Poorly Dressed Med Students Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sometime07 said:
The average med student will graduate with something like $150k of debt. After all that tuition, living expense, books, etc, why in the world would you not spend an extra 3-5k on a stellar wardrobe? This is all it would take:

1 or 2 pairs of well-maintained (weekly shine!) Italian shoes - $150-500
5 pairs of Italian wool dress pants - $500-750
10 quality English/Italian dress shirts (some plain, some pinstripe, some windowpane)- $1000
10 snazzy - yet sedate - silk ties (no ugly prints!) - $500-1000

You forgot to add in the price of getting all the expensive **** drycleaned twice a week. May also want to look into how good your drycleaner is at getting dried blood out of English/Italian dress shirts... It would be a shame if you ruined one because some pesky patient decided to bleed all over you.

Members don't see this ad.

excalibur said:
You're gonna be everyone's favorite attending when you have to evaluate students for that professionalism and dress box. "How dare you wear non-Italian shoes in my hospital!"

italian shoes are whack; i'll take my allen edmonds, hand made in wisconsin any day over a pair of ferragamos...

If I were a patient, I'd much rather have someone Knowledgable than well dressed.

As long as its something decent, I think patients and their families really don't care. When someone is in the hospital, I doubt people will say "gosh, that med student dresses like Shi*"

Besides, well dressed med students look silly. With bodily fluid being mainstays at hospitals (puke, blood, and crap) only a vain fool would buy an expensive wardrobe and wear it around a hospital setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
oburger said:
If I were a patient, I'd much rather have someone Knowledgable than well dressed.

As long as its something decent, I think patients and their families really don't care. When someone is in the hospital, I doubt people will say "gosh, that med student dresses like Shi*"

Besides, well dressed med students look silly. With bodily fluid being mainstays at hospitals (puke, blood, and crap) only a vain fool would buy an expensive wardrobe and wear it around a hospital setting.

Incredibly expensive is foolish. Looking nice is not.
Most people don't say anything about their medical students, but they do say a lot of stuff about their attending.

And while your anecdotal evidence of what you want is valid for you, studies have shown that knowledge is actually low on what people want explicitly from their doctors. They assume all of them got through medical school. They want nice, personable people who will talk to them, and explain things to them. They actually want white coats. They want clothes other than scrubs. Did you see the research earlier in the thread?

Remember, smart doctors get sued. Nice doctors don't.

sometime07 said:
...but it's well-established that patients prefer doctors who are dressed professionally vs scrubs or casual clothes. So do it for the patients, not me....

Most of our patients prefer doctors who will give them prescriptions for narcotics. I could be wearing a chicken suit for all they care.

P. Bear, MD
Emergency Medicine Resident
Wearing Six-dollar Scrubs for the Rest of My Life

casi said:
You forgot to add in the price of getting all the expensive **** drycleaned twice a week.

:thumbup: Brooks Brothers non-iron dress shirts.

Suck it up and drop a few extra dollars on quality that you will not regret. I have a feeling that the shirts may end up paying for themselves with the money I will save in dry cleaning bills over the next few years.

My dry cleaner hasn't seen my smiling face in months . . . and I look way more professional than some greased up slimy Dr. Rey clone sporting the latest in uber-shiny formal wear from our friends in the boot-shaped country. ;)

IbnSina said:
Remember, smart doctors get sued. Nice doctors don't.

I would add compassion to that statement - just had a lecture from a medmal attorney (who works for the patients). He said the number one thing you can do to keep from being sued, besides not being an idiot, is having compassion for your patients (and just as important - their families).

loveumms said:
I would add compassion to that statement - just had a lecture from a medmal attorney (who works for the patients). He said the number one thing you can do to keep from being sued, besides not being an idiot, is having compassion for your patients (and just as important - their families).

Or spending more than 2.5 minutes with them.

sometime07 said:
The average med student will graduate with something like $150k of debt. After all that tuition, living expense, books, etc, why in the world would you not spend an extra 3-5k on a stellar wardrobe?

