Poorly Dressed Med Students Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sometime07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I've held it in too long....forgive the grammar/spelling because this is going to be quick...

Gentlemen:

What the hell is it with third and fourth year med students who work their asses off to get great grades, go to a great school, shine like a star, and want to rise to the top, but don't put a moment's thought into how they look to patients/faculty? I'm not talking basic grooming (which some people do seem to have a problem with, and they probably can't help it), I'm talking about being dressed like a professional, not a tech support guy.

Example: The most common outfit I see on med students is a pair of rarely-pressed khakis, a blue Gap oxford (usually wrinkled), and a tie that they got from their father's closet before they went off to college. Oh, and that's often coupled with an oh-so-stylish pair of beat-up Timberlands or Rockports that haven't seen a shoe shine since they left the factory in Cambodia.

The average med student will graduate with something like $150k of debt. After all that tuition, living expense, books, etc, why in the world would you not spend an extra 3-5k on a stellar wardrobe? This is all it would take:

1 or 2 pairs of well-maintained (weekly shine!) Italian shoes - $150-500
5 pairs of Italian wool dress pants - $500-750
10 quality English/Italian dress shirts (some plain, some pinstripe, some windowpane)- $1000
10 snazzy - yet sedate - silk ties (no ugly prints!) - $500-1000

Using the high end estimate, you spend $3250. That's not even a drop in the bucket compared to the total debt load. And you know what? A nice sports jacket for $250-400 won't hurt either. It will give a little extra zing when you're not wearing your white coat. Buying quality will make it last for YEARS. Buying it on sale will get you even more for your money, and as long as you're careful not to get anything too trendy, it will be in style for years.

What's the defense? It costs too much? No it doesn't. That 4k you spend will reap HUGE rewards when your attending sees you as a professional, not some schlub. Don't you think your patients will appreciate that you look like the kind of person they can trust their finances with, much less their health?

You have no sense of style? OK, that could be, but pick up a copy of GQ and just fake it! You mean to tell me you can memorize Harrison's, but you can't match three items of clothing following simple rules?

But you know, in a way, I'm glad that so many people seem incapable of making themselves look like a professional. It makes me stand out more!

That's my rant.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe we just dont give a ****. I think its more important to know my **** than look like I do. And I dont use my dad's tie because I don't wear ties, ties are for jackasses.

Members don't see this ad :)
zahque said:
or you could get knock-off shoes, ties and shirts from wal-mart for about a tenth of the price and look exactly the same.

No you won't. And you'd be buying the same things every year or two. Anyway, I don't even see THAT much of an attempt at style. It would be a step up for almost anyone I'm talking about to go that route.

dynx said:
maybe we just dont give a ****. I think its more important to know my **** than look like I do. And I dont use my dad's tie because I don't wear ties, ties are for jackasses.

You don't think everyone else also "knows [their] ****"? Guess what...you aren't in high school anymore bub. You need more than your grades to make you stand out.

And you think that every single respected male doctor is a jackass? Wow, way to fight the establishment, you free-thinker you!

sometime07 said:
And you think that every single respected male doctor is a jackass? Wow, way to fight the establishment, you free-thinker you!

Ties should be banned from the Hospital setting, it's a well established fact that ties are the #1 most useless item a doctor wears which spreads nosocomial infections.

At this moment, I'm in $180K debt for school alone, I'm not going to go another 5K in debt for spiffy cloths that are going to end up costing me 9K after interest.
And that doesn't even begin to talk about what a waste of money it is on those fancy cloths when they get **** on them, or blood, etc. This isn't a beauty contest.

sometime07 said:
OK, I've held it in too long....forgive the grammar/spelling because this is going to be quick...

Gentlemen:

What the hell is it with third and fourth year med students who work their asses off to get great grades, go to a great school, shine like a star, and want to rise to the top, but don't put a moment's thought into how they look to patients/faculty? I'm not talking basic grooming (which some people do seem to have a problem with, and they probably can't help it), I'm talking about being dressed like a professional, not a tech support guy.

Example: The most common outfit I see on med students is a pair of rarely-pressed khakis, a blue Gap oxford (usually wrinkled), and a tie that they got from their father's closet before they went off to college. Oh, and that's often coupled with an oh-so-stylish pair of beat-up Timberlands or Rockports that haven't seen a shoe shine since they left the factory in Cambodia.

