wound care oriented facilities. Consistently, Scholl graduates are sought after for clinical clerkships as 3rd year students and in the residency match process.
Now, let me ask you this: why wouldn’t you consider Scholl College?
Good luck with your appeal process, but don't worry too much about your GPA. You've got a good "reason" for what happened and I think you can explain it in your personal statement.
Mandy

We've had lots of new posts to the Scholl College Blog this week:

Dr Najafi posted a few of the abstract posters to the blog - these are a great sample of the CLEAR research being presented at APMA this week. To read and follow Dr Najafi, visit: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?author=7

Also, did you know that Kathleen Stone, DPM (SCPM '85) was the first female president of the APMA? She was recently featured as Today's Podiatrist, a feature of the APMA Career and Promotion Group. Read the full article at http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=343

Follow me on Twitter this week from the American Podiatric Medical Associations National Scientific Conference in Seattle, WA! @SchollAdmission is where all of the action will be live!

Would I be considered with only 30-40 hours of ER volunteering?

I have 30 hours of research,75 hours of community volunteering, NCAA track qualifier- top 10 in nation twice. Shadowing experience with POD

sGPA-3.04

MCAT-26

Would this lack of hospital experience and volunteering hurt me or put me behind the competitive applicant? Thanks

Would I be considered with only 30-40 hours of ER volunteering?

I have 30 hours of research,75 hours of community volunteering, NCAA track qualifier- top 10 in nation twice. Shadowing experience with POD

sGPA-3.04

MCAT-26

Would this lack of hospital experience and volunteering hurt me or put me behind the competitive applicant? Thanks

Hey TrackSter03,

Let me turn the question around to you: What did you learn in the 30-40 hours of volunteering in the ER?

Can you answer these two questions (based on your clinical experience alone): What do you enjoy about a career in (podiatric) medicine? What don't you enjoy about a career in (podiatric) medicine?

If your experience can provide you with meaningful answers, then you'll be fine. If you are struggling to answer these two questions, then you might need to broaden, or give more depth, to your shadowing experiences!

Much like test prep, what one student can accomplish in 8 hours of shadowing, another needs 80 hours. Worry less about quantity and more about the quality of your experiences!

Hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions!
Mandy

NCAA track qualifier- top 10 in nation twice.

Wow, thats great. I run NCAA track as well, what event in nationals?

Hi TRS,

I wanted to start off by stating how much I (we SDNers) appreciate all your fantastic work here. You've been informative, friendly, sensitive and even funny. But, on with the show...

I've been on again/off again with podiatry over the last 3-4 years, mostly because of my sub-par grades since pod doesn't offer grade replacement like osteo does. I'm sure you've heard this story a zillion times, but I messed up undergrad, big time. I got a 2.11 cum/sci the first go around (endless C's and 4 F's), and subsequently a 3.51 post-bacc giving me a cumGPA 2.72/sciGPA 2.79, all in. My MCAT stands at 28.

My question is, do I even have a remote shot at Scholl? What can I do to improve my application if I don't? More undergrad courses :( or a master's :scared:? Given the number of credits I have already accumulated, I doubt I will ever be able to break the 3.0 barrier.

I plan on shadowing a DPM in the coming weeks to see if podiatry is even for me, but as it stands, the prospect of practicing excites me. I have over 200 hrs of clinical experience in a rehab department of my local hospital (1.5 years), worked with children with developmental disabilities (4yrs up to 2008), done various 3-4 month long stints in the ER, radiology, long term care units, and currently work as personal trainer (2.5 yrs).

Anywho, any and all suggestions and/or comments are welcome, even from other SDNers (provided they are in good taste). Thanks for your input.

-MUF

Hi TRS,

I wanted to start off by stating how much I (we SDNers) appreciate all your fantastic work here. You've been informative, friendly, sensitive and even funny. But, on with the show...

I've been on again/off again with podiatry over the last 3-4 years, mostly because of my sub-par grades since pod doesn't offer grade replacement like osteo does. I'm sure you've heard this story a zillion times, but I messed up undergrad, big time. I got a 2.11 cum/sci the first go around (endless C's and 4 F's), and subsequently a 3.51 post-bacc giving me a cumGPA 2.72/sciGPA 2.79, all in. My MCAT stands at 28.