I don't know where you attend med school, but our financial aid office barely gave us enough money to afford Ramen and Vienna Sausages. Getting anything more was like pulling teeth... through the ass. We didn't even get extra to cover Step 2 CS. Why in the world would I not spend an extra 3-5k on a stellar wardrobe? Because I didn't have the money, motherf*****!

pf_sam.gif

liverotcod said:
Crab people
Crab people
Crab people
CRAB PEOPLE

TASTE LIKE CRAB, TALK LIKE PEOPLE!! :laugh:

I do agree with the OP though. I'm still pre-clinical, but at my med school, people do look good for rotations and I notice it. The whole "polished doctor" thing gives off the impression that the physician is in control of the situation and knows what s/he's doing. It's obviously just an impression, but I think it is important for families/patients who are worried and frantic about the medical condition. It's not something people consciously give too much thought to, but is definitely an egregious omission when students look sloppy and wear unironed clothes.

I've brought my Hermes, Zegna, Gucci and Cole Haan to med school for when I have to play doctor :). Not that those are necessary- the Banana always has giant sales every 6-7 weeks for dress shirts, wool slacks, ties, etc. "affordable luxury", etc.

Yes, obviously dressing well is not a sine qua non to being a good doctor (and yes everyone has examples of their walmart-scrub-wearing podiatrist who performed aunt sally's bypass), but it is an added element of refinement which IS noticed and WILL benefit the student / physician.

I read somewhere that "after business hours", it's appropriate to wear scrubs, but during the day, a physician (or clinical student) should look sharp.

Dr. McDreamy said:
I'm a female and I have such a hard time figuring out what to wear when i have to look professional every day. I HATE DRESSING UP. women's dress clothing is so uncomfortable. men can get a pair of dress shoes and put a comfy insert in them and wear them every day. Women's dress shoes are the most uncomfortable, hideous things and are definitely never meant to stand in them for 12 hours a day. And guys can just wear the same thing every day - so simple. There is no standardization in women's professional wear. I want rules dammitt!!!!

I hate wearing skirts b/c I don't like my legs, so that's out. I end up wearing dress pants when I absolutely have to dress up. But they're certainly not the loose comfy things guys get to wear. If women dress like guys, we end up looking frumpy, if we dress like women, we end up uncomfortable.

Any ladies have suggestions for what to wear in clinic?

For the people who had comments about wearing the clogs, I recommend breaking down an spending the extra money on two good pairs of Danskos. Really, it's worth it. I bought two pairs, black and brown, and I wear them every single day. They also look pretty good, I've had patients and nurses stop me to look at how cute my shoes are. Don't buy those rubber ones from Walmart. They aren't that good and look cheesy, especially if yours are lime green.

For the ladies out there, I bought most of my clothes at the Gap outlet. I found some pants that were made of scrub like fabric that were still dressed up enough to fulfill the requirements of the med school clinic dress code - and I bought four pairs. I hunted around and found a few of the only relatively stylish floral below the knee skirts on earth. I matched them each with a Gap tshirt and then went to their shirts asking one question - can I wear a tanktop underneath this? If the answer was 'yes' (no matter how low cut it was on the model) and it fit okay, I bought it. Then I invested in about 6-9 white tank tops that could be worn under anything. I stopped by Aeropostale, bought their $5 polo shirts, hit walmart of excessive amounts of cheap nylons, and called it a wardrobe.

Sorry to the gentleman, but a lady can wear a skirt and pair it with a plain matching Tshirt and no one will say anything to her. Don't bring it up. Our school dress code specifically states women are to wear 'proper undergarments beneath shirts.'

On the other hand, guys, you are generally okay if you just follow the unstained pressed collar shirt thing and no one will notice much, unless the rest of your team really likes ties. No one wants to be identified by a patient to your attending as 'that nice boy w/o a tie.'

Last, know your service and its schedule. There are days where you know you will be doing nasty scut work or assisting in procedures that can be gross. There are days you will be in lecture or at Grand rounds and everyone in the department will be there. Pick that day to wear those italian shoes or cute (yet appropriate) skirt.