The average med student will graduate with something like $150k of debt. After all that tuition, living expense, books, etc, why in the world would you not spend an extra 3-5k on a stellar wardrobe? This is all it would take:

10 quality English/Italian dress shirts (some plain, some pinstripe, some windowpane)- $1000

Using the high end estimate, you spend $3250. That's not even a drop in the bucket compared to the total debt load. And you know what? A nice sports jacket for $250-400 won't hurt either. It will give a little extra zing when you're not wearing your white coat. Buying quality will make it last for YEARS. Buying it on sale will get you even more for your money, and as long as you're careful not to get anything too trendy, it will be in style for years.

What's the defense? It costs too much? No it doesn't. That 4k you spend will reap HUGE rewards when your attending sees you as a professional, not some schlub. Don't you think your patients will appreciate that you look like the kind of person they can trust their finances with, much less their health?

You have no sense of style? OK, that could be, but pick up a copy of GQ and just fake it! You mean to tell me you can memorize Harrison's, but you can't match three items of clothing following simple rules?

But you know, in a way, I'm glad that so many people seem incapable of making themselves look like a professional. It makes me stand out more!

That's my rant.

That's why I just say I heart scrubs. Don't get me wrong, I still want to look good, that's why I have 5 pairs of vintage Italian "scrubs per l'ospedale"-$500. I just think it's silly to go into a specialty where you have to spend so much on ties, shirts, pants, belts, shoes, and coats, when for a measly $500 bucks, you can have your wardrobe for all of residency!

Sometime are you the type of guy that wears a bow-tie and thinks it looks good?

You can buy quality shirts, pants and ties at Marshals or TJ Max for a small amount money and look stylish.

BadVB750 said:
Sometime are you the type of guy that wears a bow-tie and thinks it looks good?

You can buy quality shirts, pants and ties at Marshals or TJ Max for a small amount money and look stylish.

So do it then. It would be a step in the right direction.

sometime07 said:

Gentlemen:

That's my rant.

You have to understand that $3k is a shiootload of money to an M3. The vast majority of that $150k in debt goes to tuition, fees, books, rent, and so we're living off of that last $1000 a month.

So if we have to choose between boy-band clothes and food, guess what??? Food wins.

excalibur said:
That's why I just say I heart scrubs. Don't get me wrong, I still want to look good, that's why I have 5 pairs of vintage Italian "scrubs per l'ospedale"-$500. I just think it's silly to go into a specialty where you have to spend so much on ties, shirts, pants, belts, shoes, and coats, when for a measly $500 bucks, you can have your wardrobe for all of residency!

In such a residency, I agree wholeheartedly, scrubs rock. But when you're seeing patients regularly, and you aren't a surgeon, they deserve more.

We have a guy in my class who wears Gucci and Prada. I'm sure he spent at least a few thousand on his wardrobe. He still looks like an idiot and we all make fun of him. Tight plaid pants with designer button ups and shiny shoes – looks ridiculous.

I think it’s important to look nice but, I think it’s stupid to spend a lot of money on the same look you can achieve by shopping at H&M, Gap, Target and other stores that basically copy the expensive designer duds.

Pretty bad that your talking s*** about med students not looking nice but you can’t even take the time to read your post and edit for grammar and spelling. Maybe you should spend less time worrying about others.

You're gonna be everyone's favorite attending when you have to evaluate students for that professionalism and dress box. "How dare you wear non-Italian shoes in my hospital!"

Members don't see this ad :)
joe6102 said:
You have to understand that $3k is a shiootload of money to an M3. The vast majority of that $150k in debt goes to tuition, fees, books, rent, and so we're living off of that last $1000 a month.

So if we have to choose between boy-band clothes and food, guess what??? Food wins.

Point well taken. So as others have suggested, you can fake it for less, then trade up when you have the money for it.

I think you should work for Queer Eye for the straight guy.

my wardrobe aint even several HUNDRED dollars.