My question is, do I even have a remote shot at Scholl? What can I do to improve my application if I don't? More undergrad courses :( or a master's :scared:? Given the number of credits I have already accumulated, I doubt I will ever be able to break the 3.0 barrier.

I plan on shadowing a DPM in the coming weeks to see if podiatry is even for me, but as it stands, the prospect of practicing excites me. I have over 200 hrs of clinical experience in a rehab department of my local hospital (1.5 years), worked with children with developmental disabilities (4yrs up to 2008), done various 3-4 month long stints in the ER, radiology, long term care units, and currently work as personal trainer (2.5 yrs).

Anywho, any and all suggestions and/or comments are welcome, even from other SDNers (provided they are in good taste). Thanks for your input.

-MUF

1) Yay for shadowing!!! :thumbup:

2) Great MCAT score! I'm not the best person to advise on your GPA though, so i won't...

3) You have excellent extracurricular work! Lots of hours, too.

4) Your avatar rocks. :banana:

1) Yay for shadowing!!! :thumbup:

2) Great MCAT score! I'm not the best person to advise on your GPA though, so i won't...

3) You have excellent extracurricular work! Lots of hours, too.

4) Your avatar rocks. :banana:

thanks for the encouragement, Mike.

BTW, although I'm no connaisseur, I love musical scores. They really make a movie, well, a movie!

Hi TRS,

-MUF
Hi MUF,

I have to start with this: My first thought when I read your post is, who the heck in TRS? Then, it dawned on me.. that's me, you dork. It's early and I certainly need more coffee... anyhoo...

Okay, let's talk about what's really concerning me here: Are you really committed to podiatry?? And, I'm not calling you out, specifically, MUF, but rather a more general question: is a career in podiatry the right decision for you?

Unfortunately, no one (me or anyone else on this forum!) can make that call for you - except you. You mention not having shadowed a DPM yet... doing that will help (hopefully!), doing A LOT of research (I would suggest the APMA.org as a great place to start) and asking a lot of questions when you interview... that's right, I said when you interview. Your post-bac grades are very good... and your MCAT is above Scholl's average. If everything you've stated here is true, we'll probably see you in an interview situation... and that is exactly where we will sniff out that you aren't' committed to the profession (if you are still on the fence at that point!).

I certainly do not want you to make a $30,000+ error in enrolling at a place like Scholl for a year to figure out that this isn't what you want to do for the rest of your life (or at least until your loans are paid off! And the loans are big... one DPM I know jokes all the time he married Sallie Mae first and then he married his wife).

Honestly, before you do anything this fall... sit back. Relax for a moment about your grades and being competitive, etc. Think about what it is you really want from a career in medicine, podiatric medicine specifically... then go shadow. When you're done shadowing, let's talk again (either here, PM or at my real email if you prefer). If you're still uncertain, I'll find a few current students for you to talk with... and then, you can make an education decision about applying!

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I want you to make the best decision possible, ok!

Let me know if you still have questions!
TRS

Hi MUF,

I have to start with this: My first thought when I read your post is, who the heck in TRS? Then, it dawned on me.. that's me, you dork. It's early and I certainly need more coffee... anyhoo...

Okay, let's talk about what's really concerning me here: Are you really committed to podiatry?? And, I'm not calling you out, specifically, MUF, but rather a more general question: is a career in podiatry the right decision for you?

Unfortunately, no one (me or anyone else on this forum!) can make that call for you - except you. You mention not having shadowed a DPM yet... doing that will help (hopefully!), doing A LOT of research (I would suggest the APMA.org as a great place to start) and asking a lot of questions when you interview... that's right, I said when you interview. Your post-bac grades are very good... and your MCAT is above Scholl's average. If everything you've stated here is true, we'll probably see you in an interview situation... and that is exactly where we will sniff out that you aren't' committed to the profession (if you are still on the fence at that point!).

I certainly do not want you to make a $30,000+ error in enrolling at a place like Scholl for a year to figure out that this isn't what you want to do for the rest of your life (or at least until your loans are paid off! And the loans are big... one DPM I know jokes all the time he married Sallie Mae first and then he married his wife).

Honestly, before you do anything this fall... sit back. Relax for a moment about your grades and being competitive, etc. Think about what it is you really want from a career in medicine, podiatric medicine specifically... then go shadow. When you're done shadowing, let's talk again (either here, PM or at my real email if you prefer). If you're still uncertain, I'll find a few current students for you to talk with... and then, you can make an education decision about applying!