By the way, what's the worst thing you've ever gotten on your clothes at work, be it scrubs or Italian wool pants. I got a mix of polyhydramnios fluid, meconium, and blood on my scrub pants leg once. I know people have gotten worse. And that was even with the gown and the shoe protectors up to my knees. Somehow got on my lap under the gown... And that's one reason I'm not going into OB.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read through the thread, and the funniest thing is that the OP thinks this is a serious problem. If it's that big of a concern (as apposed to poverty, homelessness, and other lesser issues), then you petition for a dress code at your school. I'm sure your classmates will agree with you and love you for it. Worry about something important. I'll say the same thing that me and my buddies said in engineering school - we got better **** to do. If you're a student, then you have no authority, so nobody cares about you, let alone how you look.

crazy_cavalier said:
In general, though, I am not interested in wearing the most "professional-looking" clothes on the market; I would prefer being very comfortable over how I appear, so I'll stick to my dad's ties and my worn-out, wrinkly clothes. But thanks for your opinion.

It's not about what you want - it's about what the patients want to see from their doctors. If your doctor looks like they don't make an effort, even if people aren't that fashion conscious, it still leaves an impression of sloppy. When you leave a patient with the impression of sloppy, they don't feel all that sure of you & your ability to take care of them. It isn't always a conscious thing.

People don't sit there and think, "Oh wow. He doesn't wear clothes from Louis of Boston. Forget it!" (Well, maybe some do...!) However, people DO think, "I don't know. He just didn't seem to have his whole act together..."

Expense aside, guys - the point is, you should have a presentation that shows you made some kind of effort.

Orthodoc40 said:
Expense aside, guys - the point is, you should have a presentation that shows you made some kind of effort.
Totally, completely, 100% agree.

Completely disagree with the OPs opinion that it takes a $4000 wardrobe and cloaks of Italian leather to do so.

one thing it seems most guys do not know - if you have a sport coat/suit jacket/nicer looking jacket with a collar, do not button the bottom button it looks dumb and I thought it was well known that you never use the bottom button but i see people doing it all the time.

caffeinefree08 said:
Our school dress code specifically states women are to wear 'proper undergarments beneath shirts.'

Is this a problem? What is proper?

sometime07 said:
Example: The most common outfit I see on med students is a pair of rarely-pressed khakis, a blue Gap oxford (usually wrinkled), and a tie that they got from their father's closet before they went off to college. Oh, and that's often coupled with an oh-so-stylish pair of beat-up Timberlands or Rockports that haven't seen a shoe shine since they left the factory in Cambodia.

The tan slacks, blue or white oxford, tie and brown shoes is basically the "business casual" uniform of many service and corporate sectors. You see it everywhere and it is considered always safe and appropriate (not to mention durable and inexpensive). It's not surprising that guys in the medical profession adopted it too -- why take a fashion risk? I see no real problem with this at all.

When was the last time you were a patient? What did your doctor wear? I can remember my Gyn had white hair, knew a lot about birth control and and a cold speculum. I am pretty sure he was wearing pants.

maybe I don't watch the style channel enough, but I'm not sure that I could tell the difference between a med student wearing 500 dollar pants vs pants from the gap.
I can't wait till my loans get dispersed, I am going to go buy groceries!

the last thing you want to be noticed for is your clothes. dress however the residents on your service dress.

Rugby MD said:
When was the last time you were a patient? What did your doctor wear? I can remember my Gyn had white hair, knew a lot about birth control and and a cold speculum. I am pretty sure he was wearing pants.

If he was doing a gyn exam without pants, you would have noticed.

look, seriously theres nothing wrong with dressing well. you just need to have the moeny and the uh... motivation. somehow dressing well never made the A-list for me

The issue is that I'm getting fat and I'm just going to get fatter over the next 3-5 years. If I spent 5 grand on clothes, they wouldn't fit me in a year. That's why I spent 50 bucks on baggy clothes for med school interviews, that thankfully (and painfully) still fit.

I accidently found this thread. I am still in undergrad. I don't need to dress up for much important stuff now, but I know I would not be able to spend $1000+ on clothing for med school interviews. "Knock off" clothing from Target is affordable and seems it would be fine. I don't know why the OP is making such a big deal on looking nice BY getting costly designer clothes. It's a "drop in the bucket" compared to becoming an MD o DO overall but when you're living on a tight budget month by month it is not a drop in the bucket for your living expenses that particular month!