$17 old navy wrinkle free khakis. $18 italian leather shoes. $12 shirts. $9 silk ties bought at Marshalls. i look oh so sexy paired with my shiny jet black slicked back hair.

most of us aren't so superficial. We don't go around checking out what BRAND clothes doctors are wearing.

loveumms said:
We have a guy in my class who wears Gucci and Prada. I'm sure he spent at least a few thousand on his wardrobe. He still looks like an idiot and we all make fun of him. Tight plaid pants with designer button ups and shiny shoes – looks ridiculous.

I think it’s important to look nice but, I think it’s stupid to spend a lot of money on the same look you can achieve by shopping at H&M, Gap, Target and other stores that basically copy the expensive designer duds.

Pretty bad that your talking s*** about med students not looking nice but you can’t even take the time to read your post and edit for grammar and spelling. Maybe you should spend less time worrying about others.

Obviously, that's why you don't get the craziest trendiest stuff. Just sedate, dressy clothes.

And really, med students can do whatever they want, but it's well-established that patients prefer doctors who are dressed professionally vs scrubs or casual clothes. So do it for the patients, not me.

Wearing expensive clothes doesn't mean you aren't a D-bag and the pt's attendings and residents will see through expensive clothes.

YouDontKnowJack said:
I think you should work for Queer Eye for the straight guy.

Ah, there it is, the gay joke. I knew it was coming. Congratulations, bigot! You win!

BadVB750 said:
Wearing expensive clothes doesn't mean you aren't a D-bag and the pt's attendings and residents will see through expensive clothes.

I'm not saying it substitutes for ability and bedside manner, but it helps to elevate you above the pack. And just like they see through expensive clothes, they see through extensive knowledge with no patient skills. They'd rather those students work in a lab or pathology than treat human beings.

sometime07 said:
Obviously, that's why you don't get the craziest trendiest stuff. Just sedate, dressy clothes.

And really, med students can do whatever they want, but it's well-established that patients prefer doctors who are dressed professionally vs scrubs or casual clothes. So do it for the patients, not me.

Dressed professionally, doesn't mean dressed expensively. 4K for your wardrobe on clinicals seems ridiculous to most students. You can achieve a professional appearance for far cheaper. That's why we're giving you a hard time.

excalibur said:
You're gonna be everyone's favorite attending when you have to evaluate students for that professionalism and dress box. "How dare you wear non-Italian shoes in my hospital!"

Why would you spend $500 on scrubs? That's even more ridiculous than perhaps over-valuing professional dress as the OP apparently does.

Northerner said:
That's even more ridiculous than perhaps over-valuing professional dress as the OP apparently does.

Good lord, I'm not valuing it more than eduction and ability. I'm just saying that it is currently UNDER valued among med students.

sometime07 said:
Ah, there it is, the gay joke. I knew it was coming. Congratulations, bigot! You win!

Isn't Queer eye for the straight guy a tv show were a guy criticizes how other guys dress?

Aren't you criticizing how other male medical students dress?

So how is he a bigot?

Northerner said:
Why would you spend $500 on scrubs? That's even more ridiculous than perhaps over-valuing professional dress as the OP apparently does.

ugh...I think there's a village looking for you right now.

yes, you got me. i'm a bigot and i'm always right.

Just because you have lots of debt doesn't mean it's ok to add even more debt.

go rack up more expenses on your (daddy's?) credit card.

$100 shirts. pfffftttt.......... :thumbdown:

excalibur said:
Dressed professionally, doesn't mean dressed expensively. 4K for your wardrobe on clinicals seems ridiculous to most students. You can achieve a professional appearance for far cheaper. That's why we're giving you a hard time.

So let's see them achieve that professional appearance! Lose the rumpled Gap khakis first, and then we'll talk quality.

BadVB750 said:
Isn't Queer eye for the straight guy a tv show were a guy criticizes how other guys dress?

Aren't you criticizing how other male medical students dress?

So how is he a bigot?

The "victim" on Queer eye welcomes the CONSTRUCTIVE critisism. I'm not just saying med students generally dress poorly, I'm giving them concrete ways to fix it.

YouDontKnowJack said:
Just because you have lots of debt doesn't mean it's ok to add even more debt.

go rack up more expenses on your (daddy's?) credit card.