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I want you to make the best decision possible, ok!

Let me know if you still have questions!
TRS

Thanks, Mandy. As always, you're post has given me a lot to think about. My preliminary scan of the profession is very positive (scientific rigour, level of autonomy, hours, scope, salary). But, I realize I'll only have an idea of whether Pod is for me until I shadow. I just wanted to gauge what my chances were given my current status. I'll let you know how shadowing goes.

-MUF

Hello Mandi,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for all your responses to the questions. They are really helpful and very motivating.

Anyways, my stats are as follows. 3.19 cGPA 3.0 sGPA. 22MCAT. I took all my courses at a University. I had one bad semester where I took 18 credit hours of all science courses. (Physiology, Physics, Physics Lab, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics) Which I got a few Cs and Bs. On top of that I've worked full time as an assistant manager through out my undergrad years.

My question is will you take into consideration my work load while looking at my GPA? What do you think my chances are for getting an interview?

Thank you,

Hello Mandi,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for all your responses to the questions. They are really helpful and very motivating.

Anyways, my stats are as follows. 3.19 cGPA 3.0 sGPA. 22MCAT. I took all my courses at a University. I had one bad semester where I took 18 credit hours of all science courses. (Physiology, Physics, Physics Lab, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics) Which I got a few Cs and Bs. On top of that I've worked full time as an assistant manager through out my undergrad years.

My question is will you take into consideration my work load while looking at my GPA? What do you think my chances are for getting an interview?

Thank you,

Hi there, PodiatricADDICT,

Before answering fully, I am going to state that I think you might be a science major - right? Likely, Biology or Biological Sciences (only because over 50% of our applicants are Bio Majors). So, let me ask you this: do you think your workload as a Bio Major at University A is any more challenging than another applicant who is also a Bio Major at University B?

You very well could have a legitimate yes: you did research and were published (or other significant research event/award), you were a double science major... you get where I am going with this?

Lots of applicants carried big credit loads. And, lots of applicant had to work while doing so... my best advice, focus less on the course load and describe for us (say in a your PS or an interview) how you found balance in your life when carrying a large credit count... or did you struggle with that? If you did struggle to find hours in the day to attend labs, classes, work and eventually sleep - what was your driving motivation for doing so? Focus the application process on you and your talents: what, besides a string of numbers, makes you the right fit for podiatry, for medicine and for Scholl?

The admissions committee LOVES to see lots of semesters with lots of sciences -and let's face it, Scholl doesn't offer art courses to help out your overall GPA - it's all science - all the time!

Okay -- for the Non-science majors out there -- stop freaking out! Comm, Business, Religion are all just fine with me too... and students have been just as successful in our programs without a Bio Major. You have special hurdles to overcome and we know it -- trying to get all of your work and med pre-reqs crammed into 4 years is just another type of balancing act.

I do look forward to reviewing your application when it arrives in our office.

TGIF everyone! Have a great weekend and don't forget to work on your application this weekend!
Best,
Mandy

Hi there, PodiatricADDICT,

Before answering fully, I am going to state that I think you might be a science major - right? Likely, Biology or Biological Sciences (only because over 50% of our applicants are Bio Majors). So, let me ask you this: do you think your workload as a Bio Major at University A is any more challenging than another applicant who is also a Bio Major at University B?

You very well could have a legitimate yes: you did research and were published (or other significant research event/award), you were a double science major... you get where I am going with this?

Lots of applicants carried big credit loads. And, lots of applicant had to work while doing so... my best advice, focus less on the course load and describe for us (say in a your PS or an interview) how you found balance in your life when carrying a large credit count... or did you struggle with that? If you did struggle to find hours in the day to attend labs, classes, work and eventually sleep - what was your driving motivation for doing so? Focus the application process on you and your talents: what, besides a string of numbers, makes you the right fit for podiatry, for medicine and for Scholl?

The admissions committee LOVES to see lots of semesters with lots of sciences -and let's face it, Scholl doesn't offer art courses to help out your overall GPA - it's all science - all the time!

Okay -- for the Non-science majors out there -- stop freaking out! Comm, Business, Religion are all just fine with me too... and students have been just as successful in our programs without a Bio Major. You have special hurdles to overcome and we know it -- trying to get all of your work and med pre-reqs crammed into 4 years is just another type of balancing act.