Good bye.

Yep good luck keeping those designer clothes free of bodily fluids. I was going to buy a pair$100+ leather loafers that were nice and comfortable for my feat. Then the salesman of all people pointed out that if I got anything on them from the hospital it would pretty much ruin them. I now use Birkenstock clogs, nice and you can wash them off with a water hose:thumbup:

sometime07 said:
10 quality English/Italian dress shirts (some plain, some pinstripe, some windowpane)- $1000

Hm.. When would you have a chance to wear that? In residency? Don't they wear scrubs all the time?

Oh and can you suggest a 3,000 wardrobe for the females?

everybody is busting this guys balls-yeah I wouldn't spend all that $$ for a wardrobe but there are appropriate times to shine the shoes, wear the tie. Sometiemes you gotta look the part. I don't think he is saying wear a suit & tie for a 3 hour lecture at school or anything.

beefballs said:
everybody is busting this guys balls-yeah I wouldn't spend all that $$ for a wardrobe but there are appropriate times to shine the shoes, wear the tie. Sometiemes you gotta look the part. I don't think he is saying wear a suit & tie for a 3 hour lecture at school or anything.

Well yeah I have a moderately priced suit that I wear when the occasion calls for it but male med students can look more than presentable with clothes from a department store sales rack. If you put even the slightest effort into it you will look professional. Besides nothing says "Sue me" like walking into a patients room with a prada shirt (do they make shirts?) and gucci shoes when said patient is going to have to file medical bankruptcy because of his stay in the hospital.

OK, so I read all the complaints people had with my original comment, and I want to clarify some things, and revise my position a little bit.

Yes, I realize now that my rant was a little too geared towards how much you have to spend to look professional, and not enough on simply looking professional, regardless of the cost/quality. The examples I took of a "stellar wardrobe" was the absolute upper extreme of what it would take to look great. My point was not that you must spend that much to look professional, just that even if you went all out and got the best of the best, it would still be a drop in the bucket compared to the total debt load.

So, I take that back. Forget about how much you have to spend. As many pointed out, you can go to Banana Republic and spend a hell of a lot less, and still look very put together. But many students don't even do that.

I suppose if I was rewriting my rant, I would summarize it like this: Too many students care too little about how they look to patients, even though it is well-studied that patients prefer that their doctors are well-dressed.

I know that SDN is populated by a larger percentage of gunners than med school in general, so I think that's why there's so much hostility towards suggesting that one press one's pants every now and then. Remember, you are not treating diseases, you are treating people. Diseases may not care how you look, but your patients sure do. As many mentioned, it is a subconscious perception of ability and control. And no matter how hard you furiously object that patients don't care, they do, so make the effort for them.

sometime07 said:
OK, so I read all the complaints people had with my original comment, and I want to clarify some things, and revise my position a little bit.

Yes, I realize now that my rant was a little too geared towards how much you have to spend to look professional, and not enough on simply looking professional, regardless of the cost/quality. The examples I took of a "stellar wardrobe" was the absolute upper extreme of what it would take to look great. My point was not that you must spend that much to look professional, just that even if you went all out and got the best of the best, it would still be a drop in the bucket compared to the total debt load.

So, I take that back. Forget about how much you have to spend. As many pointed out, you can go to Banana Republic and spend a hell of a lot less, and still look very put together. But many students don't even do that.

I suppose if I was rewriting my rant, I would summarize it like this: Too many students care too little about how they look to patients, even though it is well-studied that patients prefer that their doctors are well-dressed.

I know that SDN is populated by a larger percentage of gunners than med school in general, so I think that's why there's so much hostility towards suggesting that one press one's pants every now and then. Remember, you are not treating diseases, you are treating people. Diseases may not care how you look, but your patients sure do. As many mentioned, it is a subconscious perception of ability and control. And no matter how hard you furiously object that patients don't care, they do, so make the effort for them.

You really think my patient is gonna care if its Banana Republic or Target that i'm wearing?