$100 shirts. pfffftttt.......... :thumbdown:

I pay for med school myself, even if my "daddy" CAN afford it. And I consider it a worthwhile addition to my debt load, considering it will be last me for a decade or so.

sometime07 said:
Good lord, I'm not valuing it more than eduction and ability. I'm just saying that it is currently UNDER valued among med students.

I think you said in your first post that it's easy to look more professional, just spend 4k, which in the long run means nothing.

It's as if you were implying that it was relatively simple, just drop 4k on an Italian wardrobe. For some students this is way beyond the realm of financial feasibility.

If you think students need better attire to look more professional, that's one thing, but implying that they need to drop 4k to achieve this is kind of nuts.

excalibur said:
I think you said in your first post that it's easy to look more professional, just spend 4k, which in the long run means nothing.

It's as if you were implying that it was relatively simple, just drop 4k on an Italian wardrobe. For some students this is way beyond the realm of financial feasibility.

If you think students need better attire to look more professional, that's one thing, but implying that they need to drop 4k to achieve this is kind of nuts.

I will cede the point that you don't have to spend that much to look good. I'm just saying that even at the exorbitant end of the price spectrum, it's not all that crazy when taken in context.

oh no. i took the bait.

This thread was started by Mr. I-fu*ked-a-Hot-Attending.

good job at stirring everyone up.

you seriously need to quit med school and start working for both Grey's Anatomy and Queer Eye.

sometime07 said:

Just read your other post about you and your attending. Maybe you should be worried less about how you and your colleagues are dressing and focus more on your professional reputation.

It always amazes me how people worry about superficial things, like how a person dresses, yet has such huge character flaws (such as sleeping with their attendings while drunk). Granted, I've done some stupid things when I'm drunk but, I at least have the common sense not to get wasted with my attendings then sleep with them.

Not only that – I for one would much rather have a doctor who is competent and compassionate then one who can dress well.

loveumms said:
Just read your other post about you and your attending. Maybe you should be worried less about how you and your colleagues are dressing and focus more on your professional reputation.

It always amazes me how people worry about superficial things, like how a person dresses, yet has such huge character flaws (such as sleeping with their attendings while drunk). Granted, I've done some stupid things when I'm drunk but, I at least have the common sense not to get wasted with my attendings then sleep with them.

I agree, I made a stupid mistake, but that doesn't change the crux of my argument.

Not only that – I for one would much rather have a doctor who is competent and compassionate then one who can dress well.

Again, I agree, it doesn't replace competence. But it enhances your professional appearance.

average looking med students should consider plastic surgery....

my stethoscope's tubing is wrapped with leather custom-designed by LV....

:D

D30417995 said:
average looking med students should consider plastic surgery....

Nah, they'll never get into a plastic surgery program ;)

This is the funniest thread I've read in a long time! I don't know what med school you are going to, but I went to one where the attendings didn't expect you to spend 2 and a half months worth of living money from your maxed out loans to buy dress clothes.

I know that our budget (like most) is set by some troll in the student affairs office who has no idea how much money we actually need. She actually sent an email out a month ago stating that "There was a 9% tuition increase that was not included in your budgets for the year. If any of you want it, please send an email." 9% is $1500, who on earth DIDN'T need that? So, you see, we would have to take out additional, non-student loans to afford this clothing if we didn't already have the money.
I fully agree with trying to look at least moderately professional, as there is one kid in our class who wears black puma's every day with his khakis, but there is a limit. Dockers are just fine. You can buy Hilfiger, Tommy Bahama, and Polo at TJ Maxx if you want to look like one of those people that wear that. But some of us wear Oxford cloth just fine, and some like the shiny shirts.
As mentioned in another thread, the more expensive the clothes, the longer and thicker I want my white coat.
But I don't think wearing scrubs every day cuts it either. You want to work in your PJs, fine. But my patients deserve more. I know surgeons who change after surgery before they round on patients. Usually ortho guys, but many others do as well.

sometime07 said:

Actually I think I read somewhere that patients prefer doctors in scrubs, white coat and a "healthy tan" :rolleyes: . Go figure.

sometime07 said:

Gentlemen:

That's my rant.

in the end, one point in your boards will probably carry more weight than that 3-4k you spent when it comes to matching.

oh, and some of us look good no matter WHAT we wear ;) *puts on vain face*

socuteMD said:
Actually I think I read somewhere that patients prefer doctors in scrubs, white coat and a "healthy tan" :rolleyes: . Go figure.