I do look forward to reviewing your application when it arrives in our office.

TGIF everyone! Have a great weekend and don't forget to work on your application this weekend!
Best,
Mandy

Thank you so much for the well thought out response, it really helped!!

P.S the 22 MCAT Score is my projected score based on my AVG practice tests :laugh: Hopefully I will do much better

Thanks agan.

[FONT=굴림][FONT=굴림]Hi! To introduce myself a but, I am a bachelor degree holder (specializing Life Science) from University of British Columbia..

[FONT=굴림]I have been very interested in studying in Podiatric Medicine in your college..

[FONT=굴림]If you could, please give me detailed informaiton about 'my chances'?.

[FONT=굴림]My DAT score is 18 (TS 20, AA18, QR16 RC16 BIO 20 OR 20 GC 20) .

[FONT=굴림]However, I did MCAT once but I got 18.... which is very low... so I am planning to.
[FONT=굴림]retake it soon. .

[FONT=굴림]Currently, my cumulative GPA from UBC is low which is .[FONT=굴림]2.5 due to very low grades from 1st and 2nd, and 3rd.[FONT=굴림] year. However, my GPA from 4rd and 5th and 6th year are good!.

[FONT=굴림]In my 6th year, I was even listed in Dean's Honor list for high GPA in 4th year!.
[FONT=굴림](means 6th year ave is over 80 percent).

[FONT=굴림]I have over 1300 hours of volunteer.. so.. yah.. please give me some ture advise...

If I do Special Master Program at Barry University (Biomedical Science), and get over 3.7, would I have a chance to get in?

[FONT=굴림]Thank you! .

[FONT=굴림]Thank you very much!.

[FONT=굴림]and Have a good day!.
Hi everyone,

My name is Mandy and I work for Scholl College in the office of admissions. I wanted to post here to see if I can help answer questions as you begin the application process.

What I intend to do is provide real and honest answers for students going through the application process – or investigating the career choice! What I won't do is speak about any of the other colleges or programs; nor will I help you rank the colleges. This is the research you will have to do on your own.

Let me know how I can help!

Cheers,
Mandy
Student Recruitment
Scholl College
www.RFUpodiatry.com

Hello,

I have 3 questions. First, when you look at the applications do you also look at the courses that you are taking in the current semester (the ones in progress). Or do you just look at the courses which I've recieved grades in?

Also I've noticed that some schools hand out interviews well before they recieve the official transcripts or LORs is your school like that also?

One more question, do you guys offer conditional acceptances of some sort?

Thank you.

Question has been addressed....

Last edited:
To the Real Scholl,

Thanks for all the responses, i've read them all and found your answers to be very helpful. I see last year you made 2 trips to MI, including MSU, UM. Any chance Scholl will be back at either of these schools this year?

[FONT=굴림][FONT=굴림]Hi! To introduce myself a but, I am a bachelor degree holder (specializing Life Science) from University of British Columbia..

[FONT=굴림]I have been very interested in studying in Podiatric Medicine in your college..

[FONT=굴림]If you could, please give me detailed informaiton about 'my chances'?.

[FONT=굴림]My DAT score is 18 (TS 20, AA18, QR16 RC16 BIO 20 OR 20 GC 20) .

[FONT=굴림]However, I did MCAT once but I got 18.... which is very low... so I am planning to.
[FONT=굴림]retake it soon. .

[FONT=굴림]Currently, my cumulative GPA from UBC is low which is .[FONT=굴림]2.5 due to very low grades from 1st and 2nd, and 3rd.[FONT=굴림] year. However, my GPA from 4rd and 5th and 6th year are good!.

[FONT=굴림]In my 6th year, I was even listed in Dean's Honor list for high GPA in 4th year!.
[FONT=굴림](means 6th year ave is over 80 percent).

[FONT=굴림]I have over 1300 hours of volunteer.. so.. yah.. please give me some ture advise...

If I do Special Master Program at Barry University (Biomedical Science), and get over 3.7, would I have a chance to get in?

[FONT=굴림]Thank you! .

[FONT=굴림]Thank you very much!.

[FONT=굴림]and Have a good day!.