This is how I decide what to wear to work:
Do I want to see MY doctor wearing this? If I do, then I wear it. If I rather not, then it is back in the closet.

For me the most important thing would be looking like a professional, albeit one that is ready to get dirty or respond to an emergency. I would be most concerned with looking like a business man...the exact opposite of the image I would try to project as a physician. I would stick with a plain shirt and maybe a tie. Comfortable shoes too (in case theres an emergency).

My personal fashion peeve is....too-short-sleeve scrubs and no tshirt. Or scrubs and no shirt. So gross. The former makes you look like you want to look like a model (and you either don't AT ALL or you TOTALLY do, either of which would be a faux pas). For the latter, those are clothes made for getting dirty with body fluids. You are wear a shirt that will get squirted with menconium, pus, or vomit in direct contact with your skin (even if you have an PPE on). Gross.

rowdybow said:
For me the most important thing would be looking like a professional, albeit one that is ready to get dirty or respond to an emergency. I would be most concerned with looking like a business man...the exact opposite of the image I would try to project as a physician. I would stick with a plain shirt and maybe a tie. Comfortable shoes too (in case theres an emergency).

My personal fashion peeve is....too-short-sleeve scrubs and no tshirt. Or scrubs and no shirt. So gross. The former makes you look like you want to look like a model (and you either don't AT ALL or you TOTALLY do, either of which would be a faux pas). For the latter, those are clothes made for getting dirty with body fluids. You are wear a shirt that will get squirted with menconium, pus, or vomit in direct contact with your skin (even if you have an PPE on). Gross.

The hospitals that I rotated at didn't let you wear a t-shirt under the scrubs. Luckily, the v-necks weren't too deep, but it did take awhile to get used to having nearly nothing between my bare skin and this garment that has been worn by maybe hundreds of people and had the fluids of even more on it! YUCK!

sometime07 said:
OK, I've held it in too long....forgive the grammar/spelling because this is going to be quick...

Gentlemen:

What the hell is it with third and fourth year med students who work their asses off to get great grades, go to a great school, shine like a star, and want to rise to the top, but don't put a moment's thought into how they look to patients/faculty? I'm not talking basic grooming (which some people do seem to have a problem with, and they probably can't help it), I'm talking about being dressed like a professional, not a tech support guy.

Example: The most common outfit I see on med students is a pair of rarely-pressed khakis, a blue Gap oxford (usually wrinkled), and a tie that they got from their father's closet before they went off to college. Oh, and that's often coupled with an oh-so-stylish pair of beat-up Timberlands or Rockports that haven't seen a shoe shine since they left the factory in Cambodia.

The average med student will graduate with something like $150k of debt. After all that tuition, living expense, books, etc, why in the world would you not spend an extra 3-5k on a stellar wardrobe? This is all it would take:

Using the high end estimate, you spend $3250. That's not even a drop in the bucket compared to the total debt load. And you know what? A nice sports jacket for $250-400 won't hurt either. It will give a little extra zing when you're not wearing your white coat. Buying quality will make it last for YEARS. Buying it on sale will get you even more for your money, and as long as you're careful not to get anything too trendy, it will be in style for years.

What's the defense? It costs too much? No it doesn't. That 4k you spend will reap HUGE rewards when your attending sees you as a professional, not some schlub. Don't you think your patients will appreciate that you look like the kind of person they can trust their finances with, much less their health?

You have no sense of style? OK, that could be, but pick up a copy of GQ and just fake it! You mean to tell me you can memorize Harrison's, but you can't match three items of clothing following simple rules?

But you know, in a way, I'm glad that so many people seem incapable of making themselves look like a professional. It makes me stand out more!

That's my rant.

i think that is VERY pricey for the average med student. And whereas i agree they should loook professional, there is NO reason at all to spend tha tkind of money. you're out of your mind. :eek:

surebreC said:
You really think my patient is gonna care if its Banana Republic or Target that i'm wearing?
I doubt they'll be able to tell the difference and they certainly don't care. The OP is a little crazy and likes to throw around names.