The first few Google results for "patients prefer professionally dressed":

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3619/is_200206/ai_n9121432

http://www.japmaonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/96/2/132 (For podiatrists, but I think the results apply across health professional fields. I particularly liked this line: "The results indicate that 68% of patients surveyed felt that professional attire inspired the most confidence.")

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=16271913&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum
"On all questions regarding physician dress style preferences, respondents significantly favored the professional attire with white coat (76.3%, P <.0001), followed by surgical scrubs (10.2%), business dress (8.8%), and casual dress (4.7%). Their trust and confidence was significantly associated with their preference for professional dress (P <.0001). Respondents also reported that they were significantly more willing to share their social, sexual, and psychological problems with the physician who is professionally dressed (P <.0001). The importance of physician's appearance was ranked similarly between male and female respondents (P=.54); however, female physicians' dress appeared to be significantly more important to respondents than male physicians' dress (P <.001). CONCLUSION: Respondents overwhelmingly favor physicians in professional attire with a white coat. Wearing professional dress (ie, a white coat with more formal attire) while providing patient care by physicians may favorably influence trust and confidence-building in the medical encounter."

So yeah.

SeventhSon said:
in the end, one point in your boards will probably carry more weight than that 3-4k you spent when it comes to matching.

You're telling me one point matters more than an attending taking note of your constantly professional appearance in an evaluation letter? Residency programs have plenty of brainiacs to choose from. Someone who puts patients at ease and wins their trust is harder to come by. I would say it's worth more than 10 points on the boards (and who wouldn't pay 4k for 10 more points?).

sometime07 said:
If you want to act like a gay person, don't be surprised when you get called gay. You should listen to some Dave Chapelle some time. And there's nothing wrong with being gay.

sometime07 said:
You're telling me one point matters more than an attending taking note of your constantly professional appearance in an evaluation letter? Residency programs have plenty of brainiacs to choose from. Someone who puts patients at ease and wins their trust is harder to come by. I would say it's worth more than 10 points on the boards (and who wouldn't pay 4k for 10 more points?).

i'm telling you that the nuances of your demeanor in the wards will ultimately comprise a far greater share of your attending's impression of you than your wardrobe. Basically, it is negligible unless all other things are equal... which often is the case, which is why i'm saying it still can be a factor, but to many, it's not worth it.

As a poster pointed out earlier, splurging because you're already far in the hole is constipated logic.

sometime07 said:
(and who wouldn't pay 4k for 10 more points?).

But if your $4K wardrobe is what caused you to be unable to fight off the advances of attractive female attendings, then your $4K really just bought you a lousy evaluation, and possibly more trouble down the road. Who would pay $4k for 10 more points, but the worst evals ever?

jocg27 said:
But if your $4K wardrobe is what caused you to be unable to fight off the advances of attractive female attendings, then your $4K really just bought you a lousy evaluation, and possibly more trouble down the road. Who would pay $4k for 10 more points, but the worst evals ever?

See post #34. I agree it was stupid.

I like dressing up, but I'm so tired when I wake up, and I have to ride my bike to school, so dress clothes don't get a whole lot of use. :( some day though, when the MD paycheck arrives, I would like to get good threads that will last me years to come. Until then, I'll keep wearing my $25 jeans and $15 t-shirts with shoes that are down to about 3 cents per wearing ($30 - I've worn them probably 250 days a year for two years :p).

But if you want to see some style, come check out the couch I bought :cool:

sometime07 said:

Queer Eye is actually a pretty funny show where a bunch of shallow, materialistic and stereotypically stylish gay guys try to whip the stereotypically slobby hetero guy into shape. Your OP read like a script from Queer Eye. I found the tone of the post more offensive than some oblique gay reference.

Oh, and before you call ME a bigot. I'm a gay guy who dresses as he pleases. When I dress, I dress for comfort, economy and convenience. However, I clean up well and have two really nice suits for those occassions that require that I dress.

:rolleyes:

Wow this thread is hilarious... it's like paris hilton as a med student.