Hi Eric7,

It's a little bit difficult to give you much advice on your GPA from UBC... we typically wait for the application service to "convert" the Candian grades into US equivalences before we look at the competitive nature of your GPA. So, let me say this, if your 2.5 GPA is equivalent to a rate of 65-70%, a C letter grade or less, you may not have a very competitive GPA and you would benefit greatly from a post-bac program (yes, a 3.5 or better GPA would be advisable!) or a full graduate program (Masters) with a 3.5 or better GPA.

We will look at trends, so if the last two years of study are at that 80% and better, then that will help... but again, until I see it in US equivalency, its really hard to advise you. Have you ever had your UBC transcript evaluated by a foreign credential service (WES or ECE?). If you have that information, I would be very interested in seeing it.

Scholl doesn't take the DAT and I would highly recommend retaking the MCAT in order to obtain a very competitive score to compensate for what might be a lower (less competitive GPA) from UBC.

I hope that helps!
Mandy

Hello,

I have 3 questions. First, when you look at the applications do you also look at the courses that you are taking in the current semester (the ones in progress). Or do you just look at the courses which I've recieved grades in?

Also I've noticed that some schools hand out interviews well before they recieve the official transcripts or LORs is your school like that also?

One more question, do you guys offer conditional acceptances of some sort?

Thank you.

Hi UIC,
So PeaJay is right, I have talked about this before, but it's never a problem to go over Scholl's criteria for 2011!

1. Pretty much, we look at what you have accomplished at the time of application. The one caveat to that if you have outstanding pre-reqs.. then you must acheive a C or better in those courses in order to not jeopardize your offer of admissions.

2. In order for your file to be reviewed for admissions, you must complete your application. For Scholl, a complete application is a verified application from AACPMAS, all of your letters and either your official MCAT or the date you are taking the MCAT. If you leave that part about the MCAT out, you run the risk of not be evaluated. Once complete, we will invite all candidates being seriously considered for admission to interview, in person, at the Scholl campus.

3. Which leads me to say this: at a recent meeting, the revocation of the rule which required your MCAT to be official before an offer of admission from any college of podiatry medicine was revoked. Did you follow that statement? Basically, that means our by-laws allow for conditional offers of admissions (WRT to MCAT specifically in this case). Our AC hasn't met yet to adopt our rules for the 10-11 cycle.. I anticipate having this information in a few days.. and I'll be able to update everyone on this thread about our 10-11 policy!

4. SNEAK PEAK: I anticipate a change in our letters of recommendation requirement for 2011 admissions!! Keep watching. I'll make an announcement as soon as I have the 411!

Cheers!
Mandy

To the Real Scholl,

Thanks for all the responses, i've read them all and found your answers to be very helpful. I see last year you made 2 trips to MI, including MSU, UM. Any chance Scholl will be back at either of these schools this year?

Hi superbill2,

YEP! I'm working on the fall travel schedule this month! MSU is on our agenda and I am hoping to pack in a visit to EMU and UM too! As soon as I have our full visit schedule, I'll post it so you'll know where to find us - anywhere in the country!

Do you guys do rolling admissions? If so what time frame would you consider to be an 'Early' period to apply? Im still waiting for my transcripts to be processed and my mcat scores wont be available until september 20

Do you guys do rolling admissions? If so what time frame would you consider to be an 'Early' period to apply? Im still waiting for my transcripts to be processed and my mcat scores wont be available until september 20

Yes, Scholl has rolling admissions! We typically don't start the interview process until October (when we start having complete files already reviewed). We continue interviews until mid-May and sometimes into June.

For the most part, I consider those who apply before Jan 1 to be "early." Please don't mistake this for an early admissions/early decision application tho; colleges of podiatric medicine don't have an early decision programs for applicants.

Welcome to the 2010-2011 Application Cycle for Scholl College! We just wrapped up our fall orientation where we welcomed 94 students to the North Chicago campus and life at Scholl College – so now we’re ready to switch gears and move into the Class of 2015 Applicant Cycle! Ready? Set? GO!
Globally, a few changes you will need to be aware of: AACPMAS has adopted Traffic Rules for this cycle. And, you as an applicant should be thankful. Traffic Rules are meant to support you by specifically spelling out what my responsibilities are, what AACPMAS is responsible for and what you are responsible for during the application process. Take the time to read the rules, found here: http://www.e-aacpmas.org/AACPMAS Traffic Rules.pdf.
Special highlights - or the CliffsNotes version (and thanks goes out to Marie at WesternU for this great synopsis of the Traffic Rules!) are here for you to read:

• No school will invite an applicant to interview until a completed AACPMAS application is available. A completed application is defined as an AACPMAS application with verified grades.
  • Schools and colleges of podiatric medicine may begin extending offers of admission anytime after the interview. However, schools and colleges will not make a final offer of admissions prior to the receipt of an official standardized test score. For MCAT and DAT scores, an official score is accepted only through the AACPMAS program. (Please note: Scholl College only accepts MCAT scores)
  • Once offered, applicants will be requested to submit any necessary documents, including a deposit, according to the following schedule:
    • Through March 31, allow 30 days for candidates to respond to offers of admission
    • Between April 1 and June 31, allow 14 days for candidates to respond to offers of admission
    • After July 1, candidates may be asked for an immediate deposit
  • Each school or college's acceptance deposit shall not exceed $1,000
Please note: Scholl College will not offer acceptances to candidates who are pending official MCAT scores.
Locally, a few other changes that were adopted this week at Scholl: Our Letter of Recommendation verbiage now reads: Two faculty letters of recommendation are required; three are preferred to complete the application. One professional letter of recommendation – from a DPM – is also required to matriculate; however, it is preferred prior to your interview. There is a handy-dandy check list you can print by clicking here: http://rfupodiatry.com/apply.html. This way you can keep track of what materials you have submitted and what is still pending.
Having trouble figuring out if you should submit the three preferred letters + DPM to be considered: If your GPA, MCAT, shadowing or other experiences are “light” in any way, take this as an opportunity to submit additional letters of recommendation to support your application. If you have experiences beyond the “normal” undergraduate experiences: Research, NCAA Athletics, Full-Time Work requirements, etc., are all also great reasons to submit the “extra” letter. But, please refrain from submitting letters from your Mom (we know she loves you) even if she is a health professional or educator.
As we are anxiously awaiting the first verified applications to arrive in our office, we anticipate starting the interview process at the end of September or the beginning of October.
I wish you all the very best as you prepare your applications, prepare for interview and begin receiving acceptances!
As always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about your application or our process!
Mandy

Hi everyone! Interested in meeting the students who will be your tour guies during the Interview Day, potential panel interviewers and all around great people to ask questions and advice of..?

Meet the 2010-2011 Scholl College Student Ambassadors by reading this: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=422

Honestly, they're real students, not paid actors - -so drop them a note if you have any questions!

Dear Mandy,

Do podiatry schools consider courseload a significant part of the application? Because of various circumstances out of my control (school can't find a professor for one of my classes) I am only taking 12 credits this first semester. Would that be OK?

Thanks,

Carson

Hi Dokter,

Great question about credits by term. My initial thought is, no, I doubt this will be problematic - generally speaking.

My second thought is: is the class you are "missing" this term something that we would be looking for in your application? For example, is it a pre-req that you'll need to take in Spring and now your sequence is thrown off? Was it a 400 level science class, say a Neuroscience course, that would have been a great course to see on your application? Those two instances might be something you'll want to mention in your personal statement.

Next, my best advice: take your lessor credit load and beef up your community service or shadowing this term in order to prepare for potential interviews ahead of you!

Good luck!
Mandy

Hi Mandy,

I'm still in the hunt to find a DPM to shadow...a million emails and no luck yet. The next step is to call/show up with my CV at their respective offices and hope my persistence garners some sympathy. I've also done a lot of reading on the AMPA/CPMA/Other websites to find out more about the scope of practice. I know my shadowing experience will seal the deal, but I think I've found what I'm looking for. I've also chosen to enroll in the master's program (cardiovascular physiology) since I'll only be applying next fall, which gives me 2 yrs to beef up my application (I only want to apply once :D). I also want to give research a shot since my lab experience over the summer was very positive and I'll have the time to dedicate to it.

Anywho, in terms of pre-reqs, does Scholl consider community college level courses? I essentially took all the pre-reqs at this level as community college is a pre-req to get into university in my neck of the woods (Quebec, Canada).

Also, I looked over the SALSA/CLEAR website and the program sounds really interesting-can you tell me a little about it? How would this program be intergrated into the DPM curriculum? Are there any pre-reqs/extraneous requirements above those of the DPM program? Extraneous fees or prolonged timeline to graduation? Do other schools offer a similar program? If so, how does RFU compare in terms of funding, time to completion, etc? Are there any perks to completing this program come residency matching time?