And OP if I were thousands and thousands of dollars in debt i would choose to dress as best as I could (and of course look neat) without going any more into debt...there's a huge difference of spending the money you mentioned and looking neat and professional on a budget.

loveumms said:
Just read your other post about you and your attending. Maybe you should be worried less about how you and your colleagues are dressing and focus more on your professional reputation.

It always amazes me how people worry about superficial things, like how a person dresses, yet has such huge character flaws (such as sleeping with their attendings while drunk). Granted, I've done some stupid things when I'm drunk but, I at least have the common sense not to get wasted with my attendings then sleep with them.

Not only that – I for one would much rather have a doctor who is competent and compassionate then one who can dress well.
what thread was THAT posted on...somehow I missed it. And I totally agree with you; reputation is so much more important than how you dress.

edit: nm I found that thread :laugh:

sometime07 said:

I want to know which BR you shop at, because I can't leave that store without dropping a couple bills.
Damn I look fine in some BR.

Nerdoscience said:
By the way, what's the worst thing you've ever gotten on your clothes at work, be it scrubs or Italian wool pants. I got a mix of polyhydramnios fluid, meconium, and blood on my scrub pants leg once. I know people have gotten worse. And that was even with the gown and the shoe protectors up to my knees. Somehow got on my lap under the gown... And that's one reason I'm not going into OB.

I'll probably get a barrage of annecdotes in reply, but let me just say that the whole "I wear X b/c of flying bodily fluids" is for the most part a BS argument. How many people have actually had their dress clothes ruined on the floors? Obvioulsy yes in the OR and in L&D you are in the splatter seats, but I think it is pretty funny that people just have to wear scrubs so as to not sully their threads with all the fluid that is constantly squirting through the air in the hospital. The funniest to me are nurses and techs, who I'm sure would rebel if told they had to dress professionally and then go out and spend tons of money on all these designer scrubs.

I've been on surgery for months now and the worst that's happened to me is ketchup on my tie, it was a self-inflicted wound.

musicalMDorDO said:
I accidently found this thread. I am still in undergrad. I don't need to dress up for much important stuff now, but I know I would not be able to spend $1000+ on clothing for med school interviews. "Knock off" clothing from Target is affordable and seems it would be fine. I don't know why the OP is making such a big deal on looking nice BY getting costly designer clothes. It's a "drop in the bucket" compared to becoming an MD o DO overall but when you're living on a tight budget month by month it is not a drop in the bucket for your living expenses that particular month!

Good bye.

True, but bear in mind that interview clothes are things you wear for just a few days. The OP is talking about clothes people are able to wear day to day for years, so it's a little different. That being said, I see no reason why tan slacks and an oxford and comfy shoes isn't adequate.
Actually, if you are dressed too fancy patients, who are already sensitive about medical bills and have perceptions of "rich doctors" are going to feel fleeced (they don't care how much or how you actually are paid -- perception is reality). They may even at some level feel more willing to sue a doctor if he dresses like he has deep pockets. I know quite a few wealthy professionals who still drive to work in beat up volvos for exactly this reasoning. Save your fancy digs for nights out on the town.

AmoryBlaine said:
I've been on surgery for months now and the worst that's happened to me is ketchup on my tie, it was a self-inflicted wound.
Lol!

IbnSina said:
I want to know which BR you shop at, because I can't leave that store without dropping a couple bills.
Damn I look fine in some BR.
Clever name... =\

AmoryBlaine said:
I'll probably get a barrage of annecdotes in reply, but let me just say that the whole "I wear X b/c of flying bodily fluids" is for the most part a BS argument. How many people have actually had their dress clothes ruined on the floors? Obvioulsy yes in the OR and in L&D you are in the splatter seats, but I think it is pretty funny that people just have to wear scrubs so as to not sully their threads with all the fluid that is constantly squirting through the air in the hospital. The funniest to me are nurses and techs, who I'm sure would rebel if told they had to dress professionally and then go out and spend tons of money on all these designer scrubs.

The higher on the food chain, the less likely you will be to get anything on you in routine medical care. You may want to get somewhat more involved if you've only seen ketchup, of course taking care to avoid as much of the dripping blood from lines, betadine, etc.

As for the nurses and techs, who do you think helps all the people who can't make it to the bathroom on their own? You don't seem to have a good grasp of exactly how messy nursing care can be, particularly the techs who end up giving most of the patients their baths.

Why not dress up, take a picture, and hang it somewhere visible. Win-win situation: get the respect of the well-dressed man with the practicality of a badly dressed one?

AmoryBlaine said:

Well, how about in the MICU? Let's say you have to gown up to put in a central line. It can get pretty hot and uncomfortable wearing that stuff over street clothes. Or the ED. Hey, patients can be filthy. There are all kind of bodily fluids and cheeses that I'd prefer not to get on an expensive shirt.

The other thing is that office clothes are for office work which is basically sedentary and lasts from nine to five. Most residents, myself included, are constantly running around the hospital getting things done. I'm not complaining about the hours here at my new residency program because they ain't bad but I just don't like wearing a shirt and tie for thirteen hours of hustling around not to mention 30 hours of call.

I repeat, I don't want to dress for church, where I wear a suit, for work. I hate ties and never wore them when I was a Civil Engineer and see no reason why I should wear one now. What is the point of a tie, anyways? It's just useless decoration. Is it for warmth? Is it for protection? I believe work clothes should be functional which is why carpenters wear over-alls with tool-belts, soldiers wear battle-dress, and working doctors who touch patients should wear scrubs.

I am amazed at how conservative the younger generation is and how unwilling they are to fight The Man. You know, those old attendings who want everything to be the way it was when they were abused as residents.

Bobblehead said:
The higher on the food chain, the less likely you will be to get anything on you in routine medical care. You may want to get somewhat more involved if you've only seen ketchup, of course taking care to avoid as much of the dripping blood from lines, betadine, etc.

As for the nurses and techs, who do you think helps all the people who can't make it to the bathroom on their own? You don't seem to have a good grasp of exactly how messy nursing care can be, particularly the techs who end up giving most of the patients their baths.

Har har. Exactly right. One accident with a betadine swab can ruin an expensive shirt. That stuff does not come out. My lovely wife also refuses to wash anything in her washer that looks like it has some stranger's goo on it. Call it irrational but she's adamant about it. I have many, many pairs of scrubs most of which I kind of sort of glomed onto and I don't mind throwing them away. In fact, I once cut a scrub shirt off to avoid pulling a meconium spot over my head.

Speaking of laundry, the fact that I wear scrubs every day which can be stuffed into our gigantic Maytag Duo washer once every two weeks without regard to color or temperature and then thrown into a bin after they are dry greatly simplifies my lovely and long-suffering wife's housekeeping tasks. It avoids adding a shirt and a pair of tousers every day which need to be washed on different cycles and pressed to the laundry generated by my four children.

In exchange for simplifying life I'd get the pleasure of looking spiffy for some hypothermic bum covered in urine and his own (hopefully) feces.

Panda Bear said:
Har har. Exactly right. One accident with a betadine swab can ruin an expensive shirt. That stuff does not come out. My lovely wife also refuses to wash anything in her washer that looks like it has some stranger's goo on it. Call it irrational but she's adamant about it. I have many, many pairs of scrubs most of which I kind of sort of glomed onto and I don't mind throwing them away. In fact, I once cut a scrub shirt off to avoid pulling a meconium spot over my head.

Speaking of laundry, the fact that I wear scrubs every day which can be stuffed into our gigantic Maytag Duo washer once every two weeks without regard to color or temperature and then thrown into a bin after they are dry greatly simplifies my lovely and long-suffering wife's housekeeping tasks. It avoids adding a shirt and a pair of tousers every day which need to be washed on different cycles and pressed to the laundry generated by my four children.

In exchange for simplifying life I'd get the pleasure of looking spiffy for some hypothermic bum covered in urine and his own (hopefully) feces.

Wow. Speechless.

During my first year med all profs decided that no entrance to the hospital to a non-tied non-italian-shoed (must be shiny!) student!

I think it's silly that u judge a student for his clothes.
It's stupid to think that a tie may help patients get well, ok I agree some will, but not all ur fingers are the same, simply I like the doctor treating me wearing a jeans! others no!!!