Thanks very much and have a good weekend,

Man

Mandy,

I have a similar concern in terms of the credit hour question that TheDoktor posed in post #194. Here goes:

I started taking my pre-reqs (with the exception of Gen. Bio. I which I had from my undergrad) as a post-baccalaureate student at my alma mater in the Spring '09. I had to take seven pre-reqs along with pre-cal (it was a pre-req for physics). I'm paying for these classes out of pocket. However, as such, it becomes difficult to keep up with the ever increasing cost of tuition and, on top of that, I was furloughed this summer from my job thereby throwing my whole financial status into peril.

Now the question I'm getting at is what does an adcom think of what they would probably see as an erratic path to completion in terms of the pre-reqs? I have three left and I'm hoping to knock out them out in the coming year and apply in the Fall '11.

Hi Mandy,

I'm still in the hunt to find a DPM to shadow...a million emails and no luck yet. The next step is to call/show up with my CV at their respective offices and hope my persistence garners some sympathy. I've also done a lot of reading on the AMPA/CPMA/Other websites to find out more about the scope of practice. I know my shadowing experience will seal the deal, but I think I've found what I'm looking for. I've also chosen to enroll in the master's program (cardiovascular physiology) since I'll only be applying next fall, which gives me 2 yrs to beef up my application (I only want to apply once :D). I also want to give research a shot since my lab experience over the summer was very positive and I'll have the time to dedicate to it.

Anywho, in terms of pre-reqs, does Scholl consider community college level courses? I essentially took all the pre-reqs at this level as community college is a pre-req to get into university in my neck of the woods (Quebec, Canada).

Also, I looked over the SALSA/CLEAR website and the program sounds really interesting-can you tell me a little about it? How would this program be intergrated into the DPM curriculum? Are there any pre-reqs/extraneous requirements above those of the DPM program? Extraneous fees or prolonged timeline to graduation? Do other schools offer a similar program? If so, how does RFU compare in terms of funding, time to completion, etc? Are there any perks to completing this program come residency matching time?

Thanks very much and have a good weekend,

Man

Hi Man,

1. Try calling their offices. Sometimes you will get a better (more timely) response than by just emailing. You may also be able to schedule the shadowing with the Office Manager.

2. Scholl does accept pre-reqs from community colleges that are accredited. The AC will appreciate more, tho, that you are taking graduate level science courses in the Masters.

3. I'm glad you've been checking out Dr Armstrong's SALSA program in Arizona! For Scholl students, we offer an opportunity for Swanson Scholars (research scholars) an opportunity to do a 4 month core rotation with SALSA in order to combine clinical 3rd/4th year rotations with your individual research project. It's a great chance to work with Dr Armstrong's team, knock out 4 months of rotation and put the final touches on your research presentation (required of the Swanson Scholars).

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Mandy,

I have a similar concern in terms of the credit hour question that TheDoktor posed in post #194. Here goes:

I started taking my pre-reqs (with the exception of Gen. Bio. I which I had from my undergrad) as a post-baccalaureate student at my alma mater in the Spring '09. I had to take seven pre-reqs along with pre-cal (it was a pre-req for physics). I'm paying for these classes out of pocket. However, as such, it becomes difficult to keep up with the ever increasing cost of tuition and, on top of that, I was furloughed this summer from my job thereby throwing my whole financial status into peril.

Now the question I'm getting at is what does an adcom think of what they would probably see as an erratic path to completion in terms of the pre-reqs? I have three left and I'm hoping to knock out them out in the coming year and apply in the Fall '11.

Hi Deeper1 -

I wouldn't worry too much about what seems like an erratic pattern of enrollment. So long as you are able to explain the situation in your PS then I think you will be okay.

Have you thought about enrolling into a formal post-bac program or alerting the FA office that you are taking specific courses for admission into a program of study? Sometimes (sometimes, sometimes, sometimes) you can get aid for courses that are required for enrollment into another program -- or the formal post-bac route would have aid for admitted students. Just a thought if you are struggling financially to cover the cost of courses!

Good luck!
Mandy

Hi,

I had a few questions regarding the admissions process, I was wondering if there is a strict GPA cut off and if I can apply with physics in progress.

My BA gpa was about a 2.6 but took a few classes after my BA and still be around 2.9-3.0 gpa. And my MCAT score is 25.

Thank you,

Danny